User Reviews for Zoloft

Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Social Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Social Anxiety Disorder

Review by sammy87 (taken for less than 1 month):

Diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder I was very hesitant at the start to try medications and thought I'll battle through with the help of therapy. 3 months later I gave in for medication. Couldn't get through a day without my anxiety being an obstacle. Was prescribed Zoloft for the first time at 25mg. For the first week things were fine just the usual upset stomach and dry mouth nothing I couldn't handle but surprisingly it made me depressed (never was) but anxiety DID settle a little (hence 5/10). Then was pushed up to 50mg... the upset stomach stopped the dry mouth decreased but restlessness and insomnia kicked in including the zombie feeling. This went on for over 2 weeks but had to stop, it was affecting my work. Withdrawal symptoms, depression.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 21, 2014 11:02 PM

Review by Lorae:

I have problem with anxiety and depression. I've been using Zoloft for about one year and it is so much better. No depression, no bad mood, anxiety is not so high, perfect. I tried few times to stop, but I always fall in depression after that.

March 27, 2014 3:53 PM

Review by smileydie:

Ive been taking it for over 5 years and it works for the most part.

March 16, 2014 5:15 PM

Review by Eswes18 (taken for less than 1 month):

I have suffered with generalized anxiety disorder and social anxiety disorder since I can remember. I got prescribed these at 50mg 3 weeks ago. The first few days I got a horrible cold nausea feeling in the pit of my stomach, I had no appetite and I noticed straightaway that it took me longer to orgasm. 3 months into them, I still feel anxious, but for the first time since I can remember I was able to present to a group without shaking, losing my voice and my heart beating rapidly. It almost feels like a small weight has been lifted which gives you that control back over my thoughts. I was able to say 'put your best into it. You will be fine' and I believed it. This is only a small step to overcoming my anxiety but this medication has helped me a lot.

March 6, 2014 9:39 AM

Review by angel239023 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I was on Zoloft for about 7 years. Worked great at first, but eventually had to come off it due to horrible side effects. If I missed a dose, I would have debilitating brain zaps. Then, I started the brain zaps randomly through the day regardless of missing a dose or not. This medicine killed my libido.

January 27, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by Larkspur94 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

When I first started taking it I had a lot of side effects, like nausea, sleepiness, insomnia, muscle twitching, decreased sexual interest, headache, nightmares, need to move legs and others I can't remember but I was desperate to get rid of the anxiety so persisted. Most of the side effects went away after several days. I still have the leg movement and insomnia and but it's manageable. It took about 5 1/2 weeks before I noticed any effect by when I feel happier, like I can't even think in a depressed way, and I can talk to people online with ease. Still panic about the outside with strangers everywhere and conversing one on one is still hard. Nut now after 6 weeks my doctor has put me up from 50mg to 100mg so I'll see how that goes.

December 18, 2013 3:51 PM

Review by IndieVisible (taken for 1 to 6 months):

The first time I tried Zoloft I hated it, made me feel very nauseous. My doctor wanted me to start on 50mg for 5 days and then go to 100mg, I never made it to day 3 on 50mg. SO I decided to try half of a half approximately 25mg and that worked fine! After 5 days I went to 50, then 5 more days 100, no problems! What I noticed that at the end of the first week was I was more at ease. It not only helped my social anxiety but also reduced my general anxiety too stretching out my Xanax for when I really needed it the most. Worth noting I also take Wellbutrin with the Zoloft and while it's not perfect, I am very happy and pleased with this combination.

December 5, 2013 3:22 AM

Review by rob1239:

Been on 50mg for 2 days now (started for a week on 25mg) and now that I take the higher dose my mood is a bit better but my social anxiety it loads better, the feeling of making people laugh is amazing when you are not afraid to speak, although maybe not drink on this? I had 3 drinks and became so upset and depressed.

November 19, 2013 8:15 AM

Review by sashaw:

I am not the same person when I'm off this medication, the difference is nearly night and day. I'm so much happier, I have heaps more confidence, and all in all my life just works better when I'm on it. I only came off it as a trial but I went back on after a month; I don't like the way I am without it I'm irritable, and cry easily and obsess about everything! That has eased up so much and I am generally much happier and more able to get on with my life :)

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 27, 2013 10:51 PM

Review by ahgei (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm 20, and on my fifth day on sertraline, and I'm already feeling great! I have generalized anxiety and social anxiety, which had caused me to feel extremely nervous even around close friends and family. I hardly spoke in groups, and people thought that I was just being quiet because I was a quiet person, when really, I was just afraid that my voice would shake and make me look stupid. My first two days on sertraline were a bit tough. I had a presentation which caused me a lot of anxiety, even more than usual (maybe because of the new chemicals in my body). But somehow, my presentation was very successful, and after it was over, I felt so accomplished. Since then I am noticing some fantastic changes. I'm becoming optimistic about my life.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 26, 2013 1:00 PM

Review by MMH0716 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

31 year old Female. I was on Zoloft for 4-5 years in college and then tapered off. After being off it for 5 years or so, my daily anxiety gradually started creeping back into my life until I reached a point last year where I would have horrible panic attacks everyday. I've been on 75 MG a day for the past 7 months and I feel better than I have in years! It took a while to find the correct dosage for me, but once I have it's been amazing. Along with the Zoloft I also take 15 MG Buspar daily and Lorazepam as needed.

August 29, 2013 9:55 PM

Review by babysmith (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 15. I have been on Zoloft (25 mg) for over a month now. I was prescribed through my gastroenterologist for social anxiety and generalized anxiety which was causing ongoing digestive trouble. I have suffered through severe anxiety disorders and depression for most of my life. Since the first pill, I have cried only once. My overwhelming loneliness and hopelessness has gone away also. I haven't had any side effects that I've noticed. The only downside to this medicine is that it hasn't worked well for me in social situations when I am nervous. It does not prevent me from shaking, turning red, tensing up, etc. It might be necessary for me to move up to 50 mg, but that isn't urgent as of right now. I would recommend.

August 29, 2013 1:28 AM

Review by George101:

Have struggled all my life with anxiety, worked out 7 days a week to try and control it. Panic attacks- just horrible- no lifts, no planes, no tunnels. Tried CBT, finally I thought I don't want to live this way anymore. Pill phobic, but finally I tried it, a quarter of a tablet for two weeks, then half again, for two weeks. What can I say? It had changed my life completely. I love it. I feel normal! No side effects. It took three months but felt better within weeks. All of you out there undecided, unsure, afraid of what you've read- please do yourself a favour and try it- be positive about it, open and give it a go- you won't regret it. I can fly, drive, amazing.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2013 3:58 AM

Review by Robert12:

I've been on Zoloft for 3 months now and I've got to say its been pretty good. I am on 50mg a day and sometimes I skip because I'm not so worried anymore. Really has helped out a lot. I'm making friends.

August 20, 2013 3:08 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

It has been quite a change for the better. I've been suffering from panic attacks and really bad anxiety since 16, now 21 and finally broke down, had enough, went to the doc and he put me on sertraline. Been on it for almost 3 months and it has made a huge difference. I feel happier around my coworkers and around people. I haven't felt weird and uncomfortable or had any bad panic attacks. I'm on 25mg and feel in control of my life. I'm finally feeling normal thanks to this medicine so far. I'll stick with this dose for awhile and see how it goes. Side effects very little like shaky when I wake up. But I love it so far.

August 12, 2013 11:28 PM

Review by claireabelle (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 yrs ago after years of suffering and take Lamictal and Seroquel but when Zoloft was added I haven't looked back. It has saved my marriage I had uncontrollable jealousy negative and suicidal thoughts social anxiety and panic attacks. Now I stand at the school yard socialize and have started going out with my husband again. Have put some weight on but compared to how I felt it is worth it.

July 15, 2013 7:04 PM

Review by ky man (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I take 50 mg of Zoloft and 3 x 2mg Xanax a day and 1 Adderall XR 30mg. I was so depressed at one time before I got on these medicines.

May 10, 2013 4:56 PM

Review by karmann79:

I have been suffering from anxiety for at least 15 years on and off due to being in a high pressure corporate role, coming to terms with my sexuality and 4 hectic years due to several life changes both personally and professionally. I decided 2 years ago enough was enough and tried Effexor for 12 months for my anxiety, it worked but I was in a haze all the time and it was horrendous to get off that stuff. I then had to go onto Lexapro which was a nightmare to get on and while it did work well and my anxiety stopped I still felt medicated. I then tapered off Lexapro, for 5 months unmedicated and was feeling okay then my anxiety came back worse. I am now on day 3 of Zoloft and I feel better with no bad side effects. Fingers crossed.

March 12, 2013 9:54 PM

Review by Justtoostubborn:

I have suffered from obsessive compulsive disorder and generalized anxiety for years. Anxiety, depression and bipolar run in my family and for some reason I have been hesitant to get on medication. I have a very stressful job and am currently in graduate school...and finally decided enough is enough. I have been on Zoloft for 2 days and I can already tell a difference. The tightness in my chest is gone from chronic stress and I feel happier. I am kicking myself for not getting on this medication earlier.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 25, 2013 10:03 PM

Review by CMT01:

I started this two months ago to help with my light depression and anxiety problems as a long-term replacement for Xanax. So far I haven't had to use my Xanax in almost a month. I didn't think this would do much but I was wrong. The first two-three weeks I had some mild nausea and tiredness but that went away pretty quickly.

October 29, 2012 6:23 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I started taking Zoloft about three weeks ago. I have noticed various symptoms, I grind my teeth quite a bit which brings on headaches, I yawn constantly and I am always tired (even if I have eight hours sleep). I have not experienced any weight gain as yet, or any other symptoms associated with this medicine. I used to have panic attacks every second day, I have not had one since I started taking Zoloft which is a great outcome. I did get a bit panicky in a social situation two days ago, though was able to control my emotions so I didn't have a panic attack. So far so good.

October 21, 2012 9:47 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have always had really bad anxiety. I started taking Zoloft when my daugther was 2 and I wish I had started it sooner. It helped a lot with my anxiety. I'm no longer mean to people and my rage is gone. It really saved my life. What I don't like is it makes me too relaxed. I just want to sleep all day and its really hard for me to lose weight. I do exercise everyday also to help with the anxiety.

October 7, 2012 8:17 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on Zoloft for only a week and cannot believe how immediate the positive effects are. I had been taking Effexor for two years for low grade social anxiety. Whilst it was highly effective for the anxiety, I went from 120lbs to 150lbs in a very short time (very distressing as I am only 5'2'') and I completely withdrew socially. I also felt completely unhinged and even suicidal if I accidentally skipped a day. A week ago I switched to Zoloft (with only a day's gap in between my cessation of Effexor). Within an hour of taking it I felt better. I have felt like my old self again--exercising daily, dropping weight each day, feeling social--even a little sexy (!) and laughing more. Thank goodness I switched medicines.

August 23, 2012 7:47 AM

Review by Saved my life (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I felt the change after the first dose and now I can live again. I was always so scared to even leave the house, I was always so jealous of my wife thinking she would cheat or that someone was talking about me, always afraid what people thought. I look back now and think who was that person? Now with all kinds of energy my sex life is so much better, I am losing weight, I was an emotional eater. That's gone. I am a new man, I am a better person. Zoloft saved my life my marriage. I am so focused now I have accomplished more in 6 months than in 6 yrs. Not really any side effects that are bad other than a little tremble once in awhile and I cant sleep sometime.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2012 11:57 AM

Review by doingwell (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I suffered with social anxiety for many years. My neck would get red blotches when I had to be the center of attention. Zoloft along with alprozolam has helped me tremendously! I always thought I had to live with this and there wasn't a cure. After researching the internet, I found out what I had. My husband also takes Zoloft to control his depression, withdrawal, anger and road rage and it helps him sleep really good. One drawback is that it made us both gain weight, but that has leveled off. I hope my post helps someone else out there.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 27, 2012 3:21 PM