User Reviews for Febuxostat

Also known as: Uloric

Learn more about Febuxostat.

Gout 13 reviews 6 medications

8.8
Summary of Febuxostat reviews 13 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Febuxostat

Review by Dave E (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Uloric (febuxostat) for Gout: I rarely had gout flare ups despite having high levels for 10 years, I couldn't take the allopurinol, and when I started having small more frequent flare ups my doctor urged me to try Uloric, warning me that I was damaging my joints even if I wasn't having flare ups. The first 4 months on it I had probably 7 flare ups, more than I had ever had before, but my levels were low. Finally after 6 months they stopped and I have had zero issues for months. I think that what happens is that you build up crystals in your joints over the years if you don't treat your gout, then when you go on this medicine your levels drop so fast that the crystals dissolve and fall out into your joints. Stick with it, it's worth it. Not sure what it costs.

March 26, 2014 6:56 PM

Review by Lotz:

Uloric (febuxostat) for Gout: Uloric been awesome for me since it came out in Feb, 2009. Started with 40 mg and had small attacks like every two months or so. Went to 80 mg and have had no attacks. I did run a gout fever cold/sweat/shakes which my Dr. Gave me a shot for. I might have a light rash on my lower leg from Uloric but it's well worth it, I can bowl in league and no worries of attack popping up next day.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 26, 2014 10:24 PM

Review by Frank P.:

Uloric (febuxostat) for Gout: I donated a kidney in 2004 and was diagnosed with my first gout attack in January 2014. My Dr advised me of all the possible medications I am able to take for the attacks and for long term maintenance. The ONLY long term medicines I can take because of the kidney donation was Uloric. I've been taking it for about a month with a low dosage of Colchicine (unsure of spelling). It has been working and I personally have not experienced any side effects at all. With major diet adjustments and the medication my uric acid level dropped 5 points during that month. I am trying my best to continue taking what is my only option but the cost is very high even with my benefits. Looking for some answers as to options. Much appreciate the help.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 15, 2014 11:59 AM

Review by Redbrick (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Uloric (febuxostat) for Gout: I have had Gout since I was 23, I am now 48. I tried everything and nothing seemed to work. My body would not accept Allapurinol no matter how long I stayed on it, it caused bad flare ups. Uloric has been a Godsend! I almost forgot what it was like not to be in bad pain everyday. My uric acid level is now down below 6 and I take 40 mg of Uloric daily. I reccomend Uloric to anyone that has gout. A truly great medicine that is priceless to me.

October 23, 2013 11:38 PM

Review by RED HOCHMUTH:

Uloric (febuxostat) for Gout: I have had the gout since I was 26, am now 73. I took allipuronol 300mg for many years (it worked). My doctor has changed me to Uloric 40 for about 6 months and have had no side effects, my blood tests are well in range. I am very pleased with this.

August 13, 2013 5:43 PM

Review by BB Oregon (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Uloric (febuxostat) for Gout: I've been on Uloric for about 3 years now. Have NOT had 1 flare-up since, and it's also lowered my uric acid level in my blood. I've been on the A & C meds for gout and they did nothing to help. Uloric is a miracle in my opinion. Very happy with it. They also have a discount coupon for it, which will lower what you pay for it.

May 15, 2013 1:25 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Uloric (febuxostat) for Gout: I started 80mg Uloric about 4 weeks ago just to lower my Uric Acid level which was over 10. I had no symptoms - within two weeks my uric acid level was around 5.5 which is great, however, I had a flare up and it has not gone away for the past two weeks. I am on Indomethacin and Prednisone, it helps (but I was just told not to take them together) - but the Indomethacin is hard on the stomach. It is expensive but the makers of Uloric do have a coupon that helps with the cost.

July 30, 2012 2:25 PM

Review by djebear:

Uloric (febuxostat) for Gout: I have taken Uloric for about 2 years now and has done very well at controlling my gout. I originally started with the 40mg pills but still had minor attacks about once a month. My doctor increased my dosage to the 80mg and I no longer have attacks. The price is way to high.

November 18, 2011 2:46 PM

Review by gouty:

Uloric (febuxostat) for Gout: I have found Uloric (80mg) to be slightly less effective in controlling my gout symptoms than Allopurinol (300mg) and it is more expensive but it is good to have it as another alternative.

October 2, 2011 10:45 PM

Review by tboybmx:

Uloric (febuxostat) for Gout: I have been using Uloric 40mg 1 x a day for just about 3 months. It has been working very well, but I was off it for two days and pain started up quickly again in my toe and hand joints. Went back on it and is working again. Colchicine works but the diarrhea is terrible. Also my uric acid level was just above 7.0 at start but now is very low and normal.

July 8, 2010 12:29 AM

Review by msgtb:

Uloric (febuxostat) for Gout: My mother has severe gout and has reactions to both apuranol and cholcine. She had to take predisone since she couldn't take the other medications. Since, she started taking Uloric it has controlled her gout without any side effects. Seems very effective and safe.

October 30, 2009 1:32 PM

Review by hjr:

Uloric (febuxostat) for Gout: I started using Uloric (40mg) on 8/18/09. My uric acid was 12.8. Blood work done 10/19 it was down to 6.9! BUT, I developed a rash on one side of my face; cutting back to 40mg every other day and using an ointment to see if the rash improves. Couldn't tolerate any of the other medicines available for gout.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 24, 2009 4:35 PM

Review by deeton:

Uloric (febuxostat) for Gout: I started taking Uloric 5 weeks ago. It seems to be working alright. I have tried several medicines for this ailment allopurinal, colchicine, steroids, vicodin. It took me a week to get off those, had bad reactions on allopurinol i.e. rashes, swelling of the stomach and lips. Colchicine diarrhea so bad I couldn't work. Anyway Uloric has been pretty effective so far. I have also tried apple cider vineger, baking soda, herbal remedies none as effective as Uloric. Only drawback to it I don't have insurance and Uloric is $200.00 for a 30 day supply.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 19, 2009 10:16 PM