User Reviews for Zoloft

Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Social Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Social Anxiety Disorder

Review by waterfirewind12 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Asking my doctor about Zoloft was one of the best decisions for me. I have suffered from anxiety as long as I can remember. I feel like a new person now. I didn't even fully realize how bad it was until taking Zoloft. I didn't want to take meds, I thought my anxiety was just part of who I was and something I would have to deal with forever. Zoloft has changed my life.

December 12, 2014 9:29 PM

Review by Anon321:

Did NOT want to take meds, but I am so glad I finally hit rock bottom and decided Zoloft was an option worth considering. Seriously, it has completely changed my life. As long as you have a reputable therapist/doctor giving you the meds, there should be no major issues. Had some problems with sleep at first, but I started taking melatonin at night and now it's all good.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 26, 2014 3:23 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Feel so good when it finally start working at day #15. Feel calm in public for the first time in my life. Only cons is not able to orgasm and increased sweating.

November 20, 2014 2:21 PM

Review by ED1982:

Social anxiety since child (born in 1982) 2005-2008 - Sertraline 100-200 mg/day (rating 6,5/10) 2009 - Sertraline 100mg/day, Mirtazapine 45mg/day, Clonazepam 10mg/day (rating 6,5/10) 2010 - Clomipramine (rating 1/10) made me terribly anxious 2011 - Bupropion + Mirtazapine (rating 6/10) anxious and angry, but depression was gone 2012-2013 Parnate (IMAO) (rating 5/10) food restrictions, insonia, anxious all the time and tolerance to Diazepam 2014 - Escitalopram 40 mg + Mirtazapine 45 mg (rating 5,5/10) less anxious but terribly depressed I'll talk to my doc and go back to sertraline. Not exccelent, but I have to give another chance

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 11, 2014 5:23 PM

Review by Chrisssyyy:

No one likes to be on medications if possible but unfortunately most of the time, anxiety and depressions are tough. Negative thoughts, feeling uneasy almost all the time, social difficulties had affected me more than words can describe until I see the psychiatrist for help. Was prescribed Remeron along with Xanax at first but Remeron knock me off even at lowest dosage and constant migraines. Doc then switched me to Zoloft 25mg, its been a year now I'm feeling myself again, laughter is back, seeing things in brighter ways, willing to be back to work life. Anxiety and depression still lingers around sometimes but much bearable. Trying to slowly cut down Xanax and back to normal life. Side effects are sexual difficulties and stomach discomfort.

October 5, 2014 6:59 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have tried other anti anxiety medications but they gave me terrible side effects. Zoloft has almost completely taken away my anxiety and the only side effect I have is sleep loss that is corrected by a sleep aid. I am so much happier and my life has been so much better since being on this medication. I experienced this almost right away after starting the medication. I didn't realize how much my anxiety had really been affecting my life until I started using Zoloft.

September 26, 2014 1:23 AM

Review by Dylan001:

Zoloft was the first antidepressant I had been put on. It was mainly prescribed for my anxiety but also for my problems with depression and as soon as I started taking I started to feel better (possible placebo effect). I had to build up the dosage slowly because the side effects were moderately harsh on me. Although it did not make me tired like Luvox does to me, it gave me stomach aches and decreased appetite. And I had periods of dizziness as well. I was beginning to see improvement especially because I began it during the summer when most of my stress was coming from school. But after about 3 months when I went on vacation, my symptoms came back out of nowhere and I slowly went off of it. I am on Luvox now. I am 14 years old.

September 25, 2014 9:18 PM

Review by hassanb (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Best medication for social anxiety disorder with somatisation. I take 100mg of Zoloft, less side effects than other antidepressants.

August 18, 2014 10:39 AM

Review by sammy87 (taken for less than 1 month):

Diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder I was very hesitant at the start to try medications and thought I'll battle through with the help of therapy. 3 months later I gave in for medication. Couldn't get through a day without my anxiety being an obstacle. Was prescribed Zoloft for the first time at 25mg. For the first week things were fine just the usual upset stomach and dry mouth nothing I couldn't handle but surprisingly it made me depressed (never was) but anxiety DID settle a little (hence 5/10). Then was pushed up to 50mg... the upset stomach stopped the dry mouth decreased but restlessness and insomnia kicked in including the zombie feeling. This went on for over 2 weeks but had to stop, it was affecting my work. Withdrawal symptoms, depression.

July 21, 2014 11:02 PM

Review by Lorae:

I have problem with anxiety and depression. I've been using Zoloft for about one year and it is so much better. No depression, no bad mood, anxiety is not so high, perfect. I tried few times to stop, but I always fall in depression after that.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 27, 2014 3:53 PM

Review by smileydie:

Ive been taking it for over 5 years and it works for the most part.

March 16, 2014 5:15 PM

Review by Eswes18 (taken for less than 1 month):

I have suffered with generalized anxiety disorder and social anxiety disorder since I can remember. I got prescribed these at 50mg 3 weeks ago. The first few days I got a horrible cold nausea feeling in the pit of my stomach, I had no appetite and I noticed straightaway that it took me longer to orgasm. 3 months into them, I still feel anxious, but for the first time since I can remember I was able to present to a group without shaking, losing my voice and my heart beating rapidly. It almost feels like a small weight has been lifted which gives you that control back over my thoughts. I was able to say 'put your best into it. You will be fine' and I believed it. This is only a small step to overcoming my anxiety but this medication has helped me a lot.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 6, 2014 9:39 AM

Review by angel239023 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I was on Zoloft for about 7 years. Worked great at first, but eventually had to come off it due to horrible side effects. If I missed a dose, I would have debilitating brain zaps. Then, I started the brain zaps randomly through the day regardless of missing a dose or not. This medicine killed my libido.

January 27, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by Larkspur94 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

When I first started taking it I had a lot of side effects, like nausea, sleepiness, insomnia, muscle twitching, decreased sexual interest, headache, nightmares, need to move legs and others I can't remember but I was desperate to get rid of the anxiety so persisted. Most of the side effects went away after several days. I still have the leg movement and insomnia and but it's manageable. It took about 5 1/2 weeks before I noticed any effect by when I feel happier, like I can't even think in a depressed way, and I can talk to people online with ease. Still panic about the outside with strangers everywhere and conversing one on one is still hard. Nut now after 6 weeks my doctor has put me up from 50mg to 100mg so I'll see how that goes.

December 18, 2013 3:51 PM

Review by IndieVisible (taken for 1 to 6 months):

The first time I tried Zoloft I hated it, made me feel very nauseous. My doctor wanted me to start on 50mg for 5 days and then go to 100mg, I never made it to day 3 on 50mg. SO I decided to try half of a half approximately 25mg and that worked fine! After 5 days I went to 50, then 5 more days 100, no problems! What I noticed that at the end of the first week was I was more at ease. It not only helped my social anxiety but also reduced my general anxiety too stretching out my Xanax for when I really needed it the most. Worth noting I also take Wellbutrin with the Zoloft and while it's not perfect, I am very happy and pleased with this combination.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 5, 2013 3:22 AM

Review by rob1239:

Been on 50mg for 2 days now (started for a week on 25mg) and now that I take the higher dose my mood is a bit better but my social anxiety it loads better, the feeling of making people laugh is amazing when you are not afraid to speak, although maybe not drink on this? I had 3 drinks and became so upset and depressed.

November 19, 2013 8:15 AM

Review by sashaw:

I am not the same person when I'm off this medication, the difference is nearly night and day. I'm so much happier, I have heaps more confidence, and all in all my life just works better when I'm on it. I only came off it as a trial but I went back on after a month; I don't like the way I am without it I'm irritable, and cry easily and obsess about everything! That has eased up so much and I am generally much happier and more able to get on with my life :)

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 27, 2013 10:51 PM

Review by ahgei (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm 20, and on my fifth day on sertraline, and I'm already feeling great! I have generalized anxiety and social anxiety, which had caused me to feel extremely nervous even around close friends and family. I hardly spoke in groups, and people thought that I was just being quiet because I was a quiet person, when really, I was just afraid that my voice would shake and make me look stupid. My first two days on sertraline were a bit tough. I had a presentation which caused me a lot of anxiety, even more than usual (maybe because of the new chemicals in my body). But somehow, my presentation was very successful, and after it was over, I felt so accomplished. Since then I am noticing some fantastic changes. I'm becoming optimistic about my life.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 26, 2013 1:00 PM

Review by MMH0716 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

31 year old Female. I was on Zoloft for 4-5 years in college and then tapered off. After being off it for 5 years or so, my daily anxiety gradually started creeping back into my life until I reached a point last year where I would have horrible panic attacks everyday. I've been on 75 MG a day for the past 7 months and I feel better than I have in years! It took a while to find the correct dosage for me, but once I have it's been amazing. Along with the Zoloft I also take 15 MG Buspar daily and Lorazepam as needed.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2013 9:55 PM

Review by babysmith (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 15. I have been on Zoloft (25 mg) for over a month now. I was prescribed through my gastroenterologist for social anxiety and generalized anxiety which was causing ongoing digestive trouble. I have suffered through severe anxiety disorders and depression for most of my life. Since the first pill, I have cried only once. My overwhelming loneliness and hopelessness has gone away also. I haven't had any side effects that I've noticed. The only downside to this medicine is that it hasn't worked well for me in social situations when I am nervous. It does not prevent me from shaking, turning red, tensing up, etc. It might be necessary for me to move up to 50 mg, but that isn't urgent as of right now. I would recommend.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2013 1:28 AM

Review by George101:

Have struggled all my life with anxiety, worked out 7 days a week to try and control it. Panic attacks- just horrible- no lifts, no planes, no tunnels. Tried CBT, finally I thought I don't want to live this way anymore. Pill phobic, but finally I tried it, a quarter of a tablet for two weeks, then half again, for two weeks. What can I say? It had changed my life completely. I love it. I feel normal! No side effects. It took three months but felt better within weeks. All of you out there undecided, unsure, afraid of what you've read- please do yourself a favour and try it- be positive about it, open and give it a go- you won't regret it. I can fly, drive, amazing.

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2013 3:58 AM

Review by Robert12:

I've been on Zoloft for 3 months now and I've got to say its been pretty good. I am on 50mg a day and sometimes I skip because I'm not so worried anymore. Really has helped out a lot. I'm making friends.

August 20, 2013 3:08 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

It has been quite a change for the better. I've been suffering from panic attacks and really bad anxiety since 16, now 21 and finally broke down, had enough, went to the doc and he put me on sertraline. Been on it for almost 3 months and it has made a huge difference. I feel happier around my coworkers and around people. I haven't felt weird and uncomfortable or had any bad panic attacks. I'm on 25mg and feel in control of my life. I'm finally feeling normal thanks to this medicine so far. I'll stick with this dose for awhile and see how it goes. Side effects very little like shaky when I wake up. But I love it so far.

August 12, 2013 11:28 PM

Review by claireabelle (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 yrs ago after years of suffering and take Lamictal and Seroquel but when Zoloft was added I haven't looked back. It has saved my marriage I had uncontrollable jealousy negative and suicidal thoughts social anxiety and panic attacks. Now I stand at the school yard socialize and have started going out with my husband again. Have put some weight on but compared to how I felt it is worth it.

July 15, 2013 7:04 PM

Review by ky man (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I take 50 mg of Zoloft and 3 x 2mg Xanax a day and 1 Adderall XR 30mg. I was so depressed at one time before I got on these medicines.

May 10, 2013 4:56 PM