User Reviews for Montelukast

Also known as: Singulair

Learn more about Montelukast.

Bronchospasm Prophylaxis 2 reviews 13 medications

COPD 3 reviews 35 medications

Summary of Montelukast reviews 111 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Montelukast

Review by Keeping the faith:

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: Worst experience of my life by far! First off you can expect to have side affects 4-6 weeks after you last dose. I had to be put on anxiety medication because I became extremely distraught. I had night terrors thoughts of hurting myself and other even my dog. I managed to separate those thoughts from who I knew I was but the emotional impact is so real. I also became paranoid that I was someone I was not! Best advice is first get on an anxiety medication so that you can deal with the daily thoughts. I'm not saying stay on it forever just while you wait out those weeks. Other key thing is have somone you can call 24/7 and talk to about the thoughts that know how you are regularly. Luckly I still have my mother.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 4, 2015 9:08 PM

Review by Arkjd2011 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: I use singular every night to help with my allergies and ASTHMA.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 3, 2015 10:42 PM

Review by DaughterOfTheKing1997:

For Asthma: I started this medicine about 5 years ago. Sometime in December of 2014 I started experiencing terrible separation anxiety, general anxiety, and depression symptoms. After about three months of my boyfriend helping me work though these experiences I remembered that this medicine has possible side effects listed as mood changes. On my last visit to the doctor in the second week of April, my doctor took me off this medicine. Since I stopped my side effects have mostly subsided. I've always been an emotional person but i'm no longer having massive screaming, crying, crippling breakdown. I'm 17, it worked great for my asthma but the cost (my mental health) out weighed the gain.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 30, 2015 9:28 AM

Review by Casscadav:

Singulair (montelukast) for Hay Fever: Been suffering from ETD for about two years. I've been on Singulair for about 4 months and it has dramatically improved my symptoms, no more ear crackling. Occasional tiredness and headache but it's tolerable. It has helped me tremendously.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 7, 2015 11:17 PM

Review by Kdugan11 (taken for less than 1 month):

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: Started Singulair approx 1 wk ago. I will say it's an asthma miracle, but the side effects are unreal. I had extreme irritability (out of character for me) severe fatigue when normally active, mood changes, depression, anxiety. I wish doctors would really explain this to new users thanks to all of you who reviewd this medicine and gave me insite on what was going on, that's the reason for my post too.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 31, 2015 12:25 PM

Review by SarahT0908:

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: I'm on Singulair for asthma (I've grown out of it mostly) and for allergy/rhinitis maintenance. It works wonders! I also lived in China for two years and it was critical for me managing the monthly colds I would get there. This stuff really keeps congestion and allergies at bay, love it!

February 2, 2015 4:10 PM

Review by Italian Mama (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: My 6 yr old son has been in and out of the hospital since he was a baby with breathing problems. He was officially diagnosed with asthma when he was 2. He had been flown to a children's hospital and that's where he was diagnosed. He was put on a Flovent inhaler. This cut down on our ER trips, but not totally. We figured out that his asthma attacks were triggered by wind storms, allergy related things etc. They then put him on Singulair. I call it the Magic Pill!!!! We have not been to the ER in 2 years!! No side effects that we can tell.

January 22, 2015 2:10 AM

Review by Estewart (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Asthma, Maintenance: I have had asthma and sinus drainage all my life. I did not like inhalers. This medicine has enabled me to start exercising and stop clearing my throat all the time. I love it!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 21, 2015 6:29 PM

Review by Tree pollen sufferer (taken for 10 years or more):

Singulair (montelukast) for Hay Fever: This stuff works pretty well, lets me sleep through the night during allergy season.

November 30, 2014 6:34 PM

Review by Raels (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: I started Singulair 10 weeks ago. Since taking I have absolutely no wheezing and feel great. I have been very ill with asthma for the past 12 mths where I have been unable to come off prednisolone & notice almost straight away when coming off it. I have been able to walk without getting out of breath for the first time in years. I must say my specialist has also at the same time started me on Xovial spray and will ween me off that in a week to see if it is the Singulair making me well!

November 12, 2014 5:03 PM

Review by 6Kayem (taken for less than 1 month):

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: Had a bad reaction of hives and burning skin to this medicine. Tried it twice, worse reaction second time. Not good.

November 5, 2014 8:44 PM

Review by say1706:

Singulair (montelukast) for Hay Fever: I'm 49 and have suffered from allergic symptoms ever since I was a kid. Unquestionably it has reduced the quality of life. Anti-histimines were basically ineffective although I could significantly reduce my symptoms by a strict diet that was in the making over the last 30 years by observation (try eating foods high in anti oxidants). I do feel much better since taking Singulair, my nasal congestion is much better, feel no side effects. My only regret is not trying it earlier.

October 27, 2014 12:38 PM

Review by Bizket1800:

For Asthma: After taking this medicine for 2 months for mild asthma. I noticed a change in my mental health. I have stopped this medicine after linking my side affects to this med. I noticed anxiety , depression, thoughts of hurting myself, dizziness, nausea became oh so real. I have never suffered from these before in my life until this med. I have been off of it for almost 2 weeks and not looking back. Gonna go forward and hope I recover from these side affects. Im sure its great for someone who doesn't get side affects. but its not for me.

October 8, 2014 1:17 PM

Review by lomo (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Asthma: Since taking montelukast for my asthma I can finally breathe freely without constant use of Albuterol inhaler! I use it in combination with Zyrtec for my allergies and I think it is terrific! I call it my miracle!

July 21, 2014 2:15 PM

Review by GreenSubmarine:

For Asthma, Maintenance: I've had asthma all my life and after 14 years, montelukast was introduced to aid my other medication. For a year and a half my asthma was controlled, and then my dosage was doubled because I turned 16. After the increased dosage, my mental health worsened, and after dealing with terrible anxiety and depression for 18 months, I realised that it fitted with the time period that I'd been taking this and was worsened with increased dosage. It had all been side effects. The extra montelukast was a tipping point in my mental health and I became suicidal. I stopped using this immediately and my parents got me help, after 6 months I had recovered. I share this in the hope that it prevents the same thing from happening.

May 2, 2014 7:09 PM

Review by LeahInTabor:

For Hay Fever: I have allergies generally. My life has been hell for the last year. In three days, since I started this, I felt better than I have in ages. My only problem with it is that I don't fall asleep before three without a little help and I'm always HOT. I can handle those two things though, because I feel decent.

April 11, 2014 2:24 AM

Review by Mandie161312 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: After years on inhalers, my doctor gave me this & I hardly ever have to use an inhaler anymore

January 28, 2014 11:35 PM

Review by Ida van Rensburg (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: I was on Singulair for about a year, when my medical aid would all of a sudden only pay for Tropaz (I believe it is a generic). Tropaz was equally effective, but after about six months of use I developed terribly dry and burning lips. I went of Tropaz for about six months, and started using it again. My lips were fine and for a couple of months I had no side-effects. The medical aid then changed from Tropaz to Minair and within 2 two months I had a disastrous allergen of hives and welts.

January 21, 2014 6:31 AM

Review by Ren85 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Asthma: I'm 28 & have asthma. I tried Singulair a few years ago, which helped my asthma & allergies. I recently began to have asthma flare ups again & started taking the generic. This time I am noticing side effects. I have frequent headaches, which may or may not be from the medicine, but could be from lack of sleep that I definitely attribute to this medicine. I get so exhausted but can't fall asleep until sometimes 6 am, then walk around like a zombie the next day only to repeat the pattern. I am prone to depression but have not noticed it worsening. I am not a crier but now tear up over everything, happy or sad. I have sharp pain in my ears. Dry eyes.

December 13, 2013 4:11 AM

Review by stcarolyn (taken for 10 years or more):

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: Thank God for Singulair. I got my life back. My asthma was so bad I was afraid to go anywhere without my nebulizer. Now my asthma is almost non-existent. I have no side effects and feel great. I just wish I would have had this medicine many years earlier, it would have saved many trips to the emergency room and much suffering and panic.

November 29, 2013 3:23 PM

Review by Judi,Aussie:

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: Have been on Singulair since it came on the market in Aust years ago. I call it my Magic pill with no obvious side effects despite having many other allergies. I didn't find it helped my hay fever though so take 1/2an antihistamine as well in summer when humid and winter when smoke from fires around. I went from high dose cortisone puffers and using Ventolin most of the day still being breathless and wheezing all the time to breathing free within 4 days of starting and off all puffers within the week. Due to cost about a year in was running out so cut down to 1/2 tablet which still left me free of the asthma so then tried a 1/4 and found this still worked, so have continued on this since then. ( to be continued as not enough space)

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 29, 2013 3:21 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Asthma, Maintenance: My doctor put me on this hoping it would help a chronic cough that I have had for the past four months. While I think it is helping, the side effects are just too strong for me. I take the medication at night since it makes me tired but the sleepiness lasts all day. However I am not getting much sleep because I keep having strange dreams that wake me up all night long. On top of that, I have started to have anxiety.

October 10, 2013 3:51 PM

Review by Tiffy R.:

For Hay Fever: I've been on this pill for about a year now. I was doing GREAT in the spring and summer times but as soon as the mold and rag weed hit, all of my horrible symptoms came back. Antihistamines do NOTHING for me. I have itchy dry eyes, the top of my mouth itches, my ears itch, my face and back are itchy too. I'm going to continue to take that pill though. I have never experienced depression, anxiety or agitation.

September 18, 2013 8:14 PM

Review by longbow767 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: I am 63 and have used this for years. Works great for me with no side effects.

September 4, 2013 12:05 PM

Review by Anony.mouse:

Singulair (montelukast) for Hay Fever: I have had allergies and severe chronic nasal congestion on and off for over a decade now. To the point that all over the counter meds don't work. Even paired with a nasal spray I got no relief. About a week ago, what my doctor suggested was to continue using Claritin-D, along with Flonase, and prescribed Singulair as a supplemental. For the first time in a very very long time I slept through the night without waking up gasping because I couldn't breathe due to the congestion and pressure. Also, I am able to work without disturbing my coworkers due to the constant nose blowing, sneezing and coughing.

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 21, 2013 10:35 AM