User Reviews for Guaifenesin

Also known as: Actifed CC Chesty Cough, Air Power, Allfen Jr, Altarussin, Altorant, Amibid LA, Anti-Tuss, Aquamist, Balminil Expectorant, Beechams Veno's Expectorant, Beechams Veno's for Kids Chesty Cough, Benadryl Chesty Forte, Benylin E, Bidex-400, Breonesin, ...show all 118 brand names

Learn more about Guaifenesin.

Bronchitis 28 reviews 285 medications

Fibromyalgia 57 reviews 20 medications

7.8
Cough 33 reviews 784 medications

Summary of Guaifenesin reviews 118 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Guaifenesin

For Fibromyalgia: "I started taking guaifenesin about three weeks ago at 600 mg every morning . I had improved in most of my pain but still was getting that evening pain and so I just increased to take another 600mg in evening. I slept so deep and woke up feeling like a new person. I will continue on this because nothing else has ever helped my fibromyalgia better. I can get my life back together now."

Happyfibrogone (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: "Helped loosen this putty gunk in my lungs making my coughing more effective and less effort required."

Carranetta (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "My teen daughters were diagnosed with Fibromyalgia before I was. I did tons of research to help them and stumbled on Dr. St. Amand's Guaifenesin Protocol as well realizing that I had a lot of the symptoms as well. We went to Marina del Rey to see the doctor himself and were diagnosed. That was over a year ago. Guaifenesin has helped us all immensely. My daughter was dancing competitively and then couldn't do anything. Now she is dancing again, getting better all the time. My youngest has had her IBS symptoms disappear! You really have to follow the protocol as written, by removing salicylate products and taking long acting guaifenesin. I suggest getting the book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia." Read it to understand."

fibro mom (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 10, 2016

For Cough: "So thankful I purchased, started taking at the first of trouble, and my cough is barely evident. Makes me pee every hour, cause I'm drinking plenty of water , and i think that's why I'm not coughing to much."

Sweetpea Kee (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2016

For : "Great results. Took plain Guaifenesin, 12 hr, 600mg for a cold/bronchitis, but later realized I had no muscle achiness, which otherwise, I have every day. So, I tried Guaifenesin without a cold, and most all the achiness was gone. The good effect lasted a few days, then the aches were back. Did lots of yard work, with worse aches after, and so I took Guaifenesin after the fact, and it quickly helped. After reading a lot about, it appears to relax the muscles, although this is not a technical answer. Evidently, taking aspirin or other with salicylates? Blocks the good effect. I was at a point where I wondered if I had arthritis, but I have no joint pain. Guaifenisen works for me, although I won't take it every day."

Karanne (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I've been taking Guaifenesin for 18 months, along with following all of the guidelines written by Dr. R. Paul St. Amand in his book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia". Before I started the Guaifenesin Protocol, I was in so much pain, and had so much fatigue that I was in bed much of the time. Slowly and steadily, I am getting my life back. My pain is much better. The fatigue still comes and goes, but gets better each month. Some of my other Fibro symptoms are completely gone. It is VERY IMPORTANT to follow the protocol as written by Dr. St. Amand, especially avoiding plant products (salicylates) on your skin. Just taking a Guaifenesin pill will not make you better. Do your research--you can do this!"

NancyB,FibroFighter (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 5, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "Mucinex (guaifenesin): "With moderate to severe fibromyalgia for 25 years, lost my career & lived in fear of having a life to avoid a flare-up mostly sleeping bedridden 75% of time. I also have polyneuropathy, trigeminal neuralgia, occipital neuralgia, severe cervical DDD, myelopathy, etc.. have tried every antidepressant, SSRI, pain medicine, anti-inflammatory..you all know, with major side effects. Feb 2016 I got a cold on top of allergies used Mucinex daily 800 mg then up to 1600 mg & could not believe the relief even at 800! I have prayed for someone to invent a NEW MEDICINE for fibromyalgia that would work..turned out this OLD MEDICINE has returned a lot of my life to me, helps the pain, brain fog, fatigue& depression too!"

SDCalifGirl (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "My Fibro pain started 35 years ago and all the doctors shrugged their shoulders. In 2000, I was finally diagnosed and given pain and sleep medication to control the symptoms. At this point I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. When I finally climbed out of the hole, I wasn't content with just "controlling" the symptoms with medication. Yes, it put me to sleep the 1st week and made things worse but the guaifenesin worked very gradually, and over time I began to improve. This is NOT an instant fix. or cure. It takes months and even years. Over the past 16 years I have stopped taking Guaifenesin 3 times and each time I have been slammed with pain within a few weeks. The lesson is just keep taking it."

Brenda501 (taken for 10 years or more) February 16, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I have been using Guaifenesen for 10 years now. Like my Doctor said, I had initial relief, then cycled between feeling worse and better, and now my CFS / Fibro is much milder than it was. I avoid Salicylates, but accidental exposure isn't a disaster, since I am not a strong blocker. For me, it works best just before or just after mild exercise, like a 1 mile walk to work, or mowing the lawn. I take 1/4 of a COSTCO 400 mg. Tablet whenever I feel Fibro pain, or before anticipated exercise, or after unexpected exercise."

Jefflem (taken for 10 years or more) January 7, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I have been taking this medicine for 2-3 months now and although amazing results for my condition I have had constant kidney infections. I normally have no probs there so although it's amazing I have to stop taking it. Please be aware anyone that takes it!"

Ju-drop January 3, 2016

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "I would give this a zero out of ten if it was possible. I rarely get sick but I have been having a lot of trouble with a runny nose and coughing up mucus. This "medicine" doesn't do anything. Not only does it taste terrible but it's useless. Followed instructions and I'm on day 7 with the same problems. Avoid this stuff"

sy91 (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I started a store brand guaifenisin three months ago 600mg extended release 2x a day for the fibromyalgia. Within two weeks, the extreme muscle cramps in my legs, feet and torso had decreased by 95%. Now that I have been taking this for three months, my IBS symptoms have decreased. I follow the salicylate protocol meaning no aspirin or related products and have changed my toothpaste and facial products to eliminate those that might negate the guaifenisin. Have also eliminated any herbal supplements to give this a try."

elmack (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I've been in the Guaifenesin protocol for over 2 years. It's given me my life back. It's not a quick fix or a cure but it reverses the symptoms."

Carmen Slater December 2, 2015

For Cough: "helped a bit"

TUCKERDB (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "One of the best thing for coughs. The Mucinex DX green does a great job of thinning mucus as well as stopping cough. The blue is good for colds and allergies without cough. I prefer the 600 mg tables. For me, they wear off after five hours. Take with a lot of water. The more water the better it works. 16ozs every 90 minutes makes it work the best."

EricfromNC (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2015

Liqufruta Garlic Cough Medicine (guaifenesin) for Cough: "Best cough medicine ever! Fantastic taste too."

Bert the Cert November 12, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "I swear by this stuff. (I'm talking about Musinex's version of TheraFlu, it's fairly new-maybe last year it was put on the shelves) I have tried nearly every cold remedy in the history of the world from teas to drugs to more wholesome remedies but nothing has actually ever worked. This stuff actually reduces the duration of my colds and the severity of colds within the first day. Drink it in the morning and once before bed and you should be golden in 2 days. I'm more of that summertime cold-getter and it works like magic every time."

HaleyR October 28, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I am a retired nurse. I have done all of the 'research' regarding the Guaifenesin for Fibromyalgia treatment. I was diagnosed a year ago with this painful, awful disease and am unable to tolerate any of the prescribed medication available. After a friend literally stumbled upon her Mucenex treatment - having an upper respiratory infection and her Fibro pain subsided! I started on the Guaifenesin only at 600 mg a day. Not only did my pain ease up immediately - my mucous level is lower and I am confident that this will help my C.O.P.D. because I am breathing better. (Oxygen dependent at night) This OTC treatment has relieved my pain by 80%. I am sleeping better and moving easier. This works and has changed my life and attitude."

Robbiesfine777 October 19, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I agree it probably doesn't work for the reasons set forth by St.Amand, but it did work for me (complying with the salicylate ban) in the timescales he finds, as follows: 3 days of nothing Then 2.5 days of feeling great Then 7 months of feeling worse than ever Then roughly 2 years of feeling much much better, but eventually it tailed off to nothing. Still the only effective FMS/CFS medicine I've tried except for LDN."

Wolfita (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 18, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "There's enough evidence incl to indicate that Guaifenesin does not work at all as Dr. St. Amand proposes. I take it anyways for my fibromyalgia related phlegm. It might have a minor or major relaxant effect in higher doses, which explains the benefits that patients report (including some that suggest it worked instantly) but that's as far as it goes. I took it for many years in a desperate attempt to make it work as suggested and rid myself of every single salicylate with obsession. There was no experiencing of cycling or getting better. I lost a lot of money buying Mucinex long lasting and combining with short-acting, and upped the dose to 3600mg/daily at some point to no avail. I'm giving it a 1 because it is not a fibromyalgia treatment."

Didnotwork October 4, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "Went on the guaifenesin protocol years ago stopped all salicylates and mint containing products this works changed my life"

Ev5 September 19, 2015

For Cough: "no help whatsoever. I read in the old AMA Drug Evaluation Guide that it was found be no better than a placebo in blinded trials."

exon33 (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: "It works good, you will feel the congestion breaking down. It does make you cough more to loosen up mucus and yes you probably will stay up a bit a night. I took the pill not liquid. Have to say I was surprised."

DelvaDoll (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2015

For Bronchitis: "I am on my second bout of pneumonia. The constant coughing is painful. I bought this drug otc, and it is helping, a lot. I feel a bit dizzy but I will take dizzy over that constant hacking cough any day. I got this because it only has the "mucus" drug, without the extra junk in Musinex I don't need. The best part? For 15 tablets, cost only 88 cents!"

D.RL. August 27, 2015

For Cough: "I have been suffering from a severe sinus infection for 6 weeks. Antibiotics twice, 3 trips to Dr. When I was at my sickest, I was using MucinexD and it may have helped some. I felt so bad then I don't know that I would have noticed side effects. But weeks later, I was still having so much thick drainage and light headed in my throat that my Dr. told me to switch to the Mucinex (plain) thinking it was the pseudoephedrine that was causing the vertigo. My vertigo worsened and I never even thought of the medication being the cause because the Dr. had said I would be fine without the pseudoephedrine in it. Went to ER when my vertigo became alarming. All tests negative. After all that I found I am allergic to Guaifenesin."

k9odyssey (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2015