User Reviews for Metoprolol

Also known as: Lopressor, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Toprol-XL

Learn more about Metoprolol.

Metoprolol Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 36 medications used in the treatment of Supraventricular Tachycardia.

Reviews for Metoprolol to treat Supraventricular Tachycardia

"I started taking 50mg and it worked well for about 6 months. Then my flutters started again from my SVT and rapid heart rate. I was switched to 100mg once a day. This med caused me to be quite tired/fatigued. In the beginning I was also dizzy but that eventually went away almost completely. The sleepiness has not gone away but it's manageable. The good it does for my heart outweighs the side effects for me."

SVT Mommy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 25, 2016

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "Took it for about a month and a half after being diagnosed with SVT. No episodes but had 2-3 episodes of fuzziness/confusion while trying to work. Dr switched me to Diltiazem."

Dawn314 November 22, 2015

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "I wanted to add on a couple things to my previous review. Everyone warned me about how tired I was going to be since this medication would literally be slowing my heart down but I've never experienced that. I don't sleep much and have insomnia so that could be why. I also have experienced crazy dreams and I sleep walk from time to time. I've always had dreams and talked in my sleep but I think the medication makes it a little worse especially if you're taking it closer to bed time. I do get a little light headed if I stand up quick and bend down but it's not bad. The benefit I get from this medication outweighs any of these insignificant side effects. I would recommend to push through any side effects and let the medication adapt to you!"

JR44933 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 17, 2015

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "I'm a 22 year old Female. (115/5'1) Long story short, I found out I had Tachycardia and experienced palpitations as well. I had extreme anxiety because of it which made it worse. I got prescribed Metoprolol Tartrate twice a day at first and it was a nightmare. It actually had like a reverse reaction on me and gave me constant flutters for a whole day. The doctor told me to take Magnesium twice a day with it and it would help and it definitely did. I eventually switched to the extended release, once a day, along with Magnesium and I couldn't be happier. I feel a lot more relaxed and normal. Had few palps still with Tartrate but not with Succinate (yet). I wanted to wait to write a review because I know I relied on reviews. Hope this helps!"

J4493 November 13, 2015

"I am a 20 year old female (yes, 20) and I am taking it for SVT. I take 75 mg twice daily, every 12 hours. Right after I take it, my heart rate increases and I get major anxiety. At night it's when it's worse. During the day, I'm perfectly fine. I also have chest pains and SOB, sometimes back pain. I also have heavy legs. Headaches are a definite. I am not wearing the Event Mintor to track my heart rate. It can get high, which can be scary because you don't know what could happen next. Some sleepless night and early morning wakes with anxiety. It sucks because when I have these panic attacks, I can tell when it's about to start so I brace myself. But I tell myself that Jesus is going to heal my body every day."

StephanieGully October 1, 2015

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): "I've been on Toprol XL for 15 years ..started on 50 mg once per day then dropped to 25 mg ..experienced symptoms again then was changed to bystolic but only for a short time ..the doc said toprol was more for my problem so changed back and now on toprol xl 50 mg per day again ..I tried the generic 4 times and always have to take the brand .The genetic didn't work for me after the fourth day of trying it...but now I have severe dizziness floating and faint feeling spells that are worser with my period and noticed my blood pressure getting very low when resting 87/54 or 85/58...so I'm debating on going back to 25 mg per day ..anyone had this experience with Toprol xl?"

mbrannen590gmail.com September 23, 2015

"I was diagnosed with SVT following complications from a vaginal hysterectomy at age 58 (pulmonary embolism, pelvic hematoma and pneumonia). ER diagnosed it as A-fib; cardiologist later said SVT following 48 hr. Holter monitor and echocardiogram. Started me on 25 mg once a day which I take at night. Have been taking about a month and it is working well. Heart racing if I have it is not noticeable; pounding heart occasionally but tolerable and minor compared to what it was previously. Recommended going up to 50 mg but I am going to keep trying at this dose longer. No noticeable side effects, no weight gain or sleepiness."

Laura G. in Mi February 5, 2015

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "I was having heart palpitations everyday to the point where it was really scary for me. Sometimes flutters, other times skipped beats and still others I can't explain. Had holter monitor and stress test all came back fine, cardiologist told me nothing to worry about. Gave me this med 25 mg a day 1/2 tab am and 1/2 pm. First week, tightness in my chest felt hard it was hard to breath and it made me extremely sleepy and spacy. Almost stopped taking med but I continued into my 2nd week after my Dr told me to continue side effects would subside. I am so glad I took his advice, it's been 2 months and my palitations have subsided I get a few here and there but not as intense. This was a miracle drug for me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2015

"Started having Tachycardia a few months ago and was put on this medicine...so far so good. Definitely has slowed down the heart rate, and at the end of its extended release period, I feel like I need to take another one....my older sister also takes it for heart flutters and her Cardiologist said that they should put it in the water supply...it's good for everyone's heart."

ddranch January 19, 2015

"I was started on this medicine after a trip to the ER. I have been dealing with Supraventricular Tachycardia my whole life, and at 49 it finally came to this point. Since starting the metoprolol, I have had heart flutters every day, all throughout the day, as well as some chest tightness, which I previously have not had. It also caused sun sensitivity and increased/extreme sweating. Although I have not had another serious attack, the side effects way outweigh any benefit for me. I decided to stop taking the metoprolol, and the heart flutter has greatly decreased, as well as the sweating. Next step for me is an ablation."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 10, 2014

"I started having really bad tachycardia episodes and my primary doctor tried to convince me it was anxiety. After lots of tests and wearing a heart monitor for a month my cardiologist said I had Supraventricular Tachycardia and I was put on metoprolol 12.5mg twice a day. It's great! I haven't felt this calm and comfortable in years! Doctors really need to stop assuming that anxiety is the diagnosis of everyone's problems. There's a bit of drowsiness and fatigue in the beginning but that goes away as your body gets used to it. I am very happy with this medication."

Happy23554 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2014

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"EFFECTIVE. VERY CALMING EFFECT, 4 MONTHS NO SIDE EFFECTS OTHER THAN VERY TIRED ON 50mg DAILY IN DIVIDED DOSE."

HEINE June 9, 2014

"Supraventricular Tachy with Arrhythmia runs in our family. When I was 6 years old a Doctor yelled heart attack, I thought he was having one and he thought I was having one. The nurse calmed him down. I obviously compensated from having it so long. So, that was how it was till I was about 28. Then my heart rate was 180 a minute all the time. I could not compensate. I was told to go on heart medicines. I am allergic to a lot of things and do not respond well to things. So after about dying from trying beta blockers I was put on Corgard which worked perfect. Now my insurance will not cover it. I am 56 and just put on Metoprolol and scared. I hope it works well and I have no problems."

Jane12397 (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2014

"About 4 months ago, I was finally diagnosed with Supraventricular tachycardia. At first I was diagnosed with anxiety but knew it had to be something else. Turns out that anxiety is a common symptom of SVT. I was put on Metoprolol 12.5 mg (half 25 mg tab) but had to keep increasing dosage to now 37.5mg per day. I tried taking it in the morning, but it made me feel weird and heart felt heavy. I switched to night time. It does help me sleep. I was initially tired, but that wore off. No other symptoms other than feeling more at ease and calm. I am a 46 yr old female in pretty good shape...no weight gain like others complained of."

svt in dfw (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2014

"I first had SVT when I was 13 but undiagnosed until 18. I had episodes that lasted 1-36 hours. Episodes occurred 1-5 times/month. Average BPM was 190 and upon reaching 235 BPM I would start to loose consciousness. I tried all varieties of maneuvers to trigger the SVT to stop but none worked. If it laster longer than an hour I was transported to the ER where I was given Adenosine to restart my heart. I was given an Rx for Metoprlol Tartrate a few months before my first ablation when I was 20. I was started on 25mg/day. 9 days after my ablation, I had more episodes and was bumped up to 50mg, 100mg, then 150mg/day before my second ablation when I was 21. Had it been unsuccessful, I'd have been switched to an Ace-inhibitor."

BellaMarie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 6, 2013

"I have had PSVT and occasional atrial fibrillation (plus the related anxiety from these conditions) since I was 21. I am now 44. I have been on metoprolol 25 mg, once a day in the morning, for the past 18 months and I love it. I was originally put on it twice a day, but I already had bradycardia and low blood pressure at night so within a couple of days the nighttime dose was making me wake up gasping for air with an extremely low heart rate and blood pressure so low it wouldn't register on my home monitor. I called the doctor and he said to not take the bedtime dose. I haven't had any side effects that I recall. On the contrary, I can now play sports with my kids without flipping into an irregular rhythm."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 22, 2012

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "The side effects outweighed any benefits. Extreme fatigue, weight gain, muscle and joint soreness."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 12, 2012

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am 59, and have been on metoprol since I had an ablation about 5 months ago. I was still experiencing a higher than normal heart rate (lower after ablation, but on the high side) and a high diastolic blood pressure. Metoprolol seemed to lower both numbers initially. I was extremely fatigued and I started noticing weight gain. That weight gain has been is now 18 pounds in the 5 months following the ablation. Now, none of my clothes fit. I have told my doctor about the weight gain, but he did not seem concerned. I am concerned. Has anyone else had this and were you able to do something about it? Now, the heart rate is starting to increase again. "

Jteem (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2012

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "This by far has been the best medication (beta blocker) that has 100% kept my Atrial Tachycardia under control/and during an episode of A.T. Zero side effects for me at least. I have been on Lopressor for 30 years. I have tried numerous other medications to control my arrhythmia, but Metroprolol is the best. Tried Tenormin, which was okay for a while, but the side effects were too weird --fainting, numbness, cold extremities and I think it did something strange to my thought process."

northernsky61 August 8, 2011

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): "Was diagnosed with Supraventricular tachycardia two weeks ago and was put on Toprol 25 mg a day. It didn't work with bringing down my pulse so doctor increased to 50 mg a day until I see my heart doctor. I have to say that I do not like the side effects. Heavy feeling in my chest, tired all the time, headaches, etc. Hope my doctor recommends ablation because I don't think I can take this medicine much longer."

kimleydbeme May 23, 2011

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "I have been on metoprolol for well over a year now and have not had any negative side effects. The only thing I ever experienced was slight tiredness for a few days after having my dose increased."

Anonymous May 16, 2011

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): "I love this medicine! It has quite literally saved my life, and has made my life much more livable. Whenever I would do anything physical, my heart would beat so fast that I would frequently faint. I went to my cardiologist, and she gave me a holter monitor. She saw what I was talking about and gave me 50mg of Toprol-XL everyday. That was over 3 years ago, still on the same dosage, and it is wonderful. For the first few months, I was a little over tired, but that side effect quickly went away."

Anonymous July 23, 2010

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started having PSVT when I was 23, now 42. I was also on verapamil, propranolol and atenolol at the same time. I felt like the walking dead from time I got up till I went to bed. So had RF ablation done. Was fine for several years, no medicines, no problems. Then PSVT was back full force was put on digoxin that was increased several times due to lack of control. Had stress test done and after just over 1 minute was stopped by Doctor put in hospital taken off digoxin and started on 50 mg of metoprolol. I now have fair control of PSVT with just minor problems that I can control maybe once a month unless stressed and PSVT can be trouble couple times a day. Main side effect is energy level REAL low."

bprunty67 July 23, 2010

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): "I am 14 years old. I once had a moderate heart attack, and afterwards, my heart was constantly hammering away. Just sitting sown my pulse was 180 bpm. This led to enlarged heart and high blood pressure. I've been on this medicine for 3 years now, and it has probably saved my life from another heart attack. I recommend it to anyone with my problem."

Anonymous June 14, 2010

"I'm 13 years old and have had tachycardia all of my life. Four years ago, I was given metoprolol and it changed my entire life. Before it always felt like my heart was trying to leap out of my chest, or hammering through my rib cage, or my heart was hammering away so hard I could feel it in my throat but metoprolol changed that. It has given me a new freedom. I would recommend it to anyone with my problem."

Anonymous April 28, 2010