User Reviews for Olmesartan

Also known as: Benicar

Learn more about Olmesartan.

Migraine Prevention 1 reviews 32 medications

9.3
High Blood Pressure 78 reviews 261 medications

8.1
Summary of Olmesartan reviews 79 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Olmesartan

Review by salaoui (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Benicar (olmesartan) for Migraine Prevention: Taking for high blood pressure. Now I know why my migraines have gone away almost completely. Also the best blood pressure medicine I have found for me. No side effects for me.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 2, 2014 1:46 PM

Review by jf2good (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: Benicar is very effective, but has side effects. It is causing me irritable bowel syndrome and diarrhea. My doctor first put me on Lisinopril, which caused my lungs to feel like they were full of fluid, after having difficulty breathing I stopped that medication. Then the Dr put me on samples of Benicar and it dropped my blood pressure readings to normal and I didn't notice side effects but the insurance wouldn't approve it. So they approved losartan, which seems to have no side effects but barely reduced my blood pressure, it worked but not very well. So they got the insurance to approve Benicar, but after taking it for almost 2 months it has caused me to have irritable bowel syndrome, if I stop taking it, I improve, start taking it it gets worse.

February 4, 2014 4:26 PM

Review by Sweet gal (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: Controls blood pressure.

January 15, 2014 8:00 AM

Review by Ny Man (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: I have been on Benicar for about a year now and I have to say it has helped my blood pressure. Blood pressure is 120-130 and over 70-75 average. My pressure was not dangerously high but my doctor recommended I go on it since it is in my family history, I am 40.

August 14, 2013 12:52 PM

Review by little man:

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: I have been taking Benicar 20mg. for 2 1/2 yrs. Dr. switched me from lisinopril hydrochlorothiazide after prostate surgery. My blood pressure has remained in the 120/75 range the whole time. The only side effects I have noticed is a change in my sex drive and leg cramps. The lack of sex drive could be from the surgery, Or the fact that I am almost 72 years young.

August 4, 2013 10:51 PM

Review by Big Mama928:

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: My blood pressure was high (144/90 -180/110) My doctors tried Alpha and Beta Blockers, Calcium Channel Blockers, Ace Inhibitors, Angiotension II Receptor Blockers, and diuretics. My best pressure was 138/90. The first week we tried Benicar HCT 40/25, I could tell a big difference. My best pressure was 128/78. After losing some weight, pressure dropped as well. 116/68. I started feeling extremely dizzy. Broke the pill in half and dizziness improved. Doctor will need to adjust dosage and hopefully will be able to discontinue use by end of year if weight loss continues. My appointments are now 3 months instead of monthly. Overall, I am pleased with my progress since I started taking Benicar.

May 27, 2013 6:46 AM

Review by Erka (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For High Blood Pressure: Took this for 7 months started having a swollen tongue after 2 months, then every month until 3 days ago when I had a huge mouth and throat edema. It did lower my blood pressure around 120/80 from 140/100. I was highly recommended to stop it and switch to Hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg for the next 2 months and be assessed later.

April 22, 2013 3:05 PM

Review by phantomjetpilot (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: Good medication! Keeps my blood pressure in a safe range. Have experienced FEW side effects.

March 6, 2013 1:36 PM

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: I have been taking Benicar for four years with no noticeable side effects; keeps my blood pressure at 115/75 easily. I had experienced negative effects such as leg cramps and severe dizziness with other medicines prior to taking Benicar. I still monitor other aspects of my life that affect blood pressure - adequate exercise, proper diet, etc., but am happy this medicine is available to "close the gap."

November 14, 2012 4:39 PM

Review by T206 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: Had some eye problems, especially when reading small print or looking at computer too long, my feet also hurt/swelled. Benicar has a particularly strong odor in pill form.

October 16, 2012 6:29 PM

Review by prudi (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: No side effect.

August 4, 2012 10:06 PM

Review by happypappy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For : I've had uncontrolled blood pressure problems for four months and my doctor is trying to find a new combination to work down the frequent 200/110 readings I have. No weight problems and decent health just horrible blood pressure. We tried Benicar 40mg but I've seen no noticeable effect so far but also no bad side effects, which is good. (Tried Lisinopril--Ace Inhibitor--and wound up in the ER with the worst headache of my life. Finally had to be given morphine and another medicine to knock me unconscious because of the pain. Oddly, though, it did lower my blood pressure. Anyway, because of all the positive reviews above, I'm thinking of suggesting Benicar-HDTZ to my doctor, since I take 12.5mg of hydrochlorthiazide daily anyway. Have had to take Clonidine every night for too long.

July 4, 2012 2:01 PM

Review by maria T:

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: I've been on Benicar/HCT for a couple of months and feel fine on it-no side effects except I had my blood drawn recently and noticed my lipid profile went up drastically from what it usually is (176-222).This is one of the side effects stated. I'm ALSO a cheese fanatic so I'm going to eliminate it for three months, draw my blood again and see what happens. If is stays the same or goes up, obviously its the medication and I'm going to have to try something else because I refuse to go on ANOTHER medication for a NEW problem that was caused by another medication. I hope its the cheese because I'm happy with Benicar.

March 15, 2012 2:24 PM

Review by scjudyb:

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: This is the 4th anti-hypertensive I've tried and I am happy so far. NO side effects, I feel great! Glad I checked here for reviews before trying this medication.

February 12, 2012 5:39 PM

Review by BoB20:

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: Been on Benicar 40mg for over a year, it keeps my blood pressure down. Only side effect that I am not really sure of, is some more joint pain than usual. But with bad discs in back and neck, who can say for sure? Sad part is, thanks to the cost and loss of job/health insurance, I will have to find something cheaper.

January 5, 2012 4:44 AM

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: My PCP started me on Benicar 20mgs/12.5 HCTZ on November 30th. My blood pressure before I took the medication was 145/84, after that it's 135/83-138/85. So far the only side effect I've had is occasional facial flushing. I'll keep monitoring to see how it goes after a full three months on it.

December 30, 2011 11:23 AM

For High Blood Pressure: When I first started on these medicines they worked fine, but 18 months later the medicines are no longer controlling my blood pressure very well at all.

December 22, 2011 5:30 PM

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: I've taken my first dose of Benicar (olmesartan medosomil) 40 mg. I have felt some atrial fibrillation. My doctor wants me to try it for two weeks and a follow-up visit in thirty days to treat hypertension 160/110/105. Previously, I was taking diltiazem 240 mg, that was not lowering my blood pressure. Also, my hair started coming out in large amounts when combed, after only two weeks.

November 30, 2011 2:37 PM

Review by LBailey10:

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: I started Benicar two weeks ago for extremely high blood pressure 220/105. After two weeks my blood prezssure is now down to 140/80. I do feel much better. More energy. The only complaint I have are the muscle/leg cramps, aches I get every night. Nothing helps. I am on 40mg of Benicar once a day. I will call my doctor and see if there is any solution for the muscle aches. Otherwise I am very happy with the results.

July 30, 2011 10:33 PM

Review by ACE09:

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: Just started this medication, I am 26/M/in fairly good shape, work out 4 to 5 times a week so I don't really know why my blood pressure is high but anyway. Took my 2nd dose yesterday, jogged this morning at the gym and hit "the wall" HARD. Felt short of breath and chest pain. Maybe this will go away once I get used to the medication. PS. taking 20mg.

July 14, 2011 3:25 PM

Review by azray:

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: If you are having problems with Benicar, TRY TAKING YOUR DOSE AT NIGHT BEFORE YOU GO TO BED. It took me almost a year to finally figure it out. Plus, you will sleep much better. Give it some time. Most blood pressure medicines make you pee a lot. THIS IS A GOOD THING. Even if you hate getting up to pee a lot, your body is flushing out the sodium from your body. Make sure you drink enough water throughout the day so you have something to expel. Water is good for you anyway, helps you digest better and helps you lose weight. Ditch the caffeinated drinks, coffee, sodas (diet too). Hope this helps.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 20, 2011 6:45 PM

Review by kitkat1955:

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: I've been taking Benicar for about 2 years now. Every other medicine tended to make my feet and ankles swell badly, but this medicine is great. My blood pressure is consistently about 110/70 (sometimes lower). No side effects. I take it in the mornings and do not have a problem with drowsiness, even though I'm really prone to this side effect with other medicines. I just wish my insurance covered it on their formulary. As it is I pay $45/month. This, in combination with the diabetic medicines and supplies, really takes a toll on my budget. But I guess the results are worth it. As a state worker in California, though, I may have to investigate less expensive options soon!

May 11, 2011 2:29 PM

Review by 58woman:

Benicar (olmesartan) for : I have been on Benicar for two years. I experience no side effects, but if I forget to take my daily dose I will develop a feeling of pressure in my nose and head. When I retired recently my insurance would only cover a generic version. As soon as I started the generic I began to have hot flashes and heart pounding. My Doctor wrote a letter to my insurance company indicating I could not take the generic and now I am back on Benicar. I am feeling great!

March 31, 2011 3:33 PM

Review by mdwinburn:

For High Blood Pressure: Have been taking Benicar for over a year now. Blood pressure is controlled and I have had no side effects that I can tell.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 29, 2011 11:23 AM

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: I was first put on lisinopril but it made me cough. Switched to Benicar and it has worked good. I take a half of 20mg in the mornings. No side effects to report. My blood pressure was just a little high and it lowered into normal range.

February 26, 2011 3:24 PM