User Reviews for Naproxen

Also known as: Aflaxen, Aleve, All Day Pain Relief, All Day Relief, Anaprox, Anaprox-DS, Comfort Pac with Naproxen, EC-Naprosyn, Flanax Pain Reliever, Leader Naproxen Sodium, Midol Extended Relief, Naprelan, Naprosyn, Naproxen Sodium DS, Pamprin All Day Relief

Learn more about Naproxen.

Naproxen review summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of Period Pain.

Reviews for Naproxen to treat Period Pain

Review by Shaolamander:

So when I started getting my period at about 13 I had the WORST CRAMPS EVER. Like I'm talking over the toilet, in the shower, missing school, and stuff like that. Typically it was only the first, rarely the second, day Of my cycle I would stay home or come home in bed feeling like my insides were flipping inside out. So after a couple months of this my mom got worried and took me to the doctor who told me I should go get an ultrasound on my uterus to make sure that there wasn't extra blood flow, extra lining, or anything. This is mostly because I didn't have blood clots so she wanted to make sure there wasn't something that needed attention pronto. nothing came up in the ultrasound. So I got prescribed naproxen and it's a LIFE SAVER!!!!

April 26, 2014 10:30 AM

Review by Miracle73 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My experienced was my period was non-stop for almost 2 month. I went to my gyn and prescribed me Naproxen for pain. It was so effective that my period went away in a week. Now when my period comes I'll take it right away. Thanks Naproxen.

January 8, 2014 3:50 PM

Review by Alycat001:

Aleve (naproxen): Aleve helps a lot

October 17, 2013 3:41 AM

Review by Gossipgirl6:

First let me say how bad are the cramps for me, they are the worst, like nothing else. I just cannot function in those days, legs feel like heavy stones that can't be moved, feeling dizzy and I don't want say how bad the stomach cramps are. So I've been taking ibuprofen for last year, it helped 3/10, then I decided to try Midol, which gave me worse day of my life, I took it in an empty stomach and I didn't get rid of ANY pain, it got worse and I threw up like 10 times in that day. So I went to my doctor who gave me naproxen. I got my period 6 hours before and I took it immediately, the pain to away in 20-30 mins and I feel wonderful now, I don't even feel I'm on my period. Also I avoided caffeine in last 10-12 days, and exercised LOTS.

July 25, 2013 3:23 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'm 31 years old and I'm in the military, I always had severe and heavy periods with really bad cramps. Before I went in the military and I had my periods, I used to just relax and take maybe 2 Advil and it would pass but now everyday I have to move and workout and endure the pain and its horrible. So when I told my friend about that she told me she was in the same situation and she gave me naproxen and it was a life saver. Now I barely feel any cramps and even my flow isn't heavy anymore! I can finally focus on my job. I am so happy this medicine works.

July 23, 2013 1:42 AM

Review by TracyNY:

As I got older and 7 kids later my menstrual pain took a turn for the worst, I have severe cramping and fatigue this medication was never prescribed to me after being rushed to the emergency room numerous times. My husband was given this medication for back pain and I was in so much pain that I decided to try it. This medicine has saved my life. I will go get my own prescription!

July 11, 2013 7:22 AM

Since beginning my period at the age of 12, I have experienced tremendous pain. So much so that I'd miss school, work, events, etc. I'd be in bed writing in unbelievable pain for the first day or two...on the toilet bent over in pain and dropping clots...losing weight...having absolutely zero energy - it'd take me about a week to feel somewhat normal again after each period. I've tried everything - you name it, I've tried it. Since my new gynecologist prescribed naproxen, it has been LIFE CHANGING. The first time I took it, the beginnings of pain were gone in 20 minutes! So, for the first time in 22 years, I had NO pain with my period. That's a LONG time to have pain! I can't believe no one gave this to me sooner! It's GREAT!

December 7, 2012 10:32 AM

Review by brewoliver:

After 2 decades of seeking relief from bad menstrual cramps and who knows how many gynos (who either accused me of drug seeking or threw narcotics at me, then branded me noncompliant for refusing narcotics) I found a doctor who gave me naproxen. He explained something about its blood thinning properties and how it thins the blood before it sheds from the uterus, as where blot clots the uterus when the shed. MADE SO MUCH SENSE! Especially after the wonderful results. Flow is extremely heavier for the 1st 2 days, then barely a streak for the next 5 days, but NO pain, not even a pinch! Miracle! Taken 3 days before also completely eliminates sore breasts and bloating. If I didn't bleed I wouldn't even know I was having a period. No joke.

August 19, 2012 4:34 AM

WARNING to the user of Naproxen who posted on here, that after taking naproxen, they experienced hives and weakness. This means you are allergic to it and should consult your doctor immediately. Taking Benadryl may alleviate the symptoms but the symptoms may worsen over time. It may not be the medicine for you. Please consult your doctor.

July 16, 2012 12:24 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Suffered for 25 years, though not quite as bad now as in my teens/20s. Missing one day of my life each month to horrendous pain/nausea/fever/chills total lack of mental focus. This seems to fix everything! Amazing, wish I'd had this when I was 15.

May 28, 2012 7:39 PM

Review by bec31801:

As I grew older my pains grew worse. Since I've discovered naproxen, I never worry about period pains anymore because it soothes the pain within 15-20mins!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 4, 2012 9:33 AM

My gynecologist suggested I take one of these at the first twinge of a cramp. Every now and then I get horrible debilitating cramps. This medicine has saved me. I take one pill and I know within about 30 minutes I'll be feeling a lot better and won't have any cramps.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 30, 2012 2:26 PM

Review by ebbz:

I am on my second day of using naproxen due to my really bad period pain. I usually have to take time off work and am left crying in pain for the first few days of my period. So far, the only thing that naproxen has stopped for me is the pain that makes me cry. The pain is still very strong.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 28, 2011 7:07 AM

Review by bethmed:

Aleve (naproxen): This medicine saved me. Starting about the age of 15 I began to experience menstrual cramps for the first time. It was the very worst pain I had ever felt at that time. Not content to only hurt in my lower abdomen the pain radiated all the way down the front of my legs to my ankles. I couldn't sit still. All I could do was pace back and forth crying. I couldn't find a single pain reliever that worked; we had the usual in the house, aspirin, ibuprofen, even Midol. Finally my mother became so worried she took me to the doctor. I thought I was going to have to be on some kind of strong prescription medication. What does he do, he returns to the room with about 50 samples of Aleve and it has been my miracle drug ever since.

August 12, 2011 4:53 PM

Midol Extended Relief (naproxen): Midol Extended Relief is the best pain reliever for my period. I used to take 800mg Ibuprofen because I get terrible cramping, now I prefer the Midol. I don't have to take it as often and since it is Midol it relieves more than just the cramps. Every woman in my office uses it for cramps.

March 25, 2011 11:29 AM

I was involved in a car accident in 2005 in which my urethra was severed. Since surgery it has had a an going problem with closing off with scar tissue. I have to self catheterize, which results in inflammation in the area. Naproxen at 500mg has been the only anti-inflammatory that has worked in this area. Also effective for muscle pain.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 20, 2011 9:26 PM

One thing I've learned is to avoid dairy products and too much fat about a week to 10 days before my period. I helps a lot with reducing bloating and cramps. I still have to use medication to control the cramps, but no dairy makes a huge difference.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2010 7:58 PM

Review by Kitrean:

My menstrual cramps have always been out of control. I would miss school and work every month for 2 or 3 days doing nothing but laying in bed with a heating pad, overdosing on Midol, and crying my eyes out. I would be in so much pain. Once I matured and moved from seeing a pediatrician to a gynecologist 3 years ago my doctor prescribed me Naproxen for my extreme pain. For the most part it relieves me of all my pain, but every now and then (even with the naproxen) my period still hits me pretty hard but it is bearable.

January 14, 2010 12:24 PM

Review by kelnjm:

Upon taking Naproxen, I immediately get dizzy, break out in hives, and become very weak. But taking Benadryl immediately after the symptoms began relieved all of the symptoms.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2009 4:54 PM

Review by babyellis14:

Wow. I have tried all kinds of over the counter medicines like Midol, Tylenol, and Advil for period pain. Midol seemed to help the best, but it just wasn't enough. My doctor prescribed me Naproxen. I'm so glad she did. It's all I need for cramps now. It works fast, too. I'd say it takes around 15 or 20 minutes to kick in. I just took one this morning, and my pain is almost all the way gone already. The directions say to take it the day before it starts, which is hard for me to predict sometimes, but if I take it at the right time, I experience almost no pain during my period. I also get migraines, and if I feel one coming on, I take one of these, then take a nap. When I wake up, the pain is usually gone. I'm taking 250 mg.

July 15, 2009 8:48 AM

It's absolutely wonderful for period cramps. For me, they're effective within 20 minutes, and they're the only things that work.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 26, 2009 3:33 AM

This medication for cramps is the BEST. It's weird but my cramps only happen in the morning before my actual period comes. The pain starts literally within twenty minutes of waking. I pop one of these and within an hour, I'm fine. I usually don't have to take another pill even though you can take the medication twice a day. I've been using it for a year. It's great.

August 30, 2008 3:56 PM

I can't swallow pills. I've tried taking them crushed and nothing will stay down long enough to kill the pain. I'm now on liquid naproxen and it is wonderful. Kills the pain and the nausea.

July 4, 2008 7:57 AM

The only thing that helps my severe period pain.

April 18, 2008 4:44 PM

Review by from Trinidad to New York:

I have been using Naproxen 500mg for at least 8 years. I find this product very helpful for period pain, although if you take it to late, it sometimes takes up to an hour to relieve the pain, but when it goes it takes a long time to come back. I haven't had any side effects or none that I've noticed.

April 18, 2008 2:15 PM