User Reviews for Concerta

Learn more about Concerta.

Concerta Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 32 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Concerta to treat ADHD

"I've been taking concerta for 3 years now and I'm 18. I started out with 18mg and slowly went up to 54mg. My grades went from really low to average in weeks but the side effects are really crappy. I have troubles sleeping at night and I feel things that aren't there. I also have a big loss of appetite and have to force myself to eat sometimes. I have days where I get really depressed to the point that I don't want to get out of bed and do anything. I also feel really anxious and on edge and I start scratching/ picking at my skin which gave me scars all over my back. I thought about it and went off the pill and my grades suddenly dropped again. The pill really does help with focus and motivation but the side effects are really tough!!!"

Catt11 February 8, 2016

"Found out I had ADHD my sophomore year & was put on this pill. Started at 36mg and I could definitely see changes. Very moody, could not go to sleep at night, I always so jumpy and on the go, but I will have to say it helped A LOT with my troubles on paying attention in school. Went from D's & F's to an honor roll student. The only thing that's really scary for most people is the weight loss it can cause. I weighed 130 my freshman year and in the middle of my junior year I was 94 pounds. So you really have to watch that!"

krako19 February 5, 2016

"I was diagnosed with ADD at the end of grade 6 and started taking concerta in grade 7. I had no idea I had ADD and just though everyone was like me. I had no enthusiasm anything with school but after I took concerta I was like ADHD. So much hyperness and wanting to work. After raising the dose to 36mg I started to get very anxious about my heart feeling like it was beating too fast and was having like a panic attack or something so then I dropped back down to 27mg. The side affects I have is weight loss/loss of appitite, heart palpitations, sleep paraylisis, feelings of excitement. It works for me but I hate the side affects. I also lost 5lbs in one week when I first started and 20lbs in 2 years."

Pianogirl101 January 9, 2016

"I have been taking this for 10 years (started at 18 mg, went up to 36 mg). Recently (several months ago), I developed several horrible side-effects. For example: it made me feel nervous. I could not keep still. It also made me extra irritable (to the point I was yelling at my friends for the littlest things). I also felt depressed (to the point I did not want to get out of bed at all) and could not sleep. The doctor brought me down to 18 mg, symptoms did not improve. I immediately stopped taking this and felt 100% better the next day. The doctor put me on Adderall XR which works a lot better with very little side-effects. Please avoid Concerta if possible."

Anonymous January 7, 2016

"This is not the drug for everyone. I was absolutely miserable on Concerta. I was restless, anxious, needy, fidgety, irritable, and depressed. My psychiatric practitioner attempted to cure these symptoms by prescribing higher doses. I eventually had a meltdown. As soon as I stopped, it was like I was instantly better. I know this drug works wonders for some people, but please be careful."

AbiK January 5, 2016

"I have my son on weekend's and he never seems to want to sleep and he is skin and bones he is rarely hungry?"

chase mother December 27, 2015

"I have been using Concerta for 15 days now. I started out with 18mg for a week and the second week 36mg. I haven't seen any difference by now, which is very dissappointing for me. In fact I feel slighly extra depressed than I already am, but no big difference. Starting tommorow my doctor told me to take 54mg per day. Any suggestions? Is it too soon to see any difference?"

lunalovegood (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2015

"I am in grade 12 and I have been on concerta since grade 3. I have noticed I am underweight and I have trouble sleeping at night. But concerta has helped me focus in school, but I just wish it didn't come with some of the side effects."

Julie247 December 20, 2015

"I don't feel right, I can't focus, I don't want to workout which I love to do, I don't want to drum which i love doing too. I felt great on biphentin despite the anger I tried concerta for a day and hated it"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2015

"The only reason I gave Concerta a 2 and not a 0, was because when I didn't take it for two days I could feel myself going through a withdrawal. I would begin to feel tired, annoyed and angered easily, some headaches, and so on. I have been on Concerta for about 13 years and even with it in my system I still struggled in school. At first they had me on smaller doses, but they had to be increased. I've been taking 108mg each morning and the only thing that I have noticed a difference in is the withdrawal I go through, which can be helped by drinking coffee. By the way, I'm currently on the drug right now and I'm supposed to be studying for my spanish exam that I have this afternoon. So if that doesn't tell you something then idk what will."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) December 7, 2015

"Doctor started me on 27 took that for 3 weeks for severe ADHD and it lost its effect so I was put up to 54 mg and amazing changes I get work done fast and I am motivated only problem is Crash is pretty awful for me, I get really sick to the stomach and drowsy. For the sick stomach I just use ginger but drowsyness can't do anything"

Anonymous November 21, 2015

"My daughter see and hear things that are not there. She has been taking concerta 36mg for over a year. But all of a sudden, she is so scared of everything. "

Walker40 November 14, 2015

"ADD/ADHD has always been an issue, sure - grades sucked, concentration lacked, motivation gone. But, when the doctor prescribed Concerta, that all changed. I felt a change and saw my grades and concentration get better and better. The appetite loss was a minor issue. I've always been a big eater with a super fast metabolism. When I was told I was a few pounds overweight, I was happy. The solution to the problem is to force yourself to eat. It's not a bad sacrifice if you see a positive difference in your performance. I'm 6"5', 17 years old, and 210 pounds. I'm skinny, sure, but I'm willing to sacrifice quite a bit so I can do better in school. :)"

Anonymous October 22, 2015

"At the age of 10, my son's ADHD was needing medical help. He was put on Concerta18mg and was a little unwell for two weeks, with sick stomach, lack of appetite, and slightly listless. Made sure he ate breakfast before taking his tablet. He did look a little thin after about 1 year. We persevered with Concerta and life quickly improved until almost all ADHD problems had disappeared. Did not increase the initial drug dose. But after 18 months, he was becoming quiet and withdrawn. Decided to stop Concerta. Mild withdrawal symptoms for a week or so. We have never looked back. He is now 14, not on any medications and is a tall, healthy, teenager. Wow, recommend this tablet. He may need it again some day."

HomeBaking (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 9, 2015

"I first started taking Concerta about 2 years ago. I'm almost 13. It works okay but I have been losing my appetite far too much. I'm already really underweight and this drug makes it worse. I've also run into sleep paralysis once or twice."

Lily J September 23, 2015

"I've been taking concerta for close to 15 years now since I was diagnosed at age 3. Around 8th grade I had started getting pain in my chest which was similar to costo condritis. The pain got increasingly worse up through highschool and the beginning of college around age 18 when it stopped affecting me as much. Now I'm 21 years old (as of the 12th this month) and for the past years I've been noticing that I've been getting increasingly anxious and worrying more than usual. In the past 5years on a daily 63 mg dose I've been dealing with depression, anxiety, nightmares, insomnia, loss of appetite, and I've lost 30lbs due to that. It's effective, but at a price, sometimes one you can't afford."

Dan the duck September 22, 2015

"I was diagnosed with ADD about ten years ago. I was prescribed Concerta by my doctor and it wasn't an easy transition. I got tons of work done and all, but it killed my apetite during lunch hours and as a result I lost weight. As time went on I got more used to the medication and I've since regained my weight (for the most part, I've still got a high metabolism and as a result gaining any kind of weight is difficult for me) and can still focus on my schoolwork. Part of this can be attributed to getting older and all, but I think the medication has certainly helped. For reference, I'm a 6 ft tall guy who weighs around 125 lbs."

Anonymous September 15, 2015

"Well it started in 2014 when I was diagnosed with adhd.... And I could not focus for more than 5 minutes before doing something else and this has helped me greatly focus and calm me down. We also own a farm and I drive a skid steer loader and drive a tractor, also doing fieldwork takes a good deal of focus and now I can easily do 5 hours of bale loading and not get distracted which is a lifesaver. One downside is that I lose my appetite but not a big deal to me."

Ford73 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2015

"I was diagnosed with ADHD a little less than a year ago at the age of 12. At first, I loved it because it helped me get so much work done and I stopped getting in trouble and annoying people. After about one month I started realizing that I wasn't eating because the medicine was destroying my appetite, and I liked it. I started using the drug more for weight loss than anything and I went from a happy, bubbly 115 lbs to a lifeless 95 lbs. at 5ft8in, that's severely underweight and unhealthy. I kept taking the medicine but I became increasingly more depressed and anxious. I was an outcast but I was too obsessed with losing weight to care. After the school year finished, I took a break from the medicine and I am now a happy, healthy 13yr old."

BrinFish613 September 8, 2015

"I've been taking Concerta for nearly five years now and just recently it hasn't been working as well as it used to. I was diagnosed with ADD in 6th grade and was then prescribed this medication. I've been taking it ever since. But back in May, I started to notice that I was having a much harder time focusing. It was almost like I hadn't taken it at all. This was very unfortunate since at that time I was having my end of year exams. I've also seen that others have been having the same problem. I'm looking forward to having this sorted out because my ADD is very bad and makes it very hard just to function in everyday life."

Pressley (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 28, 2015

"I first started with 27 mg or concerta when it was giving me no effect my doctor increased to 54 mg. At first I loved it. So great...motivation, energy, concentration etc. But then I realized how bad my anxiety was getting and that my prozac was no longer controlling my anxiety and depression. Concerta caused me to have very severe migraines which cause nausea and dizziness. I would have a migraine in the morning and the only thing that would take it away was the concerta and as soon as it wore off around 5-6pm there came the migraine again! & I obviously couldn't take the concerta or I'd be up all night. I am not switched to vyvanse but haven't tried it yet. If concerta did not cause migraines and anxiety then I would really recommend it."

Laurn August 21, 2015

"34 years old diagnosed back in Oct 14 started meds at 18mg fine 1st day then no real benefit after that I hoped the increase would help did for a while. Now on 54mg and I'm not in a great place and emotionally feel low and feel desperate. My relationship has broken down I'm hoping tomorrow I can change meds"

Loonchild (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2015

"i started taking this medicine at age 10 for about 1 year. i took it and it made me feel really like as if i was depressed and it made me feel no hunger.i never ate until the medicine would where out by the end of the day that shen i would start binging on foods at night time. the medicine was useless. and btw i still have adhd and it doesnt affect anyone or myself."

crayolatips (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 12, 2015

"Love this. I was first prescribed 27 mg and seen no changes but with the 54 it is perfect. I am able to focus and do things and not get irritated with background noise."

Shshs (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2015

"I was initially diagnosed with ADHD-combined hyperactive and implulsive when I was 16. Up until that point, I struggled with my attention issues and excessive energy and it became increasingly difficult to cope with the symptoms as I got older. My doctor prescribed me Concerta 54 Mg once a day. I immediately noticed significant improvements. I was able to think more clearly and communicate coherently. At the same time I noticed that I had a better ability to control my attention and remain focused over a more prolonged period of time. My grades improved and my relationship with friends and family became much better. I'm now 26 and still taking the medication. The therapeutic effects are still evident."

PeterAnthony54 (taken for 10 years or more) July 18, 2015