User Reviews for Montelukast

Also known as: Singulair

Learn more about Montelukast.

Bronchospasm Prophylaxis 2 reviews 14 medications

COPD 3 reviews 35 medications

Summary of Montelukast reviews 98 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Montelukast

Review by lomo (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Asthma: Since taking montelukast for my asthma I can finally breathe freely without constant use of Albuterol inhaler! I use it in combination with Zyrtec for my allergies and I think it is terrific! I call it my miracle!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 21, 2014 2:15 PM

Review by GreenSubmarine:

For Asthma, Maintenance: I've had asthma all my life and after 14 years, montelukast was introduced to aid my other medication. For a year and a half my asthma was controlled, and then my dosage was doubled because I turned 16. After the increased dosage, my mental health worsened, and after dealing with terrible anxiety and depression for 18 months, I realised that it fitted with the time period that I'd been taking this and was worsened with increased dosage. It had all been side effects. The extra montelukast was a tipping point in my mental health and I became suicidal. I stopped using this immediately and my parents got me help, after 6 months I had recovered. I share this in the hope that it prevents the same thing from happening.

May 2, 2014 7:09 PM

Review by LeahInTabor:

For Hay Fever: I have allergies generally. My life has been hell for the last year. In three days, since I started this, I felt better than I have in ages. My only problem with it is that I don't fall asleep before three without a little help and I'm always HOT. I can handle those two things though, because I feel decent.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2014 2:24 AM

Review by Mandie161312 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: After years on inhalers, my doctor gave me this & I hardly ever have to use an inhaler anymore

January 28, 2014 11:35 PM

Review by Ida van Rensburg (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: I was on Singulair for about a year, when my medical aid would all of a sudden only pay for Tropaz (I believe it is a generic). Tropaz was equally effective, but after about six months of use I developed terribly dry and burning lips. I went of Tropaz for about six months, and started using it again. My lips were fine and for a couple of months I had no side-effects. The medical aid then changed from Tropaz to Minair and within 2 two months I had a disastrous allergen of hives and welts.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 21, 2014 6:31 AM

Review by Ren85 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Asthma: I'm 28 & have asthma. I tried Singulair a few years ago, which helped my asthma & allergies. I recently began to have asthma flare ups again & started taking the generic. This time I am noticing side effects. I have frequent headaches, which may or may not be from the medicine, but could be from lack of sleep that I definitely attribute to this medicine. I get so exhausted but can't fall asleep until sometimes 6 am, then walk around like a zombie the next day only to repeat the pattern. I am prone to depression but have not noticed it worsening. I am not a crier but now tear up over everything, happy or sad. I have sharp pain in my ears. Dry eyes.

December 13, 2013 4:11 AM

Review by stcarolyn (taken for 10 years or more):

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: Thank God for Singulair. I got my life back. My asthma was so bad I was afraid to go anywhere without my nebulizer. Now my asthma is almost non-existent. I have no side effects and feel great. I just wish I would have had this medicine many years earlier, it would have saved many trips to the emergency room and much suffering and panic.

November 29, 2013 3:23 PM

Review by Judi,Aussie:

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: Have been on Singulair since it came on the market in Aust years ago. I call it my Magic pill with no obvious side effects despite having many other allergies. I didn't find it helped my hay fever though so take 1/2an antihistamine as well in summer when humid and winter when smoke from fires around. I went from high dose cortisone puffers and using Ventolin most of the day still being breathless and wheezing all the time to breathing free within 4 days of starting and off all puffers within the week. Due to cost about a year in was running out so cut down to 1/2 tablet which still left me free of the asthma so then tried a 1/4 and found this still worked, so have continued on this since then. ( to be continued as not enough space)

October 29, 2013 3:21 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Asthma, Maintenance: My doctor put me on this hoping it would help a chronic cough that I have had for the past four months. While I think it is helping, the side effects are just too strong for me. I take the medication at night since it makes me tired but the sleepiness lasts all day. However I am not getting much sleep because I keep having strange dreams that wake me up all night long. On top of that, I have started to have anxiety.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 10, 2013 3:51 PM

Review by Tiffy R.:

For Hay Fever: I've been on this pill for about a year now. I was doing GREAT in the spring and summer times but as soon as the mold and rag weed hit, all of my horrible symptoms came back. Antihistamines do NOTHING for me. I have itchy dry eyes, the top of my mouth itches, my ears itch, my face and back are itchy too. I'm going to continue to take that pill though. I have never experienced depression, anxiety or agitation.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2013 8:14 PM

Review by longbow767 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: I am 63 and have used this for years. Works great for me with no side effects.

September 4, 2013 12:05 PM

Review by Anony.mouse:

Singulair (montelukast) for Hay Fever: I have had allergies and severe chronic nasal congestion on and off for over a decade now. To the point that all over the counter meds don't work. Even paired with a nasal spray I got no relief. About a week ago, what my doctor suggested was to continue using Claritin-D, along with Flonase, and prescribed Singulair as a supplemental. For the first time in a very very long time I slept through the night without waking up gasping because I couldn't breathe due to the congestion and pressure. Also, I am able to work without disturbing my coworkers due to the constant nose blowing, sneezing and coughing.

August 21, 2013 10:35 AM

Review by Loopy-Linda (taken for less than 1 month):

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: I have been on cortisteroids for about 10 years due to asthma and allergies, many times bronchitis and pneumonia. Asthma very bad this year and have increased use of Symbicort up to 8 inhalations per day, usually 4, no better so doctor prescribed Singular on Monday and 4 days later feeling somewhat clearer but producing more sputum, itchy and trouble resting very hyper. I will try to stay on it for another 7 days to see if it settles as per the pharmacist.

August 15, 2013 2:44 PM

Review by CKLeanne (taken for less than 1 month):

Singulair (montelukast) for Hay Fever: I had an allergic reaction to several medications, each including Yellow #6 and Yellow #10 dyes in the gel coating on the medications. The reaction was a rash on my stomach along the waist band of my underwear and my pants, under my bra band, my arm pits. Anywhere there was a lot of warmth on my body or a lot of chafing from clothing. The rash was also darkly pigmented. Each time I stopped a medication that gave me a rash, it took approximately 8-9 weeks for the rash to go away. After figuring out what was causing it, my doctor prescribed Singulair (chewable) combined with Atarax. The Atarax was to help me sleep and keep from scratching at night. After 10 days, the rash is gone. I can stop the medication in another week or so.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 11, 2013 10:31 AM

Review by ravenlady13:

Singulair (montelukast) for Hay Fever: Started taking Singulair with Zyrtec 3 weeks ago for a severe allergy I developed to my 3 pet rabbits. No side effects to speak of (I did have a headache one day, but I don't think it's related) and today I held one of my bunnies for the first time in 6 months without allergy symptoms. Now I don't have to get rid of some beloved family members!

August 2, 2013 12:39 PM

Review by ys (taken for less than 1 month):

For Hay Fever: It helped stop the severe allergy sinus headaches I was getting within days. HOWEVER within about a week I broke out in hives and rash.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 19, 2013 8:45 PM

Review by JoJo619:

Singulair (montelukast) for Hay Fever: I started taking Singulair 2 weeks ago, because of sinus headaches, red itchy eyes and allergies. Also use Zyrtec and Patanol. It has worked great, until I figured out that the stomachache I have had for the last 10 days is because of it. I have stopped the medicine.

June 29, 2013 2:28 PM

Review by Dallas Nadja (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: I was prescribed this for asthma. I suffer from really bad cedar fever which is a problem in Texas. I am a rather slim female and at first my doctor gave me the regular adult dosage. It was too strong. I had heart palpitations and almost called 911 once after taking it. I requested my doctor give me an adolescents strength dosage - which he did. That worked much better. It still is a very strong and it knocked me out, but I didn't have to worry about calling 911 or not waking up from it. Asthma is tough to treat. Medicine is necessary, but sometimes the meds are as bad as the disease. My advice is to start with the lowest dosage your doctor thinks will work. You can always take more if necessary.

June 17, 2013 8:52 PM

Review by Matthew S:

For Asthma: This review will not completely apply to most people as I am bipolar II and am extremely sensitive to some kinds of medicines. It normally takes me a very long time to fall asleep (sometimes until dawn) but once I am I stay asleep and get plenty of rest. On Singulair I once couldn't fall asleep until about 12:00 in the afternoon after going to bed at 11:00 pm the night before, and I would often wake up multiple times while sleeping. My anxiety was much higher, I was significantly more depressed, and my previously very well stabilized mood was once again destabilized. I also had some water retention weight gain. Was absolutely amazing for my asthma though, so I guess that's something. Really wish it played nice with my sleep and bipolar.

June 17, 2013 4:29 AM

Review by texasgirl57 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: Singulair has been a blessing for my asthma. However when I was switched to the generic, in October, all of my asthma symptoms came back. Wheezing, shortness of breath, use of inhaler (which I only used prior to exercise) several times a day. My doctor has written me a prescription for brand Singulair. The pharmacy gave me the three pills they had in stock and ordered the rest to come in tomorrow. I did the same thing a few weeks ago with another pharmacy and their distributor no longer carries the brand. Hopefully this will not happen again tomorrow and I can go back on the brand Singulair. Since the problem with the generic I have been on Prednisone, Symbicort and two nasal spray to try and get my asthma under control.

June 12, 2013 4:42 PM

Review by Captain 231:

For COPD: I have COPD. My lung capacity is down to 40%. My plumanory doctor prescribed Montelukast. I developed a very severe cough. After discontinuing Montelukast the cough disappeared.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 5, 2013 2:52 PM

Review by Asthmatic_Jimmy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: Went to the hospital during an asthma attack. I was only on albuterol, and it was not working during this episode. Long story short I got prescribed Singular. Made me feel very sleepy at first. I could barely get my College work done. After about two months I became very depressed from being so tired, and then became extremely thirsty. I drank two bottles of water every hour and could feel my lungs becoming irritated. I was drinking so much water I was getting nauseous. I then went to my MD and he told me to stop taking it. After three days my thirst went away. After about two weeks I felt myself again. Singular is now listed on my doctors chart under "Medicine allergies".

May 15, 2013 9:20 PM

Review by PrincessH:

Singulair (montelukast) for Hay Fever: Amazing results! I have suffered with extreme allergies for many years. I had tried nasal sprays, over the counter allergy meds, & even took the allergy shot-nothing worked until I started taking Singulair. Now I can actually smell flowers in bloom! I use it in combination with Zyrtec.

May 13, 2013 12:16 AM

Review by nunismama (taken for 10 years or more):

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: I have been on Singulair since it was first on the market. This medication has given me a life that is free of fear from episodes of asthma attacks. Before this medication I was using a steroid inhaler and short acting and long acting. Not to mention the nasal spray and the allergy medication. Five medications versus the one of Singulair plus a fast acting for exercise or shortness of breath.

April 26, 2013 2:20 PM

Review by Trying everything (taken for less than 1 month):

For Hay Fever: I have been having chronic sinus infections due to allergies for the last year and a half. I finally went to an ENT who prescribed this medicine along with my current regimen (Allegra D, Flonaise, Neti Pot). I have been on this medicine for about a week now and I am unusually irritable, and easily aggravated. I can tell that it's getting worse, as today I started developing anxiety along with it. I am not going to take it tonight and call the doctor in the morning. I saw on the label about mood issues and depression, but this is more like taking a stress amplifier. If I had complete relief from the allergies, I would consider continuing, but I haven't noticed an improvement, still have extensive postnasal. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate