User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo Review Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 206 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo to treat Birth Control

"I've tried ortho-cyclen and microgestin 1/20 and diane 35 before. OC made me gain weight like crazy and I couldn't deal with the bloating; I also lost a ton of muscle mass. I've been on OTC -lo for about a week but I feel such a big difference in the degree of my side effects. I'm asian, 5'2" and 118lbs for reference. I don't feel nauseous at all, very minimal bloating, my skin's a bit clearer, and my sex drive's the same! I'm nervous about the tri-phasic style of the pill as I'm very sensitive to hormone shifts, so I may update my review after a months. I think people just really need to find a pill that most closely mimics their natural hormone levels and go up or down in estrogen and progestin as they observe the changes in their body."

Pretty good so far! (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2015

"I've been on this pill for exactly one year, and only up until this month have I got problems. Throughout the duration, I got more moody and felt more depressed the week before and 2 days into my period, I get excess yeast exactly one week after my period on the first week of my pill, and lately I've been experiencing nausea, its manageable just very irritating. My doctor suggested I switch to "Lolo" but besides that, this pill was very easy and the side effects didn't last long. They just gave me bad cramps instead of reducing it."

Aerosmith96 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 21, 2015

"I've been on these pills for 1 year and 3 months, and I've finally got the chance to switch. These pills gave me less menstrual cramps, but an increase in migraines. My libido completely died and I had depression/mood swings while on it."

LadyMocha (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 21, 2015

"I had never been on birth control before so I was super nervous when I got married to start taking it. I read all the reviews, the horror stories and success stories and it seems to me everyones body takes the pill differently. I have been on the pill for a year now. The first month was aggravating was very nauseous had a lot of extra bleeding, but now my body is use to it and I feel no side effects I take it at night before bed on a full stomach. My periods are regular (granted I have always had a regular period) my acne and weight have stayed the same. The only thing I feel is different is during that time of month I am even more moody. No pregnancy or pregnancy scares even with missing a few pills"

lambert2230 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 21, 2015

"I started this pill about 2 months ago and during both months I bled in the middle of the pack. My doc insists its just breakthrough bleeding and that I am still protected but the bleeding is hard to deal with. It's about as heavy as a period and it lasts at least 10 days! I'm considering switching because of this. Other than that, no side effects, maybe a slight shift in mood... I'm a little more agitated than usual."

tmdp (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2015

"This was by far the worst pill I have been on. I ended up getting my period the week after the placebo pills. I did not find the point in that. My cramps were so bad I would cry. I do not recommend this to anyone at all. The cost was good though."

JuJu Grate (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2015

"I am on my third month of this birth control and I am satisfied with it. The first week I took it, I would take the pill at night and then wake up in the morning with vomiting or nausea. The morning after I took the very first pill was the worst. This occurred the first few white pills of the second pack as well, however it subsided after a few days. I noticed I was moodier than usual the first few weeks but that went away. I'm glad I didn't stop taking it because now I don't even notice anything negative. I haven't gained weight, it hasn't helped my acne but it hasn't hurt it either, so that's fine with me. My periods became lighter for fewer days and MUCH less painful. My cramps are so much better now. Most importantly, I'm not pregnant."

btlcec (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2015

"I have been taking this birth control for about 4 years now and I love it! It was my first birth control which I had received free from Planned Parenthood. I have had literally no side effects and my period is perfectly regulated each month. I would recommend this to anyone. Since its low estrogen I did not see increased breast size or decreased acne."

kmtraver (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 30, 2015

"I was on this pill for almost 7 years straight. I had zero issues with side effects. No mood swings, nausea, depression or changes in appetite. Sex drive was the same if not increased. I had fluctuated with weight on this pill but it was because of bad diets. I ended up loosing the weight with proper eating habits and exercise. The problem I have with this pill is that towards the end of my time on it I started getting break through bleeding. IT IS ANNOYING. Otherwise this pill is perfect for me. I went off the pill for a few years and went back on to this because of ovarian cysts. After a few months the breakthrough bleeding still came back. Sometimes it's so light I don't notice, other times it's like having a second period."

Meowmers (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 28, 2015

"I'm about 4 months in, the first month was pretty dreadful. I was sick all the time, even to the point were I was throwing up. After that however it became much more bearable. Acne has somewhat cleared up, but also put on like 10 pounds. Even with my active lifestyle. That might be because I'm reaching my 30s? I've lost some of my sex drive though which is a bit depressing. Cramps aren't as intense. Overall I'm pretty happy with it."

Flutter6+ (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2015

"I've been taking this brand for about four months now and haven't had any problems. Not sure why other women are experiencing such negative results from this brand. I got this for free at planned parenthood and she said it was one of the most popular brands. I haven't gain any weight, have't had any mood swings, and my sex drive hasn't been diminished. Oh and most importantly I haven't gotten pregnant. So far, so good!"

Amy Darling (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2015

"I feel it is my duty to write a review since I read so many before taking the medication. I'll first say I'm crazy about weight! I was so scared of potential weight gain. The first week I put on like 4 pounds. Increased water intake and it was off by the next week. Also before taking the medication my acne was bad. I'm three weeks in and my face is looking great. I LOVE this medication. The break through bleeding was pretty bad at first and sometimes I feel crazy and hormonal but it is very minimal. Love love love."

Boss bitch (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2015

"A few friends reccomended this brand and said it did not give them any side effects. I was sold on that alone. A couple of weeks in, I started to get horrible cystic acne on my chin. I am prone to breakouts and have heard Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo helps CLEAR up skin...so I was confused about this side effect. Once the first cyst was gone, another one shortly came up. It was never ending. Started my second pack, The same thing happened again with the cystic acne. I almost wanted to get off the pill because of it. But I loved that I did not have any other side effects. No weight gain, no moodiness, and my sex drive actually increased. Finally, half way through my 3rd pack the cysts were gone. All in all, it's a great pill besides the cysts I got."

Mc2015 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2015

"I love this birth control. After reading all of the reviews, I was really scared to go on it, but ever since, I have nothing but good things to say. No weight gain, haven't gotten pregnant, plus my sex drive is through the roof now. The only downside is that I'm way more emotional than I usually am; like crying a lot and getting mad more often at little things. But I've been told that that will improve as time goes on. Plus I get this birth control for free. I would definitely recommend this to people!"

tcp09 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2015

"My sex drive completely disappeared and it caused me as well as my husband much distress and depression. Two weeks after stopping the medication, my sex drive came back with a vengeance. So happy I decided to stop taking this pill."

Jojo426 February 16, 2015

"I started taking this when I was 15 for irregular period & horrible cramps. I was on it for about a year & loved it but stopped taking it. I noticed over time (about a year & a half) that my periods had been getting worse and worse. I'm 18 now and decided to go back on it. I'm 3 months in, and it's working perfectly! However, the first month I had a lot of break through bleeding, and noticed I was more irritable. But I am fine now, and love this pill! Side note: be careful if you get sick and have to take antibiotics. I would recommend using back up birth control methods with the pill until you are done taking the antibiotics. Because the antibiotics reduce the effectiveness of the pill. Not many people know this."

Kels5789 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2015

"Since starting this pill, I've had a three week cycle, major breakouts, mood swings, and lack of appetite. I've only been on it one month, but that was enough."

Mpec January 23, 2015

"Overall as a birth control it did its job, me and my husband never used a back up birth control, and in the year and a half I was on it, I didn't get pregnant. The reason I'm only giving it an 8 is because around the time I was getting my period, I would go insane. Crying a lot...yelling, getting really angry for no reason. I had a low sex drive while I was taking it but other than that it got rid of my terrible cramps, and my acne cleared up a lot also. I just switched to Apri so we will see how that goes."

beccaf January 14, 2015

"I started on this birth control when I was 18 and 9 years later I sadly need to switch due to a change in my insurance. It is SO expensive on a high deductible plan. But when I was on it, it really helped keep my cycle super regular, skin clear, and no weight gain. But with most pills, you cant miss a day or more, otherwise the nausea/cramps are out of control! "

eppppppro (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 13, 2015

"I'm 16 and I took Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo because I suffer from hormonal severe acne. I've had horrible acne since 7th grade. On the issue of acne, while I was on the pill, after 3 months my skin was clear. In the last remaining week, I got sick everyday. Then I was finished with my pill because it cured my acne. Suddenly a couple months later, my acne returned again. I just started taking my pill again. I am feeling the nausea and headaches. I take the pill at night, so I don't feel it when I go to bed. Unfortunately the following morning I feel intense nausea. If you are looking to treat acne this is the pill. Just the side effects can be a pain."

ACB16 January 9, 2015

"I absolutely loved this birth control. It was my first experience using hormonal birth control methods and it worked great for me. Had no cramping, bleeding, or weight gain. Some breast swelling and tenderness but nothing too severe. No moodiness or anything which was great. Had super light periods too. Only downside was price. Currently switching to Tri-Previfem because even with insurance it costs $60."

cgcal1063 December 29, 2014

"I started taking Ortho Tri Cyclin Lo when I was 16 because I had horrible, horrible cramps and heavy bleeding. I've been on it for 13 years now and I absolutely love it! I'm 5'5 and weigh 115-120 my weight sometimes it fluctuates 5 pounds or so but I never had any major weight gain taking this medicine. I went off of it a year ago for a few months... my skin got soooo mad at me!! I had awful acne on my jaw line - my doctor told me it was hormonally related. Once I went back on it my skin cleared up, my cramps were gone and my period was light and lasted about 3-4 days. It's been a wonderful solution for issues encountered during my period."

LAPinCLE December 14, 2014

"I have used this birth control for a year now and I have not had ANY side effects. Even when I first started taking it nothing changed. I love how regular I am now and I love that it works perfectly as a contraceptive. I would really recommend this birth control to girls in their late teens if they decide to go on birth control like me (19). I really do love it. It's a great birth control."

kapowee21 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 10, 2014

"Recently got back on birth control after many years of not being on it. This pill is okay. It's a contraceptive and does its job, but it wasn't the pill for me. Easy to take by mouth, no big deal. But, the side effects for me were: I would headaches after taking the pill and sometimes randomly during the day. Also, the third week i started the new color, my emotions were off the wall. I wasn't eating properly and was over thinking EVERYTHING. I asked to switch & now will be trying the generic version. Just because this pill wasn't for me, doesn't mean it is for someone else."

sunlika August 20, 2014

"I went on this pill a while back to help regulate my period and help with severe cramps. I had an extremely heavy flow and my cramps were so unbearable. Also, I would get my period for 12 days, sometimes twice a month. Since being on the pill, I usually dont get any cramps which is amazing. I also noticed that my skin is always 100% clear. However, I would say that I gained a solid 20 pounds since being on the pill and am currently trying to work it off with healthy eating and regular exercise. Side note, the first week i took this i was throwing up every night and feeling nauseated but if you stick with it those side effects eventually subside. Overall, besides the weight gain I would say that this pill has done wonders."

Melly16 July 28, 2014