User Reviews for Montelukast

Also known as: Singulair

Learn more about Montelukast.

Bronchospasm Prophylaxis 2 reviews 14 medications

6.3
COPD 3 reviews 34 medications

Summary of Montelukast reviews 142 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Montelukast

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "OMG!! I've been taking singulair for one week. I haven't received my advair from the mail order pharmacy....but, singulair is a miracle. I had shortness of breath (SOB) and tight chest - it felt like I was having angina. Really after the 1st dose I noticed I coughed less. Today I walked all the way from the back parking lot to my floor without stopping or SOB. Didn't even have to use my inhaler. Amazing!"

jolene8992 (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I was prescribed this for allergies, particularly for constant nasal blockage and sinus congestion. My doctor advised that it would take 2-3 weeks to take effect. I took it for over a month and had nothing but issues. First off, it did absolutely nothing for my symptoms. In fact, it made them worse. I went from being stuffy and having sinus pressure to the point of it being very painful. I would wake up in the middle of the night so congested that my nose and sinuses hurt so badly, I had to take Advil. It made me start snoring very loudly, regardless of which position I slept in (probably due to the worsening sinus blockage). Since I stopped taking this, I no longer snore and my allergies, while not gone, are better."

Harley84 February 12, 2016

For Asthma: "I did not feel any great improvement to asthma. Side effects were numerous to me but the ones that were more to disturb the stomach and abdominal pain and diarrhea,"

F.UK February 7, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance: "I didnt see a difference in my 8 yr old's symptoms. she became depressed quickly. she started to say she wanted to die! we discontinued use as soon as we realized it was the meds. now shes happy again"

mad lady February 4, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Within days of starting this medication I became a different person. Anxious, depressed, hopeless. I thought the world had turned against me for some reason and couldn't muster the strength to get dressed in the morning. But the worst part, if you can imagine something worse than constant anxiety, was the fear. It was like being afraid for your life every minute. I began checking the door locks 5 or 6 times because I feared being murdered in my sleep. It was when I was making plans to set up my bed in the closet did I finally have the moment of clarity that this wasn't rational thinking and something was very wrong! Stopped taking Singular and was back to cheerful, sunny, optimistic, confident self in 2 days. Never again!!!"

Beth G (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I am a retired physician. Every winter & spring I suffer with horrible congestive episodes, once becoming so dizzy, I barely could get out of bed just to go to the bathroom. I saw an ENT doc who diagnosed me with vasomotor rhinitis, and stopped my Claritin. Spring came around & I was miserable again. I saw an allergist who did multiple skin testing & concluded I had no allergies-urban irritants caused nasal mucosal swelling resulting in my congestion. When my symptoms got worse, I was sent for a CT scan of my sinuses, & was found to have chronic sinusitis. Every year I still have seasonal recurrences of sinusitis. My new PCP decided to try Singulair (Montelukast) along with antibiotics & I can now breathe out of both nostrils. Yay!"

Dr. Anne B (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2016

For Asthma: "I am 44 and developed an allergy to an unavoidable food. It took a long time to work out what it was that was almost killing me. Constantly on prednisone and other heavy duty meds. Once we worked out the problem we reduced my intake of it as much as possible and started on Montelucast and Nuelin. I have my life back. Some side effects but they mostly pass and since I know what is causing them I am able to rationalise and manage it. The alternative for me was far worse. I would have died."

ManaNZ (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 9, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance: "My GP prescribed it for my 5 year old daughter to prevent further attacks of asthma with the hope to reduce or stop Fluticasone inhaler as she takes high doses of it, but thanks to heaven we have fluticasone. Just few days after Montelukast she became a totally different person with episodes of agitation, rolling in bed for 1 to 2 hours before sleeping, aggressive episodes hitting her littlle brother which she has never had done before this medicine, waking at least 3 times in the middle of night shouting at me to come and be with her because she is afraid and she told me that she feels unhappy with tearful eyes and she doesn't know why. I had to stop it just after two weeks and she started to return to her normality"

desperate father (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2015

For Allergic Rhinitis: "When I developed late onset asthma and lost my sense of taste, in addition to the chronic nasal allergies I was finally put on this. It works wonders for allergies - no doubt about it. But ... Poor sleep, vivid unpleasant dreams/ nightmares. Increased anger & irritability ( husband says complete personality change) severe & worsening memory problems. Last two weeks strong salt taste in mouth? Don't know if this is relevant? Any way going to try to come off it, but not looking forward to return of allergies..."

Lexie's Mum (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 13, 2015

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I had intense sneezing for 2 days. My dad went to the medical shop and asked for a tablet to control it. The chemist gave montelukast and after one tablet in the night continuous movement and slight restlessness in the night, though it stopped the sneezing."

Siddanth (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2015

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I have been on singular for less than 1 week. I have noticed that with the slightest bump I bruise easily. My mouth is dry but my throat is not closing in. I have been sleeping better and have been more active. Still take allergy medicine occasionally, advair and blue puffer. Wowzers"

Thankful Lisa November 15, 2015

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I was prescribed this for headaches and eye irritation for allergies. Been taking it for a month. No improvement or change in symptoms. Drs office said it takes a few days to help symptoms ; pharmacist said it can take 4-6 weeks to build up on in your system. The generic is cheap but after a month, no change. Don't know if its med not working or mis diagnosis"

Sajam6 (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2015

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I never had allergies until I was an adult. Most of my allergies are at night making it unbearable and hard to sleep. Nasal congestion itchy eyes and mouth. This would continue into the morning. During the day time I would get constant ear pressure and cracking. My doctor put me on singular (generic was given from the pharmacy) and my symptoms have improved significantly but I get nose bleeds more often which is a side effect. I've been on it for three months now. Still get the occasional stuffiness in the morning but much better over all."

Thenga October 26, 2015

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I just took generic singular for the first time. I usually take claritin, flonase, benadryl, and a few other allergy medications. I have also had allergy testing , and frequent sinus infections that need antibiotics . My nose is constantly congested and at night I have to use vapor rub under my nose so I can breathe My throat hurts daily from drainage. I only took the medication one hour ago and my whole face for the first time in a long time does not feel congested. My nose is not dripping and my eyes are not itchy anymore. Maybe it is just a coincidence but I really noticed generic singular working very fast. The only side effect I feel is a little sleepy. I hope I feel this way from now on since it is only day one taking generic singular"

hop October 2, 2015

For Asthma: "My doctor was aware of my history of and treatment for anxiety and panic attacks when she prescribed this for me. She directed that it be taken in the evening before bed and I don't know why that is. There have been 2 or 3 times when I forgot to take it, so I took it the next morning. I found that on the following nights, I had very strange dreams, woke to a panic attack, and had difficulty going back to sleep. Since I have put that together, I have made sure to take the medicine at night and I haven't had any more problems."

vineskm September 23, 2015

For Asthma: "i was prescribed this drug for allergies and wheezing. The first couple weeks I noticed the wheezing stopped but I became very agitated and aggressive. Then I started waking up with panic attacks. When I stopped taking it my face swelled up. This medicine also made me very nauseas and gave me horrible stomach cramps. I had to stop it after a month."

Mjd618 September 22, 2015

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I have severe allergies everyday right when I get up in the morning. My nose just starts to run and drip. If I do not have tissues, my mucus would just drip on the floor. My allergies always go away around lunch time. I took generic singulair (montelukast sodium) everyday in the morning. Then I switched to the evening. I may have only missed one or two tablets throughout the 3 months that I took it, but my drip is the same as before. This medication does not work for me. I have tried the generics for Claritin, Allegra, and Zyrtec. Now I have tried the generic form of Singulair. All of these medications do not work for me. The only medication that works is Benadryl, but Benadryl makes me so exhausted and congested."

Nose Dripper September 12, 2015

For Asthma: "This medicine was poison to me. I had it prescribed to me following a mild allergic reaction to a bug bite. I have suffered from mild anxiety in the past, but within a month of taking Singulair, I went from mild to severe. Panic attacks, crying for no reason, racing thoughts, overall feelings of hopelessness. I was at the end of my rope after a particularly bad panic attack when my husband suggested it might be my medication. At first I didn't believe it, because it was an allergy medicine...how bad could it be? Imagine my surprise when I looked it up and saw there are many, many people suffering the exact same side effects as me! I immediately stopped taking the drug, and now 48 hours later I can't even believe how normal I feel. Sure, the allergies are back but I'll be thankful for every sneeze if it means I don't have to suffer the psychological effects of this drug. I would strongly caution anyone considering to take this medicine (especially if it is for a child) to do your research beforehand and make sure someone you love is monitoring your behavior. For me, it was a terrifying drug and I am so glad I listened to my husband."

Xxoo (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2015

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Our seven year old has severe bronchial inflammation due to a reactive airway. He had severe asthma reactions where he was full of mucus and fighting to breathe. The first day on Singular he was tired and grouchy, but has had no side effects, sleeps soundly, and has had perfect success with it, along with a daily asthma inhaler. A great relief"

Little man (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2015

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I have been taking Montelukast for about 5 years. It's helped me considerably with my extremely severe Urticaria. It basically stopped the symptoms completely. Since my condition was so extreme I ignored the side effects of the drug for a long time. I have insomnia. I wake up every 2 hours and I have mad dreams. I've always been a big dreamer, but since under the influence of Montelukast all dreams are basically nightmares. I'm extremely agitated during the day. Everyone basically annoys me. It's a bit rough but I have it under control. I get low fever randomly and quite heavy night sweats, too. I have now stopped taking it to see if my condition has improved so I can maybe sleep through the night again. Fingers crossed."

Anonymous September 4, 2015

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I tried other allergy medicine and it was not doing anything at all. I started taking generic singular and it opened my airways right up. I love how well I can breath on this medication however I started having restless legs at night and couldn't sleep. So I stopped taking it. Then I had an allergy test and turned out to be allergic to a lot of things including foods so the Dr. Suggested I go back on the medication. My tummy feels bloated and cramping. I'm back to not sleeping and I don't know if it is because of the drug but I am having menstrual cycle issues. Heavy, cramps and close together. Bottom line it works great but side effects not for everyone."

katSands August 27, 2015

For Asthma: "Only been taking medication for a flare with my asthma. Have taken it for 4 days and am having terrible nightmares and been very shaky. Feel very anxious to."

moodymands (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2015

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "For the last 6 months I have had allergies like never before in my 32 years. Constant nasal congestion and dry coughing. I have been miserable. OTC antihistamines were not cutting it, so My doctor put me on Xyzal and Azelastine back in June. This improved my congestion but after catching a cold in July I ended up with the same symptoms and a dry cough that would not go away. It kept me up at night and I was miserable. He put me on Singulair, and since then the congestion has improved and I can sleep through the night without coughing!"

Amyfromga (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2015

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "I took Singulair for a week because I was having trouble with my asthma and allergies. But I also have anxiety and panic attacks often and Singulair made it so much worse!! Every time I took it my heart would race and even the next morning I would still have a racing heart. I ended up having panic attacks every day and going to the ER twice in a week while on this. I will NEVER take this again, it's very bad for people who have anxiety. My asthma is still bad but it wasn't worth trying because of the side effects."

MayAG (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2015

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I've been stepping up and up since I was diagnosed with asthma. First it was just Ventolin, then we added Clenil Modulite, then Seretide 50/25 at Christmas, up to Seretide 125/25 a few weeks later, adding in Avamys nasal spray for hayfever and Acrivastine for hayfever and Type 1 latex allergy, then finally adding on Montelukast. Sadly, unlike some of the other people on here, I haven't been able to get down to just Montelukast. However, I'd say it's a miracle pill! I play ice hockey and overnight I went from tight chest and coughing and wheezing after hockey (I have CVA so wheezing is weird) to being totally fine. I still struggle if I max out, so I have to change out regularly but I play forward so that's easy enough. It's just great!!!"

servewithmintsauce (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2015