User Reviews for Demerol

Learn more about Demerol.

Demerol Review Summary

9.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 1851 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Demerol to treat Pain

"I suffer from bladder seizures. My doctor put me on demerol in 1997. I take 100mg twice a day. I have tried other meds, such as Percocet, oxycodone but those gave me too many side effects. I'm allergic to codeine. Each month I see my doctor and get a new prescription. I just found out my pharmacy ( Medicine Shop) cannot get it in any size dosage anymore! I tried Walgreens, Walmart and CVS. No one carries it or is willing to try to get it. What's going on? My only alternative is 12-16 Advil a day, every day."

Brick wall March 19, 2015

"Demerol provides very clean pain relief. It simply turns off the pain like a switch. I felt no euphoria, numbness, thickening or noticeable impairment. It is highly restricted and after the critical period the medication was switched to something less addictive yet far less effective and carrying unwanted baggage. "

Drugs.com Reviewer (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2015

"I had ruptured disks in my spine due to an ongoing issue I was having. I cannot take morphine because it does not react well with me. My doctor gave me 100 mg. 2X a day and for once in my life I didn't want to die anymore because I was in so much pain. I had tried everything Tylenol to oxycontin. Nothing even touched it. So I was very pleased and relieved when I found something that worked. And I can even move around with less pain."

mooshoo (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 17, 2014

"The last 4 weeks of my pregnancy, I began suffering severe gall bladder issues. After birth, I tried to tough it out, due to nursing. Ten weeks later (14 weeks on) I was in pain unlike anything I'd ever known! A stone had passed out of my gall bladder into the common duct shared with the pancreas, and had lodged in my pancreas - I was also suffering severe pancreatitis. AGONY would've been a blessing. After trying numerous medicines that didn't touch the pain, I was given Demoral. OH! MY! GAWD! I was in tears, because for the first time in months, I didn't feel like I was on Death's door. I'd forgotten what it meant to be pain - free! Every few hours, beautiful nurses came, and "topped me off". My "con"? For the first 20 minutes, I couldn't shut up!"

Donna le Bête-Noire (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2014

"Got Demerol at ER when I had severe abdominal pain. I watched her inject it while I was sitting up. I immediately felt warm and got a head-rush. Great Medication, took ALL the pain away."

Austin0533 May 14, 2014

"This medicine was given to me at hospital after my car accident. It worked great, except it made me nauseated and I vomited after a large dose. Works really well."

Krickee August 28, 2013

"I have arthritis and have tried many over the counter medicines as Aspirin, Motrin, etc. These medicines increased my diastolic blood pressure upwards of 30 points. (I already have high blood pressure). The doctor then tried Oxycodone and again my BP went significantly up. Hydrocodone had the same result. As a last resort for a pain med I was given Demerol (50MG). No increase in BP and no side effects. It takes upwards of two hours to kick in but does a good job of numbing pain. Apparently I am sensitive to all NSAIDS. (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications). "

ChocBrutus (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2013

"Used for kidney stones and tooth operations. Made me sing like a Beatle."

DougPal February 18, 2013

"I was given this for pain associated with Crohn's disease and for a migraine during a hospital stay. It works great for pain, lasting longer than Dilaudid. Only down side is both times it made me throw up even though I was given anti nausea medication 30 minutes beforehand."

lola99 (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2013

"This medicine is sadly being used less and less in the emergency rooms. I am tolerant to morphine and allergic to many other pain medications. Demerol not only stops the pain but it stops it for a good 14-16 hours if I am given 100 mg IM with 50 mg Gravol. I walk out of the ER on my own like I took a Tylenol. Takes a few hours to kick in but when it does I usually get the best 10-12 hours of sleep which helps decrease the pain since I can rest and let my muscles be at rest. I pray they do not discontinue this medicine. It helps many people for break through pain where others don't, especially for use people with CRPS and Fibromyalgia. It's a miracle medicine for me. I use this about 3 to 4 times a year if needed for breakthrough pain lasting more than 72 hours."

XcrossbonesX (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Excellent fast acing and long acting pain medicine without nausea and vomiting associated with most all other pain medications."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2012

"I suffer from severe chronic Migraines. At least once a week I have to go in and get a shot. I hate to do it but the pain is so severe that that is the only option right now."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 11, 2012

"Just wanna say Demerol is the best pain reliever I've ever taken. I received in the ER through IV. I have Crohn's disease and it worked better then anything else I was given."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 26, 2012

"Great pain relief after abdominal surgery"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2012

"I went into the hospital over the weekend for a pancreas attack. Nothing can be done for you other than pain management. I was given Demerol via IV and had the best sleep of my life that entire weekend. It was almost like a great vacation. It went in the IV, I said bye bye, and fell asleep for hours with no pain. I loved it, no withdrawal symptoms, no side effects. "

Anonymous March 7, 2012

"I had a blood clot in my left lung. The pain, which morphine wouldn't even come close to touching, was unbearable. Every time I took a breath I would get a sharp stabbing pain. For 3 days I sat in a the chair in my hospital room because I couldn't lay back or put pressure on my back because of the pain. Then one night it got so bad that The nurse called my doctor and was able to give me a shot of Demerol. Needless to say that was the first night I actually slept and pretty comfortably I might add. Within 2 min of the shot the pain was completly gone and I could breath again."

Anonymous February 7, 2012

"I was in the ER for a broken orbital bone and they gave me a shot of Demerol and I felt like a million bucks. Instant relief. World's better than Morphine."

Anonymous November 21, 2011

"This medication even though only one half absorbed orally was the best pain medicine I have ever used for my Lupus pain. It worked fast and if I was not in Pain in 3-4 hrs. I did not have a hung over effect. I have not taken this medicine in several years because the pain medicines were swapped to Dilaudid for several years. Demerol is not as strong which was great and did not cause constipation."

sick and in pain July 6, 2011

"I have been suffering for years with my lower back and degeneration disease in lower back. I have been on everything imaginable from Lortabs to Roxicodone. Today I was given 100mg Demerol along with Lortab 10's. I feel like I'm living now instead of just existing!"

Jen197666 September 2, 2010

"I had a ruptured cyst on my ovaries and had just came out of surgery, the pain was so intense I had Demerol and Gravel in an injection. It was very good but extremely strong. The only side effects I found was a dry mouth but it helped me. Best medicine I have had in a long time."

Anonymous April 18, 2010

"I was prescribed Demerol by my dentist this morning. I have to have oral surgery tomorrow. I took a 50mg tablet and waited for the pain to subside. It didn't so I took another one. Still no luck. I called my dentist back and she told me to take 2 which I did. Still not much relief."

J browne March 30, 2010

"Not even morphine takes away the pain of the cluster headaches like demerol"

clusterh January 10, 2010

"I have been taking Demerol for several years for pain and it is the only medication that has worked for me. It is amazing how well it works without side effects. "

ISY November 10, 2009

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Demerol when gave through iv is best when mixed with an anti nausea medication called Phenergan. It makes the Demerol work a lot better than when given alone."

Anonymous October 16, 2009

"I've found DEMEROL given through IM and IV, to be one of the MOST effective narcotic "PAIN RELIEVERS" given to me after a very traumatic accident and a broken neck"

Eagle1455 October 1, 2009