User Reviews for Byetta

Learn more about Byetta.

Byetta Review Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 110 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Byetta to treat Diabetes, Type 2

"Today was my first day on Byetta . I can't stand the nausea . Feel carsick, have a headache and jittery . I am on 5mcg hoping it gets better I'm supposed to take my metformin and glyburide too but sick. Not sure how I'm going to be able to work like this. If it doesn't get better in a day or two I will talk to my Dr"

mnorma1380 May 16, 2015

"My endocrinologist gave me a sharp warning a year ago. He told me that if I did not lose weight immediately I would become diabetic and have to go on insulin. Through sheer force of will and terror I lost a lot of weight last year. My blood tests were looking fantastic. Unfortunately I just could not lose more weight this year. My doctor put me on Byetta a month ago. My mind is made up not to eat sugary foods or highly refined carbs. I have lost 4 kgs in a month. Since April last year I am 17kgs lighter and feel so many good effects. I am determined to lose another big chunk of weight this year. The Byetta definitely takes away the appetite. I literally can't eat too much. I think it's great. The side effects are minimal."

Colldoll May 2, 2015

"I dropped a Jean size. My close relatives say they have noticed some weight loss results. The nausea is awful when I eat unhealthy food. So I stick to my fruits, vegetables and lean meat. I cut out bread, white rice and other bad carbohydrates out of my diet. I only have half a cup serving of brown rice. For breakfast, I choose to eat fruits as I am a full time university student and I don't need to feel nauseated. For lunch I have a small meal, then in the evening I either eat fruits/veggies or nothing. I drink so much water...I am always thirsty lately. Again, the water seems to drain out the nausea and occasionally diarrhoea from bad food choices. I will keep you updated on my journey! In all honesty, I feel so good now ."

Thato Lethokoe (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2015

"Been on it for ten years sugars are normal now. Plus the first seven months I lost 100 lbs. In the 10 years since weight has stabilized at 90 lbs loss. NEVER came back. 5'7" 148 lbs, can eat too!"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) December 17, 2014

"Been on Byetta for 2 years & it is fine except the nausea in the morning after the injection so my doctor told me to have it 15 minutes before my breakfast & it works wonders. No more nausea. I also have it 15 minutes before dinner also. My weight stays the same as I am not overweight."

Helani (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 12, 2014

"Was on the 5mcg and increased to 10. Had the usual nausea and lost about ten pounds. A1c leveled out in the high 6's to low 7's. Got ugly last fall/winter and dropped another 35 lbs. BMI is now normal with 65 lbs lost from an initial 235lb start. Have been having a problem with low (50'5 and 60's) sugars within 2 hrs of injection/eating. This started 3 months after the latest weight loss. I was forced to sugar load with glucose and fruits to counteract the Byetta and stopped it last week (just too dangerous. I am going to ask to be put on the time release and then adjust the Glucophage to try to get a stable dial in. Testing like a mad dog my fingers are a mess. If the time release doesn't cut it I will try going back to 5mcg."

muleemon (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 25, 2014

"I started with Byetta Sept. 2012 and used until March 2013. A1C went from 7.5 to 6.1 and my morning fasting # went from 160s to 90s. I lost approx. 60 lbs. The main complaint was being sick to my stomach. It wasn't so much of a problem on the 5 but really bad on the 10. I had planned to just tough it out because the results were so good, but I mentioned it to my endocrinologist and she switched me to the once-a-week Bydureon. (Same drug but a slow release) Totally cleared up the side effects."

flutemon (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 3, 2013

"I have been on Byetta since August last year and except for some nausea and slight constipation have found it to be a miracle for me. My sugar levels have improved and also have halved my blood pressure medication. Also my eyesight has improved greatly. I have lost 30kg and am feeling great. Thanks Byetta!"

Lyndylou July 3, 2013

"Brought my A1C's down, as well as weight loss gradually."

Alice592 June 29, 2013

"I too am experiencing hair loss and want to know what to do about it. I had been taking 5mcg of Byetta twice a day with only minimal side effects for about 3 months. Then the specialist recommended increasing to 10mcg and that is when I noticed the severe hair loss. I had been losing my hair before in small amounts but after taking 10mcg it started really falling out in great clusters. Once I realized that it must be the Byetta I stopped taking 10mcg and have gone back to 5 but am still losing hair - not as much but still happening. Does anybody know what I should try - I have read some other blogs and this has been great because now I know I am not alone. I too have this dilemma - stop the Byetta and gain several stone or no hair?"

dragonladyliza June 14, 2013

"My a1c is in the normal range now, and I have lost 42 lbs. All my labs are great due to the weight loss. I have been on 10mcg for over 2 years. My last a1c was so good last time, my doctor wants me to decrease to 5mcg. I have been to several dermatologists over the last 2 years trying to figure out why I am having hair loss, unhealthy hair, and change in texture. I never wanted to attribute it to the Byetta although the hair loss started a few months after I began taking it. I am now so desperate to stop the hair loss, I'm considering stopping the Byetta. I can't decide which would be worse - being bald or gaining back 42 pounds! I would really love to know if the person who recently posted had any hair regrowth after stopping Byetta."

brn314 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 20, 2013

"I have been on Byetta for 5 years. My A1C was 8 when I started Byetta and is now 5.6 the past 4 years. I have been able to lose 63 pounds without any diet plan, just slowly lost this weight. I am now on half the dosage of other diabetic medications I am taking and reduced my blood pressure medications to 1/4 the dose . The only problem I have with Byetta is nausea while waiting to eat."

Deborah 60 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 16, 2013

"I was on Byetta from April 2010 until Aug 2012. My sugars were great, I lost weight, but my nails became thin and weak, my hair became brittle and balding. I am now 57. My doctor ran test, my thyroid is find. My skin is EXTREMELY dry. I read that there were complaints of hair loss - so I quit taking it (my Dr's. suggestion). I only hope my hair will get healthier and COME BACK!"

jbran October 11, 2012

"Aside from nervousness for a couple of hours after injection, no major adverse reactions. Unfortunately, my hunger is unabated but I've been able to keep my diet healthy. I've only been on Byetta for two days now. My doctor had me discontinue Januvia. I'm currently taking Metformin and Glipizide also. We'll see how it pans out. My A1C's have been around 7.0 but with huge peaks and valleys. Hopefully things will level out."

Regcabguy (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2012

"The first week of Byetta 5mcg dose, no side effects, 6 pound weight loss but high blood glucose numbers. My Endocrinologist suggested I try going up to the 10mcg dose. nausea, gas, stomach upset and constipation. I ended up in bed most afternoons. Numbers are now good and I've lost another 4 pounds. Too much lifestyle impairment due to side effects so I went back to the lower dose, still having stomach aches and constipation. I'm giving it time, but so far this has been an uncomfortable experience."

Anonymous April 21, 2012

"I have been on Byetta for 10 weeks now and lost 18kg. Been on Byetta. It's the best thing that has happened to me. I weighed 150kg in January and was gaining weekly. My endocrinologist gave it to me so I could lose weight for a hip replacement, but now my hip feels 60% less pain, so might not have to have the hip replacement soon. The only thing I can say is get your mindset right as to your portion size with a low carb diet, no alcohol, fizzy drinks or sweets if you trying to diet. Also I am a type 2 and was on Glucovance until Byetta. Now my reading is 5.1 and dropping slowly. Please understand I use it for weight loss hoping to get off medicines...so far so good."

Anonymous April 14, 2012

"I started using Byetta at the beginning of September 2011, overall I really like it, it helped stabilize my glucose levels, lost 40 pounds in the first 3 months and felt good. But at the end of December, unfortunately developed a severe case of Urticarical Vasculitis accompanied by some gastroparesis. I am very disappointed that my PCP felt the only remedy for Urticarical Vasculitis was to stop the Byetta."

RickyG7 January 30, 2012

"On 7/19/11 I had a routine A1C and my Doctor called me during the weekend to tell me to drink lots of water and stay away from sugar. My A1C was 11.0 and he was really worried. I started on Metformin 1000 mg a day and then 2000 mg a day. My blood sugar was still consistently in the mid 200's. They started me on Byetta mid-August. After getting used to the nausea, the 5 mcg dose was fine (started 8/4/2011). I switched to the 10 mcg dose one month and once again spent 3-4 weeks dealing with almost crippling nausea that not only made me sick, but worsened my panic problems. I stuck through it though because I could see the changes in my blood sugar. Yesterday 12/26/11 A1C is 5.5 and I have lost 25 lbs. Dr gave me high five!"

Anonymous December 27, 2011

"Started taking Byetta three weeks ago, no real problems associated with it other than constipation which I hate. I have never ever had this problem in my life. My numbers went up a few points the first week but on the second week has been at 100-140. I can live with that, better than the 200-300 I was at with pills. Not eating as much lost 5 pounds so far and I don't get as hungry as often as I did. So far it's working."

Anonymous December 3, 2011

"I started Byetta in 2005, sugars were between 300-350. My weight was around 320 also. I had horrid nausea. I threw up a lot too. My sugars immediately dropped to normal though. Now, looking back on it, I think I just ate all the wrong foods. I've been off and on Byetta over the years depending on which insurance I have had. I just started it back up two days ago after going off last month to try Onglyza. My weight is now 213 by the way."

Donna78 November 18, 2010

"I just started taking Byetta. Am now on 10mcg, twice a day. The only side effect I have is feeling full. I've limited what I eat and exercise but so far have lost only one pound after a month. I am hoping I can lose more over time. Meanwhile my blood sugars are staying between 90-115. I do feel I have more energy then I've had in a long time."

Fireplug October 30, 2010

"I have been on Byetta for 3 months now. The weight loss is good, 10 lbs and I haven't even exercised. I am on 10 mcg and still have some minimal lingering nausea. My blood sugars are doing great. The biggest side effect for me is that I never feel hungry and this is amazing to me, since before I started taking Byetta, I had a constant feeling of hunger and ate everything in sight. Now, I have to make myself eat. I love Byetta."

Anonymous October 22, 2010

"5mg did not keep my numbers down. 10 mg works wonders however I am dizzy everyday on 10 mg."

Anonymous September 28, 2010

"I've been on Byetta 10 mg for almost 1 month. I have lost 16 pounds already without really trying. The worst thing is the feeling sick after you eat (I feel the worse about 1 1/2 hours after taking the shot). Some days are better. No constipation like some people reported, more loose stools than anything. I plan to stay on this medicine for a long time!"

Anonymous April 5, 2010

"I started Byetta 5mg in January and then upped to 10mg in February. I'm on my second month at 10mg. Unfortunately, this drug has not worked for me. I will not continue after this month's pen is done. It did NOTHING for my blood sugar numbers. I'm also on Metformin and Glipizide. It did help control my appetite but only enough to lose about 8 lbs total. I also didn't really experience bad side effects. Some occasional nausea, mostly if I didn't eat within 40-60 min of injection. I sometimes wondered if I had too much belly fat for the medicine to work properly but I'm not comfortable injecting my thigh or arm. I truly wanted this to work as wonderfully for me as it did others. Sadly, it has not."

Amanda1973 March 29, 2010