Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Concerta

Learn more about Concerta.

Concerta review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 28 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Concerta to treat ADHD

Review by Mom123456:

After a diagnosis of ADHD, ODD and RAD the psychiatrist prescribed Concerta. So far after 1 week of use, the hyperactivity, aggression, and zoning out has either stopped or come to minimal. The side affects seem to be weight gain and loss of appetite.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2015 11:33 AM

Review by mkc1968:

So far so good. Love the extended delivery system. I am taking 54, does not last as long as they claim. I am 46 just started with meds about 6 months ago. No bad side effects!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2015 8:18 AM

Concerta helped me so much. Before Concerta, I dreaded doing school work or even regular household chores. While on it, I want to do my homework and chores. It makes me 200x more focused overall, which means more learning and better grades. I went from C's and F's to A's and some B's

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 14, 2015 9:40 PM

Review by Late Summer:

Concerta it was the only medication that work for my ADD I am 53 years old. I took a break from it for four years now I am going to start it again because I am not getting anything done during the day. I am a nurse.

February 20, 2015 11:23 AM

Review by Kate432:

My son is in 4th grade and just started taking Concerta two days ago. So far so good! He is dealing with severe ADHD. He was a very angry child and since he started taking it the teachers have sent notes home saying how well he is doing! School is easier so far which means a happier boy! He hugs me and kisses me and we have had less fights about getting homework done. We are very pleased!

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 6, 2015 10:03 PM

Review by Maxime Lefinch (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Worked for me the first year I took it but then it started to have really bad side effects. I have ADD but I don't have hyperactivity and I was getting socially awkward and having anxiety and even depression. I don't recommend it for someone who's not hyperactive.

January 5, 2015 11:39 AM

Review by Squidles (taken for less than 1 month):

This is a great medicine. The first 2 days I felt ill on it nausea mainly and I find sleeping incredibly difficult but don't mind so much as I don't feel bad for it the next day. It's also making me dream a lot but overall I feel great and have much more of a will power to do everything. I started on 18mg and on Friday I go up to 36mg so see how they go.

December 17, 2014 3:23 PM

Review by JustinSimmo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Amazing medicine. Helped with my recently diagnosed ADHD-PI (ADD). I am on 27mg and have no known side-effects. It has boosted my grades and my work is done quicker. It is the best thing that has happened to me. I haven't registered my ADD as a chronic illness, but know I will get it covered fully if I do.

November 27, 2014 8:44 AM

Review by ADD_Student (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I am on 27mg Concerta. Never felt better. I have better grades because of better concentration. No anxiety or suicidal thoughts. Guess I have too much to keep me alive, that I have never had those thoughts. Only side-effect seems to be slight insomnia, but I would prefer better grades over sleep.

November 27, 2014 8:37 AM

Review by Simmo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was put on Ritalin 10mg three times a day, then on Concerta 27mg. I didn't have any side-effects until I went to 36mg and I was only losing my appetite. I went back down and it still is really helping my concentration. I finish my work on time and am able to work to a higher level of work.

November 27, 2014 8:25 AM

Review by David..:

This has been life changing in a positive way, I never thought I had an issue and finally at 29 I mentioned it to my doctor who first prescribed Adderall I believe, I didn't like it. I mentioned it figuring I might as well give up, and then he suggested I try Concerta. Since that point my focus has gone up and I realize I did have an issue all these years! I don't take it Sundays to give my mind a break, only take it if you need it and don't abuse it.

November 18, 2014 11:07 PM

Review by Weebillfromthehill (taken for less than 1 month):

Only side effect is can't sleep and lost 4kg in 1 week

October 31, 2014 10:52 PM

Review by CaraCat (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I was out on a couple of different types of medications for my ADD. When I came across Concerta, it is close to perfect to me. I don't get that feeling like I'm spaced out like Adderral.

October 26, 2014 11:41 PM

Review by eeehhhh (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Intensified anxiety, and taken with Abilify I did not know if I was hungry for a long time. My weight went up and down, and I stayed on the same dose for 9 years. It made no sense. In hindsight, the Abilify was merely treating symptoms caused by side effects of Concerta. I would encourage everyone who has been ignored when they asked mental health professionals for help, to also encourage careful review and make informed decisions about medications. Educate yourself!

October 7, 2014 12:45 PM

Review by Vin9321:

If you have ADHD, pills like Strattera (non-stimulant) do not seem to work. You do need a stimulant. Concerta is amazing medication. I used to be on it from 2nd grade all the way until 9th. Looking back now, at 21 years old, I see that after I stopped it in high school, my grades dropped. Just started taking the average adult dose of 36mgs and it has really helped me in class, although there isn't an insane change. MAKE SURE TO TAKE IT WITH A DECENT MEAL OR IMMEDIATELY AFTER. If you don't, you'll find yourself with an upset stomach for a lot of the day.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 17, 2014 5:52 PM

Review by Honeypot500:

Took 18mg Concerta for 5 days. On day two, I woke up and cleaned and tidied the whole house, my partner thought something was wrong with me! Then the side effects came... Nausea, depression, anxiety. By the time I was coming down at around 3pm I had to stay at home, I was unable to drive my car or even just go out. My doc wanted to try me on 5mg Ritalin 3x a day quick release but I refused. After reading the reviews on here about dexamphetamine I started them this morning. 5mg 3x a day. Hopefully this will be the one for me.

July 9, 2014 4:06 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

I've been taking Concerta for the past 14 years since it came out (24 now) and I don't plan on changing unless I'm forced. I've tried other medications and none work as well with as few side effects. Right now I take the 54mg. Sure I experience some side effects, but I've learned to manage them over the years (force myself to eat etc). The treatment of ADD/ADHD is only effective through a multifaceted approach, medication AND counseling/therapy/behavior coaching. Without Concerta I would never have made it through school or had successful relationships. ADD makes life hard, but with the right combination of treatments it is more than manageable.

177 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2014 3:31 PM

Review by Frederickrrorodkfkfkfk:

It makes me sweat a lot and have panic attacks.

June 25, 2014 10:05 AM

Review by thebrogo (taken for less than 1 month):

Took it from 7-12 years old. When stopped, grades went down and gained weight. Taking it now again at 21. My gosh. First day back on it and wow.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 4, 2014 5:02 PM

Review by csimiami31 (taken for 10 years or more):

It has literally made me who I am. If I didn't take it I wouldn't focus, I wouldn't pass school. It helps a lot.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 3, 2014 6:54 PM

Review by ajj123 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I started Concerta when I was in 7th grade. I am now 14 and I started off with 36mg now I am 54mg at first I had a big boost in my grades! I started getting A's! This year I have been noticing in school that I have been more anxious, depressed, not hungry during the day, and a little bit socially awkward. I am trying to deal with my side effects. I am going to doctor soon about Concerta. You are not alone

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 22, 2014 5:19 PM

Review by Vegemite:

I am 34 years old. I started with 27mg. Over several weeks I worked up to 36mg in morning, then 10mg in mid afternoon. My husband has seen an improvement in my mood. I feel less angry and better able to cope with daily life. I stay awake during the day now (I was very fatigued pre-Concerta and sleeping a lot). I am sleeping the best I ever have at night. My mind doesn't race as much as it used to. I still experience anxiety, but it hasn't increased since Concerta. I get more headaches and I seem to continuously suck and rub my tongue on the inside of my mouth. It annoys me and causes tongue ulcers, but I guess it is a small price to pay.

May 11, 2014 10:43 PM

Review by Abby165 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was diagnosed with ADHD in 8th grade and put on 20mg of Concerta which has since risen to 54mg extended release in the day and 10mg immediate release in the evening for when I do my homework. At first the medicine was great- it allowed me to focus and my grades went up significantly. However over the past year or so I have been experiencing negative side effects such as depression, headaches, and loss of appetite. I can manage the headaches and appetite problems but as for the depression, it is so bad that I am considering switching to another brand or changing my dose because when I am on Concerta I become virtually emotionless, and as a result I am struggling to maintain good relationships with my friends and family members.

May 5, 2014 6:16 AM

Review by djmaster728 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've been on over half of the ADHD medications on the list, and all of them either made it worse, or added on to the tic the first medication gave me. I started taking Concerta about two years ago, and I remember improving in school greatly. It works fast, and helps a lot

May 2, 2014 11:18 AM

Review by kat9593 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I found this medication helped me the most through high school. Right through my senior year I found I didn't need to even study my notes much because, when I took Concerta, I was so focused that I remembered everything said in class on my own. The main downside taking this as a student is that it wears off by the time you get home, so doing homework seems impossible -- same with studying. After I graduated high school though, I noticed Concerta started giving me symptoms of depression and worsening my anxiety to an awful point. Ultimately my doctor cut me off Concerta due to those emotional side effects.

April 30, 2014 2:06 PM