User Reviews for Provera

Learn more about Provera.

Provera review summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 160 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Provera to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I was bleeding for 7 weeks lightly and then all of a sudden it came and I was passing large clots and a lot of blood. My doctor put me on Provera 10mg twice a day. I had a horrible headache and felt tired but my period did stop which is great.

May 7, 2014 10:06 PM

Review by MizzTaylor88 (taken for less than 1 month):

My experience with Provera has been a very painful situation. I am 26 and was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome at the age of 22. I never had regular periods since the age of 15. I was always on some form of birth control to regulate. I was taking the Depo-Povera shot (depo shot) for about 6 months before I decided to get off due to the excessive weight gain. The Nurse Practitioner weaned me off of the shot and decided to give me the Micronor birth control pills which did not help as well. I have been on my cycle for 2.5. months. I can ot afford insurance,the only thing I could do was to go to the emergency room. I seen the ER dr there where she gave me the Provera 10mg four times a day. My bleeding has gotten heavier.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2014 6:00 PM

Review by Kat923:

Works right like it said it would but heavy bleeding.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2014 9:33 AM

Review by mscici:

I was taking Provera for 5 days after my fifth day my period came on a week later and has been on for a week I wanted to know how long would it last. Before I had this my cycle stayed on for 3 months none stop.

August 26, 2013 4:04 PM

Review by Sha-Sha:

I am 22 and I had my period for 5 weeks straight so I went to the doctor and they told me I lost so much blood I had to get a blood transfusion then they put me on Provera 10mg 3 x a day for 2 months. At first it stopped the bleeding for a month but then the Provera stopped working so my Dr. switched me on birth control and that doesn't work either. I've been bleeding for a month now. I don't know what to do.

December 31, 2011 6:41 AM

Review by sparr0w:

I was having severe bleeding with large clots which lasted for 3 weeks. Finally saw the Doctor and he gave me 10mg for 10 days. This is day 9. I stopped bleeding 2 days ago. I love this medicine, really. I'm hungry more often, but that's okay. Unsure what will happen when I stop taking it.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 5, 2011 11:30 PM

I started taking Provera January 7th because I had 3 different periods in the month of December, regular (change every 2-3 hrs), to light (barely noticed it (changed every 4-5 hrs), to extremely heavy with huge clots (literally changed everytime I stood up because there would be a gush of blood). I was told to take it for about 2 weeks and that I would have a period afterwards. I stopped bleeding but I got my period a couple of days before the 2 weeks were up. The side effects I've had are nausea (seriously sick to my stomach, the mere thought of food almost made me regurgitate), and my body was extremely sore and it made me tired. I still have pills and honestly not sure if I should still be taking it but I guess the pills work.

January 23, 2011 2:18 PM

Worked just like the Dr. said. I had been bleeding for 5 months without stopping. Took Provera for 2 weeks, and then started bleeding very heavily. Bled for almost 2 more weeks, and have now completely stopped bleeding. Just started taking Provera again for 2nd month. It makes me a little sleepy and dizzy, but it is well worth it to get my bleeding regulated!

December 14, 2009 5:10 PM

Multiple cervical polyps: I have been taking this medication for 3 months, for 14 days each month. Side effects include increased hunger (actually I am pleased about this as I am rarely hungry and don't really enjoy food). I have read that it can cause depression, but for me it is the opposite. I am far less depressed and have more energy and feel less overwhelmed. The effects only last for the 2 weeks that I am taking it each month. My body seems to love this medicine. It is too soon to ascertain whether my polyps have shrunk/disappeared. I am going to be re-tested in three months. If it hasn't worked then I am going to try the Mirena coil.

July 1, 2009 5:35 AM

Review by SassyKay:

I am 47 and this is my second time on Provera. The only side effects I have noticed are intense night sweats. I am hotter than usual. The day after my first dose, I was nauseous and had a headache like a hangover, it has happened a few other times during the 10 days. I do think, that I can live with 10 days a month of the Provera because I was bleeding a lot. I was stuck at home. At least now, even if I don't feel good I can still leave home.

March 25, 2009 4:54 AM

Review by Jane F:

I am a 51 year old female. In January 2008 I had a light period that lasted for 4 days and then stopped. Five days later I started bleeding again. I had such a heavy flow with clotting that I had to change every 2 hours. After the 14th day, I began to get very weak. My mother convinced me that this was not normal and to see a gynecologist. On day 16 of this heavy bleeding I went to the gynecologist. She told me I was going through menopause and prescribed Provera. On the next day, I was to take 20mg for 10 days. After 2 days, I stopped bleeding. On day 12 my doctor told me I needed to do this for the next 3 months and each month would get better and it would help me through menopause. I do not feel good at all when I take the Provera.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 14, 2009 11:13 AM

Review by aries81us:

I had abnormal uterine bleeding and I didn't know why. I started passing clots & was bleeding irregularly. I thought, at first, that I was having a miscarriage. I went to my GYN. She prescribed Provera 10mg once a day for 10 days. I just finished my prescription & the only problem that I'm having now is sensitive breast. Other than that, my bleeding has completely stopped.

215 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 8, 2008 11:36 PM