User Reviews for Ambien CR

Learn more about Ambien CR.

Insomnia 59 reviews 110 medications

Summary of Ambien CR reviews 59 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Ambien CR

For Insomnia "Ambien has been hit or miss for me. When it works it's bliss! 2 out of 3 days it doesn't work well. The CR is supposed to help me stay asleep but at best I get 4-6 hours of sleep. It's not the greatest sleep - I fall off and wake up frequently without feeling I've slept, but it's better than staring at the ceiling till dawn. It's expensive!"

muDraconis March 30, 2016

For Insomnia "This medicine works very well for me. I take 7.5mg. of this. I am prescribed 1 or 2 at bedtime. Before, I was taking 5mg. of regular Ambien. I would fall asleep rather quickly, but I always wake up around 2 or 3 am for the bathroom. Then, I could never go back to sleep. When I went back to my doctor, she changed it to the extended release. Now when I get up during the night, I'm able to get back to sleep. I always allow myself enough time to sleep off the medication, even if it means taking it and going to bed early. I allow myself 10 hours. I feel rested when I get up and have coffee. The only side effect I've experienced is I sometimes wake myself up talking.** I would not take this med. with nerve pills or drink alcohol."

Chickiewowow March 21, 2016

For Insomnia "I have chronic insomnia from fibromyalgia and severe back pain. I've been taking the generic Zolpidem XR for years and it always seemed to work. For some reason, it stopped working for me about 3 months ago. I never had any side effect. No memory loss, sleepwalking or anything else and though always q restless sleeper causing me to wake every time I turn over, from the pain, I could always fall right back asleep and wake refreshed. Not sure what to take now since its lost its efficacy, but while it worked, it was fabulous. Trying Temazepam but it's like taking a placebo. No effect at all."

Mikisunshine (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 18, 2016

For Insomnia "I've tried many sleep aids. I'm currently taking a generic AMBIEN-CR 12.5mg. I had previously used both Brand name and generic versions of AMBIEN 10mg. I'm disappointed with AMBIEN & AMBIEN-CR. I've read horror stories of blackouts, falling into deep sleep within minutes of ingesting and even that the dose requirements have been reduced. Despite the alleged powerful effects of AMBIEN and AMBIEN-CR, I find it to be modestly effective for sleep. Regular, immediate-release AMBIEN 10mg would only help me sleep for /- 3 hours."

opioidtx (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 8, 2016

For Insomnia "I've taken both ambien and ambien CR. it caused interesting side effects from day one. I found that whatever was on my mind before taking the meds (I.e. I had to do laundry/clean the house the next day or go to a sale) I'd end up getting up and doing them that night before falling asleep and not even remember it the next day!! I would vacuum at 2am, cook whole meals, get in my car to go to a tech store sale and come home with 100 movies (some 2 or 3 copies!)! My husband didn't mind the extra wild sex! It would have been nice if I would have remembered it too! The last straw for me was when a close family member passed away, I couldn't get rest so I took one to help. A month later, I found I had an accident I didn't remember! Be careful!"

No sleeping mama January 5, 2016

For Insomnia "I have severe insomnia and Ambien CR has worked very well for me. Previously, I tried the Ambien IR and while it did knock me out for a good 3-4 hours, it didn't help me to stay asleep and the Ambien CR does just that. My only complaint is some days I seem to very drowsy and sluggish, but most of the time I wake up feeling refreshed and ready tackle the day."

Brady1992 December 20, 2015

For Insomnia "I have Insomnia due the past 10 years and have been using Zolpidem (Ambien's generic) 10 mg. I find that it take me anywhere from 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours before I am ready to lie down. When I finally go to bed I will sleep anywhere from 8-10 hours and wake up refreshed."

Howie Vegas (taken for 10 years or more) November 28, 2015

For Insomnia "I've had chronic insomnia (clinical diagnosis, sleep studies, neurologists, etc.) for over 25 years, starting in high school and gradually getting worse over the decades. No drugs aside from powerful depressants (barbits, benzos, tranquilizers, etc.) had helped me at all. Ambien CR has been a miracle medication for me. My insomnia is so constant and severe (I literally won't sleep a single minute some nights) that my Dr lets me take it every night. Many people talk about the possible side-effects of long-term usage, but that ignores the very definite effects of chronic insomnia. I have no next-day side-effects, but I will have rebound insomnia if I stop. Taking with a glass of water helps for me; so does good sleep hygiene rules."

dpvwia (taken for 10 years or more) June 6, 2015

For Insomnia "I've experienced 12 years of chronic sleep and anxiety disorders. Zolpidem ( "Ambien") will not "knock you out" or reduce anxiety levels, instead it creates hypnotic effects that have caused me further issues with uncharacteristic night terrors and black outs. As per the warning label, do NOT try to drive / operate heavy machinery while using this medication."

Anonymous300015 June 4, 2015

For Insomnia "This is the only thing that I have tried that helps me sleep a full 8 hours. I love this medication. I have had no sleep walking and I have not done anything that I can't remember. The only side effects I have had are just feeling a little tired during the day and increased appetite. I would definitely recommend this medication to people with insomnia."

Jessicaxoxo April 4, 2015

For Insomnia "I have been on regular Ambien 10mg since 2007. I have major insomnia and have tried alternatives and even quit drinking caffeine and limit sugar to no avail. I talked to my doctor yesterday and decided to try the CR because I just couldn't stay asleep. After 3-4 hours I was wide awake. Well last night I had the most vivid dreams and still groggy this morning. It definitely helped me fall back asleep. (I pee a lot lol) I am glad I waited until the weekend to see how it would affect me. I took it at 8:30p and it's almost 9a and I feel slightly hungover. I'm going to try it again tonight, but sleeping through the night might not be worth it. I can't believe some reviews say it's not affective because it immediately made me sleepy!"

LizaS73 March 14, 2015

"My problem isn't getting to sleep..it's STAYING asleep. I have found that after trying Lunesta (nasty-nasty aftertaste for an entire day afterwards..and the hangover!) I much prefer Ambien but it has to be "CR" ...and crystal clear the next day. Never had any problem with after effects..ever. Problem is..Dr stopped prescribing sleep aides as too addictive, however even after reminding him that the last bottle of 50 lasted me about three years..he still wasn't willing. This needs to be over the counter. "

Robb32 September 1, 2014

For Insomnia "This medication made me feel as though I could not breathe. I was up all night. I took it at 9 p.m. and went straight to bed. I began having the hot flush feeling and felt as I had pressure on my chest. I have been taking the 10 mg but wake up in 2-3 hours. This was a living nightmare taking the 12.5 CR. If you have any respiratory issues, do not take. "

Stephen G (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2014

For Insomnia "Ambien CR is my most recent attempt to circumvent my chronic insomnia. After taking it I go directly to bed. It typically takes an hour or more to have any affect. I will get 2-3 hours of restful slumber before I wake. Going back to Klonopin & Lunesta."

a real live wire August 9, 2013

For Insomnia "I was in my late 60's when I realized that I was having sleep issues. Tylenol PM no longer had any effect. I tried ALL the OTC sleep remedies for another 3 years, with no meaningful success. Two to four hours of sleep was getting old and aging me in the process. I finally got my G.P. to give me a prescription for Ambien and my world changed overnight. It was great, finally am getting 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 hours of continual, restful sleep, as long as I take an Ambien or Ambien CR. Have read tonnes of medical reports and am convinced this is a blessing. Sure, there are some weird side effects for some people, but these are a tiny minority."

Don Jose' (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 17, 2013

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia "Over 18 months, I had been taking non-extended release Ambien, starting out with five milligrams but quickly being switched up to ten. Eventually, as stress and other factors were preying more heavily on my tired brain, the ten began not to work, so I was nibbling away at up to half of another 10 milligram tablet after not falling asleep, or not staying asleep. Needless to say, that was not a good idea. Finally, last week, I saw my doctor about it, and now I'm on Ambien CR and I'm managing to fall asleep and stay asleep--and knocking on wood."

finally sleeping in pittsburgh (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2013

For Insomnia "Been taking this for years. The only thing that has worked for me. I can stay up all night without it. I have learned you have to go to bed hungry, that way it has nothing to compete with in your stomach. No side affects the next morning. Get about 4 to 5 hrs now which is good for me. Now if my insurance would pay for this! Just got new insurance this year and they consider this a tier 4 medication. Don't know which is worse. Going broke or not getting any sleep."

Going broke March 24, 2013

For Insomnia "Took it for a week. Slept fine a couple of nights. Felt like a heavy, drugged sleep. Didn't do anything a couple of nights. Stopped taking it after I woke up finding myself standing up at the end of the bed swinging my arms around to get rid of imaginary parrots I heard in the bedroom."

36 yr old woman (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2013

For Insomnia "Just tried the Ambien CR last night. Still took awhile to fall asleep but once I did it worked great. Slept till 8:30. Unusual for me. Love it!"

Brandy Dreyer (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2012

For Insomnia "I was previously on trazodone for sleep issues and it was ok but didn't always help. My doctor put me on the much stronger Ambien CR. I took 12.5mg of this 5 hours ago and haven't slept at all. "

kewlj (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2012

For Insomnia "I take the 12.5 CR and it does nothing for me but give me double vision. I take Melatonin over the counter now after waiting 3 or more hours for the Ambien to kick in. The Melatonin actually works. I did this for 3 days and gave up on the Ambien now."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2012

For Insomnia "After using Lunesta for a couple of years the effect began diminishing. My doctor prescribed Ambien CR. It has worked perfectly for my chronic insomnia. I have experienced the memory loss. Several times I have sent emails and when I get replies I do not have any memories of what I wrote or of sending the email. But I did get very deep sleep, so I learned to stay off the computer after taking a pill."

Anonymous June 11, 2012

For Insomnia "I have taken Ambien (10mg) on several occasions for short periods of time and it worked just fine (knocked me out in 20min and gave me 5 to 6 hours of sleep). But, my doctor recently added Ambien CR to my nightly cocktail and it has not worked like the doctor or the website said it would. I have been taking it for a week. I expected it to knock me out and keep me asleep. I have done everything like I have been told to do and have been taking it before bed and all it has been doing is taking 3 to 4 hours to knock me out and makes me totally loopy in the morning. The effect is basically lengthened and delayed. I am hoping to switch back to original Ambien formula when I see the doctor next month!"

Anonymous March 12, 2012

For Insomnia "Very consistent seven hours of sleep. However, If I don't go right to bed I may do things I don't remember like leaving a bunch of lights and the TV on. Had to discontinue due to high cost."

hscolnik November 26, 2011

For Insomnia "I have taken Ambien CR 12.5 mg for about 2 years off and on. This product works great for my insomnia, but as other users have stated, I have experienced episodes of sleep walking, making random phone calls, texting, cooking and having wild sex with my husband without any memory of it all. My suggestion is that you take the pill and go straight to bed to lessen the chances of sleep walking; However, you still run the risk of doing strange things anyway. Other than the sleepwalking, Ambien has given me the best sleep 7-8 hours of sleep of my life."

Anonymous October 3, 2011