User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 462 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Acne

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I tried almost every topical an acne sufferer can get from drug stores, from natural to other kinds of drugs for acne, but none ever worked. My acne is moderate to severe type of acne. I am not saying that this medicine will work for you same way it does for me, but you should consider it when you talk to your Doctor. I've been taking this medicine for over a year now and I can't be any more clearer. I used to get tiny whiteheads all over my face, like when I try to pinch my skin, you can squeeze them out like small pieces of oil that became oxidized and yellow. Before I got this medicine, almost every day of my life I'd have to deal with new bumps just after one healed. My face is scarred, but this is the best one I have tried ever."

Leonardel February 8, 2016

"I've been on this med for 2 weeks so far and will be continuing for about a month ...I have some bacterial acne since the birth of my second child :( and I couldn't handle it anymore !!) I feel so bad for all the people with bad experiences but I have to say I've had none...and I take the full dose twice a day I have had a wee headache a few times but nothing an advil didn't cure, so I guess use at your own risk? But working great for me personally"

Ta ta (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Didn't do anything for me. I still have severe acne like always. It's been 2 years but no fix. Tried doxycycline, minocycline and this. None of them ever worked. I also have super oily skin and this medicine doesn't fix that. It only kills the bacteria, which in my case is not a big problem. Oily skin is giving me acne. Plus I was applying erythromycin 2% on face. Nothing happened. Took it for a month. Finally going on Accutane soon. It was the last resort for me."

Omairali December 15, 2015

"This combination of antibiotics changed my life. Amazing is an understatement. It's not good for your liver to take it for more than 6 months continuously. So I've been on-and-off of it for 4 years now. It's the only antibiotic that cleared my face from acne. It changed my life. I hope it does the same for you."

GraceDNA December 14, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "During college, as an athlete, I experienced a surprise acne issue. But it was relentless in college, never anything serious, but enough to frustrate me. I was prescribed bactrim my junior year and had unbelievable results. It cleared within weeks and if by chance, I ever broke out, the break outs were so minimal and healed so quick. I stayed on it for about a year and then came off of it because I had no more problems. My face stayed pretty good, here and there during the time of the month, but that was it. I just went back on it,a year and a half later, due to frustrating break outs around my chin. Again, nothing serious but I know that Bactrim works so why not! 2 weeks later, clear skin!! TRY IT"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 11, 2015

"I'm 18 and I've had acne for since I was 13. I have had various different treatments starting with the cream duac then when I needed my prescription renewing they said the demand was too high so I couldn't use it anymore but they prescribed me epi-duo. I was severely allergic with rashes all over my back face and chest this is when the put me on tetrysal/ lymisyclne (sorry about spelling) and was on that for 18 months and then that stopped working I went to go and see another dermatologist were they prescribed me with doxycyline so I tried that. no luck so they have now prescribed me this (3 tablets twice a day) and I have just started them yesterday I hope they work as it has severely effected my self- esteem."

_.Abbie_._._. December 7, 2015

"My junior year of college my moderate acne became very severe and I went to my dermatologist for help. He put me on Differin and 2x daily Minocycline (which did absolutely nothing). I went back, and my doc prescribed me Bactrim in conjunction with the Differin. Bactrim was quick and powerful in clearing up my moderate-severe acne. I have been taking Bactrim for 2 weeks and I almost immediately started seeing great results. I still get large zits here and there but nothing compared to what I had before. A lot of other reviews said this isn't a long term drug, which kind of sucks, but I'm gonna take what I can from it until I can no longer take it, haha. I would definitely recommend Bactrim to people who feel like nothing is working for them"

NBadger November 18, 2015

"I must say, that this is one fast and effective treatment for acne. I've had acne for many many years, since I was a teenager and now I'm in my mid-20, and I literally started noticing results within a week. It's cheap enough, and through blood testing every 3 months to make sure all is well, I haven't experienced any side-effects, thankfully. It's not receiving the full 10 treatment purely because I tried to reduce my dosage to see if my skin would manage, and within a day of doing so, my acne was back, so this is more of an acne band-aid, so to speak, but one that has seen my skin clearer than it has ever been. Plus I can now eat a lot of previous trigger foods without any worries! Hello, DAIRY!"

MRoberts909 October 22, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Have had severe acne for a long time and worked very well to clear up acne entirely with a few months. Unfortunately as soon as I go off of it, the acne slowly comes back. Still works amazing while on it though."

DJ234 October 19, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I am 20 years old and have been taking Bactrim since I was 14. Originally I started with a twice daily dose but have since decreased to half a pill every other day. It is not a perfect fix, as I still have to be attentive and wash my face twice a day and occasionally use an acne cream, but otherwise it works quite well. Before starting Bactrim I had moderate but painful acne, and I now only get small infrequent pimples. I am now a pharmacy student and thought I should warn people that extended use of any drug is dangerous. Also, Bactrim is NOT an antibiotic but is a synthetic sulfa drug meaning it is made from chemicals. Some people are severely allergic to sulfa drugs and should be cautious and talk to their doctor before taking this drug"

Aesthera October 16, 2015

"Unfortunately I have suffered with acne since primary school. That was the start of my acne, but then got worse all through secondary school. Because I went years and years with very clogged skin, and very nasty acne both black heads, white heads and angry pussy spots I never thought I would be able to clear my skin up. I was then prescribed oxcytetracyclin I think how it's spelt ?, and these where amazing they cleared my skin up down to a T. fast forward 2 years now, my body has got used to them and it was on to trimethoprim to try and clear the breakouts. These are amazing I saw results in 2 days however I had to stop as I started to get vomiting, nausea, headaches the list goes on. These are great tablets but side effects are terrible."

Albyjack October 13, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Ok so I have delt with acne my entire life even in my 30s. I was given this med for another issue and I noticed my skin is clearing up. I have been reading some of the reviews and not to be judgmental but I am shocked at how many people are using this med for 6 plus months. Transplant patients it's a must(my mother is one) but to use this long term is not my cup of tea. With bacteria becoming more and more immune to everyday meds what will they do when they have a severe infection like staph and it no longer works. Hospital bound on vanco, I know from experience. Trust me my acne is horrible and I truly understand the heartbreak but risking immunity from an antibiotic is not worth to me. Think long term. Just my opinion, God bless!"

gingslo October 7, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "While using Bactrim my acne cleared up very well and I was very happy. Unfortunately after a month I found out I was allergic to sulfa so I can't take it anymore. Sucks because it was the first thing I took that actually worked! Just my luck."

Natalie j September 26, 2015

"I'm 17 and started getting acne the beginning of freshman year. I was first put on benzyclin (idk how it's spelled) then I tried retin A. Sophomore year and junior year I used face washes which only broke me out more. Finally deciding to go back to the doctors after years for my acne, I explained how topical a hadn't worked for me so my doctor prescribed me Bactrim. I never heard if it and was worried it wouldn't work although she did say it was a powerful antibiotic. So far it's been 3 months and I've noticed a difference within the second week not drastic but a difference. I want to stay on as long as I can or until I'm out of the acne stage. Just make sure you are not allergic to sulfa"

TheNameiWantedisAlreadyinUse September 9, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I've had cystic acne on/off for four years. It would come and go where my skin would be horrible my acne and cysts all over then clear up for a few months. I had a bad breakout and took Doryx which made my acne worse. I switched to bactrim and within 1 month, my breakouts stopped and my larger cysts were going down. About 3 months later, I'm off and my skin has remained clear (minus very small pimples here and there)."

MariaLeeee August 18, 2015

"This takes at least 6-8 week to kick in, but don't just rely on the tablets. Make sure you drink lots of water and good food. I've noticed cheese makes my acne really bad. I've taken these tablets 1 year now, they help to an extent but I get the bad side effects, for some reason they make me need the toilet 4/5 times during the night, makes me wonder if they are trying to help my bladder as that's what these tablets are for and my body is confused. Also get BAD headaches towards the end of the day, I'd say as severe as a migraine. So I'm now coming off them and going to a skin specialist instead. Not worth the headaches to me!"

sarahuk (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 27, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I am a 34 year mother of 7. I had perfectly clear skin other than an occasional around my time of the month. Until about 25 yrs. old around the birth of my 3rd child. I started experiencing terrible acne all over. On my upper and lower back, my chest, my face, I have white heads, black heads, deep painful cystic acne. Complete MISERY & JUDGEMENT. I have always had VERY oily skin since puberty.I have tried everything you can imagine...every lotion,potion, cream, wash, mask, scrub, tea tree oil, apple cider vinegar. I was on doxy-cycline for a year w/ no results. I am on Bactrim for a sinus infection and have my fingers crossed it will work for my acne as well. If so I'll ask for a script. Anyone recommend a good product pimple or two"

Tasha Louise July 24, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Had acne forever, went through accutane which cleared it up for a good 2 years and the acne came back. Went back to the dermatologist and was prescribed bactrim. It didn't start working till a few weeks in but after that, I started noticing my face getting clearer. Unfortunately, taking bactrim for a long time isn't good for you for a long time so here I am starting back at square one, but it was the best few months I've in a while."

Filthydelphia July 11, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Bactrim is absolutely amazing for acne.. I had seen 4 different dermatologists by the time I was 17. My face acne has been considered mild, but my acne on my back and chest is moderate to severe. They tried many oral and topical medications, creams/gels on me. Nothing worked. Then finally the last dermatologist I found, he prescribed me to Bactrim 160/800. I can't remember how long I was on it the first time before it kicked in and started working, but I was on it for 2-3 years with absolutely perfect skin. I recently got pregnant and had to stop taking it. My acne slowly came back. Now, I had my son a month ago. My acne is back and is awful. I was able to get prescribed Bactrim again 2 weeks ago (apparently it's safe while nursing). I'm still anxiously waiting for it to kick in.. But I have hope, and know it will. I highly recommend!!"

Youngeblondemommy July 3, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I'm 18 years old and have had terrible acne for almost five years. I tried every possible thing before being put on Bactrim. I have been on this medicine for a little less than a year. After trying every other medicine my primary doctor could prescribe she gave me this and it worked so well. I've never had a problem with side effects. I highly recommend this medicine if you haven't had luck finding a solution to getting rid of your acne."

BreannaS July 1, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Whatever you do, DO NOT TAKE THIS! I would not recommend this for acne. 4 weeks into the treatment I was sent to the hospital, with a very bad fever it became hard to breathe. A couple days after I came home from the hospital My whole body felt like pins and needles on the inside and itchy on the out! :( most horrible thing I've went through. honestly accutane was less of a pain than this. I'd take dry lips to pins and needles any day."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Having acne for most of your teenage years into your early 20s is not fun. Being a 21 year old who went through Doxycycline and Minocycline, I thought I exhausted all of my options. I saw a few dermatologists who pushed Accutane down my throat. I said no. I went to my family doctor and I've been on Bactrim DS for over 6 months now and it is the best thing that has cleared up my acne. So powerful. I would highly recommend this medication."

Vin202020 June 21, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I am a 24 year old male and have semi oil skin. Never had acne until after high school around 20 years old so I guess you can call it adult acne. Anyway, I was dealing with cystic acne on my chin, cheeks, jawline and even some times on my nose. It was considered mild-moderate but still very uncomfortable coming from 20 years of a completely clear face. I would have anywhere from 6-8 decently sized cysts on my face at any given time. For almost 5 years I tried everything all sorts of washes and crap I read online which none worked. Finally went to a derm 3 months ago and got Bactrim 800-160 within a week my acne cleared and has been 99.9% gone ever since taking it twice a day every day."

TJRrrrrr May 20, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This medication did work for me but I was on it for about 3-4 months before my skin actually cleared up. Don't give up hope if you see no change in the first couple of months. I went from having moderate, hormonal acne mostly around the chin and jaw (but also would appear on other parts of the face) to having a perfectly clear and glowing complexion. I am also taking the OCP (and had been on it prior to starting on Bactrim)"

Cleared89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Started taking bactrim about 3 weeks ago. It cleared alot of my acne in the first and second week but i started to break out in the third week. Yesterday I noticed a bump on my neck just below the ear. Turns out its a swollen lymphnode and its the size of a golf ball. That same day I got a severe headache and today my neck is extremely stiff so I'm going to the ER in the morning. Bottom line is don't take it, the side effects probably aren't worth it just get a hold of accutane."

Chris7438 (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2015