User Reviews for Guaifenesin

Also known as: Actifed CC Chesty Cough, Air Power, Allfen Jr, Altarussin, Altorant, Amibid LA, Anti-Tuss, Aquamist, Balminil Expectorant, Beechams Veno's Expectorant, Beechams Veno's for Kids Chesty Cough, Benadryl Chesty Forte, Benylin E, Bidex-400, Breonesin, ...show all 111 brand names

Learn more about Guaifenesin.

Bronchitis 23 reviews 279 medications

Fibromyalgia 36 reviews 72 medications

Cough 19 reviews 741 medications

7.4
Bronchiectasis 0 reviews 141 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Guaifenesin reviews 78 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Guaifenesin

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: I've been up for hours throwing up and diarrhea after taking this.

October 20, 2014 6:28 AM

Review by Poodle Mom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: Unbelievable is all I can say! I could not have doubted this more, but after suffering night after night with horrendous back pain, I sat up at 3am searching the internet for some herb or vitamin I had dismissed the 100 other times I had sat up on the night in pain. I thought it sounded ridiculous, but no more so than anything else I had tried. I started with 1200mg and have remained on that and I feel better than I have in years. I urge you to try this. It has changed my life!

October 5, 2014 10:28 PM

Review by bj 305:

For Cough: I'm to take it regularly. I soon found out that it makes my urine smell. While that may not be too bad a deal, it also seems to make me slightly incontinent. A bad combination. It also generally makes me weak and drowsy.

September 23, 2014 9:43 PM

Review by gloe:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: Couldn't believe it could be true but it was. Newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I read about Mucinex for fibromyalgia; read that it is a muscle relaxant and enhances the analgesic effect of aspirin and Tylenol; and is enhanced by magnesium. Went out and bought the 800 mg with 2 aspirin and some magnesium citrate, and it worked! The pain just seems to dissolve away. I continue to take 800mg (2, 400mg immediate release tablets) with aspirin and magnesium, three times a day, or 1200 mg twice a day.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 19, 2014 1:25 PM

Review by komwill:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I was sick with sinus infection and was taking Mucinex. I thought to myself, I am going to be extra sore since I am home from work and resting more than usual because I was not feeling well. I was shocked when after taking Mucinex for a few days, my pain was gone. No more tender spots. My arms had been really bad lately and when I touched them, they were no longer sore. I had no idea of the connection at the time. I googled Mucinex and was amazed that I found studies that something for a cold could possibly help with fibromyalgia. I stopped taking it and the symptoms came back so I started taking it again. I take 2-3 400mg a day. I call this experience accidentally on purpose. It may not work for everyone as we're all different but its worth trying.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 16, 2014 12:48 PM

Review by JanChilt (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bronchitis: I have COPD and have been using guaifenesin for several years. It works wonders and for coughs, I think the liquid soothes your throat better. BUT IT IS IMPORTANT NOT to get the "DM" or any version of it with dextromethorphan in it. Those of you having dream disturbances or nervous reactions are surely using this. You want to buy the plain "TUSSIN" that is only an expectorant and nothing else. Also drink plenty of fluids to help liquidize the mucus. I will swear by this stuff, but you have to read the labels and be careful what you buy.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 24, 2014 2:00 PM

Review by Dilli (taken for less than 1 month):

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: The side effect was sleeplessness. First night, I was up until 4:00 AM, next night up until 07:00AM and again last night I could not sleep. I was taking the Mucinex as prescribed every 12 hours.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2014 3:58 PM

Review by Melody11728:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: With moderate to severe fibromyalgia for 12 years I lost my career and lived in fear of having a life to avoid a flare-up. I have tried every antidepressant, serotonin uptake inhibitor, pain medicine, anti-inflammatory.... you all know, with major side effects that only contributed to fibromyalgia symptoms. March 2014 I got a cold and used Mucinex for the first time and could not believe the relief. I have prayed for someone to invent a NEW MEDICINE for fibromyalgia that would work and it turned out this OLD MEDICINE has returned my life to me. Thank God for Mucinex!

July 5, 2014 8:34 PM

Review by AmitPAmin:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I've tried dozens of therapies and medicines. Mucinex does better than them all. Since taking it, my pain levels have gone down by 90%. Mucinex doesn't work for everyone. But it's cheap and over the counter. What's the harm in trying? I wish a doctor or website had suggested I try it - would have saved me years of pain.

June 15, 2014 6:54 PM

Review by nina2:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I started using 1200mg 2x a day about 5 days ago and it really works. I can't believe it truly works.

May 19, 2014 1:12 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Fibromyalgia: Guaifenesin really does work. I'm a 26 year old female recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I have been to several doctors within the past several months because of the pain that Fibromyalgia has caused. Out of all the potentially harmful meds I've been prescribed, this is the only medication that has actually helped and to this day continues to help. I have used Mucinex for over a month without any side effects. It has also helped with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, acid reflux. I would highly recommend this to anyone suffering from a terrible disease such as Fibromyalgia.

May 18, 2014 9:19 AM

Review by cartown48 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bronchitis: I have bronchial Asthma, I thought I I had bronchitis, I took Guaifenesin for it, it felt like my bronchials were closing up on me, I had to call my dr to tell him to get me prednisone. I took just a half tab of Guaifenesin before I went to bed, I woke up spasing, I couldn't breath. I had a do a couple of nebulizer treatments, take a prednisone to open me up. I called my doctor, he said don't take it anymore.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2014 1:53 PM

Review by Ninasell198:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I also take Mucinex and have since 2003. As I have read the reviews I have not read any mention of having to remove salicylates from all topical products. Been on Guiafenesin for 10 years and has helped me greatly.

March 20, 2014 11:05 PM

Review by Fibromel:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I had a terrible experience with Mucinex. I followed the protocol for just over 1 month hoping to feel some relief but I felt really heavy, like I had a bad flu, and had worse pain. I think most people are experiencing relief so give it a shot; it just didn't help me.

March 20, 2014 2:16 PM

Review by SaraJF (taken for less than 1 month):

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: I took Mucinex for a bad case of bronchitis. It worked very well and I was finally able to stop coughing and start breathing again. The only problem was that it interfered with my sleep. I was awake most of the night and was not tired the next day. I had to quit taking it.

March 4, 2014 6:07 AM

Review by melroseave:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: Took this medication for a chest cough before I went to bed. Woke up in the night with severe nausea and felt dizzy. Tried it again a week later and same happened. I know other people who swear by it.

February 23, 2014 8:14 AM

Review by CallMeJane (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Fibromyalgia: Suffered with pain and fatigue entire adult life, but in 2008 I was bedridden from fibromyalgia & fatigue. This is not a quick fix, nor is it a cure. It is a treatment I will use for the rest of my life. The protocol is complicated and can be expensive, depending on your required dose. I had eat a low-carb diet to control my fatigue. Each year since 2008 has been measurably better. This protocol is most difficult for the "natural" crowd - no herbal supplements, must avoid most "natural" skin products - but for me it has been well worth it. I am stronger and in less pain than when I started this. Most important, I am not bedridden.

December 27, 2013 7:25 PM

Review by nascar18 (taken for less than 1 month):

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: Mucinex is great and it works well but whatever you do, DO NOT take it on an empty stomach. I did this morning and as the day went by I kept feeling worse and worse. When I finally got the chance to eat something, my stomach was so upset that it just came right back up. Again, its a great medication but eat something before taking it.

November 22, 2013 6:24 PM

Review by Stacie Jung:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I have been in terrible and increasing pain since last September. I have had hip and spinal X-rays and MRIs and they show slight arthritis and little else. I had an injection of cortisone in my left hip and now the doctor is recommending a shot to my spine. The pain is so bad, that lately I've been reduced to tears. I went from surfing in August to hobbling in September and the doctors treat me like I'm this no activity couch potato who deserves to feel horrible because I'm getting old and I need to lose weight. Sure I do, I've gained 30 pounds in the last year because I can barely walk. Well, I tried Guaifenesin this afternoon because and it made me fall asleep, and when I woke up, THE PAIN WAS GONE!

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 20, 2013 5:29 PM

Review by Sickgranny:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: I had runny nose, blocked ears, headache, sore throat with mucus, Its great! I took one pill and saw relief, so 4 hours later I took the second one. Now I am wide awake. It's almost 4 am. Take it earlier.

June 9, 2013 3:49 AM

Review by Lar999:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: Works ok, but for serious cough problems get prescription level medicine. Does help bring up phlegm. drink lots of water, will help bring up the mucus faster.

June 7, 2013 3:02 PM

Review by fibro(my)gia on facebook (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I regained my life by following the guaifenesin protocol. You MUST take single ingredient guaifenesin with no added meds in order to be safe!

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 22, 2013 6:47 PM

Review by Trout Lover (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Fibromyalgia: A few years ago I took Mucinex for a cough before going on a hike. I noticed that after the hike I didn't hurt as much and my recovery time was much shorter. I had bad leg and back pain at the time. A few months ago I got Q-Tussin for a cough. Wow! For the first time in years I had the desire to clean the house and I was able to. I looked up other uses for guaifenesin and there it was - it helps with fibromyalgia. I have since been diagnosed with fibro and I try to take the 600 mg of Mucinex twice a day. It may not work for everyone but it makes me a functioning human being again. I am much happier, in less pain, and my irritable bowel syndrome has cleared up.

May 22, 2013 3:56 PM

Review by sutraquio (taken for less than 1 month):

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: Actually I was using Mucinex to control a nagging night time cough. Although I had extreme pain in my ankles and legs EVERY SINGLE DAY, I never dreamed that Mucinex would have any effect as to helping that. I took a dose of the Mucinex FastMax just before I went to bed and WOW, no cough AND no leg pain at all that night, at last I was pain free! I know it had to be the Mucinex because absolutely nothing else had made a difference! I will keep some on hand to use from now on. I hope this helps someone else also. Thank you.

May 3, 2013 7:05 AM

Review by mixbrix (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bronchitis: After 33 radiation treatments of throat for cancer, the mucus situation had gotten ridiculous. Sometimes it would actually make it hard to breath. Doctor prescribed Guaifenesin, and it's worked wonders! The prescribed dosage for me is 600 mg 3 to 4 times a day.

May 1, 2013 9:36 AM