User Reviews for Guaifenesin

Also known as: Actifed CC Chesty Cough, Air Power, Allfen Jr, Altarussin, Altorant, Amibid LA, Anti-Tuss, Aquamist, Balminil Expectorant, Beechams Veno's Expectorant, Beechams Veno's for Kids Chesty Cough, Benadryl Chesty Forte, Benylin E, Bidex-400, Breonesin, ...show all 118 brand names

Learn more about Guaifenesin.

Guaifenesin Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Guaifenesin to treat Fibromyalgia

"I have been using Guaifenesen for 10 years now. Like my Doctor said, I had initial relief, then cycled between feeling worse and better, and now my CFS / Fibro is much milder than it was. I avoid Salicylates, but accidental exposure isn't a disaster, since I am not a strong blocker. For me, it works best just before or just after mild exercise, like a 1 mile walk to work, or mowing the lawn. I take 1/4 of a COSTCO 400 mg. Tablet whenever I feel Fibro pain, or before anticipated exercise, or after unexpected exercise."

Jefflem (taken for 10 years or more) January 7, 2016

"I have been taking this medicine for 2-3 months now and although amazing results for my condition I have had constant kidney infections. I normally have no probs there so although it's amazing I have to stop taking it. Please be aware anyone that takes it!"

Ju-drop January 3, 2016

"I started a store brand guaifenisin three months ago 600mg extended release 2x a day for the fibromyalgia. Within two weeks, the extreme muscle cramps in my legs, feet and torso had decreased by 95%. Now that I have been taking this for three months, my IBS symptoms have decreased. I follow the salicylate protocol meaning no aspirin or related products and have changed my toothpaste and facial products to eliminate those that might negate the guaifenisin. Have also eliminated any herbal supplements to give this a try."

elmack (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2015

"I've been in the Guaifenesin protocol for over 2 years. It's given me my life back. It's not a quick fix or a cure but it reverses the symptoms."

Carmen Slater December 2, 2015

"I am a retired nurse. I have done all of the 'research' regarding the Guaifenesin for Fibromyalgia treatment. I was diagnosed a year ago with this painful, awful disease and am unable to tolerate any of the prescribed medication available. After a friend literally stumbled upon her Mucenex treatment - having an upper respiratory infection and her Fibro pain subsided! I started on the Guaifenesin only at 600 mg a day. Not only did my pain ease up immediately - my mucous level is lower and I am confident that this will help my C.O.P.D. because I am breathing better. (Oxygen dependent at night) This OTC treatment has relieved my pain by 80%. I am sleeping better and moving easier. This works and has changed my life and attitude."

Robbiesfine777 October 19, 2015

"I agree it probably doesn't work for the reasons set forth by St.Amand, but it did work for me (complying with the salicylate ban) in the timescales he finds, as follows: 3 days of nothing Then 2.5 days of feeling great Then 7 months of feeling worse than ever Then roughly 2 years of feeling much much better, but eventually it tailed off to nothing. Still the only effective FMS/CFS medicine I've tried except for LDN."

Wolfita (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 18, 2015

"There's enough evidence incl to indicate that Guaifenesin does not work at all as Dr. St. Amand proposes. I take it anyways for my fibromyalgia related phlegm. It might have a minor or major relaxant effect in higher doses, which explains the benefits that patients report (including some that suggest it worked instantly) but that's as far as it goes. I took it for many years in a desperate attempt to make it work as suggested and rid myself of every single salicylate with obsession. There was no experiencing of cycling or getting better. I lost a lot of money buying Mucinex long lasting and combining with short-acting, and upped the dose to 3600mg/daily at some point to no avail. I'm giving it a 1 because it is not a fibromyalgia treatment."

Didnotwork October 4, 2015

"Went on the guaifenesin protocol years ago stopped all salicylates and mint containing products this works changed my life"

Ev5 September 19, 2015

"I am a 57 year old male with fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed 22 years ago. I suffered with it for several years prior, Drs Were reluctant To diagnose, because it is a difficult diagnosis and rarely affects males. The symptoms were nearly debilitating. Treatment recommended at the time was elavil and lots of rest. Had some relief from Chiropractic, acupuncture, also from b12 and magnesium chloride injections. All relief was quite temporary.After suffering for several years, another Dr started me on the Guai Protocol. He did his research and knew the best results come from true slow release Guaifenesin only available from a compounding RX. I take 3000 mg per day with few side effects. With Mucinex, relif ia far less constant & long lasting."

copingwell July 19, 2015

"I'm not sure how long I've had fibromyalgia, but I'm guessing about 10 yrs. The fatigue/widespread pain and depression were so bad I couldn't stand it any longer. I had read about Mucinex online, but I couldn't fathom how this could possibly help me. One day while trying to work, I just couldn't stand it. I couldn't concentrate, much less keep my eyes open and the pain -- I couldn't move anything without the pain. So I walked across the street to the store and picked it up. I was very desperate. I was literally SO shocked by what happened. Within 30 minutes, the pain wasn't severe and for the first time since I can remember I didn't feel that debilitating fatigue. I told everyone that would listen. It's been miracle for me."

Tootels (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2015

"I had a question rather then a comment. I have read that products with SALICYLATES interfere with the GUAIFENESIN in the mucinex from working and that you should check all medications, skin products and supplements before taking it. Has everyone adhered to this that has had good results?"

Salicylates? (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2015

"I've had Fibro for 15 years, I tried guaifenesin years ago, but not regularly. I was on Lyrica And Cymbalta, but the side effects are awful. I started guaifenesin (mucinex) again less than a month ago. So far, I feel great. I still have pain, but I can move now. The pain isn't debilitating like it was. It even help my mood, which has been a huge struggle for me lately. Im taking 400mg twice daily for now. I can only have hope. Right????"

Sandra Toz (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

"Today my doctor told me to try Guaifenesin for fibromyalgia. I'm thankful for all the reviews offered here especially the one saying to purchase the single ingredient product to be safe. I get a lot of side effects. I purchased the store brand Tussin which only has Guaifenesin as the active ingredient. I'm starting today and I'm very optimistic about improvement. I will post another review as soon as I can see the benefits."

NewKai2015 April 8, 2015

"I've been taking Guaifenesin for more than five years for fibromyalgia. It makes a definite difference. I have much less pain and depression."

Fbeasvlc March 11, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "Mucinex is great for decongesting your lungs. Didn't have any part in helping my Fibromyalgia pain."

windickey (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "52 currently, Fibromyalgia began about 16 yrs ago.. Last few years have been really tough, and in discussing at deer camp with friends, one of them mentioned Mucinex. Read up, bought the 600 and raised it to 1200's the next week. My pain is at least reduced by 50%! I'm hearing other supplements in conjunction could help even more but for the moment I'm very pleased to have been told about Mucinex!"

JohnSS (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "Unbelievable is all I can say! I could not have doubted this more, but after suffering night after night with horrendous back pain, I sat up at 3am searching the internet for some herb or vitamin I had dismissed the 100 other times I had sat up on the night in pain. I thought it sounded ridiculous, but no more so than anything else I had tried. I started with 1200mg and have remained on that and I feel better than I have in years. I urge you to try this. It has changed my life!"

Poodle Mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2014

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "Couldn't believe it could be true but it was. Newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I read about Mucinex for fibromyalgia; read that it is a muscle relaxant and enhances the analgesic effect of aspirin and Tylenol; and is enhanced by magnesium. Went out and bought the 800 mg with 2 aspirin and some magnesium citrate, and it worked! The pain just seems to dissolve away. I continue to take 800mg (2, 400mg immediate release tablets) with aspirin and magnesium, three times a day, or 1200 mg twice a day. "

gloe September 19, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I was sick with sinus infection and was taking Mucinex. I thought to myself, I am going to be extra sore since I am home from work and resting more than usual because I was not feeling well. I was shocked when after taking Mucinex for a few days, my pain was gone. No more tender spots. My arms had been really bad lately and when I touched them, they were no longer sore. I had no idea of the connection at the time. I googled Mucinex and was amazed that I found studies that something for a cold could possibly help with fibromyalgia. I stopped taking it and the symptoms came back so I started taking it again. I take 2-3 400mg a day. I call this experience accidentally on purpose. It may not work for everyone as we're all different but its worth trying."

komwill September 16, 2014

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "With moderate to severe fibromyalgia for 12 years I lost my career and lived in fear of having a life to avoid a flare-up. I have tried every antidepressant, serotonin uptake inhibitor, pain medicine, anti-inflammatory.... you all know, with major side effects that only contributed to fibromyalgia symptoms. March 2014 I got a cold and used Mucinex for the first time and could not believe the relief. I have prayed for someone to invent a NEW MEDICINE for fibromyalgia that would work and it turned out this OLD MEDICINE has returned my life to me. Thank God for Mucinex!"

Melody11728 July 5, 2014

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I've tried dozens of therapies and medicines. Mucinex does better than them all. Since taking it, my pain levels have gone down by 90%. Mucinex doesn't work for everyone. But it's cheap and over the counter. What's the harm in trying? I wish a doctor or website had suggested I try it - would have saved me years of pain."

AmitPAmin June 15, 2014

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I started using 1200mg 2x a day about 5 days ago and it really works. I can't believe it truly works."

nina2 May 19, 2014

"Guaifenesin really does work. I'm a 26 year old female recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I have been to several doctors within the past several months because of the pain that Fibromyalgia has caused. Out of all the potentially harmful meds I've been prescribed, this is the only medication that has actually helped and to this day continues to help. I have used Mucinex for over a month without any side effects. It has also helped with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, acid reflux. I would highly recommend this to anyone suffering from a terrible disease such as Fibromyalgia."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I also take Mucinex and have since 2003. As I have read the reviews I have not read any mention of having to remove salicylates from all topical products. Been on Guiafenesin for 10 years and has helped me greatly. "

Ninasell198 March 20, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I had a terrible experience with Mucinex. I followed the protocol for just over 1 month hoping to feel some relief but I felt really heavy, like I had a bad flu, and had worse pain. I think most people are experiencing relief so give it a shot; it just didn't help me."

Fibromel March 20, 2014