Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Guaifenesin

Also known as: Actifed CC Chesty Cough, Air Power, Allfen Jr, Altarussin, Altorant, Amibid LA, Anti-Tuss, Aquamist, Balminil Expectorant, Beechams Veno's Expectorant, Beechams Veno's for Kids Chesty Cough, Benadryl Chesty Forte, Benylin E, Bidex-400, Breonesin, ...show all 111 brand names

Learn more about Guaifenesin.

Bronchitis 22 reviews 278 medications

Bronchiectasis 0 reviews 141 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Guaifenesin reviews 72 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Guaifenesin

Review by Dilli (taken for less than 1 month):

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: The side effect was sleeplessness. First night, I was up until 4:00 AM, next night up until 07:00AM and again last night I could not sleep. I was taking the Mucinex as prescribed every 12 hours.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2014 3:58 PM

Review by Melody11728:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: With moderate to severe fibromyalgia for 12 years I lost my career and lived in fear of having a life to avoid a flare-up. I have tried every antidepressant, serotonin uptake inhibitor, pain medicine, anti-inflammatory.... you all know, with major side effects that only contributed to fibromyalgia symptoms. March 2014 I got a cold and used Mucinex for the first time and could not believe the relief. I have prayed for someone to invent a NEW MEDICINE for fibromyalgia that would work and it turned out this OLD MEDICINE has returned my life to me. Thank God for Mucinex!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2014 8:34 PM

Review by AmitPAmin:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I've tried dozens of therapies and medicines. Mucinex does better than them all. Since taking it, my pain levels have gone down by 90%. Mucinex doesn't work for everyone. But it's cheap and over the counter. What's the harm in trying? I wish a doctor or website had suggested I try it - would have saved me years of pain.

June 15, 2014 6:54 PM

Review by nina2:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I started using 1200mg 2x a day about 5 days ago and it really works. I can't believe it truly works.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 19, 2014 1:12 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Fibromyalgia: Guaifenesin really does work. I'm a 26 year old female recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I have been to several doctors within the past several months because of the pain that Fibromyalgia has caused. Out of all the potentially harmful meds I've been prescribed, this is the only medication that has actually helped and to this day continues to help. I have used Mucinex for over a month without any side effects. It has also helped with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, acid reflux. I would highly recommend this to anyone suffering from a terrible disease such as Fibromyalgia.

May 18, 2014 9:19 AM

Review by cartown48 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bronchitis: I have bronchial Asthma, I thought I I had bronchitis, I took Guaifenesin for it, it felt like my bronchials were closing up on me, I had to call my dr to tell him to get me prednisone. I took just a half tab of Guaifenesin before I went to bed, I woke up spasing, I couldn't breath. I had a do a couple of nebulizer treatments, take a prednisone to open me up. I called my doctor, he said don't take it anymore.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2014 1:53 PM

Review by Ninasell198:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I also take Mucinex and have since 2003. As I have read the reviews I have not read any mention of having to remove salicylates from all topical products. Been on Guiafenesin for 10 years and has helped me greatly.

March 20, 2014 11:05 PM

Review by Fibromel:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I had a terrible experience with Mucinex. I followed the protocol for just over 1 month hoping to feel some relief but I felt really heavy, like I had a bad flu, and had worse pain. I think most people are experiencing relief so give it a shot; it just didn't help me.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2014 2:16 PM

Review by SaraJF (taken for less than 1 month):

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: I took Mucinex for a bad case of bronchitis. It worked very well and I was finally able to stop coughing and start breathing again. The only problem was that it interfered with my sleep. I was awake most of the night and was not tired the next day. I had to quit taking it.

March 4, 2014 6:07 AM

Review by melroseave:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: Took this medication for a chest cough before I went to bed. Woke up in the night with severe nausea and felt dizzy. Tried it again a week later and same happened. I know other people who swear by it.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 23, 2014 8:14 AM

Review by CallMeJane (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Fibromyalgia: Suffered with pain and fatigue entire adult life, but in 2008 I was bedridden from fibromyalgia & fatigue. This is not a quick fix, nor is it a cure. It is a treatment I will use for the rest of my life. The protocol is complicated and can be expensive, depending on your required dose. I had eat a low-carb diet to control my fatigue. Each year since 2008 has been measurably better. This protocol is most difficult for the "natural" crowd - no herbal supplements, must avoid most "natural" skin products - but for me it has been well worth it. I am stronger and in less pain than when I started this. Most important, I am not bedridden.

December 27, 2013 7:25 PM

Review by nascar18 (taken for less than 1 month):

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: Mucinex is great and it works well but whatever you do, DO NOT take it on an empty stomach. I did this morning and as the day went by I kept feeling worse and worse. When I finally got the chance to eat something, my stomach was so upset that it just came right back up. Again, its a great medication but eat something before taking it.

November 22, 2013 6:24 PM

Review by Stacie Jung:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I have been in terrible and increasing pain since last September. I have had hip and spinal X-rays and MRIs and they show slight arthritis and little else. I had an injection of cortisone in my left hip and now the doctor is recommending a shot to my spine. The pain is so bad, that lately I've been reduced to tears. I went from surfing in August to hobbling in September and the doctors treat me like I'm this no activity couch potato who deserves to feel horrible because I'm getting old and I need to lose weight. Sure I do, I've gained 30 pounds in the last year because I can barely walk. Well, I tried Guaifenesin this afternoon because and it made me fall asleep, and when I woke up, THE PAIN WAS GONE!

June 20, 2013 5:29 PM

Review by Sickgranny:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: I had runny nose, blocked ears, headache, sore throat with mucus, Its great! I took one pill and saw relief, so 4 hours later I took the second one. Now I am wide awake. It's almost 4 am. Take it earlier.

June 9, 2013 3:49 AM

Review by Lar999:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: Works ok, but for serious cough problems get prescription level medicine. Does help bring up phlegm. drink lots of water, will help bring up the mucus faster.

June 7, 2013 3:02 PM

Review by fibro(my)gia on facebook (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I regained my life by following the guaifenesin protocol. You MUST take single ingredient guaifenesin with no added meds in order to be safe!

May 22, 2013 6:47 PM

Review by Trout Lover (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Fibromyalgia: A few years ago I took Mucinex for a cough before going on a hike. I noticed that after the hike I didn't hurt as much and my recovery time was much shorter. I had bad leg and back pain at the time. A few months ago I got Q-Tussin for a cough. Wow! For the first time in years I had the desire to clean the house and I was able to. I looked up other uses for guaifenesin and there it was - it helps with fibromyalgia. I have since been diagnosed with fibro and I try to take the 600 mg of Mucinex twice a day. It may not work for everyone but it makes me a functioning human being again. I am much happier, in less pain, and my irritable bowel syndrome has cleared up.

May 22, 2013 3:56 PM

Review by sutraquio (taken for less than 1 month):

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: Actually I was using Mucinex to control a nagging night time cough. Although I had extreme pain in my ankles and legs EVERY SINGLE DAY, I never dreamed that Mucinex would have any effect as to helping that. I took a dose of the Mucinex FastMax just before I went to bed and WOW, no cough AND no leg pain at all that night, at last I was pain free! I know it had to be the Mucinex because absolutely nothing else had made a difference! I will keep some on hand to use from now on. I hope this helps someone else also. Thank you.

May 3, 2013 7:05 AM

Review by mixbrix (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bronchitis: After 33 radiation treatments of throat for cancer, the mucus situation had gotten ridiculous. Sometimes it would actually make it hard to breath. Doctor prescribed Guaifenesin, and it's worked wonders! The prescribed dosage for me is 600 mg 3 to 4 times a day.

May 1, 2013 9:36 AM

Review by dotsbaby:

For Bronchitis: Guaifenesin is great for my bronchitis. But, I have learned, that whether I take the liquid or tablet, I must eat 1st. If I take this on an empty stomach, which is what I did about an hour ago, I have such a reaction it almost puts me on my knees. Luckily, within 15 mins of realizing what was going on, I was able to get something to eat. The 1st reaction was almost 20 years ago with the liquid, I ended up in the ER. I didn't know what was wrong. Today I took a pill on an empty stomach & my stomach began to cramp severely within a short time. This was a sinus/mucous relief tablet with guaifenesin. I'm okay now, but do not take guaifenesin on empty stomach! You don't want to try it first. I'll keep taking it, but eating first.

April 24, 2013 10:36 AM

Review by Bronchitis Bob:

For Bronchitis: When I was using it in cough syrup without measuring it, I sometimes got a headache. However, taking the recommended maximum dose of 6 tablets per day (that is, every 4 hours), I have had no side effects except for a bit of mental fuzziness. It really helps me to expectorate thick mucus. A great side benefit is not having to endure that horrible taste that guaifenesin has! Very inexpensive (less than 15 cents per day) and very helpful for non-productive cough!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 30, 2013 2:52 PM

Review by LG131:

For Cough: Worked wonders for helping upper airway congestion! HOWEVER extreme disturbing dreams felt like I was going crazy! Dizzy and scatter brained, this was about 10 hours after taking 1.

January 28, 2013 9:53 AM

Review by JessUhCuh:

For Bronchitis: This medicine works wonders! I'd defitnitely give it a 10 had it not gave me a bit of upset stomach. I think I may have been taking too much. I will continue to take this medication anytime I feel needed. I get it at Wal-mart. Mucus doesn't stand a chance when it comes to Guaifenesin!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 7, 2012 9:51 AM

Review by viannep1961 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: This is the only medicine that helped take care of the symptoms I had from Fibromyalgia, with no side effects

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 13, 2012 4:51 PM

Review by LivingWithFibro:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I was diagnosed at 20 and put on muscle relaxers and pain killers that did nothing more than immobilize me. I read about the guaifenesin treatment and asked my doctor for a prescription. I started at 1200mg extended release 2x daily. FINALLY I had my life back. When Mucinex took away the generic option, I dropped to 600mg 2x daily, and it still does the trick. 12 years later, I still swear by it. I have occasional set backs, but I always bounce back within a week.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2012 10:05 PM