User Reviews for Montelukast

Also known as: Singulair

Learn more about Montelukast.

Montelukast Review Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 237 medications used in the treatment of Asthma.

Reviews for Montelukast to treat Asthma

"I had vernal keratoconjunctivitis (VKC) and recovering from it was a very painful experience for me. I was 10 at that time and I wasn't affected much. I had asthma before, montelukast helped me to beat asthma without nebulization and inhalers. With increase in asthma attacks, the intake of montelukast increased. I started to get anxiety, nightmares about various things and my VKC experience haunted me, tremors occured and my chess skills went down. I hate that drug and discontinued it. The increase in dosage ruined me."

Mouli (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 26, 2015

"I just started taking this medicine this month I've taken it before as a child and it seems to be working great for me now but I have been experiencing nightmares for the last week or so which I thought was odd because that's not usual for me but I didn't think it was related to the medicine until I started reading other people's reviews and seeing others have had the same issue. If any one else has experienced the same problem can you please share?"

heathersweets June 23, 2015

"I'm almost done with my first bottle of the 30 day supply and as others mentioned it literally almost feels as though you never had asthma. I haven't had the need to use any of my inhalers or steroids since I took montelukast, but I have noticed that my memory sometimes gets foggy and I have forgotten many things (I'm 21 btw) shortly after taking this medication. I have not noticed any of the side effects that others have experienced so i have yet to find out if they will affect me later on.I decided to get one refill of the med and then come off of it once I'm done since I normally hate depending on meds to live a normal life. I'll be back and explain any issues I experience in the next couple months."

Jack1993 (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2015

Singulair (montelukast): "Worst experience of my life by far! First off you can expect to have side affects 4-6 weeks after you last dose. I had to be put on anxiety medication because I became extremely distraught. I had night terrors thoughts of hurting myself and other even my dog. I managed to separate those thoughts from who I knew I was but the emotional impact is so real. I also became paranoid that I was someone I was not! Best advice is first get on an anxiety medication so that you can deal with the daily thoughts. I'm not saying stay on it forever just while you wait out those weeks. Other key thing is have somone you can call 24/7 and talk to about the thoughts that know how you are regularly. Luckly I still have my mother."

Keeping the faith May 4, 2015

Singulair (montelukast): "I use singular every night to help with my allergies and ASTHMA."

Arkjd2011 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 3, 2015

"I started this medicine about 5 years ago. Sometime in December of 2014 I started experiencing terrible separation anxiety, general anxiety, and depression symptoms. After about three months of my boyfriend helping me work though these experiences I remembered that this medicine has possible side effects listed as mood changes. On my last visit to the doctor in the second week of April, my doctor took me off this medicine. Since I stopped my side effects have mostly subsided. I've always been an emotional person but i'm no longer having massive screaming, crying, crippling breakdown. I'm 17, it worked great for my asthma but the cost (my mental health) out weighed the gain."

DaughterOfTheKing1997 April 30, 2015

Singulair (montelukast): "Started Singulair approx 1 wk ago. I will say it's an asthma miracle, but the side effects are unreal. I had extreme irritability (out of character for me) severe fatigue when normally active, mood changes, depression, anxiety. I wish doctors would really explain this to new users thanks to all of you who reviewd this medicine and gave me insite on what was going on, that's the reason for my post too. "

Kdugan11 (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2015

Singulair (montelukast): "I started Singulair 10 weeks ago. Since taking I have absolutely no wheezing and feel great. I have been very ill with asthma for the past 12 mths where I have been unable to come off prednisolone & notice almost straight away when coming off it. I have been able to walk without getting out of breath for the first time in years. I must say my specialist has also at the same time started me on Xovial spray and will ween me off that in a week to see if it is the Singulair making me well!"

Raels (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2014

"After taking this medicine for 2 months for mild asthma. I noticed a change in my mental health. I have stopped this medicine after linking my side affects to this med. I noticed anxiety , depression, thoughts of hurting myself, dizziness, nausea became oh so real. I have never suffered from these before in my life until this med. I have been off of it for almost 2 weeks and not looking back. Gonna go forward and hope I recover from these side affects. Im sure its great for someone who doesn't get side affects. but its not for me."

Bizket1800 October 8, 2014

"Since taking montelukast for my asthma I can finally breathe freely without constant use of Albuterol inhaler! I use it in combination with Zyrtec for my allergies and I think it is terrific! I call it my miracle!"

lomo (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 21, 2014

Singulair (montelukast): "After years on inhalers, my doctor gave me this & I hardly ever have to use an inhaler anymore"

Mandie161312 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 28, 2014

Singulair (montelukast): "I was on Singulair for about a year, when my medical aid would all of a sudden only pay for Tropaz (I believe it is a generic). Tropaz was equally effective, but after about six months of use I developed terribly dry and burning lips. I went of Tropaz for about six months, and started using it again. My lips were fine and for a couple of months I had no side-effects. The medical aid then changed from Tropaz to Minair and within 2 two months I had a disastrous allergen of hives and welts."

Ida van Rensburg (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 21, 2014

"I'm 28 & have asthma. I tried Singulair a few years ago, which helped my asthma & allergies. I recently began to have asthma flare ups again & started taking the generic. This time I am noticing side effects. I have frequent headaches, which may or may not be from the medicine, but could be from lack of sleep that I definitely attribute to this medicine. I get so exhausted but can't fall asleep until sometimes 6 am, then walk around like a zombie the next day only to repeat the pattern. I am prone to depression but have not noticed it worsening. I am not a crier but now tear up over everything, happy or sad. I have sharp pain in my ears. Dry eyes. "

Ren85 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2013

Singulair (montelukast): "Thank God for Singulair. I got my life back. My asthma was so bad I was afraid to go anywhere without my nebulizer. Now my asthma is almost non-existent. I have no side effects and feel great. I just wish I would have had this medicine many years earlier, it would have saved many trips to the emergency room and much suffering and panic. "

stcarolyn (taken for 10 years or more) November 29, 2013

Singulair (montelukast): "I am 63 and have used this for years. Works great for me with no side effects."

longbow767 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 4, 2013

Singulair (montelukast): "I was prescribed this for asthma. I suffer from really bad cedar fever which is a problem in Texas. I am a rather slim female and at first my doctor gave me the regular adult dosage. It was too strong. I had heart palpitations and almost called 911 once after taking it. I requested my doctor give me an adolescents strength dosage - which he did. That worked much better. It still is a very strong and it knocked me out, but I didn't have to worry about calling 911 or not waking up from it. Asthma is tough to treat. Medicine is necessary, but sometimes the meds are as bad as the disease. My advice is to start with the lowest dosage your doctor thinks will work. You can always take more if necessary."

Dallas Nadja (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2013

"This review will not completely apply to most people as I am bipolar II and am extremely sensitive to some kinds of medicines. It normally takes me a very long time to fall asleep (sometimes until dawn) but once I am I stay asleep and get plenty of rest. On Singulair I once couldn't fall asleep until about 12:00 in the afternoon after going to bed at 11:00 pm the night before, and I would often wake up multiple times while sleeping. My anxiety was much higher, I was significantly more depressed, and my previously very well stabilized mood was once again destabilized. I also had some water retention weight gain. Was absolutely amazing for my asthma though, so I guess that's something. Really wish it played nice with my sleep and bipolar."

Matthew S June 17, 2013

Singulair (montelukast): "Went to the hospital during an asthma attack. I was only on albuterol, and it was not working during this episode. Long story short I got prescribed Singular. Made me feel very sleepy at first. I could barely get my College work done. After about two months I became very depressed from being so tired, and then became extremely thirsty. I drank two bottles of water every hour and could feel my lungs becoming irritated. I was drinking so much water I was getting nauseous. I then went to my MD and he told me to stop taking it. After three days my thirst went away. After about two weeks I felt myself again. Singular is now listed on my doctors chart under "Medicine allergies"."

Asthmatic_Jimmy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2013

"I started taking it about a year ago, It has reduced my need for an inhaler but recently I ran out and as I had been experiencing anxiety, I decided to see how I went without it. I immediately noticed a tight chest and wheeziness and I was not anxious at all, but I also noticed I started getting headaches and pins and needles. I then started taking them again and the headaches and pins and needles disappeared but I am curious as to whether they are linked."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 22, 2013

"I started taking montelukast at the beginning of the winter because I would wheeze at night and had a hard time breathing. I have allergies and it just got much worse at night and affected my breathing. I tried Advair and though it helped, I would cough during the day with phlegm and I didn't like taking steroids. I heard of Singulair and asked my allergist to write me a prescription. Well, I have now been taking it for at least 4 or so months and it works great. I am back to my normal self, breathing fine and plus, it helps with my allergies A LOT! This medicine is a life saver for me and I love it! I take it at night and no more wheezing."

wagdo April 8, 2013

Singulair (montelukast): "I found it really helped my asthma and has made a big difference in the quality of my life. However what I would say is that it did cause mood changes with me, these were very noticeable for the first few weeks it felt like I had drunk 10 tins of red bull. I was very confrontational; this subsided greatly though and in some ways made me more confident. I never take the tablets in a morning though always at night, or I will kick off for the slightest thing, which is totally out of character for me. "

Craig888 January 23, 2013

Singulair (montelukast): "Very Good for asthma and allergies but my mood changed for the worse. I woke up angry for no reason and very irritable. Made my anxiety worse too. I stopped it."

preocupada (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2013

Singulair (montelukast): "Singulair is an effective medicine -- but can have significant side effects. I experience a foggy head and depressed mood. I have also experienced muscle cramps in my back while on this. I have noticed in reading through the comments that quite a few people are suffering with some for of side effect from this medicine. One recommendation: I talked to my doctor about cutting he dose in half, from 10 mg to 5 mg. I now take a childrens 5 mg tablet. I still get relief but don't experience the same level of side effects."

PatrickJoseph (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 10, 2012

Singulair (montelukast): "This really did help with my allergies and asthma symptoms I sometimes experienced. I took this for 2 years and never on a daily basis, but as needed (when my allergies would act up). It took me a while to figure this out, but I have now determined that when taking this medicine, I am very lethargic the next day, depressed feeling, and extremely agitated. For a while I had just concluded I was a moody person, but after taking one, seeing how I felt, and then going off of it, I put two and two together. Literally the next day without the pill, I feel back to my old self. So though it did help for allergies, for me the pros don't outweigh the cons."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 21, 2012

Singulair (montelukast): "We are trying it since our 7 month old son had RSV and has chronic lung issues and asthma problems since. It is working very well. He has also been exposed several times to hand, foot, and mouth disease (coxsackie virus) and has only had a couple of blisters so I think it helped him not break out as bad. Something worth researching."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2012