User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera review summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 157 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Review by Jay-_: User Rating:

I've been on the Depo for about 10 months, so 3 shots. I've never had bleeding until this past week, a full week straight. Never had a period until now. Never even had any period pain or anything close to it. I love the low maintenance associated with the shot but if this continues I may have to stop!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 6, 2014 10:06 PM
Review by minnii (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Had it for a year and a bit. Gained weight. Stopped it 8 months ago and get my period twice a month! Painful ones too

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 31, 2014 7:20 AM
Review by Sami Ann: User Rating:

I have been on the Depo shot for over a year. I know that cramps and other signs are common, but just recently I have been bleeding a lot more than I should be, but not quite at a normal period. This works very well and I love it.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 27, 2014 2:15 PM
Review by Huggie555: User Rating:

On Depo-Provera injection for 7 years its been great but recently suffered a fractured knee due to a relatively small fall was sent for bone density test, I have osteoporosis bone density 14 % below normal, I will now change my contraception and hope that bone density gets better.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 16, 2014 8:45 PM
Review by Crissy1218 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on this for a few months. I'm very bad at remembering to take the pill everyday at the same exact time so I figured the shot would be perfect. And I know its still a little too early to determine whether or not I like it. I got my period in December and she administered the shot. I haven't stopped bleeding since and its almost March! I spoke with my doctor and she told me it was totally normal and it was my body getting used to the medication but I very much dislike it. I've been VERY moody and I get so turned off by food that sometimes I just go through the day drinking fluids. This has only been from one shot, but I'll see where it goes. If it continues to go downhill, I have to switch back to the pill.

February 12, 2014 8:19 AM
Review by Kettlekate (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I've been on the Depo-Provera jab for 5 years due to heavy periods I've not had one since I spot occasionally but that is very rarely. It's not for everyone warranted but it changed my life. It has it's ups and downs but I'm a strong person and I manage the mood swings and I'm sensible enough to know now that nearer the time of my jab I get cravings for food and after I've had it they go. My skin improved and I lost weight. That's because I knew it can cause cravings so I managed it. I would recommend it if you are a strong willed sensible person. It's not a light-hearted contraceptive.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 29, 2014 9:06 AM
Review by Emmeh (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Had the depo shot for about 60 weeks now. I too, experiened bleeding for quite a while until my 3rd shot (very light) but it look like a normal side effect! Now I am completely fine, not gained any weight, no migraines, no pms. Sometimes bleeding a week before I'm due for my next shot but I was assured that is common.

January 22, 2014 1:49 PM
Review by MRaNae96 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I started the depo shot in January due to my extremely heavy periods. It had gotten to the point where I was missing school a few days every month and just laying in bed because my menstrual cycle was so bad. I decided to try out the depo shot. I've been on it a year and have just recently had spotting in between my shots. Depo shot has helped so much, I no longer have periods (except for the occasional spotting) and I feel SO much better. Granted I do get the occasional migraine, spotting and cramps, I'd say the shot is definitely worth it

November 8, 2013 7:39 AM
Review by Ms. Birod (taken for 2 to 5 years):

When I was first on depo provera I bleed for 6 months straight, the OB said my body had to get used to it and I would need another cycle so I took the shot another 6 months and low and behold I had bleeding everyday for 1 year. I don't even know how that was possible but it was like a heavy period every day. When I called the OB and other clinics everyone said "you signed a waiver". OK well no one said if I had a problem. I stopped depo and like a silly college kid that I was convinced to take depo 6 months later, the OB said my body may be different and again I had my period for 6 more months. Thank goodness there were no effects accept the annoyance of bleeding every day for 18 months all together. This shot does work why have sex bleedin

November 6, 2013 11:58 PM
Review by Neyra: User Rating:

I'm 18 years old. I never been on any other birth control but the 3 months on Depo-Provera...I bled for 2 months as well as depression. I was PMSing the full 2 months. Caused problems in my relationship because of it.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 30, 2013 5:36 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I started my Depo shot around September a week or two before I was about to get my next shot I started my period. I thought when I received my next shot it might stop it. It didn't. I am still on my period and it is April. I have my next shot today and this is my last attempt if it continues I will be switching back to the pill. Not only that but I had major weight gain and depression.

April 4, 2013 5:53 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I got my first shot in June and at first had my normal 5 day period but in July I started bleeding again and been bleeding since. I got my second shot in August and that didn't help. I'm still bleeding and having migraines that I never had before and its October.

October 11, 2012 10:25 PM
Review by NoMoreDepo (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Been on this shot since June 14. Started experiencing abdominal pain on July 2 and spotting on July 4. SEVERE abdominal cramps as of July 4 that continues. I turned up anemic, when I had not been just 1 month before. As of today, I am still experiencing abdominal cramps periodically, continue to spot or have what seems like a full fledged period, alternately, without any pattern. My Gyno placed me on the shot to stop my heavy bleeding due to Uterine Fibroids. I will not take a second shot, as along with the heavy bleeding continuing as before, I have severe pain, extreme fatigue, weight gain even after increased physical activity.

July 22, 2012 5:49 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been on the Depo shot for 14 years, and it was a lifesaver for me. My doctor put me on it because I had PMS so bad, I could not live a normal life. I have never had another period and no side effects. I have not had a bone density test but would like to do so. I just recently read that 2 years was all you should stay on it, I didn't know that before and was not told that by my doctor. I think it's great.

January 12, 2012 5:08 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

The first three months went alright- I was quite moody and emotional, but nothing more than how I am when I get PMS. It was bearable and didn't last too long. I had one period for two weeks. After taking the second shot, I have had a period for over a month and a half now (an actual heavy period, not spotting). My acne has gotten worse. I'm definitely switching to the pill when I am ready to get my next shot.

September 7, 2011 10:16 PM
Review by Angela Sanchez (angfrsan): User Rating:

31 years old, have been on Depo-Provera for about 3 years now due to terrible, awful debilitating periods - the kind that made it hard for me to go to work. I did get spotting the first few months but after that it was FREEDOM. No periods whatsoever. I didn't have any weight gain - still around 100lbs and no other problems. I'm going to get NovaSure soon because I don't want to have to bother going to the pharmacy every three months and I'm worried about the whole bone density thing - although my doctor said she was on Depo for 8 years without any problems. I would recommend this for anyone who wants a long-term but temporary way to get rid of periods. Don't suffer.

June 6, 2011 1:20 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I gained a few pounds on the Depo shot but that wasn't too bad. Was on it for 2 years. The first 1 1/2 years were great, although I had a decreased sex drive and the shots left my arm sore for days. Had about 1 week long period just before getting the next shot, so about every 3 months. Bled almost constantly the last 6 months.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 27, 2010 10:51 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been bleeding for six months now! I was on the Depo for three years then, I went off of it. I am 35lb heavier and my eating habits and work outs never changed. I felt horrible all the time, headaches, back pain. As birth control it sure works great.

July 30, 2009 8:52 PM
Review by tzigane88: User Rating:

I first started Depo-Provera due to irregular and heavy menstruation. The first month was the worst, with several side effects that did go away after the second shot. I had severe breast tenderness, with some lymph node swelling, mood swings, and constant spotting for the first month. After the inital shot, I never had a period again, barely any spotting, and felt well. I did go off the shot for a while and now I am on it again. I am having no side effects except for the initial moodiness and decrease interest in sex. But I would still recommend this product for someone! No periods - Sign me up.

May 3, 2009 10:36 AM
Review by No depo for me: User Rating:

I was on Depo for about 6 months and started having a period for months on end. I'm also a kidney failure patient so that doesn't help things. But everyone I talk to says they have a period for a long time.

February 21, 2009 8:30 AM
Review by D. Marie: User Rating:

Using the product has really improved my quality of life. I can once again be the active person I meant to be without the constant worry and inconvenience.

January 20, 2009 1:38 PM
Review by max618: User Rating:

I have used Depo for years for Birth Control and to help with other uterine issues (heavy bleeding, etc). I have never had side effects and it's wonderful..no periods! Talk about convenient. I'll never switch.

January 11, 2009 11:15 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have not had a period from the first shot. I had ZERO side effects and lost 5 lbs. I think it is an amazing product.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 6, 2009 4:41 AM