User Reviews for Guaifenesin

Also known as: Actifed CC Chesty Cough, Air Power, Allfen Jr, Altarussin, Altorant, Amibid LA, Anti-Tuss, Aquamist, Balminil Expectorant, Beechams Veno's Expectorant, Beechams Veno's for Kids Chesty Cough, Benadryl Chesty Forte, Benylin E, Bidex-400, Breonesin, ...show all 118 brand names

Learn more about Guaifenesin.

Bronchitis 25 reviews 286 medications

Fibromyalgia 41 reviews 21 medications

7.8
Cough 25 reviews 776 medications

7.4
Bronchiectasis 0 reviews 148 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Guaifenesin reviews 91 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Guaifenesin

For Cough: "Initially it seemed to work wonders, but I cough when I really do not need to do so. I cannot get any sleep, I am nervous, and I been thinking I am going nuts!! I am stopping it immediately. It clears up the mucus but the side effects are horrible."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I've had Fibro for 15 years, I tried guaifenesin years ago, but not regularly. I was on Lyrica And Cymbalta, but the side effects are awful. I started guaifenesin (mucinex) again less than a month ago. So far, I feel great. I still have pain, but I can move now. The pain isn't debilitating like it was. It even help my mood, which has been a huge struggle for me lately. Im taking 400mg twice daily for now. I can only have hope. Right????"

Sandra Toz (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for : "For Fibromyalgia: I have been taking two 600 mg tabs per day of the 100% guafenesin Mucinex since June 2014. Previously was on Lyrica (I now have liver damage I think was caused from that and Cymbalta) which really didn't seem to help much. Can't claim to be totally pain free because it appears I have a "weather" body. Whenever a high pressure storm system comes in, my pain levels go up. I am convinced however that guafenesin therapy works. I have seen other websites that say it is only having a placebo effect, but then how do you explain those people who accidentally helped themselves stop fibro pain when they took it for sinus problems? I now have to be very careful what I take due to liver problems and guaf has no side effects... So? :)"

Joy M (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "Today my doctor told me to try Guaifenesin for fibromyalgia. I'm thankful for all the reviews offered here especially the one saying to purchase the single ingredient product to be safe. I get a lot of side effects. I purchased the store brand Tussin which only has Guaifenesin as the active ingredient. I'm starting today and I'm very optimistic about improvement. I will post another review as soon as I can see the benefits."

NewKai2015 April 8, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "I have been taking Mucinex for about 5 months.... one in a.m. and another at 8pm. I took it because I could not swallow any phlegm and it was difficult coughing it up. My esophagus muscles are very weak and the phlegm would block my air waves. Recently I have developed severe dry mouth as a side affect. I stopped the p.m. pill, and use biotene gel, toothpaste and mouth rinse.... still no relief. If anyone has had this problem, please let me know."

Mattie138 March 24, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I've been taking Guaifenesin for more than five years for fibromyalgia. It makes a definite difference. I have much less pain and depression."

Fbeasvlc March 11, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: "I took Mucinex, It works wonders but the smell/tastes of it is horrible."

WhatIsANickName (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2015

For Bronchitis: "Quickly and very strongly it cleared my sinus and lungs like the best antihistamine ever. It seemed to last two days.. what unexpected: relief when I needed it most. Why it worked this way I don't know. I only needed 1 tablet. Felt slightly dehydrated but it worked! "

dlefebvre92 (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2015

For Cough: "Recently I had a horrible head cold, it wasn't serious enough to see a doctor so I started taking Mucinex D. The second day I took the pill I noticed I was on the drowsy side and my urine was foul smelling. I took it for three days, about two hours into taking the third pill I started to get leg cramps and horrible abdominal pains that lasted for almost another 24 hours. The pain was awful and made me very nervous. My cold symptoms had subsided, so yes it does work but the side effects were awful."

BriellaD February 3, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: "Mucinex is great for decongesting your lungs. Didn't have any part in helping my Fibromyalgia pain."

windickey (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "Had a terrible dry cough and Mucinex helped break the cough. It was easier for me to cough up my phlegm."

Anonymous January 4, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "My cough was so bad that I now have an umbilical hernia but the Mucinex worked. I only took it in the morning because it did cause sleeplessness."

agrum December 31, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: "52 currently, Fibromyalgia began about 16 yrs ago.. Last few years have been really tough, and in discussing at deer camp with friends, one of them mentioned Mucinex. Read up, bought the 600 and raised it to 1200's the next week. My pain is at least reduced by 50%! I'm hearing other supplements in conjunction could help even more but for the moment I'm very pleased to have been told about Mucinex!"

JohnSS (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "I've been up for hours throwing up and diarrhea after taking this."

Anonymous October 20, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "After all the treatments I had from the doctor, nothing really suppressed the cough, which I have had for years. After taking Mucinex, my cough and the associated Phlegm has almost disappeared. I am a 74 yr old male but my side effects seem to be the opposite to others. i.e. I am doing more sleeping than normal, at any time night or day, but thank heavens for the cessation of cough."

jimbob 97683 October 15, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: "Unbelievable is all I can say! I could not have doubted this more, but after suffering night after night with horrendous back pain, I sat up at 3am searching the internet for some herb or vitamin I had dismissed the 100 other times I had sat up on the night in pain. I thought it sounded ridiculous, but no more so than anything else I had tried. I started with 1200mg and have remained on that and I feel better than I have in years. I urge you to try this. It has changed my life!"

Poodle Mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2014

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Cough: "I'm to take it regularly. I soon found out that it makes my urine smell. While that may not be too bad a deal, it also seems to make me slightly incontinent. A bad combination. It also generally makes me weak and drowsy."

bj 305 September 23, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: "Couldn't believe it could be true but it was. Newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I read about Mucinex for fibromyalgia; read that it is a muscle relaxant and enhances the analgesic effect of aspirin and Tylenol; and is enhanced by magnesium. Went out and bought the 800 mg with 2 aspirin and some magnesium citrate, and it worked! The pain just seems to dissolve away. I continue to take 800mg (2, 400mg immediate release tablets) with aspirin and magnesium, three times a day, or 1200 mg twice a day. "

gloe September 19, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: "I was sick with sinus infection and was taking Mucinex. I thought to myself, I am going to be extra sore since I am home from work and resting more than usual because I was not feeling well. I was shocked when after taking Mucinex for a few days, my pain was gone. No more tender spots. My arms had been really bad lately and when I touched them, they were no longer sore. I had no idea of the connection at the time. I googled Mucinex and was amazed that I found studies that something for a cold could possibly help with fibromyalgia. I stopped taking it and the symptoms came back so I started taking it again. I take 2-3 400mg a day. I call this experience accidentally on purpose. It may not work for everyone as we're all different but its worth trying."

komwill September 16, 2014

For Bronchitis: "I have COPD and have been using guaifenesin for several years. It works wonders and for coughs, I think the liquid soothes your throat better. BUT IT IS IMPORTANT NOT to get the "DM" or any version of it with dextromethorphan in it. Those of you having dream disturbances or nervous reactions are surely using this. You want to buy the plain "TUSSIN" that is only an expectorant and nothing else. Also drink plenty of fluids to help liquidize the mucus. I will swear by this stuff, but you have to read the labels and be careful what you buy. "

JanChilt (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 24, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "The side effect was sleeplessness. First night, I was up until 4:00 AM, next night up until 07:00AM and again last night I could not sleep. I was taking the Mucinex as prescribed every 12 hours."

Dilli (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: "With moderate to severe fibromyalgia for 12 years I lost my career and lived in fear of having a life to avoid a flare-up. I have tried every antidepressant, serotonin uptake inhibitor, pain medicine, anti-inflammatory.... you all know, with major side effects that only contributed to fibromyalgia symptoms. March 2014 I got a cold and used Mucinex for the first time and could not believe the relief. I have prayed for someone to invent a NEW MEDICINE for fibromyalgia that would work and it turned out this OLD MEDICINE has returned my life to me. Thank God for Mucinex!"

Melody11728 July 5, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: "I've tried dozens of therapies and medicines. Mucinex does better than them all. Since taking it, my pain levels have gone down by 90%. Mucinex doesn't work for everyone. But it's cheap and over the counter. What's the harm in trying? I wish a doctor or website had suggested I try it - would have saved me years of pain."

AmitPAmin June 15, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: "I started using 1200mg 2x a day about 5 days ago and it really works. I can't believe it truly works."

nina2 May 19, 2014

For Fibromyalgia: "Guaifenesin really does work. I'm a 26 year old female recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I have been to several doctors within the past several months because of the pain that Fibromyalgia has caused. Out of all the potentially harmful meds I've been prescribed, this is the only medication that has actually helped and to this day continues to help. I have used Mucinex for over a month without any side effects. It has also helped with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, acid reflux. I would highly recommend this to anyone suffering from a terrible disease such as Fibromyalgia."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2014