User Reviews for Lisinopril

Also known as: Prinivil, Zestril

Learn more about Lisinopril.

Lisinopril review summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 260 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Lisinopril to treat High Blood Pressure

Review by my experience (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zestril (lisinopril): I started taking Lisinopril and was fine then one day I got them refilled and for the next week I was so tired I could barely get out of bed. I was told they changed the place where the pharmacy got the meds which probably meant was a different formula because the pills look different. I requested name brand Zestril even though they were more expensive. I felt 100% better! No more generic for me!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 2, 2014 4:57 PM
Review by Anymous: User Rating:

lisinopril: Have been taking 10MG Zestril/Lisinopril for forty years plus, I am 69. It worked OK when I was in a very stressful job and works much better now that I am retired. I do have the runny nose issue but live in AZ so not sure if that is allergies. Based on what I have read in peoples comments, I am going to assume it is the meds. I also take what is called a water pill. The fatigue thing mentioned by many also applies to me. Erectile dysfunction is also a significant issue. I am considering getting off the medicines to see if that helps that issue. If anyone out there can provide any info on that matter, it would be appreciated.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 30, 2014 1:18 PM
Review by Rain2222 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

lisinopril: I was on it for 2 years and the quality of my life deteriorated. When I began losing my hair I looked up the side effects of this and I found I must have been one who was very intolerant to it. I had the hacking cough, runny nose, my voice was hoarse, muscle cramps at night, incontinence, lethargy, thin brittle fingernails, and insomnia. I stopped taking it and all those symptoms are gone. I had seen doctors about these symptoms but they dismissed them.

March 13, 2014 12:09 AM
Review by Yessum (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

lisinopril: Made me feel tired, depressed, but did lower my blood pressure. I only took it whilst I worked on getting my blood pressure down with exercise and diet. I have been off of it for a couple of months now and am bursting into life again! Still, it did its job well.

March 11, 2014 4:45 PM
Review by Uncle Bugle (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

lisinopril: Despite the reactions of some earlier reviewers, one of the reasons I prefer lisinopril to the others I've tried is that I do NOT feel dizzy. Nor do I feel groggy as I did on quinapril. I do find that I don't sleep well, and it does contribute to impotence. It also works really well, and I can get by on a smaller dose.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 19, 2014 11:39 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

lisinopril: Not a good experience with this medication. I had constant lightheadedness upon standing and almost fainted once or twice. It also caused muscle cramping in my back.

February 19, 2014 1:15 AM
Review by Uncle Bugle (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

lisinopril: I have "auditioned" eleven blood pressure medicines. So far, lisinopril is the least objectionable. For one thing, it really works. My blood pressure is down to 117/78 at 10 a.m. This is on only 2.5 mg, which is 1/2 of the smallest tablet they make. Two months ago, before lisinopril, I went to the ER because I was at 170/104. I do have a slight increase in head pain where I have had repeated craniotomies, but it is definitely less than any of the other medicines I've tried. I also retain water, have some hair loss, have lower blood sugar (not good for me because I am hypoglycemic), and somewhat wakeful sleep. But the worst symptom is that it makes me impotent to the point of penile atrophy. A good medicine for women.

February 17, 2014 1:38 PM
Review by Buckeye Boy (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

lisinopril: I am a 57 year old male with historically high blood pressure. I was averaging 140 - 150 over high 90's to low 100's. I have been on the medication for about 3 weeks and my blood pressure is averaging 120's over 80's with no side effects at all. I hope this continues.

February 12, 2014 10:43 AM
Review by sknellie: User Rating:

lisinopril: Have been on Lisonipril for 3 yrs with no side effects so I'm lucky. Has kept my blood pressure within normal range or lower.

January 27, 2014 12:19 PM
Review by Lorilu441953: User Rating:

lisinopril: Lisinopril is very effective at reducing my blood pressure. I have to be careful to stay hydrated to avoid the lightheadedness when standing up. I have fibromyalgia and have muscle aches and pains and attributed the muscles aches to that. I missed 2 days of the med and felt pretty good - blood pressure was fine. I know meds stay in our bodies for a few days, so I wasn't concerned. I took the med the next day and realized the awful muscle pain was back. I tried this 2 more times to make sure it wasn't a coincidence. The Lisinopril is causing the extreme muscle aches. No more Lisinopril for me!

December 29, 2013 11:06 AM
Review by Reg Tucker: User Rating:

lisinopril: I took one dose experienced nausea, diarrhea, muscle weakness, dizziness, complete lethargy to point I couldn't function. Couldn't sleep without jerking awake and it actually scared me.

December 14, 2013 10:14 AM
Review by Minimoohead:

Prinivil (lisinopril): The cough with all the congestion is annoying. Everyone is always asking if I'm ill. My blood pressure is still averaging 190/124. BPM are around 90-135. I have been on 2.5 mg for 4 months with no change. I'm a 48 year old white female in a high pressured medical career. No health insurance so my Dr. writes me Linsinopril because it is free. My next appointment is in 2 weeks. I'm sure he will make changes.

December 7, 2013 10:57 AM
Review by Rose2Ian (taken for less than 1 month):

lisinopril: Since beginning lisinopril I've been having vivid waking dreams and find it difficult to go back to sleep. I wake from loud clear sounds (breaking glass, doors creaking open) that leave my heart racing (anxiety?). When I do remain asleep my dreams are bad dreams (nightmares).

November 21, 2013 12:02 PM
Review by Local girl (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

lisinopril: My family history includes high bp. I started taking Lisinopril 20mg about 6 months ago in combination with HCTZ 7.5mg. The meds have greatly reduced my bp from 170/105 to 98/65. The side effects I experienced are dizziness, nausea and lack of sex drive. My lifestyle includes eating healthy and excercise. I'm considering asking my provider to lower my lisinopril dose.

October 28, 2013 11:40 AM
Review by Nmalik (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

lisinopril: I am a 28 year old female and have been taking this for more than a year, was on an angiotensin receptor blockers before. It works quite well. Lowered the dose from 10mg to 7.5 mg. Changed the brand and got the famous annoying dry cough but went back o my old brand and it is gone. With occasional dizziness and headaches it is the only medicine which has alone been able to lower my blood pressure.

August 28, 2013 2:06 AM
Review by big bad john: User Rating:

lisinopril: Discovered lisinopril was the cause of terrible headaches for 3 years on them. By accident quit taking them because blood pressure fell so low and no more headaches.

August 13, 2013 9:15 PM
Review by shmo (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Prinivil (lisinopril): My lungs felt stuffy and a lot of nasal congestion. This had become so severe that I almost went to the emergency room on a couple of occasions thinking I was having extreme allergy problems.

August 6, 2013 6:39 PM
Review by dauna (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Zestril (lisinopril): Effective in lowing blood pressure, but gave me a terrible dry cough so had to change to another medicine.

August 6, 2013 12:45 PM
Review by efax (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

lisinopril: Been taking lisinopril 10 mg for about 10 months and found it highly effective in controlling my high blood pressure from close to 150-78 down to about 119-65. No side effects experienced other than feeling slight dizziness when getting up from the floor after doing abdominals in the gym.

July 28, 2013 2:04 PM
Review by snooki1000: User Rating:

Prinivil (lisinopril): Helps me feel normal. Generic lisinopril caused severe dizziness.

July 27, 2013 9:48 AM
Review by sissy123456789 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

lisinopril: Didn't work and made my nose bleed.

July 25, 2013 5:28 PM
Review by Sunshine_66: User Rating:

lisinopril: It does lower the blood pressure, sometimes too much. But beware of the side effects - after being on the medication for almost two years I developed fast heart beat, chest pains, shortness of breath, depression, dizziness not upon standing up but simply while working at my desk, stomach pains, bad heartburn. The dry cough was pretty annoying, too. Been off of it for 5 days and most of the side effects are gone.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 9, 2013 11:31 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

lisinopril: It does lower my blood pressure. I went from 170/110 to 140-119 over 90 to 80 . My blood pressure doesn't stay anywhere near the numbers. That is why I posted it that way. But, yes I get dizzy, when standing, or walking fast, I also get a slight cough or a tickle in my throat. The dizzy seems to be worse in the hot weather.

July 1, 2013 12:52 AM
Review by Carol70: User Rating:

lisinopril: Doc put me on 10mg. I developed what seemed like sciatic nerve pain. Every morning when getting out of bed for the day I had pain in my left buttocks, thigh, down my calf & tingling into my foot. After being up for an hour or so, the pain subsided & I could pretty much do what I wanted. I also noticed I was easily fatigued & felt somewhat depressed. Doc increased the dose to 20mg daily after 6 months. Then the sciatic pain in the morning increased to nearly unbearable. I had no energy. I was ready to see an Orthopedic Dr when I checked on line for severe side effects of Lisinopril. I was stunned - joint, nerve & sciatic pain. Hair loss, weight gain, depression, cough, fatigue & etc. I stopped the med. & now feeling great.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 28, 2013 11:25 PM
Review by Romocadd (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

lisinopril: Lisinopril 10mg and jumping rope twice a day for 10 mins, controlled my high blood pressure bringing the numbers from 140/90 to 118/60. Not side effects at all. I'm guessing I'm so lucky not feeling the side effects as many people do.

June 4, 2013 6:32 PM