User Reviews for Demerol

Learn more about Demerol.

Demerol review summary

9.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 1834 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Demerol to treat Pain

Review by Donna le Bête-Noire (taken for less than 1 month):

The last 4 weeks of my pregnancy, I began suffering severe gall bladder issues. After birth, I tried to tough it out, due to nursing. Ten weeks later (14 weeks on) I was in pain unlike anything I'd ever known! A stone had passed out of my gall bladder into the common duct shared with the pancreas, and had lodged in my pancreas - I was also suffering severe pancreatitis. AGONY would've been a blessing. After trying numerous medicines that didn't touch the pain, I was given Demoral. OH! MY! GAWD! I was in tears, because for the first time in months, I didn't feel like I was on Death's door. I'd forgotten what it meant to be pain - free! Every few hours, beautiful nurses came, and "topped me off". My "con"? For the first 20 minutes, I couldn't shut up!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 4, 2014 6:27 PM

Review by Austin0533:

Got Demerol at ER when I had severe abdominal pain. I watched her inject it while I was sitting up. I immediately felt warm and got a head-rush. Great Medication, took ALL the pain away.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 14, 2014 12:13 AM

Review by Krickee:

This medicine was given to me at hospital after my car accident. It worked great, except it made me nauseated and I vomited after a large dose. Works really well.

August 28, 2013 8:40 AM

Review by ChocBrutus (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have arthritis and have tried many over the counter medicines as Aspirin, Motrin, etc. These medicines increased my diastolic blood pressure upwards of 30 points. (I already have high blood pressure). The doctor then tried Oxycodone and again my BP went significantly up. Hydrocodone had the same result. As a last resort for a pain med I was given Demerol (50MG). No increase in BP and no side effects. It takes upwards of two hours to kick in but does a good job of numbing pain. Apparently I am sensitive to all NSAIDS. (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications).

March 27, 2013 3:23 PM

Review by DougPal:

Used for kidney stones and tooth operations. Made me sing like a Beatle.

February 18, 2013 4:06 PM

Review by lola99 (taken for less than 1 month):

I was given this for pain associated with Crohn's disease and for a migraine during a hospital stay. It works great for pain, lasting longer than Dilaudid. Only down side is both times it made me throw up even though I was given anti nausea medication 30 minutes beforehand.

February 10, 2013 10:29 AM

Review by XcrossbonesX (taken for 5 to 10 years):

This medicine is sadly being used less and less in the emergency rooms. I am tolerant to morphine and allergic to many other pain medications. Demerol not only stops the pain but it stops it for a good 14-16 hours if I am given 100 mg IM with 50 mg Gravol. I walk out of the ER on my own like I took a Tylenol. Takes a few hours to kick in but when it does I usually get the best 10-12 hours of sleep which helps decrease the pain since I can rest and let my muscles be at rest. I pray they do not discontinue this medicine. It helps many people for break through pain where others don't, especially for use people with CRPS and Fibromyalgia. It's a miracle medicine for me. I use this about 3 to 4 times a year if needed for breakthrough pain lasting more than 72 hours.

January 4, 2013 12:44 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Excellent fast acing and long acting pain medicine without nausea and vomiting associated with most all other pain medications.

September 19, 2012 11:03 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I suffer from severe chronic Migraines. At least once a week I have to go in and get a shot. I hate to do it but the pain is so severe that that is the only option right now.

September 11, 2012 1:42 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Just wanna say Demerol is the best pain reliever I've ever taken. I received in the ER through IV. I have Crohn's disease and it worked better then anything else I was given.

August 26, 2012 1:26 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Great pain relief after abdominal surgery

June 1, 2012 12:34 AM

I went into the hospital over the weekend for a pancreas attack. Nothing can be done for you other than pain management. I was given Demerol via IV and had the best sleep of my life that entire weekend. It was almost like a great vacation. It went in the IV, I said bye bye, and fell asleep for hours with no pain. I loved it, no withdrawal symptoms, no side effects.

March 7, 2012 1:58 AM

I had a blood clot in my left lung. The pain, which morphine wouldn't even come close to touching, was unbearable. Every time I took a breath I would get a sharp stabbing pain. For 3 days I sat in a the chair in my hospital room because I couldn't lay back or put pressure on my back because of the pain. Then one night it got so bad that The nurse called my doctor and was able to give me a shot of Demerol. Needless to say that was the first night I actually slept and pretty comfortably I might add. Within 2 min of the shot the pain was completly gone and I could breath again.

February 7, 2012 11:15 PM

I was in the ER for a broken orbital bone and they gave me a shot of Demerol and I felt like a million bucks. Instant relief. World's better than Morphine.

November 21, 2011 8:48 AM

Review by sick and in pain:

This medication even though only one half absorbed orally was the best pain medicine I have ever used for my Lupus pain. It worked fast and if I was not in Pain in 3-4 hrs. I did not have a hung over effect. I have not taken this medicine in several years because the pain medicines were swapped to Dilaudid for several years. Demerol is not as strong which was great and did not cause constipation.

July 6, 2011 1:45 AM

Review by Jen197666:

I have been suffering for years with my lower back and degeneration disease in lower back. I have been on everything imaginable from Lortabs to Roxicodone. Today I was given 100mg Demerol along with Lortab 10's. I feel like I'm living now instead of just existing!

September 2, 2010 2:44 PM

I had a ruptured cyst on my ovaries and had just came out of surgery, the pain was so intense I had Demerol and Gravel in an injection. It was very good but extremely strong. The only side effects I found was a dry mouth but it helped me. Best medicine I have had in a long time.

April 18, 2010 1:17 AM

Review by J browne:

I was prescribed Demerol by my dentist this morning. I have to have oral surgery tomorrow. I took a 50mg tablet and waited for the pain to subside. It didn't so I took another one. Still no luck. I called my dentist back and she told me to take 2 which I did. Still not much relief.

March 30, 2010 3:17 PM

Review by clusterh:

Not even morphine takes away the pain of the cluster headaches like demerol

January 10, 2010 2:19 PM

Review by ISY:

I have been taking Demerol for several years for pain and it is the only medication that has worked for me. It is amazing how well it works without side effects.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 10, 2009 4:44 PM

Demerol when gave through iv is best when mixed with an anti nausea medication called Phenergan. It makes the Demerol work a lot better than when given alone.

October 16, 2009 10:40 PM

Review by Eagle1455:

I've found DEMEROL given through IM and IV, to be one of the MOST effective narcotic "PAIN RELIEVERS" given to me after a very traumatic accident and a broken neck

October 1, 2009 3:12 PM

Review by Jimmy James:

I was having nerve pain after having dental work done. The nerve was compressed and it felt like I was getting shocked every couple of seconds. Demerol is first off, 50% less effective as a per oral medication (Tablet) than it is when it's given IM or IV. So I would have to take 100mg 4x/day. It did mute the pain, but it never went away and it wasn't a medication I was able to continue really functioning on because of the sedation.

September 17, 2009 10:12 PM

I've been on pain therapy for two years with a cracked disc in my neck and two bulging discs also in my neck. They have caused loss of function in my right arm and severe migraines and back pain. We started with Vicodin and then moved to Percocet. I have built up a tolerance and never received total relief so my doctor put me on Demerol last week. I have to say the pain relief it gives me is great but the doctor told me to stop the Percocet completely. I think I should have tapered down first because I have had withdrawal symptoms for several days (night sweats, insomnia, etc) Demerol is great but if you've been on long term pain medicine, when you switch make sure you discuss with your doctor the side effects of transitioning from one medicine to another.

September 17, 2009 7:10 PM

Review by KCMOMMA:

I was given Demorol for pain in the ER about (3)days ago for terrible menstrual cramps and I can say it is definitely a 10 for pain, but the side effects are not the best. I have been drowsy, thirsty, and still a little dizzy, but I guess it depends on the individual.

September 15, 2009 10:36 AM