User Reviews for Victoza

Learn more about Victoza.

Victoza Review Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 110 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Victoza to treat Diabetes, Type 2

"I have been taking the victoza for about 3 months and now all of a sudden I feel like if I eat anything even a piece of toast my stomach will explode. I do not like the over full feeling and have to vomit to get any relief. I will be stopping this medication and contacting my Dr."

Aunt T (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2015

"I have taken Victoza for two days. I have had no appetite change. In fact, I felt really hungry both days. I have had no nausea. Does anyone else remember feeling like this?"

Susie 17 August 19, 2015

"Took metformin and victoza for about 2 years I lost a lot of weight with it and sugar levels were low. But I only have one kidney. I now have chronic kidney disease because of these medications. I also have a bundle problem with my heart from using victoza. I was dehydrated all the time with victoza no matter how much water I drank"

Anonymous August 14, 2015

"I have been on Victoza now for month. I'm 57 and previously always have had high blood sugar. Nothing seemed to work. Until my PCP started me on Victoza . First 2 weeks was good , Nausea the second 2 weeks , then went away . I have lost 20lbs and feel so much better . Blood sugars have been low 150s . This medicine saved my life . Be sure to ask your PCP for some Zofran , you will need it the second and third week for neausa . Don't give up . Thank you Victoza . A Disabled Veteran "

Bob 872 August 9, 2015

"I've been on Victoza for 3 weeks. I started at 0.6 and increased every 7 days. I've lost 17 lbs thus far. Not eating much. I was nauseous in the beginning but it wears off. I can't eat more then 1 cup of food without feeling miserably full. No desire to over eat at all. So far so good. Hoping I don't plateau. I am still making good food choices and exercise regularly. Sugars were maintained on metformin b4 starting so I'm hoping to go off metformin by October. Praying I don't get pancreatitis, gallbladder problems or worse."

Mozone44 July 29, 2015

"I have been on Victoza for 10 days at 0.6 and the side effects have been minimal - just a bit of abdominal disturbance late morning and a feeling of tiredness in the afternoon. I have been injecting before breakfast but am thinking of moving that to last thing at night to see if it makes a difference. Blood sugar readings first thing in the morning are definitely lower. Did feel a loss of appetite in the first few days and ended up missing out lunch, but found I was then eating a lot for supper, so have tried to stick to three meals at day and just keep the portion sizes small. Will no doubt be moved up to a higher dose after the first month but hope this does not cause any additional side effects. Also take 2500Mg Metformin daily."

HairyBollocks July 26, 2015

"Didn't do bad on .06 the first week but still had a strong urge to eat. Had diarrhea and headaches. Then I started 1.2 two days ago and today I was so nauseated I prayed to vomit. Then I started vomiting and it won't stop. I take medication other than victoza every night at bedtime including metformin and a few minutes ago I threw up most of my pills from last night still intact but swollen. The food from 4 days ago smelled like roadkill. I fear how long it will be before someone dies of an overdose from old medication in their stomach not digesting in time for future doses. It's been more than 20 hours since I ingested anything but water and a vanilla breakfast shake. I will not be taking my regular meds tonight. Victoza is out!!!!!!"

Tadira70000 July 23, 2015

"I started Victoza 8 months ago & have lost 83 pounds. I am woman 57 years old, 5'6" & weighed 290. I have been obese since early childhood. I have dieted all of my life. This is the first time I have been successful at weight loss. Yes there are side effects, but with the weight falling off of me this fast, I don't care. I woke up this morning weighing 216 so I don't care if I feel nauseas. I haven't weight 216 in 35 years. When I feel nauseas now is first thing in the morning before my shot. I do start feeling a bit hungry in the evenings when the shot starts wearing off, so I try to inject 12 hours prior to bed time. The reason I'm succeeding is because I decided to change my eating habits, log my food, walk & drink water."

GA Peach (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 15, 2015

"A couple of years ago, I was introduced to Victoza and had a horrible experience with it and stopped taking it. During this time, my doctor instructed me to take it with my Metformin thinking it would help me lose weight. A couple of years later, l found that the Metformin was causing me complications. I changed doctors and my new doctor recommended Victoza again. This time without using Metformin or any other diabetes medication. Reluctantly, I tried it and to my surprise, I have had great results. I no longer have cravings for sweets and my appetite has changed drastically. I have zero side effects. In 3 weeks, I have lost nearly 15 pounds. In September 2015, I will have my a1c checked again and praying for better A1c."

JW-Love July 4, 2015

"I was on victoza for 3 months and got really sick. Dr took blood and my lipase and amylase numbers were off the chart. He told me I had pancreatitis. I will never take this drug again. I have never been that sick ever."

trout fisherman (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2015

"Was on Janumet for 8 years, kidney function had gone down and wanted a change. 7.2 A1c on most recent test before starting Victoza. Started .6 and am now at 1.8. Blood sugars are running twice as high from my Janumet, Was between 90-200 before. Now 170-300. Have lost 7 lbs in the 6 weeks and no negative side effects. Really disappointed in my blood sugar readings and will be looking for a change soon if results don't improve very soon."

Pubster197 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2015

"Started Victoza 1 month ago. I have mild Diabetes due to Metabolic syndrome. FBS off meds is 117-130. Have been on Metformin Januvia Invokanna without weight loss. Had a lap band since 2006 but not very tight. Had prostate biopsy last week {benign}. In 1 month I have lost 6 lbs. After Victoza injection, it is very difficult to eat even small portions almost like the band being temporarily tightened. Another weird reaction was that the prostate after biopsy is slightly swollen for a few days. After Victoza injection, it felt like there was more swelling in the prostate region for a few hours. Have not had any unwanted nausea during the month. Have just renewed my prescription"

shots95 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2015

"I started Metformin 500 mg. 2 weeks ago and started .6 of Victoza 9 days later. My doctor gave me enough meds (Victoza) for 4 months! I've dropped 12lbs but I feel horrible. Fatigue, nauseated and can't even stand the smell of food. My fasting numbers were 270's and now they're low 140's and 130's. I hope the horrible side effects resolve so these numbers will stabilize and I can drop at least 30 more pounds!"

Ms. Ronnie (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2015

"I started Victoza approximately 6 weeks ago. No real side effects. At first, I couldn't eat at all. No appetite whatsoever. I dropped about 5 pounds in the first 5-8 days, but then the weight came back. I wasn't eating much and still am not but my body seems to have gone in to starvation mode and is holding on to every pound. I also have felt very down and depressed. Don't know if it is from the Victoza or not. I also taken Invokana."

School Teacer (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2015

"I will let the results speak for themselves. A1C from 7.2 to 5.9. Weight loss of 53 pounds without dieting. Some of the weight came back so I will need to exercise more or eat less,"

Great A1C and lost weight at the same time (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 1, 2015

"I've been in victoza for 18 days started with 1.8 since day 1, I was a little weak and constipated for the first 3 days but after that I started to feel good again, so now I only eat 3 little meals a day and I've lost 6 pounds so far from 202 to 196."

Novdemef6 (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2015

"I took victoza for well over a year, and it improved my blood sugar readings tremendously. My A1C had been as high as 9, and it got down to 6.9 with victoza. However, I was sick SO MUCH! Constant diarrhea, burping (the nasty, boiled egg kind), and extreme nausea and vomiting. I finally started tracking my sick days, and in one month I was sick 4 days. And by sick, I mean throwing up every few minutes, all day long. I had several tests done, and the only thing discovered was that I digest food slower than normal, which is what victoza is designed to do, I decided it was probably the victoza making me so sick. I stopped taking it completely, and have not been sick for over month. Blood sugars are not good now, so waiting to see my Dr."

MO-GIRL April 22, 2015

"Recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and started out with metformin. Metformin did nothing to control my blood sugar. Was put on Victoza and within 3 days blood sugars were normal but have terrible indigestion with horrible rotten egg smell. Got to talk to my doc about that. But I have lost 30 pounds in 2 months while on Victoza. No nausea. But I don't have an appetite which has caused me to eat way less food. Im taking the 1.6 mg dose. Overall satisfied with the medicine but I have read reports of a lot of people getting cancer in their pancreas and thyroids."

Trifitek (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2015

"48 years old, diagnosed Type 2 about 4 years ago. In the past year or so I have not been able to control my blood glucose. My A1C at last test was 11.4. I started insulin (Levemir) in Dec. with no effect. Started Victoza 4 days ago at .6mg. I have seen a drop in my BG (from 300's to 250's). The nausea is almost too much to deal with, but I can say that I have absolutely no appetite. I upped my dose to 1.2mg this weekend and we'll see what happens. The Doc said the nausea would go away. I hope she's right. I can't live like this, but I can't live with the BG being so high either. Keeping my fingers crossed that this works, 'cause the doc said the next step could be a pump. My friend was taking it and he ended up with pancreatitis and can't take it anymore"

hiwaygal (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2015

"I have been on Victoza less than a week and at first my sugar went down from 160s to 109. Then it started increasing, back up to 160s. At the same time I started getting severe abdominal and back pain (maybe pancreatitis). I also have severe nausea and just the thought of eating makes my stomach sick. I'm not giving up but have to make a trip back to the doctor."

keboydjr (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2015

"I started this medication one week ago. I was apprehensive to start but I did. I 41 year old female with Type II diabetes. I was diagnosed 7 years ago. I have always had fairly good control but my fasting levels are always difficult to manage. The first night, I was very nauseous! I could not even smell food and I ate sprite and apple sauce for dinner. The next day, I noticed a decrease in appetite but no nausea. I did wake up with headaches for the first 3 days. My numbers have greatly improved! Even my fasting numbers, which were my toughest to control are now under 105; this was never possible before. I have lost 1-2 pounds so far. I do not feel hungryand I fill up faster. I do not have the cravings that I had and can turn away dessert"

Cf1015 (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2015

"I started Victoza later in 2013. I am on Medicare, since I am a Senior Citizen and in Nov. of 2014 I was told I would have to pay $249 a month for it until January. Not wanting to pay that much, I just quit using it for the last two months of 2014. Initially, I had no side effects to the Victoza and had lost weight and the A1C went down to 6.8. But now after starting the Victoza again since January, I am having those awful burps, to the point that I nearly get sick to my stomach. Would it help if I took the shot at night instead of during the day?"

Ta2dldy March 7, 2015

"Victoza caused me to have Pancreatitis."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 25, 2015

"I'm a 45 yr old woman, diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 4 yrs ago. I was prescribed Metformin, then added glipizide, which made me gain a half a pound a day until I quit taking it 30 days & 15 lbs later. Then I was prescribed Victoza. The first 3 weeks, I was sick to my stomach, all day, every day. I had NO energy at all. I would get out of bed, get dressed & then lay back down - it was really THAT bad. BUT after around the 4th week, I started feeling normal again. My A1C went from 9.2 to 5.4 in just 5 weeks. Now, I am never above 130 -even after have a can of Pepsi. Also, I lost 30lbs in 45 days. Just amazing! Suffer through the initial sickness, don't give up on it, Victoza is a life changer! Victoza website for discount card. I pay $25/month."

T2D under control! February 15, 2015

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Food no longer taste all that great have to force myself to eat. My sugar levels are good 10 lb lost after 6 weeks (wife not happy). No side effects so far. Small meals are just great. Take home half plate from normal menu choice. Buffet no longer an option. Needles are tiny."

sea view (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2015

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next