User Reviews for Amitiza

Learn more about Amitiza.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 32 reviews 129 medications

Constipation 4 reviews 221 medications

4.8
Summary of Amitiza reviews 113 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Amitiza

For Constipation, Drug Induced "It was great! I also have adhesions which cause constipation too, used the Relistor injection and it never worked."

crazyarky (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I am a 30 year old woman who has been suffering from IBS-C since before my teen years. This is the only pill that has ever worked for me. There have been times where I would go off the medication because it is rather pricey. And I can tell you, I regret it every time. My IBS-C is so bad to the point where I will go weeks without any relief. And then when I am able to go, I get ridiculously sick for hours prior to the BM. The stomach pains I feel are worse than labor pains, and I would know since I have been through child birth. I only need to take one 8mcg tablet a day (with food, typically lunch time) and I stay regular. If you are struggling with a disease like this, amitiza is totally worth a shot! What do you have to lose?"

ldav85 July 24, 2015

For Constipation "My prescription was for 24 MCG twice a day. I never tried it two times in one day BC out is so unpredictable. After a few hours (or more), it gives me severe diarrhea lasting at least an hour. So I normally take it late at night so it works by the morning."

Epstar (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 15, 2015

For Constipation, Drug Induced "It seemed to work for a couple of days. Afterwards I had the side effect of over-sleeping. I slept an extra 3 hours on the 3rd morning of this drug's use. Also, no output. I had to use enema to get some output. No s**t!! I wasted hundreds of dollars cash on this drug."

vkmo (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Amitiza has saved my life...seriously. My problem was so bad that I was in danger of rupturing my colon. I ended up in ER and they could not help me so they had to admit me. Needless to say drinking a gallon of nasty stuff and the most embarrassing procedure of my life....i stayed up all night and when they discharged me the Dr gave me Amitiza to take 2 a day. I would recommend you start at 8mg and see how that works. 24 for me took some getting adjusted to so I took 1 a day and if no bm then i took the 2nd. Right now if I do not take 2 a day....I have problems...serious problems. But for me Amitiza is $24 for 60 but I would pay 200 if that is what it took to NEVER go back to ER with this problem"

Idacajun (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 17, 2015

For Constipation, Chronic "my doctor put me on Amitiza yesterday. 2 hours after taking this medication I had a BM. I had gone a week without a BM. I have suffered from Constipation all of my life. Normally I would have one BM a week on a good week two. I was always in pain, full and just uncomfortable. I cant tell you how good it feels to be "normal" I have had two more BM's today. For some this may not seem exciting but only if you have suffered from Chronic Constipation would you understand. I would recommend this to any one., I have not suffered any of the side effects that others have talked about for me it has been a God send. The only negative comment I would have is the price as insurance does not cover it and it was over $300.00 a month"

Dave in CA June 16, 2015

For Constipation, Chronic "I have been taking this medicine 24mcg once a day for a week now. Nothing has happened yet. I drink 1 to 2 quarts of water a day, on the fodmap diet, eat tofu, fresh fruits and fresh vegetables. Also eat a lot of chicken. I have had no luck so far. I have left 3 messages with my doctors nurse and no call backs yet. I feel bloated, full of gas and feel miserable. So I am stuck taking laxatives, Epson salt enema's or citrate mag (awful tasting stuff ever) then feeling sick all the next day with upset tummy and sitting on the throne off and on all day. I clean myself out about every 3 to 4 days because I feel miserable and sluggish and it starts all over again after cleaning myself out. I have had this IBS-C for about 20yrs now. It ruins my life!"

giget May 13, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I have been on Rx Miralax for years, due to a two decade long eating disorder. The Miralax works great, but for some reason my GI wanted to put me on Linzess. He gave me samples, and insurance didn't cover it. They said I had to try Amitiza first. The Linzess didn't work (horrible bloating, cramps, no movement), and the Amitiza is almost worse. I had to call out of work today because of it. I was awake all night, up and down, kept getting sick. 14ish hrs after taking the medicine, I'm having very small movements. Strongly debating calling the office and telling them I'm going back on Miralax and that's it."

No Way Rx April 14, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "This medication is great!! A few years back, I had IBS with diarrhea, but it has since changed to IBS-C. It was so bad. I was always in stomach pain, always felt full, just felt terrible and super backed up. I'm a nurse, so I tried ALL the non-pharmacological remedies for constipation. So after reading all of the reviews, I made a GI appt. Thank god I knew about Amitiza because my doctor tried to send me out the door with some pamphlets! Amitiza is a life saver. Just don't forget to take with meals so you don't feel nauseous."

AmitizaFan (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2015

For Constipation, Chronic "Amitiza is GREAT! My constipation began 11 years ago at the age 20 which caused me to deal with very bad fissures. I hated going to the bathroom. I would be in the bathroom for literally an hour to an hour and a half mentally trying to prepare myself for what would occur. I began taking laxatives every other day just get some relief but yet I still had unhealed fissures. When I finally was prescribed Amitiza I was scared to go to the bathroom as I mentally had to prepare myself and to my surprise it didn't hurt and I felt normal. I wanted to cry. I wasn't in pain. I still tend to feel slight nauseous for little while though I eat with the meds and drink plenty fluids but I will take that over constipation and pain."

T4 (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Awesomeness!"

armymom7877 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2015

For Constipation, Chronic "After several years of regular constipation and laxative use my doctor prescribed Amitiza. I took it at 6 and by 10:30 it was working. I've been taking 24mg twice daily but I think I'll cut back to only once a day because sometimes I'm nervous about leaving my house. It works too well and very fast. "

holy girl g (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2015

For Constipation "I have chronic constipation. Nothing has helped including Amitiza."

Walon (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2015

For Constipation "I took 24mcg of Amitizia for 6 days twice a day. I got a pretty bad reaction from this. I had dry mouth, lightheadedness, my face was always warm, stomach aches, loss of appetite, severe anxiety, and nausea. I've come to the conclusion that the 24mcgs twice a day was far too much for my body. I weigh 117 pounds, and I don't think my body could handle that amount. If anyone is experiencing these side effects don't take it, make another appointment with your doctor to see if the dosage is too much. Also, if you have had a loss of appetite like myself, make sure to get enough sugar in your system, I had a hypoglycemic attack. Drink ginger ale, or eat if you can."

Neelyy December 28, 2014

For Constipation "I stopped after only taking 2 pills. I developed a slight problem breathing and a rash across my neck and shoulders. Also, I now have unbearable gas pains after taking 2 of these pills a week ago. I am glad that I was only given 4 pills by the pharmacist as they were out so I wasn't charged."

Sunkissed2010 December 23, 2014

For Constipation, Chronic "I've had chronic constipation all my adult life. Tried Linzess, it worked for a month then stopped. Doctor started me on Amitiza (24 mg) and it is a miracle. I've been on for four months now. After a life of 7-10 days between bowel motions, I now go comfortably 3-4 times per week. No pain, very little gas. It's a miracle for me."

Reconn (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2014

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Constipation, Chronic "Thank God for modern medicine! Constipation may seem to those who don't suffer from it in its severe form to be a minor issue, it is NOT! When going to the bathroom induces fear and anger because you know that you will spend the next 45 minutes suffering doing what others take for granted it's time to get help. After a year of using Fleets and OTC meds which did nothing I was finally given Amitiza and It was a little miracle. Don't suffer, demand this medication don't let your MD's tell you to take OTC meds which do nothing or next to nothing. I had to suffer a fissure before finally getting this simple solution to a horrible problem. Don't wait until it's a very serious medical problem deal with it now."

Bill M (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 31, 2014

For Constipation, Chronic "Day 2 of taking this medication for chronic constipation. I feel so much better. I would usually take Dulcolax, but it hurts my stomach really badly. This medicine is amazing. So thankful for it."

howardtm (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2014

For Constipation, Drug Induced "I'd never been regular, my whole life, it was always a problem that I was lucky if it resolved itself every 3 or 4 days, but then once I aged and my rheumatoid arthritis advanced to a debilitating degree, I had to go on opiates...oh dear. 7-8 days or even more of being bound up became the norm. It was REALLY painful! The only way I could help myself was to stop taking my pain meds and overdose on laxatives and enemas every few days. That usually worked within 24 hrs, but it really isn't good for you. I finally confessed to my gastroenterologist that this was going on and he prescribed me Amitiza. It took a week to work for me, but now I have the exact opposite problem. I'm on 24 mcg 2x daily. I think maybe it needs to be just once!"

GrandmaKitty April 23, 2014

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I have tried amitiza and yes it worked and got me to use the bathroom but didn't do very much for my stomach pain. I did get some relief just from going. I also had to take way over recomended dose to get anything significant. "

IBS gone! (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2014

For Constipation, Chronic "Excellent I'm so glad I was given the medication I feel so much better"

Rondellr7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I've had IBS-C for at least 2 years. In the last year, it has become increasingly worse which resulted in me being diagnosed with pelvic floor dysfunction. Like most of you, I could barely go...nothing seemed to help: Miralax, Philips, etc. I was resuming to using enemas a few times a week just to get some relief. Because of this, I was feeling tired all the time, moody and having horrible headaches. It left me feeling awful. I recently started this medicine, and it has been a God-send. I went from never being able to go on my own to at least once a day. I take it with food and water. I read the reviews on here beforehand, so I made sure to follow what others said. The first day I took it, I felt a little nauseous, but haven't since."

Ashley L. March 1, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Bloating was my biggest problem. I felt so bloated I looked pregnant! Nothing helped...and I tried them all until I tried and stayed with Amitiza. It was and is worth the expense."

jackie1117759 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 23, 2014

For Constipation, Chronic "The first round of 8mcg twice daily produced a bowel movement the next day, but further use has not helped. I will increase the dosage to 16mcg, in hopes it will work once again. From other comments, there seems to be quite a bit of leeway in dosing and in combining with other things to alleviate chronic constipation. I experienced no side effects from the 8mcg twice daily."

details (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2013

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome- Constipation and have tried everything out there. They either didn't work or had ridiculous side effects that outnumbered the advantages. Amitiza is the best medicine I have ever taken. I have very severe constipation and take 24mcg 2x/daily. I went from no bowel motions to going once every other day on average. Advice...take it with food. The only side effect I have is crazy nausea and a horrid headache if I take it on an empty stomach. Also it is very expensive and can have a hefty co-pay. Amitiza has a website where you will get a free card to cover your co-pay. I went from $25 out of pocket to $0!"

Jennay (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 3, 2013

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next