User Reviews for Glucophage

Learn more about Glucophage.

Glucophage Review Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 110 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Glucophage to treat Diabetes, Type 2

"Metformin (Glucophage generic) works very well without any side effects (maybe a small bit of diarrhea and gas - but that helps getting rid of my constipation). I am NOT overweight. In great shape with running, playing tennis and golf, etc. Age 65. Never was overweight. Got diabetes from drinking way too much Coca Cola and eating too much sweets (donuts, cake, candies, etc.). Always burned off the sugar so never put on weight. Never knew sugar was a poison that affects metabolism. Started taking metformin (3 X 800 daily dosage two years ago. With diet changes, brought down my blood glucose level from 358 to 130, and A1C from 15.9 to 6.7. Not out of the woods yet, but huge improvement and metformin is the only drug that works for me"

Littleton (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 27, 2015

"Glucophage XR 500mg or 1000mg Tabs (I either take 2~500mg Tabs in the Morning and 2~500mg Tabs with Dinner/Supper, or I take 1~1000mg Tab in the Morning and 1~1000mg Tab with Dinner/Supper.) I Totally Love this medicine. It's been one of the best medicines that I have ever taken to help keep my BLOOD SUGARS UNDER CONTROL! "UNLIKE THE GENERIC METFORMIN", THAT REALLY MESSED ME UP, AND WAS MY WORST NIGHTMARE! NOBODY WOOD LISTEN TO ME! MY DOCTOR'S, MY PHARMACIST'S, THE EMERGENCY ROOM, MY THERAPIST, MY PSYCHIATRIST, AND ESPECIALLY MEDICAID, AND MEDICARE PART D! SO AGAINST MEDICAL ADVICE I QUIT TAKING GENERIC "METFORMIN", AND A YEAR AND HALF LATER THEY PUT ME BACK ON GLUCOPHAGE XR! LIFE BECAME WONDERFUL AGAIN!"

yieyie17 October 5, 2014

"Severe Diarrhea, unable to do my job because of it."

RobertLease April 16, 2014

"I've had Type-2 Diabetes for a few years.. and have gained over 100lbs. I have been on the Metformin for a month and have lost 28lbs. Glucophage is amazing but I will admit at first I was very sick. After a about a week I started to feel normal again."

J. Copeland July 26, 2013

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Does not keep the sugar from spiking"

larry555 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 15, 2013

"Gave me diarrhea."

Anonymous December 7, 2012

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, headaches and muscle pain. It did not control my blood sugar either. I never want to feel like that again. But on the other hand my husband is able to take it with no side effects and it keeps his blood sugar between 90 and 130."

Anonymous March 28, 2012

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Made me very sick, headache, constant diarrhea, very bad head and chest cold, lower right leg started to swell."

Anonymous March 20, 2012

"I've been taking this medicine for a month today. I have seen a significant and favorable drop in my blood sugar however, I've never felt sicker in my entire life. Everyday since starting this I've been nauseous even to the point of vomiting. I find that I now have motion sickness and since I take public transport, I sometimes have to get off the bus to vomit. I always have diarrhea. I sometimes have fever symptoms, chills along with a feeling of being very cold, and terrible headaches. I've also become quite anxious, restless, and moody, which may be a side effect of these side effects. I've lost 12lbs and I find myself eating less which is awesome but I'm ALWAYS nauseous, which is why I have no appetite."

Anonymous February 6, 2012

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It works very well and there are few side effects. My blood sugar will get low but it does not drop like insulin can do. I watch what I eat and maintain exercise and my numbers are always good. I recommend this medication."

Anonymous January 27, 2012

"After a few weeks of taking this my blood sugars came right down and have stayed low."

Anonymous March 5, 2011

"This medicine helped me control my eating and to lose weight and bring my sugar down without dropping it to low. I was on another medication and it would drop my sugar too low and I was always having to take the sugar tablets to bring it back up. At first it upset my stomach but after a few weeks that was gone. It has worked very well for my husband also and has kept both of our sugars at a normal rate."

nancybuttner January 17, 2011

"I took this medicine for a very short while. It began with serious nausea followed by vomiting a couple of weeks later. I could not take this medicine."

Anonymous March 23, 2010

"My husband and I are both on this medicine. He takes 1000 mg morning and evening. I take the max at 850 mg each meal. We have to keep a packet of desiccant in the bottle to absorb the horrible fishy smell. We both have the side effect, even years later, of bloating, gas, and flatulence. We call this pill our "gas" medication. But it lowers our blood sugar with few other side effects. If we're out, we take it on our return home if possible to prevent inflicting our flatulence on others."

Anonymous March 3, 2010

"I was on this medication for about a year and I had horrible side effects. "

Anonymous October 12, 2009

"My doctor recommend glucophage 500mg twice a day, with breakfast and dinner. With breakfast also take 5mg Glocotrol. It made my sugar level /- 100 while previously was as high as 400. "

Anonymous August 12, 2009

"I have been taking Glucophage for 11 years. I have never had any side effects at all and my blood sugar level is always good."

americanrose February 21, 2009

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I consider Glucophage a successful treatment because it has been prescribed to me for ten years and I've had no adverse effects at all. Aside from favorable blood-sugar results, I don't even feel the drug is in my system."

Anonymous January 26, 2009

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This drug helped me control my eating habits and lowered my weight. However, I developed constipation."

Anonymous December 11, 2008

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Diabetes, Type 2