Generic name: saquinavir mesylate
Dosage form: tablet, film coated; capsules
This dosage information does not include all the information needed to use Invirase safely and effectively. See full prescribing information for Invirase.
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. ALWAYS consult your doctor or pharmacist.
INVIRASE must be used in combination with ritonavir because ritonavir significantly inhibits saquinavir's metabolism to provide increased plasma saquinavir levels.
- INVIRASE 1000-mg twice daily (5 × 200-mg capsules or 2 × 500-mg tablets) in combination with ritonavir 100-mg twice daily.
- Ritonavir should be taken at the same time as INVIRASE.
- INVIRASE and ritonavir should be taken within 2 hours after a meal.
- No additional ritonavir is recommended when INVIRASE is administered with lopinavir/ritonavir 400/100 mg twice daily.
- â€‹Pediatric dose recommendations that are both reliably effective and below thresholds of concern for QT and PR interval prolongation could not be determined.
Administration for Patients Unable to Swallow Capsules
â€‹Open the INVIRASE capsules and place the contents into an empty container. Add 15 mL of either sugar syrup or sorbitol syrup (for patients with Type 1 diabetes or glucose intolerance) OR 3 teaspoons of jam to the contents of INVIRASE capsules that are in the container. Stir with a spoon for 30 to 60 seconds. Administer the full amount prepared for each dose. Suspensions should be at room temperature before administering.