User Reviews for Atarax

Learn more about Atarax.

Atarax Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 190 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Atarax to treat Anxiety

"Really good!!!!! I like atarax. Because: not addictive, makes me calm (and sleepy), calms anger restlessness and anxiety altogether. I am also on cymbalta and without cymbalta the atarax would probably be less effective. Atarax is my go-to when im anxious and i love it:)"

Elliotndbfjf (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2016

"My GP prescribed this for anxiety and directed that I take it every 8 hours. Now I have dealt with anxiety and severe panic attacks need immediate relief. This medication was not the one to do that for me. It made me very drowsy and at the same time I still had anxiety. This is not for someone who has a busy schedule because it will sedate you. I think this medication should only be used for its initial intent to control itching. Otherwise it was a waste for me."

Lcowan7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 25, 2016

"I was prescribed Atarax for my anxiety disorder. It did not help at all & only made me so tired I couldn't function. Definitely a waste!"

Shannonbmomof3 (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2016

"Took about 10 minutes to kick in. Felt like a total zombie all night, I was completely useless. The next day I was dizzy. Boo, atarax!"

Manda2814 February 10, 2016

"I was prescribed this for my anxiety disorder, and I'm really disappointed. It did absolutely nothing for me, which for obvious reasons, is frustrating in times of extreme anxiety. Taking a "rescue medication" and help never coming was hard for me personally. Others say it works great, but I suppose it depends on the person."

Alyabnormal (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2016

"I was given this medication in the emergency room for the anxiety I was having. It did nothing for me. I'm bipolar plus I have anxiety. I'm looking for something new. I was on klonopin but was taken off of it because it's highly addictive. I had taken that for 24 years. That helped a lot. I'm disappointed that atarax didn't work."

Skinny girl February 6, 2016

"I'm on 6 different medications for anxiety/depression/personality disorder. Have been for 7 years now. Atarax being the most recently added. Love it. I'm used to very strong medications and this one helps calm me without making me feel too tired"

6pillschick6 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2016

"Did absolutely nothing for me. If I could rate a 0 I would."

AustinRev3643 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2016

"Literally did nothing for my anxiety. Made me really sleepy but not sleepy enough to pass out. It just made me super sluggish."

sweetpjeb23 January 11, 2016

"This has made my anxiety worse. I feel this terrible high. I don't even feel like myself. My body is twitching and I been crying for 3 hours. It is really scaring me. I feel out of this world and not in a good way."

Kimmh00 January 5, 2016

"I have anxiety and did not realise till I took only a 1/4 of my 25ml tab how much it was effecting me. Today I have felt more able and productive and had a day without anxiety feels amazing. I did have at least 2 memorable dreams that night. I have noticed a slight dry mouth and eyes. This being said I do have ckd and will be going back to docs to make sure kidneys are not being affected and also to ask for the liquid version of this as the other ingredients list more to my preference.... no colour additives from what I've read."

Clareclareclare January 4, 2016

"Calms and relaxes without grogginess"

Napitomalito (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

"Take the smallest dose possible! I took 50 mg of this and spent an entire day on the couch feeling dizzy and tired and completely wiped out. It was only until a family member commented on how my anxiety seemed to be better that I realized it was true. I asked my Dr for the smallest dose and 5 mg. It is enough to calm my anxiety and help me sleep without feeling uselessly tired. "

Mom2Angels (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2015

"I take this for my extreme anxiety disorder. Just 25mg alone will knock me out for hours. Personally it causes me incredibly vivid dreams, a lot of the time they are nightmares. Not sure if it's connected to the medicine, or it's just me. I do wake up feeling an extreme hangover. But it works really well for my anxiety at 50mg."

Anonymous September 2, 2015

"I experience severe social and generalised anxiety. I was given 25mg of Atarax to take twice a day. I didn't feel it relieved my anxiety symptoms. It made me very sleepy. When I awoke in the morning I felt very groggy, constant yawning and didn't feel I could pay attention or properly, function at my job or get housework/errands done. I personally do not find Atarax helpful for anxiety."

shemightbelost (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 18, 2015

"Im 18, and I've never been on medications before... i have performance- and social anxiety. So when i went to my doctors and asked for something to help me survive my everyday life, he recommended Atarax. But i have been taking them for 2 weeks now with no effect what so ever... granted, they are only 10 mg and small as a breadcrumb, but i was at least expecting some effect from it. The only thing i felt was nausea and dizziness.... must say im quite disappointed "

sofiepofie (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2015

"Helped me a lot, non addictive, but some times it keeps me half sleeping and half awake at night time, otherwise its a great drug for its calming effect. Thanks"

Raj15 (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2015

"Taking 25mg every 12 hours. Makes me feel like I have a hang over the next day. As far as it helping my anxiety, well, it knocks me out. So I guess I can't be anxious if I'm asleep on the couch. Will be trying something else."

Shannonwashere (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2015

"It's not really helping anything"

chris93838282 May 23, 2015

"I experienced unremittently high anxiety for almost a year before trying this medication. Panic attacks at least every third day, sometimes more than once each day, so severe that I visited the ER at least twice a month. Xanax helped for a few days but after that just made things worse and caused withdrawal even when taken less often than prescribed, buspar did nothing at all, and Celexa barely helped. Finally a nurse gave me a sample of this medication. It was a miracle drug. After a month anxiety-free I was able to stop taking it and now feel great. Side effects were so mild compared to other medications I've tried that I did not even notice them. It works much better than Dramamine for nausea too though it does make you sleepy"

PriPre (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2015

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It caused severe paranoia and ultra sensitivity to all senses."

llwyatt90 (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2015

"I was taking 50 mg three times a day. It worked awesome for my anxiety, however after a month I started having seizures and severe muscle twitching and I had to stop it."

Lacie Love (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2015

"I was originally prescribed ATARAX for poision ivy. I also suffer from depression and anxiety. I take CYMBALTA daily & VALIUM as needed. I was pleasantly surprised when starting ATARAX. I noticed after my first pill having a more clear head and being more productive. I didn't connect the two until later reading up on its other benefits. Anyway, I haven't had any side effects at all on ATARAX and it has been added to my daily Meds. If I'm more than 4 hours off my CYMBALTA I will get a nasty headache & would be a withdrawal nightmare but it's the ONLY thing that has helped my depression long term & I've tried "everything" so I am thankful & Im sure to take my Meds on time! Goodluck!"

Nina Picassa (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2015

"I was on Cymbalta 90mg and had to stop cold turkey .. thank goodness for my Atarax. I am having severe withdrawals and I take 50mg up to 4 times a day . I also use this for my anxiety. I was addicted to Klonopin so I am thankful for this no addictive Atarax."

donewbenzo February 9, 2015

"Bipolar. Now on Atarax and Buspar together. Things have gotten better. No side effects except vivid dreams, if you are like me you'd rather have those than anxiety."

MauriCruz9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 25, 2014

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next