User Reviews for Efudex

Keratosis 15 reviews 16 medications

7.5
Summary of Efudex reviews 26 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Efudex

For Basal Cell Carcinoma "This is my third time over the past 10 years doing this treatment. I'm scheduled for 4-6 weeks treating my legs, stomach and chest areas. I like that the medication seeks out and treats damaged skin only. My stomach has only 3 small spots. However my legs and chest area that have been far more exposed to sun have a much more aggressive reaction. The pain, redness, swelling and sores are extremely painful however my history reminds me that in 3-4 weeks I will be finished and my skin will look and be much better. Skin cancer gone and baby smooth new skin. It's affordable, and a more complete overall treatment that definitely works. Stick with the plan you don't be disappointed !!"

Caroline B May 2, 2016

For Actinic Keratosis "I was prescribed Efudex to treat various Actinic Keratoses on my forehead and balding front pate. Firstly my overall rating is that the treatment is very effective and I now have a beautiful forehead of smooth skin after 2 weeks 2 days of treatment and 2 weeks of recovery post treatment. It may be that my skin damage was mild. In any event I found the process quite bearable.I applied the cream sparingly night and morning and there was little to see for 3 or 4 days, skin then reddened and peeled/flaked - no ulceration or discharge. Although unsightly (looked like a bright rash) as a male I was still happy to go out and socialise. I used my wife's hair colourant plastic protective gloves but still washed hands thoroughly after use. Happy."

cooloperator (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

For Keratosis "Can someone help me? I have been using Efudex once a day for 5 weeks and nothing is happening. Wondering if I should try using it twice a day or wait untill I see my doctor?"

The a April 8, 2016

For Actinic Keratosis "I am a 70 year old male who suffers from Actinick Keratosis from exposure to the harsh rays of the sun. Efudex is a fantastic product. Does exactly what is claimed. Make sure that you wash your hands completely after each application. Do not get it on your lips or you will experience great discomfort, (cracked and bleeding lips). Once you have completed the process (twice a day for 21 days), use Hydroval Cream 0.2% to assist in the healing process (works great)."

Tiny704 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 12, 2015

For Keratosis "This is the best!! I've been using it for 4 years and it is absolutely the best solution for AK's. I am 60 years old, fair skin, been outside for years and developed way too many AK's, not to mention basal and squamous problems too. For years, the dermatologist only used spot nitrogen and prescribed caramac. I can only assume she didn't prescribe efudex because she needed the steady income stream from me and my insurance. By chance I was having a physical from my family doctor. He asked me when I was going to address my AK;s on forehead. I told him I did, and he told me he could write me a prescription for medicine that solves it, efudex. He did and I amazed at the ending results. Yes, the efudex was painful, looked bad when it was working but results speak for them self"

j mack (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2015

For Keratosis "Had very adverse reaction after 8 days of applying cream to chest ended up with severe open skin wounds needed antibiotics, lidocaine gel, silvadine creme, prendisone, oxicodone, altrax, and ambien to sleep sooooooo painful."

stillitchy (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2015

For Keratosis "Worked great for me, some pain but when I was done my face was like a baby's butt. Stay home for 30 days"

Trueser August 5, 2015

For Keratosis "I have done this Efudex treatment three times over a 20 year time span. It is a hideous process but it beats the alternatives! KNIVES cutting you up in particular. I use and recommend AQUAPHOR instead of the expensive prescribed cortisone cream for a quicker more effective healing process. I think EFUDEX is Great!"

FanchonLinda June 2, 2015

For Keratosis "I am now into my 15 day of using the efudix cream and I look scary I was told by my skin specialist to do my whole face and as directed have done so .I am a 51 year old woman that grew up on the coast and never thought any thing of it. After having a melanoma removed last year the ugliness ,pain and itchiness of this treatment is far better than a alternative outcome .Like others googled pictures and was horrified but remember the out come will be beautiful I would do it again in a heart beat."

ford6970 May 14, 2015

For Basal Cell Carcinoma "I am just about to start treatment for superficial BCC on my hands, feet legs and nose, obviously from all I have read , I am going to do it in stages. I am having to plan this around a conference, my children's exams and prom dance!! I know that it is going to get really painful. Has anyone done their hands or feet or both at the same time? I am doing a test patch on my arms at the moment to see how skin reacts - on the advice of my doc Some guidance would be much appreciated"

Caryn pen (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2015

For Skin Cancer "Used years ago my arms and it was successful for a time, after healing. But arms look like they once did. Red hair and freckles growing up in az before sunblock was used!! Now using on forehead. It's miserable I hope it works. All I can say is take it one day at at time. Keep battling."

War dog March 20, 2015

For Basal Cell Carcinoma "This is my second time around. I am on Day 10 of a 14-day regime; then steroid cream for another 14 days. I am in excuciating pain and I look horrific. I know it's a good thing but it is so painful. I wanted to write here to help encourage others; I found this site because I needed encouragement. I use a dish towel with fringe to flap against my face and that's the only relief I get. I forget how awful I look until I catch myself in a mirror."

LTOV January 3, 2015

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Skin Cancer "Before I started with Efudex I googled pictures and reviews, on seeing the pictures I decided to do one part of my face at a time, lip first and now I've just done 2 weeks on the right side of my face and I'm glad I did especially because I work in retail and the pain of feeling like you have cold sores all over your face, thank God for makeup is all I can say. I will do my right side once my left has healed and then my forehead followed by a micro dermabrasion. I think this product is amazing and the way it keeps working after you stop applying. Those who did your whole face all at once I take my hat off to you."

Dee63 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 14, 2014

For Keratosis "Flouroracil 5% used on lower lip vermillion border for over a year. Two biopsies confirmed actinic keratosis. After application once a day for 4 days, lip would swell and ulcerate, then heal over 5 days.....lesion would return on day 6. Repeated this over and over for one year. Now going to participate in a study for Solaraze Gel. Will report findings in three months."

Carole Rains (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 14, 2014

For Skin Cancer "Im treating slightly raised warts which only partially respond to tea tree oil, EGCG cream, tazarotene and many herbal ointment containing thuja plus etc essential oils. To those wanting to use Efudex, there are articles stating 1% /0.5% are better tolerated, compared with 5%. But Carac is magnitude more expensive. I guess the lower % is less irritating as normal cells are not absorbing as much. If you have deep growth, 5FU may cause significant inflammation/edema that may be excruciatingly painful .I found using oral Serrapeptase 120k Ux2(empty stomach) helps a lot in terms of managing inflammation and pain. It seems the warts are responding dramatically"

BJ02145 February 5, 2014

For Skin Cancer "Age 66 - spent many years at sea and as you can imagine my facial skin was a mess. Doctor put me on Ufedix (how it is called here) two weeks ago and the results are amazing. Of course it is not a pretty sight and sleeping is a bit difficult, the reaction was clearly pictured in the brochure that I was given at the clinic - but it does not truly describe the actual sensations associated with the inflamation. A little concerned I browsed for reviews and found this sight - after reading the experiences of other users I feel much releaved - thanks to all for sharing their experiences, now I am looking forward to seeing the end result. Stay safe and keep well. Thank you."

outdooraussie (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2013

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Keratosis "Used the product on my face for 6 weeks twice a day for two days every week. Depending on the extent of sun damage, the effects are dramatic and nasty looking. After the 2nd week the treated area looks like a bad sun burn, it itches, peels, weeps, bleeds and burns. But the results after stopping for 3-4 weeks are very good."

Largo7 March 5, 2013

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Keratosis "Be careful not to exceed time period recommended otherwise there will be extreme redness and pain. On the whole it seems to work but I have still got red skin after a few days without using it. Doctor recommended following with Eumovate but I'm not too happy with results."

afoben (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2012

For Skin Cancer "Efudex successfully combated skin abnormalities that my doctor had cancer concerns about. I used Efudex for ten days and then stopped because of blistering; they were small, but covered my face. It's been almost two months after my treatment and I still have an unsightly, coarse rash. The steriod cream I used five days afterwards eased the appearance of the rash, but because of concerns over skin thinning, I could not continue with the cream."

Anonymous February 6, 2011

For Keratosis "I'm an engineer, now in my 60s, and I have worked outside all my life. I have red hair and fair complexion you can imagine the skin damage I have accumulated in my lifetime. I had used the Efudex 5% cream years ago and had good results. Three months ago I began seeing a dermatologist that recommended the "new" technology "BLUE LIGHT TREATMENTS". This did NOT work for me gave me a very mild "sunburn" with no apparent effect on the former skin damage and it was very expensive even after insurance coverage! I requested my treatment be changed to the proven Efudex my doctor insisted I stay with the "blue light", that my skin was "in very good condition" and that I only needed "maintenance". As you may guess I have changed physicians and now I am being treated with Efudex again. My skin is now in full reaction after only two weeks treatment with Efudex. Yes with Efudex your skin is unsightly and uncomfortable from week 2 through to week 4; but, this is a small price to be cancer free. Efudex works! "

Richard - NC November 14, 2010

178 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am currently using Efudex for the second time. My first experience was 11 years ago. The issues were exactly as shared by many others. I was a mess! It is very mentally challenging to go through this, but I can assure you it is very much worth making the commitment to complete a full course of therapy. It was absolutely amazing how clear, smooth, and clean my face looked about a month after stopping treatment (I used a topical steriod afterwards). People actually thought I had some plastic surgery (face lift?). I am at it again, just having completed my first week. While I remain self-conscious about how bad I look, it bothers me much less because I know the outcome will be well worth it. Hang in there!"

Anonymous December 15, 2009

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Keratosis "This is my second time around with Efudex. I swear by it for effectiveness. Side effects are bad: breaking out looks unsightly, itching makes you feel like you want to scratch off your skin. The best relief I have found is Tylenol for pain and Calendula Cream (Marigold Cream) for the relief of irritated skin. That's keeping me sane and I am on week 4 overall: 16 days using medication the remainder trying to overcome side effects. Good luck to everyone. I still have more to go...."

froghopper1 November 19, 2009

For Keratosis "I tried the Traumeel another user suggested. It did nothing to help with the pain. The only relief I have found so far is Tylenol, Extra Strength and Aquaphor once everything has been pulled to the surface. Of course keeping the affected areas uncovered is a huge help. I sleep on a beach towel over my sheets so the shedding and peeling are "contained". It's the only way I don't itch throughout the night and even if I do, the roughness of the towel helps to get it off the skin. Hope this helps. "

Anonymous November 8, 2009

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Keratosis "I ended up in the hospital with a very serious allergic reaction to Efudex. Started with nausea and diarrhea, went into hives, swelling in my lips, mouth, all over my body. I have been out of the hospital for a week my voice is still hoarse, I still have a rash not feeling well at all. I'm on Prednisone to counteract the allergic reaction."

Anonymous November 3, 2009

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Keratosis "Efudex works great but is very painful and itchy after about two weeks. I tried many creams to relieve the symptoms between applications of the Efudex. One cream that REALLY helped was Traumeel. What a sanity saver. Just thought I would pass this on for others to get some relief. I hope it can help you too."

urphotoguy July 12, 2009