Class: Skeletal muscle relaxant, centrally acting
- Caplets 250 mg
Parafon Forte DSC
- Caplets 500 mg
- Tablets 250 mg
Action may be related to its sedative properties or to inhibition of reflex arcs at spinal cord and subcortical levels of brain.
T max is 1 to 2 h.
Excreted in the urine as glucuronide conjugate. Less than 1% is excreted in the urine as unchanged drug. The t ½ is about 60 min.
3 to 4 h.
Indications and Usage
Relief of discomfort associated with painful musculoskeletal conditions.
Dosage and AdministrationAdults
PO Initial (for acute pain): 500 mg 3 or 4 times daily; increase to 750 mg if needed. As improvement occurs, reduce dose; 250 mg 3 or 4 times daily is usually sufficient.
Give with meals to avoid GI upset.
Drug InteractionsAlcohol and other CNS depressants
Additive CNS depressant effects may occur.
Laboratory Test Interactions
None well documented.
Drowsiness; dizziness; lightheadedness; malaise; overstimulation.
Allergic-type skin rashes; petechiae.
Urine discoloration (orange or purple red).
Hypersensitivity (eg, angioneurotic edema; anaphylaxis).
Pregnancy category undetermined.
Avoid use in patients with liver impairment; discontinue if signs of dysfunction occur.
May impair ability to perform tasks requiring mental or physical coordination or dexterity, including driving. Drowsiness is very common.
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, drowsiness, dizziness, lightheadedness, malaise, sluggishness, loss of muscle tone, decreased deep tendon reflex, respiratory depression.
- Instruct patient to inform health care provider of any urticaria, redness or itching.
- Tell patient to report to health care provider any yellowing of skin or eyes.
- Advise patient that drug may cause drowsiness and to use caution while driving or performing other tasks that require mental alertness.
- Advise patient to avoid intake of alcoholic beverages and other medications that cause drowsiness while taking product.
- Advise patient to notify health care provider before discontinuing medication.
- Inform patient to take a missed dose as soon as possible, unless several hours have passed. Advise patient not to double doses.
- Inform patient urine may turn orange or purple-red while taking this medication.
- Instruct patient to take with meals to avoid GI upset.
Copyright © 2009 Wolters Kluwer Health.
More about chlorzoxazone
- Other brands: Parafon Forte DSC