User Reviews for Primidone

Also known as: Mysoline

Learn more about Primidone.

Primidone review summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 3 medications used in the treatment of Benign Essential Tremor.

Reviews for Primidone to treat Benign Essential Tremor

Review by CMysteryC:

For Essential Tremor. Took me a long time to get used to side effects. Felt scared. Dizzy. Headache. Nausea. Increased heart rate. Anxious. Barely standing because I started too high at 50mg. Need to start very low for me. I finally got better. No shakes. Very pleased. The Neurologist Office kept rescheduling me and I ran out. This second time starting was even more AWFUL. Flu like plus feeling kind of like I was in a total mental fog. Odd. Be cautious is my opinion. I was in misery for 3 days. Unable to function. Finally getting better. Day 5. Should have taken at bed time. Never knew.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2014 1:56 AM

Review by the rev (taken for less than 1 month):

I have had Essential Tremor for several years. I have been taking propranolol and clonazepam for last several years but have seen a return of tremor lately. My doctor added primidone in last month. I have been having great difficulty adjusting to medicines though. I feel like I'm spinning most of time, seems to cause increase in shakiness as medicine begins to wear off (at least that's my opinion), and has caused an inability to ejaculate. I am currently working on increasing my dosage amounts. I started at 12.5mg with intended dose of 50mg nightly as goal.

May 10, 2014 10:36 AM

Review by Oregon John:

I have been working up from a starter dose (12.5 mg) of Primidone to 750 mg over the last six months. Also take a beta blocker (for my heart). My essential tremor Has reduced by 70%. Very manageable now.

November 30, 2013 12:36 AM

Review by hand tremors (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on primidone for 10 years, I'm 34. I take 250mg twice a day. No longer works. If I increase the dose anymore I'll be a zombie. About to start Gabapentin, time will tell.

November 27, 2013 2:51 PM

I was diagnosed with Benign Essential Tremor, a month ago...my Dr started me out on 12.5 mg of Primidone. I have increased my dosage every 3/4 days by 12.5 mg. I'm at 112.5mg and the tremors are still there. I also take a beta blocker as well. The side effects are flu like for me the day after I up my dosage. Then I have a "good day " & then the tremors start all over again. I cannot climax as a horrible side effect so I'm frustrated in more ways than one.

August 27, 2012 11:55 PM

Primidone is very effective. I was on Inderal LA 120mg - take 2 once a day. Then it stopped working. They added Primidone 50mg, take 2 three times daily. The combination works best. My tremors are very difficult to deal with. They got so bad as to interfere with normal everyday things.

March 22, 2012 2:33 PM

Review by BillyJr:

Takes months to get used to. Good side effects for me include improved sleep and increased exercise tolerance. Bad (good?) side effect for me is delayed ejaculation.

February 4, 2012 11:23 AM

Review by NW:

I have epilepsy and had it controlled for several years with other medications. Recently I was diagnosed with Essential Tremor and the doctor prescribed Primidone. On the second day of use I had a seizure, as I continued usage and increased dosage as directed I started losing muscle control in my legs, I had periods where I thought I was losing my mind. I was unable to speak clearly as it felt like my tongue was swollen, but it was not. It got to the point where I could not stand up in the shower without leaning against the walls. My wife said get off that medicine! Could not reach my doctor so I decreased dosage to zero. I take a lot of different medications for number of different medical problems, I think my brain had had it.

December 14, 2009 11:41 AM

I was diagnosed with ET 6 weeks ago. I was prescribed Primidone. To date, I still am having serious side effects. My tremors are continual, even to the point where my left arm feels "dead". Generally I feel drained, dizzy, and sick to my stomach. My voice is halting, with shaky patterns, and is more affected when I am tired. I find it very difficult to take this medicine and will be calling my Doctor to discuss any other options.

December 9, 2009 7:33 AM

Review by kelp88:

I've had essential tremor for most of my life. It has got worse in the last 5 years, so I've taken 7 to 8 different drugs (at different times) to see how well they worked. Propanolol worked best, but unfortunately brought out my old asthma that I hadn't had since childhood. Primidone was the only other that seemed to work for me, but was not a cure all. The problem I had with Primidone was the bad effects it gave you, but I persevered and it went away in 3 to 4 days and has not come back again. The bottle says to take three 50 mg pills a day. This is a lower dosage. But, I just take one 50 mg pill once a day and have on occasion upped it to two when I want to feel more confident in public without embarrassing myself with hand tremors.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 8, 2009 11:38 AM

Mysoline (primidone): I found Mysoline effective for my essential tremor, but the side effects of tiredness, lack of energy, plus reduced sexual function (difficulty in ejaculating) is quite frustrating.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 13, 2009 8:56 PM

Review by Ken V:

I started using this in combination with propranolol for my tremor. I take 80 mg of the propranolol in the morning and 50mg of Primidone before bed. I had been taking the propranolol for 6-7 years already and it cuts the intensity of my tremors by 50-70%. By adding Primidone as a combination therapy I would say that it's 80-95% reduced. If you have a hereditary tremor like this you should ask your doctor about these medicines. Good Luck!

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 3, 2009 4:09 PM