User Reviews for Glucophage

Learn more about Glucophage.

Insulin Resistance Syndrome 3 reviews 15 medications

7.3
Diabetes, Type 2 19 reviews 118 medications

6.6
Summary of Glucophage reviews 22 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Glucophage

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Metformin (Glucophage generic) works very well without any side effects (maybe a small bit of diarrhea and gas - but that helps getting rid of my constipation). I am NOT overweight. In great shape with running, playing tennis and golf, etc. Age 65. Never was overweight. Got diabetes from drinking way too much Coca Cola and eating too much sweets (donuts, cake, candies, etc.). Always burned off the sugar so never put on weight. Never knew sugar was a poison that affects metabolism. Started taking metformin (3 X 800 daily dosage two years ago. With diet changes, brought down my blood glucose level from 358 to 130, and A1C from 15.9 to 6.7. Not out of the woods yet, but huge improvement and metformin is the only drug that works for me"

Littleton (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 27, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Glucophage XR 500mg or 1000mg Tabs (I either take 2~500mg Tabs in the Morning and 2~500mg Tabs with Dinner/Supper, or I take 1~1000mg Tab in the Morning and 1~1000mg Tab with Dinner/Supper.) I Totally Love this medicine. It's been one of the best medicines that I have ever taken to help keep my BLOOD SUGARS UNDER CONTROL! "UNLIKE THE GENERIC METFORMIN", THAT REALLY MESSED ME UP, AND WAS MY WORST NIGHTMARE! NOBODY WOOD LISTEN TO ME! MY DOCTOR'S, MY PHARMACIST'S, THE EMERGENCY ROOM, MY THERAPIST, MY PSYCHIATRIST, AND ESPECIALLY MEDICAID, AND MEDICARE PART D! SO AGAINST MEDICAL ADVICE I QUIT TAKING GENERIC "METFORMIN", AND A YEAR AND HALF LATER THEY PUT ME BACK ON GLUCOPHAGE XR! LIFE BECAME WONDERFUL AGAIN!"

yieyie17 October 5, 2014

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome "I have been on this tablet for 6 months for my polycystic ovarian syndrome and I am now getting period every 28 days on the spot! But 6 months into it I am starting to feel something like a blockage and feeling nausea and vomiting, this normally happens after my dose after dinner time. I am on 1500mg a day and doctor tells me no way it could be the tablet so now have to go for a scope. "

flicka30 May 25, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Severe Diarrhea, unable to do my job because of it."

RobertLease April 16, 2014

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome "Side effects had a tremendous role in decreasing quality of life."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 19, 2014

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome "So far, I have been on Glucophage for 2 1/2 weeks for Insulin Resistance due to Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I had a little nausea and diarrhea the first two days. By day three or four, I had no more negative side effects. It worked very quickly, I quickly began to lose weight and started menstruating again. My skin also began to clear up within the first week. Glucophage helps so many of the terrible issues caused by PCOS. I need more time to better evaluate the medicine, but so far it is like a miracle. If it is taken with food, the side effects are negligible."

LillySos (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2014

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I've had Type-2 Diabetes for a few years.. and have gained over 100lbs. I have been on the Metformin for a month and have lost 28lbs. Glucophage is amazing but I will admit at first I was very sick. After a about a week I started to feel normal again."

J. Copeland July 26, 2013

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Does not keep the sugar from spiking"

larry555 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 15, 2013

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Gave me diarrhea."

Anonymous December 7, 2012

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I had diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, headaches and muscle pain. It did not control my blood sugar either. I never want to feel like that again. But on the other hand my husband is able to take it with no side effects and it keeps his blood sugar between 90 and 130."

Anonymous March 28, 2012

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Made me very sick, headache, constant diarrhea, very bad head and chest cold, lower right leg started to swell."

Anonymous March 20, 2012

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I've been taking this medicine for a month today. I have seen a significant and favorable drop in my blood sugar however, I've never felt sicker in my entire life. Everyday since starting this I've been nauseous even to the point of vomiting. I find that I now have motion sickness and since I take public transport, I sometimes have to get off the bus to vomit. I always have diarrhea. I sometimes have fever symptoms, chills along with a feeling of being very cold, and terrible headaches. I've also become quite anxious, restless, and moody, which may be a side effect of these side effects. I've lost 12lbs and I find myself eating less which is awesome but I'm ALWAYS nauseous, which is why I have no appetite."

Anonymous February 6, 2012

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2 "It works very well and there are few side effects. My blood sugar will get low but it does not drop like insulin can do. I watch what I eat and maintain exercise and my numbers are always good. I recommend this medication."

Anonymous January 27, 2012

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome "This medicine has definitely improved my quality of life. Within the first 2 weeks of starting metformin, I lost 8 pounds (where before I struggled to lose weight). Now I am in a healthy BMI for my height group. I experienced no nausea while taking this medicine (I took it in the middle of a meal). I did experience some intestinal side effects (gas / diarrhea) for the first week, and the first week I increased my dose."

Anonymous September 27, 2011

For Female Infertility "Did 5 failed IVF and 2 months on this and got pregnant naturally."

Anonymous September 8, 2011

For Diabetes, Type 2 "After a few weeks of taking this my blood sugars came right down and have stayed low."

Anonymous March 5, 2011

For Diabetes, Type 2 "This medicine helped me control my eating and to lose weight and bring my sugar down without dropping it to low. I was on another medication and it would drop my sugar too low and I was always having to take the sugar tablets to bring it back up. At first it upset my stomach but after a few weeks that was gone. It has worked very well for my husband also and has kept both of our sugars at a normal rate."

nancybuttner January 17, 2011

For Female Infertility "By personal experience 3 of 5 of my friends get successful results when used Glucophage."

dunya August 17, 2010

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I took this medicine for a very short while. It began with serious nausea followed by vomiting a couple of weeks later. I could not take this medicine."

Anonymous March 23, 2010

For Diabetes, Type 2 "My husband and I are both on this medicine. He takes 1000 mg morning and evening. I take the max at 850 mg each meal. We have to keep a packet of desiccant in the bottle to absorb the horrible fishy smell. We both have the side effect, even years later, of bloating, gas, and flatulence. We call this pill our "gas" medication. But it lowers our blood sugar with few other side effects. If we're out, we take it on our return home if possible to prevent inflicting our flatulence on others."

Anonymous March 3, 2010

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome "I have been using it for 2 months now and it has helped me so much. I have been able to lose weight. Which over the past 4 yrs I have had trainers and everything else anyone tries to lose weight, with very heart breaking results. This has helped with my moods as well. It hasn't been that long, but I wish this could have been figured out years ago. I've made more progress in 2 months than I have in the past 4 years."

Anonymous December 29, 2009

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome "My experience with metformin has been awesome. I have been using this medicine for about a year now and have has great results. I know have regular periods which is great because I used to get it every 15 days or miss months here and there. Another fantastic thing is that I can now function when I am menstruating which used to be impossible for me due to the horrible pain. I now have manageable pain and don't have to get shots for it. I've also been able to lose 77 lbs that I had gained. Overall I've had a wonderful experience with this medication. I believe that taking my doctor's advice was the best thing I ever did, I think the combination of the medicine, changed eating habits and exercise all helped."

burbuja November 6, 2009

154 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I was on this medication for about a year and I had horrible side effects. "

Anonymous October 12, 2009

For Diabetes, Type 2 "My doctor recommend glucophage 500mg twice a day, with breakfast and dinner. With breakfast also take 5mg Glocotrol. It made my sugar level /- 100 while previously was as high as 400. "

Anonymous August 12, 2009

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome "It works great, but the downfall of Metformin is it causes you to have diarrhea but it controls my insulin resistance."

blackhawk7ca May 7, 2009