User Reviews for Ambien CR

Learn more about Ambien CR.

Ambien CR review summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 75 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ambien CR to treat Insomnia

Review by Stephen G (taken for less than 1 month):

This medication made me feel as though I could not breathe. I was up all night. I took it at 9 p.m. and went straight to bed. I began having the hot flush feeling and felt as I had pressure on my chest. I have been taking the 10 mg but wake up in 2-3 hours. This was a living nightmare taking the 12.5 CR. If you have any respiratory issues, do not take.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 29, 2014 1:32 PM

Review by a real live wire:

Ambien CR is my most recent attempt to circumvent my chronic insomnia. After taking it I go directly to bed. It typically takes an hour or more to have any affect. I will get 2-3 hours of restful slumber before I wake. Going back to Klonopin & Lunesta.

August 9, 2013 8:50 AM

Review by Don Jose' (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was in my late 60's when I realized that I was having sleep issues. Tylenol PM no longer had any effect. I tried ALL the OTC sleep remedies for another 3 years, with no meaningful success. Two to four hours of sleep was getting old and aging me in the process. I finally got my G.P. to give me a prescription for Ambien and my world changed overnight. It was great, finally am getting 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 hours of continual, restful sleep, as long as I take an Ambien or Ambien CR. Have read tonnes of medical reports and am convinced this is a blessing. Sure, there are some weird side effects for some people, but these are a tiny minority.

June 17, 2013 3:38 PM

Review by finally sleeping in pittsburgh (taken for less than 1 month):

Over 18 months, I had been taking non-extended release Ambien, starting out with five milligrams but quickly being switched up to ten. Eventually, as stress and other factors were preying more heavily on my tired brain, the ten began not to work, so I was nibbling away at up to half of another 10 milligram tablet after not falling asleep, or not staying asleep. Needless to say, that was not a good idea. Finally, last week, I saw my doctor about it, and now I'm on Ambien CR and I'm managing to fall asleep and stay asleep--and knocking on wood.

May 24, 2013 12:50 PM

Review by Going broke:

Been taking this for years. The only thing that has worked for me. I can stay up all night without it. I have learned you have to go to bed hungry, that way it has nothing to compete with in your stomach. No side affects the next morning. Get about 4 to 5 hrs now which is good for me. Now if my insurance would pay for this! Just got new insurance this year and they consider this a tier 4 medication. Don't know which is worse. Going broke or not getting any sleep.

March 24, 2013 8:34 PM

Review by 36 yr old woman (taken for less than 1 month):

Took it for a week. Slept fine a couple of nights. Felt like a heavy, drugged sleep. Didn't do anything a couple of nights. Stopped taking it after I woke up finding myself standing up at the end of the bed swinging my arms around to get rid of imaginary parrots I heard in the bedroom.

February 15, 2013 8:51 PM

Review by Brandy Dreyer (taken for less than 1 month):

Just tried the Ambien CR last night. Still took awhile to fall asleep but once I did it worked great. Slept till 8:30. Unusual for me. Love it!

December 20, 2012 5:05 PM

Review by kewlj (taken for less than 1 month):

I was previously on trazodone for sleep issues and it was ok but didn't always help. My doctor put me on the much stronger Ambien CR. I took 12.5mg of this 5 hours ago and haven't slept at all.

September 15, 2012 1:14 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I take the 12.5 CR and it does nothing for me but give me double vision. I take Melatonin over the counter now after waiting 3 or more hours for the Ambien to kick in. The Melatonin actually works. I did this for 3 days and gave up on the Ambien now.

July 31, 2012 1:41 AM

After using Lunesta for a couple of years the effect began diminishing. My doctor prescribed Ambien CR. It has worked perfectly for my chronic insomnia. I have experienced the memory loss. Several times I have sent emails and when I get replies I do not have any memories of what I wrote or of sending the email. But I did get very deep sleep, so I learned to stay off the computer after taking a pill.

June 11, 2012 12:48 AM

I have taken Ambien (10mg) on several occasions for short periods of time and it worked just fine (knocked me out in 20min and gave me 5 to 6 hours of sleep). But, my doctor recently added Ambien CR to my nightly cocktail and it has not worked like the doctor or the website said it would. I have been taking it for a week. I expected it to knock me out and keep me asleep. I have done everything like I have been told to do and have been taking it before bed and all it has been doing is taking 3 to 4 hours to knock me out and makes me totally loopy in the morning. The effect is basically lengthened and delayed. I am hoping to switch back to original Ambien formula when I see the doctor next month!

March 12, 2012 3:24 PM

Review by hscolnik:

Very consistent seven hours of sleep. However, If I don't go right to bed I may do things I don't remember like leaving a bunch of lights and the TV on. Had to discontinue due to high cost.

November 26, 2011 5:55 AM

I have taken Ambien CR 12.5 mg for about 2 years off and on. This product works great for my insomnia, but as other users have stated, I have experienced episodes of sleep walking, making random phone calls, texting, cooking and having wild sex with my husband without any memory of it all. My suggestion is that you take the pill and go straight to bed to lessen the chances of sleep walking; However, you still run the risk of doing strange things anyway. Other than the sleepwalking, Ambien has given me the best sleep 7-8 hours of sleep of my life.

October 3, 2011 9:50 AM

Well I have been on Ambien CR 12.5 mg for close to 6 years now and absolutely love it. I think it is the best thing since sliced bread. I developed insomnia when I started doing shift work and tried everything under the sun starting with melatonin, Benadryl, Restoril and all the new ones that have come out since and although some were helpful with helping me fall asleep, they did not keep me asleep past the 3-4 hour mark..so the Ambient CR has been great for me.

September 5, 2011 2:30 AM

Review by ikandy2:

I sleep drove while on Ambien. I had 2 packs of cigarettes when I went to bed and 4 packs when I woke up. This can be a very dangerous.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 10, 2011 2:26 AM

Review by Huskey48:

I have been taken Ambien CR now for over 10 years, at first if I stayed up I would do things and not remember doing them. Then I made myself to go to bed right after taking one and it had put me right to sleep. Sleep to 7 to 8 hours per night. It is a good medicine but take it 10 mins before going to bed and then go right to bed don't stay up.

April 17, 2011 1:14 AM

I have been on Ambien CR 12.5mg for a while and it does not seem to work for me. I take it and I do not even get tired but feel drunk. The first day I was on it I got in my brand new car and wrecked it. When I take it and do go right to sleep, I still wake up every hour after that so I am not even actually getting restful sleep. I don't know why this medicine seems to work so well for everyone else on here and not work for me.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 29, 2011 2:27 PM

Review by paw0624:

Ambein CR 12.5 is great. I took it for years until AARP Medicare prescription drug plan removed it from their list. I did not experience any known side effects. It is the only medicine for insomnia that has worked for me. Maybe soon the insurance company will realize that and stop causing me to lose sleep.

March 13, 2011 8:37 AM

So far I really like Zolpidem ER (generic form). I was having a lot of trouble falling asleep because my mind was always racing. My doctor prescribed 6.25mg at first and this did not really seem to help. He then suggested that I take two (to equal 12.5mg) and this did the trick. I try to make sure I'm done with dinner and any snacking by 7-8PM and I take this at 10PM, right as I"m getting into bed. This softly puts me to sleep within 20-30 minutes. I've read it should not disturb "sleep architecture". I gave an 8 because I still wake up about 3-4 am but I can fall back asleep.

February 18, 2011 10:44 AM

Review by Sess2k:

I had been contemplating taking a sleep aide for some time now but after my engagement fell apart I really need it more than ever. I have been on Ambien for 3 weeks now and although I think it helps I took mine 2 hours ago and I'm still here. Once I do fall asleep it is a very sound and restful sleep but I still lay in bed tossing and turning, thinking of what could have and should have been.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2011 3:38 AM

I used to be on trazadone, Ambien, and Ambien CR. I enjoyed both Ambiens because I did get a lot of the sleep that I have missed out, but I did feel groggy when I woke up and still tired. When Ambien CR started to not work as well, I would ride a bike and end up in someone else's lawn. My body got so used to all of them that they now after 1 year of not taking them, still treats my body as if I am "high". Everyone's experience is different.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 20, 2010 4:41 AM

Review by wantstosleepdeep:

I have been taking Lunesta 3mg for a while but it just wasn't getting me to sleep or keeping me asleep. So I started taking 12.5mg Ambien CR about 3 days ago and I swear it had no effect on me whatsoever. I am going to keep trying for the next couple nights, but I need some good sleep soon. I was really surprised that at such a high dosage I didn't even feel sleepy at all.

October 23, 2010 1:55 PM

Review by NightOwlEve:

Ambien CR assists me in falling asleep but only briefly, often waking after just 3-4 hours. When it does work, I don't recall things like getting up to turn on lights and the TV full blast! I have also experienced dizziness, loss of motor skills and next day grogginess/sleepiness. Today I woke to find my small craft table smashed on the floor all the craft items scattered on the floor. A crash like that would most certainly have awoken me right? Well no it didn't and I don't recall knocking it over! So it had to be me while sleepwalking again! I have turned to taking it only when I am truly desperate for a decent night's sleep!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 18, 2010 1:04 AM

Review by steph25:

I am a pharmacy tech and am on Ambien CR 12.5 mg. I have been on it for about 3 months now but I don't take it every night. When I do take it (as my thyroid is hyperactive) I do feel rested in the morning but when I don't take it, it's really not a big deal. It does help with my sleep but I do hide my car keys from myself just in case.

June 12, 2010 2:00 AM

After having an accident at work a few years ago I wasn't falling asleep until the sun came up because of chronic pain. My muscle relaxers and pain medicines were no longer giving me enough relief to sleep at night so my doctor put me on Ambien CR. After about 2 weeks I had to stop taking it because I was hallucinating, I was suffering from severe anxiety, I had tremors, I don't have enough room here to list everything. I am now on Restoril and I don't have any side effects at all.

April 8, 2010 11:54 PM