User Reviews for Primidone

Also known as: Mysoline

Learn more about Primidone.

Seizures 8 reviews 40 medications

9.4
Benign Essential Tremor 11 reviews 3 medications

6.2
Summary of Primidone reviews 19 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Primidone

Review by the rev (taken for less than 1 month):

For Benign Essential Tremor: I have had Essential Tremor for several years. I have been taking propranolol and clonazepam for last several years but have seen a return of tremor lately. My doctor added primidone in last month. I have been having great difficulty adjusting to medicines though. I feel like I'm spinning most of time, seems to cause increase in shakiness as medicine begins to wear off (at least that's my opinion), and has caused an inability to ejaculate. I am currently working on increasing my dosage amounts. I started at 12.5mg with intended dose of 50mg nightly as goal.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 10, 2014 10:36 AM

Review by Oregon John:

For Benign Essential Tremor: I have been working up from a starter dose (12.5 mg) of Primidone to 750 mg over the last six months. Also take a beta blocker (for my heart). My essential tremor Has reduced by 70%. Very manageable now.

November 30, 2013 12:36 AM

Review by hand tremors (taken for 10 years or more):

For Benign Essential Tremor: I have been on primidone for 10 years, I'm 34. I take 250mg twice a day. No longer works. If I increase the dose anymore I'll be a zombie. About to start Gabapentin, time will tell.

November 27, 2013 2:51 PM

Review by Vol1:

Mysoline (primidone) for Seizures: I became ill in 1982 at age 33 with encephalitis, brain damage on temporal lobe, and grand mal seizures. The next year I was also diagnosed with Lupus in addition to epilepsy. It took 5 years and NIH treatment of 250 mg of Mysoline/ 3 times a day to control my seizures. It has been controlling my seizures and I am now 65. AARP denied my brand name Mysoline for seizures even though I was going to pay high co-pays. We pay our own insurance so this is a real problem. The worst is fighting AARP to pay their part when I know Mysoline works for 27 years. How can a person at a desk just suggest other medicines to take when your doctor and you state that this is the best one for you.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 3, 2013 10:11 AM

For Benign Essential Tremor: I was diagnosed with Benign Essential Tremor, a month ago...my Dr started me out on 12.5 mg of Primidone. I have increased my dosage every 3/4 days by 12.5 mg. I'm at 112.5mg and the tremors are still there. I also take a beta blocker as well. The side effects are flu like for me the day after I up my dosage. Then I have a "good day " & then the tremors start all over again. I cannot climax as a horrible side effect so I'm frustrated in more ways than one.

August 27, 2012 11:55 PM

For Benign Essential Tremor: Primidone is very effective. I was on Inderal LA 120mg - take 2 once a day. Then it stopped working. They added Primidone 50mg, take 2 three times daily. The combination works best. My tremors are very difficult to deal with. They got so bad as to interfere with normal everyday things.

March 22, 2012 2:33 PM

Review by BillyJr:

For Benign Essential Tremor: Takes months to get used to. Good side effects for me include improved sleep and increased exercise tolerance. Bad (good?) side effect for me is delayed ejaculation.

February 4, 2012 11:23 AM

Review by A. Non:

Mysoline (primidone) for Seizures: I was prescribed this medicine back in the late 80's for seizure control. I recently stopped using this in 2010. It controlled my seizures well, but I did not realize the side effects of it. Side effects were irritability, anger, increased depression and behavior. Because I literally grew UP with this medicine, I can now see these issues after changing the medicine. My brain was built to use it during puberty/young adult. This does control seizures, and actually suppressed anxiety by slowing down all brain functions. Be aware that epilepsy is cor-morbid with depression quite often and this medicine may enhance/increase depression symptoms.

December 23, 2010 8:19 AM

Review by NW:

For Benign Essential Tremor: I have epilepsy and had it controlled for several years with other medications. Recently I was diagnosed with Essential Tremor and the doctor prescribed Primidone. On the second day of use I had a seizure, as I continued usage and increased dosage as directed I started losing muscle control in my legs, I had periods where I thought I was losing my mind. I was unable to speak clearly as it felt like my tongue was swollen, but it was not. It got to the point where I could not stand up in the shower without leaning against the walls. My wife said get off that medicine! Could not reach my doctor so I decreased dosage to zero. I take a lot of different medications for number of different medical problems, I think my brain had had it.

December 14, 2009 11:41 AM

For Benign Essential Tremor: I was diagnosed with ET 6 weeks ago. I was prescribed Primidone. To date, I still am having serious side effects. My tremors are continual, even to the point where my left arm feels "dead". Generally I feel drained, dizzy, and sick to my stomach. My voice is halting, with shaky patterns, and is more affected when I am tired. I find it very difficult to take this medicine and will be calling my Doctor to discuss any other options.

December 9, 2009 7:33 AM

Review by kelp88:

For Benign Essential Tremor: I've had essential tremor for most of my life. It has got worse in the last 5 years, so I've taken 7 to 8 different drugs (at different times) to see how well they worked. Propanolol worked best, but unfortunately brought out my old asthma that I hadn't had since childhood. Primidone was the only other that seemed to work for me, but was not a cure all. The problem I had with Primidone was the bad effects it gave you, but I persevered and it went away in 3 to 4 days and has not come back again. The bottle says to take three 50 mg pills a day. This is a lower dosage. But, I just take one 50 mg pill once a day and have on occasion upped it to two when I want to feel more confident in public without embarrassing myself with hand tremors.

November 8, 2009 11:38 AM

For Seizures: I have been using this medication for approximately 35 years. I have had two healthy children during this time. I am now in my 50's and find that I am experiencing tiredness, fatigue, and incoordination to the extent that I stumble or run into people or things easier than before. Whether this medication is a cause to my clumsiness or not, I am not sure. It has helped to control my seizures since my last one in 1975.

October 24, 2009 1:54 PM

Review by hhrt_7u:

Mysoline (primidone) for Seizures: Great!

August 26, 2009 3:15 AM

Review by irishdeb1:

Mysoline (primidone) for Seizures: I have been taking this medication for 30 years, and have never had a side effect or seizure. Works very well for me. No complaints.

August 12, 2009 2:02 AM

Mysoline (primidone) for Benign Essential Tremor: I found Mysoline effective for my essential tremor, but the side effects of tiredness, lack of energy, plus reduced sexual function (difficulty in ejaculating) is quite frustrating.

July 13, 2009 8:56 PM

Review by Ken V:

For Benign Essential Tremor: I started using this in combination with propranolol for my tremor. I take 80 mg of the propranolol in the morning and 50mg of Primidone before bed. I had been taking the propranolol for 6-7 years already and it cuts the intensity of my tremors by 50-70%. By adding Primidone as a combination therapy I would say that it's 80-95% reduced. If you have a hereditary tremor like this you should ask your doctor about these medicines. Good Luck!

February 3, 2009 4:09 PM

Mysoline (primidone) for Seizures: Great Seizure control. Low side effects after first 2 weeks.

January 8, 2009 1:13 AM

Review by eganan:

For Seizures: I have been using primidone for over 20 years for my epilepsy. I have not suffered any side effects. I also give the medication a thumbs up.

October 20, 2008 7:45 PM

Review by Elaine Tafelski:

Mysoline (primidone) for : My doctor first prescribed Mysoline for me at least 12 years ago, after attending a Medical Conference. I was unable to raise a cup to my lips, or cut the food on my dinner plate. My tremor was noticeable by family and friends. I had been checked for Parkinsons, and the results were negative. This doctor learned that this medication was taken for Essential Tremor, which was mis-diagnosed too many times by Doctors. He wanted me to try it at least. I readily accepted, to take Mysoline, and before I knew it I had results. Taking this prescription, gave me my life back. I no longer needed assitance at dinner time, or by family and friends. I live a normal life now, not ashamed to go out in public. Inderal was added with Mysoline just lately. Thanks

September 7, 2008 5:35 PM

Review by clements74:

For Seizures: I started taking the generic drug Primidone 1-12-08 and so far it has controlled the shaking. I have been told I have seizures that come and go. I can't get my words out and at times I can't figure out what word or name I want to use. My coordination suffers and I feel like my mind is kind of cloudy. My hands also shook when I had these seizures. So far I would rate this drug a thumbs up.

January 28, 2008 11:27 PM