User Reviews for Provera

Learn more about Provera.

Provera Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 145 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Provera to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"Well my period stopped for two months. And then came back on in nov of last year and has been ever since with heavy flowing. My doctor prescribe provera for 10 days and after I was finish it came back on and much more. So I'm trying provera the second time and hope for the best."

Babypfat (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2016

"I'm 42 years old. I'm diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I've been stuggling with this for 20 years, right after I had my son. I was recently diagnosed with PCOS. I went to the doctor because I had constant bleeding, spotting, cramps, etc. The Gyn made some tests and I got polyps on my upper side of the uterus. I went for a surgery, and got them out. To reduce the bleeding, the Dr prescribed Provera. Took the pill as told, got my period after 7 day. First days were fine, but the last 5 of them were heavy, with clots...It was horrible, but it helped me to stop the abnormal bleeding. Before the treatment, I was very depressed, just by not been able to leave the house without a pad,was stressful. Now, I can have my life back!"

Living Hope (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 27, 2016

"I went almost 3 months without a period. I should've known I was in for trouble but I just let it slide until the day I started my period. I bled for 5 weeks non stop. It was very heavy with lots of large clots. I went to the ER eventually and the Dr prescribed me provera 10 mg for 10 days. It was awesome for 10 days almost no bleeding just spotting here and there. I came off of provera and 2 days later I'm bleeding 10 times worse and a lot more clots then I was before taking the drug. Somethings got to give I just want to be able to be normal again!"

I just want to be normal again (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2015

"I was bleeding large clots nonstop for 3 months. I kept going to the ER and they did nothing. The last time I went my RBC count was so low I had to have 2 blood transfusions along with surgery. I was given Provera to take. I have been taking it now for 5 days and the blood is completely gone. I am just worried it will come back when the pills are gone."

Danielle b December 11, 2015

"Provera has been a wonder drug for me. I have been taking it for about 4 years now. I have no more periods. They were so bad after I had my son 15 years ago. I couldn't function. This drug has been great for me. I will continue to take it as long as I can."

No more periods November 30, 2015

"I am 31 & was diagnosed at 30 with PCOS & until recently I haven't had many issues with it my periods were always irregular so when I got them it would be painful well. On 09/08/15 I lost a pregnancy at 10 1/2 weeks I have been seeing the same Ob since I was 16 she had finally had enough knowing I badly wanted a baby. Well since this loss to date 11/12/15 I have had a total of 12 days with no bleeding so pretty much 3 months severe heavy bleeding with clots I went from having perfect iron levels to them being so low I'm on the verge of a blood transfusion. This week I've my on upped my iron from 325 to 650mg a day and I am taking 10mg of Provera every 8 hours this is day two and I'm happy to say I'm already seeing results I hope it stays this "

nikki2816 (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2015

"So my doctor prescribed me provera 10mg for 10 days & it completely stopped the bleeding thank god. 7 days later i got my peeiod with the worse cramps ever and i was bleeding really heavy with lots of bloods clots. It was so uncomfortable"

Confused15 October 30, 2015

"Iam still bleeding after two weeks of taking provera pill for 15 days. Very stressful and depressing. I have fibriod tumors. Hysterectomy is not an option for me. I know there are medications that we."

Miss frustrated (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2015

"This stops the bleeding. I have been bleeding heavy for 4 weeks. This worked and i actually feel better! ? Happier and more energetic!"

Loveybuns September 19, 2015

"I have PCOS and have done for nearly 20 yrs Periods lucky if I had one a year then started to have irregular bleeds Was sent for biopsy and scan results showed complex focal hyperplasia Gyn but me on provera 3 daily I am now entering my 5 th week of really heavy bleeding and large cots along me depressed tired and ruling my life Was talk of hysterectomy but I'm petrified of such a major op any help will be gladly appreciated"

Jlg x74x August 29, 2015

"First time I took Provera it worked great for 3-4 years and made me regular. I had gone to the ER for heavy bleeding and clotting. 2nd time I went to the ER was earlier this year (2015) for same reason. Provera slowed it down, passed clots and then I spotted here and there. Just recently, mid July, I started having heavy bleeding again and the docs couldn't give me answers as to why but put me on Provera again. Didn't do anything this time. It slowed it down on Day1-Day3 on it and then after and especially when I finished Provera I was bleeding very heavily. The doc said that's to be expected and have to wait it out, and just wait for my ultrasound. I'm so sick of all this bleeding and even more so not getting any answers/treatment."

Tanm_07 (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2015

"I was bleeding heavily for a month with extremely large blood clots that made it difficult and stressful to even leave the house. It was seriously affecting my quality of life and emotional well being. My Dr. prescribed Provera 10mg twice a day for ten days. After the second dose, the blood clots had completely disappeared. By the third dose, no bleeding at all. This medicine was like a miracle for me. I am happy to have my life back. I noticed I am having a headache, but it's not that bad. I'll take a headache any day over the suffering I endured with that excessive bleeding/clotting."

Relieved in California (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2015

"I have been bleeding profusely (clots, steady bleeding) for a year and a half - yes 18 months!! I have seen 2 different OB-GYNs. I am 46 and have fibroid tumors and ovarian cysts. Both doctors have used the "try this and see" approach and I have been given Provera, Depo Shots, and Beyaz birth control. None of these have stopped the bleeding. After taking the Beyaz last December, my blood sugar level rose to 450 and it took a month to get it back to normal. Of course, now I am considered a diabetic and have to take Metformin every day despite the fact that I was not diabetic or prediabetic before then. It is ridiculous that these doctors will not consider a permanent treatment option!"

AngelK69 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 3, 2015

"I am 31 yrs old. Since the birth of my first child, I've had very heavy, painful periods. Often irregular as in a couple times a month. But I have been bleeding for almost 5 months now. Three months ago, I was put on Provera 10 mg once a day. It lightened my bleeding after a few days, then I had brown discharge for a few days. But I started bleeding again even while taking the Provera. I first had a 10 day supply, then a 30 day supply, another 2 weeks, and now 2 more. But it has changed nothing. I'm bleeding and cramping nonstop and still have no answers. No fibroids, polyps, or cysts."

1931 Twinkle May 13, 2015

"I am 23 years old and bled heavily for 7 weeks. Due to my religious beliefs I will not accept blood under any and all circumstances so I tried provera at an attempt to stop the bleeding. On the 1st pill I went from bleeding heavily to just brown spotting and after 4 days my bleeding completely stopped. I was on 10mg for 10 days. I just completed my last pill today and feel better than ever! Just happy that I'm not bleeding anymore and I can be a mom to my 8 month old daughter."

sabrinad91 (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2015

"I took provera for 7 days for abnormal uterine bleeding it only made the bleeding worse with more clots and gave me the worse headaches ever"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2014

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was bleeding for 7 weeks lightly and then all of a sudden it came and I was passing large clots and a lot of blood. My doctor put me on Provera 10mg twice a day. I had a horrible headache and felt tired but my period did stop which is great. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2014

"My experience with Provera has been a very painful situation. I am 26 and was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome at the age of 22. I never had regular periods since the age of 15. I was always on some form of birth control to regulate. I was taking the Depo-Povera shot (depo shot) for about 6 months before I decided to get off due to the excessive weight gain. The Nurse Practitioner weaned me off of the shot and decided to give me the Micronor birth control pills which did not help as well. I have been on my cycle for 2.5. months. I can ot afford insurance,the only thing I could do was to go to the emergency room. I seen the ER dr there where she gave me the Provera 10mg four times a day. My bleeding has gotten heavier."

MizzTaylor88 (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2014

"Works right like it said it would but heavy bleeding."

Kat923 April 1, 2014

"I was taking Provera for 5 days after my fifth day my period came on a week later and has been on for a week I wanted to know how long would it last. Before I had this my cycle stayed on for 3 months none stop."

mscici August 26, 2013

"I am 22 and I had my period for 5 weeks straight so I went to the doctor and they told me I lost so much blood I had to get a blood transfusion then they put me on Provera 10mg 3 x a day for 2 months. At first it stopped the bleeding for a month but then the Provera stopped working so my Dr. switched me on birth control and that doesn't work either. I've been bleeding for a month now. I don't know what to do."

Sha-Sha December 31, 2011

"I was having severe bleeding with large clots which lasted for 3 weeks. Finally saw the Doctor and he gave me 10mg for 10 days. This is day 9. I stopped bleeding 2 days ago. I love this medicine, really. I'm hungry more often, but that's okay. Unsure what will happen when I stop taking it."

sparr0w March 5, 2011

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking Provera January 7th because I had 3 different periods in the month of December, regular (change every 2-3 hrs), to light (barely noticed it (changed every 4-5 hrs), to extremely heavy with huge clots (literally changed everytime I stood up because there would be a gush of blood). I was told to take it for about 2 weeks and that I would have a period afterwards. I stopped bleeding but I got my period a couple of days before the 2 weeks were up. The side effects I've had are nausea (seriously sick to my stomach, the mere thought of food almost made me regurgitate), and my body was extremely sore and it made me tired. I still have pills and honestly not sure if I should still be taking it but I guess the pills work."

Anonymous January 23, 2011

"Worked just like the Dr. said. I had been bleeding for 5 months without stopping. Took Provera for 2 weeks, and then started bleeding very heavily. Bled for almost 2 more weeks, and have now completely stopped bleeding. Just started taking Provera again for 2nd month. It makes me a little sleepy and dizzy, but it is well worth it to get my bleeding regulated!"

Anonymous December 14, 2009

"Multiple cervical polyps: I have been taking this medication for 3 months, for 14 days each month. Side effects include increased hunger (actually I am pleased about this as I am rarely hungry and don't really enjoy food). I have read that it can cause depression, but for me it is the opposite. I am far less depressed and have more energy and feel less overwhelmed. The effects only last for the 2 weeks that I am taking it each month. My body seems to love this medicine. It is too soon to ascertain whether my polyps have shrunk/disappeared. I am going to be re-tested in three months. If it hasn't worked then I am going to try the Mirena coil."

Anonymous July 1, 2009