User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera Rating Summary

3.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 144 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"I'm only writing this in response to the numerous complaints of bleeding for months after receiving the Depo shot. When I went in to get mine, after much research on my part (I'd been on the pill before and it completely did not work for me), I had been told about 5 times that the MOST COMMON side effect of this form on birth control is bleeding/spotting for up to a YEAR. I was given my options and understood the risks and side effects. So for people who are surprised or upset about this, maybe your provider was not clear enough or you yourself did not do enough research, but it is a very well known and common side effect. As with many things, you need to let your body get used to it."

EM34 May 2, 2016

"This birth control is the worst ever. Why would doctors even allow something like this to be on the market. Non stop bleeding forever!!!!!!!! Your whole life stops!! Please remove it!"

Mzannoyed (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016

"I got my first depo shot the beginning of March. After a week I started bleeding with ceasing. I had to buy depends because the bleeding was so heavy. I've gained 15 pounds since received the shot. I called my doc and got the whole it's a common side effect . I started research and came up with ibuprofen therapy. 3 800 mg a day for 3 days. I also read about birth control pills will stop it as well. I started the ibuprofen Friday and it stopped. Saturday I wiped and it was a little pink. I continued to ibuprofen Saturday all day no bleeding in Sunday it was a oil pinkish. I took a birth control pill Sunday. Monday which is today no bleeding no pink just a lil brown. Took a bc pill this morning no pink no brown so far."

Lady lj (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016

"I had the depo injection last year and everything was fine, no periods or nothing. Went back this year in March 2016 for the first shot. Had 2 months with out anything periods but all of a sudden I'm having light spotted bleed go and some days they are heavy. It's happened for 6 days now.. Is this normal?"

Lauren 2014 April 30, 2016

"I got the shot in February 2016 I have been bleeding for 1 month and a half.. This is beyond out of control!!! I'll be getting the pill next week so I can still have a sex life"

Anonymous April 29, 2016

"Received first Depo shot in September 2015 began constant bleeding right after. The bleeding varies from light most of the time & sometimes heavy almost like a regular period. It is now April 28, 2016 & I am STILL bleeding. I never recieved second shot. I'm in touch with my doctors who are deciding what to do. I've read I may have to have a DNC which I do not like. I already have pre-cancer cells on my cervix & have to have regular biopsies to monitor it but since the bleeding I have not been able to do any of that. I DO NOT recommend this shot to anyone. The risk & complications for is greater than benefits in my opinion. Try another birth control. *Depo should be taken off the market*"

NikkiiH April 28, 2016

"When I first got the depo shot everything was wonderful. I went 2.5 months with no weight gain nor bleeding. Then the bleeding came the last three weeks. Then I went to take the second shot on march 3rd and I still havent stopped bleeding til this day April 21. So I've been bleeding more than TEN WEEKS! In the past two weeks they have been the heaviest where I've been messing up my undies cause it happens at sporatic times of the day. Like for example I would wake up with a clean pad, take a shower go about half my day then out of no where while I'm out I'd be bleeding. I'm already very anemic and going through this isn't helping my condition. I called my gyn's office and they NEVER got back to me and its been over a week."

Katieholmezz April 21, 2016

"I started depo last month of this year the first month was cool but this month got my period not to heavy but been bleeding for almost 2 weeks now don't think I'll get the second shot from what I'm seeing with the reviews thinking of the pill even though it's to late for me now"

Beginner1989 April 20, 2016

"I got my first Depo Provera injection at the beginning of January 2016. Within the first week I started bleeding, and have now been bleeding everyday since. The bleeding goes from light to heavy, not too bad for cramps. I also have suffered vaginal dryness which has been incredibly uncomfortable. My doctor and I decided for me to go on depo due to me having suspected endometriosis. I did research about depo for a month before hand but I completely regret my decision. I have also lost a lot of hair, been feeling stressed and feeling down and severe acne that has scarred my skin. My doctor encouraged me to get a second shot with the promise of it calming things down but I refused, it has ruined how I feel about myself and wasted money on pads"

AmJackson (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2016

"I have had the first shot of depo and I bleed for 2 months strait I went to the gyno and they had to get the layer of decayed uterin wall and the gyno advised me not get on the depo shot anymore because he's had to many women come in with the same problem. So I would advise get the rod in your arm it's strictly progestin just like depo but you don't have any bleeding at all"

Sidgarrett (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2016

"I got the depo injection in August 2015. After a week I started spotting which continued until my next injection in November. The GP said the bleeding would stop soon after I had the next injection so I agreed and get shot number 2. I continued to bleed into February 2016 and decided not to get a third injection. I continued to bleed after 2 weeks so went on the pill. This stopped the bleeding but the pill gave me migraines (which is the reason I went on depo) so I stopped taking it after a month. And within the week I was bleeding again. It's now April 2016 and I'M STILL BLEEDING! When is it going to stop?! I went to the gp for blood tests and I'm now low in iron because I've basically been bleeding for 6 WHOLE MONTHS."

AuroraB (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2016

"I have beeon the depo since sept 2015 and i have been bleeding since (6 months) it has gotten out of control. I have to have an ultrasound done this week to make sure everything is ok. I will not be getting my mext injection."

Heather W (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2016

"I have been on the Depo shot for roughly 3 1/2 years, until recently, I've had NO problems. The only tough part would be the week before the next shot, and the shot itself. Usually, about 1 week before my next shot, I would spot, nothing to messy or horrible, just very inconvenient for me. But ever since I missed my shot when I went to Sweden, shit has gotten real bad! Not only do I bleed 2-3 weeks prior my shot, but the flow can range from light to extreme heavy!!! This flow does not stop, no, not until 2 weeks AFTER the shot, does the faucet completely turn off. My recommendation, if it's working for you, do NOT miss your Depo shot appointment!!! I believe that's where everything went wrong!!"

LynnBear April 3, 2016

"I started depo mid Feb, I'm 38, can't have kids, but due to a work injury, my periods were aggravating my back pain. My period lasted 12 days. I then stopped bleeding, missed a period and was stoked thinking it was working...nope..for the last 37 days I have been bleeding. I had a scan, found a 3x7mm polyp and found that my uterus had backflipped and my endometrial wall was thick. I've just had my second shot, the doctor said 2 or 3 days and the bleeding should stop. Fingers are crossed, but I don't have high hopes, I'm looking into getting my uterus removed...that's how miserable the prolonged bleeding has made me. On the flip side though, my 19yo daughter got the injection the same day as me and has had no dramas what so ever."

Specialbeck April 1, 2016

"Had depo for 2 years. Found it was great within those two years, then decided to give body a break and got last injection in September 2015 and only start getting period back. But anyway the end of February I got thrush for 9 days. Then got my first period 9th March for 2 weeks and straight after that I got thrush AGAIN immediately after them finishing up until yesterday (30th April) and woke up with period yet again this morning. And god knows for how long"

Carlyoh March 31, 2016

"I only had 2 SHOTS!! Been bleeding non stop for 6 months straight! I'm off the shot now for over 11 days and still bleeding, have a gyn appt. Scared what could it be???"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2016

"DO NOT GET THIS INJECTION. After the injection I was bleeding constantly for 4 months afterwards, I could not even have sex because it was like I was on my period every single day. After the 4 months of bleeding it finally stopped for about 3 days, then once again I was bleeding, I'm still bleeding and I see no sign of it going away. PLEASE DO NOT GET THIS INJECTION."

Cssl March 29, 2016

"I was on depo for about a year and stopped for a couple of reasons. Overall it was great. I've been on BC for a few years because of my PCOS, and after forgetting to take the pill all the time, I started this. I stopped because I read online that it can cause permanent infertility (not mentioned on the side effects) and that terrified me. PROS: •NO ACNE!! Even in 120° weather with no A/C, I didn't have a single pimple. It was amazing. •Not having to remember it •Effectiveness •Increased sex drive. This also happened to me on the progestin only pill (Mini pill) CONS: •I had a few UTI's •Very irregular periods. I didn't bleed at all, but Id have occasional breakthrough bleeding without any warning."

beanybeary (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 29, 2016

"I've been on Depo for about 9 months now, it seemed like the perfect solution to heavy bleeding and unbearable cramping. I think the doctor forgot to mention that I would bleed NONSTOP for months. (I'm still bleeding) Going on it was the worst decision of my life. Also, my family is high risk for ovarian cancer, my doctor was worried about cysts before I went on the shot, and now I'm fearing that if I didn't already have them when I started Depo I have them now. Please stay away from this. The worst part is I'm only 18 and I am now at an even higher risk for breast and ovarian cancer."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 28, 2016

"I TOOK DEPO ONLY ONE TIME. I decided to take it at my six week check up (Dec 4th 2015) after giving birth. I was advised that the depo shot was best especially if you're one to forget taking the pill. THE DOCTORS / NURSES NEVER TOLD ME ABOUT THE SERIOUSNESS OF THE PROLONGED BLEEDING. I was bleeding from that time for about a month. I went to the doctor and he prescribed Norcolut which stopped the bleeding while taking it but it start back as soon as the dosage was finished. I missed my sec. injection (Feb 26th 2016) hoping the bleeding would stopped but it never did. I've been bleeding for 4 MONTHS now with no signs of it ending. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS SHOT!"

JJ2016 (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

"I would rate this a zero if I could. I got the shot dec 14, I decided to get on depo because I do not want kids yet. Everything was fine at first until January 1st I started spotting, sometimes heavy, sometimes light. But it's now March 26 and I'm still bleeding. The cramps are so HORRIBLE btw I used up almost 2 bottles of ibuprofen since the bleeding started."

Delores123 March 26, 2016

"Worst experience ever. I have not stopped bleeding right when I got the shot I immediately regretted it. Don't do it"

Alexisrose March 24, 2016

"Horrible form of birth control. With all of these negative side affects I do not understand how it is still on the market and why doctors don't warn their patients of this. I got the "ya it may cause irregular bleeding" and I figured a bit of spotting but NO!! it is ALL THE TIME. I got the shot for the first time in Dec 2014, got the spotting and continued on for a second round hoping it would subside, but quite the opposite...it got worse! I was bleeding for three months straight. I ended the shots but decided to give it another go in sept 2015, with the same results if not worse. I didn't go back for the second round and it is now March 2016, and I am STILL BLEEDING....6 months later. This is the worst form of birth control ever"

Krissypissypissed March 22, 2016

"First time depot user and it has been one of the worst mistakes of my life. Its day 35 post the shot and I have bleed everyday with HORRIBLE cramps. I have experienced weakness, dizziness, headaches, depression and am always tired. I can not wait until this is out of my system."

Grantist (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2016

"I have gotten the depo about 4 years ago. Loved it because it stopped my menstrual. I got back on it in October 2015. It stopped my period for a month and a half In December 2015 I started bleeding. Couldn't wait until February to get my next shot. Today March 2016 after getting my 2nd shot I'm still bleeding. This is the worst ever. I will never take Depo again. When will it stop. I can't do anything. So depressed"

Kay Kay123 March 20, 2016