User Reviews for Zoloft

Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft Review Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Social Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Social Anxiety Disorder

"Honestly, I feel guilty for feeling great... But I've been taking Zoloft for 6 months now and I feel totally different. I was diagnosed with GAD, generalized anxiety disorder. I had serious issues with social anxiety, irritation, nervousness, constant worrying, and seldom depression. After taking the medicine for about 3 months I felt like a I've never felt before. I started to worry alot less, I started to avoid confrontation, and also was able to talk to people without feeling intense anxiety. This medicine really works well. The only negative side effects I've experienced was nausea in the first month and consistent fatigue. Working out and mid day naps have subsided the fatigue. My suggestion would be to take your dose in the evening."

Ydunvme July 17, 2015

"My 15 year old daughter was practically a recluse. She is bipolar and taking seroquel, lamictal and intuniv but she was depressed and had such social anxiety that she couldn't even leave her room. After 3 weeks she is the daughter I knew to be . She still has issues but going outside of the house is not one of them. I am so happy with this medication . She started at 25 and is now at 50mg. What a godsend ."

Cathy1023 July 12, 2015

"I have struggled with depression since I was a teenager and always assumed it would go away on its own. After someone close to me passed, I hit rock bottom. I was depressed, anxious, couldn't sleep, etc. Talked to my doctor and he prescribed this for my depression and anxiety. Besides making me apathetic I have been surprisingly happy. This pill is amazing, I have not been this genuinely happy in a long time."

Sydney91 July 12, 2015

"I am 14 y/o, female and currently take 200mg of Zoloft. The first 3 months I was on Zoloft I felt so free, happy, able to approach people with ease and engage socially. (might have been placebo) This feeling wore off, and even when I tried going up on my dosage multiple times, it didn't change anything. Zoloft has given me so many health problems. As told by a doctor, Zoloft caused a decrease in my iron level, which gave me Anemia, which I have never had before. I struggled with weight loss on this medicine, which is hard since I already struggle with trying to gain weight. I'm still on this medicine, and this is my 5th month taking it, but I may have to go off on it for medical reasons, and I feel it doesn't do my anxiety any justice."

arynnaomi June 12, 2015

"I've struggled with anxiety & depression my entire life, & I was wary of starting sertraline(at age 20) but 50mg a day has changed me for the better. I'm happier, less anxious overall, I got a job, I can do all the things my anxiety wouldn't allow, like answering the phone, going shopping alone, making small talk with people. There have been some unpleasant side effects, alcohol puts me right to sleep now. I have no appetite (lost about 15lbs) and my sex drive is noticeably diminished. Whatever you do, do not stop cold turkey. 50mg is a very small dose but the withdrawals are hell. I ran out and couldn't get a refill for a week, I was cold sweating through my clothes 24/7, shaky, suicidal, dizzy, and my anxiety was worse than before"

Aliyah3 June 10, 2015

"I've recently started taking Zoloft 25mg for my anxiety and panic attacks. I've suffered from anxiety since 10 grade in high school and I am now 21. I've tried many other anxiety meds and they made it worse. I found Ativan helped me the most however my doctor doesn't want me to have it because it is addictive and she wants me on something every day. So, I've been on Zoloft for 4 days now. I know it takes 2-4 weeks or more for me to be able to feel the full effects. I am experiencing nausea, stomach pain, diarrhea, hot flashes, and being kind of out of it. I know these side effects will eventually go away but my worry is how long? I already suffer from other stomach/digestion issues and it makes it hard."

Wildflower1993 (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2015

"I have been prescribed Zoloft (50mg daily) but have not started taking it yet. I am 62 years old and have been on various medications for depression and anxiety over the years starting with Prozac which I took on and off during my 40's. I have read many of the comments here and they are helpful but I would like to know how these meds affect older people like me. When I was in my 50's I tried Prozac again and it did not affect me the same.. could not take it. I am afraid to take anything. It seems that they all make me sleepy and tired. So, if anyone reads this that is in their late 50's and over, I would like to know how the Zoloft works for you. Thank you."

marthamydear (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2015

"Zoloft is wonderful, this antidepressant has made me feel so lucid for the past 9 months. It's helped me fight social anxiety, and anxious depressions after I had a neurotic breakdown, and had to be admitted to a hospital. This medicine has made things so clear for me, I absolutely love my life now! Recently I had not been taking it for about 6 days, DO NOT DO. It completely drained me.. but I continued taking it and the side affects dispersed completely after 3 days of taking 150 mg again. Zoloft has completely leveled out my S.a.d., g.a.d, and major depression. No, it did not work immediately, but it totally works in the long run and waiting for it to take affect. Zoloft you've truly helped me become lucid in my consciousness :)."

Nick <3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 5, 2015

"Been taking 40mg of citalopram for 10 years, I felt I was not getting the benefit of them anymore, so Doc has switched me to 50mg zoloft. Been on them for 1 week, anxiety is through the roof, crying for no reason, I am gonna stick with it and hope it kicks in soon"

Gina74 May 4, 2015

"I am a 45 year old female and have had mild to moderate anxiety for most of my adult life. I lived with it for years and tried different medications on and off when my level of anxiety increased. I also tried yoga, meditation, exercise and counselling. A year ago, a new doctor prescribed 100mg Zoloft 1x/day. It took about a month for me to feel a difference, but Zoloft has given me the most "normal" feeling of any drug I ever tried. I do not have sexual side effects, as I did with other antidepressants nor do I feel numb or sleepy throughout the day. I have gained some weight (15 pounds) over the past year, but I can't really attribute it just to Zoloft."

Liz555 April 23, 2015

"Changed my life. Night and day difference. Only side effect... Sleepiness"

Clay D March 24, 2015

"Headaches and a little nausea at the start, now 4 months in, I don't know how I coped before. The anxious "bad butterflies" that I thought were normal, have gone away. Obsessive over thinking and cringing after I got home because what I may have said, has gone away. Feeling almost hyper active and intense when in a group situation, almost gone. Road rage....work in progress! Hahaha. Sex drive has diminished but this might be a good thing as was obsessive about it before. Less pressure. Wish I had started a lot earlier. Thought my anxiety was part of my personality, but the reality is, without it, I'm back to me again."

Sare (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2015

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"The first day I took 25mg and randomly about 3 hours later I was just smiling uncontrollably along with a calm feeling in my head. The next few weeks were hell with the side effects but it was worth the wait. Two months later and I really understand how this drug works on me. It sort of keeps my mood at a "flatline" level where the peak of my sadness is lower but my happiness seemed to have less of a "peak" as well. My libido was absolutely DESTROYED. I seem to have an apathetic sense about life now. Everything seems bland. My appetite was killed as well and I keep losing weight and I am underweight as it is. I am going back from 50 mg to 25 mg. overall I am happier on Zoloft but there are horrible side effects too."

Nick with GAD (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2015

"I took sertraline twice. Before it helped a lot, been off it for a year or so and I need to get back on it but I'm scared to take the first pill."

Heimer March 9, 2015

"From bad to good. Wk1, great. Obviously placebo. Wk2 was a low week. SO tired all day long. I struggled to concentrate. Work performance was affected. I learned that alcohol brings you right down. DON'T DO IT! Some anxiety Wk3 Another low week. I felt zombified. Tired all day. I could barely stay awake in meetings. I couldn't pay attention for more than a minute. Noticed my hands are shaking. Some anxiety. Wk4 Better but still tired. Small up but still zombified & shaking hands Wk5 Less tired but still shaky. Mood is lifting. Strange confidence. Loving it! Wk6 Confidence & mood grows. Little anxious Wk7 Definitely better. Small wobble due to alcohol. Wk8 Feeling great. There is hope! Avoid too much alcohol & coffee. 2 or 3 per day is ok."

Matters (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2015

"No terrible side effects a side from severe headaches when I miss a dose. Completely regulated my anxiety and mood."

Januaru February 24, 2015

"Absolutely amazing. I highly recommend it. I never used to talk to anyone and as soon as I started Zoloft I made so many new friends and I actually talk to people! Instead of sitting in my room being depressed and having anxiety attacks. It really works."

Tttttttt February 23, 2015

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Zoloft has helped me to be more social and therefore make more friends. It also makes me feel less awkward and just overall more happy."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 1, 2015

"Zoloft got rid of my anxiety (I have general anxiety) at 50 mg. At 75 Mg, my tics started improving greatly (lessening). Unfortunately though, Zoloft made me more depressed, in an apathetic way. I suspect it's the decrease in dopamine due to raising my serotonin. Dr is adding Wellbutrin. Maybe I'll get my sex drive back too (which Zoloft also squashed). Overall, for Anxiety, it works very well for me."

LoveSupps January 21, 2015

"I have been struggling with social anxiety disorder and a low-level functioning depression for most of my life. Four years went by with no medication, and during this time I was very paranoid and lost all of my friends. It wasn't until I met my boyfriend that I saw I couldn't truly function this way. I finally admitted to myself that I might need to be on medication. It's been about two months and I feel awesome. I am taking 50mg everyday, and was able to go on a Christmas vacation where my boyfriend and I met each other's families. This would never have been doable before. I am thoroughly satisfied, and am so happy with my decision. I still have leftover anxiety symptoms but I am working on that in therapy."

krquire11 January 5, 2015

"Asking my doctor about Zoloft was one of the best decisions for me. I have suffered from anxiety as long as I can remember. I feel like a new person now. I didn't even fully realize how bad it was until taking Zoloft. I didn't want to take meds, I thought my anxiety was just part of who I was and something I would have to deal with forever. Zoloft has changed my life."

waterfirewind12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2014

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was born 1982 and throughout my adult life I have had problems with anxiety. I only really knew the true extent of how bad I was until I started taking 50mg of sertraline a couple of weeks ago. I went through my life self medicating whether it was alcohol or going for 8 mile runs just so I could relax. I realize now I heard the word "paranoid" pretty often which I now realize is very close to being anxious for obvious reasons. What strikes me about some of these reviews is many say its taken weeks to kick in. I suppose everyone is different but I felt my life change after 1 hour after taking a tablet. I now have an aura of calmness in my life. I feel like I'm at peace and living within the moment for the first time in years."

qwerty123456 December 5, 2014

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Did NOT want to take meds, but I am so glad I finally hit rock bottom and decided Zoloft was an option worth considering. Seriously, it has completely changed my life. As long as you have a reputable therapist/doctor giving you the meds, there should be no major issues. Had some problems with sleep at first, but I started taking melatonin at night and now it's all good."

Anon321 November 26, 2014

"Feel so good when it finally start working at day #15. Feel calm in public for the first time in my life. Only cons is not able to orgasm and increased sweating."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2014

"Social anxiety since child (born in 1982) 2005-2008 - Sertraline 100-200 mg/day (rating 6,5/10) 2009 - Sertraline 100mg/day, Mirtazapine 45mg/day, Clonazepam 10mg/day (rating 6,5/10) 2010 - Clomipramine (rating 1/10) made me terribly anxious 2011 - Bupropion + Mirtazapine (rating 6/10) anxious and angry, but depression was gone 2012-2013 Parnate (IMAO) (rating 5/10) food restrictions, insonia, anxious all the time and tolerance to Diazepam 2014 - Escitalopram 40 mg + Mirtazapine 45 mg (rating 5,5/10) less anxious but terribly depressed I'll talk to my doc and go back to sertraline. Not exccelent, but I have to give another chance"

ED1982 October 11, 2014