User Reviews for Efudex

Basal Cell Carcinoma 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Efudex reviews 14 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Efudex

Review by Dee63 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Skin Cancer: Before I started with Efudex I googled pictures and reviews, on seeing the pictures I decided to do one part of my face at a time, lip first and now I've just done 2 weeks on the right side of my face and I'm glad I did especially because I work in retail and the pain of feeling like you have cold sores all over your face, thank God for makeup is all I can say. I will do my right side once my left has healed and then my forehead followed by a micro dermabrasion. I think this product is amazing and the way it keeps working after you stop applying. Those who did your whole face all at once I take my hat off to you.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2014 3:25 AM

Review by Carole Rains (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Keratosis: Flouroracil 5% used on lower lip vermillion border for over a year. Two biopsies confirmed actinic keratosis. After application once a day for 4 days, lip would swell and ulcerate, then heal over 5 days.....lesion would return on day 6. Repeated this over and over for one year. Now going to participate in a study for Solaraze Gel. Will report findings in three months.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2014 1:46 PM

Review by BJ02145:

For Skin Cancer: Im treating slightly raised warts which only partially respond to tea tree oil, EGCG cream, tazarotene and many herbal ointment containing thuja plus etc essential oils. To those wanting to use Efudex, there are articles stating 1% /0.5% are better tolerated, compared with 5%. But Carac is magnitude more expensive. I guess the lower % is less irritating as normal cells are not absorbing as much. If you have deep growth, 5FU may cause significant inflammation/edema that may be excruciatingly painful .I found using oral Serrapeptase 120k Ux2(empty stomach) helps a lot in terms of managing inflammation and pain. It seems the warts are responding dramatically

February 5, 2014 10:59 AM

Review by outdooraussie (taken for less than 1 month):

For Skin Cancer: Age 66 - spent many years at sea and as you can imagine my facial skin was a mess. Doctor put me on Ufedix (how it is called here) two weeks ago and the results are amazing. Of course it is not a pretty sight and sleeping is a bit difficult, the reaction was clearly pictured in the brochure that I was given at the clinic - but it does not truly describe the actual sensations associated with the inflamation. A little concerned I browsed for reviews and found this sight - after reading the experiences of other users I feel much releaved - thanks to all for sharing their experiences, now I am looking forward to seeing the end result. Stay safe and keep well. Thank you.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 4, 2013 9:38 PM

Review by Largo7:

For Keratosis: Used the product on my face for 6 weeks twice a day for two days every week. Depending on the extent of sun damage, the effects are dramatic and nasty looking. After the 2nd week the treated area looks like a bad sun burn, it itches, peels, weeps, bleeds and burns. But the results after stopping for 3-4 weeks are very good.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 5, 2013 2:27 PM

Review by afoben (taken for less than 1 month):

For Keratosis: Be careful not to exceed time period recommended otherwise there will be extreme redness and pain. On the whole it seems to work but I have still got red skin after a few days without using it. Doctor recommended following with Eumovate but I'm not too happy with results.

August 2, 2012 5:16 AM

For Skin Cancer: Efudex successfully combated skin abnormalities that my doctor had cancer concerns about. I used Efudex for ten days and then stopped because of blistering; they were small, but covered my face. It's been almost two months after my treatment and I still have an unsightly, coarse rash. The steriod cream I used five days afterwards eased the appearance of the rash, but because of concerns over skin thinning, I could not continue with the cream.

February 6, 2011 4:24 PM

Review by Richard - NC:

For Keratosis: I'm an engineer, now in my 60s, and I have worked outside all my life. I have red hair and fair complexion you can imagine the skin damage I have accumulated in my lifetime. I had used the Efudex 5% cream years ago and had good results. Three months ago I began seeing a dermatologist that recommended the "new" technology "BLUE LIGHT TREATMENTS". This did NOT work for me gave me a very mild "sunburn" with no apparent effect on the former skin damage and it was very expensive even after insurance coverage! I requested my treatment be changed to the proven Efudex my doctor insisted I stay with the "blue light", that my skin was "in very good condition" and that I only needed "maintenance". As you may guess I have changed physicians and now I am being treated with Efudex again. My skin is now in full reaction after only two weeks treatment with Efudex. Yes with Efudex your skin is unsightly and uncomfortable from week 2 through to week 4; but, this is a small price to be cancer free. Efudex works!

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2010 6:45 AM

I am currently using Efudex for the second time. My first experience was 11 years ago. The issues were exactly as shared by many others. I was a mess! It is very mentally challenging to go through this, but I can assure you it is very much worth making the commitment to complete a full course of therapy. It was absolutely amazing how clear, smooth, and clean my face looked about a month after stopping treatment (I used a topical steriod afterwards). People actually thought I had some plastic surgery (face lift?). I am at it again, just having completed my first week. While I remain self-conscious about how bad I look, it bothers me much less because I know the outcome will be well worth it. Hang in there!

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 15, 2009 4:55 PM

Review by froghopper1:

For Keratosis: This is my second time around with Efudex. I swear by it for effectiveness. Side effects are bad: breaking out looks unsightly, itching makes you feel like you want to scratch off your skin. The best relief I have found is Tylenol for pain and Calendula Cream (Marigold Cream) for the relief of irritated skin. That's keeping me sane and I am on week 4 overall: 16 days using medication the remainder trying to overcome side effects. Good luck to everyone. I still have more to go....

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 19, 2009 1:10 AM

For Keratosis: I tried the Traumeel another user suggested. It did nothing to help with the pain. The only relief I have found so far is Tylenol, Extra Strength and Aquaphor once everything has been pulled to the surface. Of course keeping the affected areas uncovered is a huge help. I sleep on a beach towel over my sheets so the shedding and peeling are "contained". It's the only way I don't itch throughout the night and even if I do, the roughness of the towel helps to get it off the skin. Hope this helps.

November 8, 2009 3:18 AM

For Keratosis: I ended up in the hospital with a very serious allergic reaction to Efudex. Started with nausea and diarrhea, went into hives, swelling in my lips, mouth, all over my body. I have been out of the hospital for a week my voice is still hoarse, I still have a rash not feeling well at all. I'm on Prednisone to counteract the allergic reaction.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2009 5:44 PM

Review by urphotoguy:

For Keratosis: Efudex works great but is very painful and itchy after about two weeks. I tried many creams to relieve the symptoms between applications of the Efudex. One cream that REALLY helped was Traumeel. What a sanity saver. Just thought I would pass this on for others to get some relief. I hope it can help you too.

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 12, 2009 10:39 AM

For Keratosis: Efudex works great to eliminate actinic keratosis. I have used it before and unfortunately am using it again. It becomes VERY unsightly.. blotchy, swollen, very painful, etc, but it works.

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2009 10:34 PM

Review by olyfoxtrax:

For Skin Cancer: This product works very well to eliminate skin cancers. It becomes quite irritating after a few days, and very irritating at about 10 days, but it gets rid of the skin cancer in a couple of weeks.

155 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 25, 2008 1:00 AM