User Reviews for Glucophage

Learn more about Glucophage.

Glucophage review summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Glucophage to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Review by RobertLease:

Severe Diarrhea, unable to do my job because of it.

April 16, 2014 9:40 PM

Review by J. Copeland:

I've had Type-2 Diabetes for a few years.. and have gained over 100lbs. I have been on the Metformin for a month and have lost 28lbs. Glucophage is amazing but I will admit at first I was very sick. After a about a week I started to feel normal again.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2013 2:10 PM

Review by larry555 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Does not keep the sugar from spiking

May 15, 2013 5:03 AM

Gave me diarrhea.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2012 1:04 AM

I had diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, headaches and muscle pain. It did not control my blood sugar either. I never want to feel like that again. But on the other hand my husband is able to take it with no side effects and it keeps his blood sugar between 90 and 130.

March 28, 2012 6:27 PM

Made me very sick, headache, constant diarrhea, very bad head and chest cold, lower right leg started to swell.

March 20, 2012 11:14 AM

I've been taking this medicine for a month today. I have seen a significant and favorable drop in my blood sugar however, I've never felt sicker in my entire life. Everyday since starting this I've been nauseous even to the point of vomiting. I find that I now have motion sickness and since I take public transport, I sometimes have to get off the bus to vomit. I always have diarrhea. I sometimes have fever symptoms, chills along with a feeling of being very cold, and terrible headaches. I've also become quite anxious, restless, and moody, which may be a side effect of these side effects. I've lost 12lbs and I find myself eating less which is awesome but I'm ALWAYS nauseous, which is why I have no appetite.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 6, 2012 8:44 AM

It works very well and there are few side effects. My blood sugar will get low but it does not drop like insulin can do. I watch what I eat and maintain exercise and my numbers are always good. I recommend this medication.

January 27, 2012 1:00 PM

After a few weeks of taking this my blood sugars came right down and have stayed low.

March 5, 2011 4:51 AM

Review by nancybuttner:

This medicine helped me control my eating and to lose weight and bring my sugar down without dropping it to low. I was on another medication and it would drop my sugar too low and I was always having to take the sugar tablets to bring it back up. At first it upset my stomach but after a few weeks that was gone. It has worked very well for my husband also and has kept both of our sugars at a normal rate.

January 17, 2011 4:00 PM

I took this medicine for a very short while. It began with serious nausea followed by vomiting a couple of weeks later. I could not take this medicine.

March 23, 2010 3:26 PM

My husband and I are both on this medicine. He takes 1000 mg morning and evening. I take the max at 850 mg each meal. We have to keep a packet of desiccant in the bottle to absorb the horrible fishy smell. We both have the side effect, even years later, of bloating, gas, and flatulence. We call this pill our "gas" medication. But it lowers our blood sugar with few other side effects. If we're out, we take it on our return home if possible to prevent inflicting our flatulence on others.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 3, 2010 2:58 AM

I was on this medication for about a year and I had horrible side effects.

October 12, 2009 8:53 AM

My doctor recommend glucophage 500mg twice a day, with breakfast and dinner. With breakfast also take 5mg Glocotrol. It made my sugar level /- 100 while previously was as high as 400.

August 12, 2009 11:07 PM

Review by americanrose:

I have been taking Glucophage for 11 years. I have never had any side effects at all and my blood sugar level is always good.

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2009 3:45 AM

I consider Glucophage a successful treatment because it has been prescribed to me for ten years and I've had no adverse effects at all. Aside from favorable blood-sugar results, I don't even feel the drug is in my system.

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2009 5:20 PM

This drug helped me control my eating habits and lowered my weight. However, I developed constipation.

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2008 10:53 AM