omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acidsPronunciation
Generic Name: omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (oh MAY ga 3 POL ee un SAT yoo ray ted FAT ee AS ids)
Brand Name: Animi-3, Cardio Omega Benefits, Divista, Dry Eye Omega Benefits, EPA Fish Oil, Fish Oil, Fish Oil Ultra, Flex Omega Benefits, Icar Prenatal Essential Omega-3, Lovaza, MaxEPA, MaxiTears Dry Eye Formula, MaxiVision Omega-3 Formula, MegaKrill, Mi-Omega NF, Mom's Omega Advantage, Sea-Omega, TheraTears Nutrition, TherOmega, Vascazen, ...show all 35 brand namesMarine Lipid Concentrate, Super-EPA, Proepa, Omega-500, Omacor, Sea-Omega 30, Sea-Omega 70, Mi-Omega, Animi-3 with Vitamin D, Omega Essentials, Omega Essentials Basic, TherOmega Sport, Nature's Bounty Red Krill Oil, Sundown Naturals Triple Strength Red Krill Oil, Prenatal DHA
What is omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids?
Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids are found in oil from certain types of fish, vegetables, and other plant sources. These fatty acids are not made by the body and must be consumed in the diet. Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids work by lowering the body's production of triglycerides. High levels of triglycerides can lead to coronary artery disease, heart disease, and stroke.
Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids are used together with diet and exercise to help lower triglyceride levels in the blood.
It is not known if omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids will prevent a heart attack or stroke. Talk to your doctor about your risk factors.
Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What is the most important information I should know about omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids?
Follow all directions on your medicine label and package. Tell each of your healthcare providers about all your medical conditions, allergies, and all medicines you use.
What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids?
You should not take this medicine if you are allergic to fish, shellfish, or soybeans.
Ask a doctor or pharmacist if it is safe for you to take this medicine if you have other medical conditions, especially:
a heart rhythm disorder;
a pancreas disorder;
if you drink more than 2 alcoholic beverages per day.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids will harm an unborn baby. Do not use this medicine without a doctor's advice if you are pregnant.
It is not known whether omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids pass into breast milk or if this could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medicine without a doctor's advice if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Do not give this medication to anyone under 18 years old.
How should I take omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids?
Use exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Swallow the omega-3 polyunsaturated capsule whole. Do not puncture or open the capsule.
This medication works best if you take it with food.
Do not crush, chew, break, or dissolve a delayed-release capsule. Swallow it whole.
Measure liquid medicine with the dosing syringe provided, or with a special dose-measuring spoon or medicine cup. If you do not have a dose-measuring device, ask your pharmacist for one.
While using omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, you may need frequent blood tests.
Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids is only part of a treatment program that may also include diet, exercise, and weight control. Follow your doctor's instructions very closely.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Do not freeze.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I avoid while taking omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids?
Avoid eating foods that are high in fat or cholesterol. This medication will not be as effective in lowering your triglycerides if you do not follow the diet plan recommended by your doctor.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It can increase triglycerides and may make your condition worse.
Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using this medicine and call your doctor at once if you have:
fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
chest pain; or
Common side effects may include:
upset stomach, belching;
loss of appetite;
back pain; or
dry mouth, altered sense of taste.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids dosing information
Usual Adult Dose for Hypertriglyceridemia:
Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids - Nutritional Supplement
General dosage range: 2 to 4 grams orally daily in 2 to 3 divided doses.
Omega-3-acid ethyl esters (Omacor, Lovaza)
Dosage: 4 grams per day as either a single 4 gram dose or as a 2 gram dose twice a day (Patients should be placed on an appropriate lipid lowering diet before receiving omega-3-acid ethyl esters and should continue this diet during treatment with omega-3-acid ethyl esters.) In clinical studies, omega-3-acid ethyl esters capsules were administered with meals.
Omega-3-acid capsules should not be squeezed into disposable foam plastic cups or crushed.
What other drugs will affect omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids?
Other drugs may interact with omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Tell each of your health care providers about all medicines you use now and any medicine you start or stop using.
More about omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids
- Krill Oil
- Folic acid/vitamin b6/vitamin b12/omega-3 acids/phytosterols
- Folic acid/vitamin b6/vitamin b12/omega-3 fatty acids/biotin/chromium
- Folic acid/vitamin d/vitamin b6/vitamin b12/omega-3 acids/phytosterols
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- More (3) »
Related treatment guides
Where can I get more information?
- Your pharmacist can provide more information about omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 6.07. Revision Date: 2014-12-05, 6:17:10 PM.