User Reviews for Viibryd

Learn more about Viibryd.

Viibryd review summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Viibryd to treat Depression

Review by raylee:

I have BPD, anxiety disorder, and agoraphobia. This medicine didn't do much for me. I got all of the side effects but none of the relief. I am only giving it a mid-line rating because I can't seem to tell if the medicine didn't help or if I am just more depressed/stressed lately.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 20, 2015 4:06 PM

Review by Califgirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I had underlying anxiety - constantly wanting to hide in bed - random crying - high intensity job - mind wouldn't shut off. Told doctor - she said this had helped many clients - by my 2nd day on 1/4 of the largest pill size - I felt at ease and pretty carefree. My life is 75% easier to take and I'm able to get through life with a smile. Very happy.

February 11, 2015 12:13 AM

Review by Marigold15 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Works great for me. No side effects.

February 6, 2015 3:19 PM

Review by Kelef (taken for 1 to 6 months):

On 6th week of Viibryd. It starts with a jump. Then tapers down and up a bit; then levels off and is decently effective. It's more sedating than Cymbalta and its a pain to eat in the am. However, so far it's weight neutral and I'll see how it progresses in another month. Only side effects are gas, and touches of stomach digestive feelings. So far so good

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2015 10:57 AM

Review by squidfish (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have fought depression all my life-60 years. I have tried pretty much every medicine available. My care provider put me on 40 mg Viibryd and 100 mg Lamotrigine. After about 6 weeks I woke up and could face the day. I have the desire to live and no longer have to try to pull myself out of a deep pit every day.

January 11, 2015 8:05 PM

Review by BrittMosh:

I gave have severe depression for 15+ years and I've been on everything. Viibryd was great at first but at full dose of 40mg I have plateaued. I am more stable mood wise still struggling. I had high hopes and in general it's great due to the fewer side effects.

January 2, 2015 1:49 PM

Review by birdzflysouthinthewinter:

I had depressive episodes even as a teenager. They seemed to get worse every third month. I'd been on every known medicine for twenty years without any help. I took Valium for panic attacks several times a day every day for twenty years. I've been on Viibryd for five weeks and finally found help. The only side effects have been diarrhea only in the morning the first few days and dry mouth. I wake up feeling very good each day. Thank you.

December 14, 2014 7:09 AM

Review by excellent:

You have to give it time to work. At the beginning I thought it was not going to work, but after 3 months was great. I have been on Viibryd for about 6 months, is excellent, don't gain weight and my sex drive is very high.. Excellent. Hope it works for you.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 29, 2014 12:07 AM

Review by Dreamseam:

Viibryd is the only anti-depressant that really worked for me. I tried Prozac, Zoloft, Effexor. I'll never know if those 3 medicines didn't work but the effect was subtle at best. Viibryd's impact was unambiguous. So much so that after the 3rd week I felt that 30 mg would be sufficient. My Doctor advised me to go ahead and take 40 mg and that is my current dosage. Note that I was diagnosed with co-occurring anxiety and the action of Viibryd is such that it is a very effective anti-anxiety medication, at least for me. Note that some people report an increase in anxiety with Viibryd at higher dosages.

November 1, 2014 4:42 PM

Review by Bttrbyfarr (taken for less than 1 month):

Had been on Effexor XR for 5 years, and noticed as I progressed toward menopause, my depression was worsening. I was just a shell of the person I was previously. I went to my dr and was prescribed Viibryd. Within a week I noted some gradual changes. It has been just short of a month, and I notice less sleepiness and concentration concerns. I also have less anxiety, and my irritable bowel syndrome symptoms are lessening too. So far I am very pleased with it.

October 29, 2014 10:53 PM

Review by Female/19/college student (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on viibryd for two weeks now (20 mg) for generalized anxiety and moderate depression and I feel exceptionally better. I tapered off lexapro about 2 years ago and was off anti depressants for the last couple of years. It was an emotional roller coaster every single day until I got on viibryd. I experience some symptoms like dizziness and nausea/diarrhea so I take it at night right before I go to sleep. I am a student athlete in college with an extremely busy schedule and this medicine has helped keep me motivated. The feelings of hopelessness and emptiness are almost completely gone and I feel like I can get through everyday without the constant negative thoughts I was having.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2014 2:42 PM

Review by LivinOnTampaTime (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I began taking Viibryd in October of 2011, at the age of 37. I've had problems with Dysthymia and nervousness my entire adult life, but I started having panic attacks, depression, and insomnia. Within a week after beginning the 20mg dose, I came out of my funk, was able to sleep soundly throughout the night, and panic attacks were nonexistent. I recently had a traumatic experience involving my daughter which forced me to take a more structured job in an extremely hostile work environment. The panic attacks returned and I felt like I was slowly losing my grip on reality. Three days ago, my doctor increased my dose to 40mg daily and I feel fantastic. No more panic attacks, and I have an overwhelming sense of calm -almost euphoric feeling.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 7, 2014 8:51 PM

Review by Workout Queen:

I've been on Viibryd for 4 days for Generalized Anxiety, Mild Depression (Dysthymia). Can tell a difference already. LOVE it! Best SSRI for my body so far. Tried Lexapro, but had gastrointestinal issues. Paxil was better than Lexapro, but not 'the one' Only tried 1 dose of Cymbalta, and felt like I had the flu for 4 days (and I rarely get sick). So far, so good with this. NO side effects, but on the lowest dose (10 mg). My Dr said this is a fairly new medicine, and it seems to be getting good reviews from many people. Clearly not all things work for all people, but my experience has been good!

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 30, 2014 10:05 PM

Review by Tryingtogetbetter (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I am taking it for anxiety, depression and obsessive compulsive disorder intrusive thoughts. This medicine worked really quick, between 40mg of this, 5mg of Abilify with therapy it helped a lot! However after a year it stopped working for me. So I was switched to something else. Good luck everyone it's a good medicine.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 1, 2014 9:44 PM

Review by purpleindigo (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been on Viibryd for 7 days and it's been great. I'm only on 10mg right now and will be moving to 20mg in the next couple days. I only had soft stools once but other than that no other stomach issues. Some of the side effects I am having are weird vivid dreams, super increased libido and out of 6 of the 7 days I've taken Viibryd, I've awakened out of my sleep to very intense orgasms. Other than that I feel much better. The real test will be when my PDD occurs. If it can control my lows during my period then we have a winner.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 16, 2014 10:27 AM

Review by westerncarolina1:

I have been taking Viibryd for 25 days and I love it. I can tell a big difference in my overall attitude. This medicine makes you feel back to "normal" (the happy state before feeling overwhelmed with depression). I am a lot more motivated than I have been in the past and I have lost a little over 10 pounds. I am taking a 40 mg pill each day. I highly recommend this medicine to anyone. Obviously, talk to your doctor first. I hope this helps. Remember everyone is different, it may take a few medications before you find the right one. I hope this helps!

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 10, 2014 9:31 PM

Review by Healthcare worker:

Diarrhea , nausea, insomnia, muscle aches, restless leg syndrome

August 2, 2014 7:27 PM

Review by Tris09 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

It has been a good 12 months since I have been taking the 40mg. I can say that I feel better when I am on this and also the important thing, after about the 8th month or so all the side effects are pretty much nonexistent.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 30, 2014 5:13 PM

Review by Cjohnson1083 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medication works great. EXCEPT the fact that it gives you horrible scary brain zaps if you are even a few hours late on your usual dose!!

June 9, 2014 11:56 PM

Review by Flguy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on 40mg for almost 8 weeks now. Was working great in the beginning, especially weeks 3-5, but for some reason the beneficial mood effects wore off and I don't feel any different now than before. The only thing I can think of is around that same time I started seeing a shrink and he put me on Xanax XR 0.5mg 1-2 times per day. Could the Xanax XR have killed off the positive effects I was having with the Viibryd? Not sure yet. By the way, I had literally NO negative side effects from taking this medication. I always take it in the morning, never at night. Tried that once and it kept me up all night.

April 2, 2014 1:15 PM

Review by draesq:

I am at the end of the 2nd week of the starter pack, last 20 mg pill. I feel so much better on this medicine. My depression started after some horrible things happened in my family and it paralyzed me. I didn't want to do anything anymore. I wanted to be left alone. I finally feel happy again. I have been on Zoloft. That worked but I gained too much weight. Effexor didn't really help and Wellbutrin did nothing. This one made a huge difference and quickly. I had diarrhea the first day of each new dose but it quickly went away. No other side effects. I am also sleeping much better. The bottom line is, everyone is so completely different. It is all trial and error.

176 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 25, 2014 9:58 PM

Review by 45/male/married w/children (taken for 2 to 5 years):

This medication simply saved my life. Addiction took me down a dangerous path - hiding bottles, attempting to obtain more prescription pain killers, doing it all at night to hide from wife/kids...long dark road for sure. 30 days intensive recovery in a facility, away from everyone just for me, AA meeting and my doctor put me on anti-depressants that just made me groggy, disoriented and volatile at times. Changed a few times till we hit Viibryd. Absolutely amazing from the first few days. 40mg and sometimes a tad more when the waves of irrationality come. Mostly even sailing. Life is enjoyable, work is productive and I am totally plugged back into everyone's life at home. No issues with side effects at all.

178 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2014 8:34 AM

Review by Stace' (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Very positive...been on it 40 mg now and I feel like a very different person, 38 yrs of major gray heavy depression has vanished. I now live in my day not to just get through it.

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2014 8:43 PM

Review by Ambwee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on so many anti depressants. I can't even tell you how many I've tried and none of them had any effect or very little. My doctor started me out on sample pack of Viibryd and gave me a few packs of the 40mg to last me until she gets back from out of the country. I've been on it for a month now and it's been amazing. I have schizoaffective disorder with major depression, panic disorder and post traumatic stress disorder. Viibyrd is amazing. I feel so much better already. I never got any of the side effects other people experienced. It's been nothing but pleasant for me. My mood, energy, everything has gotten so much higher than it has been in years. I'm so excited about my future now. I have so many dreams that I feel like I can now accomplish and I'm very optimistic now.

162 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 2, 2014 3:04 AM

Review by Lizsmiles (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Viibryd has honestly changed my life for the better. I've had depression and anxiety for 5 years. I was going to therapy (and I still do), but it was recommended I try some medication because I was not really feeling any better and I was very hesitant. I did 5mg for 2 weeks, 10mg for a week, 20mg for a week, and now I'm on 40mg. I experience NO side effects. No diarrhea or nausea like most people have at the beginning. Not only did my anxiety come under control when I started the 20mg, but I feel happy now. My sex drive has been normal and I've actually lost weight since I started Viibryd since I don't have the urge to eat everything now. It's definitely worth a try.

148 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2014 10:46 PM