Cardizem CD Dosage
Generic name: diltiazem hydrochloride
Dosage form: capsule
This dosage information does not include all the information needed to use Cardizem CD safely and effectively. See full prescribing information for Cardizem CD.
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. ALWAYS consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Patients controlled on diltiazem alone or in combination with other medications may be switched to CARDIZEM CD capsules at the nearest equivalent total daily dose. Higher doses of CARDIZEM CD may be needed in some patients. Patients should be closely monitored. Subsequent titration to higher or lower doses may be necessary and should be initiated as clinically warranted. There is limited general clinical experience with doses above 360 mg, but doses to 540 mg have been studied in clinical trials. The incidence of side effects increases as the dose increases with first-degree AV block, dizziness, and sinus bradycardia bearing the strongest relationship to dose.
Hypertension. Dosage needs to be adjusted by titration to individual patient needs. When used as monotherapy, reasonable starting doses are 180 to 240 mg once daily, although some patients may respond to lower doses. Maximum antihypertensive effect is usually observed by 14 days of chronic therapy; therefore, dosage adjustments should be scheduled accordingly. The usual dosage range studied in clinical trials was 240 to 360 mg once daily. Individual patients may respond to higher doses of up to 480 mg once daily.
Angina. Dosages for the treatment of angina should be adjusted to each patient's needs, starting with a dose of 120 or 180 mg once daily. Individual patients may respond to higher doses of up to 480 mg once daily. When necessary, titration may be carried out over a 7- to 14-day period.
Concomitant Use With Other Cardiovascular Agents
- Sublingual NTG. May be taken as required to abort acute anginal attacks during CARDIZEM CD (diltiazem hydrochloride) therapy.
- Prophylactic Nitrate Therapy. CARDIZEM CD may be safely coadministered with short- and long-acting nitrates.
- Beta-blockers (see WARNINGS and PRECAUTIONS).
- Antihypertensives. CARDIZEM CD has an additive antihypertensive effect when used with other antihypertensive agents. Therefore, the dosage of CARDIZEM CD or the concomitant antihypertensives may need to be adjusted when adding one to the other.
- Cardizem CD Side Effects
- Cardizem CD Drug Interactions
- Cardizem (diltiazem hydrochloride) tablet, coated dosage information
- Cardizem (diltiazem) consumer information
- Cardizem LA (diltiazem hydrochloride) tablet, extended release dosage information
- Cartia XT (diltiazem hydrochloride) capsule, extended release dosage information
- Dilacor XR (diltiazem hydrochloride) capsule, extended release dosage information
- Dilt-XR (diltiazem hydrochloride) extended release capsules dosage information
- Diltia XT (diltiazem hydrochloride) extended-release capsules dosage information
- Diltiazem dosage information
- Diltiazem consumer information
- Matzim LA (diltiazem hydrochloride) tablet, extended release dosage information
- Taztia XT (diltiazem hydrochloride) capsule, extended release dosage information
- Tiazac (diltiazem hydrochloride) capsule, extended release dosage information
- Tiazac (diltiazem) consumer information