User Reviews for Fentanyl Transdermal System

Fentanyl Transdermal System review summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 73 medications used in the treatment of Chronic Pain.

Reviews for Fentanyl Transdermal System to treat Chronic Pain

Review by STEVE MAGYAR (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I have three damaged disc's in my lower back. Doctors wanted to remove. I refused and started out on 120 Lortabs per month. That was increased by the additional 120 tabs of 15 mg oxycodone per month. My life was consumed by pain so bad I could could hardly get out of bed or walk. 6 months later I was prescribed an additional 60 30 mg of Morphine. Needless to say I am no longer in any pain, I was nodding out everywhere. I took morphine for a year. Detox wasn't fun and it's worst if you are a weak junkie. I took oxycodone for another year. My doctor suggest Fentanyl. It changed my life.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 14, 2014 1:04 AM
Review by caliGman: User Rating:

I have been using fentanyl on and off for about 4 years. I had spinal fusion done on L2-L5 also out of the 8 screws in my back the doctors left one of the screws with the sharp point on it so it jabs into my back muscle. I have tried every pain medicine on the market and have to say fentanyl works the best. I no longer wake up from pain. It is in my opinion the best pain medication available on the market. I used to have to get it off the streets because no doctor believed I was in pain (I am in my 30's) now I finally found a doctor who prescribes it to me, God bless him for it. I'm using 50mcg every 48 hrs. I still get a little pain after any activity that stresses my back so might ask to try 75mcg but I am glad I have these patches.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 10, 2014 3:59 AM
Review by Bloodhoundz (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Have been using Fentanyl for over 3 years now, and wonder what kind of shape I would be in if I hadn't been offered this medicine. It is definitely working for me and I am so glad I was a candidate for it.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 8, 2014 10:49 PM
Review by Joeseph Schmoe: User Rating:

Been using the fentanyl patch for about 6 yrs. now using 2 100mcg patches every 48 hrs. Using 72 hrs, the pain would come back with withdrawal symptoms. The major problem was getting it to stay on, but covering it with a TegaDerm took care of most of that issue. It works for pain better than oral medicines and you don't have to go through the trouble of swallowing pills all the time, just apply and forget it for a couple of days. I would recommend this as a good alternative to pills.

March 5, 2014 3:03 PM
Review by SuzLeik (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

This medicine was covered for me by Worker's Compensation when I was taking it, but they decided that they would not pay for it any longer. This decision was made and introduced statewide and Doctors were instructed to prescribe something else for their patients. It has been a TERRIBLE decision because pills are not nearly as effective as the patches, and sadly I am not financially capable of paying for the patches myself. I would love to have the patches back, they are an excellent product.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 12, 2014 3:34 PM
Review by wm05: User Rating:

I have been on the 75 mcg Fentanyl patch for about four years now. I've have had problems finding pharmacies that carry my patches so I hope they aren't taking them off the market. But they have helped me a lot with my back before/after surgery I switch them every 48 hrs otherwise I start going through withdrawal.

November 21, 2013 11:43 PM
Review by b0ynsea (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have been using the 50 now for 4 months, I do regularly wake up and the bed is soaked in sweat, the patches never work for 3 days and on the 3rd day I am back on my Norco. I have found that if I shower 1-1.5 hours prior to a new patch and hold it in place they stick much better, the pain relief is much better than the Norco but I recently noticed a wheezing cough that is getting worse could be allergies, but wondering if others have had the massive sweats. I still work and sometimes if in a position I know that would be painful without the patch.

September 3, 2013 10:56 PM
Review by mnonline: User Rating:

Made me itch to no end, itch all night itch all day. Lots of dry mouth, it did relieve pain and I liked the pain relief. As we all know they do not stay on for 3 days, after about 50 some hours it stop relieving pain.

August 22, 2013 5:52 PM
Review by DougSC (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

After years of all the other opioid pain pills I was put on Fentanyl 25mcg. Initial problems getting patch to stick, I contacted the manufacturer and they were very helpful. They have supplied Askina film dressings to cover the patch and they never fall off anymore. TegaDerm patches work very well also. I was also increased to one patch every 48 hours since it seems to wear off long before 72 hours. I do leave them on for 72 hours, but alternate locations every 48 hours. What a difference. Very little pain if any and I'm no longer loopy or half asleep all the time. Fentanyl has been a blessing for my lower back and leg pain. By the way I suffer from lumbar spinal stenosis. Hope this is helpful to others.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 8, 2013 9:10 AM
Review by Sfisher1975 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I have been using the 50mcg patches for about 2 years. They are a lifesaver and I found an almost fool proof way to get them to stick. I find that my thigh works best and I keep them shaved in the application area (I'm a guy so I don't shave my legs) but before applying a new patch I use a single use alcohol pad (for cleaning before an injection) and then once dry, apply the patch and hold for a good 30 seconds. They always stick and in fact on the 3rd day they actually hurt a bit coming off like a bandaid. I think the oil on your skin is what keeps them from sticking well. I also apply my new patch and leave the old one on for an extra 8-12 hours, which keeps the withdrawal symptoms to a minimum.

July 27, 2013 12:18 PM
Review by Lost In Space (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

This medication works slowly. It took around 24 hours to feel any effect. The patches don't really stick too well. Avoid hot showers or the patch will fall off.

July 25, 2013 4:18 PM
Review by Martyh: User Rating:

This is a life saver for me and I have tried just about every type of Opioid out there. Sweating was the only issue but that went away after my first week of taking the medication. I would highly recommend it to any one with chronic pain.

July 2, 2013 7:27 PM
Review by jodygurl (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I had C-4,5,6,7 fusion that went awry when they accidentally hit my spinal cord. I was originally put on 75's but my feet would hurt so bad in the morning. I read that it was due to too much in my system so I had them lower my dose to 25mg. But I put a new one on every 48 hrs. (leave them in place for 72) so I am basically putting a patch on every other day. I wear them on my chest area so they don't get rubbed a lot and tend to stay in place.

May 2, 2013 3:51 AM
Review by Love chihuahuas: User Rating:

I started at the 12.5mcg/hr but had to increase to 25mcg/hr. I was amazed at how well they worked, the pain was almost gone 80-90% of the time. I have found that already the pain is creeping back, I'm not sure if it's because I need a stronger patch or because they fall off so easily. I have even tried heating it with my blow dryer to get it hot enough to stick again, it worked only once. I'm going to have my Dr read your comments, he doesn't believe that they don't stick the full 3 days. I have to go the 3rd day without a patch so it coincides with my scripts. What do you do when you swim in the summer, take it off while in the pool? Thank all of you for your reviews, I appreciate them.

April 19, 2013 4:20 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I have moderate to severe pain from a reaction to a medication. I wear a 100 & a 25 Fentanyl patch. After trying several places I found the patches stay best on my derri

February 18, 2013 2:22 PM
Review by new orleans (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I've been on the 50 mcg fentanyl patches for approx. 10 years. I've found out using the Mylan brand covered with a Tuff strip extra large size Band Aid (cloth or waterproof type) stays in place for the 3 day period very well. The patch is the same size as the cotton square on the Band aids.

January 31, 2013 8:57 PM
Review by chesbeau (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Spinal fusion pain is often severe while usually moderate. My doctor prescribed 100 mcgs for the usual 72 hrs., but after about 6 weeks of use I entered into painful, often agonizing withdrawal symptoms during the night and had to replace my lost, misplaced patch. Pain relief is satisfactory, but I find the Transdermal system's adhesion properties unreliable at best. Tegaderm adhesive film is essential for extra security while holding the patch to the skin. Unfortunately, my Fentanyl patches are vulnerable to moisture and prematurely weaken, even with the added film.

January 23, 2013 4:09 AM
Review by GEAUX-GEAUX girl (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Hands - down THE most effective pain relief I've ever had!! I've been wearing 25mcg for 2 months now. 1st month, I wore Actavis clear gel-filled. This month I'm wearing Apotex band-aid type patch. I'm not certain which I prefer. Gel-filled was great, but I was always paranoid with it buckling. On the down-side, my lips are raw due to my mouth being so dry. I also itch like crazy!! The fact that the pain relief is so phenomenal, I don't see me changing meds. I take no breakthrough meds except occasional Advil. Pills were a problem for me as I would always take too much. Another reason that the Fentanyl patch is a God send!

December 25, 2012 4:55 PM
Review by dpowell29 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I had spinal fusion (L4-S2) and my doctor is stating I need to possibly have L2-L3 fused. My doctor had me on Norco and this did little and then while he was out of the office one day another doctor in his office saw me and put me on Fentanyl. At first it was great, I had the same problem everyone else had with patches only lasting 48 hours and it was impossible to find some place they would stay on. But later it was hard to regulate my body temperature, I would get burning hot and then cold and it wasn't because the patch was old or not on. This medication helps my pain more than anything else.

December 14, 2012 2:23 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been on the patch now for 10 years, about started @ 100mcg x 72HRS and am @ 200mcg x 48HRS due to chronic pain from a 90 foot fall from a radio tower. I have been placed on every medicine literally for pain management and this medicine gave me a life back.

October 22, 2012 6:03 PM
Review by johndog (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I was on the Fentanyl Patches for approx. 3 months. The 1st month was good, though no patch ever lasted 3 days. My doc updated my script to changing them every 48 hrs. By the third month, no patch was lasting more than 30hrs, and I was going through withdrawals so bad on the 2nd day that I have been switched to methadone pills for pain. I also had trouble with the patches staying on during showers.

September 12, 2012 7:28 AM
Review by Pharmacy Doc: User Rating:

I am a university-affiliated clinical pharmacist who oversees the healthcare of several elderly patients - some of whom suffer from severe chronic pain resulting from a variety of clinical conditions. In my experience, transdermal fentanyl patches only occassionaly provide satisfactory pain relief over the full 72 hr period - assuming the dose has been properly titrated. I have seen the best results by using multiple, lower-dose patches. For example, if a patient requires a 75 mcg patch, better results are obtained by using 3 x 25 mcg patches - with patch #2 added on day 2 and patch #3 added on day 3 (and with each patch being left in place for a full 72 hrs). This gives better control + fewer side effects.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 1, 2012 11:50 AM
Review by Anita Reed (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I also have to change my patches, 100mcg, every 48 hours. It seems that the research of the patches lasting 72 hours may be faulty! I have been on the patches since 2003, starting at 100 mcg, and having to increase after a surgery to fuse cervical discs, and increased pain from Fibromyalgia, degenerative disc in lower back, cysts on kidneys & ovaries, and uterine fibroids. I never have problems with my patches falling off, even with the excessive sweating. I use Mylan brand.

August 29, 2012 2:43 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Great for chronic pain. Tough withdrawal. Patches can fall off without use of clear tape. You don't have to worry about taking a pill on time. Low to no breakthrough pain.

August 16, 2012 8:17 PM