User Reviews for Januvia

Learn more about Januvia.

Diabetes, Type 2 34 reviews 124 medications

7.3
Summary of Januvia reviews 34 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Januvia

Review by yieyie17:

For Diabetes, Type 2: Excellent! I wish they would have left me on it!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2014 8:01 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Diabetes, Type 2: Best taken in the morning. Helps deal with hormone cycling.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 15, 2014 10:52 AM

Review by Leopatjen (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Diabetes, Type 2: No noticeable difference with Januvia, which was added to Metformin, Glipizide, and now Victoza. I have been taking the first three meds for a few years. My question is that I often see the entire Januvia pill, undigested, in my stool. Why is this? I tend to be constipated but do not take laxatives. I told my doctor, but she did not seem concerned. If this med is just passing through my body, what is the point? I take my Januvia, and Glipizide before dinner, and my Metformin before breakfast and my night time snack. ( I have high morning sugars.)

November 6, 2013 2:24 PM

Review by Sree8485 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Diabetes, Type 2: One month before I got newly diagnosed that I am diabetic. My A1C test shows 6.9 and doctor told I have diabetics. He preferred Januvia 100mg (1 time) with metformin 500 mg (2 times). I felt some side effects initially and gone after some days. Now I am doing regular exercise. But if I stop exercise or eat more food, the side effects like stomach problem easily coming back. Now when I am checking my sugar in device, it's showing around 70-80 on fasting and 90-105 two hours after breakfast. But I think my glucose coming down when I miss a meal any time. I can't tolerate it. So I believe, exercise is more important than any medicine. Once I dropped all medicines for ten days and exercised only, it showed normal glucose levels.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 22, 2013 6:23 AM

Review by troy467 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Diabetes, Type 2: I take Januvia 100mg once daily with metformin and glyburide, and I it works.

July 12, 2013 12:29 PM

Review by Ozzymosis (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Diabetes, Type 2: If I would be more compliant with my diet and exercise regimen, Januvia would help me stay under 6. No noticeable side effects, although after reading other reviews, possibly the lack of sleep might be attributed to it. I had some joint pain but I take CoQ10 and that made it go away. Not sure if that was from Januvia or the statins. Overall, I like it. Can't wait until, with better compliance, I can come off these costly medicines.

January 6, 2013 8:50 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Diabetes, Type 2: I got upper respiratory infection that did not get better until I got off of Januvia.

January 2, 2013 12:22 PM

Review by Happyman60 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Diabetes, Type 2: I have been on a combination of Januvia and Metformin (called Janumet) for a year. A HUGE difference with everything that was tried for the last 30 years (I am 60 now). The key factor with this is that its operation depends to some extent on the blood sugar level so it does not cause Hypoglycemia! This enables me to be a bit more hungry before a meal compared to what I was used to (always being scared of entering Hypoglycemia and therefore making sure I was never hungry i.e. eating all the time. It has changed my life. My fasting sugar is 100, my HbA1C is now 5.7 (used to be 140 and 7.0 with normal glib ethic type medication). Unbelievable!

September 12, 2012 11:21 AM

Review by Laurelanne:

For Diabetes, Type 2: On 100 mg daily for almost 2 yrs and could hardly walk, lay or sit anymore. EXTREME joint pain, increasing monthly. Sent to arthritis doctor and ortho with no relief, only more pills. I researched online and found others with same problem. Took myself off Januvia and joint pain is GONE! I can walk again!

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2012 1:47 AM

For Diabetes, Type 2: I have been taking Januvia for 3 months and my A1C has dropped from 7.2 to 6.6. I have also lost 12 pounds.

January 11, 2012 8:41 AM

For Diabetes, Type 2: I've been on Januvia for about 5 months after being on Metformin alone twice a day for 6 months. My average blood glucose before meal is in the 80s even though I am non compliant with my exercise schedule, I have to admit it. But I noticed mild knee pain, not sure if it is related to medicines. Other than that I'm happy with Januvia.

November 16, 2011 1:26 AM

Review by vin1z:

For Diabetes, Type 2: My body had developed resistance for the sitagliptin after 45 days of use. It worked fine with my body for 40-45 days, and became ineffective later. My doctor switched me to glipizide/glimepiride which works with my body effectively even after 1 year use along with metformin combination.

November 16, 2011 1:03 AM

Review by coramac333:

For Diabetes, Type 2: I have been on Januvia for about 7 weeks and have had diarrhea the whole time. I'm also on metformin and between the 2 I don't think I've had a solid poop in weeks but my blood sugars are down from 25 to under 10 most days. I have gained weight 15lbs and I can't handle the cold this year, always getting chilled. I also have to take mine with food otherwise I get an acid stomach all day no matter what I do. I will be talking to my doctor to see if there are other options or if the benefits outweigh the negatives.

October 29, 2011 3:21 PM

Review by blueleader:

For Diabetes, Type 2: I have been taking Januvia for about a year and have experienced these side effects, difficulty swallowing, pain in stomach that radiates to my back, hard time eating because of nausea. I finally had to quit taking it. Also was constipated all the time. Now that I am off of Januvia everything is back to normal.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2011 8:16 PM

Review by Almost Jake:

For Diabetes, Type 2: I was initially on Januvia but didn't find it effective. My sugar levels were good in the morning (105), but skyrocketed to 160 after eating a meal. I ended up switching to Janumet, which is Januvia Metformin. The Janumet helped but was later supplemented with Amaryl. From my experiences, the only positive feedback about Januvia or Januvia-based medicines is that they do not cause hypoglycemia.

March 16, 2011 3:33 PM

For Diabetes, Type 2: I have been using this medicine for over 6 months. At first it was great because I quit experiencing the low blood sugar at lunch time from glyburide. Now I am having a little higher blood sugar, 120-145 fasting, which is high for me, and horrible heartburn and stomach issues. Not sure if it is stress or a side effect. May take a break from it and see what happens.

September 13, 2010 11:29 AM

Review by easterlilly:

For Diabetes, Type 2: I have not experienced any side effects besides a little constipation. My eating habits has decreased. My weight has dropped 10 pounds a month for the last 2 months. I don't think it is the medication that cause me to lose, but my 5 miles a day run. Overall its a good product. Does not cause my glucose to go too low.

August 30, 2010 1:42 PM

For Diabetes, Type 2: I have been on Januvia 100 mg for about 1 year, 1 pill per day, my blood sugars ran from 124 to 138. The past 4 weeks my doctor increased it to 3 times a day, because my blood sugar started to go up to 152-240. I wish I knew what happened. My diet is the same and at first I lost weight and now am at a stand still. Maybe I should change. I have trouble sleeping and take something for that. Hope it will change soon.

July 13, 2010 8:28 PM

Review by Hari1108:

For Diabetes, Type 2: I have been on Junuvia for eight weeks. No side effects, no problems. The blood sugar two hours after eating is well below 120. However the fasting blood sugar level does not dro below 100. Overall I am very satisfied. It is very expensive but good.

February 22, 2010 5:15 PM

For Diabetes, Type 2: Since starting taking Januvia, I have been throwing up almost every morning. The stomach acid is so strong and now my throat is raw. My stomach constantly churns and very nauseous. Since taking this medicine, I have heartburn and indigestion My sleeping habits have changed, because of the constant stomach churning and it has been keeping me up. I got tired of being sick everyday. This is no way to live and try to enjoy life. I have quit taking Januvia and now I feel "normal". My regular sleeping habits return, and stomach feels fine.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2009 12:01 PM

Review by InaPottorff:

For Diabetes, Type 2: My blood sugars dropped by at least 9 points the second day on Januvia. I went from a morning 121 avg to 101, lunch 90 to 79, dinner 141 to 139, bedtime 161 to 150.

October 11, 2009 1:32 PM

Review by wallycs:

For Diabetes, Type 2: Have been on metformin 2.5g, glimepride 4mg, Januvia 100mg reading now 6.3 3 months on Januvia for 12 months. No weight gain, no side effects. Was on Actos, gained 4kg, had hypos readings above 7. 3 months all the time, less hunger pain no hypos, best readings in 3 years.

September 18, 2009 9:52 PM

Review by bulldog24:

For Diabetes, Type 2: Am taking Metformin and Glipizide. That was not getting the numbers under 7 so Doctor added Actos. I gained 20 lbs in 3.5 months. Doctor has switched me to Januvia instead of Actos. Only second week but side effects have been minimal (some sleep issues). The big thing is no longer feeling hungry all the time. We'll see how the numbers turn out in 2 months.

August 8, 2009 2:21 PM

Review by texasjack:

For Diabetes, Type 2: I couldn't tolerate metformin at all. Moving to Januvia was wonderful. I've been on it for a year and a half and have had no side effects whatsoever. Blood glucose numbers and A1c (5.7!) have been good, but I also exercise and closely watch my diet.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 13, 2009 11:29 AM

For Diabetes, Type 2: Metformin and Glipizide weren't working well enough to keep my blood sugar in control. My doctor added Starlix at meals and that seemed to help some but still didn't produce the desired results. As a last resort to beginning insulin, he prescribed Januvia. Wow! What a difference. My morning readings dropped from the 170s into the 80-90 range within a week or two. Only negative side effect is occasional constipation, but nothing I can't deal with. Have been taking Januvia for about four months and one positive benefit I've noticed is a decrease in cravings or appetite in the evenings (the worst time of the day for me).

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 7, 2009 9:35 AM