User Reviews for Lisinopril

Also known as: Prinivil, Zestril

Learn more about Lisinopril.

Lisinopril Review Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 262 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Lisinopril to treat High Blood Pressure

"I have been using 10mg Lisinopril made by Sandoz and it's great. BP is under control. Very little side effect. No coughing, no farting and crapping my pants. I can still run long distance and get it up. I previously was taking Lisinopril made by Actavis and that brand made me cough all the time I couldn't sleep, gave me gas, a weak sphincter, I had to periodically check my rear end and wipe, and it gave me ED. I don't know why Sandoz and Actavis are so different but they are. FYI I'm also taking 5,000 mg L-Arginine to increase blood flow and put lead in my pencil."

AVjeeper May 21, 2015

"I have been on several bp meds all giving me side effects. I was on lisinopril 10mg, but my bp was too high so they upped it to 20mg, but it's still high. I am having tons of side effects. Nonstop headaches, lightheaded, limb tingling, aching, swelling, left arm pain, feet pain, constant congestion, chest discomfort, back pain, anxieties. I need to get them to change it before I have a stroke or heart attack."

littlerunt May 18, 2015

"I have been taking lisinopril for about 4 years as a preventative to the medication I take for my type 2 diabetes. My dosage started at 10mg and 12.5 hctz. I also have anxiety issues. I've read most of the comments here, and my side effects were very minimal with the exception that my hair became very thin and the texture changed. Has anyone else experienced this? I couldn't take it anymore due to becoming dependent on wigs and weaves. My doctor changed me to Losartan HCTZ 50-12.5. I am praying my hair will grow back."

laditea (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 14, 2015

"I started taking 10mg Lisinopril 5 years ago. It worked to lower my HBP along w/ 100mg Metoprolol (110/70), and I only had a very minor cough. BUT I finally figured out after 5 years that it caused all of my MAJOR stomach issues over this time. We couldn't figure it out, so I gave up and cut a ton of foods out of my diet, which was miserable. I was switched to Losartan and my stomach issues went away OVERNIGHT and I'm able to eat like a normal person again. Lisinopril inflamed my GI tract and caused it to hurt constantly. I found out this could be called "intestinal angioedema" but my doctors are skeptical. It lowered my blood pressure, but I'm glad to be off of it and on something else that works just as well w/out side effects."

nckhella May 2, 2015

"Started taking lisinopril over a month and a half ago%u2026 at first I noticed the dry cough, but I also noticed that my blood pressure has gone down to within normal levels. I was initially happy with the results, but then I started noticing some serious sexual dysfunction. I was unable to achieve or maintain an erection, and I never had this problem before in my life. I quit taking it for a week or so and then I noticed my libido was back to its normal levels. Started taking it again, and then noticed that I was unable to have erections, maintain them, and I had absolutely no sex drive. Needless to say, I am a sexually active adult male, and I cannot live this way, neither can my wife. I stopped taking lisinopril again, and will talk to Dr about another one"

RichdMan April 28, 2015

"At 27 this was the first medication doctor prescribed for blood pressure. I had shortness of breath, headaches and rapid heart rate. I was only on it a week, I just couldn't tolerate it"

yaya27 (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2015

"Early this year my blood pressure just went up and stayed there. 199 over the 96. Some days lower but still 148 over 90. Been on low dose Lisinopril for a month. Now blood pressure is nev128 more than 126 over 80 or under 96 over 60. Left arm still hurts like a Charlie horse. Never had a migraine before or after. I'm 49, white male. Eating about 1860 calories and averaging 3 miles a day not including gym time."

DanthemanO March 21, 2015

"Started using lisinopril stopping water pill due to night Terrors. BP went down the first week the went back to high so they doubled my dose to 20mg a day. My. Face has a burning itch around the face near the ears, horrible cough all day and night, also none stop headache. I really dislike drugs I mean really..... what's the long term effects? Gonna lose weight, exercise, no gluten, and meditate . See how it goes."

calamitybj March 13, 2015

"Seems to help with my blood pressure and protein in my urine. I am also type 2 diabetic. No noticeable side effects."

mch999 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 22, 2015

"I was given a prescription of Lisinopril 5 mg. to reduce my high blood pressure. First med. I might add I've ever taken being leery of any medication short of aspirins. Not only has it reduced my BP to normal levels, my nighttime trips to the bathroom have ended and I've never felt better. I'm over 65 and other than the BP, I am in good health."

Very Relieved (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2015

"Started taking lisinopril after previous high blood pressure didn't help. Lisinopril brought my BP down to normal level and stabilized it pretty quickly. Have a slight dry cough but nothing too bad. No other side effects."

KittyKoo February 1, 2015

"I've enjoyed everyone`s experiences and opinions, however, you all have mentioned your blood pressure readings, but have not said anything about your pulse rate. So I thought I would bring that up because I've had some low pulse rates, anyone else? My Doctor started me on Lisinopril 5 mg eight days ago. I have been testing my Blood Pressure at home and have a chart that I record the readings on so I can spot any sudden changes. My lowest Blood Pressure Reading was 95 over 65, pulse 60. To me that`s scary. My highest reading was 153 over 84, pulse 95. This is due to extreme pain in my Lumbar. I was hit by a semi-dump truck T-Bone style at my drivers door. It messed up 3 disk in my lumbar. I refused back surgery, already had neck surgery."

TeaSee January 24, 2015

"42 yrs old, decent shape, exercise regularly, eat pretty well most of the time. Family history of high blood pressure. I waited nearly a yr after the doctor prescribed lisinopril. Neighbor, 46 who was in great shape had a massive heart attack and died while jogging. Scared me. I've been taking it 3 days and I feel so much better! Did not realize the side effects of high blood pressure. Coughing a little, but I'll take that all day long to avoid bigger problems."

Anonymous January 23, 2015

"I've been taking Lisinopril for a month now and I feel just fine. No noticeable difference as far as symptoms and my blood pressure has been reduced to an acceptable level. "

Mr. Feeljustfine January 23, 2015

"Worked effectively lo lower bp, but within a short time after starting the lisinopril, I developed the "lisinopril cough," an irritating syndrome that results in hacking cough day, night, and in my sleep. Discontinued this medication due to that (highly known) side effect."

captkrash January 20, 2015

"I've been taking it for a few months now. My blood pressure has gone from 140/91 ish to around normal. I would give it a ten but it's brought back my night terrors."

Gingerhair1105 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2015

"27 year old, male. Been taking 5mg for just over a week now my blood pressure has gone from 180/110 to 125/85 and I'm feeling so much better. Very happy with this, so far no side effects I'm aware of."

SDXYL (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2014

"Lisinopril is an effective blood pressure medicine, however one of its significant side effects is Rosacea. I needed to stop taking and switch to beta blocker atenolol to control my blood pressure."

AA1 December 30, 2014

"I've seen strong blood pressure and migraine reduction results but am awakened nightly a few times with a dry, hacking cough and have lost mostly all of my libido though I've never ever had that in my life and I'm happy and very in love. I'm on 20 mg daily."

J. B. R. (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2014

"Dry cough started after usage began. Cough was quite harsh and would cause me to wake at various times each night."

Toms Z06 (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2014

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Started taking this medication after giving birth to my baby 7 mos ago. It works wonderful on my blood pressure 201/170 to 116/85, but I feel aweful. I feel dizzy, light headed at times, aches and pains left arm pain and chest pain I thought I was having a heart attack. Now I have numbness and tingling to my extremities. Im only on 10 mg but I need a change I dont feel good with all these side effects."

marisamf October 15, 2014

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Cardiologist put me on this 5 yrs ago. I've been getting bone and shoulder arm pain, and not thinking it was the medicine kept thinking I had something else. Finally I got so fed up with the bone pain the doctor changed the medicine a few days ago. Pain has lessened. "

Granmammie (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 12, 2014

"I'm a 52 Hispanic male, started lisinopril 10mg seven days ago, blood pressure was 150/80 before starting medicines, last couple of days it's been 111/73 and 110/72 but last night I blacked out and fell to the ground, my wife say's I shook before falling, I told her before passing out that I didn't feel well. Paramedics think I "bottomed out" and to tell my doctor and he'll probably change it from 10mg. It was scary, thought I saw the "white light", I'm losing weight too, maybe too fast. Anyway I'm hoping he'll let me not take them at all and just let me try with my lifestyle changes."

Eddie B. (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2014

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Started 10 mg in 2008 increased to 20mg in 2010. Only side effect occasional dry cough. I sleep very well at night. I take my pill every morning. White male age 62."

George F August 24, 2014

"Started taking Lisinopril after 10 years of Valsartan....for migraine prevention and high blood pressure. 10 MG once at night before bed. Works well for BP. Side Effects: A slightly higher tendency to cough/tickling in the throat. *Vivid dreams - No doubt about it - much more vivid and memorable dreams. *Migraines - I have been a migraine sufferer for much of my life. I didn't know that Lisinopril was used for migraine prevention until after being on the it for well over a month and commenting to my wife that my migraines had suddenly stopped. That feature alone, aside from blood pressure reduction, would be worth taking this medicine."

Diokan August 13, 2014