User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Review Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 454 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Acne

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Whatever you do, DO NOT TAKE THIS! I would not recommend this for acne. 4 weeks into the treatment I was sent to the hospital, with a very bad fever it became hard to breathe. A couple days after I came home from the hospital My whole body felt like pins and needles on the inside and itchy on the out! :( most horrible thing I've went through. honestly accutane was less of a pain than this. I'd take dry lips to pins and needles any day."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Having acne for most of your teenage years into your early 20s is not fun. Being a 21 year old who went through Doxycycline and Minocycline, I thought I exhausted all of my options. I saw a few dermatologists who pushed Accutane down my throat. I said no. I went to my family doctor and I've been on Bactrim DS for over 6 months now and it is the best thing that has cleared up my acne. So powerful. I would highly recommend this medication."

Vin202020 June 21, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I am a 24 year old male and have semi oil skin. Never had acne until after high school around 20 years old so I guess you can call it adult acne. Anyway, I was dealing with cystic acne on my chin, cheeks, jawline and even some times on my nose. It was considered mild-moderate but still very uncomfortable coming from 20 years of a completely clear face. I would have anywhere from 6-8 decently sized cysts on my face at any given time. For almost 5 years I tried everything all sorts of washes and crap I read online which none worked. Finally went to a derm 3 months ago and got Bactrim 800-160 within a week my acne cleared and has been 99.9% gone ever since taking it twice a day every day."

TJRrrrrr May 20, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This medication did work for me but I was on it for about 3-4 months before my skin actually cleared up. Don't give up hope if you see no change in the first couple of months. I went from having moderate, hormonal acne mostly around the chin and jaw (but also would appear on other parts of the face) to having a perfectly clear and glowing complexion. I am also taking the OCP (and had been on it prior to starting on Bactrim)"

Cleared89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Started taking bactrim about 3 weeks ago. It cleared alot of my acne in the first and second week but i started to break out in the third week. Yesterday I noticed a bump on my neck just below the ear. Turns out its a swollen lymphnode and its the size of a golf ball. That same day I got a severe headache and today my neck is extremely stiff so I'm going to the ER in the morning. Bottom line is don't take it, the side effects probably aren't worth it just get a hold of accutane."

Chris7438 (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I'm a teen with pretty bad acne. Within two weeks my skin had cleared up tremendously. Unfortunately, then I started getting red hives all over my body due to a allergic reaction."

teen girl April 20, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "While I was only on Bactrim for one week, I feel like it was an experience to share! In this week I did notice a difference in my skin and it was probably the best my face has ever looked. That being said, I developed allergy symptoms pretty quickly but did not make the connection right away. High fever and nausea for a few days before a full-body rash on the 8th day. I was taking two pills a day. Always watch for symptoms and consult the doctor. I would still recommend this medication to others as it appeared VERY promising at clearing up my moderate hormonal acne. If I could go on it again, I would."

Anonymous1220 (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was suffering from acne since childhood.I tried Accutane but doesn't work for me.Tried any kind of drugs and creams prescribed by Dermatologist but nothing works.Recently I went to one dermatologist its Hospital Base clinic and she prescribed me Bactrim DS.I took it for a week and suddenly I just felt terrible I had severe fever and chills and after two days I noticed the rash all over my body I thought it's measles.but ouch! tachycardic,dehydration for just a week.When I visit my derma she said its Bactrim allergy.The bad thing is she has to send me to the Emergency. I was so happy at first because Bactrim cleared my acne in just a week but in the end it's horrible feeling that I almost dead."

Allendahaw (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Late September of 2014 I began to get hormonal cystic acne around my mouth, cheeks and chin. I tried a lot of different methods before finally reaching the end of my desperation. I went to the dermatologist and he prescribed me bactrim. I have seen nothing but great results--better than I could have hoped for. I had read plenty of reviews about bactrim and read that many people started to see results within 3 months of use. I too saw major results within that time frame. Patience is the key when taking bactrim but from my experiences with it, I promise it will be what you're acne prone skin has been dreaming of!"

LoRrdd April 8, 2015

"This drug has literally saved me, I was so low with my acne, I still have spots but no way as bad as before. I've been taking this 2 months, I didn't see results like all everyone else has said in a couple of days etc, I thought I'd stick to this and I'm glad I did, I think a couple more months of this my face will almost be clear. My acne scars are now my problem, I use Retin A but I'm on the Hunt for another treatment. I hope this continues to work for me and please try this, before the harsh drug accutane :)"

Carolinemightyfine April 7, 2015

"This medicine really works. After trying multiple things and getting frustrated with seeing no results, this finally cleared my skin. It took me about 6 weeks (I'm on a three month dose), so it does take a bit of time. But stay consistent with the medicine and it does wonders. I'm so appreciative of this. Doxy did nothing. Tried new washes and all the home remedies I could find. Even though there are marks left on my face that I'm working to get rid of, my face is smooth and feels great again."

Clear at last (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "My 15yr old son had terrible acne due to being inherited. We tried every facial wash and lotion out there. The dermatologist tried a couple antibiotics and nothing seemed to work. Accutane was our next option which I didn't want to do. A month ago his primary doctor prescribed Bactrim for an infection and we were shocked when it TOTALLY cleared his face and back up! We called the docs office and he now takes it daily with no side effects! Such a blessing!"

Angelic365 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This works wonders for my skin! My dermatologist recommended it after I cycled through a few other medications and topicals to no avail (never did accutane, though). I've been frustrated with my skin for years and although birth control definitely helped, I was still breaking out on a fairly regular basis. Once I started this medication the results were almost immediate. Within a week my skin was looking smooth and much less spotty. I very rarely get pimples while on this stuff, although blackheads are still a minor issue. Nothing a little makeup can't fix. So happy that this works so well for me!"

Solferino (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 19, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Im a 32 year old working mom of 4, who has dealt with acne for 14 years...extremely long story short. TRY IT, IT WORKS! Bactrim changed my life and gave me back my confidence. I feel good in my own skin now."

Marianneplus4 March 18, 2015

"I started to have acne since I was 12-13, it was really bad at that time for about a year then gone.Then just 6 months ago ( i'm now 22) my acne came back and keep getting worst and worst. I tried over the counter cream, micro demabrasion, doxycycline, all types of topical antibiotics. Nothing works :( then i went to my dematologist and was getting ready to go on accutance but then she told me that i should have try bactrim ds + epiduo first, for 3 months and see how they go. And they work out greatttt. I don't have any new break out at all after about a month on those pills. Now it just some red marks left and that will be faded soon if i keep using the epiduo. Try these combo, not epiduo by itself, it only works great with the bactrim."

Amy Ung March 5, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "The medicine worked SO well on my acne. Not even 10 days after beginning the prescription and my acne was already clearing up. Unfortunately I had an allergic reaction to the Sulfa in the medicine and was rushed to the hospital because the reaction caused the platelet levels in my blood to drop to extremely dangerous levels. I'm still searching for a medicine that works like this one did without the sulfa in it."

Gwen019 February 20, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Thank goodness I am not allergic to sulfa! This medication worked like a charm on my roseasa hormonal cystic acne on my chin. I am 48 years old and it took me way too long to discover this miracle! Coupled with clindamyicin my face was clear within days!"

Anonymous February 12, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "After 16 years of very severe acne I have finally perfect solution, cleared my face within 1 month. Love it, perfect!"

Hanc (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Bactrim worked miracles when I first started taking it. I was on it for almost 5 years, but it began to lose it's potency so I had to change. Overall, it helped a lot in clearing my acne. I did experience less of an appetite, but other than that it was a positive experience."

jjjjj29849857 December 30, 2014

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I had moderate to severe hormonal acne on my cheeks, and many breakouts on my chin and forehead as well. A combination of Aczone, Tazerac, and Bactrim (twice a day for about a month, then once a day, now I take it every other day) cleared up my skin almost completely. I rarely get any breakouts, and my skin is glowy. I think the Tazerac is most responsible for clearing up my scarring, so ask your doctor about that too. Bactrim was a lifesaver! SO happy I found it. "

Elise91 December 27, 2014

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I am a 40 something women with moderate hormonal acne. Did one round of Accutane with good results-but acne returned. Tried every other medicine and cream with no luck. Finally tried Bactrim and saw results in 2 DAYS! Been on it a week and have results better than Accutane. "

Stephbactrimuser December 16, 2014

"I started this medication a week ago and I have already seen fantastic results! I went to the dermatologist thinking that she was going to put me on another medication that wouldn't work. I was pretty much hopeless. But within almost 3 days of being prescribed I saw my skin clearing! I know what it feels like to have no hope that your skin will get better, but this worked so well for me. I highly suggest it. So far I have no side effects. Loss of appetite is the only one I've noticed, which isn't bad at all."

Anonymous November 25, 2014

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Hands down, the very best medication I've ever been on. My horrific cystic acne and litchen complex completely cleared in 4 months. Mostly clear within 2 weeks. The rest was just getting the dark spots to fade and some steroid cream for the litchen/eczema I had that surrounded all my acne. I suffered for 18 years with acne and did Accutane 4 times and every other oral and topical medicine on the market. This is the only thing that really worked. I have no side effects whatsoever. It is the miracle cure that I wish my other dermatologists had recommended. I take one Bactrim DS once a day- doctor says I can continue indefinitely. I likely will. My skin is stunning for the first time since I've been 19. If others don't work try this!"

Hartmaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2014

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I am 24 years old and have struggled with hormonal acne for the past year. I turned into a hermit. I tried a few things with my GP- changed my pill to Estelle- waited 3 months but nothing changed, it only worsened, tried many many many face washes, was prescribed Eryacne and doxycycline, which helped for a short period of time until it came back. I had had enough and decided to get a referral to a dermatologist- I wish I had done this sooner! He gave me Bactrim, which I was to take twice a day for 2 months as well as Epiduo gel. This combination was my saviour! I am now down to 1 tablet a day for another 2 months using Epiduo every second night. This is amazing and cleared up my acne but it does make you VERY sensitive to the sun."

missjess90 September 30, 2014

"I was on this about 2 years back. My acne was pretty bad. I would get it on my face, neck, back, and chest. This cleared EVERYTHING within 2 months. I ran out of prescriptions after about a year and around 5 months the acne came back even worse. I finally went back to the dermatologist a week ago and already it is showing a difference. It made my skin flawless before I'm sure it will do it again!"

Anonymous September 29, 2014