User Reviews for Guaifenesin

Also known as: Actifed CC Chesty Cough, Air Power, Allfen Jr, Altarussin, Altorant, Amibid LA, Anti-Tuss, Aquamist, Balminil Expectorant, Beechams Veno's Expectorant, Beechams Veno's for Kids Chesty Cough, Benadryl Chesty Forte, Benylin E, Bidex-400, Breonesin, ...show all 118 brand names

Learn more about Guaifenesin.

Guaifenesin Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 36 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Guaifenesin to treat Fibromyalgia

"I started taking guaifenesin about three weeks ago at 600 mg every morning . I had improved in most of my pain but still was getting that evening pain and so I just increased to take another 600mg in evening. I slept so deep and woke up feeling like a new person. I will continue on this because nothing else has ever helped my fibromyalgia better. I can get my life back together now."

Happyfibrogone (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

"My teen daughters were diagnosed with Fibromyalgia before I was. I did tons of research to help them and stumbled on Dr. St. Amand's Guaifenesin Protocol as well realizing that I had a lot of the symptoms as well. We went to Marina del Rey to see the doctor himself and were diagnosed. That was over a year ago. Guaifenesin has helped us all immensely. My daughter was dancing competitively and then couldn't do anything. Now she is dancing again, getting better all the time. My youngest has had her IBS symptoms disappear! You really have to follow the protocol as written, by removing salicylate products and taking long acting guaifenesin. I suggest getting the book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia." Read it to understand."

fibro mom (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 10, 2016

"I've been taking Guaifenesin for 18 months, along with following all of the guidelines written by Dr. R. Paul St. Amand in his book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia". Before I started the Guaifenesin Protocol, I was in so much pain, and had so much fatigue that I was in bed much of the time. Slowly and steadily, I am getting my life back. My pain is much better. The fatigue still comes and goes, but gets better each month. Some of my other Fibro symptoms are completely gone. It is VERY IMPORTANT to follow the protocol as written by Dr. St. Amand, especially avoiding plant products (salicylates) on your skin. Just taking a Guaifenesin pill will not make you better. Do your research--you can do this!"

NancyB,FibroFighter (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 5, 2016

"Mucinex (guaifenesin): "With moderate to severe fibromyalgia for 25 years, lost my career & lived in fear of having a life to avoid a flare-up mostly sleeping bedridden 75% of time. I also have polyneuropathy, trigeminal neuralgia, occipital neuralgia, severe cervical DDD, myelopathy, etc.. have tried every antidepressant, SSRI, pain medicine, anti-inflammatory..you all know, with major side effects. Feb 2016 I got a cold on top of allergies used Mucinex daily 800 mg then up to 1600 mg & could not believe the relief even at 800! I have prayed for someone to invent a NEW MEDICINE for fibromyalgia that would work..turned out this OLD MEDICINE has returned a lot of my life to me, helps the pain, brain fog, fatigue& depression too!"

SDCalifGirl (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2016

"My Fibro pain started 35 years ago and all the doctors shrugged their shoulders. In 2000, I was finally diagnosed and given pain and sleep medication to control the symptoms. At this point I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. When I finally climbed out of the hole, I wasn't content with just "controlling" the symptoms with medication. Yes, it put me to sleep the 1st week and made things worse but the guaifenesin worked very gradually, and over time I began to improve. This is NOT an instant fix. or cure. It takes months and even years. Over the past 16 years I have stopped taking Guaifenesin 3 times and each time I have been slammed with pain within a few weeks. The lesson is just keep taking it."

Brenda501 (taken for 10 years or more) February 16, 2016

"I have been using Guaifenesen for 10 years now. Like my Doctor said, I had initial relief, then cycled between feeling worse and better, and now my CFS / Fibro is much milder than it was. I avoid Salicylates, but accidental exposure isn't a disaster, since I am not a strong blocker. For me, it works best just before or just after mild exercise, like a 1 mile walk to work, or mowing the lawn. I take 1/4 of a COSTCO 400 mg. Tablet whenever I feel Fibro pain, or before anticipated exercise, or after unexpected exercise."

Jefflem (taken for 10 years or more) January 7, 2016

"I have been taking this medicine for 2-3 months now and although amazing results for my condition I have had constant kidney infections. I normally have no probs there so although it's amazing I have to stop taking it. Please be aware anyone that takes it!"

Ju-drop January 3, 2016

"I started a store brand guaifenisin three months ago 600mg extended release 2x a day for the fibromyalgia. Within two weeks, the extreme muscle cramps in my legs, feet and torso had decreased by 95%. Now that I have been taking this for three months, my IBS symptoms have decreased. I follow the salicylate protocol meaning no aspirin or related products and have changed my toothpaste and facial products to eliminate those that might negate the guaifenisin. Have also eliminated any herbal supplements to give this a try."

elmack (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2015

"I've been in the Guaifenesin protocol for over 2 years. It's given me my life back. It's not a quick fix or a cure but it reverses the symptoms."

Carmen Slater December 2, 2015

"I am a retired nurse. I have done all of the 'research' regarding the Guaifenesin for Fibromyalgia treatment. I was diagnosed a year ago with this painful, awful disease and am unable to tolerate any of the prescribed medication available. After a friend literally stumbled upon her Mucenex treatment - having an upper respiratory infection and her Fibro pain subsided! I started on the Guaifenesin only at 600 mg a day. Not only did my pain ease up immediately - my mucous level is lower and I am confident that this will help my C.O.P.D. because I am breathing better. (Oxygen dependent at night) This OTC treatment has relieved my pain by 80%. I am sleeping better and moving easier. This works and has changed my life and attitude."

Robbiesfine777 October 19, 2015

"I agree it probably doesn't work for the reasons set forth by St.Amand, but it did work for me (complying with the salicylate ban) in the timescales he finds, as follows: 3 days of nothing Then 2.5 days of feeling great Then 7 months of feeling worse than ever Then roughly 2 years of feeling much much better, but eventually it tailed off to nothing. Still the only effective FMS/CFS medicine I've tried except for LDN."

Wolfita (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 18, 2015

"There's enough evidence incl to indicate that Guaifenesin does not work at all as Dr. St. Amand proposes. I take it anyways for my fibromyalgia related phlegm. It might have a minor or major relaxant effect in higher doses, which explains the benefits that patients report (including some that suggest it worked instantly) but that's as far as it goes. I took it for many years in a desperate attempt to make it work as suggested and rid myself of every single salicylate with obsession. There was no experiencing of cycling or getting better. I lost a lot of money buying Mucinex long lasting and combining with short-acting, and upped the dose to 3600mg/daily at some point to no avail. I'm giving it a 1 because it is not a fibromyalgia treatment."

Didnotwork October 4, 2015

"Went on the guaifenesin protocol years ago stopped all salicylates and mint containing products this works changed my life"

Ev5 September 19, 2015

"I am a 57 year old male with fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed 22 years ago. I suffered with it for several years prior, Drs Were reluctant To diagnose, because it is a difficult diagnosis and rarely affects males. The symptoms were nearly debilitating. Treatment recommended at the time was elavil and lots of rest. Had some relief from Chiropractic, acupuncture, also from b12 and magnesium chloride injections. All relief was quite temporary.After suffering for several years, another Dr started me on the Guai Protocol. He did his research and knew the best results come from true slow release Guaifenesin only available from a compounding RX. I take 3000 mg per day with few side effects. With Mucinex, relif ia far less constant & long lasting."

copingwell July 19, 2015

"I'm not sure how long I've had fibromyalgia, but I'm guessing about 10 yrs. The fatigue/widespread pain and depression were so bad I couldn't stand it any longer. I had read about Mucinex online, but I couldn't fathom how this could possibly help me. One day while trying to work, I just couldn't stand it. I couldn't concentrate, much less keep my eyes open and the pain -- I couldn't move anything without the pain. So I walked across the street to the store and picked it up. I was very desperate. I was literally SO shocked by what happened. Within 30 minutes, the pain wasn't severe and for the first time since I can remember I didn't feel that debilitating fatigue. I told everyone that would listen. It's been miracle for me."

Tootels (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2015

"I had a question rather then a comment. I have read that products with SALICYLATES interfere with the GUAIFENESIN in the mucinex from working and that you should check all medications, skin products and supplements before taking it. Has everyone adhered to this that has had good results?"

Salicylates? (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2015

"I've had Fibro for 15 years, I tried guaifenesin years ago, but not regularly. I was on Lyrica And Cymbalta, but the side effects are awful. I started guaifenesin (mucinex) again less than a month ago. So far, I feel great. I still have pain, but I can move now. The pain isn't debilitating like it was. It even help my mood, which has been a huge struggle for me lately. Im taking 400mg twice daily for now. I can only have hope. Right????"

Sandra Toz (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

"Today my doctor told me to try Guaifenesin for fibromyalgia. I'm thankful for all the reviews offered here especially the one saying to purchase the single ingredient product to be safe. I get a lot of side effects. I purchased the store brand Tussin which only has Guaifenesin as the active ingredient. I'm starting today and I'm very optimistic about improvement. I will post another review as soon as I can see the benefits."

NewKai2015 April 8, 2015

"I've been taking Guaifenesin for more than five years for fibromyalgia. It makes a definite difference. I have much less pain and depression."

Fbeasvlc March 11, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "Mucinex is great for decongesting your lungs. Didn't have any part in helping my Fibromyalgia pain."

windickey (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "52 currently, Fibromyalgia began about 16 yrs ago.. Last few years have been really tough, and in discussing at deer camp with friends, one of them mentioned Mucinex. Read up, bought the 600 and raised it to 1200's the next week. My pain is at least reduced by 50%! I'm hearing other supplements in conjunction could help even more but for the moment I'm very pleased to have been told about Mucinex!"

JohnSS (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "Unbelievable is all I can say! I could not have doubted this more, but after suffering night after night with horrendous back pain, I sat up at 3am searching the internet for some herb or vitamin I had dismissed the 100 other times I had sat up on the night in pain. I thought it sounded ridiculous, but no more so than anything else I had tried. I started with 1200mg and have remained on that and I feel better than I have in years. I urge you to try this. It has changed my life!"

Poodle Mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2014

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "Couldn't believe it could be true but it was. Newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I read about Mucinex for fibromyalgia; read that it is a muscle relaxant and enhances the analgesic effect of aspirin and Tylenol; and is enhanced by magnesium. Went out and bought the 800 mg with 2 aspirin and some magnesium citrate, and it worked! The pain just seems to dissolve away. I continue to take 800mg (2, 400mg immediate release tablets) with aspirin and magnesium, three times a day, or 1200 mg twice a day. "

gloe September 19, 2014

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I was sick with sinus infection and was taking Mucinex. I thought to myself, I am going to be extra sore since I am home from work and resting more than usual because I was not feeling well. I was shocked when after taking Mucinex for a few days, my pain was gone. No more tender spots. My arms had been really bad lately and when I touched them, they were no longer sore. I had no idea of the connection at the time. I googled Mucinex and was amazed that I found studies that something for a cold could possibly help with fibromyalgia. I stopped taking it and the symptoms came back so I started taking it again. I take 2-3 400mg a day. I call this experience accidentally on purpose. It may not work for everyone as we're all different but its worth trying."

komwill September 16, 2014

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "With moderate to severe fibromyalgia for 12 years I lost my career and lived in fear of having a life to avoid a flare-up. I have tried every antidepressant, serotonin uptake inhibitor, pain medicine, anti-inflammatory.... you all know, with major side effects that only contributed to fibromyalgia symptoms. March 2014 I got a cold and used Mucinex for the first time and could not believe the relief. I have prayed for someone to invent a NEW MEDICINE for fibromyalgia that would work and it turned out this OLD MEDICINE has returned my life to me. Thank God for Mucinex!"

Melody11728 July 5, 2014

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next