User Reviews for Naproxen

Also known as: Aflaxen, Aleve, All Day Pain Relief, All Day Relief, Anaprox, Anaprox-DS, Comfort Pac with Naproxen, EC-Naprosyn, Flanax Pain Reliever, Leader Naproxen Sodium, Midol Extended Relief, Naprelan, Naprosyn, Naproxen Sodium DS, Pamprin All Day Relief

Learn more about Naproxen.

Naproxen Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 53 medications used in the treatment of Period Pain.

Reviews for Naproxen to treat Period Pain

"Girls... If you want to be able to function and actually get out of bed this is the solution for you. I have unbearable cramps to where I'm stuck in bed and cry all day from the pain. I've tried everything over the counter and nothing has worked. I was prescribed the 550 mg and my life has changed. Even though there are times where I still have pain it's not as bad as it was. I don't experience any real side effects except sometimes I get a little tired, but it's not horrible."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 16, 2016

"Doctor prescribed me naproxen sodium since I have endometriosis and it helps my cramps a lot. My cramps before were so bad they made me stay in bed and made me nauseous. This stops/slows the cramps thus eliminating all my other period pains. Definitely recommend this to other women with the same problem."

Vanessaaaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2016

Aleve (naproxen): "This is my go to drug every month for cramps. Love love love. I've had severe cramps ever since and as soon as I started taking this everything will go away in less than 15 minutes."

Karina Sam (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2015

"Suffered severe period pain doctor put me on naproxen in 2 months have no pain and no period flow it's basically stopped but side effects I got itchy hives but it's great..but doctor says pain is fibroids that have to come out I wanted to stay on naproxen but she said it's only a solution not the end result...."

Miss Buffy October 19, 2015

"Was prescribed this for my crippling period cramps that made it impossible for me to go about my day whatsoever. It worked well for the first few months. It did not completely eliminate my pain but the pain was not nearly as bad as before. After about 4 months of taking it I began to notice side effects such as racing heart beat, difficulty swallowing, and constipation among others. I quickly stopped taking it after noticing these side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2015

Aleve (naproxen): "Swelling, tingling feeling on my tongue and hives shortly after taking this product. I remember taking it for period pain in middle school and had little issues, now I must stay completely away from it."

Martha Martha July 17, 2015

"I have tried everything but only with this painkiller I can function on first day of my period. I still feel little pain but bearable. I can go to job. Until I discover this drug I was every month minimum one day in bed vomiting, screaming and crying. Other pills never helped this much."

tinkyrs July 7, 2015

"I was passing out from the sheer pain that radiated from my lower abdomen to my lower back and so on. I had quite the pain tolerance, yet this pain was like no other. Hot water bottles, home remedies, Motrin, nothing worked. When I spoke to my doctor, she recommended the pill but my mother was against this because of my age. After I turned 13, my doctor decided to prescribe me naproxen, 250 mg, take 2 at onset of cramps and then 1 pill every 6-8 hours as needed. It was magical, I mean within 10-20 minutes of me taking it, the pain went away. How? Naproxen is a NSAID, it reduces inflammation in the uterus. That simple. Highly recommend, but use carefully so as to not damage your liver. Seriously."

Randi937 July 6, 2015

"I've always had horrible cramps which where unbearable I used Advil but I always end up taking 6+ so then my doctor prescribed Naproxens 500mg and only take 2 a day and the pain totally goes always within the first 10 minutes"

Alex0606 June 26, 2015

"My period has been awful since the first time I got it at age 13. I've experienced a variety of symptoms each month that make my period unpredictable. Some months I feel fine and maybe just get a pimple, other months I'm a crying mess, there have been times where the pressure on my lower back and abdomen is so intense that I cant move, nausea, headaches, joint pain in my knees, etc. It got to the point where when I was 15 I started birth control. The birth control made me extremely emotional so I stopped and continued with Advil, Midol, I tried bananas, warm compresses, exercise. Nothing worked. I started using naproxen and within 10-15 min my symptoms are alleviated and I can go about my day."

B Marie J January 20, 2015

"I was prescribed 500mg a day for a shoulder injury, I am so used to dealing with terrible period pain and extremely heavy flow that it wasn't the reason I went to see a doctor. Not only does it help with my shoulder pain but my period has completely turned around into an experience I do not dread and worry about. I am so grateful to have been prescribed it. I don't have to put my life on hold to hide at home in pain and all around feeling terrible. When I started getting my period until I graduated high school I would always end up missing a day or two because of how much pain I was in and how heavy my flow was. When I worked I would dread the days with it and a lot of the time miss work because of it."

Meggers December 22, 2014

"I have extreme nausea a few days before and during my period. I tried so many things but nothing worked. My gyn wrote me a script for 550 mg of naproxen twice daily and I took it 3 days before my period and during my period. It worked!! I feel 100% better than the previous month."

AJ1530 November 18, 2014

Anaprox-DS (naproxen): "Menstrual cramps"

Lotus7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2014

Anaprox-DS (naproxen): "Since high school I had terrible cramps/fatigue and nausea. I wasn't able to go about my normal activities. Until I switched doctors and she prescribed me the naproxen. I take it a few days before I get my period (when I get "warning" cramps). By the time my period comes I have no nausea and no fatigue, the cramps are still there but nowhere close to how bad I feel without the naproxen. I have to take this with food, because if I don't it messes with my stomach. Easy to take."

CkE August 6, 2014

"So when I started getting my period at about 13 I had the WORST CRAMPS EVER. Like I'm talking over the toilet, in the shower, missing school, and stuff like that. Typically it was only the first, rarely the second, day Of my cycle I would stay home or come home in bed feeling like my insides were flipping inside out. So after a couple months of this my mom got worried and took me to the doctor who told me I should go get an ultrasound on my uterus to make sure that there wasn't extra blood flow, extra lining, or anything. This is mostly because I didn't have blood clots so she wanted to make sure there wasn't something that needed attention pronto. nothing came up in the ultrasound. So I got prescribed naproxen and it's a LIFE SAVER!!!!"

Shaolamander April 26, 2014

"My experienced was my period was non-stop for almost 2 month. I went to my gyn and prescribed me Naproxen for pain. It was so effective that my period went away in a week. Now when my period comes I'll take it right away. Thanks Naproxen."

Miracle73 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 8, 2014

Aleve (naproxen): "Aleve helps a lot"

Alycat001 October 17, 2013

"First let me say how bad are the cramps for me, they are the worst, like nothing else. I just cannot function in those days, legs feel like heavy stones that can't be moved, feeling dizzy and I don't want say how bad the stomach cramps are. So I've been taking ibuprofen for last year, it helped 3/10, then I decided to try Midol, which gave me worse day of my life, I took it in an empty stomach and I didn't get rid of ANY pain, it got worse and I threw up like 10 times in that day. So I went to my doctor who gave me naproxen. I got my period 6 hours before and I took it immediately, the pain to away in 20-30 mins and I feel wonderful now, I don't even feel I'm on my period. Also I avoided caffeine in last 10-12 days, and exercised LOTS."

Gossipgirl6 July 25, 2013

"I'm 31 years old and I'm in the military, I always had severe and heavy periods with really bad cramps. Before I went in the military and I had my periods, I used to just relax and take maybe 2 Advil and it would pass but now everyday I have to move and workout and endure the pain and its horrible. So when I told my friend about that she told me she was in the same situation and she gave me naproxen and it was a life saver. Now I barely feel any cramps and even my flow isn't heavy anymore! I can finally focus on my job. I am so happy this medicine works."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2013

"As I got older and 7 kids later my menstrual pain took a turn for the worst, I have severe cramping and fatigue this medication was never prescribed to me after being rushed to the emergency room numerous times. My husband was given this medication for back pain and I was in so much pain that I decided to try it. This medicine has saved my life. I will go get my own prescription!"

TracyNY July 11, 2013

"Since beginning my period at the age of 12, I have experienced tremendous pain. So much so that I'd miss school, work, events, etc. I'd be in bed writing in unbelievable pain for the first day or two...on the toilet bent over in pain and dropping clots...losing weight...having absolutely zero energy - it'd take me about a week to feel somewhat normal again after each period. I've tried everything - you name it, I've tried it. Since my new gynecologist prescribed naproxen, it has been LIFE CHANGING. The first time I took it, the beginnings of pain were gone in 20 minutes! So, for the first time in 22 years, I had NO pain with my period. That's a LONG time to have pain! I can't believe no one gave this to me sooner! It's GREAT!"

Anonymous December 7, 2012

"After 2 decades of seeking relief from bad menstrual cramps and who knows how many gynos (who either accused me of drug seeking or threw narcotics at me, then branded me noncompliant for refusing narcotics) I found a doctor who gave me naproxen. He explained something about its blood thinning properties and how it thins the blood before it sheds from the uterus, as where blot clots the uterus when the shed. MADE SO MUCH SENSE! Especially after the wonderful results. Flow is extremely heavier for the 1st 2 days, then barely a streak for the next 5 days, but NO pain, not even a pinch! Miracle! Taken 3 days before also completely eliminates sore breasts and bloating. If I didn't bleed I wouldn't even know I was having a period. No joke."

brewoliver August 19, 2012

"WARNING to the user of Naproxen who posted on here, that after taking naproxen, they experienced hives and weakness. This means you are allergic to it and should consult your doctor immediately. Taking Benadryl may alleviate the symptoms but the symptoms may worsen over time. It may not be the medicine for you. Please consult your doctor. "

Anonymous July 16, 2012

"Suffered for 25 years, though not quite as bad now as in my teens/20s. Missing one day of my life each month to horrendous pain/nausea/fever/chills total lack of mental focus. This seems to fix everything! Amazing, wish I'd had this when I was 15."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2012

"As I grew older my pains grew worse. Since I've discovered naproxen, I never worry about period pains anymore because it soothes the pain within 15-20mins!"

bec31801 April 4, 2012