User Reviews for Atarax

Pain 3 reviews 935 medications

5.7
Summary of Atarax reviews 54 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Atarax

For Anxiety "It's not really helping anything"

chris93838282 May 23, 2015

For Anxiety "I experienced unremittently high anxiety for almost a year before trying this medication. Panic attacks at least every third day, sometimes more than once each day, so severe that I visited the ER at least twice a month. Xanax helped for a few days but after that just made things worse and caused withdrawal even when taken less often than prescribed, buspar did nothing at all, and Celexa barely helped. Finally a nurse gave me a sample of this medication. It was a miracle drug. After a month anxiety-free I was able to stop taking it and now feel great. Side effects were so mild compared to other medications I've tried that I did not even notice them. It works much better than Dramamine for nausea too though it does make you sleepy"

PriPre (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2015

For Anxiety "It caused severe paranoia and ultra sensitivity to all senses."

llwyatt90 (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2015

For Anxiety "I was taking 50 mg three times a day. It worked awesome for my anxiety, however after a month I started having seizures and severe muscle twitching and I had to stop it."

Lacie Love (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2015

For Anxiety "I was originally prescribed ATARAX for poision ivy. I also suffer from depression and anxiety. I take CYMBALTA daily & VALIUM as needed. I was pleasantly surprised when starting ATARAX. I noticed after my first pill having a more clear head and being more productive. I didn't connect the two until later reading up on its other benefits. Anyway, I haven't had any side effects at all on ATARAX and it has been added to my daily Meds. If I'm more than 4 hours off my CYMBALTA I will get a nasty headache & would be a withdrawal nightmare but it's the ONLY thing that has helped my depression long term & I've tried "everything" so I am thankful & Im sure to take my Meds on time! Goodluck!"

Nina Picassa (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2015

For Anxiety "I was on Cymbalta 90mg and had to stop cold turkey .. thank goodness for my Atarax. I am having severe withdrawals and I take 50mg up to 4 times a day . I also use this for my anxiety. I was addicted to Klonopin so I am thankful for this no addictive Atarax."

donewbenzo February 9, 2015

For Anxiety "Bipolar. Now on Atarax and Buspar together. Things have gotten better. No side effects except vivid dreams, if you are like me you'd rather have those than anxiety."

MauriCruz9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 25, 2014

For Anxiety "This medicine does what it's supposed to do. A 50mg capsule usually is enough to dispel panic attacks and return me to baseline. I don't take any more because I can't deal with the drowsiness during the day and I take something else for sleeping at night. No benzodiazepine-like euphoria, just simple no-frills relief."

AnxietyDude (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2014

For Anxiety "Has changed my life. I didn't know how bad my anxiety was until I got relief from Atarax!! I don't even need anywhere near the full dose to relieve my constant building thoughts of what I should be doing or may not be able to do because of my other debilitating illnesses. I am so grateful!! I no longer feel constantly wound so tight I might snap!"

waslosingit October 3, 2014

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "I have tried a lot of different medications for my anxiety, and nothing has ever worked, that is; until I was prescribed Atarax. I was going through some very, very stressful times and had to go on something. Nothing has ever helped me, not Paxil, Lexapro, Effexor, Zoloft. I know that is a lot of different ones! But this is spread out over many years of trying new ones, not one of them really worked for me, and I had lots of bad side effects from them. Atarax was one that I had never heard of, till the doctor prescribed it to me. Immediately it works. You take it, and within 30 mins it kicks in, and last for hours. You can take one or two at a time, every six hours. The only side effect is sleepiness, and I did experience this."

Nicole1881 September 10, 2014

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "I was prescribed Atarax for my anxiety and to wean off Klonopin. It worked well at first but I have found that I've built a tolerance. One 50mg pill the first day helped, the next day I need two 50mg pills and now after 2 weeks in up to 200mg and it is no longer controlling my panic or anxiety."

Monchie July 29, 2014

For Pruritus "I frequently will experience itchiness all over my body & will break out in hives and can't stop the itching despite use of topical Benadryl etc. My doctor prescribed Atarax a few years ago & while it stops the itching in its tracks, I also sleep for an insane amount of time. Generally it's about 18 solid hours of drowsiness to the point I can't even keep myself awake for longer than 20 minutes. I absolutely hate it. An entire day totally wasted. I'm prescribed 25 mg every 6 hours as needed although I have never had to take a second dose within 24 hours."

DanniBee March 27, 2014

For Anxiety "I take 50mg 3 x day. Total 150mg. I'm bipolar and take other medicines that causes drowsiness but realized within a couple weeks that this subsides with time. It is nothing like Xanax that knocks you out and Atarax takes a while to start working if you're in the start of an attack. I didn't experience any of the antihistamine effect the pill is supposed to provide. I will ask for a different medication to manage my anxiety."

elicuddles March 6, 2014

For Anxiety "My son was put on this med at age 14 after being pre diagnosed as no-polar. Then diagnosed with juvenile depression. Anxiety disorder. Trouble sleeping. Joshua had bad mood swings. He was only to take this once a day. At bedtime. It only made him so tired he won't get up in the morning. Did nothing for his anxiety or depression."

joshy99 January 18, 2014

For Allergies "I have medicine and food allergies."

Tulaya December 8, 2013

For Anxiety "I have general anxiety disorder and I'm prone to panic attacks. Being afraid of benzo and it's addictiveness, I got this prescribed. So far it has worked great if I take 2 pills at once, and the effect lasts for about 10 hours. I haven't really felt the hangover part people talk about, nor have I experienced headaches. The only thing I really have to complain about is that the breathing can get almost too relaxed at times, so when I fall asleep I wake up with a shortness of breath, as if my lungs forgot to inhale. It's no big deal though, happens maybe 3 times a night and it wakes me up. And I guess it would be nice to have a pill that takes away anxiety but doesn't make you tired (I sleep like a baby after 30 minutes after taking atarax)"

Storken October 19, 2013

For Allergies "Used this medicine during a course of pain management, it helped tremendously with the itchy feeling you get from opioid medication. It was just short term use but made a great impact!"

twofunfeet July 26, 2013

For Allergic Urticaria "I was diagnosed with Urticaria at the age of 16 (in 1985 which just came out of the blue) and took an Atarax pill every 3-4 days when I felt the itchiness coming on. It worked 100%. Later in life they suggested I try some other antihistamine (Claritin), which I did and it worked but I have to take a pill every day so I went back to Atarax as I did not suffer from drowsiness (after taking it for so many years). Fortunately in 2011 the Urticaria disappeared and I no longer need any meds for it. If ever I get itchy skin again, Atarax will be my choice."

ItchyScratchy2 January 21, 2013

For Allergies "Best antihistamine ever, excellent for anyone who suffers from viral hives."

CarrieHC (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2012

For Anxiety "It did nothing for my anxiety or my panic disorder. It did help me breathe better though. It cleared my sinuses pretty good."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2012

For Allergies "I took ATARAX when a child and started taking this medicine again approximately 2 years ago, from my Allergist. I have tried basically all modern oral prescription medicines (& those which have become over-the-counter). My Allergies induce ASTHMA! I take specifically created Allergy Antigen Shots (2 per wk/2 different vials) from Allergist which help greatly. Normally, unless I live on the coast, I'm bothered from indoor (dust, mold), outdoor (weeds, plants), & food allergies in the warm (non-frost/freezing) months. Each yr Allergies have become worse. I can take this 1 tab 1x per day or 2 pills at once if having a severe attack. I certainly recommend having an Allergist Dr, in addition to your reg Gen.Practice Dr. This Rx does NOT make me sleepy, though people say it can."

Europa (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 18, 2012

For Anxiety "I cold turkeyed off Xanax after 16 years of 1 mg a day. I had horrible withdrawal symptoms. At 4 months my MD (not the dr that suggested I go cold turkey) but the one that helped me through it, put me on Atarax, 10 - 25 mg as needed up to 100 mg a day. It really made a difference in my recovery. I take it as I need, or don't take it at all. It helps with the anxiety, nausea, shaking. I have been on it for 9 months now and really recommend people try it. "

Yatescrossing (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 17, 2012

158 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "Developed a flaky skin rash and went to see my OBGYN about it. It became a vicious circle, scratch then it would flake which made me scratch even more, etc. He took several samples and said it was not a rash but dermatitis caused by anxiety. So he prescribed Atarax and told me to take half a pill each day for a month. I didn't even realize I was suffering from anxiety until he mentioned it. So, I have been taking it when I feel anxious (about halfway through my menstrual cycle) and it has helped. No side effects so far and I feel better like taking the edge off and calming me down. "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2012

For Anxiety "Although this medicine does work as described its response time to panic outbreak is not fast. It takes about 45 minutes for the feeling of dread or mania to subside. To go further the feeling is still there but it blocks the mind from reacting irrationally to the racing thoughts. I gave this medicine an 8 not a 10 because of the reaction time. So far all medications in this class have made me tired. I like this one because I have had no side effects or cross interactions with other medications."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2012

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "Didn't help, just made me tired."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2012