Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Victoza

Learn more about Victoza.

Victoza review summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 109 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Victoza to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Review by Carol 855 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Blood sugars and HbA1C have greatly improved. Some early nausea which improved after about 2 weeks. During the Next 6 weeks I felt very good, however the last 2 weeks the nausea, heartburn and abdominal discomfort has returned. I am now considering stopping the medication, I have an appointment with my doctor to discuss it next week.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 16, 2014 7:38 PM
Review by Rephill:

I have been on 0.6 ml of Victoza for 7 days now to control my type 2 Diabetes. The first 5 days were hellacious to say the least! I had debilitating nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and those horrible sulfur burps and gas that ran everyone away from me and sent me to the ER thinking my insides were deteriorating! LOL! But by day 6, the side effects subsided. I lost 10 lbs within the first 3 days. Tomorrow I have to increase the dosage, but I'm praying that I won't have to deal with the side effects again. So far so good.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 10, 2014 11:48 AM
Review by Deanna72: User Rating:

I started Victoza about a month ago. Started with 0.6 for a week than increase to 1.2. I felt nauseous the first week but just off and on and mild. Each day over the last couple of weeks I have become more and more ill. My numbers not only did not stay lower as they did when I first started but they have actually increased. I have a headache non stop and haven't lost a pound despite not eating much due to being so sick. I stopped taking it a couple nights ago due to not being able to even sleep. I was waking in the middle of the night feeling like I was going to vomit. I still feel nauseous but it's getting better.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 6, 2014 2:56 PM
Review by redbutterfly44 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Me again! I am now completing my second week of Victoza. My blood sugars are down around 102 after being at 200-250 most of the time! Amazing! I have had some nausea side effects though. I can barely eat, it's work to put anything into my mouth and I am a huge foodie. Love to think about, look at and eat food but I just can't do it. It's really weird. I have lost 4 pounds from when I started this medicine and I can tell I will lose more because it is a struggle to eat. There have been 2 days that I have had to go home from work, though. Those 2 days all I could do was sleep and I just felt miserable. Yesterday was one of those days and I had a horrible headache that wouldn't go away with Advil. I'll report again in a few weeks!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 4, 2014 2:34 PM
Review by vlh1949: User Rating:

I am going into my 4th month. The first 3 months I was only on .6 injection and had a monster sinus infection, huge doses of antibiotics and prednisone during the first 2 months...not Victoza related. The prednisone reqired me to up my dose to 1.2 to keep my blood sugar levels below 100nd stable. I lost a few pounds at the beginning, but I was seriously monitoring calorie intake so not sure that it was Victoza related. Like another rater, I get nauseated if I eat greasy foods...I am learning what the triggers are for that and just don't eat them. I am also Celiac so a touchy gut is not foreign. Plain, healthy foods are much more appealing. I have lost 18.5 lbs over the last 4 months. 5 of those pounds in the last two weeks...I am happy

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 30, 2014 9:36 PM
Review by Rightguard (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Went to first endo Feb 3, 2014 wanting better control and weight loss. He gave me samples of Victoza, changed my oral Janumet to straight Metformin and reduced my Lantus from 30 u per day to 10-12. The first week I had the expected nausea and loss of appetite on .6 mg. No headaches. The second week I was directed to go to 1.2 mg. Still nausea, but towards the end of the second week seemed to wane away. I was not as hungry and other than occasional nausea felt fine. The blood sugars began to lower for a time, then leveled off for a while running around 125-135. The next office visit with endo was 1 month after seeing him the first time. Weight loss was 10 lbs in the month without serious exercise. 90 day average blood glucose is 116.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 27, 2014 9:40 PM
Review by redbutterfly44: User Rating:

I am a type 2 diabetic who takes 2000 mg of metformin. I did good for awhile and then no matter how much I excercised or watched carbs, my blood sugars were running in the 200s. I was resistant to start any other kind of meds and the doctor said I had 3 months to get everything under control or he was going to prescribe some other medicine for me. The diabetic educator talked me into starting Victoza. She promised me that it would be less painful than pricking my finger. I didn't believe her but she was right. I started on Victoza yesterday and did a lot of reading of online reviews before I gave myself that first injection. I did it around 6:00 pm because I heard that you could get nausea during the day and I wanted to make sure I was not nauseous.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 25, 2014 12:57 PM
Review by Hourglass2: User Rating:

I love Victoza! In just 8 weeks my A1c has gone from 8.2 to 6.4. I can't wait to see what it is after the full 90 days. For the most part the side effects pretty much sibsided after the first month. As long as I eat properly I feel really good. If I eat something I shouldn't, especially something fatty, it makes me nauseous. Processed foods do not taste good at all. I find myself actually craving healthier foods like plain chicken and vegetables and steering clear of things with sauces or heavily flavoured foods. I am seldom hungry and now eat approximately half what I used to eat. Blood sugar levels have improved and in ten weeks I have lost 30 pounds.

February 26, 2014 3:16 PM
Review by Mitchum: User Rating:

Have to continue this after getting prior authorization. Insurance let me have Victoza for 4 times more the previous copay but Novo disk had that discount card on the website I requested and now my prescription is only $25. Basically the medicine stops my carbohydrate addiction and puts me back in control of what I eat and how my body burns fuel. This is worth it.

February 24, 2014 11:38 PM
Review by Lucky393 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have been using Victoza for 5 weeks. Weight loss has been good but my sugar levels are dropping, but not as fast as have read about anyone else having the same results.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 18, 2014 7:27 PM
Review by lachula39: User Rating:

I have diabetes type 2. I started using Victoza for 3 weeks now. I have lost 10 lb and I feel so energetic through the day. I love it . I just hope I keep losing weight because I have another 20lb to go and my sugar levels have been normal.

February 13, 2014 12:41 PM
Review by Christianjen123: User Rating:

I started with Bydureon at first for about a month and started having lumps at the injection sites, so the Dr switched me to Victoza. For the first 2 weeks I had a lot of nausea but after that it leveled out and I started feeling great. So after 3 months I have lost 52 pounds! My appetite has decreased and for the first time I can eat a small portion and feel full. NO more cravings immediately after I finish eating. I love this medication. My blood sugar levels have been between 89-94.

February 12, 2014 6:22 AM
Review by essweeks (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I started victoza just under a month ago and my blood sugars levels were high. My a1c was 7. 5. I experienced a mild nausea in the beginning but it has gone away. My am fasting range from 94 to 108. My sugars are definitely under control! I have lost 17 pounds and feel great. My eating habits have changed. All I seem to want is fresh fruits and vegetable and very little meats. Plus I am full after a few bites! It has been a blessing for me!

February 7, 2014 10:09 AM
Review by shaeshae (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I've been on 0.6 for almost a week now. I have been nauseated everyday but the last 2 days it's been horrible. Not nausea but feel like I have the full blown flu! Horrible Stomach cramps, stomach pain, back pain and horrible waves of nausea. As far as my blood sugars go they seem to be responding to the medicine pretty well. A few months ago my HbA1c was at 6.2 after having the Depo shot for endometriosis and 2 surgeries in 4 months my HbA1c shot up to 10.4. I ended up hospitalized after my last surgery for high blood sugars and a surgical site infection. I'm calling my Doctor tomorrow to see what she wants me to do.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 23, 2014 11:53 PM
Review by jaytay: User Rating:

I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes and obesity. I've been on Victoza for 5 weeks. Went to full dose of 1.8 after 1 week. The first two days after starting the initial dose I felt bloated and sick to my stomach but that went away quickly. I feel full all the time and have to remind myself to take in some nutrition. I can drink fluids easily. I have lost 13 pounds. The weather has been horrible and I have had little exercise at all other than minor snow shoveling. I can't wait to start walking outside and get this weight loss thing moving even more!

January 11, 2014 11:58 AM
Review by Hourglass2 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have been on Victoza for 4 weeks now. I started at 0.6 for a week then went up to 1.2 on the eighth day. Side effects the first couple weeks included nausea, sore back, headache, sour stomach, etc. though none of them were unbearable and the results have been worth it. I have lost nearly 20 pounds and my blood sugar readings have dropped dramatically. I am often into the normal range before meals now. Food cravings are all gone and I am eating 3 small meals a day. A handful of raw almonds is all I can handle as a snack.

January 8, 2014 10:58 AM
Review by WEEZER1957: User Rating:

Was put on Victoza 5 weeks ago for a high AIC of 7.8 even on metformin 500mg 3 times a day. At first I had a few side effects like pressure in the head and not having bowel movement for 4 days. Some nausea but not much. I went to 1.2 mg the 2nd week and I have lost 14 pounds. And my sugar is down each morning from 200 to 120 most morning. I feel very full so I eat small meals, or I get heartburn from hell. I only take the 500mg metformin each morning and the Victoza at 1:00pm each day. I hope it stays this good for me, I didn't realize just how bad I felt with high sugar until it isn't anymore.

January 5, 2014 6:24 PM
Review by PyroNthaBox: User Rating:

I have been on Victoza for quite a long while now. I was between 278 and 287 pounds when I started and my blood sugar was not good. I have been taking the Victoza well over a year now and am down to 215 pounds, quite amazing really as the medicine makes you not want to eat and you feel full with only a little food. However, the nausea is the worst and getting accustomed to the medicine is the hardest part. Yes, you should not take Victoza on an empty stomach. I had started taking it in the early mornings. But sometimes even though I ate a little something, once the nausea started then up came everything I had ever eaten in my life. It happens really fast! Just don't give up the fight, the good is better than the bad!

December 30, 2013 3:51 PM
Review by pattigurl (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I started this on Thursday December 12th on 0.6. I am supposed to see how it goes for a week and than increase the dosage to 1.2. The doctor warned me of suppressed appetite and stomach pain/cramps. I feel both but the stomach pain is odd. It's more like I feel like my stomach has been filled with something and is trying to burst out. It is temporary discomfort though. I am set to increase the dosage on 12/19. I am also on Glumetza two 1000mg tablets a day and 1 Glimeride a day. Just from the first day of taking it my numbers went from nearly 400 to 182. I am hoping it gets lower as I'm totally cutting out carbs. I do take cinnamon pills and drink a shot of Nopal juice in addition.

December 15, 2013 9:09 AM
Review by lisainmichigan (taken for less than 1 month):

I began taking Victoza on December 6th 2013. Later that day I started experiencing some stomach cramping. Saturday, DAY 2 I was experiencing weakness, terrible headache, nausea and sulfur burps. All of these symptoms occurred on the starter dose. Day 3, Sunday, was a little better as far as side effects. Still suffer from the terrible headache and sulfur burps. Was unable to move bowels for those first three days. Day 4 Monday I woke to terrible stomach cramps. I was able to move bowels. Started dry heaving turning into throwing up bile and almost passing out. terrible sweating and racing heartbeat. after all that I did feel better. Contacted Dr he advised trying half the dose and prescribed Zofran. I currently take Victoza at 1 p.m.

December 9, 2013 11:10 AM
Review by Sneakers57 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Had a rough start but have adjusted well. Very little appetite & way less snacking. Absolutely cannot have anything carbonated or I am tossing toenails. I do miss my Diet Coke but it's a small price. Down 8 pounds too!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 24, 2013 5:16 PM
Review by Sheba13: User Rating:

Started Victoza about one and half years ago. Had no issues until I increased to 1.8 mg. Horrible stomach pains and gas. Achy legs, headaches etc. As of today doctor has taken me off of it. Never lost any weight , but also didn't gain any.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 21, 2013 3:22 PM
Review by Juggernaut59 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I started Victoza about 5 weeks ago. Now I have seen about 20 lbs come off and moved the belt notch from the middle notch to the last position (and will need a new belt soon). Nausea has only happened about 3-4 times and was mild to moderate. Blood glucose level has settled from 170 to 130 over the last 2 weeks. Eating behaviors have changed dramatically. Most meals are 4-5 bites and I push the plate away being fully satisfied. It has been quite a shock learning how to eat more wisely and that I can "push the plate away" instead of feeling compelled to finish everything on the plate (Yes, I raised 4 kids). I am hoping to lose about another 35-40 lbs.

November 14, 2013 11:46 AM
Review by ArtVandelay3454 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I was put on Victoza as a stand alone med by my endo for type 2 diabetes and weight loss. I am about 200 pounds overweight and she felt like this would finally help me get started with the weight loss. Third week I had lost 8 pounds and sugars were great but got sick as a dog after eating certain foods. We are talking projectile vomiting and serious cramping that almost sent me to the ER several times. I think the idea behind this medicine is a good one, but for some people, like me, the delayed gastric emptying is going to cause to many problems to reap the long term benefits. What a bummer.

November 7, 2013 1:29 AM
Review by Fitgenie (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

My A1c started creeping up to 7.8 from 6.6 a year ago. My blood sugars were not dropping below 200 in the mornings. I must admit that I was not watching my carbs very well. I went to my endo and she said that I needed to lose weight and watch my carbs. She also said that from the minute I got diabetes, my pancreas began to die. Shocking. She put me on Vicotoza and gave me same sample pens. I started on .6mg for the first week. I had horrible stomach aches, especially at night. I felt bloated as if I had eaten a big meal. I didn't know that it would cause this discomfort; would have been nice if she would have told me. I took antiacids but it didn't help.I increased to 1.2 the second week with symptoms, back to .6. Will see what happens.

November 1, 2013 9:39 AM