User Reviews for Januvia

Learn more about Januvia.

Januvia Review Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 110 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Januvia to treat Diabetes, Type 2

"Been taking Januvia for almost 2 wks .... almost instantly had difficulty breathing, rapid heart beat and coughing. I have more energy but i don't like the side effects. i have a hard time talking bc I'm constantly coughing and thats not good especially when you're a college instructor. Just called my MD to see if there's something else i can try."

Ritacatl August 24, 2015

"Been taking januvia 100 mg a day for 12 days and it has just started to work really well Blood sugar is 6.9 mmol at mid day Very pleased and I have no side effects Fortunately in England diabetics get there meds free on nhs"

Andrew1975 July 24, 2015

"I guess medicines don't work the same for everybody. I have been taking Januvia (50mg) for 6 months now and have had no side effects at all. I take 3 metformin daily. My blood sugar readings have gone down from 8.1 to 6.9 (Canadian scale). I thought I was heading for type 1 but Januvia really works for me. Like many things, you could just try it and see for yourself."

Reidski July 1, 2015

"Side effects were awful."

Anonymous June 8, 2015

"Doc put me on Metformin, which my liver didn't fair well with, and then tried the Januvia 100mg. After 2.5 wks, I told him I was experiencing facial / hand / eye lid swelling and told him I felt this wasn't a good fit for me. So, he prescribed Januvia 50mg, which after three days, caused nausea, upper abdominal pain, orange urine, and skyrocketing BG from low 120's to well over 200's after eating. I immediately quit taking it."

ddw_Atlanta May 13, 2015

"Excellent! I wish they would have left me on it! "

yieyie17 October 5, 2014

"Best taken in the morning. Helps deal with hormone cycling."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 15, 2014

"No noticeable difference with Januvia, which was added to Metformin, Glipizide, and now Victoza. I have been taking the first three meds for a few years. My question is that I often see the entire Januvia pill, undigested, in my stool. Why is this? I tend to be constipated but do not take laxatives. I told my doctor, but she did not seem concerned. If this med is just passing through my body, what is the point? I take my Januvia, and Glipizide before dinner, and my Metformin before breakfast and my night time snack. ( I have high morning sugars.)"

Leopatjen (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 6, 2013

"One month before I got newly diagnosed that I am diabetic. My A1C test shows 6.9 and doctor told I have diabetics. He preferred Januvia 100mg (1 time) with metformin 500 mg (2 times). I felt some side effects initially and gone after some days. Now I am doing regular exercise. But if I stop exercise or eat more food, the side effects like stomach problem easily coming back. Now when I am checking my sugar in device, it's showing around 70-80 on fasting and 90-105 two hours after breakfast. But I think my glucose coming down when I miss a meal any time. I can't tolerate it. So I believe, exercise is more important than any medicine. Once I dropped all medicines for ten days and exercised only, it showed normal glucose levels."

Sree8485 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2013

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I take Januvia 100mg once daily with metformin and glyburide, and I it works."

troy467 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2013

"If I would be more compliant with my diet and exercise regimen, Januvia would help me stay under 6. No noticeable side effects, although after reading other reviews, possibly the lack of sleep might be attributed to it. I had some joint pain but I take CoQ10 and that made it go away. Not sure if that was from Januvia or the statins. Overall, I like it. Can't wait until, with better compliance, I can come off these costly medicines."

Ozzymosis (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 6, 2013

"I got upper respiratory infection that did not get better until I got off of Januvia."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 2, 2013

"I have been on a combination of Januvia and Metformin (called Janumet) for a year. A HUGE difference with everything that was tried for the last 30 years (I am 60 now). The key factor with this is that its operation depends to some extent on the blood sugar level so it does not cause Hypoglycemia! This enables me to be a bit more hungry before a meal compared to what I was used to (always being scared of entering Hypoglycemia and therefore making sure I was never hungry i.e. eating all the time. It has changed my life. My fasting sugar is 100, my HbA1C is now 5.7 (used to be 140 and 7.0 with normal glib ethic type medication). Unbelievable!"

Happyman60 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 12, 2012

"On 100 mg daily for almost 2 yrs and could hardly walk, lay or sit anymore. EXTREME joint pain, increasing monthly. Sent to arthritis doctor and ortho with no relief, only more pills. I researched online and found others with same problem. Took myself off Januvia and joint pain is GONE! I can walk again!"

Laurelanne April 9, 2012

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking Januvia for 3 months and my A1C has dropped from 7.2 to 6.6. I have also lost 12 pounds."

Anonymous January 11, 2012

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on Januvia for about 5 months after being on Metformin alone twice a day for 6 months. My average blood glucose before meal is in the 80s even though I am non compliant with my exercise schedule, I have to admit it. But I noticed mild knee pain, not sure if it is related to medicines. Other than that I'm happy with Januvia."

Anonymous November 16, 2011

"My body had developed resistance for the sitagliptin after 45 days of use. It worked fine with my body for 40-45 days, and became ineffective later. My doctor switched me to glipizide/glimepiride which works with my body effectively even after 1 year use along with metformin combination."

vin1z November 16, 2011

"I have been on Januvia for about 7 weeks and have had diarrhea the whole time. I'm also on metformin and between the 2 I don't think I've had a solid poop in weeks but my blood sugars are down from 25 to under 10 most days. I have gained weight 15lbs and I can't handle the cold this year, always getting chilled. I also have to take mine with food otherwise I get an acid stomach all day no matter what I do. I will be talking to my doctor to see if there are other options or if the benefits outweigh the negatives."

coramac333 October 29, 2011

"I have been taking Januvia for about a year and have experienced these side effects, difficulty swallowing, pain in stomach that radiates to my back, hard time eating because of nausea. I finally had to quit taking it. Also was constipated all the time. Now that I am off of Januvia everything is back to normal."

blueleader October 3, 2011

"I was initially on Januvia but didn't find it effective. My sugar levels were good in the morning (105), but skyrocketed to 160 after eating a meal. I ended up switching to Janumet, which is Januvia Metformin. The Janumet helped but was later supplemented with Amaryl. From my experiences, the only positive feedback about Januvia or Januvia-based medicines is that they do not cause hypoglycemia."

Almost Jake March 16, 2011

"I have been using this medicine for over 6 months. At first it was great because I quit experiencing the low blood sugar at lunch time from glyburide. Now I am having a little higher blood sugar, 120-145 fasting, which is high for me, and horrible heartburn and stomach issues. Not sure if it is stress or a side effect. May take a break from it and see what happens."

Anonymous September 13, 2010

"I have not experienced any side effects besides a little constipation. My eating habits has decreased. My weight has dropped 10 pounds a month for the last 2 months. I don't think it is the medication that cause me to lose, but my 5 miles a day run. Overall its a good product. Does not cause my glucose to go too low."

easterlilly August 30, 2010

"I have been on Januvia 100 mg for about 1 year, 1 pill per day, my blood sugars ran from 124 to 138. The past 4 weeks my doctor increased it to 3 times a day, because my blood sugar started to go up to 152-240. I wish I knew what happened. My diet is the same and at first I lost weight and now am at a stand still. Maybe I should change. I have trouble sleeping and take something for that. Hope it will change soon."

Anonymous July 13, 2010

"I have been on Junuvia for eight weeks. No side effects, no problems. The blood sugar two hours after eating is well below 120. However the fasting blood sugar level does not dro below 100. Overall I am very satisfied. It is very expensive but good."

Hari1108 February 22, 2010

"Since starting taking Januvia, I have been throwing up almost every morning. The stomach acid is so strong and now my throat is raw. My stomach constantly churns and very nauseous. Since taking this medicine, I have heartburn and indigestion My sleeping habits have changed, because of the constant stomach churning and it has been keeping me up. I got tired of being sick everyday. This is no way to live and try to enjoy life. I have quit taking Januvia and now I feel "normal". My regular sleeping habits return, and stomach feels fine."

Anonymous November 6, 2009

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Diabetes, Type 2