User Reviews for Atarax

Learn more about Atarax.

Atarax review summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Atarax to treat Anxiety

Review by MauriCruz9 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Bipolar. Now on Atarax and Buspar together. Things have gotten better. No side effects except vivid dreams, if you are like me you'd rather have those than anxiety.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2014 3:01 PM

Review by AnxietyDude (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medicine does what it's supposed to do. A 50mg capsule usually is enough to dispel panic attacks and return me to baseline. I don't take any more because I can't deal with the drowsiness during the day and I take something else for sleeping at night. No benzodiazepine-like euphoria, just simple no-frills relief.

October 16, 2014 9:54 PM

Review by waslosingit:

Has changed my life. I didn't know how bad my anxiety was until I got relief from Atarax!! I don't even need anywhere near the full dose to relieve my constant building thoughts of what I should be doing or may not be able to do because of my other debilitating illnesses. I am so grateful!! I no longer feel constantly wound so tight I might snap!

October 3, 2014 10:40 AM

Review by Nicole1881:

I have tried a lot of different medications for my anxiety, and nothing has ever worked, that is; until I was prescribed Atarax. I was going through some very, very stressful times and had to go on something. Nothing has ever helped me, not Paxil, Lexapro, Effexor, Zoloft. I know that is a lot of different ones! But this is spread out over many years of trying new ones, not one of them really worked for me, and I had lots of bad side effects from them. Atarax was one that I had never heard of, till the doctor prescribed it to me. Immediately it works. You take it, and within 30 mins it kicks in, and last for hours. You can take one or two at a time, every six hours. The only side effect is sleepiness, and I did experience this.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2014 5:14 PM

Review by Monchie:

I was prescribed Atarax for my anxiety and to wean off Klonopin. It worked well at first but I have found that I've built a tolerance. One 50mg pill the first day helped, the next day I need two 50mg pills and now after 2 weeks in up to 200mg and it is no longer controlling my panic or anxiety.

July 29, 2014 4:48 PM

Review by elicuddles:

I take 50mg 3 x day. Total 150mg. I'm bipolar and take other medicines that causes drowsiness but realized within a couple weeks that this subsides with time. It is nothing like Xanax that knocks you out and Atarax takes a while to start working if you're in the start of an attack. I didn't experience any of the antihistamine effect the pill is supposed to provide. I will ask for a different medication to manage my anxiety.

March 6, 2014 3:07 AM

Review by joshy99:

My son was put on this med at age 14 after being pre diagnosed as no-polar. Then diagnosed with juvenile depression. Anxiety disorder. Trouble sleeping. Joshua had bad mood swings. He was only to take this once a day. At bedtime. It only made him so tired he won't get up in the morning. Did nothing for his anxiety or depression.

January 18, 2014 10:06 PM

Review by Storken:

I have general anxiety disorder and I'm prone to panic attacks. Being afraid of benzo and it's addictiveness, I got this prescribed. So far it has worked great if I take 2 pills at once, and the effect lasts for about 10 hours. I haven't really felt the hangover part people talk about, nor have I experienced headaches. The only thing I really have to complain about is that the breathing can get almost too relaxed at times, so when I fall asleep I wake up with a shortness of breath, as if my lungs forgot to inhale. It's no big deal though, happens maybe 3 times a night and it wakes me up. And I guess it would be nice to have a pill that takes away anxiety but doesn't make you tired (I sleep like a baby after 30 minutes after taking atarax)

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2013 11:04 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

It did nothing for my anxiety or my panic disorder. It did help me breathe better though. It cleared my sinuses pretty good.

November 9, 2012 1:20 AM

Review by Yatescrossing (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I cold turkeyed off Xanax after 16 years of 1 mg a day. I had horrible withdrawal symptoms. At 4 months my MD (not the dr that suggested I go cold turkey) but the one that helped me through it, put me on Atarax, 10 - 25 mg as needed up to 100 mg a day. It really made a difference in my recovery. I take it as I need, or don't take it at all. It helps with the anxiety, nausea, shaking. I have been on it for 9 months now and really recommend people try it.

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 17, 2012 1:59 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Developed a flaky skin rash and went to see my OBGYN about it. It became a vicious circle, scratch then it would flake which made me scratch even more, etc. He took several samples and said it was not a rash but dermatitis caused by anxiety. So he prescribed Atarax and told me to take half a pill each day for a month. I didn't even realize I was suffering from anxiety until he mentioned it. So, I have been taking it when I feel anxious (about halfway through my menstrual cycle) and it has helped. No side effects so far and I feel better like taking the edge off and calming me down.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 19, 2012 11:59 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Although this medicine does work as described its response time to panic outbreak is not fast. It takes about 45 minutes for the feeling of dread or mania to subside. To go further the feeling is still there but it blocks the mind from reacting irrationally to the racing thoughts. I gave this medicine an 8 not a 10 because of the reaction time. So far all medications in this class have made me tired. I like this one because I have had no side effects or cross interactions with other medications.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 19, 2012 10:43 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Didn't help, just made me tired.

July 20, 2012 1:01 PM

I started taking this medication to fight anxiety, especially before going to bed when the mind is racing. It definitely helps, but I am completely lethargic the next day, and I only took half a pill. However, I've also only taken it occasionally for one day here and there, not on a regular basis, so my body may not have time to adjust like others mention on here.

April 13, 2012 11:24 AM

Went to see the doctor 3 months ago. I wasn't sure what was wrong with me. First visit I told the doc my symptoms.(fatigue, tense muscles, shortness of breath, light headed) The doctor said it might be allergies. He gave me hydroxyzine 25MG. I started with with one dose every 4 hours. They seem to help me breath easier and relax me.

March 4, 2012 11:26 PM

Helps Ease Tightening Of The Chest And Slows Breathing During Panic Attacks. Chewing Tabs Works Best For Me.

January 25, 2012 3:21 AM

I was given Atarax for acute stress reaction and anxiety. The Dr put me on 1-2 tablets at night at 25mg each, it zonks me and gives me a horrible headache and if taken with my pain medicines I can't even lift my head. It's an alright medication but after doing research and finding it's only a short term medicine I think I need to find something else that works just as good and is safer for a longer term use.

January 9, 2012 7:32 PM

I had been taking Xanax and Lexapro for generalized anxiety disorder. The Xanax, at 0.25 mg, made me a zombie. Atarax at 50 mg 3 times a day works very well for me and I am able to function at work as well. The sedative effects wore off after a few days.

August 22, 2011 1:48 AM

Review by ok42day:

The problem was sleep deprivation and my physician suggested Atarax and explained that sleeping is when the body restores itself making it vitally important to get a good night of sleep. I take one pill in the evening and sleep soundly and for now this is the right solution.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 6, 2010 11:03 PM

Review by Tr3y6:

I have severe anxiety and panic disorder. I was prescribed 25 mg of Atarax (hydroxyzine) and it does not seem to help what so ever with my panic attacks or my anxiety level.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 14, 2010 9:33 AM

I can't tolerate Xanax and this works very well for me.

September 23, 2010 8:40 PM

Review by lookng4agooddrg:

I just started taking hydroxyzine. It kind of helps take the anxiety away but makes me feeling like I have no energy. Maybe my body needs to adjust to it.

June 25, 2010 7:03 PM

Review by debs12:

I was prescribed Atarax for one specific reason. I am having an MRI done and am extremely claustrophobic. I was prescribed 50mg pills. I was given 4 pills. I am to take 1 pill first to see how it effects me and then I can decide if I need another one. I took one for the first time last night and I became very sleepy. I am also on Tylenol 3 for pain. My eyes could barely stay up. However, once I closed my eyes, I was up every hour on the hour. Not sure if that is because of the anticipation of my MRI or what. I was very relaxed however, but do not suffer the anxiety attacks as bad as I did years ago and my heart goes out to those who do. I will take the two pills at MRI and give my review again then.

April 7, 2010 11:32 AM

I have been taking it for about three months now, I was prescribed it by an ER psych, for anxiety and insomnia. Started on 50 mg which worked, but have worked up to having to take between 100 and 150 mgs a day to get the same effect. I think it's better for short term use, because your system can quickly adapt to it and start to require more for the same effect.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 2, 2010 11:01 PM

"Atarax" was prescribed to me in a "controlled environment." I was prescribed Klonopin originally, but the 0.5mg dosage wasn't enough for my anxiety and with the medication (Suboxone) I was currently taking there is a risk of taking Benzodiazepines while on Suboxone (like, death). Anyway, Atarax was prescribed. I can't remember the dose now, I know it was more than 10mg, but it was 4-6 x daily as needed. It seemed to be working alright at first, but I think it was the controlled environment, when I left, it stopped working for my anxiety and panic attacks and has not had any useful effect since. *Didn't experience any side effects

March 8, 2010 12:17 PM