Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Dosage
This dosage information may not include all the information needed to use Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids safely and effectively. See additional information for Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids.
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. ALWAYS consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Usual Adult Dose for:
Additional dosage information:
Usual Adult Dose for Hypertriglyceridemia
Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids - Nutritional Supplement
General dosage range: 2 to 4 grams orally daily in 2 to 3 divided doses.
Omega-3-acid ethyl esters (Omacor, Lovaza)
Dosage: 4 grams per day as either a single 4 gram dose or as a 2 gram dose twice a day (Patients should be placed on an appropriate lipid lowering diet before receiving omega-3-acid ethyl esters and should continue this diet during treatment with omega-3-acid ethyl esters.) In clinical studies, omega-3-acid ethyl esters capsules were administered with meals.
Omega-3-acid capsules should not be squeezed into disposable foam plastic cups or crushed.
Renal Dose Adjustments
Data not available
Liver Dose Adjustments
Data not available
A nurse caring for a patient who was unable to swallow capsules of omega-3-acid ethyl esters (Lovaza) punched holes in the large soft gelatin capsule, squeezed the oily yellow liquid contents into a disposable foam plastic cup, and diluted it with cranberry juice. Later, as the patient raised the cup to drink the juice, the cup began to leak. In a test run by pharmacy colleagues at Reading Hospital in Reading, PA, a foam plastic cup containing the liquid from an omega-3-acid ethyl esters (Lovaza) capsule began to dissolve within a minute; the bottom of the cup completely dissolved within 10 minutes. It is not known whether it is the omega-3-acid or some other component of the liquid that is causing this reaction. The effect upon other types of plastic (e.g., oral syringes) and potential toxicity from dissolved plasticizers is also unknown and needs to be investigated. At a minimum, until manufacturers update their labeling, capsules should not be crushed.
Safety and effectiveness have not been established in pediatric patients (less than 18 years of age).
Data not available
Laboratory studies should be performed to confirm that the patient triglyceride levels are consistently abnormal before beginning therapy with omega-3-acid ethyl ester (Omacor, Lovaza) capsules.
Laboratory studies should be performed periodically to measure the patients triglyceride levels during Omacor and Lovaza therapy. Omacor therapy should be withdrawn in patients who do not have an adequate response after 2 months of treatment.
Use of lipid regulating agents should only be considered after reasonable attempts have been made to obtain satisfactory results with alternative methods. If a decision is made to use lipid regulating agents, the patient should be advised that the use of lipid regulating agents does not reduce the importance of adhering to diet.
- Krill Oil consumer information
- Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids Side Effects
- Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids Drug Interactions
- Animi-3 (folic acid, cholecalciferol, pyridoxine hydrochloride, cyanocobalamin, omega-3 fatty acids, doconexent, icosapent and soy sterol) capsule dosage information
- Animi-3 with Vitamin D (folic acid, cholecalciferol, pyridoxine hydrochloride, cyanocobalamin, omega-3 fatty acids, doconexent, icosapent and soy sterol) capsule dosage information
- Divista (chromium picolinate, biotin, pyridoxine, cyanocobalamin, folic acid and omega-3-acid ethyl esters) capsule dosage information
- Dry Eye Omega Benefits (omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids) consumer information
- Fish Oil (omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids) consumer information
- Lovaza (omega-3-acid ethyl esters) capsule, liquid filled dosage information
- Mi-Omega NF (folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, cyanocobalamin, omega-3-acid ethyl esters and sitosterol) capsule dosage information
- Omacor (omega-3-acid ethyl esters) Capsules dosage information
- Omacor (omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids) consumer information