User Reviews for Lisinopril

Also known as: Prinivil, Zestril

Learn more about Lisinopril.

Lisinopril Review Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 227 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Lisinopril to treat High Blood Pressure

"I've been taken this for 5 years now and all of a sudden it felt like i was going in to anaphylactic shock but 10 × Worse I ended up at the ER because my EpiPen would not work it turns out it was from the lisinopril they said that I could be taking this for 30 years or just take it once and this could happen I tell you what I'm never taking it again"

Anonymous August 18, 2015

"I have been taking 1/2 pill of 5mg of Lisinopril for a month, I am itching like crazy, weird, no rash that i can see. But itch head to bottom of feet every day, night, minute. my bowel is light yellow and have dirreah for 1 month now and have zero energy, can't breath, and can't function. back on Amplodine Was trying to get on a kidney friendly medicine but it is not working for me."

JClifton (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2015

"I was on Lisinopril for two months. It worked in lowering my blood pressure, but I felt horrible. I was anxious, had mild tight headaches every day, didn't want to go to work, my motor coordination was slightly jerky, I had a dry cough occasionally, my heart beat very hard inside my chest, and I became out of breath just walking short distances. I'm sure this affects everyone differently, but I thought it would do serious damage to my insides, and I kind of like my insides to work properly. I still have slight jerky movements in my arms. I'm hoping this goes away soon."

Destiny242 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2015

"I've been taking Lisinopril (5mg) daily for 1-1/2 years, as prescribed by my primary care physicial, to lower my blood pressure. I initlally experienced a persistent, dry cough, which the pharmacist that filled the prescription warned me about, but found that by drinking more water, I was able to eliminate the cough. Aside from the cough, there have been no other adverse side effects associated with taking Lisinopril, and my blood pressure is now within a normal healthy range."

JamesC1968 July 24, 2015

"Good medication. Very little dryness of the mouth and other side effects absent. I have been taking for 5 years now. BP stays within accepted bounds using 20mg dosage."

Urick July 23, 2015

"Been very helpful been using for 15 years I had to double the dose and I may have to double it again"

refdmonte (taken for 10 years or more) July 17, 2015

Prinivil (lisinopril): "Gradually dry cough increased to heavy coughing especially at night after one week of taking"

Rose Mc (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2015

"Was diagnosed with mild hypertension 3 months ago and my doc put me on the drug at 10m per day. So far, it has moderated my BP, and working fine for me. I haven't experienced any of the coughs and side effects that I've been reading about."

SlimDude (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2015

"I had an allergic reaction from this medication. It blew my face up, made my break out in a real bad rash"

Maximillion67 May 27, 2015

"I have been on several bp meds all giving me side effects. I was on lisinopril 10mg, but my bp was too high so they upped it to 20mg, but it's still high. I am having tons of side effects. Nonstop headaches, lightheaded, limb tingling, aching, swelling, left arm pain, feet pain, constant congestion, chest discomfort, back pain, anxieties. I need to get them to change it before I have a stroke or heart attack."

littlerunt May 18, 2015

"I have been taking lisinopril for about 4 years as a preventative to the medication I take for my type 2 diabetes. My dosage started at 10mg and 12.5 hctz. I also have anxiety issues. I've read most of the comments here, and my side effects were very minimal with the exception that my hair became very thin and the texture changed. Has anyone else experienced this? I couldn't take it anymore due to becoming dependent on wigs and weaves. My doctor changed me to Losartan HCTZ 50-12.5. I am praying my hair will grow back."

laditea (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 14, 2015

"I started taking 10mg Lisinopril 5 years ago. It worked to lower my HBP along w/ 100mg Metoprolol (110/70), and I only had a very minor cough. BUT I finally figured out after 5 years that it caused all of my MAJOR stomach issues over this time. We couldn't figure it out, so I gave up and cut a ton of foods out of my diet, which was miserable. I was switched to Losartan and my stomach issues went away OVERNIGHT and I'm able to eat like a normal person again. Lisinopril inflamed my GI tract and caused it to hurt constantly. I found out this could be called "intestinal angioedema" but my doctors are skeptical. It lowered my blood pressure, but I'm glad to be off of it and on something else that works just as well w/out side effects."

nckhella May 2, 2015

"Started taking lisinopril over a month and a half ago%u2026 at first I noticed the dry cough, but I also noticed that my blood pressure has gone down to within normal levels. I was initially happy with the results, but then I started noticing some serious sexual dysfunction. I was unable to achieve or maintain an erection, and I never had this problem before in my life. I quit taking it for a week or so and then I noticed my libido was back to its normal levels. Started taking it again, and then noticed that I was unable to have erections, maintain them, and I had absolutely no sex drive. Needless to say, I am a sexually active adult male, and I cannot live this way, neither can my wife. I stopped taking lisinopril again, and will talk to Dr about another one"

RichdMan April 28, 2015

"At 27 this was the first medication doctor prescribed for blood pressure. I had shortness of breath, headaches and rapid heart rate. I was only on it a week, I just couldn't tolerate it"

yaya27 (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2015

"Early this year my blood pressure just went up and stayed there. 199 over the 96. Some days lower but still 148 over 90. Been on low dose Lisinopril for a month. Now blood pressure is nev128 more than 126 over 80 or under 96 over 60. Left arm still hurts like a Charlie horse. Never had a migraine before or after. I'm 49, white male. Eating about 1860 calories and averaging 3 miles a day not including gym time."

DanthemanO March 21, 2015

"Started using lisinopril stopping water pill due to night Terrors. BP went down the first week the went back to high so they doubled my dose to 20mg a day. My. Face has a burning itch around the face near the ears, horrible cough all day and night, also none stop headache. I really dislike drugs I mean really..... what's the long term effects? Gonna lose weight, exercise, no gluten, and meditate . See how it goes."

calamitybj March 13, 2015

"Seems to help with my blood pressure and protein in my urine. I am also type 2 diabetic. No noticeable side effects."

mch999 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 22, 2015

"I was given a prescription of Lisinopril 5 mg. to reduce my high blood pressure. First med. I might add I've ever taken being leery of any medication short of aspirins. Not only has it reduced my BP to normal levels, my nighttime trips to the bathroom have ended and I've never felt better. I'm over 65 and other than the BP, I am in good health."

Very Relieved (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2015

"Started taking lisinopril after previous high blood pressure didn't help. Lisinopril brought my BP down to normal level and stabilized it pretty quickly. Have a slight dry cough but nothing too bad. No other side effects."

KittyKoo February 1, 2015

"I've enjoyed everyone`s experiences and opinions, however, you all have mentioned your blood pressure readings, but have not said anything about your pulse rate. So I thought I would bring that up because I've had some low pulse rates, anyone else? My Doctor started me on Lisinopril 5 mg eight days ago. I have been testing my Blood Pressure at home and have a chart that I record the readings on so I can spot any sudden changes. My lowest Blood Pressure Reading was 95 over 65, pulse 60. To me that`s scary. My highest reading was 153 over 84, pulse 95. This is due to extreme pain in my Lumbar. I was hit by a semi-dump truck T-Bone style at my drivers door. It messed up 3 disk in my lumbar. I refused back surgery, already had neck surgery."

TeaSee January 24, 2015

"42 yrs old, decent shape, exercise regularly, eat pretty well most of the time. Family history of high blood pressure. I waited nearly a yr after the doctor prescribed lisinopril. Neighbor, 46 who was in great shape had a massive heart attack and died while jogging. Scared me. I've been taking it 3 days and I feel so much better! Did not realize the side effects of high blood pressure. Coughing a little, but I'll take that all day long to avoid bigger problems."

Anonymous January 23, 2015

"I've been taking Lisinopril for a month now and I feel just fine. No noticeable difference as far as symptoms and my blood pressure has been reduced to an acceptable level. "

Mr. Feeljustfine January 23, 2015

"Worked effectively lo lower bp, but within a short time after starting the lisinopril, I developed the "lisinopril cough," an irritating syndrome that results in hacking cough day, night, and in my sleep. Discontinued this medication due to that (highly known) side effect."

captkrash January 20, 2015

"I've been taking it for a few months now. My blood pressure has gone from 140/91 ish to around normal. I would give it a ten but it's brought back my night terrors."

Gingerhair1105 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2015

"27 year old, male. Been taking 5mg for just over a week now my blood pressure has gone from 180/110 to 125/85 and I'm feeling so much better. Very happy with this, so far no side effects I'm aware of."

SDXYL (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2014