User Reviews for Homatropine / hydrocodone

Also known as: Hycodan, Hydromet, Hydromide, Hydropane, Hydrotropine, Tussigon

Learn more about Homatropine/hydrocodone.

Homatropine/hydrocodone Review Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 920 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Homatropine/hydrocodone to treat Cough

"I had been congested and coughing for five days finally went to the doctor and they gave me this medicine. I started taking it at 8pm last night and I have take two doses of it now. It works immediately. My only concern is it is now 5am and I haven't been sleepy or drowsy. I have been up all night with tons of energy. This stuff is really good."

LynninAlabama December 31, 2014

Hydromet (homatropine / hydrocodone): "Worked great for my cough but I made the mistake of taking it on an empty stomach and 8 hours later am still severely nauseous and vomiting."

justwannafeelbetter86 November 11, 2014

Hycodan (homatropine / hydrocodone): "Worked well in terms of stopping my cough, but even at the lowest dose (5ml) I got extreme nausea and vomiting and had to switch to a different hydrocodone-based syrup."

Kat85 (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2014

Hydromet (homatropine / hydrocodone): "The only cough syrup I have ever used that works every time."

Tony6420 November 4, 2014

"I followed the instructions precisely to take one teaspoon;I took only one dose. The syrup caused severe nausea and stomach discomfort that persisted for more than 24 hours."

GWalker22 June 4, 2014

"I usually get a persistent cough when I come down with a head cold. So, just before bed I take 5 ml ( 1 teaspoon ) measured carefully. Fortunately, none of the stomach side effects (which seem to be more common with higher dosages.) During the day I live with the cough, which I understand is somewhat necessary to clear the lungs. If I didn't take anything at all I would never get a proper night's sleep when I needed it the most - to recover from an illness."

Alan_22 March 26, 2014

Hycodan (homatropine / hydrocodone): "This seems to be the only cough syrup that stops my chronic non-productive cough as it doesn't knock me out. At one time the directions were 1-2 tsps/4 hours. I found out that 2 tsps will make me drowsy and nauseous so I stick to 1 teaspoon."

Faf (taken for 10 years or more) February 26, 2014

Hydromet (homatropine / hydrocodone): "Was prescribed this for a sore throat and it worked very well. Even better, was that apparently it stopped my extreme snoring. Also, I had the best dreams while taking it: very vivid, dark and awesome. This stuff really made my throat feel better and helped me make a speedy recovery."

YetiMade November 10, 2013

Hydromet (homatropine / hydrocodone): "Was given Hydromet syrup for violent cough due to upper respiratory Infection. Works VERY well. The only problem I have is intense itching with any hydrocodone."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2013

"I have a nasty case of the flu and a severe cough which landed me in the ER. They prescribed this medication and I thought I knew what to expect but I was sadly mistaken. The severe cough was controlled almost instantly. I slept well, but the side effects were wicked. I felt dizzy, delirious even. It were as if I were drunk or even on acid, perhaps. I ended up vomiting multiple times the next day. The side effects of the medication can take up to 24 hours or more to wear off. However, this medication really does do what it is prescribed to do, and that's stop the persistent, hacking cough."

Mrs Harris (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2013

"This medication is amazing. I have bronchitis, and it helped my cough so much that I was able to sleep."

15oranges March 14, 2013

Hydromet (homatropine / hydrocodone): "Hydromet soothes my sore throat and I feel better within a day. The last two doctors only prescribed Benadryl syrup which does nothing and causes side effects."

Kayeae February 18, 2013

Hycodan (homatropine / hydrocodone): "This medication worked great at stopping my cough immediately. I was diagnosed with bronchitis but I think it is now pneumonia. A strange thing happened though. I noticed every time I took it, a few hours later I would feel like I had the flu. My skin would hurt and I would actually get a fever which I didn't have before."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2012

Hycodan (homatropine / hydrocodone): "This cough medicine is AWESOME for the nagging cough that comes with bronchitis. "

Anonymous April 20, 2012

Hydromet (homatropine / hydrocodone): "I am an 80 year old female who hardly ever gets ill. The only medication that I take is Vitoryn and my cholestrol is way below 200. Last week I caught a chill and I felt it go thrhough my body. The next day I experienced what felt like a cronic nasal drip. I literally seemed to cough my brains out. As it worked out, I had a non-related appointment with my doctor. She spotted an upper respiratory inflamation and suggested Hydromet. Within 10 minutes I was a new person. No side effects..just great sleeping."

Mahalo March 15, 2012

"Was given this today due to week-long cough, congestion and runny nose due to bronchitis and possible pneumonia (still awaiting xray results). Took 1 tsp dose at 5pm, within 10 minutes had severe nausea and chest pain. Laid down, cold rag...symptoms disappeared suddenly within 10 minutes. Stood up, they came back. Repeated lying down/cold rag...symptoms went away. MIGHT have been because I hadn't eaten since 12:30 pm, but not sure. Only the one dose so far. Did have about 5 minutes of feeling like I was sedated, drifting/dozing off, but that went away also. Cough has virtually disappeared though. Can take Vicodin without having these side effects. Symptoms were identical to when I've had Morphine without Zofran immediately following."

Anonymous March 15, 2012

Hycodan (homatropine / hydrocodone): "I was prescribed Hycodan tablets for bronchitis 30 years ago and have never been prescribed anything that works as well to get a good nights sleep when I have a bad cough. When I ask for it, even when my doctor prescribed it by name they didn't have it in tablet form at my pharmacy. I end up with Vicodin, which does not work as well to stop the coughing. They both make me sleep, I would never take it in the daytime. "

6weekcough March 7, 2012

"It stopped a persistent cough. But the side effects for me were unpleasant. Woke up the next morning with headache, nausea and like the room was spinning. Had no appetite for several hours."

Anonymous February 17, 2012

"Worked great on my cough. Made me a bit restless though. I was able to take it during the day and not be sleepy, so that was a plus."

Anonymous October 25, 2011

"I only gave this med a 5 because I have mixed feelings about it. As a cough suppressant it worked 'good' for me. Not great.. but I'm able to sleep better with less coughing. The cough is better. But the side effects have been awful for me. (I'm over 70 years old, so may react to medicines more readily). It makes me awfully drowsy and dizzy so that I won't drive. And after my morning dose today I started feeling nauseous and vomited (I have a cast iron stomach and never vomit unless I get the stomach flu). "

Anonymous June 11, 2011

Hydromet (homatropine / hydrocodone): "Was prescribed Hydromet around the time H1N1 was spreading. I had a nasty cough, brutal body aches and fever. As soon as I took a dose, the flu symptoms reduced significantly. The cough disappeared overnight. The only problem was the intense nausea that caused vomiting. Maybe should take with food to reduce side effects. Otherwise this syrup was a flu-buster like no other medicine."

broadway jay May 29, 2011

Hycodan (homatropine / hydrocodone): "This is the ONLY cough medicine that works. Nothing else allows me to rest, therefore, allows me to get better."

Anonymous April 28, 2011

"For some reason nothing stops my coughing. My doctor said try this and I did. It has been the only thing that I have found that will stop my cough."

dsmth April 3, 2011

Hydromet (homatropine / hydrocodone): "I was taking Hydromet for pneumonia. It seemed to work quite well the first night, as I took it right before bed and I slept very well. However, I found that while taking it during the day, I got extremely nauseous and continuously threw up until an anti-nausea prescription finally came through. I usually do fine taking pill forms of codeine, such as vicodin etc, but find that in taking this during the day, it causes such dizziness that you feel like you're on a horrible theme park ride. Do not recommend if you are susceptible to vomiting from being too dizzy; seems to work for others though."

Anonymous February 28, 2011

Hycodan (homatropine / hydrocodone): "I have an upper respiratory infection, sinus congestion, and middle ear infection, and was given Hycodan for the first time in my life last night at a local emergency room, Within 45 minutes I actually felt human again, and my symptoms did not return until almost 8 hours later. This is an AWESOME medication!"

Anonymous February 7, 2011