User Reviews for Olmesartan

Also known as: Benicar

Learn more about Olmesartan.

Olmesartan Review Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 254 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Olmesartan to treat High Blood Pressure

Benicar (olmesartan): "It made feel like I was drunk all the time the unsteadiness on my feet blurred vision. It also gave me hives. It made me eat constantly and I gained like 25 pounds during the 2 mths I was on it. My lower legs and ankles swelled up and I couldn't get the swelling to go down and I tried everything About a wk to 2 wks after quitting benicar 300mg the side effects started subsiding my lower legs and ankles took the longest to go down even my eating has gone back to normal but now I have 25 pounds to loose. I hope this helps anyone thinking about taking it. My mother also worked with a women that took it for about a month and it made her pass out at work one day and she quit taking it too. Hope this helps!!!"

hydie2015 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2015

Benicar (olmesartan): "I gained 13 pounds rapidly I was only on the medication for less than a month. I also experienced asthma type symptoms. I am not an overweight person and I am very athletic but was diagnosed with HBP. I stopped taking Benicar and my lungs are back to normal and the weight gained stopped. I know it was the medication because the extra weight went away."

Jazmine2000 May 8, 2015

Benicar (olmesartan): "Noted that many concerned about the price of Benicar. Go on their website and you can get a coupon that will reduce the co-pay on your Benicar to no more than $25 per month assuming you have health insurance."

DocCoop April 26, 2015

Benicar (olmesartan): "I am taking Benicar HCT 40/25 I have NO sex drive and really bad leg cramps if I stretch, I immediately get a Charlie horse."

Tnygrl64 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 1, 2015

Benicar (olmesartan): "Was previously taking Lisinopril at the highest dosage and still had blood pressure readings of 160/95. Bincar HCT 40/12.5 (Benicar combined with a diuretic called hydrochlorothiazide) is the only drug that has ever gotten my blood pressure fully under control (120/77 at doctor today). I take it with a banana or some orange juice in the morning to ensure my potassium levels don't drop too low. I have no side effects with this pill, other than running to the restroom a bit more during the first couple of days I was taking the medication."

HBPinNashville (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2015

Benicar (olmesartan): "Benicar is great. I have been using it for 4-5 yrs now. I had an initial period of being light-headed for a few weeks when I first started the medicine, but after that, no problems whatsoever. Keeps my blood pressure around 115-70. My bottom figure had been around 95. Benicar is more expensive than a lot of the other hypertension medicines, but it is well worth it for me."

todd55 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 13, 2015

Benicar (olmesartan): "Been taking Benicar/HCT for several years now. It is a very effective antihypertensive in this combination. As they say, nothing in life is free. While it does a great job of lowering my blood pressure, I have experienced several bothersome side effects. These include lightheadedness, dizziness and sleepiness. The later may be due to the potent antihypertensive action of the combination. Tried cutting the pill in half, but since it is not scored, really don't know how much medicine I am getting in the split piece."

Controlled but bothered December 6, 2014

Benicar (olmesartan): "Benicar is very effective, but has side effects. It is causing me irritable bowel syndrome and diarrhea. My doctor first put me on Lisinopril, which caused my lungs to feel like they were full of fluid, after having difficulty breathing I stopped that medication. Then the Dr put me on samples of Benicar and it dropped my blood pressure readings to normal and I didn't notice side effects but the insurance wouldn't approve it. So they approved losartan, which seems to have no side effects but barely reduced my blood pressure, it worked but not very well. So they got the insurance to approve Benicar, but after taking it for almost 2 months it has caused me to have irritable bowel syndrome, if I stop taking it, I improve, start taking it it gets worse."

jf2good (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2014

Benicar (olmesartan): "Controls blood pressure."

Sweet gal (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 15, 2014

Benicar (olmesartan): "I have been on Benicar for about a year now and I have to say it has helped my blood pressure. Blood pressure is 120-130 and over 70-75 average. My pressure was not dangerously high but my doctor recommended I go on it since it is in my family history, I am 40."

Ny Man (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 14, 2013

Benicar (olmesartan): "I have been taking Benicar 20mg. for 2 1/2 yrs. Dr. switched me from lisinopril hydrochlorothiazide after prostate surgery. My blood pressure has remained in the 120/75 range the whole time. The only side effects I have noticed is a change in my sex drive and leg cramps. The lack of sex drive could be from the surgery, Or the fact that I am almost 72 years young."

little man August 4, 2013

Benicar (olmesartan): "My blood pressure was high (144/90 -180/110) My doctors tried Alpha and Beta Blockers, Calcium Channel Blockers, Ace Inhibitors, Angiotension II Receptor Blockers, and diuretics. My best pressure was 138/90. The first week we tried Benicar HCT 40/25, I could tell a big difference. My best pressure was 128/78. After losing some weight, pressure dropped as well. 116/68. I started feeling extremely dizzy. Broke the pill in half and dizziness improved. Doctor will need to adjust dosage and hopefully will be able to discontinue use by end of year if weight loss continues. My appointments are now 3 months instead of monthly. Overall, I am pleased with my progress since I started taking Benicar."

Big Mama928 May 27, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Took this for 7 months started having a swollen tongue after 2 months, then every month until 3 days ago when I had a huge mouth and throat edema. It did lower my blood pressure around 120/80 from 140/100. I was highly recommended to stop it and switch to Hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg for the next 2 months and be assessed later."

Erka (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 22, 2013

Benicar (olmesartan): "Good medication! Keeps my blood pressure in a safe range. Have experienced FEW side effects."

phantomjetpilot (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 6, 2013

Benicar (olmesartan): "I have been taking Benicar for four years with no noticeable side effects; keeps my blood pressure at 115/75 easily. I had experienced negative effects such as leg cramps and severe dizziness with other medicines prior to taking Benicar. I still monitor other aspects of my life that affect blood pressure - adequate exercise, proper diet, etc., but am happy this medicine is available to "close the gap.""

Anonymous November 14, 2012

Benicar (olmesartan): "Had some eye problems, especially when reading small print or looking at computer too long, my feet also hurt/swelled. Benicar has a particularly strong odor in pill form."

T206 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2012

Benicar (olmesartan): "No side effect."

prudi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 4, 2012

Benicar (olmesartan): "I've been on Benicar/HCT for a couple of months and feel fine on it-no side effects except I had my blood drawn recently and noticed my lipid profile went up drastically from what it usually is (176-222).This is one of the side effects stated. I'm ALSO a cheese fanatic so I'm going to eliminate it for three months, draw my blood again and see what happens. If is stays the same or goes up, obviously its the medication and I'm going to have to try something else because I refuse to go on ANOTHER medication for a NEW problem that was caused by another medication. I hope its the cheese because I'm happy with Benicar."

maria T March 15, 2012

Benicar (olmesartan): "This is the 4th anti-hypertensive I've tried and I am happy so far. NO side effects, I feel great! Glad I checked here for reviews before trying this medication."

scjudyb February 12, 2012

Benicar (olmesartan): "Been on Benicar 40mg for over a year, it keeps my blood pressure down. Only side effect that I am not really sure of, is some more joint pain than usual. But with bad discs in back and neck, who can say for sure? Sad part is, thanks to the cost and loss of job/health insurance, I will have to find something cheaper. "

BoB20 January 5, 2012

Benicar (olmesartan): "My PCP started me on Benicar 20mgs/12.5 HCTZ on November 30th. My blood pressure before I took the medication was 145/84, after that it's 135/83-138/85. So far the only side effect I've had is occasional facial flushing. I'll keep monitoring to see how it goes after a full three months on it."

Anonymous December 30, 2011

"When I first started on these medicines they worked fine, but 18 months later the medicines are no longer controlling my blood pressure very well at all."

Anonymous December 22, 2011

Benicar (olmesartan): "I've taken my first dose of Benicar (olmesartan medosomil) 40 mg. I have felt some atrial fibrillation. My doctor wants me to try it for two weeks and a follow-up visit in thirty days to treat hypertension 160/110/105. Previously, I was taking diltiazem 240 mg, that was not lowering my blood pressure. Also, my hair started coming out in large amounts when combed, after only two weeks."

Anonymous November 30, 2011

Benicar (olmesartan): "I started Benicar two weeks ago for extremely high blood pressure 220/105. After two weeks my blood prezssure is now down to 140/80. I do feel much better. More energy. The only complaint I have are the muscle/leg cramps, aches I get every night. Nothing helps. I am on 40mg of Benicar once a day. I will call my doctor and see if there is any solution for the muscle aches. Otherwise I am very happy with the results."

LBailey10 July 30, 2011

Benicar (olmesartan): "Just started this medication, I am 26/M/in fairly good shape, work out 4 to 5 times a week so I don't really know why my blood pressure is high but anyway. Took my 2nd dose yesterday, jogged this morning at the gym and hit "the wall" HARD. Felt short of breath and chest pain. Maybe this will go away once I get used to the medication. PS. taking 20mg."

ACE09 July 14, 2011