User Reviews for Montelukast

Also known as: Singulair

Learn more about Montelukast.

Bronchospasm Prophylaxis 2 reviews 14 medications

6.2
COPD 3 reviews 38 medications

Summary of Montelukast reviews 159 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Montelukast

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Started to get post nasal drip horribly over four months ago. tried every otc drug know for allergies, remove bedroom carpet, bought high end humidifier, air purifier, netti potted and drank four liters of water a day. Nothing helped and i would wake up every hour and a half coughing from mucus build up. This medication stopped my symptoms within 2 days. Its very expensive but worth every penny."

klaaja May 23, 2016

For Asthma: "My daughter is 7 yrs and she had been taken Singular for 4 yrs It worked great. But for the last 3 months my daughter started have extreme anxiety issue over little things to the point where she wasn't herself. Saying things like nobody loves me, I am a bad kid, you should just get rid of me. she was having tantrums, outbursts of disruptive behavior. major mood swings. Crying hysterically at night. I researched and researched in what was causing this behavior and came across side effects of her meds and it was worth a try even though it could alter her health but her mental health I was way more concerned about. By the 5th day of her being off on the meds she was back to her normal loving and positive self.I will never give it to her again"

Angryparent May 21, 2016

For Asthma: "I am now 48 and have been taking Singulair for 2 + years and it is truly a medical drug for allergy induced asthma. I love it! I could not breathe and the phlegm would not move. Now whatever phlegm there is moves very productively and I do not wheeze at night anymore. It saved my life!"

Got allergy asthma at 45 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 19, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Works great but the disturbingly vivid dreams are making me feel exhausted. I stopped taking it for a few days and the dreams stopped. But my breathing worsened. Wish there was something else I could take."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I was prescribed this about four weeks ago as particular of a trial of treatment to help my (as yet) uncontrolled asthma. The nurse said it didn't help everyone and that's true for me- I might as well have been taking sweeties! Unfortunately though I have suffered very badly with side effects- notably depression and suicidal thoughts- which I only realised last night after rereading the patient information. I am glad it's worked for others, but sadly it's not for me..."

Asthma52 May 8, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Singulair causes symptoms in children that look like ADHD or ADD. It causes irritability, aggression, impulsivity, and hyperactivity in children. Before you treat your child for ADHD, try switching to an allergy or asthma medicine that isn't this or a corticosteriod"

ReviewPro (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 2, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I tried Singulair because I have nasal allergies that turn into nasty sinus infections every couple of months. I also have panic disorder, but it's well controlled with medication. I was only able to take Singulair for 4 days due to side effects, so I can't say how well it works. It made me so sleepy that I was sleeping 12-15 hours a day, and still tired when I was awake. I haven't had a panic attack in over a year, and my anxiety went through the roof on this stuff. My panic attacks were so bad, I was having trouble driving. I was also moody and irritable the days I took it. Luckily, all of the negative side effects went away within a couple of days of stopping Singulair. Stay away from this drug if you are prone to anxiety!!!"

StillStuffy (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "I have been taking singulair for almost a year now or more. I usually don't dream , so I haven't noticed any unusual nightmares. Seriously , I can't tell if my anxiety is because of singulair or not . I am anxious by nature and this semester is really stressful and can drive anyone crazy ! I usually think about life , death , why we are here? and this kind of stuff . . DOES THIS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH SINGULAIR ? I really want to find an answer for that .I recommend singulair when you don't have any other choice , but if you have one then absolutely choose it. Sing. is bad but effective."

N.A (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2016

For Asthma: "I have a history of anxiety. I was prescribed Singulair because I have been experiencing the feeling of not getting a satisfying breathe. I've been taking big deep breathes and yawning a lot, with a slightly heavy feeling in my chest.After taking the Singulair two nights, I woke up with a slightly racing heart. This continued to happen every night after, but it wasn't so bad that I felt the need to stop. Then one night, I had had a couple of drinks, then took the medicine a couple hours later and went to bed. I woke up very bundled up, so I was overly hot. My heart was racing like I had been running, the overly hot turned to ice cold, I was covered in sweat, and I ended up vomiting. I will never take it again."

Aataftt April 19, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "Since taking Singulair my condition has improved dramatically. I no longer wheeze and I sleep well. I have been a chronic asthmatic for 54 years. Now I have been given a new lease on life. I am so happy and active. It's an emotional thing after suffering for so long."

Martyn Central Coast April 7, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I have mild asthma that occasionally worsens to be more moderate. I'm another person who has mood effects from taking Singular, and in addition, it's affecting my ability to enjoy certain flavors. It feels like an antihistamine, sort of, causing my mouth to feel dry, and I feel thirsty a lot. I'd live with that, but I am experiencing this weird agitation that's quite uncomfortable. I'm very aware of it, and I'm an adult, not a kid, so I probably won't bite anybody's head off. However, I think it might not be worth it to me and I think I'll stop it for a few days to compare how I feel then with what I'm feeling now."

NorCalM March 27, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Severe dizziness and tiredness had to stop taking after two days :-("

Loub32 March 27, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance: "I have severe asthma in response to animal fur and house dust as well as rhinitus, swollen eyes and skin weals in extreme cases. I obviously avoided these danger areas but found it limiting. I have kept my mild ongoing asthma under control using Ventolin and Seretide over the years and have also had to take one Cetirizine antihistamine a day for the last 10 years for chronic idiopathic urticaria. No one could tell me what it was that was causing the Hives. Recently, I got a dog, did some online research and found Singulair Montelukast. OMG why wasn't this mentioned before. I got my GP to prescribe it. In short...I do not get asthma, I no longer sneeze, my eyes are not itching/swollen and do not have urticaria anymore!!!"

Catherine P March 22, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "This medications was given to me after blue cross and blue shield stop covering levocetirizine which i had taken for 7 years. Singulair is awful. Within 2 days i had nightmares so very vivid that was scary. The dreams would come in few minutes intervals during hours and hours of not being able to sleep at all. By the third day i had tremors in my legs which kept me awake anyways, during the day I thought about nothing then kill myself. By the fourth day i broke out in hives. That's when I stopped it. I would not recommend! I am very healthy athletic person and I love outdoors, this medication was debilitating."

Adair1974 (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance: "Taking montelukast for a week now and I do notice improvement with my asthma. However, the side effects are not worth dealing with. Right away I started having crazy dreams every night while on it. I also felt very anxious. As much as it did help with my asthma, I will not continue to take it. I will be just fine with just the Advir Disk."

orange33 (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance: "It does not prevent my RAD response to my allergens. I now can't afford it. Singulair had allowed me to eat and be around my many other allergens without the cough and nasal drainage. So now I must resort to benadryl at least twice a day and my rescue inhaler twice daily. It is really sad that the insurance is now making it cost prohibitive to get Singulair. This has definitely affected my quality of life."

Mrskimalyn (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I started taking Singular generic brand about a week ago when my allergies got really bad to the point of not being able to function. I was constantly sneezing, running nose, congested at the same time and watering eyes. I am on once a week allergy shots for the past 25 years, run the air filter and keep a clean house with hardwood floors. I have been taking half a pill of Xyzsal for the past couple of years. Now, I took the Singular with the Xyzsal and started having nightmares almost every night. Before, I used to dream often, occasionally had nighmares, but not that often. Now, I have nightmares every night instead of random dreams that I can remember them even when I wake up. My allergies are still bad but tolerable."

mvcheng February 15, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "OMG!! I've been taking singulair for one week. I haven't received my advair from the mail order pharmacy....but, singulair is a miracle. I had shortness of breath (SOB) and tight chest - it felt like I was having angina. Really after the 1st dose I noticed I coughed less. Today I walked all the way from the back parking lot to my floor without stopping or SOB. Didn't even have to use my inhaler. Amazing!"

jolene8992 (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I was prescribed this for allergies, particularly for constant nasal blockage and sinus congestion. My doctor advised that it would take 2-3 weeks to take effect. I took it for over a month and had nothing but issues. First off, it did absolutely nothing for my symptoms. In fact, it made them worse. I went from being stuffy and having sinus pressure to the point of it being very painful. I would wake up in the middle of the night so congested that my nose and sinuses hurt so badly, I had to take Advil. It made me start snoring very loudly, regardless of which position I slept in (probably due to the worsening sinus blockage). Since I stopped taking this, I no longer snore and my allergies, while not gone, are better."

Harley84 February 12, 2016

For Asthma: "I did not feel any great improvement to asthma. Side effects were numerous to me but the ones that were more to disturb the stomach and abdominal pain and diarrhea,"

F.UK February 7, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance: "I didnt see a difference in my 8 yr old's symptoms. she became depressed quickly. she started to say she wanted to die! we discontinued use as soon as we realized it was the meds. now shes happy again"

mad lady February 4, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Within days of starting this medication I became a different person. Anxious, depressed, hopeless. I thought the world had turned against me for some reason and couldn't muster the strength to get dressed in the morning. But the worst part, if you can imagine something worse than constant anxiety, was the fear. It was like being afraid for your life every minute. I began checking the door locks 5 or 6 times because I feared being murdered in my sleep. It was when I was making plans to set up my bed in the closet did I finally have the moment of clarity that this wasn't rational thinking and something was very wrong! Stopped taking Singular and was back to cheerful, sunny, optimistic, confident self in 2 days. Never again!!!"

Beth G (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I am a retired physician. Every winter & spring I suffer with horrible congestive episodes, once becoming so dizzy, I barely could get out of bed just to go to the bathroom. I saw an ENT doc who diagnosed me with vasomotor rhinitis, and stopped my Claritin. Spring came around & I was miserable again. I saw an allergist who did multiple skin testing & concluded I had no allergies-urban irritants caused nasal mucosal swelling resulting in my congestion. When my symptoms got worse, I was sent for a CT scan of my sinuses, & was found to have chronic sinusitis. Every year I still have seasonal recurrences of sinusitis. My new PCP decided to try Singulair (Montelukast) along with antibiotics & I can now breathe out of both nostrils. Yay!"

Dr. Anne B (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2016

For Asthma: "I am 44 and developed an allergy to an unavoidable food. It took a long time to work out what it was that was almost killing me. Constantly on prednisone and other heavy duty meds. Once we worked out the problem we reduced my intake of it as much as possible and started on Montelucast and Nuelin. I have my life back. Some side effects but they mostly pass and since I know what is causing them I am able to rationalise and manage it. The alternative for me was far worse. I would have died."

ManaNZ (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 9, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance: "My GP prescribed it for my 5 year old daughter to prevent further attacks of asthma with the hope to reduce or stop Fluticasone inhaler as she takes high doses of it, but thanks to heaven we have fluticasone. Just few days after Montelukast she became a totally different person with episodes of agitation, rolling in bed for 1 to 2 hours before sleeping, aggressive episodes hitting her littlle brother which she has never had done before this medicine, waking at least 3 times in the middle of night shouting at me to come and be with her because she is afraid and she told me that she feels unhappy with tearful eyes and she doesn't know why. I had to stop it just after two weeks and she started to return to her normality"

desperate father (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2015