User Reviews for Guaifenesin

Also known as: Actifed CC Chesty Cough, Air Power, Allfen Jr, Altarussin, Altorant, Amibid LA, Anti-Tuss, Aquamist, Balminil Expectorant, Beechams Veno's Expectorant, Beechams Veno's for Kids Chesty Cough, Benadryl Chesty Forte, Benylin E, Bidex-400, Breonesin, ...show all 111 brand names

Learn more about Guaifenesin.

Guaifenesin review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Guaifenesin to treat Fibromyalgia

Review by Melody11728:

Mucinex (guaifenesin): With moderate to severe fibromyalgia for 12 years I lost my career and lived in fear of having a life to avoid a flare-up. I have tried every antidepressant, serotonin uptake inhibitor, pain medicine, anti-inflammatory.... you all know, with major side effects that only contributed to fibromyalgia symptoms. March 2014 I got a cold and used Mucinex for the first time and could not believe the relief. I have prayed for someone to invent a NEW MEDICINE for fibromyalgia that would work and it turned out this OLD MEDICINE has returned my life to me. Thank God for Mucinex!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2014 8:34 PM

Review by AmitPAmin:

Mucinex (guaifenesin): I've tried dozens of therapies and medicines. Mucinex does better than them all. Since taking it, my pain levels have gone down by 90%. Mucinex doesn't work for everyone. But it's cheap and over the counter. What's the harm in trying? I wish a doctor or website had suggested I try it - would have saved me years of pain.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 15, 2014 6:54 PM

Review by nina2:

Mucinex (guaifenesin): I started using 1200mg 2x a day about 5 days ago and it really works. I can't believe it truly works.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 19, 2014 1:12 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Guaifenesin really does work. I'm a 26 year old female recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I have been to several doctors within the past several months because of the pain that Fibromyalgia has caused. Out of all the potentially harmful meds I've been prescribed, this is the only medication that has actually helped and to this day continues to help. I have used Mucinex for over a month without any side effects. It has also helped with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, acid reflux. I would highly recommend this to anyone suffering from a terrible disease such as Fibromyalgia.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 18, 2014 9:19 AM

Review by Ninasell198:

Mucinex (guaifenesin): I also take Mucinex and have since 2003. As I have read the reviews I have not read any mention of having to remove salicylates from all topical products. Been on Guiafenesin for 10 years and has helped me greatly.

March 20, 2014 11:05 PM

Review by Fibromel:

Mucinex (guaifenesin): I had a terrible experience with Mucinex. I followed the protocol for just over 1 month hoping to feel some relief but I felt really heavy, like I had a bad flu, and had worse pain. I think most people are experiencing relief so give it a shot; it just didn't help me.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2014 2:16 PM

Review by CallMeJane (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Suffered with pain and fatigue entire adult life, but in 2008 I was bedridden from fibromyalgia & fatigue. This is not a quick fix, nor is it a cure. It is a treatment I will use for the rest of my life. The protocol is complicated and can be expensive, depending on your required dose. I had eat a low-carb diet to control my fatigue. Each year since 2008 has been measurably better. This protocol is most difficult for the "natural" crowd - no herbal supplements, must avoid most "natural" skin products - but for me it has been well worth it. I am stronger and in less pain than when I started this. Most important, I am not bedridden.

December 27, 2013 7:25 PM

Review by Stacie Jung:

Mucinex (guaifenesin): I have been in terrible and increasing pain since last September. I have had hip and spinal X-rays and MRIs and they show slight arthritis and little else. I had an injection of cortisone in my left hip and now the doctor is recommending a shot to my spine. The pain is so bad, that lately I've been reduced to tears. I went from surfing in August to hobbling in September and the doctors treat me like I'm this no activity couch potato who deserves to feel horrible because I'm getting old and I need to lose weight. Sure I do, I've gained 30 pounds in the last year because I can barely walk. Well, I tried Guaifenesin this afternoon because and it made me fall asleep, and when I woke up, THE PAIN WAS GONE!

June 20, 2013 5:29 PM

Review by fibro(my)gia on facebook (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Mucinex (guaifenesin): I regained my life by following the guaifenesin protocol. You MUST take single ingredient guaifenesin with no added meds in order to be safe!

May 22, 2013 6:47 PM

Review by Trout Lover (taken for 1 to 6 months):

A few years ago I took Mucinex for a cough before going on a hike. I noticed that after the hike I didn't hurt as much and my recovery time was much shorter. I had bad leg and back pain at the time. A few months ago I got Q-Tussin for a cough. Wow! For the first time in years I had the desire to clean the house and I was able to. I looked up other uses for guaifenesin and there it was - it helps with fibromyalgia. I have since been diagnosed with fibro and I try to take the 600 mg of Mucinex twice a day. It may not work for everyone but it makes me a functioning human being again. I am much happier, in less pain, and my irritable bowel syndrome has cleared up.

May 22, 2013 3:56 PM

Review by viannep1961 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Mucinex (guaifenesin): This is the only medicine that helped take care of the symptoms I had from Fibromyalgia, with no side effects

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 13, 2012 4:51 PM

Review by LivingWithFibro:

Mucinex (guaifenesin): I was diagnosed at 20 and put on muscle relaxers and pain killers that did nothing more than immobilize me. I read about the guaifenesin treatment and asked my doctor for a prescription. I started at 1200mg extended release 2x daily. FINALLY I had my life back. When Mucinex took away the generic option, I dropped to 600mg 2x daily, and it still does the trick. 12 years later, I still swear by it. I have occasional set backs, but I always bounce back within a week.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2012 10:05 PM

Review by robert-sydney:

Mucinex (guaifenesin): Diagnosed with severe fibromyalgia, mayofascial pain, IBS. Went through nerve studies etc and muscle biopsy. Finally told I had severe fibromyalgia. The problem was that it was progressing every month. I became suicidal due to pain levels, couldn't walk 10 meters. It saves lives. I might not have the fibromyalgia type you have but this medicine saved my life and if you think spending $30 to try it is a waste then it means you did not suffer enough. I lost it all, wife, home, job but a simple flu tablet got me back everything and it even took my eczema, IBS I had for years. God bless those who came up with that theory. Theory might be wrong but it does the job.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2012 7:03 AM

Mucinex (guaifenesin): It works. I have not had 100% relief but this is the first 4 consecutive days I have been able to go without some type of pain medicine. Neurontin worked for me as well but it made me sleepy and irritable. I'm taking a good vitamin as well but I attribute this profound relief to Mucinex- 600mg daily.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 15, 2012 5:50 AM

Review by wildbreeze:

Mucinex (guaifenesin): I posted almost 2 months ago. I've been taking Mucinex since then for the fibromyalgia pain (I am not a creature of habit and have a hard time remembering to take any medication but I don't miss it!) I can sincerely say that it continues to work - progressively better - and I find it hard to believe it myself! Pain in my right shoulder that I've had for over 15 years has quietly disappeared. I no longer sleep with a pillow between my knees, and I have so much less pain bending over, etc. I also don't have to clear my throat constantly in the morning like I did so it works great on mucus too. I really didn't expect the results to continue. If you have pain like me, give it a try. No bad effects. I hope it works for you.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 20, 2011 10:02 PM

Review by aarsprn:

Mucinex (guaifenesin): After suffering unbearably for 15 years from Fibromyalgia (including 6 years on disability for it). My neurologist suggested I read everything by Dr. D'Amato and try Mucinex. We tried 600 mg twice a day for 6 weeks, no response, upped the dose to 800 mg twice a day for 4 weeks, a little better, then 1200 mg twice a day and it was a miracle. I slowly regained a life again. Throughout this time I also exercised about 1/2 hour a day, which also helps.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 29, 2011 1:19 PM

Review by Wildbreeze:

Mucinex (guaifenesin): I have had severe hip, lower back and leg pain lately, and have had so much pain walking, sleeping and could hardly bend. I made an appointment with my doctor and though I have fibromyalgia, I thought I was really headed for trouble. Then wham - I was hit with a bad cold. I took my hubbie's Mucinex and thought - am I imagining things or did my pain magically subside? I don't know why, but boy what a difference it made! After a second dose, I looked it up and found this post. Going to the doc's tomorrow and will tell him.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 24, 2011 11:55 PM

Mucinex (guaifenesin): My neurologist has tried me on several medicines, but I work in the OR that the Cymbalta and Lexapro do make the pain manageable but I think all the side effects are with me. Mentally I felt like I was floating. I have done the amitriptyline, Neurontin, Buspar, Ultram, Flexeril. But when I read Mucinex I thought you are kidding me. The next morning I went and got some Maximum Strength 12 hr relief and also tried the liquid but I prefer the tablets. Try it I promise it works. Sounds crazy but it does.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 9, 2011 11:30 PM

Mucinex (guaifenesin): I have been using Mucinex for 6-9 months for Fibromyalgia and Chronic Cough (20 years). Started with 600mg twice a day for about a month, then I switched to 1200mg twice a day for about 2 months. 1200 was way TOO Much, it made my joints burn with pain and my left leg swelled up. I switched back to 600mg twice a day - still had the pain and swelling - then dropped the dose to 600mg once a day - the swelling went down and the pain was much less. I got very tired -hard to work. All this time the Mucinex worked to control the Fibro and helped me to function and think clearly. I will try an even lower dose of Mucinex. Can't get it over the counter. I've been off the medicine for 2 days with lots of rest. In a few days I'll be back on with a lower dose.

July 29, 2011 10:33 AM

Review by kamcam25:

Mucinex (guaifenesin): I found tremendous relief during the past six months with Mucinex for fibromyalgia, however I was wondering if any other person thought that the Mucinex also caused sensitivity to sugar. I also noticed that when I took the 1200mg of 12 hour timed release Mucinex I felt energetic, however my joints were extremely painful. My shoulders and left knee were on fire, and my left leg was swollen. I reduced the dosage to 600mg timed release. Now I feel okay, able to function without the extreme pain and swelling, the sensitivity to sugar is still there though. Also, I am premenopausal and was wondering if anyone thought that taking Mucinex made the symptoms worse. Overall Mucinex works for me.

May 31, 2011 7:46 AM

Review by AleciaJeanne:

Mucinex (guaifenesin): Mucinex made my pain disappear if I took it along with a painkiller but not only that, it made everything better. All of my fibromyalgia symptoms were gone, but that may have been because I was taking Ginseng for energy and ginkgo for fibrofog. I still love Mucinex, it saved my life.

April 20, 2011 9:23 PM

Review by post-chemo pain suffer:

Mucinex (guaifenesin): I had severe tendinitis after 5 rounds of high dose chemo, probably as a side-effect of the antibiotic Levaquin. I had my RA factor checked to be sure rheumatoid arthritis hadn't kicked in with the chemo and it was normal. But I was in serious pain. Then I got a cold last week and picked up some Mucinex for the cough. Amazingly the tendinitis has settled way down. I only took Mucinex for 3 days and now, a week later, I am still enjoying the benefit. I am not 100% pain free, but probably 90%.

February 24, 2011 7:46 PM

Mucinex (guaifenesin): I bought some Mucinex 3 weeks ago for a very bad cough that would not go away. Within a few days my fibromyalgia seemed to be getting better. Places that always had pretty much the same amount of pain seemed less painful and even the more painful ones where hurting less. The pain has continued to decrease and I am starting to feel more energetic. This is the best I have felt in years. It was only after doing research on-line that I found the Mucinex/fibro connection. I only learned that I had fibro last fall and the prescription drugs have too many bad side effects for me to take them though I was afraid I would be forced to someday. The Mucinex has had no side effects and I am feeling better everyday.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 3, 2011 10:31 AM

Review by Hard2Love:

Mucinex (guaifenesin): Wow! I am shocked to find out that Mucinex is giving people relief from Fibromalga. How wonderful is that! I think the drug manufacturers should let this information be spread more then it is. I see this as a wonderful bit of information.

November 29, 2010 1:27 AM

Review by ERIN....K:

Mucinex (guaifenesin): I have recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Soon after I had a cold and started taking Mucinex to clear out my sinuses. Not only did my sinuses feel good but I noticed that in general I felt amazing. My body just didn't hurt like it had been hurting for the past few months. So I got online and typed in Mucinex... low and behold the first thing that popped up was using mucinex as a treatment for fibromyalgia ... crazy. I had no idea... so for those of you speculating that it may be a placebo effect ..believe me I felt the difference without knowing that others have used it as a therapy.... it works wonders!

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2010 1:20 AM