User Reviews for Atarax

Learn more about Atarax.

Atarax Review Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Atarax to treat Anxiety

"Helped me a lot, non addictive, but some times it keeps me half sleeping and half awake at night time, otherwise its a great drug for its calming effect. Thanks"

Raj15 (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2015

"Taking 25mg every 12 hours. Makes me feel like I have a hang over the next day. As far as it helping my anxiety, well, it knocks me out. So I guess I can't be anxious if I'm asleep on the couch. Will be trying something else."

Shannonwashere (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2015

"It's not really helping anything"

chris93838282 May 23, 2015

"I experienced unremittently high anxiety for almost a year before trying this medication. Panic attacks at least every third day, sometimes more than once each day, so severe that I visited the ER at least twice a month. Xanax helped for a few days but after that just made things worse and caused withdrawal even when taken less often than prescribed, buspar did nothing at all, and Celexa barely helped. Finally a nurse gave me a sample of this medication. It was a miracle drug. After a month anxiety-free I was able to stop taking it and now feel great. Side effects were so mild compared to other medications I've tried that I did not even notice them. It works much better than Dramamine for nausea too though it does make you sleepy"

PriPre (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2015

"It caused severe paranoia and ultra sensitivity to all senses."

llwyatt90 (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2015

"I was taking 50 mg three times a day. It worked awesome for my anxiety, however after a month I started having seizures and severe muscle twitching and I had to stop it."

Lacie Love (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2015

"I was originally prescribed ATARAX for poision ivy. I also suffer from depression and anxiety. I take CYMBALTA daily & VALIUM as needed. I was pleasantly surprised when starting ATARAX. I noticed after my first pill having a more clear head and being more productive. I didn't connect the two until later reading up on its other benefits. Anyway, I haven't had any side effects at all on ATARAX and it has been added to my daily Meds. If I'm more than 4 hours off my CYMBALTA I will get a nasty headache & would be a withdrawal nightmare but it's the ONLY thing that has helped my depression long term & I've tried "everything" so I am thankful & Im sure to take my Meds on time! Goodluck!"

Nina Picassa (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2015

"I was on Cymbalta 90mg and had to stop cold turkey .. thank goodness for my Atarax. I am having severe withdrawals and I take 50mg up to 4 times a day . I also use this for my anxiety. I was addicted to Klonopin so I am thankful for this no addictive Atarax."

donewbenzo February 9, 2015

"Bipolar. Now on Atarax and Buspar together. Things have gotten better. No side effects except vivid dreams, if you are like me you'd rather have those than anxiety."

MauriCruz9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 25, 2014

"This medicine does what it's supposed to do. A 50mg capsule usually is enough to dispel panic attacks and return me to baseline. I don't take any more because I can't deal with the drowsiness during the day and I take something else for sleeping at night. No benzodiazepine-like euphoria, just simple no-frills relief."

AnxietyDude (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2014

"Has changed my life. I didn't know how bad my anxiety was until I got relief from Atarax!! I don't even need anywhere near the full dose to relieve my constant building thoughts of what I should be doing or may not be able to do because of my other debilitating illnesses. I am so grateful!! I no longer feel constantly wound so tight I might snap!"

waslosingit October 3, 2014

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have tried a lot of different medications for my anxiety, and nothing has ever worked, that is; until I was prescribed Atarax. I was going through some very, very stressful times and had to go on something. Nothing has ever helped me, not Paxil, Lexapro, Effexor, Zoloft. I know that is a lot of different ones! But this is spread out over many years of trying new ones, not one of them really worked for me, and I had lots of bad side effects from them. Atarax was one that I had never heard of, till the doctor prescribed it to me. Immediately it works. You take it, and within 30 mins it kicks in, and last for hours. You can take one or two at a time, every six hours. The only side effect is sleepiness, and I did experience this."

Nicole1881 September 10, 2014

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was prescribed Atarax for my anxiety and to wean off Klonopin. It worked well at first but I have found that I've built a tolerance. One 50mg pill the first day helped, the next day I need two 50mg pills and now after 2 weeks in up to 200mg and it is no longer controlling my panic or anxiety."

Monchie July 29, 2014

"I take 50mg 3 x day. Total 150mg. I'm bipolar and take other medicines that causes drowsiness but realized within a couple weeks that this subsides with time. It is nothing like Xanax that knocks you out and Atarax takes a while to start working if you're in the start of an attack. I didn't experience any of the antihistamine effect the pill is supposed to provide. I will ask for a different medication to manage my anxiety."

elicuddles March 6, 2014

"My son was put on this med at age 14 after being pre diagnosed as no-polar. Then diagnosed with juvenile depression. Anxiety disorder. Trouble sleeping. Joshua had bad mood swings. He was only to take this once a day. At bedtime. It only made him so tired he won't get up in the morning. Did nothing for his anxiety or depression."

joshy99 January 18, 2014

"I have general anxiety disorder and I'm prone to panic attacks. Being afraid of benzo and it's addictiveness, I got this prescribed. So far it has worked great if I take 2 pills at once, and the effect lasts for about 10 hours. I haven't really felt the hangover part people talk about, nor have I experienced headaches. The only thing I really have to complain about is that the breathing can get almost too relaxed at times, so when I fall asleep I wake up with a shortness of breath, as if my lungs forgot to inhale. It's no big deal though, happens maybe 3 times a night and it wakes me up. And I guess it would be nice to have a pill that takes away anxiety but doesn't make you tired (I sleep like a baby after 30 minutes after taking atarax)"

Storken October 19, 2013

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It did nothing for my anxiety or my panic disorder. It did help me breathe better though. It cleared my sinuses pretty good."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2012

"I cold turkeyed off Xanax after 16 years of 1 mg a day. I had horrible withdrawal symptoms. At 4 months my MD (not the dr that suggested I go cold turkey) but the one that helped me through it, put me on Atarax, 10 - 25 mg as needed up to 100 mg a day. It really made a difference in my recovery. I take it as I need, or don't take it at all. It helps with the anxiety, nausea, shaking. I have been on it for 9 months now and really recommend people try it. "

Yatescrossing (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 17, 2012

166 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Developed a flaky skin rash and went to see my OBGYN about it. It became a vicious circle, scratch then it would flake which made me scratch even more, etc. He took several samples and said it was not a rash but dermatitis caused by anxiety. So he prescribed Atarax and told me to take half a pill each day for a month. I didn't even realize I was suffering from anxiety until he mentioned it. So, I have been taking it when I feel anxious (about halfway through my menstrual cycle) and it has helped. No side effects so far and I feel better like taking the edge off and calming me down. "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2012

"Although this medicine does work as described its response time to panic outbreak is not fast. It takes about 45 minutes for the feeling of dread or mania to subside. To go further the feeling is still there but it blocks the mind from reacting irrationally to the racing thoughts. I gave this medicine an 8 not a 10 because of the reaction time. So far all medications in this class have made me tired. I like this one because I have had no side effects or cross interactions with other medications."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2012

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Didn't help, just made me tired."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2012

"I started taking this medication to fight anxiety, especially before going to bed when the mind is racing. It definitely helps, but I am completely lethargic the next day, and I only took half a pill. However, I've also only taken it occasionally for one day here and there, not on a regular basis, so my body may not have time to adjust like others mention on here."

Anonymous April 13, 2012

"Went to see the doctor 3 months ago. I wasn't sure what was wrong with me. First visit I told the doc my symptoms.(fatigue, tense muscles, shortness of breath, light headed) The doctor said it might be allergies. He gave me hydroxyzine 25MG. I started with with one dose every 4 hours. They seem to help me breath easier and relax me. "

Anonymous March 4, 2012

"Helps Ease Tightening Of The Chest And Slows Breathing During Panic Attacks. Chewing Tabs Works Best For Me."

Anonymous January 25, 2012

"I was given Atarax for acute stress reaction and anxiety. The Dr put me on 1-2 tablets at night at 25mg each, it zonks me and gives me a horrible headache and if taken with my pain medicines I can't even lift my head. It's an alright medication but after doing research and finding it's only a short term medicine I think I need to find something else that works just as good and is safer for a longer term use."

Anonymous January 9, 2012