User Reviews for Glucophage

Learn more about Glucophage.

Insulin Resistance Syndrome 3 reviews 15 medications

7.3
Diabetes, Type 2 17 reviews 121 medications

6.1
Summary of Glucophage reviews 20 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Glucophage

Review by flicka30:

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: I have been on this tablet for 6 months for my polycystic ovarian syndrome and I am now getting period every 28 days on the spot! But 6 months into it I am starting to feel something like a blockage and feeling nausea and vomiting, this normally happens after my dose after dinner time. I am on 1500mg a day and doctor tells me no way it could be the tablet so now have to go for a scope.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 25, 2014 4:21 PM

Review by RobertLease:

For Diabetes, Type 2: Severe Diarrhea, unable to do my job because of it.

April 16, 2014 9:40 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: Side effects had a tremendous role in decreasing quality of life.

March 19, 2014 11:08 PM

Review by LillySos (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: So far, I have been on Glucophage for 2 1/2 weeks for Insulin Resistance due to Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I had a little nausea and diarrhea the first two days. By day three or four, I had no more negative side effects. It worked very quickly, I quickly began to lose weight and started menstruating again. My skin also began to clear up within the first week. Glucophage helps so many of the terrible issues caused by PCOS. I need more time to better evaluate the medicine, but so far it is like a miracle. If it is taken with food, the side effects are negligible.

January 26, 2014 9:34 PM

Review by J. Copeland:

For Diabetes, Type 2: I've had Type-2 Diabetes for a few years.. and have gained over 100lbs. I have been on the Metformin for a month and have lost 28lbs. Glucophage is amazing but I will admit at first I was very sick. After a about a week I started to feel normal again.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2013 2:10 PM

Review by larry555 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Diabetes, Type 2: Does not keep the sugar from spiking

May 15, 2013 5:03 AM

For Diabetes, Type 2: Gave me diarrhea.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2012 1:04 AM

For Diabetes, Type 2: I had diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, headaches and muscle pain. It did not control my blood sugar either. I never want to feel like that again. But on the other hand my husband is able to take it with no side effects and it keeps his blood sugar between 90 and 130.

March 28, 2012 6:27 PM

For Diabetes, Type 2: Made me very sick, headache, constant diarrhea, very bad head and chest cold, lower right leg started to swell.

March 20, 2012 11:14 AM

For Diabetes, Type 2: I've been taking this medicine for a month today. I have seen a significant and favorable drop in my blood sugar however, I've never felt sicker in my entire life. Everyday since starting this I've been nauseous even to the point of vomiting. I find that I now have motion sickness and since I take public transport, I sometimes have to get off the bus to vomit. I always have diarrhea. I sometimes have fever symptoms, chills along with a feeling of being very cold, and terrible headaches. I've also become quite anxious, restless, and moody, which may be a side effect of these side effects. I've lost 12lbs and I find myself eating less which is awesome but I'm ALWAYS nauseous, which is why I have no appetite.

February 6, 2012 8:44 AM

For Diabetes, Type 2: It works very well and there are few side effects. My blood sugar will get low but it does not drop like insulin can do. I watch what I eat and maintain exercise and my numbers are always good. I recommend this medication.

January 27, 2012 1:00 PM

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: This medicine has definitely improved my quality of life. Within the first 2 weeks of starting metformin, I lost 8 pounds (where before I struggled to lose weight). Now I am in a healthy BMI for my height group. I experienced no nausea while taking this medicine (I took it in the middle of a meal). I did experience some intestinal side effects (gas / diarrhea) for the first week, and the first week I increased my dose.

September 27, 2011 2:17 PM

For Female Infertility: Did 5 failed IVF and 2 months on this and got pregnant naturally.

September 8, 2011 4:14 AM

For Diabetes, Type 2: After a few weeks of taking this my blood sugars came right down and have stayed low.

March 5, 2011 4:51 AM

Review by nancybuttner:

For Diabetes, Type 2: This medicine helped me control my eating and to lose weight and bring my sugar down without dropping it to low. I was on another medication and it would drop my sugar too low and I was always having to take the sugar tablets to bring it back up. At first it upset my stomach but after a few weeks that was gone. It has worked very well for my husband also and has kept both of our sugars at a normal rate.

January 17, 2011 4:00 PM

Review by dunya:

For Female Infertility: By personal experience 3 of 5 of my friends get successful results when used Glucophage.

August 17, 2010 11:11 AM

For Diabetes, Type 2: I took this medicine for a very short while. It began with serious nausea followed by vomiting a couple of weeks later. I could not take this medicine.

March 23, 2010 3:26 PM

For Diabetes, Type 2: My husband and I are both on this medicine. He takes 1000 mg morning and evening. I take the max at 850 mg each meal. We have to keep a packet of desiccant in the bottle to absorb the horrible fishy smell. We both have the side effect, even years later, of bloating, gas, and flatulence. We call this pill our "gas" medication. But it lowers our blood sugar with few other side effects. If we're out, we take it on our return home if possible to prevent inflicting our flatulence on others.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 3, 2010 2:58 AM

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I have been using it for 2 months now and it has helped me so much. I have been able to lose weight. Which over the past 4 yrs I have had trainers and everything else anyone tries to lose weight, with very heart breaking results. This has helped with my moods as well. It hasn't been that long, but I wish this could have been figured out years ago. I've made more progress in 2 months than I have in the past 4 years.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2009 8:53 PM

Review by burbuja:

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: My experience with metformin has been awesome. I have been using this medicine for about a year now and have has great results. I know have regular periods which is great because I used to get it every 15 days or miss months here and there. Another fantastic thing is that I can now function when I am menstruating which used to be impossible for me due to the horrible pain. I now have manageable pain and don't have to get shots for it. I've also been able to lose 77 lbs that I had gained. Overall I've had a wonderful experience with this medication. I believe that taking my doctor's advice was the best thing I ever did, I think the combination of the medicine, changed eating habits and exercise all helped.

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2009 9:47 PM

For Diabetes, Type 2: I was on this medication for about a year and I had horrible side effects.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 12, 2009 8:53 AM

For Diabetes, Type 2: My doctor recommend glucophage 500mg twice a day, with breakfast and dinner. With breakfast also take 5mg Glocotrol. It made my sugar level /- 100 while previously was as high as 400.

August 12, 2009 11:07 PM

Review by blackhawk7ca:

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: It works great, but the downfall of Metformin is it causes you to have diarrhea but it controls my insulin resistance.

May 7, 2009 3:33 PM

Review by americanrose:

For Diabetes, Type 2: I have been taking Glucophage for 11 years. I have never had any side effects at all and my blood sugar level is always good.

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2009 3:45 AM

For Diabetes, Type 2: I consider Glucophage a successful treatment because it has been prescribed to me for ten years and I've had no adverse effects at all. Aside from favorable blood-sugar results, I don't even feel the drug is in my system.

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2009 5:20 PM