User Reviews for Zanaflex

Learn more about Zanaflex.

Zanaflex Review Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 36 medications used in the treatment of Muscle Spasm.

Reviews for Zanaflex to treat Muscle Spasm

"I've been on these for about 8 years. They work good on low back pain, DJD and bulging disc on my neck. Along with other pain killers it works good, but don't drive while on them. They do make you sleepy fast and also they tend to lower your blood pressure and you will get dizzy standing up. You can get a good night sleep on them. I take one 4 mg 2 times a day."

egg plant (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 22, 2015

"I take this along with Baclofen to try and calm the tone and muscle spasms. Since adding the Xanaflex my muscle spasms don't last as long. However they do still occur quite frequently."

NicoleLynn615 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2015

"So far so good."

loripnyl April 16, 2015

"I first was given Zanaflex about 14 years ago. I had had lower back surgery and some time later started taking it for muscle spasms, with me not playing with muscle relaxers, afraid of damaging my heart, because your heart is a muscle..therefore, I'm real careful with taking relaxants. I love it, it helps alot..and since I'm much older, I'm even more careful. But recently I was in a car accident and hurt my neck and my left shoulder, I was given robaxin which is a skeletal relaxer/ muscle relaxer..it really helps with this new pain. But, I'm not taking the zanaflex and the robin for now. I give zanaflex a ten. It works Great! Hope I was able to help someone."

dailey61 (taken for 10 years or more) March 30, 2015

"Prescribed after 4th lumbar fusion fail. Helps with sleeping in a painful condition"

Anonymous February 12, 2015

"Take this for Neck Spasms after surgery. Taking now for 2 years. Had major surgery. Do not think this is good for me, anyways. I can not stay awake when I take it, thus, I have to take it only at night, and cannot drive, and please do not drive if you take this medication as it, for me, puts me right out. Told 3 doctors this, they will not give me another med for neck spasms and cramps so I use it as I can. It helps, but does make me dizzy and extremely sleepy. If you have sleep Apnea, be VERY cautious!"

DrugExpert101 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2015

"I was prescribed Zanaflex for muscle spasms and to help me sleep. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, osteo/degenerative arthritis, sciatica, and an unspecified autoimmune disorder. It was prescribed as 3-4mg tablets at bedtime but that was too high a dose for me. Sometimes, I have the side effect of really low BP, although I have been taking HIGH BP meds for 5+ years. It doesn't happen all the time (when I take it) but it is very scary when it does happen. I have black outs, feel incredibly high, and can't hold my eyes open, at times. The blood pressure drops have happened, in the past, when I was not on Zanaflex, but this medication just seems to make it worse and I am not going to take it anymore. The side effects are too scary."

Belinda36203 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 17, 2015

"I was prescribed this medication for muscle pain related to rheumatoid arthritis and chronic tendonitis. Personally I'm VERY sensitive to this medication and suffer the "rare: side effects slurred speech, hallucinations (only at night) disorientation (I've gotten lost in my own room twice when I take 4 mg) low heart rate. The highest dose I have taken is 8mg with Xanax for my anxiety, once I stayed awake although drowsy, I watched a movie; the second time I woke up in ICU for bradycardia, hypotension and change in level of consciousness. Despite talking this daily for 2 months, I still have side effects. My husband says this medicine makes me drunk. I have been taking 1mg at a time. It does work well."

candy's beautiful smile (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2014

"I've been on various pain meds and muscle relaxants for years. Soma was working till these past 6 months. I have severe Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Had Cervical Fusion in C5 & C in Jan 1st 2014, had Lumbar fusion in L5 & L4 about 5 years ago & now have Severe Herniated Disc's again at the L5 S1 region with nasty nerve pain radiating down Entire right leg to toes, along with Nasty Muscle Spasms & will be having another surgery soon. Been taking this for 3 days & doing great so far!"

Another surgery soon October 29, 2014

"My mother had taken this for years for leg cramps. She started having hallucinations. She started by having a dream every night for about a month that involved the same people. When she woke up in the morning, her dreams had become reality for her. I finally convinced her to go off the medication and now no more problems. Her cardiologist suggested she go off the medication about 6 month before."

Punky 62 August 4, 2014

"I take this for my Spina Bifida. Helps so much!"

Mp33 July 31, 2014

"After a bad car accident I've been prescribed several medications all of which had side effects that made them not possible to function with. Zanaflex is great, it starts working in about an hour after ingestion, it does make me sleepy so I take it one hour before bed and have a wonderful sleep. I wake up with out any grogginess the next morning. The only reason I didn't rate it a 10 is that if I took it during the day I would be drowsy."

Lilspark77 July 19, 2014

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Zanaflex was working well for my lower back which has been an issue since a car accident in Oct of 2013. This has progressed to a point where I am waiting for an M.R.I. During the last 3 months I have been dealing with spasms in my left leg that went from annoying and limiting my ability to move around slightly to full blown, unbelievably painful leg spasms. The medication is no longer working. I am going to call my doctor on Monday and ask about Soma since it seems to have a much better score when it comes to stopping spasms."

singingtothewheat (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2014

"I found this to be a wonderful muscle relaxant with very few, if any, negative side effects. It worked well for me during many bouts of chronic back pain that kept me awake at night. It did make me a little bit sleepy and dizzy, but nothing that bothered me very much at all. At night, this wasn't even a concern, but I could easily take it during the day at work and perform and feel fine. This isn't exactly a "pain" medication but I did find that it worked almost as well for my particular back pain as the narcotic medicines I was also prescribed."

O.Lou (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 3, 2014

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Zanaflex works great to relieve my lower back pain. However, it seems to keep me awake instead of helping me sleep. I rest well but just do not fall asleep."

Ga boy (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2014

"I have Multiple Sclerosis and was excited to begin Zanaflex as soon as it was approved in 1996. I had studied it for quite some time as it was in use in 47 countries before the US. I Love it and have had great results to this day with it. I'm not sure if it is very well presented or explained to patients; however, this is a very unique skeletal muscle relaxant & it actually targets the actual nerves of the patient. When you begin treatment it is important to note that for the 1st 2-3 weeks it is taking effect in your system. Great medicine!"

LAFS (taken for 10 years or more) April 4, 2014

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medication caused my blood pressure to drop but did not relieve the muscle spasms in my back."

backitis (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2013

"This medicine helps me sleep but that's the best i can say about it. It doesn't relieve pain or help relax my spastisity. If your pain and problems are only at night this is good for you. I hallucinate a lot once I adjusted to the dose it changed but if I ever have to take more than usual then I start to hear and see things......I had conversations with my husband in the middle of the night when he wasn't there. And many other accounts. I would suggest you use caution. I have a very high level of muscle pain for many reasons and I'm very spastic so its not a surprise that Zanaflex doesn't work as well as I'd like for me. I will continue to take it while i explore other options. It isn't a bad medication."

CerebralPalsyChick November 1, 2013

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Zanaflex has really helped me. I had major hip surgery last year and have had a very difficult time bouncing back. After the surgery I became very weak, lost significant amounts of muscle definition and tone, which resulted in a weakened lower back and core. I now live in excruciating pain, my L5 & S1 has completely compressed with my sciatic nerve in the middle. I have extreme nerve pain, and hypersensitivity down my right leg. Daily chores are very difficult, and my love for fitness now feels like a daunting chore. My doctor switched me from Soma to Zanaflex. At first I didn't like it because it made me extremely drowsy and would knock me out. Now I am used to the side effects and can honestly say that this medication is the best muscle relaxer I have ever taken. It reduces back pain, loosens up the tightness, and compliments my oxycodone very nicely. I can finally "function" again, and exercise, lift weights, and do my daily duties as a house wife & mother."

southernbeauty (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2013

189 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This has served duty as a sleep aid and muscle relaxer. I seemed to never get sleep until I tried this. My neck pain is much better. Only bad note is I'm a little more tired but it's worth it for the pay offs."

tunatea September 21, 2013

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have chronic pain from several herniated discs and spinal stenosis. I also have fibromyalgia. I began taking Zanaflex last month and the relief is wonderful. I no longer hurt and spasm all night and now I can sleep instead. I take 4mg tabs 2 at bedtime and go immediately to bed as it makes me drowsy right away and I become dizzy if I stay up. I wake up rested with no hangover at all and feel good the next day. I take narcotics during the day for pain relief and the addition of this to my regimen is great. I love it."

joyce (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2013

144 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine helped for fibromyalgia but caused hallucinations and fatigue."

crazy1679 February 18, 2013

"I have had very positive results with this medicine. I have MS and this help reduce problems."

dhbwms January 27, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I found that this medicine managed the muscle spasms associated with the three herniated discs in the lumbar region of my back"

OrdO (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 1, 2013

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Zanaflex is great for muscle spasms as I have them from Osteoarthritis in my spine, also spinal stenosis. If you are on any heart meds, please use the interactions checker because it may cause severe drops in blood pressure. I am taking Lisinopril, Hydrochlorothiazide and Metoprolol for heart arrhythmias and my blood pressure was dropping to dangerous levels. All of my specialists knew what medicines I was taking, but none of them noticed the interactions. I checked them myself here at Drugs.com and found the RED FLAGS myself, so be careful."

Turkey (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 6, 2012

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next