Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trazodone
    kabes is offline New Member

Default Trazodone

I have just started taking an old anti-deppressant, Trazodone, and can barely stay awake or function. I take 50mgs. 4x. Guess my dr. thought this med. would help since I have not responded to any of the newer anti-deppressants.Has anyone taken or is taking this med. had any benifits from it and I would like to know any of your first reactions to the medication. [?]

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

I have used trazadone when I've had trouble sleeping.My doctor ordered it for me saying that it's an anti-depressant but one of the side effects is that it makes you sleepy.I asked him if he could order me something to help me sleep but that I didn't want a sleeping pill because I tend to abuse them.He told me trazadone was safe and non-addictive.I have since stopped taking them as I am sleeping better.I found them to be a good drug to help you sleep but I can't comment on the anti-depressant side of the drug as I'm not depressed..........Dave

P.S. I hope you are feeling better soon.....Dave

Dave thank you very much for your input. I am feeling so much better today now that I have discontinued useing trazodone.. I was just a zombie on that stuff and could not tolerate another minute of it. Take care, Kevin

forum_user22 is offline New Member

Did I read your post correctly where it says you were prescribed 50mgs 4x a DAY???? If so, it is no wonder you are a walking zombie! I have been on Trazodone for years, and have found it to be a great anti-depressant and sleeping aid--however I was started out on 50mgs to be taken only at night- I was GRADUALLY (over a period of years) taken to a higher dose to where now i take 200mgs at night only. i have never heard of trazodone being prescribed to take in the daytime-it is sedating and should only be taken at night, and at a low as dose as possible in the beginning. I have fibromyalgia as well as clinical depression and the med has been good for me. IMO i think you just need a lower dose and take it at night. Good luck.

My dr. did prescribe 50mgs. 4x daily and after reading your response I see that it is way too much.. Thanks for the info. and glad it's working for you.. Take care [8D]

Nena is offline New Member

Hey all. I just started taking Trazodone (I've been on it for about 2 weeks) and the Dr. told me to take it at night and to take 1 tab (50 mg). I have trouble sleeping and usually rely on sleep aids to help me fall asleep. Well, so far this med hasn't done anything to help me sleep. I read (I think in the insert) that a regular dose of this med is around 150 mg-- probably no wonder I'm not sleeping, but I guess you do have to start on a low dose and then increase gradually, but after two weeks, I think I should increase to 100 mg because I end up having to take a sleep aid along with this med and I don't want to take too much medication.
    Does anyone know how long this drug has been on the market? and what are the dangers of taking it for a long time (e.g. tardive dyskenesia, etc.) By the way, I'm 27.

pellegrin42 is offline New Member

I take Trazodone to help me go to sleep. Has anyone noticed decreased libido (like you get on prozac)? It's not listed as a side effect, but I seem to be affected by it. thanks

delicious_awishes is offline Junior Member

damm I cant belive your Dr. prescribed trazdone 4x a day thats ridiculas . Ive never heard of that Trazdone is uasually prescibed for sleep beccause its non habbit forming . I was prescibed Remeron 15mg a day at bedtime about 10 months ago and it works very well but I think I need to up my dose. You might want to ask your Dr. about it. Just wanted to let you know...

Casey55 is offline Member

Desyrel (trazodone generic) is used for depression. So I was curious and looked it up and sleepiness doesn't seem to be a side effect, just the opposite. Listed under Major side effects was: inability to fall or stay asleep.

I am curious why it is being prescribed as a sleep med.?

http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/des1128.htm

Casey

hey have you ever took trzadone . It makes you sleepy as hell . well not everybody but a majority of the people.

Casey55 is offline Member

Yes, as a matter of fact I did take Desyrel for 8 months and it didn't make me sleepy one single bit. I had to take Ativan in order to sleep.

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt it can make people sleepy, but it doesn't look like that is the norm. Either way, I still wonder why it would be prescribed strictly for sleep when it is an antidepressant and there are lots of other meds out there that are specifically for sleep. Just wondering, that is all.

Karen

All the Dr. always tell me that the reason why they always try to prescribe antidepresents instead of sleep meds is because the sleep meds are habbit forming,And with my past history they dont weant to get me started on something else.

JennAnn is offline Junior Member

I was given Trazodone for insomnia by my psychologist. I was never told to take it during the day, only before bedtime. 1 - 2 before bed!

One day at a time....

abyss is offline New Member

I was given Trazodone for insomnia. For months I was only getting 3-4 hours sleep a night. Other nights I would wake up every hour on the hour until I just gave up and got up. I take 50mg at bed and I only wake up maybe once at 4 or 5am and able to go right back to sleep. I average 7 - 8 hours sleep now and finally feel like im getting back on track.

Sonata didn't work because it only stays in your system 3 or 4 hours and you wake up. Xanax works but you have to pop another one after 4 hours or so and wait 30 minutes to fall back asleep.

I don't have any side effects and wake up feeling much better than when I was doing Xanax.

stateskater is offline New Member

Exclamation Trazodone is no good!

The makers of Trazodone are full of ******************** and so are the doctors who prescribe it...there are too many dangerous side effects for this medicine to be effective. This medicine has literally caused me to lose my damn mind. I hear people talking to me and laughing at me. I constantly think suicidal thoughts...or thoughts of dying. This is a medicine that makes people paranoid and crazy. It is probably meant for crazy people....and crazy people prescribe it for other crazy people....I would advise ANYONE taking it to stop immediately if you share some of the same side effects as me. This medicine will definitely have one in a straight jacket.....GIVE IT UP!!!!!

frostypenguin101 is offline New Member

I am on both Flouxetine and Trazodone. I take the Flouxetine when I first wake up, and the Trazodone right before I go to bed. The Flouxetine is for depression, and the Trazodone is for an anxiety disorder. I do not feel as though I should be taking the Trazodone. It makes me feel kinda sick in the morning, and I feel overly paranoid about random things ever since I have started taking it.

ymccormack is offline Member

I was prescribed trazadone by the Haight Ashbury clinic to help with opiate withdrawl. It made me super sleepy and - if you take too much -- it gives you nightmare. I didn't believe the last part..but i got greedy one night - they were right, I had nightmares. I didn't have any problems while I took it....it really seemed to help me sleep - but I would never, never take it in the daytime.

YM
    Last edited by ymccormack; 04-03-2008 at 12:15 PM.

dr_kals is offline New Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by forum_user22 View Post
    Did I read your post correctly where it says you were prescribed 50mgs 4x a DAY???? If so, it is no wonder you are a walking zombie! I have been on Trazodone for years, and have found it to be a great anti-depressant and sleeping aid--however I was started out on 50mgs to be taken only at night- I was GRADUALLY (over a period of years) taken to a higher dose to where now i take 200mgs at night only. i have never heard of trazodone being prescribed to take in the daytime-it is sedating and should only be taken at night, and at a low as dose as possible in the beginning. I have fibromyalgia as well as clinical depression and the med has been good for me. IMO i think you just need a lower dose and take it at night. Good luck.
    Dats true man.! It should be taken only at night.!
    One of my friend was prescribed the Trazodone. He was taking 50 mg od at night.! Thats it.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by dr_kals View Post
    Dats true man.! It should be taken only at night.!
    One of my friend was prescribed the Trazodone. He was taking 50 mg od at night.! Thats it.

Everyone has side effects to one medication or another. Trazodone has been prescribed successfully for many years. The number of people who react adversely are in such a minority. But it shouldn't be taken during the day unless you want to take a nap. It will put most people to sleep at just about any dose when you first start on it, and any dose over 100mg after a reasonable amount of time. God bless.

alwaysashley is offline New Member

I was put on trazodone at one point for depression and another point for my insomnia (I've been on a lot of meds so.....this is just one of them)....and from my experience, it didn't put me to sleep at all, but I'm one of those people that....benadryl and nyquil and zyrtec and ambien and amitriptyline and remeron all at the same time on significant doses and I still don't fall asleep SOO my advice isn't always best as far as sleep goes, I'm just a chronic insomniac at heart and I hate it I do agree though that the dose you were put on is very excessive for a starting dose or even for a dose during the day wtf?? would this doc put you on ambien during the day too?? I mean seriously....

fitzcoyote is offline Junior Member

What is the interaction with trazadone and methadone? My fiance (as I have stated on other threads) is making the attempt to get clean...and while I now know xanax is no good...can he take the trazadone at night? I tend to think no...but if he could, it might help him with sleep and the anxiety....
    always pondering~

Quote Originally Posted by fitzcoyote View Post
    What is the interaction with trazadone and methadone? My fiance (as I have stated on other threads) is making the attempt to get clean...and while I now know xanax is no good...can he take the trazadone at night? I tend to think no...but if he could, it might help him with sleep and the anxiety....
    always pondering~

He is so lucky that he has you to watch out for him. You're doing such a great job. There is a moderate drug to drug potential for interaction here for a similar reaction to that of with xanax. Both xanax and trazodone have the potential for respiratory depression when used with methadone.

My personal feelings are that trazodone does not have quite as serious of a potential for problems with methadone as xanax does but the possibility does still exist. I have just seen so many drugs interact with methadone that it scares me to death to tell someone who is trusting my opinion to do something that could affect another human being's life.

If I was going to choose which medication in my opinion would be safer for him to use it would be trazodone. Would I feel safer if he didn't use either one? The answer is yes. I know when we talked on the other thread you were thinking about him making the switch to suboxone. I am kind of curious to know if you have come to any decision on that subject as well.

I would ask you to do something here. Some questions I might ask that can be rather personal I would rather ask off the forum instead of asking you to post an answer for the world to read. Click on my screen name and you will see a link to personally email me through this site. Please email me so we can discuss this one subject in more privacy. I will reply as soon as I hear from you. God bless.

fitzcoyote is offline Junior Member

did I find the email correctly?
    "If the horse don't pull you have to carry the load"

...always pondering~

Quote Originally Posted by fitzcoyote View Post
    did I find the email correctly?

Looking for your email ... ok ... there it is. I have it. give me a few minutes to reply.......

Scooter3535 is offline New Member

Smile Trazodone

Trazodone only makes be eat more. I take it about 12am and at 1am I start eating. But on 10 pounds in a month. Take 200mg at night and does not help me sleep at all.

futuredoc4u is offline New Member

I believe trazodone is used to treat insomnia or sleep disorders. You might want to consult which best meds you can take. This depends on your system, of course.

=============

pharmacy overnight

Default Re: Trazodone

The advice to take drugs that make you drowsy only at night is excellent if you need to drive. Remember, you can get a DUI even when taking drugs that are legally prescribed by your doctor. Good luck!

cez6 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenKavinoky View Post
    The advice to take drugs that make you drowsy only at night is excellent if you need to drive. Remember, you can get a DUI even when taking drugs that are legally prescribed by your doctor. Good luck!
    Yes, it is excellent if you need to drive but don't abuse it. It may harm your brain and will cause to addiction.

spadeboy is offline New Member

trazodone is usually taken as an initial dose of 150 mg at night in healthy adults. the dose is reduced for elderly and sensitive patients and can begin as low as 50 mg taken at night. there is nothing to state that the drug cannot be taken during the day, it really does depend on the condition being treated. for example, if you are treating very severe anxiety, daytime dosing can be very beneficial.

like all antidepressants, trazodone has its side effects, but i would never advise anybody to discontinue the drug and there is no evidence that it has the ability to drive anybody insane or give suicidal ideation (which is a common feature of depressive illness anyway - so which came first?).

trazodone is actually unique in the world of antidepressants in that it resembles the SSRIs (prozac et al) in its action, is related to the tricyclic antidepressants (amitriptyline et al) and is strucurally similar to the tetracyclic antidepressants (mianserin et al). while it prevents the re-update of serotonin, the drug also has a positive effect on the production of dopamine, which is why some folks here have said they feel a bit sick while taking it. the drug does not have any horrendous side effects, as it is by far and away safer than the older antidepressants. also, for the guys here, the drug is far less likely to interfere with your ability to get a boner, so a sex life is still possible. headaches are a common side effect, as is constipation and drowsiness. some people may not experience drowsiness, but that depends on the person. most will, but the odd one or two will not and it depends on how your body reacts to the increase in dopamine - which for most of us will produce a state of wakefulness.

being senstive to the drug does not mean you are silly or weak, just that the standard dose is a bit too much. i would highly recommond that you stay on the drug, as it is far less problematic than many other antidepressants. what i would advise is a lower dose, which is taken only at night. a good start would be 100 mg at night, taken as two 50 mg capsules. this way, if you feel that is too much, you can easily drop the dose to one 50 mg capsule at night. it may be a good idea to leave a glass of water beside your bed, as it can and often dose produce a dry mouth which can be unpleasant if you wake up feeling that way.

this drug has been around since the 1960s and was developed in italy. more recently it has been used for trials for all kinds of behavioural disorders and is producing favourable results (along with other therapies, such as cognitive therapy, for example). i know a lot of people do tend to mix this drug with such as fluoxetine, but really this can and often dose cause something of an overload and it might be wise to approach that one with caution.

finally - just think, for some hospitalised patients (although this can be approved for ambulatory patients in an out-patient setting, if approved by a consultant) the dose of this drug can be 600 mg per day, taken as either 300 mg twice a day or 150 mg four times a day. now that is what i could call a knock-out formula!

i hope this information helps and that you start feeling much better soon.

neffer738 is offline New Member

Hello Kabes
    I am currently taking Trazadone for sleeping. I take 1 before bed and it completly knocks me out. Your taking 4, 4x a day it no wonder your sleepy. I am also taking Cymbalta which is absolutely wonderful as far as anxiety and depression. Maybe you should switch to Cymbalta and use trazadone for sleeping. Hope this helps a bit.
    Keep Well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast