User Reviews for Amitiza

Learn more about Amitiza.

Constipation, Drug Induced 1 reviews 3 medications

4.8
Summary of Amitiza reviews 103 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Amitiza

Review by armymom7877 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Awesomeness!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 22, 2015 12:30 AM

Review by holy girl g (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation, Chronic: After several years of regular constipation and laxative use my doctor prescribed Amitiza. I took it at 6 and by 10:30 it was working. I've been taking 24mg twice daily but I think I'll cut back to only once a day because sometimes I'm nervous about leaving my house. It works too well and very fast.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2015 8:26 PM

Review by Walon (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation: I have chronic constipation. Nothing has helped including Amitiza.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 11, 2015 10:04 PM

Review by Neelyy:

For Constipation: I took 24mcg of Amitizia for 6 days twice a day. I got a pretty bad reaction from this. I had dry mouth, lightheadedness, my face was always warm, stomach aches, loss of appetite, severe anxiety, and nausea. I've come to the conclusion that the 24mcgs twice a day was far too much for my body. I weigh 117 pounds, and I don't think my body could handle that amount. If anyone is experiencing these side effects don't take it, make another appointment with your doctor to see if the dosage is too much. Also, if you have had a loss of appetite like myself, make sure to get enough sugar in your system, I had a hypoglycemic attack. Drink ginger ale, or eat if you can.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 28, 2014 11:48 AM

Review by Sunkissed2010:

For Constipation: I stopped after only taking 2 pills. I developed a slight problem breathing and a rash across my neck and shoulders. Also, I now have unbearable gas pains after taking 2 of these pills a week ago. I am glad that I was only given 4 pills by the pharmacist as they were out so I wasn't charged.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 23, 2014 7:00 PM

Review by Reconn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Constipation, Chronic: I've had chronic constipation all my adult life. Tried Linzess, it worked for a month then stopped. Doctor started me on Amitiza (24 mg) and it is a miracle. I've been on for four months now. After a life of 7-10 days between bowel motions, I now go comfortably 3-4 times per week. No pain, very little gas. It's a miracle for me.

December 13, 2014 9:25 AM

Review by Bill M (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Constipation, Chronic: Thank God for modern medicine! Constipation may seem to those who don't suffer from it in its severe form to be a minor issue, it is NOT! When going to the bathroom induces fear and anger because you know that you will spend the next 45 minutes suffering doing what others take for granted it's time to get help. After a year of using Fleets and OTC meds which did nothing I was finally given Amitiza and It was a little miracle. Don't suffer, demand this medication don't let your MD's tell you to take OTC meds which do nothing or next to nothing. I had to suffer a fissure before finally getting this simple solution to a horrible problem. Don't wait until it's a very serious medical problem deal with it now.

October 31, 2014 8:52 AM

Review by howardtm (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation, Chronic: Day 2 of taking this medication for chronic constipation. I feel so much better. I would usually take Dulcolax, but it hurts my stomach really badly. This medicine is amazing. So thankful for it.

June 7, 2014 11:12 PM

Review by GrandmaKitty:

For Constipation, Drug Induced: I'd never been regular, my whole life, it was always a problem that I was lucky if it resolved itself every 3 or 4 days, but then once I aged and my rheumatoid arthritis advanced to a debilitating degree, I had to go on opiates...oh dear. 7-8 days or even more of being bound up became the norm. It was REALLY painful! The only way I could help myself was to stop taking my pain meds and overdose on laxatives and enemas every few days. That usually worked within 24 hrs, but it really isn't good for you. I finally confessed to my gastroenterologist that this was going on and he prescribed me Amitiza. It took a week to work for me, but now I have the exact opposite problem. I'm on 24 mcg 2x daily. I think maybe it needs to be just once!

April 23, 2014 4:43 AM

Review by IBS gone! (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I have tried amitiza and yes it worked and got me to use the bathroom but didn't do very much for my stomach pain. I did get some relief just from going. I also had to take way over recomended dose to get anything significant.

April 17, 2014 8:12 PM

Review by Rondellr7 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Constipation, Chronic: Excellent I'm so glad I was given the medication I feel so much better

April 11, 2014 9:58 AM

Review by Ashley L.:

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I've had IBS-C for at least 2 years. In the last year, it has become increasingly worse which resulted in me being diagnosed with pelvic floor dysfunction. Like most of you, I could barely go...nothing seemed to help: Miralax, Philips, etc. I was resuming to using enemas a few times a week just to get some relief. Because of this, I was feeling tired all the time, moody and having horrible headaches. It left me feeling awful. I recently started this medicine, and it has been a God-send. I went from never being able to go on my own to at least once a day. I take it with food and water. I read the reviews on here beforehand, so I made sure to follow what others said. The first day I took it, I felt a little nauseous, but haven't since.

March 1, 2014 10:02 PM

Review by jackie1117759 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Bloating was my biggest problem. I felt so bloated I looked pregnant! Nothing helped...and I tried them all until I tried and stayed with Amitiza. It was and is worth the expense.

January 23, 2014 4:48 AM

Review by details (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation, Chronic: The first round of 8mcg twice daily produced a bowel movement the next day, but further use has not helped. I will increase the dosage to 16mcg, in hopes it will work once again. From other comments, there seems to be quite a bit of leeway in dosing and in combining with other things to alleviate chronic constipation. I experienced no side effects from the 8mcg twice daily.

December 4, 2013 2:57 PM

Review by Jennay (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome- Constipation and have tried everything out there. They either didn't work or had ridiculous side effects that outnumbered the advantages. Amitiza is the best medicine I have ever taken. I have very severe constipation and take 24mcg 2x/daily. I went from no bowel motions to going once every other day on average. Advice...take it with food. The only side effect I have is crazy nausea and a horrid headache if I take it on an empty stomach. Also it is very expensive and can have a hefty co-pay. Amitiza has a website where you will get a free card to cover your co-pay. I went from $25 out of pocket to $0!

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2013 9:15 PM

Review by Jessi W. (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Constipation, Chronic: As a survivor of very severe anorexia, I had renal failure and am now not able to produce the correct mucus or "lubrication" in my intestines. This causes bowel movements to be infrequent and painful. Amitiza is a god send. Works just like it should. Was on 16 mcg twice a day but was just put on 24 mcg twice a day with 40mg Zegrid. Not sure which one is causing nausea, but Amitiza never did it before. Has made bowel movements much easier.

November 2, 2013 5:52 PM

Review by So relieved!!!!! (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation, Chronic: I have been taking this medicine for about two weeks now and I must say it is heaven sent. There's nothing worse than being compacted with waste and having that constipation sensation constantly. What prompted me to invest in this "life saver" was one day like some of you I went to use the restroom and yet again as usual I was constipated so I was frustrated and everything else so I forced my bowel movement and when I finished I was bleeding. I made an appointment with doctor and today I'm so glad I did. So, so, so happy now.

September 16, 2013 2:00 AM

Review by happy camper (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Constipation, Chronic: This is the only thing that has worked! A bit of gas, but no problems otherwise. Insurance is not covering it because of the expense, but it is worth the expense to be regular again after years of trying everything under the sun. 24 mcg 2x daily with food and I'm a happy camper!

August 31, 2013 2:33 AM

Review by mar222 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Constipation, Chronic: I have been on laxatives forever. Specifically, Perdiem. I take 3 Perdiem and 1 Amitiza at bedtime and go every morning. The Perdiem (similar to Senokot) was starting to not work as well after 25 years and once I added the Amitiza, all is well. I am trying to cut back on the laxative now. My doc wants me to take Linzess, but I'm reading how many people are gaining weight. My only complaint with Amitza is the gas, so I am reluctant to take in the morning.

August 15, 2013 10:37 PM

Review by bannanas (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Constipation, Chronic: I tried everything. EVERYTHING. Finally, something that works for me, but it took a few days to kick in--probably because I was so constipated. After that, I've have a great experience. Regular for the first time in over 40 years! I would give this a 10 except it does give me a tiny bit of nausea, especially in the morning. It is pretty minor compared to the pain and bloating of chronic constipation. No bloating! The major drawback is the cost and the fact that insurance is so picky about covering it...and will only do so for a limited amount of time.

August 8, 2013 9:18 PM

Review by CaliVirgo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Constipation, Chronic: Pills are small and easy to take, just be sure to take them with food and that you'll be near a toilet. Going from 1-2 bowel movements a week to 3-4 a day.

July 28, 2013 10:43 PM

Review by Relieved!:

For Constipation, Chronic: I absolutely love this medicine. Was so constipated that all I did was sleep. Was miserably "full" with Bowel Motion maybe once every 1 to 2 weeks. Nothing else worked for me. Slight nausea sometimes (which is nothing). My energy level is restored. I thank God for giving man the knowledge to make this medicine.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 2, 2013 10:19 PM

Review by Central Texas:

For Constipation, Chronic: I've always had constipation, and like other patients my doctors always blamed it on me. I've gone up to 2 weeks without a single movement regardless of what amount of fiber I%u2019ve eaten. Needless to say laxatives and herbal supplements have been a part of my daily regime without fail. Though I%u2019ve had a hysterectomy I noticed that around my %u2018period%u2019 time the stimulants didn%u2019t work. I went to the bathroom 2 weeks ago at work and stood up to a very large amount of blood in the toilet. There was no pain or discomfort so I set up an appointment with a doctor immediately. She prescribed Amitiza to me and I%u2019m absolutely stunned that no one offered this to me before. Keeping waste in your body can cause various types of health problems, including lethargy which is a major problem for women anyway. I find my previous health care providers to be irresponsible for allowing this to continue when there was a miracle pill like this. One pill, 1x in the morning, and I%u2019m at the top of the world again. I feel a slight tightening in my chest after I%u2019ve taken it, but it%u2019s so minor that I just thought my seat belt was too tight. I don%u2019t even take it with food.

June 18, 2013 11:35 AM

Review by AMMcC:

For Constipation, Chronic: I have been on Amitiza for nearly 8 years. I take three tablets 24mcg. daily; however I only take at bedtime. If I for some reason have to take it during the day because I missed my bedtime dose, I get very nauseous, gag and diarrhea. I strongly suggest taking this medicine when you are ready to sleep. The other problem is that I need three tablets daily and it is extremely expensive.

June 5, 2013 11:36 PM

Review by Love Amitiza!:

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I've been taking 8mcg Amitiza twice a day, for two months, to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Finally! A Dr. who actually listened to me and provided a solution instead of blaming me for the GI/bowel problems. (i.e., "You need more fiber," "It's your nerves," or "It's caused by the NSAIDS you take."). Almost 40 years of daily chronic painful bloating, constipation & pain under my left ribcage is almost gone, (I'm 50.) It did take a few weeks to adjust to it. By that, I mean: 1.) Discovering that taking Fiber Supplements with the prescription caused painful gas/bloating, 2.) Determining exactly how much food/drink to ingest with each dose, to avoid gas/bloating or a headache & 3.) Remembering to take it with a meal. I'd give it a 10 if there was 0 bloating and no headaches.

May 31, 2013 7:51 PM