User Reviews for Atarax

5.7
Summary of Atarax reviews 42 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Atarax

Review by elicuddles:

For Anxiety: I take 50mg 3 x day. Total 150mg. I'm bipolar and take other medicines that causes drowsiness but realized within a couple weeks that this subsides with time. It is nothing like Xanax that knocks you out and Atarax takes a while to start working if you're in the start of an attack. I didn't experience any of the antihistamine effect the pill is supposed to provide. I will ask for a different medication to manage my anxiety.

March 6, 2014 3:07 AM

Review by joshy99:

For Anxiety: My son was put on this med at age 14 after being pre diagnosed as no-polar. Then diagnosed with juvenile depression. Anxiety disorder. Trouble sleeping. Joshua had bad mood swings. He was only to take this once a day. At bedtime. It only made him so tired he won't get up in the morning. Did nothing for his anxiety or depression.

January 18, 2014 10:06 PM

Review by Tulaya:

For Allergies: I have medicine and food allergies.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2013 12:12 AM

Review by Storken:

For Anxiety: I have general anxiety disorder and I'm prone to panic attacks. Being afraid of benzo and it's addictiveness, I got this prescribed. So far it has worked great if I take 2 pills at once, and the effect lasts for about 10 hours. I haven't really felt the hangover part people talk about, nor have I experienced headaches. The only thing I really have to complain about is that the breathing can get almost too relaxed at times, so when I fall asleep I wake up with a shortness of breath, as if my lungs forgot to inhale. It's no big deal though, happens maybe 3 times a night and it wakes me up. And I guess it would be nice to have a pill that takes away anxiety but doesn't make you tired (I sleep like a baby after 30 minutes after taking atarax)

October 19, 2013 11:04 AM

Review by twofunfeet:

For Allergies: Used this medicine during a course of pain management, it helped tremendously with the itchy feeling you get from opioid medication. It was just short term use but made a great impact!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2013 1:04 AM

Review by ItchyScratchy2:

For Allergic Urticaria: I was diagnosed with Urticaria at the age of 16 (in 1985 which just came out of the blue) and took an Atarax pill every 3-4 days when I felt the itchiness coming on. It worked 100%. Later in life they suggested I try some other antihistamine (Claritin), which I did and it worked but I have to take a pill every day so I went back to Atarax as I did not suffer from drowsiness (after taking it for so many years). Fortunately in 2011 the Urticaria disappeared and I no longer need any meds for it. If ever I get itchy skin again, Atarax will be my choice.

January 21, 2013 9:43 AM

Review by CarrieHC (taken for less than 1 month):

For Allergies: Best antihistamine ever, excellent for anyone who suffers from viral hives.

December 31, 2012 6:02 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: It did nothing for my anxiety or my panic disorder. It did help me breathe better though. It cleared my sinuses pretty good.

November 9, 2012 1:20 AM

Review by Europa (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Allergies: I took ATARAX when a child and started taking this medicine again approximately 2 years ago, from my Allergist. I have tried basically all modern oral prescription medicines (& those which have become over-the-counter). My Allergies induce ASTHMA! I take specifically created Allergy Antigen Shots (2 per wk/2 different vials) from Allergist which help greatly. Normally, unless I live on the coast, I'm bothered from indoor (dust, mold), outdoor (weeds, plants), & food allergies in the warm (non-frost/freezing) months. Each yr Allergies have become worse. I can take this 1 tab 1x per day or 2 pills at once if having a severe attack. I certainly recommend having an Allergist Dr, in addition to your reg Gen.Practice Dr. This Rx does NOT make me sleepy, though people say it can.

October 18, 2012 1:24 PM

Review by Yatescrossing (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: I cold turkeyed off Xanax after 16 years of 1 mg a day. I had horrible withdrawal symptoms. At 4 months my MD (not the dr that suggested I go cold turkey) but the one that helped me through it, put me on Atarax, 10 - 25 mg as needed up to 100 mg a day. It really made a difference in my recovery. I take it as I need, or don't take it at all. It helps with the anxiety, nausea, shaking. I have been on it for 9 months now and really recommend people try it.

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 17, 2012 1:59 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: Developed a flaky skin rash and went to see my OBGYN about it. It became a vicious circle, scratch then it would flake which made me scratch even more, etc. He took several samples and said it was not a rash but dermatitis caused by anxiety. So he prescribed Atarax and told me to take half a pill each day for a month. I didn't even realize I was suffering from anxiety until he mentioned it. So, I have been taking it when I feel anxious (about halfway through my menstrual cycle) and it has helped. No side effects so far and I feel better like taking the edge off and calming me down.

September 19, 2012 11:59 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: Although this medicine does work as described its response time to panic outbreak is not fast. It takes about 45 minutes for the feeling of dread or mania to subside. To go further the feeling is still there but it blocks the mind from reacting irrationally to the racing thoughts. I gave this medicine an 8 not a 10 because of the reaction time. So far all medications in this class have made me tired. I like this one because I have had no side effects or cross interactions with other medications.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 19, 2012 10:43 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: Didn't help, just made me tired.

July 20, 2012 1:01 PM

For Anxiety: I started taking this medication to fight anxiety, especially before going to bed when the mind is racing. It definitely helps, but I am completely lethargic the next day, and I only took half a pill. However, I've also only taken it occasionally for one day here and there, not on a regular basis, so my body may not have time to adjust like others mention on here.

April 13, 2012 11:24 AM

For Allergies: Makes me VERY drowsy.

March 16, 2012 5:02 PM

For Anxiety: Went to see the doctor 3 months ago. I wasn't sure what was wrong with me. First visit I told the doc my symptoms.(fatigue, tense muscles, shortness of breath, light headed) The doctor said it might be allergies. He gave me hydroxyzine 25MG. I started with with one dose every 4 hours. They seem to help me breath easier and relax me.

March 4, 2012 11:26 PM

For Anxiety: Helps Ease Tightening Of The Chest And Slows Breathing During Panic Attacks. Chewing Tabs Works Best For Me.

January 25, 2012 3:21 AM

For Anxiety: I was given Atarax for acute stress reaction and anxiety. The Dr put me on 1-2 tablets at night at 25mg each, it zonks me and gives me a horrible headache and if taken with my pain medicines I can't even lift my head. It's an alright medication but after doing research and finding it's only a short term medicine I think I need to find something else that works just as good and is safer for a longer term use.

January 9, 2012 7:32 PM

For Allergies: Best ever for stopping itch of eczema. Got to get used to the sleepiness, but gets better after long term use.

December 8, 2011 12:08 PM

For Pain: Good - in combination with gabapentin and hydrocodone for neuropathic pain.

November 16, 2011 8:20 PM

Review by Jratt:

For Interstitial Cystitis: Atarax was very effective in treating interstitial cystitis. I could not take the generic form. I was told when I went to get a refill that it had been taken off the market. Nothing has helped me as much as Atarax.

October 19, 2011 8:23 PM

For Anxiety: I had been taking Xanax and Lexapro for generalized anxiety disorder. The Xanax, at 0.25 mg, made me a zombie. Atarax at 50 mg 3 times a day works very well for me and I am able to function at work as well. The sedative effects wore off after a few days.

August 22, 2011 1:48 AM

Review by alpha459:

For Pruritus: This is the absolute best I've ever taken for an undiagnosed itchy rash on my skin which I have had for several years.

July 29, 2011 3:18 PM

Review by the_chemist:

For Allergies: Works great against allergy (25mg) and also somewhat against asthma (due to the anticholinergic properties: dilates the airways). When taking Atarax I can reduce the amount of asthma reliever medication (terbutaline). Side effects: Drowsiness (in the beginning), headache (disappeared after the third pill), muscle twitches and some muscle aches.

June 23, 2011 11:39 AM

Review by ok42day:

For Anxiety: The problem was sleep deprivation and my physician suggested Atarax and explained that sleeping is when the body restores itself making it vitally important to get a good night of sleep. I take one pill in the evening and sleep soundly and for now this is the right solution.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 6, 2010 11:03 PM