User Reviews for Amitiza

Learn more about Amitiza.

Constipation, Drug Induced 4 reviews 3 medications

Constipation 4 reviews 244 medications

4.8
Summary of Amitiza reviews 126 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Amitiza

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "This drug had no effect on me except for a very strange taste in my mouth. I stopped taking this after 3 weeks. I was on a low dose. Will go to specialist soon to discuss."

Ibsanxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2016

For Constipation, Chronic "Well I started this medicine on Monday and its Thursday and I am extremely sick. My stomach is killing me I sit on the toilet because I feel like I am going to go to the bathroom but nothing ever comes out. I have severe abdominal cramping and cold chills that make it even worse. My chest feels tight and I am so uncomfortable and grouchy because of the pain. This is awful I would not recommend because I was so excited about being able to go to the bathroom and be normal but this has not worked. I am not taking any more of this medication when it is suppose to help with chronic idiopathic constipation and IBS and its made it worse!! So upset I could scream..."

Nicole f (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "When I went to the doctor and told him Linzess 290 mg wasn't working for me ( I was lucky to go once a week).,He said I want to try you on Amitiza. He said this should help. Well I have been on it for 3 days and nothing!! I got a headache & chest pain the first day and only headaches on the second and third day. I can't understand why the doctors can't find out the underlying problem. I have tried everything!! I use to take Zelnorm but, they took that off the market. I don't care for this drug! My stomach makes noises and that's it!! I am still miserable!!"

Islandgirl63 (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2016

For Constipation, Drug Induced "I had a tummy tuck on Dec 18. The surgery was painful but the constipation from opioids from the surgery was just as bad. My plastic surgeon wasn't familiar with treating OIC so I called my primary care physician. She gave me Amitiza 24mcg. It took almost two days but it was amazing and I was so thankful. I had to remain on opioids for three weeks and the Amitiza worked so well I haven't had any issues!! Thank you Amitiza!!!"

A believer (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I was given this medication at the gastroenterologist office and it has not worked after 2 days of taking it. I went to the doctor because I have been so bloated. Amitiza has worsened the bloating!!!"

bloatedtoolong (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2015

For Constipation, Chronic "I have had Chronic idiopathic Constipation all my life. I am a 64 year old female. I had hemorrhoid surgery at 18 and again at 28. I remember as a young girl straining to have a bowel movement, I have tried all kinds of laxatives lubricant, fiber, stimulants, motility drugs, and everything in between. I have been taking Amitiza for 8 days and I've had 6 BM'S. WONDERFUL, LIFE CHANGING MEDICATION I have had no side effectsand my insurance covers most of the drug. I am so excited I don't know what to do.I would advise anyone with CIC to give this drug I tried. it has been a lifesaver for me I'm so glad I found out about it"

Rose1334#!! November 20, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I have had problems with IBS for several years I was on Amitiza and one of my physicians took me off it I was off for 5 years started having severe problems with my IBS again my new doctor GI doctor put me back on it and it is a God sent I am back regular again I give this medicine at 10 I have no side effects and I love it thank you"

Tee1https://lh3.googleuserc964 November 17, 2015

For Constipation, Chronic "I've had chronic constipation and IBS for six years. When I was first given this drug it was stronger than I needed, and caused severe cramping with gas. Later, when nothing else worked, I was given it again, and I learned to take it at bedtime, so that I don't notice the cramping. It's just one of many medicines I take, but my body can't expel without it. I have developed hypoglycemia, and found on an MRI that I also have a spastic colon, so I think we're about to make some trial changes, but I'm not sure I would be alive without amitiza. My insurance only pays a portion, but I use the online coupons to make it affordable."

Nickname already in use November 1, 2015

For Constipation, Chronic "I was extremely constipated due to opioid induced constipation. I took one capsule and an hour later I got chills, a severe stomach cramp and the next 8 hours were the worst experiences I have ever had. It was like I knew I had to pass the stool but try as I may, It would not budge. Severe chills were the worst pain. Combine chills and stomach pain and I was wishing I could just pass our for 2 days till this passed. Eventually after 5 hours of grunting and commode sitting I passed the stool. I won't be taking anymore since the treatment is worse than the condition. This was a sample my doctor gave me at his office. I'm glad I didn't pay for it."

jerro (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2015

For Constipation, Chronic "My doctor put me on the 24s twice a day with meal. Despite always taking it correctly, it always gives me unbearable nausea and occasionally diarrhea. For me personally the side effects make this medication very unbearable. However, I gave it a decent rating because it certainly gets things moving along. The first day I took it I passed stool 5 times which seemed excessive. Overall, it's up to you to decide if you feel better or worse after taking it."

Lil L September 26, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I tried the samples my dr sent me home with. It gave me some of the worst stomach aches of my life. And I didn't go to the bathroom anymore than I normally do. I hated this medication, it made me feel much worse."

Martiemullet August 30, 2015

For Constipation, Chronic "Caused tightness in chest and nausea"

joeRoo August 28, 2015

For Constipation, Chronic "I suffer from chronic constipation, mainly due to the side effects of medications I take to control pain from RRMS (Opana and Norco), and probably the MS itself. I am so sick of the nightly stomach pains, "sitting sessions" and nothing comes out, avoiding vacations due to "single" bathroom situation, non stop talking about it, and the effect it has on my sex life. My neuro seems hesitant to Rx Amitiza, and tells me to use Miralax, which does not work that well. Tried adding Magnesium Oxide, but gave me cramps and bad diarrhea for 3 days (a bit of a purging session if you will), of course followed by constipation again. I drink a gallon of H2O a day, and just sick and tired of dealing with this, it this med that good ?"

PaulMartin (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2015

For Constipation, Drug Induced "It was great! I also have adhesions which cause constipation too, used the Relistor injection and it never worked."

crazyarky (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I am a 30 year old woman who has been suffering from IBS-C since before my teen years. This is the only pill that has ever worked for me. There have been times where I would go off the medication because it is rather pricey. And I can tell you, I regret it every time. My IBS-C is so bad to the point where I will go weeks without any relief. And then when I am able to go, I get ridiculously sick for hours prior to the BM. The stomach pains I feel are worse than labor pains, and I would know since I have been through child birth. I only need to take one 8mcg tablet a day (with food, typically lunch time) and I stay regular. If you are struggling with a disease like this, amitiza is totally worth a shot! What do you have to lose?"

ldav85 July 24, 2015

For Constipation "My prescription was for 24 MCG twice a day. I never tried it two times in one day BC out is so unpredictable. After a few hours (or more), it gives me severe diarrhea lasting at least an hour. So I normally take it late at night so it works by the morning."

Epstar (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 15, 2015

For Constipation, Drug Induced "It seemed to work for a couple of days. Afterwards I had the side effect of over-sleeping. I slept an extra 3 hours on the 3rd morning of this drug's use. Also, no output. I had to use enema to get some output. No s**t!! I wasted hundreds of dollars cash on this drug."

vkmo (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Amitiza has saved my life...seriously. My problem was so bad that I was in danger of rupturing my colon. I ended up in ER and they could not help me so they had to admit me. Needless to say drinking a gallon of nasty stuff and the most embarrassing procedure of my life....i stayed up all night and when they discharged me the Dr gave me Amitiza to take 2 a day. I would recommend you start at 8mg and see how that works. 24 for me took some getting adjusted to so I took 1 a day and if no bm then i took the 2nd. Right now if I do not take 2 a day....I have problems...serious problems. But for me Amitiza is $24 for 60 but I would pay 200 if that is what it took to NEVER go back to ER with this problem"

Idacajun (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 17, 2015

For Constipation, Chronic "my doctor put me on Amitiza yesterday. 2 hours after taking this medication I had a BM. I had gone a week without a BM. I have suffered from Constipation all of my life. Normally I would have one BM a week on a good week two. I was always in pain, full and just uncomfortable. I cant tell you how good it feels to be "normal" I have had two more BM's today. For some this may not seem exciting but only if you have suffered from Chronic Constipation would you understand. I would recommend this to any one., I have not suffered any of the side effects that others have talked about for me it has been a God send. The only negative comment I would have is the price as insurance does not cover it and it was over $300.00 a month"

Dave in CA June 16, 2015

For Constipation, Chronic "I have been taking this medicine 24mcg once a day for a week now. Nothing has happened yet. I drink 1 to 2 quarts of water a day, on the fodmap diet, eat tofu, fresh fruits and fresh vegetables. Also eat a lot of chicken. I have had no luck so far. I have left 3 messages with my doctors nurse and no call backs yet. I feel bloated, full of gas and feel miserable. So I am stuck taking laxatives, Epson salt enema's or citrate mag (awful tasting stuff ever) then feeling sick all the next day with upset tummy and sitting on the throne off and on all day. I clean myself out about every 3 to 4 days because I feel miserable and sluggish and it starts all over again after cleaning myself out. I have had this IBS-C for about 20yrs now. It ruins my life!"

giget May 13, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I have been on Rx Miralax for years, due to a two decade long eating disorder. The Miralax works great, but for some reason my GI wanted to put me on Linzess. He gave me samples, and insurance didn't cover it. They said I had to try Amitiza first. The Linzess didn't work (horrible bloating, cramps, no movement), and the Amitiza is almost worse. I had to call out of work today because of it. I was awake all night, up and down, kept getting sick. 14ish hrs after taking the medicine, I'm having very small movements. Strongly debating calling the office and telling them I'm going back on Miralax and that's it."

No Way Rx April 14, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "This medication is great!! A few years back, I had IBS with diarrhea, but it has since changed to IBS-C. It was so bad. I was always in stomach pain, always felt full, just felt terrible and super backed up. I'm a nurse, so I tried ALL the non-pharmacological remedies for constipation. So after reading all of the reviews, I made a GI appt. Thank god I knew about Amitiza because my doctor tried to send me out the door with some pamphlets! Amitiza is a life saver. Just don't forget to take with meals so you don't feel nauseous."

AmitizaFan (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2015

For Constipation, Chronic "Amitiza is GREAT! My constipation began 11 years ago at the age 20 which caused me to deal with very bad fissures. I hated going to the bathroom. I would be in the bathroom for literally an hour to an hour and a half mentally trying to prepare myself for what would occur. I began taking laxatives every other day just get some relief but yet I still had unhealed fissures. When I finally was prescribed Amitiza I was scared to go to the bathroom as I mentally had to prepare myself and to my surprise it didn't hurt and I felt normal. I wanted to cry. I wasn't in pain. I still tend to feel slight nauseous for little while though I eat with the meds and drink plenty fluids but I will take that over constipation and pain."

T4 (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Awesomeness!"

armymom7877 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2015

For Constipation, Chronic "After several years of regular constipation and laxative use my doctor prescribed Amitiza. I took it at 6 and by 10:30 it was working. I've been taking 24mg twice daily but I think I'll cut back to only once a day because sometimes I'm nervous about leaving my house. It works too well and very fast. "

holy girl g (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2015