User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim review summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 450 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Acne

Review by Former Sufferer in MN (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): Bactrim cleared my skin up in less than a week. I did forget to take it for a few days and it did come back, but cleared up right away as soon as I took it twice a day again.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 1, 2014 12:12 PM

Review by Mom of 14 year old girl (taken for less than 1 month):

My daughter started having acne in 5th grade. She had small sized acne on her back, upper arms and face. She was prescribed a topical Retin A lotion and a topical antibiotic. This combination worked until she was in 8th grade when her acne became more severe. She would not use her other meds sometimes because she said it wasn't working. During her routine physical she was prescribed this medicine and started to take it the same day. We saw improvement within the first 3 or 4 days. She's been taking for a just short of a month and the results for her are nothing short of a miracle. She still has some redness as her acne subsides but her skin no longer "angry" and the tone is improving each day. What a great way to start high school!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 16, 2014 7:34 AM

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): If you just started this medicine I know you're probably feeling bad about you acne. BUT LISTEN Bactrim works from the inside out and if you breakout in the first few weeks that's fine stick with it because soon your skin will be clear and Bactrim will help stop breakouts from ever happening in the first place soon! Cleared my hormonal acne. I rarely get a pimple and I had moderate to server acne and it was a life saver! Your acne will be cleared in just a few months. I suggest using a topical gel as well. Hang in there it helped me during a rough time in just 3 1/2 months I had a clear face, just a few acne marks on my cheeks only thing that stinks is I'm scared to go off the antibiotic and have a repulse of acne. But I suggest this!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2014 1:19 PM

Review by LnnVo (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I had mild to severe back acne with constant breakouts on my chest and face. My dermotologist prescribed me this specifically for my back acne but thank goodness it cleared up my face and chest! Before on a scale of 1-10 my face and chest were around a 7 but after being on the medication it's now a 1. My face/chest is now flawless and my back is now only left with scars. My back acne was extremely terrible but after using the medication for a few months, it stopped the breakouts and gave time for my skin to heal. I've used this medication for a little over one year now and I do admit you have to be patient with the medicine. As long as you don't pick and touch your problem spots then it should work nicely. I experienced nausea every morning when I take the medication and a loss in appetite but it's not that bad.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 30, 2014 9:30 AM

Review by Hartmaa (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): Works quite well for me. I have been on every med ever and even Accutane 3 times with no success. I have severe acne and simultaneous all over skin infection. 2 things- dairy if any kind sets it off and it's so much worse. Avoid dairy like the plague. 2- depends on how you skin is infected.my skin gets affected very often with Staph and so Bactrim and Keflex work really well. For people with p. Aches bacteria - erthromycin is awesome. But the sad fact is that over time it won't work as bacteria becomes resistant. I am seeing endocrinologist to find out what foods I am eating that seem to cause my body to make excess hormones and attack my skin. Best of luck all! Don't know what I'll do once I'm off Bactrim. I feel great and zero side effect

June 25, 2014 5:45 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I was encouraged by these reviews as I started this medicine, and I feel like I am one of the few whose acne didn't clear right up. I've been on it for just under a month now and my acne is the worst it has ever been. I just wanted to share because it seemed like everyone was so happy with it.

June 23, 2014 10:30 PM

Review by mustang500:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I had a liver transplant and was prescribed this medication as an ongoing treatment to combat bacterial infections that may occur due to being on immunosuppressants. I stopped taking it after one year but then experienced significant acne on my head and chest. I will resume this medication as obviously it has helped.

June 23, 2014 9:06 PM

Review by Anna A:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I'm 16 now and started using Bactrim when I was 15, I tried many other acne treatments like Proactiv and other topical gels but none of those worked as well as the Bactrim antibiotic! If you just started using this medication give it time it took me about two months to see results but after 6 I had no acne only breaking out occasionally! Wish I had a before and after picture because it was crazy how well my skin cleared. I used to take it twice a day and once my skin was totally clear I only started taking it a few times a week and I started breaking out again and acne came back I'm back taking it twice a day so hopefully it can do the trick again! But I'll post again in a few months if/when I see results in my skin again!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 12, 2014 4:46 PM

Review by AcneKiller (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I started taking this a few weeks ago and my acne is almost 100% gone. My skin feels very soft and smooth as well. It is definitely worth a try. I was on Monocycline before for about a year and my acne began to relapse. Once I started on Bactrim my skin was clear again but I am scared of relapsing since it is still an antibiotic. Drink lots of water as well because you constantly feel dehydrated.

March 24, 2014 2:56 AM

Review by NIMBLE1:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I had a kidney transplant and Bactrim was prescribed as part of my meds to allay any infections. I'm middle aged and have suffered from acne for years. To my surprise, my acne cleared! A bonus!

March 12, 2014 8:30 PM

Review by myboys14:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I am 41 years old and have struggled all my life with acne. Having done Roaccutane, Minocycline and every other medication and topical ointment. At 41 I was over acne. This is a miracle medicine. Skin cleared up in about 7 days and is absolutely flawless. Can't speak highly enough of this medicine. I am acne free for the first time in my life. Ask your doctor about this.

February 28, 2014 10:08 PM

Review by stephaniew2:

I have terrible, painful cystic acne. I have been on and off this medicine whenever my acne gets out of control. I have been taking it twice a day for the past two weeks and my skin is all cleared up.

February 24, 2014 12:24 AM

Review by Ashlyn Elisa:

My face was horribly broken out and covered in acne for the last five years along with painful cysts since I was 15, I'm 23 and I've tried every face wash, lotion, etc; finally my doctor gave me this prescription and I haven't had a cyst or a single pimple since. I've been on this medicine for two years now and I love it, only draw back is I'm always insanely thirsty on it no matter how much I drink and some nausea as well.

January 15, 2014 3:11 PM

Review by dann32132131:

I have been using this for a while now and still get out breaks.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2014 9:37 PM

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I took Bactrim for about 1 year and did not get a single breakout during that time. Really works wonders for skin. Now I have been on the maintenance dose to carry on the good work.

December 26, 2013 5:37 AM

Review by ktbaby94:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): My derm put me on this medicine after trying another. I break out on my chest, and once I started taking the medicine it cleared up in about two weeks. I haven't experienced any side effects!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2013 8:14 PM

Review by Ben Jammin:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I have been taking Bactrim for about a year and a half now. Prior to Bactrim I took everything else. I've had acne since I was roughly 15 and am now 23. Everything I took either left me feeling crappy, or didn't work. In my experience taking Bactrim the first 2-3 months my face breaks out horribly. Then at some time in that period it just goes away. It is absolutely the best acne medication I've ever taken! I have taken it twice.

October 15, 2013 1:06 AM

Review by piwo (taken for less than 1 month):

This is an amazing antibiotic. I enjoy the mirror now. I have been using it for 3 weeks & I no longer have pimples after struggling with a breakout for almost 6 months. I take 2 in the morning & 2 in the evening. I use Ilotycin at night 3X a week to remove spots. I have tried Accutane & Doxy my acne got worse. Am hoping to have a flawless skin by this summer.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2013 12:17 PM

Review by Jmichelle:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I am 52 with hormonal acne. My cysts were terrible. Did a number on my confidence. I have been on Bactrim for over a year for the cysts and finally something is working. I tried every other medicine with no results. Not sure how long I can be on this but I never want to stop. Afraid if I stop, the cysts will return.

September 7, 2013 7:09 PM

Review by Keesh3:

It started to clear up my acne, but then made me get really dry under eye circles. And then I had a reaction to it and I would wake up every morning with swollen eyes.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 3, 2013 1:39 PM

Review by sonya2785:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): Excellent

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 1, 2013 12:18 AM

Review by Dave!:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I've been on Bactrim for about 4 years now. Once per day. When I stop taking it my acne flares up. Hopefully it's not something I have to take for the rest of my life, by it definitely works when used!

July 23, 2013 4:59 PM

Review by EJay:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I'm 25 years old and still get those under the skin cystic pimples on my face. It is mild but one or two of those monsters just stand out. I've tried Retin-A, every single face wash I can think of, oil free moisturizers, toners, oil free make up. I mean I've done it even the DIY remedy for acne. Well, the dermatologist put me on Bactrim and I have been on it now for about 4 weeks and my face is CLEAR. I mean I've NEVER seen it this clear! I'm just looking at the mirror all the time because I cannot believe it. Very happy with results. He said I would have to be on them for a while. But I'm okay with it. It does cause a little nausea but it's nothing I can't handle and it doesn't last too long. Overall very happy.

July 11, 2013 1:36 AM

Review by apetters894 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been taking this medication for my acne for less than a month and all the dark marks and pimples I had on my face are about 90% gone. This medicine is amazing. I take one pill twice a day, the only draw back is the symptoms. I have nausea like never before, loss of appetite, and dizzy spells. The symptoms for me are incredibly strong, but I put up with it because I've tried Epiduo, Retin A, Proactiv, Neutragena, doxycycline, clindamycin, but all were way too harsh on my skin or ineffective. Clean and Clear acne wash with aloe vera has worked the absolute best along with this medication. I would definitely recommend it to someone looking to get rid of acne quickly and completely.

June 14, 2013 3:25 AM

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I took Bactrim for a month and I quickly saw the cystic acne disappear. So I started to reduce the dosage to 1 pill a day, then I stopped. In all, I was on the medication for a period of 2 months because I didn't like the idea of taking antibiotics for a large period of time. Recently, I've been having minor breakouts, but I'm paranoid. I am afraid to get filled with cystic acne again. So I decided to start retaking the antibiotics since I still have a couple of refills. Unfortunately I don't have health insurance anymore and I can't follow up with any Dr.

May 3, 2013 3:16 AM