User Reviews for Montelukast

Also known as: Singulair

Learn more about Montelukast.

Bronchospasm Prophylaxis 2 reviews 14 medications

6.4
COPD 3 reviews 34 medications

Summary of Montelukast reviews 122 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Montelukast

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I tried other allergy medicine and it was not doing anything at all. I started taking generic singular and it opened my airways right up. I love how well I can breath on this medication however I started having restless legs at night and couldn't sleep. So I stopped taking it. Then I had an allergy test and turned out to be allergic to a lot of things including foods so the Dr. Suggested I go back on the medication. My tummy feels bloated and cramping. I'm back to not sleeping and I don't know if it is because of the drug but I am having menstrual cycle issues. Heavy, cramps and close together. Bottom line it works great but side effects not for everyone."

katSands August 27, 2015

For Asthma: "Only been taking medication for a flare with my asthma. Have taken it for 4 days and am having terrible nightmares and been very shaky. Feel very anxious to."

moodymands (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2015

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "For the last 6 months I have had allergies like never before in my 32 years. Constant nasal congestion and dry coughing. I have been miserable. OTC antihistamines were not cutting it, so My doctor put me on Xyzal and Azelastine back in June. This improved my congestion but after catching a cold in July I ended up with the same symptoms and a dry cough that would not go away. It kept me up at night and I was miserable. He put me on Singulair, and since then the congestion has improved and I can sleep through the night without coughing!"

Amyfromga (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2015

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "I took Singulair for a week because I was having trouble with my asthma and allergies. But I also have anxiety and panic attacks often and Singulair made it so much worse!! Every time I took it my heart would race and even the next morning I would still have a racing heart. I ended up having panic attacks every day and going to the ER twice in a week while on this. I will NEVER take this again, it's very bad for people who have anxiety. My asthma is still bad but it wasn't worth trying because of the side effects."

MayAG (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2015

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I've been stepping up and up since I was diagnosed with asthma. First it was just Ventolin, then we added Clenil Modulite, then Seretide 50/25 at Christmas, up to Seretide 125/25 a few weeks later, adding in Avamys nasal spray for hayfever and Acrivastine for hayfever and Type 1 latex allergy, then finally adding on Montelukast. Sadly, unlike some of the other people on here, I haven't been able to get down to just Montelukast. However, I'd say it's a miracle pill! I play ice hockey and overnight I went from tight chest and coughing and wheezing after hockey (I have CVA so wheezing is weird) to being totally fine. I still struggle if I max out, so I have to change out regularly but I play forward so that's easy enough. It's just great!!!"

servewithmintsauce (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2015

For Asthma: "Thought this med was my answer! I have severe allergies which I am congested all day and makes it hard to sleep at night . This med cleared me up and helped me sleep at night But by the 2nd refill I became irritable, emotional and so moody ! I snapped at people and started having freaky dreams! I took myself off of it even thought it worked for the allergies it wasn't worth it! When I saw my doc and told her she shook her head and said "that's odd I never heard of it doing that "but what I read here validates my experiences! Still can't find Anything that works the way it it did for my allergies!"

Brennatini July 12, 2015

For Asthma: "I had vernal keratoconjunctivitis (VKC) and recovering from it was a very painful experience for me. I was 10 at that time and I wasn't affected much. I had asthma before, montelukast helped me to beat asthma without nebulization and inhalers. With increase in asthma attacks, the intake of montelukast increased. I started to get anxiety, nightmares about various things and my VKC experience haunted me, tremors occured and my chess skills went down. I hate that drug and discontinued it. The increase in dosage ruined me."

Mouli (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 26, 2015

For Asthma: "I just started taking this medicine this month I've taken it before as a child and it seems to be working great for me now but I have been experiencing nightmares for the last week or so which I thought was odd because that's not usual for me but I didn't think it was related to the medicine until I started reading other people's reviews and seeing others have had the same issue. If any one else has experienced the same problem can you please share?"

heathersweets June 23, 2015

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I suffered from asthma for long time, after taking Singular all gone Thank you!"

nloza13 June 18, 2015

For Asthma: "I'm almost done with my first bottle of the 30 day supply and as others mentioned it literally almost feels as though you never had asthma. I haven't had the need to use any of my inhalers or steroids since I took montelukast, but I have noticed that my memory sometimes gets foggy and I have forgotten many things (I'm 21 btw) shortly after taking this medication. I have not noticed any of the side effects that others have experienced so i have yet to find out if they will affect me later on.I decided to get one refill of the med and then come off of it once I'm done since I normally hate depending on meds to live a normal life. I'll be back and explain any issues I experience in the next couple months."

Jack1993 (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2015

For Asthma, Maintenance: "I"ve taken both Singulair and Montekulast. The first time I took Singular, several years ago, I had nightmares filled with horror. I quit taking it. I now take montekulast and still have unusual and eerie dreams, but they are not full of the horror of those of several years ago. I also find it difficult to sleep more than a few hours at a time, partially because of the dreams, which waken me. However, it controls the night coughing better than any other drug I've used, from prednisone to advair. I will continue to take it unless the side effects worsen."

yeats2 June 1, 2015

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "Worst experience of my life by far! First off you can expect to have side affects 4-6 weeks after you last dose. I had to be put on anxiety medication because I became extremely distraught. I had night terrors thoughts of hurting myself and other even my dog. I managed to separate those thoughts from who I knew I was but the emotional impact is so real. I also became paranoid that I was someone I was not! Best advice is first get on an anxiety medication so that you can deal with the daily thoughts. I'm not saying stay on it forever just while you wait out those weeks. Other key thing is have somone you can call 24/7 and talk to about the thoughts that know how you are regularly. Luckly I still have my mother."

Keeping the faith May 4, 2015

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "I use singular every night to help with my allergies and ASTHMA."

Arkjd2011 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 3, 2015

For Asthma: "I started this medicine about 5 years ago. Sometime in December of 2014 I started experiencing terrible separation anxiety, general anxiety, and depression symptoms. After about three months of my boyfriend helping me work though these experiences I remembered that this medicine has possible side effects listed as mood changes. On my last visit to the doctor in the second week of April, my doctor took me off this medicine. Since I stopped my side effects have mostly subsided. I've always been an emotional person but i'm no longer having massive screaming, crying, crippling breakdown. I'm 17, it worked great for my asthma but the cost (my mental health) out weighed the gain."

DaughterOfTheKing1997 April 30, 2015

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Been suffering from ETD for about two years. I've been on Singulair for about 4 months and it has dramatically improved my symptoms, no more ear crackling. Occasional tiredness and headache but it's tolerable. It has helped me tremendously."

Casscadav April 7, 2015

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "Started Singulair approx 1 wk ago. I will say it's an asthma miracle, but the side effects are unreal. I had extreme irritability (out of character for me) severe fatigue when normally active, mood changes, depression, anxiety. I wish doctors would really explain this to new users thanks to all of you who reviewd this medicine and gave me insite on what was going on, that's the reason for my post too. "

Kdugan11 (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2015

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I'm on Singulair for asthma (I've grown out of it mostly) and for allergy/rhinitis maintenance. It works wonders! I also lived in China for two years and it was critical for me managing the monthly colds I would get there. This stuff really keeps congestion and allergies at bay, love it!"

SarahT0908 February 2, 2015

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: "My 6 yr old son has been in and out of the hospital since he was a baby with breathing problems. He was officially diagnosed with asthma when he was 2. He had been flown to a children's hospital and that's where he was diagnosed. He was put on a Flovent inhaler. This cut down on our ER trips, but not totally. We figured out that his asthma attacks were triggered by wind storms, allergy related things etc. They then put him on Singulair. I call it the Magic Pill!!!! We have not been to the ER in 2 years!! No side effects that we can tell. "

Italian Mama (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 22, 2015

For Asthma, Maintenance: "I have had asthma and sinus drainage all my life. I did not like inhalers. This medicine has enabled me to start exercising and stop clearing my throat all the time. I love it!"

Estewart (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 21, 2015

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "This stuff works pretty well, lets me sleep through the night during allergy season."

Tree pollen sufferer (taken for 10 years or more) November 30, 2014

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "I started Singulair 10 weeks ago. Since taking I have absolutely no wheezing and feel great. I have been very ill with asthma for the past 12 mths where I have been unable to come off prednisolone & notice almost straight away when coming off it. I have been able to walk without getting out of breath for the first time in years. I must say my specialist has also at the same time started me on Xovial spray and will ween me off that in a week to see if it is the Singulair making me well!"

Raels (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2014

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: "Had a bad reaction of hives and burning skin to this medicine. Tried it twice, worse reaction second time. Not good."

6Kayem (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2014

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I'm 49 and have suffered from allergic symptoms ever since I was a kid. Unquestionably it has reduced the quality of life. Anti-histimines were basically ineffective although I could significantly reduce my symptoms by a strict diet that was in the making over the last 30 years by observation (try eating foods high in anti oxidants). I do feel much better since taking Singulair, my nasal congestion is much better, feel no side effects. My only regret is not trying it earlier."

say1706 October 27, 2014

For Asthma: "After taking this medicine for 2 months for mild asthma. I noticed a change in my mental health. I have stopped this medicine after linking my side affects to this med. I noticed anxiety , depression, thoughts of hurting myself, dizziness, nausea became oh so real. I have never suffered from these before in my life until this med. I have been off of it for almost 2 weeks and not looking back. Gonna go forward and hope I recover from these side affects. Im sure its great for someone who doesn't get side affects. but its not for me."

Bizket1800 October 8, 2014

For Asthma: "Since taking montelukast for my asthma I can finally breathe freely without constant use of Albuterol inhaler! I use it in combination with Zyrtec for my allergies and I think it is terrific! I call it my miracle!"

lomo (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 21, 2014