User Reviews for Viibryd

Learn more about Viibryd.

Viibryd review summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Viibryd to treat Depression

Review by LivinOnTampaTime (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I began taking Viibryd in October of 2011, at the age of 37. I've had problems with Dysthymia and nervousness my entire adult life, but I started having panic attacks, depression, and insomnia. Within a week after beginning the 20mg dose, I came out of my funk, was able to sleep soundly throughout the night, and panic attacks were nonexistent. I recently had a traumatic experience involving my daughter which forced me to take a more structured job in an extremely hostile work environment. The panic attacks returned and I felt like I was slowly losing my grip on reality. Three days ago, my doctor increased my dose to 40mg daily and I feel fantastic. No more panic attacks, and I have an overwhelming sense of calm -almost euphoric feeling.

October 7, 2014 8:51 PM

Review by Workout Queen:

I've been on Viibryd for 4 days for Generalized Anxiety, Mild Depression (Dysthymia). Can tell a difference already. LOVE it! Best SSRI for my body so far. Tried Lexapro, but had gastrointestinal issues. Paxil was better than Lexapro, but not 'the one' Only tried 1 dose of Cymbalta, and felt like I had the flu for 4 days (and I rarely get sick). So far, so good with this. NO side effects, but on the lowest dose (10 mg). My Dr said this is a fairly new medicine, and it seems to be getting good reviews from many people. Clearly not all things work for all people, but my experience has been good!

September 30, 2014 10:05 PM

Review by Tryingtogetbetter (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I am taking it for anxiety, depression and obsessive compulsive disorder intrusive thoughts. This medicine worked really quick, between 40mg of this, 5mg of Abilify with therapy it helped a lot! However after a year it stopped working for me. So I was switched to something else. Good luck everyone it's a good medicine.

September 1, 2014 9:44 PM

Review by purpleindigo (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been on Viibryd for 7 days and it's been great. I'm only on 10mg right now and will be moving to 20mg in the next couple days. I only had soft stools once but other than that no other stomach issues. Some of the side effects I am having are weird vivid dreams, super increased libido and out of 6 of the 7 days I've taken Viibryd, I've awakened out of my sleep to very intense orgasms. Other than that I feel much better. The real test will be when my PDD occurs. If it can control my lows during my period then we have a winner.

August 16, 2014 10:27 AM

Review by westerncarolina1:

I have been taking Viibryd for 25 days and I love it. I can tell a big difference in my overall attitude. This medicine makes you feel back to "normal" (the happy state before feeling overwhelmed with depression). I am a lot more motivated than I have been in the past and I have lost a little over 10 pounds. I am taking a 40 mg pill each day. I highly recommend this medicine to anyone. Obviously, talk to your doctor first. I hope this helps. Remember everyone is different, it may take a few medications before you find the right one. I hope this helps!

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 10, 2014 9:31 PM

Review by Healthcare worker:

Diarrhea , nausea, insomnia, muscle aches, restless leg syndrome

August 2, 2014 7:27 PM

Review by Tris09 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

It has been a good 12 months since I have been taking the 40mg. I can say that I feel better when I am on this and also the important thing, after about the 8th month or so all the side effects are pretty much nonexistent.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 30, 2014 5:13 PM

Review by Cjohnson1083 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medication works great. EXCEPT the fact that it gives you horrible scary brain zaps if you are even a few hours late on your usual dose!!

June 9, 2014 11:56 PM

Review by Flguy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on 40mg for almost 8 weeks now. Was working great in the beginning, especially weeks 3-5, but for some reason the beneficial mood effects wore off and I don't feel any different now than before. The only thing I can think of is around that same time I started seeing a shrink and he put me on Xanax XR 0.5mg 1-2 times per day. Could the Xanax XR have killed off the positive effects I was having with the Viibryd? Not sure yet. By the way, I had literally NO negative side effects from taking this medication. I always take it in the morning, never at night. Tried that once and it kept me up all night.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 2, 2014 1:15 PM

Review by draesq:

I am at the end of the 2nd week of the starter pack, last 20 mg pill. I feel so much better on this medicine. My depression started after some horrible things happened in my family and it paralyzed me. I didn't want to do anything anymore. I wanted to be left alone. I finally feel happy again. I have been on Zoloft. That worked but I gained too much weight. Effexor didn't really help and Wellbutrin did nothing. This one made a huge difference and quickly. I had diarrhea the first day of each new dose but it quickly went away. No other side effects. I am also sleeping much better. The bottom line is, everyone is so completely different. It is all trial and error.

154 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 25, 2014 9:58 PM

Review by 45/male/married w/children (taken for 2 to 5 years):

This medication simply saved my life. Addiction took me down a dangerous path - hiding bottles, attempting to obtain more prescription pain killers, doing it all at night to hide from wife/kids...long dark road for sure. 30 days intensive recovery in a facility, away from everyone just for me, AA meeting and my doctor put me on anti-depressants that just made me groggy, disoriented and volatile at times. Changed a few times till we hit Viibryd. Absolutely amazing from the first few days. 40mg and sometimes a tad more when the waves of irrationality come. Mostly even sailing. Life is enjoyable, work is productive and I am totally plugged back into everyone's life at home. No issues with side effects at all.

156 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2014 8:34 AM

Review by Stace' (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Very positive...been on it 40 mg now and I feel like a very different person, 38 yrs of major gray heavy depression has vanished. I now live in my day not to just get through it.

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2014 8:43 PM

Review by Ambwee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on so many anti depressants. I can't even tell you how many I've tried and none of them had any effect or very little. My doctor started me out on sample pack of Viibryd and gave me a few packs of the 40mg to last me until she gets back from out of the country. I've been on it for a month now and it's been amazing. I have schizoaffective disorder with major depression, panic disorder and post traumatic stress disorder. Viibyrd is amazing. I feel so much better already. I never got any of the side effects other people experienced. It's been nothing but pleasant for me. My mood, energy, everything has gotten so much higher than it has been in years. I'm so excited about my future now. I have so many dreams that I feel like I can now accomplish and I'm very optimistic now.

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 2, 2014 3:04 AM

Review by Lizsmiles (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Viibryd has honestly changed my life for the better. I've had depression and anxiety for 5 years. I was going to therapy (and I still do), but it was recommended I try some medication because I was not really feeling any better and I was very hesitant. I did 5mg for 2 weeks, 10mg for a week, 20mg for a week, and now I'm on 40mg. I experience NO side effects. No diarrhea or nausea like most people have at the beginning. Not only did my anxiety come under control when I started the 20mg, but I feel happy now. My sex drive has been normal and I've actually lost weight since I started Viibryd since I don't have the urge to eat everything now. It's definitely worth a try.

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2014 10:46 PM

Review by Phosfate (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was one if the unlucky ones, and experienced a ton of negative side effects from Viibriyd: sleep paralysis, falls, insomnia, increased anxiety/panic, loss of concentration, a carnival of digestive effects, dizziness, loss of appetite, forgetfulness, etc. Each increase in dosage made the side effects worse. If I'd had a fraction of my usual judgment I would have asked to be taken off of it after the first week. I'm currently tapering off, and for me, the withdrawal symptoms are totally preferable to the side effects. Viibryd is great for a lot of people, and that's awesome. If it is making you feel worse than when you started, stay in close contact with your doctor and do not hesitate to question whether you should stay on it.

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2014 11:33 PM

Review by RajTheMaharajah:

I'm a 70 year old male, in excellent physical shape, and retired. Problem is a depression and bipolar-2 condition, both of which have haunted me pretty much my entire life. In 1994, my depression became just unbearable, and I started on Prozac...it worked for a while...then it didn't...then we tried something else...then something else...you get the drift. My doctor and I decided to try Viibryd; this is day 10 and I'm taking 10 mg in the morning. This medicine is life changing. Best news is I don't feel any sexual side-effects--actually, my sex-drive seems somewhat on the increase. Who's complaining about that?

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 14, 2014 5:23 AM

In 3 days, I felt better. Titrated to 40mg. The medicine turned evil. My heart pounding with strong palpitations. As I was falling asleep, had feeling of leaving my body & hovering over myself being awake in a horrifying world that seemed absolutely real. Sleep paralysis. Dr. added beta-blocker for heart. Gained 21lbs in 6wks. Decided to stop it. Dr. said go from 40-20. I couldn't do that suddenly-I needed to go down slowly. I went from 40-30mg. Night terrors lessened. Went to 25, then 20. Felt good at 20; heart calmed down for a few days. Thought I'd stay at 20 but then the evil again. 18, 15, 10, 5, 3mg. It's taken over a month to come off it. 1st day without it. Feel down & edgy. Started Wellbutrin.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2014 11:55 AM

Review by Joshs (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Well, started to get panic attacks about 1.5 years ago (after the loss of our first unborn child). I was put on Paxil (20m) first which worked great but killed sex drive. Got switched to Viibryd (40m) and stayed on it for about 5-6 months. Quit because it made me tired all of the time and thought mentally I had figured out how to control the Panic Attacks without meds. That worked for about 2 months until they came back with a vengeance. Got back on it and just been taking (20mg), I haven't lost the weight (50lbs) but haven't actually made it to the gym to try. I still feel tired all of the time, coupled with a 10 month old baby girl, but I haven't had to take any Clonazepam to fight off an attack since I got back on. Works for me.

February 10, 2014 5:03 PM

Review by RVKientz:

These reviews have confirmed what I've been thinking for a few months now. I've been waking up at 3 am like clock work, I'm irritated at the smallest things, gained 20 lbs and just feel down all the time. I was on Effexor and Zoloft for years until they stopped working for me so my Dr tried me on Viibryd. Worst move ever. I want to beat my fists against everything and everyone. Going to see him next week and demanding to be changed to something else.

February 5, 2014 5:21 AM

Review by dpaw9212:

I'd switched to Viibryd from Effexor XR October 21,2013. Transition was fine, 10 mg dose for a week I felt great..better than in years..up to 20, amazing..few side effects, soft multiple stools..not much more. Was going to stay at 20mg until I started having random anxiety attacks throughout the day. So took it to 40mg..what a nightmare! I turned bipolar, paranoid, and more anxiety. Back down to 20mg, was better for a bit, but now I have diarrhea daily and having 3am panic attacks. Seeing doctor this week, getting off Viibryd..sigh. I really wanted this one to work.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2014 4:34 PM

Review by Mo1234:

I have been taking 20 mg for about 2 months and it is great for me. It helps my bi- polar depression and anxiety.

January 26, 2014 9:15 PM

Review by Kdp43:

I have taken many different SSRI's for over 30 years. All worked for quite a while, but then I have to be switched to something else. I have been taking Viibryd for 7 months and I am going to get off of it. I had some gastrointestinal issues at first, some awful, reoccurring realistic dreams, and withdrawal symptoms when I missed a dose by a few hours. Now I have become an angry person with frequent headaches. My depression is the worst it has ever been. 2% of the population will have problems with a medicine, so be aware that it might not occur when you first start taking Viibryd. My insurance would not cover Viibryd until I had a special consideration form submitted by my Doctor.

January 24, 2014 10:02 AM

Review by virginia girl:

I too was excited at first to try it. It was great the first month with the exception of very vivid dreams sometimes nightmares. I would often wake crying. i felt great but then reading these reviews, i find that my recent mood changes have been because of this medication. I have been blaming PMS on everything but everything gets on my nerves, my dogs barking, the clicking of their nails on the floor, even my kids eating and of course my husband can't do anything right. I was very pleased with the medication at first. felt like a new person, but now i see that the way i have been feeling could be because of the Viibryd. It didn't even dawn on me. I wish I had read these reviews sooner. I am going to contact my doctor today

January 22, 2014 3:40 PM

Review by Brouk (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

This medicine worked miracles for me! I absolutely love it! It is very effective and works in days, instead of weeks! When I first started taking it 40 mg I was really out of it and sleepy but I got used to it and now it gives me energy and puts me in a great mood! Best anti-depressant/ anxiety medication ever and always remember there are side effects to EVERY medicine.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 18, 2014 11:14 AM

Review by sue from Syracuse:

I have been on Viibryd 10 mg for about a month. For the last week or so I have become a nasty monster that no one wants to be around. Getting in touch with my psych to get me off this asap!

December 31, 2013 11:01 AM