User Reviews for Montelukast

Also known as: Singulair

Learn more about Montelukast.

Montelukast review summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 245 medications used in the treatment of Asthma.

Reviews for Montelukast to treat Asthma

Review by Bizket1800:

After taking this medicine for 2 months for mild asthma. I noticed a change in my mental health. I have stopped this medicine after linking my side affects to this med. I noticed anxiety , depression, thoughts of hurting myself, dizziness, nausea became oh so real. I have never suffered from these before in my life until this med. I have been off of it for almost 2 weeks and not looking back. Gonna go forward and hope I recover from these side affects. Im sure its great for someone who doesn't get side affects. but its not for me.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2014 1:17 PM

Review by lomo (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Since taking montelukast for my asthma I can finally breathe freely without constant use of Albuterol inhaler! I use it in combination with Zyrtec for my allergies and I think it is terrific! I call it my miracle!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 21, 2014 2:15 PM

Review by Mandie161312 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Singulair (montelukast): After years on inhalers, my doctor gave me this & I hardly ever have to use an inhaler anymore

January 28, 2014 11:35 PM

Review by Ida van Rensburg (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Singulair (montelukast): I was on Singulair for about a year, when my medical aid would all of a sudden only pay for Tropaz (I believe it is a generic). Tropaz was equally effective, but after about six months of use I developed terribly dry and burning lips. I went of Tropaz for about six months, and started using it again. My lips were fine and for a couple of months I had no side-effects. The medical aid then changed from Tropaz to Minair and within 2 two months I had a disastrous allergen of hives and welts.

January 21, 2014 6:31 AM

Review by Ren85 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'm 28 & have asthma. I tried Singulair a few years ago, which helped my asthma & allergies. I recently began to have asthma flare ups again & started taking the generic. This time I am noticing side effects. I have frequent headaches, which may or may not be from the medicine, but could be from lack of sleep that I definitely attribute to this medicine. I get so exhausted but can't fall asleep until sometimes 6 am, then walk around like a zombie the next day only to repeat the pattern. I am prone to depression but have not noticed it worsening. I am not a crier but now tear up over everything, happy or sad. I have sharp pain in my ears. Dry eyes.

December 13, 2013 4:11 AM

Review by stcarolyn (taken for 10 years or more):

Singulair (montelukast): Thank God for Singulair. I got my life back. My asthma was so bad I was afraid to go anywhere without my nebulizer. Now my asthma is almost non-existent. I have no side effects and feel great. I just wish I would have had this medicine many years earlier, it would have saved many trips to the emergency room and much suffering and panic.

November 29, 2013 3:23 PM

Review by longbow767 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Singulair (montelukast): I am 63 and have used this for years. Works great for me with no side effects.

September 4, 2013 12:05 PM

Review by Dallas Nadja (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Singulair (montelukast): I was prescribed this for asthma. I suffer from really bad cedar fever which is a problem in Texas. I am a rather slim female and at first my doctor gave me the regular adult dosage. It was too strong. I had heart palpitations and almost called 911 once after taking it. I requested my doctor give me an adolescents strength dosage - which he did. That worked much better. It still is a very strong and it knocked me out, but I didn't have to worry about calling 911 or not waking up from it. Asthma is tough to treat. Medicine is necessary, but sometimes the meds are as bad as the disease. My advice is to start with the lowest dosage your doctor thinks will work. You can always take more if necessary.

June 17, 2013 8:52 PM

Review by Matthew S:

This review will not completely apply to most people as I am bipolar II and am extremely sensitive to some kinds of medicines. It normally takes me a very long time to fall asleep (sometimes until dawn) but once I am I stay asleep and get plenty of rest. On Singulair I once couldn't fall asleep until about 12:00 in the afternoon after going to bed at 11:00 pm the night before, and I would often wake up multiple times while sleeping. My anxiety was much higher, I was significantly more depressed, and my previously very well stabilized mood was once again destabilized. I also had some water retention weight gain. Was absolutely amazing for my asthma though, so I guess that's something. Really wish it played nice with my sleep and bipolar.

June 17, 2013 4:29 AM

Review by Asthmatic_Jimmy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Singulair (montelukast): Went to the hospital during an asthma attack. I was only on albuterol, and it was not working during this episode. Long story short I got prescribed Singular. Made me feel very sleepy at first. I could barely get my College work done. After about two months I became very depressed from being so tired, and then became extremely thirsty. I drank two bottles of water every hour and could feel my lungs becoming irritated. I was drinking so much water I was getting nauseous. I then went to my MD and he told me to stop taking it. After three days my thirst went away. After about two weeks I felt myself again. Singular is now listed on my doctors chart under "Medicine allergies".

May 15, 2013 9:20 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I started taking it about a year ago, It has reduced my need for an inhaler but recently I ran out and as I had been experiencing anxiety, I decided to see how I went without it. I immediately noticed a tight chest and wheeziness and I was not anxious at all, but I also noticed I started getting headaches and pins and needles. I then started taking them again and the headaches and pins and needles disappeared but I am curious as to whether they are linked.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 22, 2013 2:54 PM

Review by wagdo:

I started taking montelukast at the beginning of the winter because I would wheeze at night and had a hard time breathing. I have allergies and it just got much worse at night and affected my breathing. I tried Advair and though it helped, I would cough during the day with phlegm and I didn't like taking steroids. I heard of Singulair and asked my allergist to write me a prescription. Well, I have now been taking it for at least 4 or so months and it works great. I am back to my normal self, breathing fine and plus, it helps with my allergies A LOT! This medicine is a life saver for me and I love it! I take it at night and no more wheezing.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 8, 2013 2:49 PM

Review by Craig888:

Singulair (montelukast): I found it really helped my asthma and has made a big difference in the quality of my life. However what I would say is that it did cause mood changes with me, these were very noticeable for the first few weeks it felt like I had drunk 10 tins of red bull. I was very confrontational; this subsided greatly though and in some ways made me more confident. I never take the tablets in a morning though always at night, or I will kick off for the slightest thing, which is totally out of character for me.

January 23, 2013 6:09 PM

Review by preocupada (taken for less than 1 month):

Singulair (montelukast): Very Good for asthma and allergies but my mood changed for the worse. I woke up angry for no reason and very irritable. Made my anxiety worse too. I stopped it.

January 21, 2013 11:27 PM

Review by PatrickJoseph (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Singulair (montelukast): Singulair is an effective medicine -- but can have significant side effects. I experience a foggy head and depressed mood. I have also experienced muscle cramps in my back while on this. I have noticed in reading through the comments that quite a few people are suffering with some for of side effect from this medicine. One recommendation: I talked to my doctor about cutting he dose in half, from 10 mg to 5 mg. I now take a childrens 5 mg tablet. I still get relief but don't experience the same level of side effects.

November 10, 2012 10:16 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Singulair (montelukast): This really did help with my allergies and asthma symptoms I sometimes experienced. I took this for 2 years and never on a daily basis, but as needed (when my allergies would act up). It took me a while to figure this out, but I have now determined that when taking this medicine, I am very lethargic the next day, depressed feeling, and extremely agitated. For a while I had just concluded I was a moody person, but after taking one, seeing how I felt, and then going off of it, I put two and two together. Literally the next day without the pill, I feel back to my old self. So though it did help for allergies, for me the pros don't outweigh the cons.

September 21, 2012 8:58 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Singulair (montelukast): We are trying it since our 7 month old son had RSV and has chronic lung issues and asthma problems since. It is working very well. He has also been exposed several times to hand, foot, and mouth disease (coxsackie virus) and has only had a couple of blisters so I think it helped him not break out as bad. Something worth researching.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 22, 2012 8:35 PM

Singulair (montelukast): Caused anxiety and panic attacks

April 11, 2012 12:46 AM

Singulair (montelukast): My 4 year old was put on this medicine 4 months ago and it really seems to be working for him and his Asthma, but after reading other reviews realise that I need to keep an eye on his behaviour which does worry me as he is the most lovely 4 year old ever. Time will tell I guess.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 14, 2011 7:47 AM

Singulair (montelukast): This medicine has changed my life. I am a very active teenager, with almost the worst asthma imaginable. I couldn't even run 100m without wheezing and feeling like I was going to have an attach. This was very hard on my competitive soccer as well. But last spring my doctor prescribes singular to me and everything changed. Now I can run for a full hour without coughing or wheezing, and I only have to use my fast active relief when I am sprinting. The medicine started working in just a few days. Best medicine out there.

November 20, 2011 11:52 AM

Review by MxV:

Singulair (montelukast): I recently was on Prednisone for over a week because I could barely breathe (in spite of taking 500mg of Advair 2/day and Maxair several times a day). Towards the end of my steroids I was still breathing very poorly, but then I started taking Singulair and immediately my breathing became absolutely normal with not one hint of wheezing or breathing difficulty. Also, my nasal allergies/sinuses have improved considerably since I started Singulair. On the other hand, I have noticed pain in my ear (possible ear infection) and my mood appears to be a bit more aggressive than it was before taking the Singulair. Overall, I would highly recommend it.

September 5, 2011 11:48 PM

Review by ledsen:

Singulair (montelukast): My breathing is much easier since I started taking Singulair a few weeks ago. But I am getting occasional cramps in my feet and my hands hurt.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2011 7:08 AM

Review by JJ1985:

Singulair (montelukast): It gives me headaches.

May 7, 2011 3:36 PM

Review by newbie101:

Singulair (montelukast): I have the WORST allergies during spring and nothing has worked. I would wake up every night with asthma and sometimes my abuterol inhaler wouldn't even help me breath or get the mucous up. I might sneeze like 4 times a day instead of every 5 minutes. If my nose gets stuffy I use an all natural homeopathic nasal spray called Bioallers. The combination of these two things makes me feel normal once again! OH and I take Singulair right before bed and it helps me sleep so well. No side effects so far either (been using it a month).

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 31, 2011 9:38 AM

Review by Mommyofasthma:

Singulair (montelukast): My son has had asthma from the beginning, he was placed on Singulair at 18 months. It did seem to help, but he has now developed side effects and we have taken him off of it. He becomes very agitated, and aggressive. He is normally a very calm and sweet child. It took a while to put two and two together. We took him off, and his sweet nature came back. Truthfully, it scared me how much this medicine affected his mood. It works great for asthma, but we won't use it anymore.

October 13, 2010 4:49 AM