User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera Review Summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 146 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"Worsed birth control ever I got it jan12 it's April 25 today still bleeding two months now straight every day all day. first it was brown and black color no cramp. Then last week I had very bad cramps and passed a blood clot the size of a golf ball now I have bad cramps and bright red blood, tired all the time hemoglobin at 11.6 I'm due for the second shot first week of may2015 I will never do this to my body again. Everyone in my house is suffering my husdan, kids and myself"

AngelRay368 May 25, 2015

"Worst decision ever!! Got depo shot after 6wks postpartum thinking it was the most convenient birth control method. Oh, so wrong. Got it 4-17-15, started bleeding 5-1-15, a month after I am still bleeding. Limited sex due to period bleeding, it's not pretty. Terrible mood swings. Increased cravings for sweets and junk food, dizziness, very tired and sleepy. Well its a horror story. I am not going back for a 2nd shot, no way. I will never get another shot of this medicine that transformed me in to a non stop bleeding witch."

patty602 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2015

"I was on Depo from the ages of 17-21 with absolutely NO problems, NO bleeding, it stopped my periods completely, NO side effects. I went back on the depo August 2013 (currently ages 25-27) and have been getting the shots every 3 months on the first date they are due. I have been spotting/bleeding almost the whole time. When I have sex it seems to make me bleed more. Everything has been ruled out and its just been blamed as a side effect of the Depo from my doctor. I also managed to get pregnant and have a miscarriage while on the shot/on time with each due date. The longer I am on this the more side effects I am starting to get (acne, SEVERE depression, anxiety, and mood swings.) I recommend for younger only."

tiredofbleeding (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 24, 2015

"I recently got the deposit shot March 9th for the very first time. And for the rest of the month I didn't have an sign of a cycle. Come April 6th I've been spotting ever since. I even went to the Dr at the end of April to get estrogen pills to stop the bleeding and it stops bit as soon as you stop taking the pills it starts right back spotting again which I stopped taking because it caused a yeast infection, so then I had to get med for that. Here it is the end of May and I'm still bleeding. And come June I'm scheduled for the 2nd shot. There is NO WAY I'm ever getting this again. Can someone tell me when does this ever stop. I even started reading up on natural ways such as herbal stores to help stop the bleeding. What helps?"

furious & frustrated May 23, 2015

"I had taken the shot shortly after I was 18 I bleed for 6 months with one shot have not ever taken again I'm now 23 and still have side effects. For starters can't get pregnant, shortness of breath, severe cramping worst then I ever had before the shot I would never recommend this"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2015

"Why would u make such a awful drug plz discontinue this stuff. I know how it stops you getting pregnant you bleed every freaking day so who would have sex with you - no one. I wanted to take the time out of my day to say this medicine sucks and I hate it. I've gotten only 2 shots and I've been bleeding for 5 weeks . I just wanted to let u know that. Thanks for nothing."

confused4ever (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2015

"I was on the depo for 5 year an it worked wonders with no periods side effects etc i came off 2 year ago to have my lil girl and went back on to it 8 weeks after giving birth and never again would i recomend it i had my lil girl and depo injection in 2013 its now 2015 an iv been bleeding the whole time since"

henny penny (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 19, 2015

"I was never into birth control so I have 6 kids. My oldest 7years old. I tried depo shot after I gave birth in November to my 6th baby all natural vaginal births no epidural. This was my first time it was the shot on the booty and arm. I have had nothing but aniexty no its not my kids i never felt this way before and I gained ton of weight more than I usually do after a baby I weigh 160 I usually get down 140 3 months after I give birth. I've been bleeding nonstop. I decided I didn't like the shot I'm getting tons of mood swings more than the ones that I get from pregnancy. I'm just going to tie my tubes. It's a nightmare. It's May now so from November to May I've been bleeding. I went to check my hemoglobin its fine - its just depressing."

mother of 6 May 18, 2015

"I was on the shot for 2yrs straight about 3yrs ago. I absolutely loved it and I would have recommended it any of my girlfriends. I didn't have one period and no cramping for 2yrs! Loved it! Not even 2 weeks after missing my last shot I became pregnant. My daughter was born in 2013, and about 2months ago I started the shot again. Worst decision of my life! I have not stopped spotting! Every damn day for almost 2 months and I'm starting to get really crampy and I've have terrible migraines. I've been having mood swings and I've never experienced anxiety so bad in my life. I would seriously consider looking into the side effects and reading up on the shot before you get it."

Kckckc (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 16, 2015

"Well I had my first 3 months shot on 18th January 2015 and two days after it I started bleeding, I have never stopped and the date today is 15th of may. Quite depressing since it was my first time taking contraception. I had all the possible side effect to be honest. Hot flashes at night, terrible migraines, severe back ache, fatigue, tiredness name it. There was a point i went to doctors everyday but now I got used to feeling ill which is quite sad. So you are taking a risk using Depo-Provera"

si-si14 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2015

"Had the shot two years ago and loved it- no periods, no sure effects. I stopped it for a while and got another shot 8 weeks ago. Severe mood swings, painful acne, sore breasts, period pain and migrains! Spotting non stop for 3 weeks.. Will never take the shot again"

MS86 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2015

"I have been off the depo shot for about a month now and have been bleeding ever since. Its really become frustrating. I also bleed during but not the whole time i was on the shot. I only took the shot once."

SunSun May 8, 2015

"I have been on this shot for just about one year. I have had one period since being on it which lasted almost a month not heavy by any means, still very annoying. Not noticed any weight gain but I always go up and down give or take 3 pounds. I would recommend it everyone is different and has different side effects so it is unknown how one persons body will take to it. But worth testing it out. Hated the Pill!"

Cassiiee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 8, 2015

"I first started the depo shot about 2 years ago. I switched from the Mirena iud because I bled constantly and sex was often very painful. Before the iud my periods were absolutely terrible with extreme cramping and back pain. For two years I loved life with no periods, no spotting and no pain then I missed a shot. I started again about a month ago and today had very dark maroon/brown spotting? Not sure what that means."

Victoria jade May 5, 2015

"This is HORRIBLE!! I have had the WORST anxiety than ever before and I haven't stopped bleeding for 2 weeks...(I only got this shot 3 weeks ago thinking it would be good) Would not recommend this to anyone..."

Stookystef May 4, 2015

"I had my second shot about a month ago,I haven't had constant bleeding, every now and then (maybe 5 times since January) I have had spotting. I have experienced some cramps but not as bad as I usually get and I have definitely gained weight. I had sex for the first time since I started the injection and I have been getting cramps and bleeding like I used to before the injection. This has been going on for a week now. I am worried and I'm not sure if this is normal after having sex on the injection. Apart from whats happening at the moment, I personally do recommend this injection. I started it to stop the pain and just have a break from bleeding and it has done exactly what I wanted it to."

1234LKB May 4, 2015

"I have been bleeding for 2 months straight, nonstop. I am not a happy camper. I only got this shot to stop my cycles for a bit, but I got totally the opposite. I will not get another shot, ever."

I wish that I would have never gotten this injection (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2015

"I have been on the depo shot for about two months, about 3.5 weeks ago I started having a lot of pressure around my tail bone area, horrible cramps, way more emotional and spotting, then BAM!!! Mother nature hits with a vengeance, non stop period. yes the depo is awesome because not getting prego, but not having sex is having the same affect."

~°Cindy°~ May 3, 2015

"I've been having constant bleeding or just huge blood clots since I got the shot 2 weeks ago. Also, it's caused me the worst anxiety and depression I've ever experienced in my life. I would not recommend this to anyone ever..."

anxious nelly (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2015

"I'm coming off the depo shot. My second and last shot was six months ago, but it's still in my system. after my first dose of the depo shot, my periods stopped immediately. No bleeding AT ALL since then. Which I wouldn't really mind on its own, but it also intensified my already-bad anxiety. AND I gained 30lbs in three months. I'm suspecting it's the cause of my chronic upper back pain too, which i didn't have until my second shot (its worse than cramps!). I was hoping to get it out of my system so my fiance and I could have a baby soon, as if these symptoms weren't bad enough to make me want to stop. Also, I don't know what's more of a hassle, keeping stocked on pads or pregnancy tests. Ugh. But it did its job as a birth control, so..."

vio b (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2015

"The reason this shot is such an effective form a birth control is because it keeps you from sex. THAT'S RIGHT! The bleeding is so on and off that it's kept me completely abstinent! At first I thought this shot was the bomb, but seriously? I keep telling myself my body will adjust but I feel like I'm constantly on my period. It's messed up"

EmilyAnne94 May 1, 2015

"I was on the depo a little over a year ago had no problems nor period the whole time . This year I returned back to the depo feb 10 , 2015 and have been bleeding for 2 1/2 months straight . The Depo is terrible. NEVER AGAIN"

Ram She'll (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2015

"I only had 2 shots then stopped but about 2 months after stopping, I started having constant bleeding and its been non-stop for almost 3 months and for me it's way more of a hassle than it's worth."

Hanananana (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2015

"I've been on this shot for a little more than a year, and at first it was fine but about halfway through my year I began having random periods of spotting. I noticed it usually began after (and sometimes DURING) sex. I haven't gained much weight or anything but bleeding during sex is NOT fun. I would recommend this form of birth control but something must be done about the irregular bleeding."

AfromFoodland April 24, 2015

"I've been on this for exactly a month now and I have been bleeding since the day I got it. Granted, I had to get the shot when I started my period but the bleeding hasn't stopped. I am heavy enough to where I have to wear a regular sized tampon. It's messing with my sex life and it's driving me insane. I'm going to get my second shot in June and if this doesn't stop I'm going to stop the shot all together."

Samg1234 April 23, 2015