User Reviews for Guaifenesin

Also known as: Actifed CC Chesty Cough, Air Power, Allfen Jr, Altarussin, Altorant, Amibid LA, Anti-Tuss, Aquamist, Balminil Expectorant, Beechams Veno's Expectorant, Beechams Veno's for Kids Chesty Cough, Benadryl Chesty Forte, Benylin E, Bidex-400, Breonesin, ...show all 118 brand names

Learn more about Guaifenesin.

Guaifenesin Review Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Guaifenesin to treat Fibromyalgia

"I've had Fibro for 15 years, I tried guaifenesin years ago, but not regularly. I was on Lyrica And Cymbalta, but the side effects are awful. I started guaifenesin (mucinex) again less than a month ago. So far, I feel great. I still have pain, but I can move now. The pain isn't debilitating like it was. It even help my mood, which has been a huge struggle for me lately. Im taking 400mg twice daily for now. I can only have hope. Right????"

Sandra Toz (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

"Today my doctor told me to try Guaifenesin for fibromyalgia. I'm thankful for all the reviews offered here especially the one saying to purchase the single ingredient product to be safe. I get a lot of side effects. I purchased the store brand Tussin which only has Guaifenesin as the active ingredient. I'm starting today and I'm very optimistic about improvement. I will post another review as soon as I can see the benefits."

NewKai2015 April 8, 2015

"I've been taking Guaifenesin for more than five years for fibromyalgia. It makes a definite difference. I have much less pain and depression."

Fbeasvlc March 11, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "Mucinex is great for decongesting your lungs. Didn't have any part in helping my Fibromyalgia pain."

windickey (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "52 currently, Fibromyalgia began about 16 yrs ago.. Last few years have been really tough, and in discussing at deer camp with friends, one of them mentioned Mucinex. Read up, bought the 600 and raised it to 1200's the next week. My pain is at least reduced by 50%! I'm hearing other supplements in conjunction could help even more but for the moment I'm very pleased to have been told about Mucinex!"

JohnSS (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "Unbelievable is all I can say! I could not have doubted this more, but after suffering night after night with horrendous back pain, I sat up at 3am searching the internet for some herb or vitamin I had dismissed the 100 other times I had sat up on the night in pain. I thought it sounded ridiculous, but no more so than anything else I had tried. I started with 1200mg and have remained on that and I feel better than I have in years. I urge you to try this. It has changed my life!"

Poodle Mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2014

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "Couldn't believe it could be true but it was. Newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I read about Mucinex for fibromyalgia; read that it is a muscle relaxant and enhances the analgesic effect of aspirin and Tylenol; and is enhanced by magnesium. Went out and bought the 800 mg with 2 aspirin and some magnesium citrate, and it worked! The pain just seems to dissolve away. I continue to take 800mg (2, 400mg immediate release tablets) with aspirin and magnesium, three times a day, or 1200 mg twice a day. "

gloe September 19, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I was sick with sinus infection and was taking Mucinex. I thought to myself, I am going to be extra sore since I am home from work and resting more than usual because I was not feeling well. I was shocked when after taking Mucinex for a few days, my pain was gone. No more tender spots. My arms had been really bad lately and when I touched them, they were no longer sore. I had no idea of the connection at the time. I googled Mucinex and was amazed that I found studies that something for a cold could possibly help with fibromyalgia. I stopped taking it and the symptoms came back so I started taking it again. I take 2-3 400mg a day. I call this experience accidentally on purpose. It may not work for everyone as we're all different but its worth trying."

komwill September 16, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "With moderate to severe fibromyalgia for 12 years I lost my career and lived in fear of having a life to avoid a flare-up. I have tried every antidepressant, serotonin uptake inhibitor, pain medicine, anti-inflammatory.... you all know, with major side effects that only contributed to fibromyalgia symptoms. March 2014 I got a cold and used Mucinex for the first time and could not believe the relief. I have prayed for someone to invent a NEW MEDICINE for fibromyalgia that would work and it turned out this OLD MEDICINE has returned my life to me. Thank God for Mucinex!"

Melody11728 July 5, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I've tried dozens of therapies and medicines. Mucinex does better than them all. Since taking it, my pain levels have gone down by 90%. Mucinex doesn't work for everyone. But it's cheap and over the counter. What's the harm in trying? I wish a doctor or website had suggested I try it - would have saved me years of pain."

AmitPAmin June 15, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I started using 1200mg 2x a day about 5 days ago and it really works. I can't believe it truly works."

nina2 May 19, 2014

"Guaifenesin really does work. I'm a 26 year old female recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I have been to several doctors within the past several months because of the pain that Fibromyalgia has caused. Out of all the potentially harmful meds I've been prescribed, this is the only medication that has actually helped and to this day continues to help. I have used Mucinex for over a month without any side effects. It has also helped with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, acid reflux. I would highly recommend this to anyone suffering from a terrible disease such as Fibromyalgia."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I also take Mucinex and have since 2003. As I have read the reviews I have not read any mention of having to remove salicylates from all topical products. Been on Guiafenesin for 10 years and has helped me greatly. "

Ninasell198 March 20, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I had a terrible experience with Mucinex. I followed the protocol for just over 1 month hoping to feel some relief but I felt really heavy, like I had a bad flu, and had worse pain. I think most people are experiencing relief so give it a shot; it just didn't help me."

Fibromel March 20, 2014

"Suffered with pain and fatigue entire adult life, but in 2008 I was bedridden from fibromyalgia & fatigue. This is not a quick fix, nor is it a cure. It is a treatment I will use for the rest of my life. The protocol is complicated and can be expensive, depending on your required dose. I had eat a low-carb diet to control my fatigue. Each year since 2008 has been measurably better. This protocol is most difficult for the "natural" crowd - no herbal supplements, must avoid most "natural" skin products - but for me it has been well worth it. I am stronger and in less pain than when I started this. Most important, I am not bedridden."

CallMeJane (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 27, 2013

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I have been in terrible and increasing pain since last September. I have had hip and spinal X-rays and MRIs and they show slight arthritis and little else. I had an injection of cortisone in my left hip and now the doctor is recommending a shot to my spine. The pain is so bad, that lately I've been reduced to tears. I went from surfing in August to hobbling in September and the doctors treat me like I'm this no activity couch potato who deserves to feel horrible because I'm getting old and I need to lose weight. Sure I do, I've gained 30 pounds in the last year because I can barely walk. Well, I tried Guaifenesin this afternoon because and it made me fall asleep, and when I woke up, THE PAIN WAS GONE!"

Stacie Jung June 20, 2013

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I regained my life by following the guaifenesin protocol. You MUST take single ingredient guaifenesin with no added meds in order to be safe!"

fibro(my)gia on facebook (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 22, 2013

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"A few years ago I took Mucinex for a cough before going on a hike. I noticed that after the hike I didn't hurt as much and my recovery time was much shorter. I had bad leg and back pain at the time. A few months ago I got Q-Tussin for a cough. Wow! For the first time in years I had the desire to clean the house and I was able to. I looked up other uses for guaifenesin and there it was - it helps with fibromyalgia. I have since been diagnosed with fibro and I try to take the 600 mg of Mucinex twice a day. It may not work for everyone but it makes me a functioning human being again. I am much happier, in less pain, and my irritable bowel syndrome has cleared up."

Trout Lover (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2013

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "This is the only medicine that helped take care of the symptoms I had from Fibromyalgia, with no side effects"

viannep1961 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 13, 2012

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I was diagnosed at 20 and put on muscle relaxers and pain killers that did nothing more than immobilize me. I read about the guaifenesin treatment and asked my doctor for a prescription. I started at 1200mg extended release 2x daily. FINALLY I had my life back. When Mucinex took away the generic option, I dropped to 600mg 2x daily, and it still does the trick. 12 years later, I still swear by it. I have occasional set backs, but I always bounce back within a week."

LivingWithFibro April 18, 2012

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "Diagnosed with severe fibromyalgia, mayofascial pain, IBS. Went through nerve studies etc and muscle biopsy. Finally told I had severe fibromyalgia. The problem was that it was progressing every month. I became suicidal due to pain levels, couldn't walk 10 meters. It saves lives. I might not have the fibromyalgia type you have but this medicine saved my life and if you think spending $30 to try it is a waste then it means you did not suffer enough. I lost it all, wife, home, job but a simple flu tablet got me back everything and it even took my eczema, IBS I had for years. God bless those who came up with that theory. Theory might be wrong but it does the job."

robert-sydney February 24, 2012

139 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "It works. I have not had 100% relief but this is the first 4 consecutive days I have been able to go without some type of pain medicine. Neurontin worked for me as well but it made me sleepy and irritable. I'm taking a good vitamin as well but I attribute this profound relief to Mucinex- 600mg daily."

Anonymous February 15, 2012

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I posted almost 2 months ago. I've been taking Mucinex since then for the fibromyalgia pain (I am not a creature of habit and have a hard time remembering to take any medication but I don't miss it!) I can sincerely say that it continues to work - progressively better - and I find it hard to believe it myself! Pain in my right shoulder that I've had for over 15 years has quietly disappeared. I no longer sleep with a pillow between my knees, and I have so much less pain bending over, etc. I also don't have to clear my throat constantly in the morning like I did so it works great on mucus too. I really didn't expect the results to continue. If you have pain like me, give it a try. No bad effects. I hope it works for you."

wildbreeze December 20, 2011

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "After suffering unbearably for 15 years from Fibromyalgia (including 6 years on disability for it). My neurologist suggested I read everything by Dr. D'Amato and try Mucinex. We tried 600 mg twice a day for 6 weeks, no response, upped the dose to 800 mg twice a day for 4 weeks, a little better, then 1200 mg twice a day and it was a miracle. I slowly regained a life again. Throughout this time I also exercised about 1/2 hour a day, which also helps."

aarsprn November 29, 2011

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I have had severe hip, lower back and leg pain lately, and have had so much pain walking, sleeping and could hardly bend. I made an appointment with my doctor and though I have fibromyalgia, I thought I was really headed for trouble. Then wham - I was hit with a bad cold. I took my hubbie's Mucinex and thought - am I imagining things or did my pain magically subside? I don't know why, but boy what a difference it made! After a second dose, I looked it up and found this post. Going to the doc's tomorrow and will tell him."

Wildbreeze October 24, 2011

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Fibromyalgia