User Reviews for Victoza

Learn more about Victoza.

Victoza review summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 48 medications used in the treatment of Obesity.

Reviews for Victoza to treat Obesity

Review by Hopeful loser (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Just finished my first week at 0.6 and was quite ill all week. Headache and nausea being the main symptoms along with mild fever and lack of energy... But I'm down 7lbs ! No wonder though, I hardly ate. I'm a little nervous about upping the dose to 1.2 tomorrow as I'm just starting to feel better, but I'll give it a shot. If I find it's too much too quick I will go back to 0.6 for a while longer until my body can tolerate it more. Even though I was sick, the 7lbs lost in that first week was worth it and gave me that boost I needed. I feel motivated now.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 10, 2014 4:32 AM
Review by luckymom58: User Rating:

I lost 10 pounds after using Victoza and injecting it into my stomach. But now I gained it back and it doesn't seem to be working. Help!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 26, 2014 11:06 AM
Review by whenmad (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I've been on Victoza for weight loss for approx 6 weeks. I was started on 0.6 the first week, 1.2 the second and 1.8 the third. I had a touch of nausea the first two weeks but found that if I ate a small snack (carrot, apple) the nausea went away. I've lost 18 pounds so far and I feel great.

March 13, 2014 10:59 AM
Review by Hourglass2 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have been on Victoza for 8 weeks. I am a type 2 diabetic and started Victoza to help control my blood sugar levels but the weight loss that has come with taking this medication is what made me a believer. I had all the side effects the first two weeks but it was never intolerable and an amazing weight loss of a pound a day during that time kept me taking the medicine. The weight loss has slowed to a slow but steady rate of 1-2 pounds per week and after 8 weeks I have lost 26 pounds. I feel better than I have felt in years! I love this medication!

February 7, 2014 9:58 AM
Review by anonymous.cdn (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Been on Victoza 8 weeks for weight loss, had no side effects until after 4 weeks. Swollen tongue, red lump and itch at injection point. Lost 10lbs first month and nothing since. Started with 0.6 and upped to 1.2 as prescribed. Appetite has gone down a little, cravings are pretty much completely gone. Added exercise 3-4 x a week since new year. Still no more weight loss.

January 26, 2014 1:11 PM
Review by SAIVF: User Rating:

I was told I had to lose 44lbs in 3 months so I could have IVF. I've been using Victoza for 3.5 weeks and I've lost 14lbs. Took 0.6 for the first 2 days and been on 1.2 ever since. I had some nausea and lethargy for the first 4 days, but after that I felt great. I've been working out about 5 - 6 days per week and feeling strong. I wanted to ask whether Victoza side-effects get a "second wind" after a while, because today I feel terrible. I had a rather fatty meal yesterday for lunch, but a small portion. Felt ill almost instantly and have been feeling headachy, queasy and "fuzzy" all day today. I also think I might have a fever. I am very healthy otherwise, so I don't think it can be anything but Victoza. I have ZERO appetite today.

August 20, 2013 8:30 AM
Review by VeryLargeBob: User Rating:

I'm very tall and very overweight. Six months on a controlled diet and exercise program yielded no results. My doctor put me on Victoza, suspecting some sort of metabolism issue (fasting blood sugar was a constant 101 for several years). Starting dose of 0.6 gave me a 20 minute headache each morning and left me lethargic. It got better in a week, upped to 1.2, same thing started. 20 minute headache, no energy. Again, it got better each day. Hit maintenance level of 1.8 and the weight began pouring off me at roughly a pound a day! A very effective appetite suppressant and my fasting blood sugar averages 91 now.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 24, 2013 11:57 AM
Review by Lorellen57 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I am in a clinical research study. I began this in July 2011. At first I lost a lot of weight quickly (about 15 lbs in 2 months). I lost 21lbs altogether. My appetite was nil and my blood pressure went down! But after about a year, the appetite is back in full swing and blood pressure is going back up. Have also gained 10 pounds back. Also still pre-diabetic. I guess after a while it stops working. I have 1 more year to go in the study.

May 22, 2013 7:16 AM
Review by Maruchenga: User Rating:

I am taking Victoza 1.6 everyday. At the beginning I lost 10 lb but since then I don't move.

April 12, 2013 1:38 PM
Review by pamther: User Rating:

My Dr. Suggested adding Victoza to metformin and Actos treatment for diabetes since my a1c levels were getting progressively higher and I am 100lbs overweight. In 5 weeks I lost 23 lbs. For the first 3 weeks I experienced nausea and extreme fatigue. I love Victoza because for the first time I feel full after eating small portions, I have a greatly reduced interest in food and appetite. I feel relieved that I can finally eat to live and not live to eat.

153 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 14, 2013 8:42 PM
Review by Waverider (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have been on Victoza since Jan 9th. I am impressed with how well things are going. I was diagnosed as insulin resistant and am overweight and would like to lose 70 lbs. I have lost 20 lbs so far. I modified my diet and faithfully use a fit bit daily to log my activity, diet and glucose levels. I am staying on a 0.6 dose and am happy to say my glucose levels are ranging between 85 and 105. I had one day of nausea.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 20, 2013 8:38 PM
Review by Ms_Reese (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I have Type 2 Diabetes my blood sugar is controlled. I am very overweight, I was 5'8 314 lbs on January 6th of this year. Disgusted with my predicament, I started two things Weight Watchers and Victoza. This morning I weighed in at 293 Lbs. I started out on the 0.6 dosage that I could barely tolerate and have eventually made it to the 1.2 dosage this is my sweet spot, I have plans to move up my dosage at this points as my morning blood sugars are 85-90 and will decrease with more weight loss. Victoza is truly a miracle. Before Victoza I took Metforming 500 mg ER which did nothing to help me lose weight. It controlled my blood sugars but no weight loss. I am excited to see how much more I can lose, in 1 month I dropped 21 pounds.

February 4, 2013 10:56 AM
Review by karamaje (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I've been on 0.6mg Victoza for 2 weeks, then 1.2 for two weeks. Down about 10lbs. Doctor said to up to 1.8 in another two weeks. He said it shouldn't help me lose all the weight I need to so he wants to put me on Qsymia. I'm not sure I want to lose more than 10lbs a month. Noticed diarrhea on first day or two, then again first day or two at 1.2. Appetite suppressant. Less craving for sugar and carbs. Overall a good medicine. Supposed to help prevent diabetes as well. Blood sugar tested at 85 today. Before Victoza I was averaging 99-105.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 2, 2013 4:15 PM
Review by conneautguy (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

1 week in, down 8 pounds and feel great. I've been very solid on my diet keeping under 2000 calories a day and 30 minutes on the treadmill at 4.0. Energy is great, no nausea or side effects at all. Love this.

November 6, 2012 11:21 AM
Review by siva chetty (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I need to be put on the list for a lung transplant and my Pulmonogist said that I must lose 10 kg in 3 months to have an evaluation.I have been on Victoza for 1 month and have lost 4kg. I started on 0.6 then increased to 0.10 and now I'm on 1.2. Only once did I have nausea and a slight headache. I do not feel hungry and I believe that Victoza works. I was on diabetes medicine tablets and insulin. I am still taking the tablet but have stopped the insulin. And now I'm slowly, very slowly finding the courage to exercise. Keep a positive mind and try to focus and do things that will complimentary weigh loss and a happy life.

October 16, 2012 3:02 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I was worried this would not work for me since I was not really that overweight (6'2-206). I began working out 5 times a week and was losing weight but only a very small amount and I was hitting a wall. Once I began using Victoza and continuing my workout routine the weight just started shedding right off. This was everything I always dreamed of. You will lose some weight just by taking this but if you include it with working out wow! Also it does curve your appetite but I have noticed you can eat healthier things without feeling ill. It seems that high sugar and fats are the ones that I get turned off too which is just an added bonus. 1 month into it and I am now 186lbs so I have lost 20 pounds and feel and look great!

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 24, 2012 12:29 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I took only two days at 0.6 and by the second day I was totally confused, weak, nauseous, acid reflux, ears ringing, circulation issues, the works, etc. It really curbed my appetite, but I literally caved under the side effects. I stopped for two weeks and started again this week at two clicks, which is about 0.1. The side effects are still there, but more bearable, however my appetite is not fully curbed, only a bit at lunch time, and not really at night. I will increase the dose slowly to curb appetite more, despite the remaining side-effects. I really hope to lose weight, gained in a year because my adrenals/ hormones gave me huge cravings at night because of deep fatigue. Its worth it to stop and try again at a different dose.

May 4, 2012 9:38 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've only been on this medication for two days. I've tried every appetite suppressant out there. I overeat constantly. I'm at risk for diabetes. My cholesterol is sky high but I still can't stop eating chocolate. I'm at 0.6 now. No nausea or other side effects. I still crave chocolate and peanut butter and any food I can get my hands on. I need this to work. It seems to work for everyone else except me.

April 27, 2012 2:17 PM
Review by Latishacar121: User Rating:

I am a pre-Diabetic and overweight. I needed to lose 65 pounds and failed after every single diet I tried. My doctor put me on Victoza and started me on 10 clicks a day and upped my dose every week until I reached 50 clicks on my Flex-pen (3 mg). At first I went through constant headaches and nausea in the morning when I took my dose at 9pm. I changed my dose time to 5pm and the nausea subsided after 8 weeks. My eating habits have changed (I'm less hungry and eat less) and for the last 4 months I lost 15 pounds. Look, this medication works, but you can make small changes week by week to the way you eat (I cut soda out all together by week 9). Victoza has changed my life.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 16, 2012 6:34 PM
Review by MissAmericaPie: User Rating:

After losing 80 pounds in 1 year by walking EVERY SINGLE DAY for 45 minutes then increasing to 1 hr plus, I was unable to lose any more weight. Weight was stable for 5 yrs via 1 to 2 hrs Cardio and Weight Training 4 times a week, and constant vigil of quality and quantity of food. I am hypothyroid, but not diabetic. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth for SOME HELP on losing these last 25 or 30 lbs, my wonderful doctor put me on Victoza 2 days before Thanksgiving. I AM GIVING JOYFUL THANKS. I do not even think about food-- have ZERO hunger or cravings! For me, this is a miracle!

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 27, 2011 3:07 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I take this medicine for weight loss only. I am not a diabetic...lost about 20lbs in about four months. The first month saw the most weight loss. I now lose about 4-6 lbs a month. I am happy that I am still losing weight...the only side effect I have had is a random headache but that started when I upped my dosage to 1.8. Yes, the medicine came with some side effects, all drugs do...but you need to take it so see what side effects you may have since everybody is difference. Then you need to out weigh the pros and cons. For me I will put up with the random headache to keep losing the weight.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 6, 2011 5:14 PM
Review by Pre-D in Pokey.: User Rating:

I am taking this medication due to pre diabetes, insulin resistant. I am taking it with metformin. I am up to the 1.2 dose after two weeks and I have lost about 3 lbs, however I feel really sick to my stomach and I have had headaches everyday. I am not hungry and food does not taste the same which could be a good thing. I find it hard to figure out what I want to eat and then I can never finish it because I get full faster. So I can see that this could be a really great way to lose the weight but when I test my sugar it's still at 160 so I am not sure if it is doing what its supposed to do. I am also having trouble sleeping, not sure if that is a side effect or not.

September 9, 2011 3:58 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been on Victoza 1.2 for three weeks and have lost 6 pounds. I had a headache and heartburn for the first few days but now no side effects. I love it.

January 3, 2011 10:36 AM
Review by cindyroo: User Rating:

I am a prediabetic with glucose at 109 fasting. I am taking Victoza to lose weight and not become a full fledged diabetic. After trying Byetta which made me sick and not lose weight, my endocrinologist prescribed Victoza July 2nd. I have lost 6 pounds, eat only when I need to, eat foods that are better for me and have NO NAUSEA at all. In 3 weeks I have already bumped up to 1.8mg a day. I love this medicine and will stay on it until I go from my current 180 to 125.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 16, 2010 3:29 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

This drug makes me so lethargic I can't drive for fear of falling asleep at the wheel. I can barely get out of bed. This got worst when my MD upped the dose to 1.8, I think maybe I should go back a dose. I lose 5lbs in 4 weeks, but I haven't decided its worth since I am so fatigued I can't function on a normal level. Most days I can't even get out of my pajamas but it is the only sympton I have experienced. My MD said he had not heard this complaint from any other patient.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 7, 2010 9:21 AM