User Reviews for Ritalin

Learn more about Ritalin.

Ritalin review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Narcolepsy.

Reviews for Ritalin to treat Narcolepsy

Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I struggle with the Lethargic-type Depression. The Symptoms: lack of motivation, laziness, apathy, a-sociability (not caring about having others or relationships; NOT the same as anti-social), flat effect, low energy, excess sleeping, difficulty processing and connecting-the-dots; like when reading things for example, poor concentration, lack of drive, staying at home all day doing nothing, not getting a job, lack of determination and perseverance, giving up easily, low attention-span, etc. Ritalin works great for "Lethargic Depression", and even MORE so when combined with my Cymbalta (60mg once-daily). I take 20mg in the morning, and I have a lot more energy. Just cleaning the dishes doesn't seem like an exhausting burden anymore. My facial expressions and effect don't seem flat, zombie, stiff and mask like. I can process what I'm reading more clearly. I CARE more and FEEL more. I feel motivated, and more active, no longer just sitting and watching TV all day, letting the house turn into a pit. I'm being productive, I can keep many things at the front of my head without forgetting. Overall I've gone from the walking, living dead -to- a living, happy, productive person. Overall, I take 90-120mg of the regular Ritalin (methylphenidate) in divided doses throughout the day.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 5, 2012 11:57 AM

This medication has worked well for approx 8mos to control Narcolepsy

April 15, 2012 4:48 AM
Review by SleepyK: User Rating:

I've been taking Ritalin for 3 years for Narcolepsy. I was very unwilling to try it at first, but after much research and a push from my Dr, I was finally alert and able to think clearly for the first time in years. I've had to alter my dose at times and currently take 10mg twice a day. I work part-time and try to alter my lifestyle so I won't need to up my dose too soon. I can't imagine life without it and hope it continues to work for years to come.

January 10, 2012 8:06 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been taking Ritalin for my narcolepsy for almost three years now. It helps significantly and without it, I don't think I would be able to work or function. However, my dosage has needed to be increased as it seems my body is getting used to it. It's also a great alternative to Provigil because it does not interact with birth control pills as Provigil does.

January 5, 2012 4:26 PM
Review by Tonytoo: User Rating:

I have been on Ritalin for 20 years. It has worked great. While working full time, I took 20mg twice daily. Now retired and taking only 10 mg each morning, I feel more tired but being retired I function good and can rest anytime I need to.

April 10, 2011 11:51 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been taken Ritalin for about 3 months and it gives me a boost from being sleepy for about a hour. After that I become very tired and sleepy. Maybe I should up my dosage.

February 14, 2011 8:55 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have taken this medication for over 5 years to help me stay awake due to a narcolepsy diagnosis. The drug is very effective and I have not become addicted in anyway although I have developed a tolerance to the medication and have had to increase my dosage to now the highest amount available and now will most likely have to change to another medication. The side effects have also increased including mood swings and and feelings of depression when the drug wears off and now I am convinced that it is time to switch medications. Even with these increased side effects, without this drug I wouldn't have been able to function as a normal human being and I am now nervous that I won't be able to find another medication that was this effective.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 24, 2010 6:33 PM
Review by htfloor: User Rating:

This medicine is doing it's job. I actually fell asleep standing up in my dining room. Hit my chin on the table (ouch). Now, I don't fall asleep at inappropriate times (after I take my first dose). I do have concerns about it's habitual possibilities, which I must say, my doctor did not warn me about. I will have to keep a close watch on my behavior I guess, but it is working.

August 27, 2009 9:52 AM
Review by toots1201: User Rating:

This medication works awesome for me. I have narcolepsy and been on it for about 6 months now. I take 3 x 10mg tabs a day and I skip Wednesday's. I am alert, awake and without any side effects.

July 24, 2009 8:28 PM
Review by froglegs: User Rating:

This helps me concentrate more.

April 17, 2009 12:04 PM
Review by JuliusSnoozer: User Rating:

I had to quit Ritalin, despite starting on a very small dose, because it gave me tremors and a "wired" (but not alert) feeling. The problems did not diminish within 2 weeks, and that was all I could stand.

April 13, 2009 2:45 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I really like it. The only thing about the Ritalin is that you get a slight rush and then it seems to wear off before it should. My dosage was doubled and that seemed to work out a lot better. It truly does the job as I don't fall asleep all the time.

October 17, 2008 8:26 PM

Learn more about Narcolepsy

Living with Advanced MS? View our 7 part video series and learn more. Click Here