User Reviews for Concerta

Learn more about Concerta.

Concerta review summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Concerta to treat ADHD

Review by Weebillfromthehill (taken for less than 1 month):

Only side effect is can't sleep and lost 4kg in 1 week

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 31, 2014 10:52 PM

Review by CaraCat (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I was out on a couple of different types of medications for my ADD. When I came across Concerta, it is close to perfect to me. I don't get that feeling like I'm spaced out like Adderral.

October 26, 2014 11:41 PM

Review by eeehhhh (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Intensified anxiety, and taken with Abilify I did not know if I was hungry for a long time. My weight went up and down, and I stayed on the same dose for 9 years. It made no sense. In hindsight, the Abilify was merely treating symptoms caused by side effects of Concerta. I would encourage everyone who has been ignored when they asked mental health professionals for help, to also encourage careful review and make informed decisions about medications. Educate yourself!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 7, 2014 12:45 PM

Review by Vin9321:

If you have ADHD, pills like Strattera (non-stimulant) do not seem to work. You do need a stimulant. Concerta is amazing medication. I used to be on it from 2nd grade all the way until 9th. Looking back now, at 21 years old, I see that after I stopped it in high school, my grades dropped. Just started taking the average adult dose of 36mgs and it has really helped me in class, although there isn't an insane change. MAKE SURE TO TAKE IT WITH A DECENT MEAL OR IMMEDIATELY AFTER. If you don't, you'll find yourself with an upset stomach for a lot of the day.

September 17, 2014 5:52 PM

Review by Honeypot500:

Took 18mg Concerta for 5 days. On day two, I woke up and cleaned and tidied the whole house, my partner thought something was wrong with me! Then the side effects came... Nausea, depression, anxiety. By the time I was coming down at around 3pm I had to stay at home, I was unable to drive my car or even just go out. My doc wanted to try me on 5mg Ritalin 3x a day quick release but I refused. After reading the reviews on here about dexamphetamine I started them this morning. 5mg 3x a day. Hopefully this will be the one for me.

July 9, 2014 4:06 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

I've been taking Concerta for the past 14 years since it came out (24 now) and I don't plan on changing unless I'm forced. I've tried other medications and none work as well with as few side effects. Right now I take the 54mg. Sure I experience some side effects, but I've learned to manage them over the years (force myself to eat etc). The treatment of ADD/ADHD is only effective through a multifaceted approach, medication AND counseling/therapy/behavior coaching. Without Concerta I would never have made it through school or had successful relationships. ADD makes life hard, but with the right combination of treatments it is more than manageable.

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2014 3:31 PM

Review by Frederickrrorodkfkfkfk:

It makes me sweat a lot and have panic attacks.

June 25, 2014 10:05 AM

Review by thebrogo (taken for less than 1 month):

Took it from 7-12 years old. When stopped, grades went down and gained weight. Taking it now again at 21. My gosh. First day back on it and wow.

June 4, 2014 5:02 PM

Review by csimiami31 (taken for 10 years or more):

It has literally made me who I am. If I didn't take it I wouldn't focus, I wouldn't pass school. It helps a lot.

June 3, 2014 6:54 PM

Review by ajj123 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I started Concerta when I was in 7th grade. I am now 14 and I started off with 36mg now I am 54mg at first I had a big boost in my grades! I started getting A's! This year I have been noticing in school that I have been more anxious, depressed, not hungry during the day, and a little bit socially awkward. I am trying to deal with my side effects. I am going to doctor soon about Concerta. You are not alone

May 22, 2014 5:19 PM

Review by Vegemite:

I am 34 years old. I started with 27mg. Over several weeks I worked up to 36mg in morning, then 10mg in mid afternoon. My husband has seen an improvement in my mood. I feel less angry and better able to cope with daily life. I stay awake during the day now (I was very fatigued pre-Concerta and sleeping a lot). I am sleeping the best I ever have at night. My mind doesn't race as much as it used to. I still experience anxiety, but it hasn't increased since Concerta. I get more headaches and I seem to continuously suck and rub my tongue on the inside of my mouth. It annoys me and causes tongue ulcers, but I guess it is a small price to pay.

May 11, 2014 10:43 PM

Review by Abby165 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was diagnosed with ADHD in 8th grade and put on 20mg of Concerta which has since risen to 54mg extended release in the day and 10mg immediate release in the evening for when I do my homework. At first the medicine was great- it allowed me to focus and my grades went up significantly. However over the past year or so I have been experiencing negative side effects such as depression, headaches, and loss of appetite. I can manage the headaches and appetite problems but as for the depression, it is so bad that I am considering switching to another brand or changing my dose because when I am on Concerta I become virtually emotionless, and as a result I am struggling to maintain good relationships with my friends and family members.

May 5, 2014 6:16 AM

Review by djmaster728 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've been on over half of the ADHD medications on the list, and all of them either made it worse, or added on to the tic the first medication gave me. I started taking Concerta about two years ago, and I remember improving in school greatly. It works fast, and helps a lot

May 2, 2014 11:18 AM

Review by kat9593 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I found this medication helped me the most through high school. Right through my senior year I found I didn't need to even study my notes much because, when I took Concerta, I was so focused that I remembered everything said in class on my own. The main downside taking this as a student is that it wears off by the time you get home, so doing homework seems impossible -- same with studying. After I graduated high school though, I noticed Concerta started giving me symptoms of depression and worsening my anxiety to an awful point. Ultimately my doctor cut me off Concerta due to those emotional side effects.

April 30, 2014 2:06 PM

Review by willlkl;asjdf ;ajdslf;;:

My experience with Concerta has been amazing. I am 12 and this has helped me deal with bullying, anger issues, and lack of focus. I have learned that just because you are ADHD does not mean you can't have a normal life. I recommend this to anybody who is ashamed by their weight, has trouble focusing, and has anxiety issues but make sure to eat regularly because Concerta makes it so you don't know if you are hungry or not.

April 11, 2014 11:26 PM

Review by Northfocus:

I have been dealing with Attention Deficient Disorder ADD all of my life at 50 years old I was diagnosed with ADD, I had suspected it for some time, and began taking 28 mg of Concerta each day after approximately 2 months I went to a lower dose of 18 mg per day. It has had a positive effect that it is much easier to stay on task my ability to concentrate has been significantly increased. In describing its effect it seems that my mind has slowed down. The side effects have been minimal a little lightheaded at times. I do not take it every day sometimes, I usually use it Monday to Friday.

April 6, 2014 1:45 PM

Review by nursebunney (taken for less than 1 month):

My 4th grade son began taking Concerta 2 1/2 weeks ago. It has been the best decision I ever made. His teacher says he is a completely different child. His funny personality remains but he is on task, finishes all his homework in class, and actually tells other children to quite down. I lamented for many, many months about whether or not to have him begin a stimulant. It is obvious that it was the right decision. I make sure he eats a hearty breakfast. He knows he needs to push himself to eat something at lunch and drink plenty of fluids. He did tell me he felt "prickles in his head" for the first 2 days. His teacher reported he was a little tired for a couple days as well. He says his mind is more clear and "not so jumbled". We're thrilled

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2014 11:42 PM

Review by What's More Important? (taken for 2 to 5 years):

My 13 year old son, and 9 year old daughter both have been diagnosed with ADHD. I, nor my husband could wrap our minds around our kids taking medicine, but were forced to give it a try. My son started taking Concerta when he was in 4th grade, and my daughter started taking Vyvanse in the 3rd grade.The results were amazing! Their handwriting went from sloppy to super neat, reading skills increased, grades were mostly A's...and many more great results! The bad part about the pills are that they have SO many side effects that were making them seem like totally different people! They were skinny, depressed, had Insomnia, headaches, twitching, and angry. We withdrew both from public school and started Homeschool. Now learning at our own pace!

January 27, 2014 5:30 PM

Review by Tyjohn95:

IT MAKES ME DEPRESSED. Yes it helps me focus, and it helps me with my school work, but when I am on Concerta I am 100% emotionless and it is the worst feeling I have ever experienced. Constant depression until it wears off later in the night time.

January 27, 2014 3:38 PM

Review by Van Man (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

My son started on Concerta about a year ago. It has transformed his life. I don't like giving medicine but I have tried absolutely everything else - swimming, brain gymnastics etc.. nothing really helped. He is naturally bright but just couldn't concentrate - particularly when it came to classroom work and focusing on a project involving writing. The transformation has been incredible. He had an excellent school report in every area. His teachers are thrilled, he is confident and happy and enjoys school. He doesn't take Concerta in the holidays or at weekends and manages fine going back on it on a Monday morning. Only one side effect which is lack of appetite. We ensure he goes to school with a good breakfast and then he has a huge meal when he gets home.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2014 1:17 PM

Review by Anonymous1013:

I've been on Concerta since I was about 13 (I'm 22 now). When I first started the medication I experienced a fair amount of weight loss. Overall, Concerta has truly changed my life and made me a more focused student. Since I've been on it for so long, I have learned to manage side effects but some that have been ongoing are: upset stomach right after taking the medication (due to the stimulant effects and lack of food), slight headaches, jitters, binging when the medication wears off, and occasional paranoia. When first beginning the medication, remember to force yourself to have some caloric in-take even if it is just a smoothie. This has been life-changing, but please remember to balance out your diet.

January 8, 2014 6:11 PM

Review by mamaessp:

My daughter was finally diagnosed with ADHD Inattentive-type at age 16 after a lot of stress regarding high school academics and feeling "dumb." Concerta has been nothing short of a miracle for her. She finally ended up on the 54mg dosage and does very well. The only side effect she has had is loss of appetite which she now knows to eat a healthy/big breakfast before her medication in the morning. She then eats a normal dinner. She has occasionally had insomnia if she takes her medication later in the morning or if she has accidentally had caffeine. Overall, she is in a good groove with this medication and her SAT score went from 1600 to 2000 after medication and a prep course; GPA from 3.3 to 3.9.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 6, 2013 1:37 PM

Review by cherrymom (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have 3 children, 2 of whom are on Concerta. We have tried many things prior to this and nothing has worked quite as well.

November 24, 2013 10:27 AM

Review by Moona:

I'm a 15 year old girl who started off with Vyvanse for a year but became anorexic. I switched off to Concerta! The first couple of years I felt so amazing because I have never experienced what it felt like to succeed after trying so much. Then I got to High School. My meds ended a relationship. I was always paranoid and extremely nervous. I am like a robot now. I'm either extremely emotionless, really mad, or really paranoid. My friends tell me that it's like talking to a stranger. I get frustrated so easily and don't care about anyone or anything around me. I don't want to be taken off my meds because I'm really successful. But should I really have to choose between my loved ones and school. I shouldn't have to pick.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 15, 2013 2:06 AM

Review by Anonymous15635:

I would recommend this medication ONLY if you are 100% positive you need medication, by that I mean teachers and family recognizing the issue. My mom finally decided to give me concerta during early middle school after my teachers advised it for a few years. I recommend beginning with 9 mg and slowly going up if needed. This medication is horrible in my life in the sense that I feel like I need it to do good in school, especially now I'm in college. But it causes me to be incredibly depressed. I continue to take it because grades are first, but for kids I recommend keeping a very close eye on them and follow up on depression issues because as a kid in middle school, it was horrible.

November 12, 2013 11:35 AM