User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Depo-Provera review summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 160 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Depo-Provera to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Review by Raven2010:

My shot ended in August and since then I have been constantly bleeding. I went in and saw a doctor about this issue and they told me to take 3 pain relievers 4 times a day to stop the bleeding. I have tried that and I am still bleeding. I will never get on this shot again. I have been on this shot before and never had issues like this.

October 4, 2014 9:12 PM

I started my shot around June of this year and since then I have not stopped bleeding. My doctor is prescribing Nuvaring to put on top of my shot to see if it will stop the bleeding. I will definitely post my results.

September 29, 2014 12:24 PM

Review by key25watkins (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'm approaching the third calendar shot for me and now that I have began to bleed unexpectedly, I've taken the time to evaluate myself. Since beginning the Depo-Provera in February I've noticed a series of uncontrollable headaches as well as a spike in my blood pressure. I was administered a better dosage of hydrochlorothiazide to reduce the effects of this blood pressure spike but immediately proceeding my dosage I started experiencing this unexpected bleeding. Taken a back by such abrupt change this makes me reflect on the changes my body has experienced throughout the short course being administered Depo. I had even began to experience anxiety here and there, not to mention fatigue. Later came the abdominal cramps and pains with vaginal adverse side effect.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2014 1:53 AM

Review by Pip Nos (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This shot has caused me so many issues. I got it only once. Before the shot, I had abnormally heavy periods that lasted 6 days, and to be honest I'd rather go back to that. My body has had so many issues. The first month, things were fine. The only issues I had within the first month was headaches and nausea (the nausea got EXTREMELY severe at times, I actually had to grip onto my boyfriend just to get stable or lie on the floor). Then came the second month, EXCESSIVE SPOTTING. I also got major depression and hated everyone. I am currently on my third month of the shot and I am still spotting heavily, and sometimes bleeding. Due to the shot, I am now anemic and facing heading to the ER, but I can't because I do not have insurance.

September 20, 2014 5:33 PM

I got Depo-Provera on June 10 at the hospital after giving birth to my daughter. Today is September 15 and I have not stopped bleeding at all! I also have two friends who have the same problem. This shot is terrible!

September 14, 2014 10:11 AM

Review by Zamora Ivy:

I've been on Depo for 1 year and 5 months and first my periods would last 2 weeks 3 days instead of 5-7 days. After my 3rd shot I had no more periods but lately my last 2 shots I've been spotting due to getting my shots at the 12th week instead of 10-11 week. I've had no complications inspite the 20-25 lbs gain weight from the shot. This September I'm due for another but have decided with my fiance to put a hold on the shots. Just remember ladies everyone's body is different so what may work out for me won't on others if one birth control doesn't cut it for you try another the one that suits you best. Good luck.

September 7, 2014 4:43 AM

Review by Jenniw:

Had the shot once, no bleeding the first two months then the third month a four week long period. Didn't go back (due for another shot May third) and I've pretty much been bleeding/spotting the whole time. April-September and still going strong.

August 22, 2014 4:04 PM

Review by Laysha (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on the shot since April now that I have my second shot. I spotted blood a few times but now there's constant bleeding.

August 14, 2014 11:30 AM

Review by _nonthvg (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I only had one shot. It lasts 3 months. During those months I got my period the first month & not the other two. Now I came down to Trinidad on vacation before I was able to get my second shot. Now I've been bleeding for 3 months STRAIGHT. I know this is abnormal. I have the worst cramps, & my whole body hurts.

August 11, 2014 10:30 PM

Review by Confused? (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have been on the Depo-Provera shot for 5 years, I love it, I haven't had a period since I got the first shot. Then one day randomly, I started spotting, I wasn't to concerned at first but the bleeding went on and got heavier over a span of 2 months (I had been trying to get into the doctors but that hadn't been working out). Finally I was able to talk to my doctor and it just turned out to be my body basically adapting to the progestin, so instead of coming in every 12 weeks I come in every 10 to 11 weeks depending on if I start bleeding.

August 11, 2014 5:43 PM

Review by Bianca b:

I've had DEPO PROVERA for about two years, for the first couple of months I was bleeding like crazy, then it lightened up to only spotting occasionally and bleeding the week my next shot was due. I gained 5 pounds throughout the two years which was not bad but recently I've been bleeding for almost a week straight it kind of sucks because I have a boyfriend and I want to have sex, I just have to deal with maybe the next time I'll get the shot it won't be as bad. If the bleeding continues as it does now I might just go back on the pill.

August 10, 2014 9:15 PM

Review by Overbleeding (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had my first shot and the first three months were fine. After the second shot I haven't stopped bleeding. When I was due for my third shot my doctor advised against having it. It should have worn off by now. I am still bleeding, now five months after my second shot, it feels like it is never going to stop.

July 26, 2014 1:07 AM

Review by Meme74 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

My first shot was July 16, 2013, the last shot was March 24, 2014. Four shots total and in that time I had some type of vaginal discharge every month. I wore some type of pantyliner or pad everyday during this time because I never knew if I would have a period. The bleeding wasn't always heavy, but I bled enough that I became iron deficient anemic. I did experience larger than normal clots some months. I wanted to try the full year to see if my periods would ever stop, but the lack of iron made me get off Depo.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 15, 2014 7:19 PM

Review by emmie3183 (taken for less than 1 month):

After 5 years of not getting the shot I decided it was time again endometriosis is very painful and it had returned so it was time. The last Depo Provera shot was great, no periods, no weight gain, no hormonal imbalances. This time I have the hormones of a pregnant woman and I've been bleeding heavily for two weeks since giving myself the shot. I don't have cramping too bad and my face has cleared but this hormonal imbalance, headaches, and heavy bleeding is kicking my butt even more tired than normal.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2014 8:07 PM

Review by Hyaaa74:

I do not like this medicine. I've only had one shot so far. I didn't come on my period for two months now on the third month I've been on for 2 weeks already. The pain is worse then my normal cramps. I'm not getting my second shot. I'm only 16.

July 4, 2014 9:10 AM

Review by Twinkx97 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I'm almost due for my 5th shot (almost a year) and I noticed last night that I had some irregular bleeding. Woke up and it had continued. Tad worried but I haven't had anything like this since I got my 2nd shot so I think I'm okay. Will chat to my GP about it when I go for my shot.

July 3, 2014 9:02 PM

I've been on the shot for about 6 months I haven't had a period or spotting except for just recently and I can't seem to use the restroom enough I don't drink that much liquids I've been bloated and having stomach cramps to. I think I'm going to see my doctor to get checked out. Other than that I haven't had any problems with the Depo-Provera.

July 1, 2014 10:58 PM

Review by barbiiidoll:

I've been on Depo-Provera for 2 years this month. It was great! Had little to no periods, light spotting for a week before I had gotten my next shot. Didn't have to worry about taking pills daily. I had no side effects at all. I was actually losing weight. But, the last shot I had back in March, they informed me that there was a new type of Depo, formula, that took place of the Depo that my body was used to. Ever since then, my period has been not stopped. I gained 20 pounds in one week of water weight. My cramps has been terrible to where I can't eat. I feel as though I'm pregnant at all times. I go Tuesday to either get checked to see if I need to be off it. Anyone else experienced this since they've changed it?

June 4, 2014 9:36 PM

Review by So Cal Megan:

I've been on Depo for 6 months now, it's almost time to get my third shot. After my very first shot I had no bleeding at all for two months, just random cramps that were kind of annoying. Then at the third month I spotted very lightly for a week, then bled normal for about a week, then bled really really heavy for a few days. Then it stopped and I got my second shot. Two and a half months with no bleeding after the second one, then spotted lightly for over a week and no heavy bleeding. It seems to get better so I can't wait for the bleeding to stop completely. Also the only other side effect I have noticed is increased nervousness/anxiety. I have had a few anxiety attacks at night and I thought I was having a heart attack but it was nothing.

June 3, 2014 1:22 AM

Review by anonymous2015:

I've been on the shot for about two years now and I've only spotted a few times here and there. I did gain almost 40 pounds though. I do like not having to worry about a regular period though and I used to have slightly heavy periods to. I would say it's been more positive then negative.

April 25, 2014 1:14 AM

Review by Jay-_:

I've been on the Depo for about 10 months, so 3 shots. I've never had bleeding until this past week, a full week straight. Never had a period until now. Never even had any period pain or anything close to it. I love the low maintenance associated with the shot but if this continues I may have to stop!

April 6, 2014 10:06 PM

Review by minnii (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Had it for a year and a bit. Gained weight. Stopped it 8 months ago and get my period twice a month! Painful ones too

March 31, 2014 7:20 AM

Review by Sami Ann:

I have been on the Depo shot for over a year. I know that cramps and other signs are common, but just recently I have been bleeding a lot more than I should be, but not quite at a normal period. This works very well and I love it.

March 27, 2014 2:15 PM

Review by Huggie555:

On Depo-Provera injection for 7 years its been great but recently suffered a fractured knee due to a relatively small fall was sent for bone density test, I have osteoporosis bone density 14 % below normal, I will now change my contraception and hope that bone density gets better.

February 16, 2014 8:45 PM

Review by Crissy1218 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on this for a few months. I'm very bad at remembering to take the pill everyday at the same exact time so I figured the shot would be perfect. And I know its still a little too early to determine whether or not I like it. I got my period in December and she administered the shot. I haven't stopped bleeding since and its almost March! I spoke with my doctor and she told me it was totally normal and it was my body getting used to the medication but I very much dislike it. I've been VERY moody and I get so turned off by food that sometimes I just go through the day drinking fluids. This has only been from one shot, but I'll see where it goes. If it continues to go downhill, I have to switch back to the pill.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2014 8:19 AM