User Reviews for Montelukast

Also known as: Singulair

Learn more about Montelukast.

Montelukast Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 251 medications used in the treatment of Asthma.

Reviews for Montelukast to treat Asthma

Singulair (montelukast): "I have been taking singulair for almost a year now or more. I usually don't dream , so I haven't noticed any unusual nightmares. Seriously , I can't tell if my anxiety is because of singulair or not . I am anxious by nature and this semester is really stressful and can drive anyone crazy ! I usually think about life , death , why we are here? and this kind of stuff . . DOES THIS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH SINGULAIR ? I really want to find an answer for that .I recommend singulair when you don't have any other choice , but if you have one then absolutely choose it. Sing. is bad but effective."

N.A (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2016

"I have a history of anxiety. I was prescribed Singulair because I have been experiencing the feeling of not getting a satisfying breathe. I've been taking big deep breathes and yawning a lot, with a slightly heavy feeling in my chest.After taking the Singulair two nights, I woke up with a slightly racing heart. This continued to happen every night after, but it wasn't so bad that I felt the need to stop. Then one night, I had had a couple of drinks, then took the medicine a couple hours later and went to bed. I woke up very bundled up, so I was overly hot. My heart was racing like I had been running, the overly hot turned to ice cold, I was covered in sweat, and I ended up vomiting. I will never take it again."

Aataftt April 19, 2016

Singulair (montelukast): "Since taking Singulair my condition has improved dramatically. I no longer wheeze and I sleep well. I have been a chronic asthmatic for 54 years. Now I have been given a new lease on life. I am so happy and active. It's an emotional thing after suffering for so long."

Martyn Central Coast April 7, 2016

Singulair (montelukast): "OMG!! I've been taking singulair for one week. I haven't received my advair from the mail order pharmacy....but, singulair is a miracle. I had shortness of breath (SOB) and tight chest - it felt like I was having angina. Really after the 1st dose I noticed I coughed less. Today I walked all the way from the back parking lot to my floor without stopping or SOB. Didn't even have to use my inhaler. Amazing!"

jolene8992 (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2016

"I did not feel any great improvement to asthma. Side effects were numerous to me but the ones that were more to disturb the stomach and abdominal pain and diarrhea,"

F.UK February 7, 2016

"I am 44 and developed an allergy to an unavoidable food. It took a long time to work out what it was that was almost killing me. Constantly on prednisone and other heavy duty meds. Once we worked out the problem we reduced my intake of it as much as possible and started on Montelucast and Nuelin. I have my life back. Some side effects but they mostly pass and since I know what is causing them I am able to rationalise and manage it. The alternative for me was far worse. I would have died."

ManaNZ (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 9, 2016

"My doctor was aware of my history of and treatment for anxiety and panic attacks when she prescribed this for me. She directed that it be taken in the evening before bed and I don't know why that is. There have been 2 or 3 times when I forgot to take it, so I took it the next morning. I found that on the following nights, I had very strange dreams, woke to a panic attack, and had difficulty going back to sleep. Since I have put that together, I have made sure to take the medicine at night and I haven't had any more problems."

vineskm September 23, 2015

"i was prescribed this drug for allergies and wheezing. The first couple weeks I noticed the wheezing stopped but I became very agitated and aggressive. Then I started waking up with panic attacks. When I stopped taking it my face swelled up. This medicine also made me very nauseas and gave me horrible stomach cramps. I had to stop it after a month."

Mjd618 September 22, 2015

"This medicine was poison to me. I had it prescribed to me following a mild allergic reaction to a bug bite. I have suffered from mild anxiety in the past, but within a month of taking Singulair, I went from mild to severe. Panic attacks, crying for no reason, racing thoughts, overall feelings of hopelessness. I was at the end of my rope after a particularly bad panic attack when my husband suggested it might be my medication. At first I didn't believe it, because it was an allergy medicine...how bad could it be? Imagine my surprise when I looked it up and saw there are many, many people suffering the exact same side effects as me! I immediately stopped taking the drug, and now 48 hours later I can't even believe how normal I feel. Sure, the allergies are back but I'll be thankful for every sneeze if it means I don't have to suffer the psychological effects of this drug. I would strongly caution anyone considering to take this medicine (especially if it is for a child) to do your research beforehand and make sure someone you love is monitoring your behavior. For me, it was a terrifying drug and I am so glad I listened to my husband."

Xxoo (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2015

"Only been taking medication for a flare with my asthma. Have taken it for 4 days and am having terrible nightmares and been very shaky. Feel very anxious to."

moodymands (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2015

Singulair (montelukast): "I took Singulair for a week because I was having trouble with my asthma and allergies. But I also have anxiety and panic attacks often and Singulair made it so much worse!! Every time I took it my heart would race and even the next morning I would still have a racing heart. I ended up having panic attacks every day and going to the ER twice in a week while on this. I will NEVER take this again, it's very bad for people who have anxiety. My asthma is still bad but it wasn't worth trying because of the side effects."

MayAG (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2015

"Thought this med was my answer! I have severe allergies which I am congested all day and makes it hard to sleep at night . This med cleared me up and helped me sleep at night But by the 2nd refill I became irritable, emotional and so moody ! I snapped at people and started having freaky dreams! I took myself off of it even thought it worked for the allergies it wasn't worth it! When I saw my doc and told her she shook her head and said "that's odd I never heard of it doing that "but what I read here validates my experiences! Still can't find Anything that works the way it it did for my allergies!"

Brennatini July 12, 2015

"I had vernal keratoconjunctivitis (VKC) and recovering from it was a very painful experience for me. I was 10 at that time and I wasn't affected much. I had asthma before, montelukast helped me to beat asthma without nebulization and inhalers. With increase in asthma attacks, the intake of montelukast increased. I started to get anxiety, nightmares about various things and my VKC experience haunted me, tremors occured and my chess skills went down. I hate that drug and discontinued it. The increase in dosage ruined me."

Mouli (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 26, 2015

"I just started taking this medicine this month I've taken it before as a child and it seems to be working great for me now but I have been experiencing nightmares for the last week or so which I thought was odd because that's not usual for me but I didn't think it was related to the medicine until I started reading other people's reviews and seeing others have had the same issue. If any one else has experienced the same problem can you please share?"

heathersweets June 23, 2015

"I'm almost done with my first bottle of the 30 day supply and as others mentioned it literally almost feels as though you never had asthma. I haven't had the need to use any of my inhalers or steroids since I took montelukast, but I have noticed that my memory sometimes gets foggy and I have forgotten many things (I'm 21 btw) shortly after taking this medication. I have not noticed any of the side effects that others have experienced so i have yet to find out if they will affect me later on.I decided to get one refill of the med and then come off of it once I'm done since I normally hate depending on meds to live a normal life. I'll be back and explain any issues I experience in the next couple months."

Jack1993 (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2015

Singulair (montelukast): "Worst experience of my life by far! First off you can expect to have side affects 4-6 weeks after you last dose. I had to be put on anxiety medication because I became extremely distraught. I had night terrors thoughts of hurting myself and other even my dog. I managed to separate those thoughts from who I knew I was but the emotional impact is so real. I also became paranoid that I was someone I was not! Best advice is first get on an anxiety medication so that you can deal with the daily thoughts. I'm not saying stay on it forever just while you wait out those weeks. Other key thing is have somone you can call 24/7 and talk to about the thoughts that know how you are regularly. Luckly I still have my mother."

Keeping the faith May 4, 2015

Singulair (montelukast): "I use singular every night to help with my allergies and ASTHMA."

Arkjd2011 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 3, 2015

"I started this medicine about 5 years ago. Sometime in December of 2014 I started experiencing terrible separation anxiety, general anxiety, and depression symptoms. After about three months of my boyfriend helping me work though these experiences I remembered that this medicine has possible side effects listed as mood changes. On my last visit to the doctor in the second week of April, my doctor took me off this medicine. Since I stopped my side effects have mostly subsided. I've always been an emotional person but i'm no longer having massive screaming, crying, crippling breakdown. I'm 17, it worked great for my asthma but the cost (my mental health) out weighed the gain."

DaughterOfTheKing1997 April 30, 2015

Singulair (montelukast): "Started Singulair approx 1 wk ago. I will say it's an asthma miracle, but the side effects are unreal. I had extreme irritability (out of character for me) severe fatigue when normally active, mood changes, depression, anxiety. I wish doctors would really explain this to new users thanks to all of you who reviewd this medicine and gave me insite on what was going on, that's the reason for my post too. "

Kdugan11 (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2015

Singulair (montelukast): "I started Singulair 10 weeks ago. Since taking I have absolutely no wheezing and feel great. I have been very ill with asthma for the past 12 mths where I have been unable to come off prednisolone & notice almost straight away when coming off it. I have been able to walk without getting out of breath for the first time in years. I must say my specialist has also at the same time started me on Xovial spray and will ween me off that in a week to see if it is the Singulair making me well!"

Raels (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2014

"After taking this medicine for 2 months for mild asthma. I noticed a change in my mental health. I have stopped this medicine after linking my side affects to this med. I noticed anxiety , depression, thoughts of hurting myself, dizziness, nausea became oh so real. I have never suffered from these before in my life until this med. I have been off of it for almost 2 weeks and not looking back. Gonna go forward and hope I recover from these side affects. Im sure its great for someone who doesn't get side affects. but its not for me."

Bizket1800 October 8, 2014

"Since taking montelukast for my asthma I can finally breathe freely without constant use of Albuterol inhaler! I use it in combination with Zyrtec for my allergies and I think it is terrific! I call it my miracle!"

lomo (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 21, 2014

Singulair (montelukast): "After years on inhalers, my doctor gave me this & I hardly ever have to use an inhaler anymore"

Mandie161312 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 28, 2014

Singulair (montelukast): "I was on Singulair for about a year, when my medical aid would all of a sudden only pay for Tropaz (I believe it is a generic). Tropaz was equally effective, but after about six months of use I developed terribly dry and burning lips. I went of Tropaz for about six months, and started using it again. My lips were fine and for a couple of months I had no side-effects. The medical aid then changed from Tropaz to Minair and within 2 two months I had a disastrous allergen of hives and welts."

Ida van Rensburg (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 21, 2014

"I'm 28 & have asthma. I tried Singulair a few years ago, which helped my asthma & allergies. I recently began to have asthma flare ups again & started taking the generic. This time I am noticing side effects. I have frequent headaches, which may or may not be from the medicine, but could be from lack of sleep that I definitely attribute to this medicine. I get so exhausted but can't fall asleep until sometimes 6 am, then walk around like a zombie the next day only to repeat the pattern. I am prone to depression but have not noticed it worsening. I am not a crier but now tear up over everything, happy or sad. I have sharp pain in my ears. Dry eyes. "

Ren85 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2013