User Reviews for Zoloft

Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Social Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Social Anxiety Disorder

"Hi Everyone, I've recently been offered a very good job in the insurance industry training bank staff on insurance products and doing presentations to different people EVERY DAY. I am an insurance specialist but have never had to present to strangers let alone present to a new bank with new people every day. I'm in day 3 of my new role, first day went shaky, but okay. Second day went alot better, but this morning my social anxiety got the better of me and I choked in my presentation this morning. My words came out wrong, I started shaking and sweating. I had to get up for a glass of water. I couldn't continue and I felt embarrassed in from of a crowd of people listening to "the expert". I blamed it on my asthma. What do I do???"

Insurance Man2 February 3, 2016

"I have been on Zoloft (Lustral/ Sertraline) UK) on and off for 20 years. I trust it. I have never written about it online or discussed it much with anybody other than medical professionals. I am writing this for those that are in the first 6 weeks of treatment. I take 50-150mg, usually the maintenance dose of 50mg is enough. Sometimes I will take it up to 75mg and rarely up to 100mg. On 50mg, no side effects at all after 8 weeks of treatment. 75mg and upward causes problems in the man department for me. I change dose at /- 25mg at a time. I would never dream of going straight to 50mg, but that's just me. Weeks 3-6 you to just have to grin and bear it. You will not feel like that forever, it goes away and you will feel well. I promise."

GeorgeJungle7053 January 23, 2016

"I am a classic text book case of Social Anxiety Disorder. I have suffered my whole life with out seeking help and knowing that I could be helped. That is until it all spiraled to the point of disrupting my career. I had no purpose and hope in life. I just live. I have been on Zoloft 50mg for 12 days and for now my anxiety has worsened but holding out hope I would get better. I live in Africa and have an opportunity to work as a volunteer abroad and before that in two weeks time I will be travelling to the US for training. This is my first international trip and I am feeling anxious like hell. I have the knowledge, skill and experience i am just worried my SA will let me down. pray to me"

rough December 23, 2015

"I've been on this medication for a year and it seriously changed my life. I suffered from the worst anxiety attacks ever. I went to emergency room twice thinking I was having a pulmonary embolism. After taking this medication for 3 months I had never experienced anxiety. The only down fall is a few side effects such as, dry mouth, crazy dreams every night and my metabolism has slowed down. These side effects are worth it over the horrible feeling of not being able to function because I had such bad anxiety. Taking 50mg at bed time. Definitely recommend."

123kels22 December 17, 2015

"I had extreme issues with anxiety and depression. I'm really happy I chose to start taking zoloft because it helped almost immediately"

Madilins December 6, 2015

"Zoloft is WONDERFUL. I have been on every other drug in the antideppresant class in ver 25 years. Paxil as fairly good for anxiety but as a male I was unable to even pretend to orgasm. As long as I stay at 50 mg with 150 mg wellbutrin I am able to orgasm. At 100 mg sexual sde effects kick in but not to the extent of Paxil. IT TAKES TIME TO WORK. I would say 6 weeks to 2 months for full effect but then nirvana."

Happy man at last December 5, 2015

"Hi I am 43 suffering from extreme social phobia that prevent me from all kinds of activities and work too...most symptoms are blushing, shaky voice, sweating, and general depressive feeling. Doctor started me today my first treatment ever of 25mg zoloft first week than 50mg up to a 100mg in 1 month.i just took my first pills and crossed my fingers..I just like to thank you all that made me feel so much better knowing I am not alone out there."

chamchoum (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2015

"I've been on Zoloft 50 mg once a day for social anxiety disorder/generalized anxiety disorder and it has worked great. After trying several other medications, I'm happy that I've found the one for me. It took about two weeks for the effects to become noticeable, and fortunately I have not had any negative side effects. I've noticed quite a few changes thanks to Zoloft. For example, I used to hate making phone calls for work and would always feel serious anxiety, now I can do it with no problem. I also find it easier to speak in front of people, and in general my thoughts seem more organized and calmer. I would recommend Zoloft to someone trying an SSRI for the first time, as it is the only one that hasn't caused me a negative reaction."

frances123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2015

"I don't have enough experience to give a proper rating but I have suffered with social anxiety disorder my whole life and was put on these pills 2 years ago, I only took them for 2 months though. They made me have trouble sleeping and they messed up my libido which for me was the worst part but about 4-6 weeks in, I was at college and some people sat at my desk in the common room (this is something that would usually cause a panic attack) and I didn't even care, absolutely no anxiety but when I stopped taking them it came back so now I'm gonna see if doc will put me back on them"

djmotion November 22, 2015

"This medicine does help with inhibitions when talking to people. But I find that I'm not fully satisfied with this medicine. I still have bad anticipatory anxiety to social situations. To the point where I can't relax before a social event."

Shanie244 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 14, 2015

"This medicine was definitely not for me. The first two nights I got horrible migraines, and I had more trouble falling and staying asleep. Then I had difficulty urinating (I know it isn't a listed side effect, but once I got off it the problem stopped) I wouldn't be able to use the bathroom even when I had to go for ten to twelve hours, it was very strange. Will not take again."

kebbway (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

"I've been on Zoloft for a week now. The first 5 days the side effects were horrible. Dizziness, stomach problems, sweating, weak muscles. Then on the sixth day, I remember the change. All day at school I was still experiencing the side effects and then I was in the car with my mom and I just felt a lot happier. From then on, I've felt SO HAPPY! When I talk to people, my mind is clearer and it's easier to socialize! I've been socially anxious my whole life, I LOVE ZOLOFT SO MUCH OMG THIS IS GONNA CHANGE MY LIFE! It's also boosting my confidence. :))))))"

Shanice99 October 31, 2015

"I've struggled with social anxiety for almost 20 years and have tried Paxil, Celexa, counseling and therapy, with little to no results. I've been on Zoloft for over 2 months now and it's changed my life!! It's a miracle drug-- I've been lucky to have no side effects. If only I would've had this 20 years ago. I usually blush easily and had a hard time talking to people but not with this! I feel like I can finally be myself."

333Anonymous333 October 3, 2015

"The best anti depressant I have tried. Have also used citalopram, fluoxetine and mirtazapine but this is the best! Least side affects, feeling happy and normal again and still have energy! Love it."

Cazcatson (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 24, 2015

"I've been on an effective dose (100mg or higher) for over half a year and I haven't seen any effects. My doctor first had me on lexapro, which made me nauseous, so we decided to switch to zoloft. When I first started zoloft, it gave me headaches for the first week or so, but aside from that I experienced no negative side effects. Unfortunately, I haven't experienced any positive effects either. I'm on zoloft for social anxiety and mild to moderate depression. The only other effect I've noticed is more vivid dreams. So while I'm glad that zoloft had very minimal side-effects (headaches), this just didn't work for me. I was on 100mg a day for about two months, then 150, and finally 200. I saw no change/improvement in anxiety or depression."

Alex8655 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2015

"After trying a few SSRIs that didn't work (Paxil, Lexapro) and a very bad stint with Remeron (ended up collapsing one night on my 3rd week, all the while my sleep was getting worse). Withdrawals from Remeron put me in a black hole. I nearly gave up. Started Zoloft and Ativan 1mg for sleep. Headaches, dizziness, and exhaustion for several weeks (could also be the underlying depression) but I finally got stable enough to leave my parents house and get my life together. Medication didn't really help my sleep (no antidepressant has) but it did help my social and general anxiety. Marked somnolence and felt very apathetic on it. No lows, but no highs. Helped GAD/SAD but not depression. I'm sensitive to meds and I tolerated this one well."

Brett84 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 18, 2015

"Zoloft has helped with my anxiety and pms. Just think twice about going on something like this unless you really need it. I tried going off of it once and was absolutely nauseous for 8 months straight, I could barely eat. I thought it would get better but ultimately I had to go back on zoloft then my symptoms subsided. So just a wholistic route before started on these types of medication."

Betsk25 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 2, 2015

"About 2 years ago I started experiencing the worst panic attacks of my life. I thought I was having a pulmonary embolism & went to the emergency room twice. After blood work, ECGs, heart monitors and chest X-rays I finally accepted I was suffering from anxiety. I went to see my Dr & I've been on Zoloft 50mg for approximately 10 months. The first 3 months on zoloft honestly were the worst months of my life. My anxiety was 10 times worst, I was experiencing horrible insomnia, dry mouth and a permanent yawn. The side effects have subsided and I'm so thankful to be anxiety free even though it took almost 4 months. I would definitely recommend Zoloft and tell everyone to just stick out the first few months! Good luck! You are not alone :)"

Chellll24 July 28, 2015

"Honestly, I feel guilty for feeling great... But I've been taking Zoloft for 6 months now and I feel totally different. I was diagnosed with GAD, generalized anxiety disorder. I had serious issues with social anxiety, irritation, nervousness, constant worrying, and seldom depression. After taking the medicine for about 3 months I felt like a I've never felt before. I started to worry alot less, I started to avoid confrontation, and also was able to talk to people without feeling intense anxiety. This medicine really works well. The only negative side effects I've experienced was nausea in the first month and consistent fatigue. Working out and mid day naps have subsided the fatigue. My suggestion would be to take your dose in the evening."

Ydunvme July 17, 2015

"My 15 year old daughter was practically a recluse. She is bipolar and taking seroquel, lamictal and intuniv but she was depressed and had such social anxiety that she couldn't even leave her room. After 3 weeks she is the daughter I knew to be . She still has issues but going outside of the house is not one of them. I am so happy with this medication . She started at 25 and is now at 50mg. What a godsend ."

Cathy1023 July 12, 2015

"I have struggled with depression since I was a teenager and always assumed it would go away on its own. After someone close to me passed, I hit rock bottom. I was depressed, anxious, couldn't sleep, etc. Talked to my doctor and he prescribed this for my depression and anxiety. Besides making me apathetic I have been surprisingly happy. This pill is amazing, I have not been this genuinely happy in a long time."

Sydney91 July 12, 2015

"I am 14 y/o, female and currently take 200mg of Zoloft. The first 3 months I was on Zoloft I felt so free, happy, able to approach people with ease and engage socially. (might have been placebo) This feeling wore off, and even when I tried going up on my dosage multiple times, it didn't change anything. Zoloft has given me so many health problems. As told by a doctor, Zoloft caused a decrease in my iron level, which gave me Anemia, which I have never had before. I struggled with weight loss on this medicine, which is hard since I already struggle with trying to gain weight. I'm still on this medicine, and this is my 5th month taking it, but I may have to go off on it for medical reasons, and I feel it doesn't do my anxiety any justice."

arynnaomi June 12, 2015

"I've struggled with anxiety & depression my entire life, & I was wary of starting sertraline(at age 20) but 50mg a day has changed me for the better. I'm happier, less anxious overall, I got a job, I can do all the things my anxiety wouldn't allow, like answering the phone, going shopping alone, making small talk with people. There have been some unpleasant side effects, alcohol puts me right to sleep now. I have no appetite (lost about 15lbs) and my sex drive is noticeably diminished. Whatever you do, do not stop cold turkey. 50mg is a very small dose but the withdrawals are hell. I ran out and couldn't get a refill for a week, I was cold sweating through my clothes 24/7, shaky, suicidal, dizzy, and my anxiety was worse than before"

Aliyah3 June 10, 2015

"I've recently started taking Zoloft 25mg for my anxiety and panic attacks. I've suffered from anxiety since 10 grade in high school and I am now 21. I've tried many other anxiety meds and they made it worse. I found Ativan helped me the most however my doctor doesn't want me to have it because it is addictive and she wants me on something every day. So, I've been on Zoloft for 4 days now. I know it takes 2-4 weeks or more for me to be able to feel the full effects. I am experiencing nausea, stomach pain, diarrhea, hot flashes, and being kind of out of it. I know these side effects will eventually go away but my worry is how long? I already suffer from other stomach/digestion issues and it makes it hard."

Wildflower1993 (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2015

"I have been prescribed Zoloft (50mg daily) but have not started taking it yet. I am 62 years old and have been on various medications for depression and anxiety over the years starting with Prozac which I took on and off during my 40's. I have read many of the comments here and they are helpful but I would like to know how these meds affect older people like me. When I was in my 50's I tried Prozac again and it did not affect me the same.. could not take it. I am afraid to take anything. It seems that they all make me sleepy and tired. So, if anyone reads this that is in their late 50's and over, I would like to know how the Zoloft works for you. Thank you."

marthamydear (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2015