User Reviews for Gilenya

Learn more about Gilenya.

Multiple Sclerosis 37 reviews 84 medications

8.2
Summary of Gilenya reviews 37 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Gilenya

Review by Jim Ft Lauderdale (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Multiple Sclerosis: Been on Gilenya 15 months. So far so good. Last MRI of brain showed no new lesions and several existing ones shrank a little. Wish there was more upbeat news to report, but I am pleased with the status quo.

August 1, 2014 2:12 PM

Review by Docack (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Multiple Sclerosis: I have been on Gilenya for a year now and I am very happy with it. I can now do things I could not do while on Copaxone or Avonex. One issue I have found while on Gilenya is I get dizzy spells often, but other than that I am happy. For those of you that say it's costly call your Gilenya rep and get them to pay your co-pay it helps. Check with your doctor about taking more Vitamin-D and Vitamin-C, this will help with colds etc.

May 30, 2014 10:24 AM

Review by Bgolfin (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Multiple Sclerosis: Started using Gilenya and felt better after a weeks time. However, I constantly felt dehydrated and my skin looked dried out even with consuming much water. I was urinating a dark color and after taking blood test a month into treatment my liver levels were high. I continued treatments for another month and a half but my liver levels continued to increase so I stopped my prescription. I will say I was feeling better with less mood swings and my spirits felt lifted and the lesions were reduced and minimal.

April 29, 2014 1:21 PM

Review by aussie_em (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Multiple Sclerosis: I started Gilenya in early 2011 as I had a severe relapse. Beforehand I was on Copaxone but it wasn't very effective and left itchy sore red marks. Gilenya has been very effective as in my lesions have stabilised and have shrunk a little. The downside for me is that if you get an infection or a wound, it takes a long time to heal. You have to keep an eye on it and maintain it if it happens to you as it might get worse. I suffer lightheadedness when standing up and nausea as well. You are more susceptible to colds and flu as well so make sure you ask your doctor for a flu shot every year. The side effects are tolerable. I have NOT had a relapse since and given there isn't a cure for Multiple Sclerosis, this is the best medicine available in Australia.

April 18, 2014 11:27 PM

Review by Ellezy:

For Multiple Sclerosis: I've been on Gilenya for quite some time now. At first, I had no side effects at all. Lately, however, I've been getting random symptoms and not sure if they're directly related. My hair has gotten thinner, my eye's sensitivity to light is a bit off, I've gotten gingivitis and been getting mouth ulcers a lot. I'm getting a bit worried, but so far haven't had an attack since I started taking the medicine.

December 16, 2013 8:35 AM

Review by BluDee (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Multiple Sclerosis: I have been on Gilenya for a little over a year. This is a wonderful medicine for me. I started the medication after my second exacerbation in less than 7 months. I have not had any more relapses in the past year. I have enjoyed my life with little to no interferences from my Multiple Sclerosis. I just wanted to share, yes it is expensive but it is worth it. Who knows what the future holds for any of us but I know with Gilenya currently being my medicine of choice I do not dread the future I am embracing what is to come. Thank you to Novartis.

November 28, 2013 1:53 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Multiple Sclerosis: I have been taking Gilenya for close to 10 months now. I was on Rebif and suffered horrible side effects that never did go away ( flu symptoms, migraines ). I had a very severe relapse where I lost the ability to walk for months. I started the new pill medication and have had no side effects whatsoever. What a relief! I can't tell if it's working, I guess time will tell and if I ever relapse again. It's a very expensive medication, thankful my extended benefits cover it. I would recommend this if Tysabri is not for you ( JC Virus positive ). A few laughs in light of a serious health problem...I am a mad cow! lol. And those of you who are JC positive - you will know what I mean.

November 6, 2013 2:48 PM

Review by NikkiBre:

For Multiple Sclerosis: I haven't even been on Gilenya for a full week and am already seeing positive results. The first few days I did feel sluggish and had some stomach discomfort (gas, cramping, etc.), but neither was severe or lengthy. What I am most impressed by, so far, is the immediate improvement in muscle spasticity, which has helped me sleep more fitfully than I have slept in years. I have also experienced the return of tastes and sensations I wasn't even fully aware of losing and an alleviation of what I call brain pain. I am excited to see the vast improvement to my health, and I look forward to all that I will accomplish with the freedom it brings.

August 18, 2013 6:32 PM

Review by CynKing:

For Multiple Sclerosis: Started Gilenya 4 days ago and so far I am very hopeful. My blood pressure is all over the place but based on others experiences I am hopeful this will level out with time. On day 3 I noticed significantly more energy which is one of my main issues. Excited that a non-injectable offers so much promise.

July 13, 2013 8:51 AM

Review by twotrip (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Multiple Sclerosis: I was on Rebif and it worked well for me. Ten years later I started having Multiple Sclerosis attacks about every 3 months. It was like my body had built up a tolerance for Rebif, so I started on Gilenya. In fact I would have rated it a ten. I unfortunately broke my foot and ankle. I ended up needing two surgeries. I had a MS attack after each surgery. I believe the attacks were brought on by such a trauma to my body. I am still taking Gilenya and have had no side affects or another attack.

May 30, 2013 7:38 PM

Review by KKKI:

For Multiple Sclerosis: I am 41 years old and have been recently told that I have Multiple Sclerosis. I had 3 MRI's that confirmed it. My symptoms include tingling in my feet and right hand. I am a runner and love to exercise. Getting ready to start taking Gilenya and am feeling very nervous about it.

May 27, 2013 10:30 AM

Review by My o my:

For Multiple Sclerosis: Very easy to take a pill form medicine vs injection. I experienced very low white blood cells with terrible headaches, body aches, tiredness and nausea after taking the medicine for 4 months. I am slowly feeling better after just two weeks without any medication; I have an appointment with Dr. next week.

May 13, 2013 4:14 PM

Review by Just2Jill (taken for less than 1 month):

For Multiple Sclerosis: I just started Gilenya through a research study (or I couldn't afford it) a week ago. I had minor flu like symptoms the first 72 hours and then increased energy the past several days. I have experienced hot flashes at night sometimes. I have never been on any meds since being tested for Multiple Sclerosis in 2005. I am thankful I don't have to take the injections. Tired and oddly depressed today. Hoping that goes away soon and isn't a lasting side effect.

May 2, 2013 5:55 PM

Review by Jimmie38:

For Multiple Sclerosis: I started my first dose of Gilenya yesterday. The 6 hours of monitoring were event free. It was just boring because blood pressure and pulse were checked every 15 minutes for 3 hrs then every 30 minutes. I took my 2nd pill this morning and plan on having a 'normal' day. Who knows what will be happening the future. All I know is, NO MORE INJECTIONS! I was on BetaSeron for 5 1/2 years and the shots just got to be too much. Site reactions wherever I injected so enough is enough. It was a hassle swishing to Gilenya because of insurance declining it at first, etc. Best thing I can say is keep fighting because the outcome, of no injections, is worth it. Also, don't spend too much time worrying about side effects.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2013 9:26 AM

Review by BicStic (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Multiple Sclerosis: Nine months on Gileyna. I am thrilled that I do not have to take a daily Copaxone injection. No side effects, no relapse, no indication that it does anything. I guess that means it is doing its job. All of the DMDs are expensive!

April 10, 2013 4:30 PM

Review by DallasChic (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Multiple Sclerosis: I have been on Gilenya for 4 months now. The first two weeks I was tired, blood pressure was running low and I felt lethargic all the time. But starting week 3, I was back to normal. I have had zero issues, and no side effects. Its so easy to just take a pill a day and not think about it. I love the convenience of it all. I recently had an MRI after completing 3 months on it - no new lesions. I guess it is too early to say if it is working, but it sure 'feels' like it is.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 4, 2013 12:41 PM

Review by GoWildcats:

For Multiple Sclerosis: I have Multiple Sclerosis, and work for my neurologist. I have been on Gilenya for 6 months I am so thankful for a pill rather an injection. I have had no side effects, that I can say for sure, I have had dizziness, and nausea prior to the change in medicine. I am unsure if everyone on these disease modifying medications is aware that they do not "cure" or get rid of MS symptoms you already have. These medications are to put the MS in a remissive state.

March 7, 2013 3:21 PM

Review by Lil Kaza (taken for less than 1 month):

For Multiple Sclerosis: Have been on the meds for 5 days now it has made me feel tired, dizzy and I have a pain in the heart area, this is nothing to do with the heart as I have had another few ECGs to check this pain. They don't think it's related but its strange that I have only started this medication and this happens. But will be sticking with it.

March 6, 2013 1:59 AM

Review by Sacramentoan:

For Multiple Sclerosis: Have been on Gilenya just shy of 2 years with no relapses. My last MRI showed no new lesions, no active lesions, and some lesions decreasing in size. I love this medicine in that it allows me to be in denial about my MS. Prior to starting Gilenya, I was on Copaxone for 3 years, which was less effective, and during that time I experienced 5-6 immediate post-injection reactions that were scary and exhausting. My neurologist told me that Gilenya will change the way we think about MS. I'm looking forward to long term data on Gilenya's effectiveness, and enjoying life in spite of my diagnosis. This medicine works for me.

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 11, 2013 1:48 AM

Review by Cobra Driver (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Multiple Sclerosis: When I was found to have MS I was put on Rebif for 6 months until Gilenya became available. The side effects on Rebif were severe.I was never able to eliminate them. After only 3 weeks on Gilenya, I couldn't believe how much better I felt. Not only were there no side effects noticed, but I actually felt better than I've felt for several years. It has noticably improved my life.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2012 7:19 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Multiple Sclerosis: I have done very well on Gilenya. I was very hesistant at first because I was on Tysabri for 4 years (which worked great) when they did a study and found out I had the JC virus. It took me about 6 months to decide what to do, but after going to two of the best neurologists, and both of them recommending Gilenya, I went forth with that decision. My doctor said a small relapse would be normal in the first 3-5 months since my body would still be adjusting. I have never had a relapse since being treated. I have been on it for 6 months. If you are going to do it just do it with confidence and positive thinking because if you stress about it then any medicine you try may not work to its full potential. It's hard not to but just trust in your decision.

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 4, 2012 10:10 AM

Review by AZSteve:

For Multiple Sclerosis: So far, no problems except a sore throught. It's only been 4 days I'll update later as I'm expecting good things from what I've read

April 15, 2012 2:49 PM

Review by Gracie9658:

For Multiple Sclerosis: I have been on Gilenya for 5 weeks with minimal side effects. Had some nausea the first 5 days and took meclizine over the counter and it quickly resolved. Due to the MS I was dizzy and felt like I was pitching forward when driving and going down steps. I am not nearly as dizzy and the feeling of falling forward is much less. I hated the Copaxone injections which began making dents in my thighs not to mention the pain, itching and swelling at the injection site.

April 13, 2012 10:53 AM

For Multiple Sclerosis: I have been on Gilenya 5 months now and am seeing benefits. My right leg has begun to have movement from the knee down and there is a reduction in the Ataxia in both my legs and arms. Walking has become noticeably more stable and overall improved.

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2011 10:23 PM

For Multiple Sclerosis: Have been taking this for almost 9 months as other injections failed to work for me. It started out good but a few months into using it I developed severe night sweats. I am coping with it for now as the side effects from other multiple sclerosis medicines were much worse.

November 21, 2011 10:07 PM