User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of Hot Flashes.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Hot Flashes

"At 27 my ovaries were removed which sent me into abrupt and severe menopause. For 9 years I suffered debilitating hot flashes and not even the hormones seemed to work. Few doctors were comfortable prescribing them anyway, I often had to beg for my medication. About two weeks ago I began taking Prozac, and noticed almost immediately my flashes were less frequent, less intense, and less in duration. Last night I covered up in bed and waited purposefully for the flash. All I felt was a warming and never even broke a sweat. Usually I get so hot my skin feels like it's being pricked because my capillaries are bursting. The flashes are gone. After a decade of suffering I'm finally free. I wish a doctor would have told me this information before."

happy lady 2016 May 7, 2016

"I knew years ago when I started on fluoxetine for depression and anxiety how it helped my hot flushes (as we in NZ call them) not only that but it helped by fibromyalgia. So it killed not two birds with one stone but 3. I tried to come off the drug last year by weaning myself for 8 months. Wasn't successful so went back on them. More so just recently I was given Lovan at the chemist and never thought much of it being another generic of Prozac. But, I started to go down hill, with anxiety, sore bones, headaches and worse of all hot flushes. Finally I put 2 and 2 together and realised it was the Lovan. So now I'm back on fluoxetine. So being Generic doesn't mean the same for everybody! This should be publised more for all."

kiwikazza (taken for 10 years or more) May 1, 2016

"I started taking Fluoxetine for depression and realized a week or so later my hot flashes decreased in intensity and frequency. I thought I was imagining until I found this site and read the comments. 20m has made me a happier, more comfortable person!"

Jan K April 12, 2016

"Started the drug for anxiety related to perimenopause. Hot flashes have only increased in number and severity. The meds don't seem to do anything to help."

drkk April 6, 2016

"I didn't want to take hormones for hot flashes but the hot flashes were bad enough that I was going to try hormone therapy anyway. My family doctor suggested fluoxetine or Prozac for hot flashes. I had never heard of taking an antidepressant for hot flashes before so I studied before saying yes. It started working after just a few days. I have occasional hot flashes that are milder than before an way way less frequent. 20 mg is the dose that works for me. I tried reducing to 10 mg for a few months but it didn't work as well as the 20 mg. I have been on this for 16 months now. On the flip side it has also helped with some anxiety issues I didn't realize I was experiencing. : )"

radicalbuff February 12, 2016

"I was having hot flashes every night from being peri-menopause and I recently started on 20 mg of prozac. It took approximately 3 weeks for it to start working and I swear by it by the 4th week not one hot flash. I am feeling so much relief from prozac. Not only have my hot flashes gone away but my moods are stable and I feel great!"

Floq (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2016

"I have been having SEVERE hot flashes for about a year, mild ones for a year before that. I can't take the normal meds due to high risk of breast cancer so my PCP put me on Prozac. I thought to myself there was no way it would help but after 2 days I noticed a big difference, and after 5 days they are nearly gone, I'm on 10 mg D. I take it in the morning."

LJSrmr2010 November 11, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Actually felt cold on a summer day and had to put on a sweater (5 days into medication). Perhaps it is a good medicine for the hot flashes."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2012

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was told for years Prozac would be great for me. When my doctor told me about Prozac for my hot flashes I signed on ASAP. I was hoping for a double whamie. Yes, they took care of the hot flashes rather quickly and the happiness side a bit later. I am on 10mg and would like to get a larger dosage. Next conversation with the doctor. TRY IT."

lavt0422 September 28, 2011

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Prozac (fluoxetine) I have been taking 10mg every 3 days for hot flashes for 2 years now. It has worked very well for me. I also don't have the mood swings. When I was taking 20mg everyday it was to much, So I talked with my doctor and changed it around. If you are having problems you may be taking to much. Talk to your doctor I did and I feel great."

alrolly September 20, 2009

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate