Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Guaifenesin

Also known as: Actifed CC Chesty Cough, Air Power, Allfen Jr, Altarussin, Altorant, Amibid LA, Anti-Tuss, Aquamist, Balminil Expectorant, Beechams Veno's Expectorant, Beechams Veno's for Kids Chesty Cough, Benadryl Chesty Forte, Benylin E, Bidex-400, Breonesin, ...show all 116 brand names

Learn more about Guaifenesin.

Bronchitis 25 reviews 285 medications

Bronchiectasis 0 reviews 146 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Guaifenesin reviews 87 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Guaifenesin

Review by Fbeasvlc:

For Fibromyalgia: I've been taking Guaifenesin for more than five years for fibromyalgia. It makes a definite difference. I have much less pain and depression.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2015 11:41 AM

Review by WhatIsANickName (taken for less than 1 month):

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: I took Mucinex, It works wonders but the smell/tastes of it is horrible.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 26, 2015 9:10 PM

Review by dlefebvre92 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bronchitis: Quickly and very strongly it cleared my sinus and lungs like the best antihistamine ever. It seemed to last two days.. what unexpected: relief when I needed it most. Why it worked this way I don't know. I only needed 1 tablet. Felt slightly dehydrated but it worked!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2015 10:16 PM

Review by BriellaD:

For Cough: Recently I had a horrible head cold, it wasn't serious enough to see a doctor so I started taking Mucinex D. The second day I took the pill I noticed I was on the drowsy side and my urine was foul smelling. I took it for three days, about two hours into taking the third pill I started to get leg cramps and horrible abdominal pains that lasted for almost another 24 hours. The pain was awful and made me very nervous. My cold symptoms had subsided, so yes it does work but the side effects were awful.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 3, 2015 11:39 AM

Review by windickey (taken for less than 1 month):

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: Mucinex is great for decongesting your lungs. Didn't have any part in helping my Fibromyalgia pain.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2015 2:09 AM

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: Had a terrible dry cough and Mucinex helped break the cough. It was easier for me to cough up my phlegm.

January 4, 2015 9:33 PM

Review by agrum:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: My cough was so bad that I now have an umbilical hernia but the Mucinex worked. I only took it in the morning because it did cause sleeplessness.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 31, 2014 7:50 AM

Review by JohnSS (taken for less than 1 month):

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: 52 currently, Fibromyalgia began about 16 yrs ago.. Last few years have been really tough, and in discussing at deer camp with friends, one of them mentioned Mucinex. Read up, bought the 600 and raised it to 1200's the next week. My pain is at least reduced by 50%! I'm hearing other supplements in conjunction could help even more but for the moment I'm very pleased to have been told about Mucinex!

December 29, 2014 8:59 PM

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: I've been up for hours throwing up and diarrhea after taking this.

October 20, 2014 6:28 AM

Review by jimbob 97683:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: After all the treatments I had from the doctor, nothing really suppressed the cough, which I have had for years. After taking Mucinex, my cough and the associated Phlegm has almost disappeared. I am a 74 yr old male but my side effects seem to be the opposite to others. i.e. I am doing more sleeping than normal, at any time night or day, but thank heavens for the cessation of cough.

October 15, 2014 9:46 PM

Review by Poodle Mom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: Unbelievable is all I can say! I could not have doubted this more, but after suffering night after night with horrendous back pain, I sat up at 3am searching the internet for some herb or vitamin I had dismissed the 100 other times I had sat up on the night in pain. I thought it sounded ridiculous, but no more so than anything else I had tried. I started with 1200mg and have remained on that and I feel better than I have in years. I urge you to try this. It has changed my life!

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2014 10:28 PM

Review by bj 305:

For Cough: I'm to take it regularly. I soon found out that it makes my urine smell. While that may not be too bad a deal, it also seems to make me slightly incontinent. A bad combination. It also generally makes me weak and drowsy.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2014 9:43 PM

Review by gloe:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: Couldn't believe it could be true but it was. Newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I read about Mucinex for fibromyalgia; read that it is a muscle relaxant and enhances the analgesic effect of aspirin and Tylenol; and is enhanced by magnesium. Went out and bought the 800 mg with 2 aspirin and some magnesium citrate, and it worked! The pain just seems to dissolve away. I continue to take 800mg (2, 400mg immediate release tablets) with aspirin and magnesium, three times a day, or 1200 mg twice a day.

September 19, 2014 1:25 PM

Review by komwill:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I was sick with sinus infection and was taking Mucinex. I thought to myself, I am going to be extra sore since I am home from work and resting more than usual because I was not feeling well. I was shocked when after taking Mucinex for a few days, my pain was gone. No more tender spots. My arms had been really bad lately and when I touched them, they were no longer sore. I had no idea of the connection at the time. I googled Mucinex and was amazed that I found studies that something for a cold could possibly help with fibromyalgia. I stopped taking it and the symptoms came back so I started taking it again. I take 2-3 400mg a day. I call this experience accidentally on purpose. It may not work for everyone as we're all different but its worth trying.

September 16, 2014 12:48 PM

Review by JanChilt (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bronchitis: I have COPD and have been using guaifenesin for several years. It works wonders and for coughs, I think the liquid soothes your throat better. BUT IT IS IMPORTANT NOT to get the "DM" or any version of it with dextromethorphan in it. Those of you having dream disturbances or nervous reactions are surely using this. You want to buy the plain "TUSSIN" that is only an expectorant and nothing else. Also drink plenty of fluids to help liquidize the mucus. I will swear by this stuff, but you have to read the labels and be careful what you buy.

August 24, 2014 2:00 PM

Review by Dilli (taken for less than 1 month):

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: The side effect was sleeplessness. First night, I was up until 4:00 AM, next night up until 07:00AM and again last night I could not sleep. I was taking the Mucinex as prescribed every 12 hours.

July 17, 2014 3:58 PM

Review by Melody11728:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: With moderate to severe fibromyalgia for 12 years I lost my career and lived in fear of having a life to avoid a flare-up. I have tried every antidepressant, serotonin uptake inhibitor, pain medicine, anti-inflammatory.... you all know, with major side effects that only contributed to fibromyalgia symptoms. March 2014 I got a cold and used Mucinex for the first time and could not believe the relief. I have prayed for someone to invent a NEW MEDICINE for fibromyalgia that would work and it turned out this OLD MEDICINE has returned my life to me. Thank God for Mucinex!

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2014 8:34 PM

Review by AmitPAmin:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I've tried dozens of therapies and medicines. Mucinex does better than them all. Since taking it, my pain levels have gone down by 90%. Mucinex doesn't work for everyone. But it's cheap and over the counter. What's the harm in trying? I wish a doctor or website had suggested I try it - would have saved me years of pain.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 15, 2014 6:54 PM

Review by nina2:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I started using 1200mg 2x a day about 5 days ago and it really works. I can't believe it truly works.

May 19, 2014 1:12 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Fibromyalgia: Guaifenesin really does work. I'm a 26 year old female recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I have been to several doctors within the past several months because of the pain that Fibromyalgia has caused. Out of all the potentially harmful meds I've been prescribed, this is the only medication that has actually helped and to this day continues to help. I have used Mucinex for over a month without any side effects. It has also helped with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, acid reflux. I would highly recommend this to anyone suffering from a terrible disease such as Fibromyalgia.

May 18, 2014 9:19 AM

Review by cartown48 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bronchitis: I have bronchial Asthma, I thought I I had bronchitis, I took Guaifenesin for it, it felt like my bronchials were closing up on me, I had to call my dr to tell him to get me prednisone. I took just a half tab of Guaifenesin before I went to bed, I woke up spasing, I couldn't breath. I had a do a couple of nebulizer treatments, take a prednisone to open me up. I called my doctor, he said don't take it anymore.

April 1, 2014 1:53 PM

Review by Ninasell198:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I also take Mucinex and have since 2003. As I have read the reviews I have not read any mention of having to remove salicylates from all topical products. Been on Guiafenesin for 10 years and has helped me greatly.

March 20, 2014 11:05 PM

Review by Fibromel:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I had a terrible experience with Mucinex. I followed the protocol for just over 1 month hoping to feel some relief but I felt really heavy, like I had a bad flu, and had worse pain. I think most people are experiencing relief so give it a shot; it just didn't help me.

March 20, 2014 2:16 PM

Review by SaraJF (taken for less than 1 month):

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: I took Mucinex for a bad case of bronchitis. It worked very well and I was finally able to stop coughing and start breathing again. The only problem was that it interfered with my sleep. I was awake most of the night and was not tired the next day. I had to quit taking it.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2014 6:07 AM

Review by melroseave:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: Took this medication for a chest cough before I went to bed. Woke up in the night with severe nausea and felt dizzy. Tried it again a week later and same happened. I know other people who swear by it.

February 23, 2014 8:14 AM