User Reviews for Concerta

Learn more about Concerta.

Concerta Review Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Concerta to treat ADHD

"I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 7. And started taking focalin soon after I was very impulsive and couldn't focus. When I was 11 I started Adderall that would keep me up at night. And I was dependent on it. Last year (13 yrs old) I was on 31 mg of concerta the first day I took it. I was lightheaded and nauseous. I am almost 14 and I take 27 mg of Concerta it has helped immensly with social situations I am now a "cool" kid. I still struggle with school and am not very hungry. But overall I think concerta is a good fit for me. On a average day I eat a small breakfast of toast and a fruit or veg, skip lunch(not ever hungry) and eat a light dinner. On the weekends i don't take it and I have the muchies all day."

pasmoi (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 19, 2015

"I have been taking conserta 54 and 36 (legally )for many years now the only main side effects are that it cause you to lose your appetite , twitch a bit. I don't think its for everyone."

mark.g (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 15, 2015

"From school right through to starting college I was a lone wolf. Didn't like many people, got into a lot of fights. Was not bothered about doing well. People only stuck by me because they were scared of me. At the age of 16 I got into smoking a lot of weed and made myself even more of an outcast. Turned into a brain dead idiot. One day I tried amphetamines or 'speed' as its known as. Everybody else got high, I got a better job. Went back to college, became really popular, got girlfriends etc.. Eventually all that went down hill as street drugs are unpredictable. Went Doc's for help, was diagnosed with ADHD apparently had it all my life.vDoc put me on concerts 56mg daily. Pretty much the same effects as the speed. Love it no sides:)"

Dunczzzz May 14, 2015

"I've been taking concerta for the past five months. When I first began taking it, I would get headaches and appetite problems, but those side effects dissapeared after about three weeks on it. Concerta has not only improved the amount of work I'm able to accomplish, its improved my self esteem as well. I no longer feel as shy and cluttered as I did before I started taking concerta. I like that it lasts throughout the entire work day, so I don't have to worry about redosing. Overall, concerta has been a very positive experience for me."

Samanthaed (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2015

"I am currently a junior in high school on concerta going onto 4 years with it and I can honestly say it does work very well. It helps me focus a lot and you can see the results inflicted on my academics and how good they got. But the side effects are the down fall of course. I get insomnia and I lose my appetite completely for a whole day. And on top of that I feel emotionless, like a robot that all it wants to do is study and focus. It takes a toll on social life, but I guess that's the price we all have to go through when taking medications."

JulieGarcia April 8, 2015

"I really like Concerta. I was on Adderall before but had really bad anxiety and sleep side effects and even more side effects, so my doctor gave me a Concerta prescription and I took it and felt so energized and focused. I love Concerta so much the only complaint would be it lowers my appetite and gives me a bad mood sometimes but I use Prozac to balance that out and this medicine is amazing, I tested it on video games and kept winning because how focused I was. This medicine is great for ADHD I highly reccomend it."

Melvin am March 29, 2015

"My son started Concerta 18mg a little over a year ago at 9 yrs old. What a positive change for him!! His self-esteem was back and he was social and smiling all the time. Made new friends easily and enjoyed things other than video games and TV. Lately, we have noticed a change...his concentration is not as good, he has trouble getting organized at school and likes to stay in his room for hours at a time. He reminds me of the kid he was before medication. April 1st, we have an apt with the pediatrician and I am assuming we will up the dose to 27mg and hopefully find our happy boy again! We have also tried Biphentin, which did not work for us. Concerta has been a life saver and I hope it will continue to be with the proper dosage :)"

Natliv (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2015

"After a diagnosis of ADHD, ODD and RAD the psychiatrist prescribed Concerta. So far after 1 week of use, the hyperactivity, aggression, and zoning out has either stopped or come to minimal. The side affects seem to be weight gain and loss of appetite."

Mom123456 March 23, 2015

"So far so good. Love the extended delivery system. I am taking 54, does not last as long as they claim. I am 46 just started with meds about 6 months ago. No bad side effects!"

mkc1968 March 19, 2015

"I was diagnosed in my late 40's with ADD. Dr. Put me on Strattera which was fine except for the severe nausea in the morning even taking it with breakfast. Just could not deal with that so was switched to Concerta. Loved it. No side affects. Could be off of it on the weekends and go back on it on Mondays with no issues. Dosage was 36mg. About 5 years of taking it and perfectly happy. Switched insurance company and continued with my medication then as of the first of the year will no longer cover Concerta. They want me to try all the cheaper formularies. Now I am struggling with all the other options they have provided and no success. Doesnt make sense!"

Brule (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 17, 2015

"Concerta helped me so much. Before Concerta, I dreaded doing school work or even regular household chores. While on it, I want to do my homework and chores. It makes me 200x more focused overall, which means more learning and better grades. I went from C's and F's to A's and some B's"

Anonymous March 14, 2015

"This medication is amazing!! Be patient and try it! All ADHD medications (like any other medication for anything) have side-effects but I have learned Concerta's do go away once you let your body do the talking: push through the 1-6 days of anxiety/depression/hyperactivity, etc., and be open to what it can do for you once your body gets used to it. I am 21 years old and I am on 54mg AND I take a side-effect medication called INTUNIV XR (2mg) that cured the anxiety side-effect which I found to come about half way through the day and when the Concerta was wearing off. This side effect comes about because Concerta is not a gradual release but 2 releases of the medicine- it drops off and may cause anxiety for a short time during the day."

Julie3377 March 9, 2015

"Simply amazing! I was on Concerta from the age of 11-17 it worked, but didnt really appreciate its qualities being a young lad...I came off it. Since then life has gone dramatically down hill and I have had issues with keeping a job, focusing, social acceptance....the works! I had no commitment to anything and no drive to establish myself in the world. Im now 24 and have been back on them for 9 months. Since then I have been 100 milliom times more productive. Secured an amazing job (and held it down) even won a few employee of the month awards! Ive also gained a new amazing social circle and my relationships generally have never been better. Small side effects i.e sleep issues. But will never stop taking unless forced."

victordon (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 5, 2015

"Concerta it was the only medication that work for my ADD I am 53 years old. I took a break from it for four years now I am going to start it again because I am not getting anything done during the day. I am a nurse."

Late Summer February 20, 2015

"My 11 yo has been on concerta for 2 months. The first few days he did experience some nausea although went away. After the first week I could tell a huge difference in his attitude.. He suddenly had a sense of humor, engaged in conversation without being distracted, and was bringing home/completing homework with no trouble! His grades have immensely improved!! I can tell a difference (not huge) on the weekend days he doesn't take it. Or if he didnt sleep well the night before and when it begins to wear off in the evening he tends to be a little grouchy. Only other down side I've noticed so far is that he has lost approx 4lbs/mo which is concerning if it continues. So far, happy with the results!"

mommobile February 14, 2015

"I like this medicine since it last 12-14 hours. It helps depression as well and it helps me in college. Without it I wouldn't be doing as well. It helps me stay on task and focus so I can get my work done. There isn't much side effects to this stimulant, maybe insomnia and a suppressed appetite but thats all. I reccommend this medicine for people with ADD, ADHD, and Depression. It really improves the quality of your life. There isn't anything bad about this medicine. I hope it works for anyone who needs it."

Lord 3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2015

"My son is in 4th grade and just started taking Concerta two days ago. So far so good! He is dealing with severe ADHD. He was a very angry child and since he started taking it the teachers have sent notes home saying how well he is doing! School is easier so far which means a happier boy! He hugs me and kisses me and we have had less fights about getting homework done. We are very pleased!"

Kate432 January 6, 2015

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Worked for me the first year I took it but then it started to have really bad side effects. I have ADD but I don't have hyperactivity and I was getting socially awkward and having anxiety and even depression. I don't recommend it for someone who's not hyperactive."

Maxime Lefinch (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 5, 2015

"This is a great medicine. The first 2 days I felt ill on it nausea mainly and I find sleeping incredibly difficult but don't mind so much as I don't feel bad for it the next day. It's also making me dream a lot but overall I feel great and have much more of a will power to do everything. I started on 18mg and on Friday I go up to 36mg so see how they go."

Squidles (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2014

"Amazing medicine. Helped with my recently diagnosed ADHD-PI (ADD). I am on 27mg and have no known side-effects. It has boosted my grades and my work is done quicker. It is the best thing that has happened to me. I haven't registered my ADD as a chronic illness, but know I will get it covered fully if I do."

JustinSimmo (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2014

"I am on 27mg Concerta. Never felt better. I have better grades because of better concentration. No anxiety or suicidal thoughts. Guess I have too much to keep me alive, that I have never had those thoughts. Only side-effect seems to be slight insomnia, but I would prefer better grades over sleep."

ADD_Student (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 27, 2014

"I was put on Ritalin 10mg three times a day, then on Concerta 27mg. I didn't have any side-effects until I went to 36mg and I was only losing my appetite. I went back down and it still is really helping my concentration. I finish my work on time and am able to work to a higher level of work."

Simmo (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2014

"This has been life changing in a positive way, I never thought I had an issue and finally at 29 I mentioned it to my doctor who first prescribed Adderall I believe, I didn't like it. I mentioned it figuring I might as well give up, and then he suggested I try Concerta. Since that point my focus has gone up and I realize I did have an issue all these years! I don't take it Sundays to give my mind a break, only take it if you need it and don't abuse it."

David.. November 18, 2014

"Only side effect is can't sleep and lost 4kg in 1 week"

Weebillfromthehill (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2014

"I was out on a couple of different types of medications for my ADD. When I came across Concerta, it is close to perfect to me. I don't get that feeling like I'm spaced out like Adderral."

CaraCat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 26, 2014