User Reviews for Victoza

Learn more about Victoza.

Victoza Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 156 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Victoza to treat Diabetes, Type 2

"Started victoza in decemberror 2015, now in April 2016, I'm down 45 lbs. It has help control my appetite. I have some constipation. But no other symptoms. I was on Lantus but have been able to stop using it and blood sugars have remained in low 100's. I am currently on 1.2ml."

Wetse (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2016

"I've been on it for 3 months. I started with the smallest dose and went up to the highest. At the lower dose I started seeing my fasting numbers go down significantly. At the middle dose, they leveled. At the higher dose, I was sick to my stomach with anything I ate. I was a zombie for a few hours. The first two months, my A1c went down significantly. The interesting thing about the med is that I never got the diarrhea, instead, it has given me constipation. I haven't lost any weight. I'm on the middle dose now. Another interesting thing about the med is that at the middle and higher dose, I am hungry all the time. I feel like I'm eating more than before. My fasting numbers are back up. I don't think it's working for me."

martuco April 12, 2016

"I had all the symptoms on the first two doses. nausea,vomiting, diarrhea. I also take metformin. I took metformin with almond milk and a probiotic along with the victoza injection. No more chronic diarrhea . I eat small meals to keep from getting nauseated."

Simba 57 (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2016

"Was on victoza 4 years ago and lost about 48 pounds, had an A1C of 6.8-7.1. Switched insurances to one that didn't cover victoza. Had to go on insulin instead, 70/30 55 units before breakfast and dinner. So I gained back 40 pounds in about 10 months, A1C has been as high as 11.2 and as low as 8.0. Have had to deal with hypoglycemia several times. Just got new insurance this month, began Victoza last Thursday, and took my insulin that day, too. Glucose dropped from high 200s average to having a 104 and a 118 that day!! I haven't seen numbers like that in a couple of years! Friday, I skipped my insulin dose. glucoses are staying in the 100s, appetite is much less, and I am INSULIN FREE, which will help in so many ways!"

RN w Type 2 (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2016

"At first the side effects were horrible, nausea, diarrhea etc. It seemed to subside after a while. However, My doc decided to up my dose to 1.8 and during that night I had the worst stomach pain (woke me up out of a dead sleep). I decided to take the same dose the second day, and again the same stomach pain. I went back down to 1.2 the day after that I could not handle the pain I was having. I will say I have lost 49lbs sense I started a few months back, but I have to wonder why my thyroid is starting to ache all the time?"

shelbygirl68 March 24, 2016

"Rapid heart rate, persistent nausea, respitory issues, loss of voice. dry skin/throat, abominal pain, back pain, constipation & bloating or frequent gas... it has really messed me up!"

It was scary March 24, 2016

"So far not impressed. Had tummy upset for two weeks but that did ease off. I do feel full and bloated which is good but my blood sugars are higher than when I was on othe meds by mouth. I'm on Novo mix 30 insulin 60 morning dose and 60 evening dose. My readings over the last week have been from 12.8 to 24.6. Surely this isn't right. And no weight loss. Feel really disappointed. I do take Mirtazipine for depression and my G.P. has just increased my dose. Apparently this can cause increased weight and appetite. Feel like I'm fighting a losing battle at the moment."

Sweeney tod (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016

"This medication is fantastic. The only reason I gave it a score of 8 is because I can sick to my stomach. It brought my sugar reading from 285 to 144 in just one day!"

Yourscrubnurse924 March 14, 2016

"I have been using Victoza for nearly 2 years and do not know how effective it has been. However my doctor tells me that it is helping. My biggest gripe is the pen that is used to deliver the medication. It is the worst injectable tool, very hard to use, it sticks continuously making giving an injection a wrestling match!"

David91301 March 13, 2016

"I've been using victoza for 3 months now. 1.6 for few weeks then 1.8. I had one night of sickness at beginning and another recently but in general it's more like the thought of eating food that makes me feel sick. My bowel and stomach feels a lot like I need to have an evacuation but I've not had diarrhea. As for weight loss I've gone from over 17 stone to 14st 7lbs in 3 months without doing anything. My Hbc1a has dropped from over 25 to around 7.. So everything is pretty amazing. I'm lucky that it's free for me in UK but it did take a few years to get it prescribed by my diabetic specialist nurse. I don't know if there are any long term side effects but at present I believe it has changed and saved my life."

jaymo (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2016

"I've been on this medication for 2 1/2 months. I have POCS and type 2 diabetes and always struggled with my weight. I was 300, and now I'm 276. I feel the weight loss would have been even more significant had I eaten right from the get go. This medication can especially help those with POCS lose weight by slowing down your digestion and keeping you fuller longer. The last month I really put in the effort of cutting my calories and allowing the medication do it's thing without increasing my activity. This is the fastest weight loss I have ever seen even with restricting calories and daily gym visits. My a1c went from 6.6 to the 6.1, and glucose 90..it's never been that low. Great drug..little to no side effects for me."

LauraJaneD March 3, 2016

"I've been on Victoza .6 for five days now along with 1000 mg of of Metformin ER each day. My main complaint is diarrhea. I take it in the evening and once I get up in the morning I am in the bathroom 5 or 6 times. I've read so much information about Victoza and I was really hesitant to start taking it because of all the side effects. I also feel like I have a brick in my abdomen. I can only eat a little bit at a time and once I eat I hit the bathroom again. I'm trying to focus mainly on watching my carbs because that's truly my downfall. So far I've lost a pound a day. I really need this to lose weight and get off about 75 pounds. I've tried everything! I'm having a hard time leaving the house with this diarrhea. Is it going to ever end?"

Doodlemamma (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2016

"Since I have been using victoza my blood sugar has been great. My A1C went from 12.9 to 6.8. Before my doctor put me on victoza I was weighing 189 pounds. Today I my weight is 140lb so I have lost 49 pounds. I have no side effects from this drug. Very happy my doctor put me on this drug."

Shun1 February 29, 2016

"On victoza for 16 mo. Prior to Victoza, I suffered severe fatigue, high blood pressure, hypo thyroid, depression, epstein bar and other symp. Prior to endo, went to 5 different drs and they all medicated me w/out results. After Victoza, nausea and headaches for about 2 weeks, then I felt like a new human being. Energy, no depression, lost 30 pounds. Endo & I decided to slowly come off the meds. After 1.5 weeks, began to feel fatigue and began to gain weight. TERRIFIED... that I would go back to my old self again and of all the reports of pancreatitis, thyroid n pancreas cancer. If I go back on, am I taking a risk? Scared..."

Cynnic (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 5, 2016

"Iam a 70 yr. Old diabetic and have been type 2 for 15 yrs. Started victozA last week. I immediately felt better no more headaches and my morning blood glucose is under 100 for the first time in years. Iam running 3 x a week and eating low carb diet about 45 carbs per meal as directed by Dr. Iam losing weight about 2 pounds in first week. I have not noticed any negatives with victoza other than some flatus and stomach rumbling. My cravings for sugar is diminishing and I have alot of energy. I would recommend any reader to go to a dr. Who specializes in endocrinology and get a diabetic nutritionist to set up a meal plan for you. Also key is to exercise daily and stay positive. Even though you are a diabetic by taking care of your body ."

moonlight1 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2016

"have only been on victorza for a few days. I had bad nausea and migranes then it changed to no energy at all . I sleep till noon one day and I have 2 young kids and a full time job. Searching for a better answer"

kbhkbh January 28, 2016

"This does have side effects that do go away. I have lost weight 40 lbs. It took my a1c from 8 to 5.5 in 3 months."

Teenbean January 27, 2016

"4 week update: Well I'm a bit disappointed. I started Dec 28th, 2015 and was doing well until the past couple of weeks. Brutal constipation and upset stomach. Gastritis attacks. That was on 1.2 dose. Dr told me to stop it for a week and then try again at 0.6. I am going to do this as I really like the med. It lowered my blood sugars from 13 to 5.7 and I am losing weight and the appetite suppression is great. I tried to forge through the side effects but my stomach was too bad and I was missing work. I don't want to scare anyone about this review. Just give it a try. I was scared at first. Will update again when I re-start."

Nerak70 January 27, 2016

"Pancreatic rejection with non-stop vomiting, diarrhea, migraine, dizziness, and total loss of energy"

Scared Patient (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2016

"Been on Victoza for a month. Nil side affects. Weight is down 8 pds. Cravings gone. Perfect drug but still not seeing better glucose, still running in 200s. Hope the second month brings better control."

Tm70 January 19, 2016

"I know it's a bit early but thought I could always update as I continue on my Victoza journey. I started with the 0.6 dose on Dec 28, 2015. My blood sugars were continually averaging between 8.0 to 15.1. I noticed straight away my blood sugars were down in the 8's and 7's after meals and in the morning. After reading a lot of reviews on different sites I was terrified to take this. Side effects so far: mild nausea, not all the time, just here and there, a bit itchy at the injection sites, a bit bloated and mild constipation. You have to be careful not to overeat because you do feel full quick. Blood sugar in the morning 6.7, five pounds lost. will update."

Nerak70 (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2016

"I can't talk about loosing weight, but previously NO medication was able to take my morning blood sugar level down till Victoza! And here it is, I could not be happier! Since I am using Victoza my blood sugar level in the 100 level and hasn't my highest reading was 160. Yay!"

Gabbyb966 January 13, 2016

"I've been using Victoza since May 2013 and since then have reduced my weight from just under 17 stone to just under 11st (5ft 6'' Stocky build) and my blood sugar within this period is consistently between 4.5 and 7.5 mmol (used to be 15 to >20mmol!!). Where I've seen a huge difference is with my attitude to food. I don't consider myself to be or have been on a diet with Victoza but it's helped immensely with portion control. I do watch all my carbs, fats and calories now but I don't feel I really deprive myself. I hear that signal from my stomach a lot louder than I used to and I feel fuller for longer. I still graze but food I took for mundane now feels more satisfying. So glad to see the back of my insulin too!"

Barabajagal (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 13, 2016

"I am so grateful my doctor put me on Victoza. I used to have a fear of needles but this is very easy to deal with. So I started using Victoza on Dec 3rd, my sugars were still very high despite taking Metformin. The doctor also wanted to try it because I'm obese and always have been no matter what I do (I also have Hashimoto's disease which prevents me from losing weight). On Jan 7th I went back to see my doc and I had lost 10 lbs!! Despite eating whatever I felt like over Christmas. The side effects were horrible for a few weeks but I stuck with it and I'm back to normal now (except some heartburn). I'm hoping it will help me even more now that I'm eating healthier and exercising! I have more energy now as well."

ificouldfly January 12, 2016

"I got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes back in October and the doctor immediately put me on Victoza, well here we are in December and she is changing me to Byetta because the Victoza quit working.. Hoping I have better long lasting results this time."

Petra D. December 30, 2015