User Reviews for Amitiza

Learn more about Amitiza.

Amitiza Review Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 98 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Amitiza to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

"I am a 30 year old woman who has been suffering from IBS-C since before my teen years. This is the only pill that has ever worked for me. There have been times where I would go off the medication because it is rather pricey. And I can tell you, I regret it every time. My IBS-C is so bad to the point where I will go weeks without any relief. And then when I am able to go, I get ridiculously sick for hours prior to the BM. The stomach pains I feel are worse than labor pains, and I would know since I have been through child birth. I only need to take one 8mcg tablet a day (with food, typically lunch time) and I stay regular. If you are struggling with a disease like this, amitiza is totally worth a shot! What do you have to lose?"

ldav85 July 24, 2015

"Amitiza has saved my life...seriously. My problem was so bad that I was in danger of rupturing my colon. I ended up in ER and they could not help me so they had to admit me. Needless to say drinking a gallon of nasty stuff and the most embarrassing procedure of my life....i stayed up all night and when they discharged me the Dr gave me Amitiza to take 2 a day. I would recommend you start at 8mg and see how that works. 24 for me took some getting adjusted to so I took 1 a day and if no bm then i took the 2nd. Right now if I do not take 2 a day....I have problems...serious problems. But for me Amitiza is $24 for 60 but I would pay 200 if that is what it took to NEVER go back to ER with this problem"

Idacajun (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 17, 2015

"I have been on Rx Miralax for years, due to a two decade long eating disorder. The Miralax works great, but for some reason my GI wanted to put me on Linzess. He gave me samples, and insurance didn't cover it. They said I had to try Amitiza first. The Linzess didn't work (horrible bloating, cramps, no movement), and the Amitiza is almost worse. I had to call out of work today because of it. I was awake all night, up and down, kept getting sick. 14ish hrs after taking the medicine, I'm having very small movements. Strongly debating calling the office and telling them I'm going back on Miralax and that's it."

No Way Rx April 14, 2015

"This medication is great!! A few years back, I had IBS with diarrhea, but it has since changed to IBS-C. It was so bad. I was always in stomach pain, always felt full, just felt terrible and super backed up. I'm a nurse, so I tried ALL the non-pharmacological remedies for constipation. So after reading all of the reviews, I made a GI appt. Thank god I knew about Amitiza because my doctor tried to send me out the door with some pamphlets! Amitiza is a life saver. Just don't forget to take with meals so you don't feel nauseous."

AmitizaFan (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2015

"Awesomeness!"

armymom7877 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2015

"I have tried amitiza and yes it worked and got me to use the bathroom but didn't do very much for my stomach pain. I did get some relief just from going. I also had to take way over recomended dose to get anything significant. "

IBS gone! (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2014

"I've had IBS-C for at least 2 years. In the last year, it has become increasingly worse which resulted in me being diagnosed with pelvic floor dysfunction. Like most of you, I could barely go...nothing seemed to help: Miralax, Philips, etc. I was resuming to using enemas a few times a week just to get some relief. Because of this, I was feeling tired all the time, moody and having horrible headaches. It left me feeling awful. I recently started this medicine, and it has been a God-send. I went from never being able to go on my own to at least once a day. I take it with food and water. I read the reviews on here beforehand, so I made sure to follow what others said. The first day I took it, I felt a little nauseous, but haven't since."

Ashley L. March 1, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Bloating was my biggest problem. I felt so bloated I looked pregnant! Nothing helped...and I tried them all until I tried and stayed with Amitiza. It was and is worth the expense."

jackie1117759 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 23, 2014

"I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome- Constipation and have tried everything out there. They either didn't work or had ridiculous side effects that outnumbered the advantages. Amitiza is the best medicine I have ever taken. I have very severe constipation and take 24mcg 2x/daily. I went from no bowel motions to going once every other day on average. Advice...take it with food. The only side effect I have is crazy nausea and a horrid headache if I take it on an empty stomach. Also it is very expensive and can have a hefty co-pay. Amitiza has a website where you will get a free card to cover your co-pay. I went from $25 out of pocket to $0!"

Jennay (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 3, 2013

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been taking 8mcg Amitiza twice a day, for two months, to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Finally! A Dr. who actually listened to me and provided a solution instead of blaming me for the GI/bowel problems. (i.e., "You need more fiber," "It's your nerves," or "It's caused by the NSAIDS you take."). Almost 40 years of daily chronic painful bloating, constipation & pain under my left ribcage is almost gone, (I'm 50.) It did take a few weeks to adjust to it. By that, I mean: 1.) Discovering that taking Fiber Supplements with the prescription caused painful gas/bloating, 2.) Determining exactly how much food/drink to ingest with each dose, to avoid gas/bloating or a headache & 3.) Remembering to take it with a meal. I'd give it a 10 if there was 0 bloating and no headaches."

Love Amitiza! May 31, 2013

"I developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome-C and chronic constipation after a C-section. I now take Amitiza 24mcg 2x per day. I've been on it for about 10 months. It works fantastic. I can "go" at least once a day now. Amitiza draws fluid from your body to increase bowel movement (I can actually hear it working) so it is important to drink a lot of water and eat before or immediately after. I've noticed that if I don't drink a lot of water, nausea will develop. In addition, IBS-C has caused me to change my diet and exercise. That helped a lot too. NOTE-- If the prescription costs a lot, even with insurance, Amitiza offers a discount card online."

Bloatless (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 27, 2013

"I have irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn's disease as well a Colon issues. My GI started me on Amitiza about 10 days ago. So far it has been great. I do have some cramping a little after a pill but not compared to the constipation cramping that I have had on & off for 15 years. I was lucky he gave me a sample pack good for a month so now I just have to hope my insurance picks it up next month."

INmommX2 (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2013

"This is my second attempt with Amitiza (this time at the lower dose). Unbearably nauseated once again on top of the constipation and abdominal cramping. Does not work for me AT ALL."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2012

"I love this medication. Nothing else has helped me with chronic constipation for my gastric paresis and irritable bowel."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2012

"I was diagnosed with IBS when I was 26. I am now 37. It has only been the last year and a half that my IBS decided to SERIOUSLY kick in. I was going up to 7 days with no bowel movement and when it did come the only thing I can compare it to was labor pains. My insurance finally decided they would pay for the Amitiza. I have been on it just over a month now and the results have been WONDERFUL...I am more regular, the longest I go is 3 days but usually daily, and there is NO PAIN associated with it. Thanks Amatiza you have been a GOD SEND TO ME."

Anonymous February 5, 2012

"I had tried everything for irritable bowel syndrome -- cholonic treatments; stool softeners; magnesium; stimulant laxatives. The list is endless, but until I went on Amitiza, nothing worked well. I take the larger dosage at bedtime -- very mild nausea occasionally, but at least one bowel movement daily. This medication has literally been a life-saver."

Anonymous January 6, 2012

"In the beginning, I was very skeptical about taking this medicine because most of the reviews I read were negative. Now, I honestly love it. The first week was a little rough due to the shortness of breath as well as the gasiness. Then I realized almost every medicine has some type of side effect until your body gets used to it after a few days or so. By the second week, I was fine. Before taking Amitiza I only had bowel movements every 4 or 5 days and sometimes it would take a week and I also had pains in my abdomen. But now I am going regularly and I feel much better about it. The only negative I have is that my insurance won't cover Amitiza."

Keke03 September 23, 2011

"For over twenty years I've had issues with my stomach. Mainly constipation in spite of drinking plenty of water and high fiber diet. I've relied on eating five servings of fruits and three veggies a day and of course lots of liquids. I've been seen by lots of specialists until recently I was prescribed Amitiza 8mg. I tried it for two weeks then tried the 24mg as instructed by my doctor and found that the lower dose works better. I'm able to defecate at least once a day now, but I have experienced headache nausea and slight dizziness. Overall I do recommend it."

Irma T September 14, 2011

"Before taking Amitizia I had stomach pain every single time I ate, suffered from severe constipation, have gas and bloating. I take 24 mg twice a day and my pain has completely diminished, but I still have severe constipation and still get bloated every time I eat. The medicine does help, but not completely. "

jm1418 July 19, 2011

"I have lived for years and years with an issue that no one would identify as irritable bowel syndrome with constipation. I was always told to eat better and drink plenty of water. When it was figured out what I had, that doctor suggested stool softners and drink plenty of water. Then a sweet little physician's assistant prescribed Amitiza. This medicine works great even with the minimul side effects it creates. I experienced a little nausea some light headed times but all in all it is worth all this to finally be "regular". Before it was suggested I take this: I had read about it and several of the comments listed here. Thanks."

Anonymous April 21, 2011

"I absolutely love this medication! The trick I have found is to take it right before bed, then you can avoid the upset stomach and nausea. I know it says to take with food but I have been on this for over a year and it has been working great for me."

Anonymous February 23, 2011

"I have had a pain in my left lower abdomen for a month and a half now. I finally went to the doctor yesterday and he told me it sounds like IBS. I have a GI appointment just to make sure. He gave me Amitiza to try till then. I was weary to try Amitiza because so many reviews talked of bad side effects. I ate a very full meal and took it last night. This morning I had no pain for the first time in a month and a half. I felt it some during the day but nothing like it has been. Definitely a miracle drug! I had little side effects, some nausea and a bit of feeling "not all there". But that was just a short time and it all went away. I can definitely handle the side effects when it works so well. I hope this review helps."

Anonymous October 26, 2010

"I too had a problem breathing and tightness in my chest. The doctor didn't believe that it was my new medicine and started treating me for asthma. I started reading about the medicine and learned that this was a side effect. I stopped taking it for a week or so and I have noticed a big difference in my breathing! I love the outcome of the medicine so I am going to try to take it only 2 or so times a week to see if that helps."

Anonymous August 14, 2010

"This is really working for me. I am taking 24 mgs. once a day. I have had no side effects at all."

tanya.harris July 4, 2010

"Has not helped me and the side effects are rough."

rgc69 October 22, 2009