User Reviews for Guaifenesin

Also known as: Actifed CC Chesty Cough, Air Power, Allfen Jr, Altarussin, Altorant, Amibid LA, Anti-Tuss, Aquamist, Balminil Expectorant, Beechams Veno's Expectorant, Beechams Veno's for Kids Chesty Cough, Benadryl Chesty Forte, Benylin E, Bidex-400, Breonesin, ...show all 118 brand names

Learn more about Guaifenesin.

Bronchitis 27 reviews 278 medications

Fibromyalgia 52 reviews 19 medications

7.6
Cough 32 reviews 747 medications

Summary of Guaifenesin reviews 111 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Guaifenesin

For Fibromyalgia: "I have been using Guaifenesen for 10 years now. Like my Doctor said, I had initial relief, then cycled between feeling worse and better, and now my CFS / Fibro is much milder than it was. I avoid Salicylates, but accidental exposure isn't a disaster, since I am not a strong blocker. For me, it works best just before or just after mild exercise, like a 1 mile walk to work, or mowing the lawn. I take 1/4 of a COSTCO 400 mg. Tablet whenever I feel Fibro pain, or before anticipated exercise, or after unexpected exercise."

Jefflem (taken for 10 years or more) January 7, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I have been taking this medicine for 2-3 months now and although amazing results for my condition I have had constant kidney infections. I normally have no probs there so although it's amazing I have to stop taking it. Please be aware anyone that takes it!"

Ju-drop January 3, 2016

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "I would give this a zero out of ten if it was possible. I rarely get sick but I have been having a lot of trouble with a runny nose and coughing up mucus. This "medicine" doesn't do anything. Not only does it taste terrible but it's useless. Followed instructions and I'm on day 7 with the same problems. Avoid this stuff"

sy91 (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I started a store brand guaifenisin three months ago 600mg extended release 2x a day for the fibromyalgia. Within two weeks, the extreme muscle cramps in my legs, feet and torso had decreased by 95%. Now that I have been taking this for three months, my IBS symptoms have decreased. I follow the salicylate protocol meaning no aspirin or related products and have changed my toothpaste and facial products to eliminate those that might negate the guaifenisin. Have also eliminated any herbal supplements to give this a try."

elmack (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I've been in the Guaifenesin protocol for over 2 years. It's given me my life back. It's not a quick fix or a cure but it reverses the symptoms."

Carmen Slater December 2, 2015

For Cough: "helped a bit"

TUCKERDB (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "One of the best thing for coughs. The Mucinex DX green does a great job of thinning mucus as well as stopping cough. The blue is good for colds and allergies without cough. I prefer the 600 mg tables. For me, they wear off after five hours. Take with a lot of water. The more water the better it works. 16ozs every 90 minutes makes it work the best."

EricfromNC (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2015

Liqufruta Garlic Cough Medicine (guaifenesin) for Cough: "Best cough medicine ever! Fantastic taste too."

Bert the Cert November 12, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "I swear by this stuff. (I'm talking about Musinex's version of TheraFlu, it's fairly new-maybe last year it was put on the shelves) I have tried nearly every cold remedy in the history of the world from teas to drugs to more wholesome remedies but nothing has actually ever worked. This stuff actually reduces the duration of my colds and the severity of colds within the first day. Drink it in the morning and once before bed and you should be golden in 2 days. I'm more of that summertime cold-getter and it works like magic every time."

HaleyR October 28, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I am a retired nurse. I have done all of the 'research' regarding the Guaifenesin for Fibromyalgia treatment. I was diagnosed a year ago with this painful, awful disease and am unable to tolerate any of the prescribed medication available. After a friend literally stumbled upon her Mucenex treatment - having an upper respiratory infection and her Fibro pain subsided! I started on the Guaifenesin only at 600 mg a day. Not only did my pain ease up immediately - my mucous level is lower and I am confident that this will help my C.O.P.D. because I am breathing better. (Oxygen dependent at night) This OTC treatment has relieved my pain by 80%. I am sleeping better and moving easier. This works and has changed my life and attitude."

Robbiesfine777 October 19, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I agree it probably doesn't work for the reasons set forth by St.Amand, but it did work for me (complying with the salicylate ban) in the timescales he finds, as follows: 3 days of nothing Then 2.5 days of feeling great Then 7 months of feeling worse than ever Then roughly 2 years of feeling much much better, but eventually it tailed off to nothing. Still the only effective FMS/CFS medicine I've tried except for LDN."

Wolfita (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 18, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "There's enough evidence incl to indicate that Guaifenesin does not work at all as Dr. St. Amand proposes. I take it anyways for my fibromyalgia related phlegm. It might have a minor or major relaxant effect in higher doses, which explains the benefits that patients report (including some that suggest it worked instantly) but that's as far as it goes. I took it for many years in a desperate attempt to make it work as suggested and rid myself of every single salicylate with obsession. There was no experiencing of cycling or getting better. I lost a lot of money buying Mucinex long lasting and combining with short-acting, and upped the dose to 3600mg/daily at some point to no avail. I'm giving it a 1 because it is not a fibromyalgia treatment."

Didnotwork October 4, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "Went on the guaifenesin protocol years ago stopped all salicylates and mint containing products this works changed my life"

Ev5 September 19, 2015

For Cough: "no help whatsoever. I read in the old AMA Drug Evaluation Guide that it was found be no better than a placebo in blinded trials."

exon33 (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: "It works good, you will feel the congestion breaking down. It does make you cough more to loosen up mucus and yes you probably will stay up a bit a night. I took the pill not liquid. Have to say I was surprised."

DelvaDoll (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2015

For Bronchitis: "I am on my second bout of pneumonia. The constant coughing is painful. I bought this drug otc, and it is helping, a lot. I feel a bit dizzy but I will take dizzy over that constant hacking cough any day. I got this because it only has the "mucus" drug, without the extra junk in Musinex I don't need. The best part? For 15 tablets, cost only 88 cents!"

D.RL. August 27, 2015

For Cough: "I have been suffering from a severe sinus infection for 6 weeks. Antibiotics twice, 3 trips to Dr. When I was at my sickest, I was using MucinexD and it may have helped some. I felt so bad then I don't know that I would have noticed side effects. But weeks later, I was still having so much thick drainage and light headed in my throat that my Dr. told me to switch to the Mucinex (plain) thinking it was the pseudoephedrine that was causing the vertigo. My vertigo worsened and I never even thought of the medication being the cause because the Dr. had said I would be fine without the pseudoephedrine in it. Went to ER when my vertigo became alarming. All tests negative. After all that I found I am allergic to Guaifenesin."

k9odyssey (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I am a 57 year old male with fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed 22 years ago. I suffered with it for several years prior, Drs Were reluctant To diagnose, because it is a difficult diagnosis and rarely affects males. The symptoms were nearly debilitating. Treatment recommended at the time was elavil and lots of rest. Had some relief from Chiropractic, acupuncture, also from b12 and magnesium chloride injections. All relief was quite temporary.After suffering for several years, another Dr started me on the Guai Protocol. He did his research and knew the best results come from true slow release Guaifenesin only available from a compounding RX. I take 3000 mg per day with few side effects. With Mucinex, relif ia far less constant & long lasting."

copingwell July 19, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I'm not sure how long I've had fibromyalgia, but I'm guessing about 10 yrs. The fatigue/widespread pain and depression were so bad I couldn't stand it any longer. I had read about Mucinex online, but I couldn't fathom how this could possibly help me. One day while trying to work, I just couldn't stand it. I couldn't concentrate, much less keep my eyes open and the pain -- I couldn't move anything without the pain. So I walked across the street to the store and picked it up. I was very desperate. I was literally SO shocked by what happened. Within 30 minutes, the pain wasn't severe and for the first time since I can remember I didn't feel that debilitating fatigue. I told everyone that would listen. It's been miracle for me."

Tootels (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I had a question rather then a comment. I have read that products with SALICYLATES interfere with the GUAIFENESIN in the mucinex from working and that you should check all medications, skin products and supplements before taking it. Has everyone adhered to this that has had good results?"

Salicylates? (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2015

For Cough: "Initially it seemed to work wonders, but I cough when I really do not need to do so. I cannot get any sleep, I am nervous, and I been thinking I am going nuts!! I am stopping it immediately. It clears up the mucus but the side effects are horrible."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I've had Fibro for 15 years, I tried guaifenesin years ago, but not regularly. I was on Lyrica And Cymbalta, but the side effects are awful. I started guaifenesin (mucinex) again less than a month ago. So far, I feel great. I still have pain, but I can move now. The pain isn't debilitating like it was. It even help my mood, which has been a huge struggle for me lately. Im taking 400mg twice daily for now. I can only have hope. Right????"

Sandra Toz (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for : "For Fibromyalgia: I have been taking two 600 mg tabs per day of the 100% guafenesin Mucinex since June 2014. Previously was on Lyrica (I now have liver damage I think was caused from that and Cymbalta) which really didn't seem to help much. Can't claim to be totally pain free because it appears I have a "weather" body. Whenever a high pressure storm system comes in, my pain levels go up. I am convinced however that guafenesin therapy works. I have seen other websites that say it is only having a placebo effect, but then how do you explain those people who accidentally helped themselves stop fibro pain when they took it for sinus problems? I now have to be very careful what I take due to liver problems and guaf has no side effects... So? :)"

Joy M (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "Today my doctor told me to try Guaifenesin for fibromyalgia. I'm thankful for all the reviews offered here especially the one saying to purchase the single ingredient product to be safe. I get a lot of side effects. I purchased the store brand Tussin which only has Guaifenesin as the active ingredient. I'm starting today and I'm very optimistic about improvement. I will post another review as soon as I can see the benefits."

NewKai2015 April 8, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "I have been taking Mucinex for about 5 months.... one in a.m. and another at 8pm. I took it because I could not swallow any phlegm and it was difficult coughing it up. My esophagus muscles are very weak and the phlegm would block my air waves. Recently I have developed severe dry mouth as a side affect. I stopped the p.m. pill, and use biotene gel, toothpaste and mouth rinse.... still no relief. If anyone has had this problem, please let me know."

Mattie138 March 24, 2015