User Reviews for Byetta

Learn more about Byetta.

Byetta review summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Byetta to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Review by muleemon (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Was on the 5mcg and increased to 10. Had the usual nausea and lost about ten pounds. A1c leveled out in the high 6's to low 7's. Got ugly last fall/winter and dropped another 35 lbs. BMI is now normal with 65 lbs lost from an initial 235lb start. Have been having a problem with low (50'5 and 60's) sugars within 2 hrs of injection/eating. This started 3 months after the latest weight loss. I was forced to sugar load with glucose and fruits to counteract the Byetta and stopped it last week (just too dangerous. I am going to ask to be put on the time release and then adjust the Glucophage to try to get a stable dial in. Testing like a mad dog my fingers are a mess. If the time release doesn't cut it I will try going back to 5mcg.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 25, 2014 7:10 PM

Review by flutemon (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I started with Byetta Sept. 2012 and used until March 2013. A1C went from 7.5 to 6.1 and my morning fasting # went from 160s to 90s. I lost approx. 60 lbs. The main complaint was being sick to my stomach. It wasn't so much of a problem on the 5 but really bad on the 10. I had planned to just tough it out because the results were so good, but I mentioned it to my endocrinologist and she switched me to the once-a-week Bydureon. (Same drug but a slow release) Totally cleared up the side effects.

November 3, 2013 3:22 PM

Review by Lyndylou:

I have been on Byetta since August last year and except for some nausea and slight constipation have found it to be a miracle for me. My sugar levels have improved and also have halved my blood pressure medication. Also my eyesight has improved greatly. I have lost 30kg and am feeling great. Thanks Byetta!

July 3, 2013 7:02 PM

Review by Alice592:

Brought my A1C's down, as well as weight loss gradually.

June 29, 2013 1:16 PM

Review by dragonladyliza:

I too am experiencing hair loss and want to know what to do about it. I had been taking 5mcg of Byetta twice a day with only minimal side effects for about 3 months. Then the specialist recommended increasing to 10mcg and that is when I noticed the severe hair loss. I had been losing my hair before in small amounts but after taking 10mcg it started really falling out in great clusters. Once I realized that it must be the Byetta I stopped taking 10mcg and have gone back to 5 but am still losing hair - not as much but still happening. Does anybody know what I should try - I have read some other blogs and this has been great because now I know I am not alone. I too have this dilemma - stop the Byetta and gain several stone or no hair?

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 14, 2013 1:03 AM

Review by brn314 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

My a1c is in the normal range now, and I have lost 42 lbs. All my labs are great due to the weight loss. I have been on 10mcg for over 2 years. My last a1c was so good last time, my doctor wants me to decrease to 5mcg. I have been to several dermatologists over the last 2 years trying to figure out why I am having hair loss, unhealthy hair, and change in texture. I never wanted to attribute it to the Byetta although the hair loss started a few months after I began taking it. I am now so desperate to stop the hair loss, I'm considering stopping the Byetta. I can't decide which would be worse - being bald or gaining back 42 pounds! I would really love to know if the person who recently posted had any hair regrowth after stopping Byetta.

March 20, 2013 3:01 PM

Review by Deborah 60 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have been on Byetta for 5 years. My A1C was 8 when I started Byetta and is now 5.6 the past 4 years. I have been able to lose 63 pounds without any diet plan, just slowly lost this weight. I am now on half the dosage of other diabetic medications I am taking and reduced my blood pressure medications to 1/4 the dose . The only problem I have with Byetta is nausea while waiting to eat.

March 16, 2013 1:40 PM

Review by jbran:

I was on Byetta from April 2010 until Aug 2012. My sugars were great, I lost weight, but my nails became thin and weak, my hair became brittle and balding. I am now 57. My doctor ran test, my thyroid is find. My skin is EXTREMELY dry. I read that there were complaints of hair loss - so I quit taking it (my Dr's. suggestion). I only hope my hair will get healthier and COME BACK!

October 11, 2012 1:39 PM

Review by Regcabguy (taken for less than 1 month):

Aside from nervousness for a couple of hours after injection, no major adverse reactions. Unfortunately, my hunger is unabated but I've been able to keep my diet healthy. I've only been on Byetta for two days now. My doctor had me discontinue Januvia. I'm currently taking Metformin and Glipizide also. We'll see how it pans out. My A1C's have been around 7.0 but with huge peaks and valleys. Hopefully things will level out.

July 25, 2012 11:44 PM

The first week of Byetta 5mcg dose, no side effects, 6 pound weight loss but high blood glucose numbers. My Endocrinologist suggested I try going up to the 10mcg dose. nausea, gas, stomach upset and constipation. I ended up in bed most afternoons. Numbers are now good and I've lost another 4 pounds. Too much lifestyle impairment due to side effects so I went back to the lower dose, still having stomach aches and constipation. I'm giving it time, but so far this has been an uncomfortable experience.

April 21, 2012 8:35 AM

I have been on Byetta for 10 weeks now and lost 18kg. Been on Byetta. It's the best thing that has happened to me. I weighed 150kg in January and was gaining weekly. My endocrinologist gave it to me so I could lose weight for a hip replacement, but now my hip feels 60% less pain, so might not have to have the hip replacement soon. The only thing I can say is get your mindset right as to your portion size with a low carb diet, no alcohol, fizzy drinks or sweets if you trying to diet. Also I am a type 2 and was on Glucovance until Byetta. Now my reading is 5.1 and dropping slowly. Please understand I use it for weight loss hoping to get off medicines...so far so good.

April 14, 2012 2:40 PM

Review by RickyG7:

I started using Byetta at the beginning of September 2011, overall I really like it, it helped stabilize my glucose levels, lost 40 pounds in the first 3 months and felt good. But at the end of December, unfortunately developed a severe case of Urticarical Vasculitis accompanied by some gastroparesis. I am very disappointed that my PCP felt the only remedy for Urticarical Vasculitis was to stop the Byetta.

January 30, 2012 8:44 PM

On 7/19/11 I had a routine A1C and my Doctor called me during the weekend to tell me to drink lots of water and stay away from sugar. My A1C was 11.0 and he was really worried. I started on Metformin 1000 mg a day and then 2000 mg a day. My blood sugar was still consistently in the mid 200's. They started me on Byetta mid-August. After getting used to the nausea, the 5 mcg dose was fine (started 8/4/2011). I switched to the 10 mcg dose one month and once again spent 3-4 weeks dealing with almost crippling nausea that not only made me sick, but worsened my panic problems. I stuck through it though because I could see the changes in my blood sugar. Yesterday 12/26/11 A1C is 5.5 and I have lost 25 lbs. Dr gave me high five!

December 27, 2011 3:59 AM

Started taking Byetta three weeks ago, no real problems associated with it other than constipation which I hate. I have never ever had this problem in my life. My numbers went up a few points the first week but on the second week has been at 100-140. I can live with that, better than the 200-300 I was at with pills. Not eating as much lost 5 pounds so far and I don't get as hungry as often as I did. So far it's working.

December 3, 2011 5:03 AM

Review by Donna78:

I started Byetta in 2005, sugars were between 300-350. My weight was around 320 also. I had horrid nausea. I threw up a lot too. My sugars immediately dropped to normal though. Now, looking back on it, I think I just ate all the wrong foods. I've been off and on Byetta over the years depending on which insurance I have had. I just started it back up two days ago after going off last month to try Onglyza. My weight is now 213 by the way.

November 18, 2010 11:40 AM

Review by Fireplug:

I just started taking Byetta. Am now on 10mcg, twice a day. The only side effect I have is feeling full. I've limited what I eat and exercise but so far have lost only one pound after a month. I am hoping I can lose more over time. Meanwhile my blood sugars are staying between 90-115. I do feel I have more energy then I've had in a long time.

October 30, 2010 2:53 PM

I have been on Byetta for 3 months now. The weight loss is good, 10 lbs and I haven't even exercised. I am on 10 mcg and still have some minimal lingering nausea. My blood sugars are doing great. The biggest side effect for me is that I never feel hungry and this is amazing to me, since before I started taking Byetta, I had a constant feeling of hunger and ate everything in sight. Now, I have to make myself eat. I love Byetta.

October 22, 2010 10:48 PM

5mg did not keep my numbers down. 10 mg works wonders however I am dizzy everyday on 10 mg.

September 28, 2010 10:50 PM

I've been on Byetta 10 mg for almost 1 month. I have lost 16 pounds already without really trying. The worst thing is the feeling sick after you eat (I feel the worse about 1 1/2 hours after taking the shot). Some days are better. No constipation like some people reported, more loose stools than anything. I plan to stay on this medicine for a long time!

April 5, 2010 3:21 PM

Review by Amanda1973:

I started Byetta 5mg in January and then upped to 10mg in February. I'm on my second month at 10mg. Unfortunately, this drug has not worked for me. I will not continue after this month's pen is done. It did NOTHING for my blood sugar numbers. I'm also on Metformin and Glipizide. It did help control my appetite but only enough to lose about 8 lbs total. I also didn't really experience bad side effects. Some occasional nausea, mostly if I didn't eat within 40-60 min of injection. I sometimes wondered if I had too much belly fat for the medicine to work properly but I'm not comfortable injecting my thigh or arm. I truly wanted this to work as wonderfully for me as it did others. Sadly, it has not.

March 29, 2010 3:59 PM

Review by Ami M:

I have been taking 5mcg of Byetta for a month now. I have lost 19 pounds. I take it about 10 minutes before my meal in the noon and also in the evening. I feel great!!! I have begin to feel like Im not loosing as much, so I am going to ask my MD next week if she will raise me to 10mcg.....This has been a miracal drug to me!!! I also only eat low carbs, and dring water or diet drinks....Thanks Byetta!!!

February 18, 2010 9:18 PM

Review by rbarnett:

I commenced Byetta 5ug/mL 10 days ago. I experienced no side effects and as this dose was not quite bringing my blood sugar levels into the therapeutic range, my consultant increased the dose from 5 to 10ug/mL after one week. I have now been on the higher dose for 3 days and continue to feel extremely well with no side effects. On diagnosis of my type 2 diabetes three weeks ago I decided to stop snacking between meals and after dinner and to be more committed to my chosen exercise regime. I have lost 6Kg (6.2Kg is 14 pounds) in three weeks. For me Byetta has contributed to a feeling of satiety which enables me to use this positive side effect to my advantage and only eat when feeling hungry and never between meals or after dinner.

January 31, 2010 5:19 PM

Today (1/26/10)- I've been using Byetta for just over a month (started on 1/1/10). I've been on a good diet and have lost 2 to 3 pounds. My sugar numbers stay under 120 - usually in the 90-115 range. If I take another med such as glipizide (4mg or less), my blood level drops too far down (65 to 80). I had to stop using any other meds with Byetta. Also, you need to check you blood sugar level a few times a day until you find a healthy balance. My goal is to loss 20 pounds. I've had no side effects from the Byetta except a bruised area where the needle goes.

January 26, 2010 2:26 PM

Review by ashdale:

I started using Byetta 5 months ago and so far it has been the most amazing experience I have ever had before Byetta I was always so tired and not motivated at all to exercise and take care of myself. I was on Actos and I strongly believe that drug was slowly killing me. I have only lost a couple of pounds so far but everything else seems to be in control and I feel like a totally new person. After this pen is finished I move up to 10 and I really hope I don't get any of the side effects because the 5 has been wonderful but if I do get the side effects I will go back to the 5 and enjoy life again. Thanks Byetta

January 25, 2010 8:44 PM

Review by 2400:

I eat right after I take Byetta and if I stay away from the fatty greasy food I do not have any problems with loose stools. I love the fact my HUGE hunger is now GONE! I lost about 8 lbs but, gained only one pound back after Thanksgiving.

December 18, 2009 5:53 PM