User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 226 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo to treat Birth Control

"I personally have problems with most birth control so I do not want to give Tri-Cyclen Lo completely bad review but do want to share experience since my doctor will not believe me. Over the last year have been trying the different birthcontols and when I first started Tri-Cyclen Low it seemed like the best of all the evils. I was quite nauseous and hungry all the time but I tried to control this with really good food options and delt with the feeling. Now going on six months of Tri-Cyclen I have found that I am extremely depressed, lightheaded and dizzy all the time. The pain of nausea and hunger is constant and painful. I am at a loss of what to do since my doctor isn't listening to me."

Breezy Baby February 5, 2016

"I started taking this pill from July 2013 to Dec 2014. Had absolutely no problems with it. Helped me regulate my period, which was awesome. Got off the pill, 4 months later, boom!.. pregnant lol. But I'm back at it, once again. I truly like this pill."

Rizzitos (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 4, 2016

"I was on this pill for 4-5 years. I never realized how crazy it made me until I came off of it! I seriously constantly thought about eating and was never satisfied. The first month I was off my appetite cut in half and I lost 8 lbs! (138 to 130, so it's not like 8 lbs was insignificant). Since then I've dropped another 3 - doing absolutely NOTHING. I had a weird constant white/yellow discharge on this pill for over a year that my Drs couldn't explain . I'm not sure if all of this is just from this particular pill or if I'd be like this on any HBC, but after my first month off I felt so much better I decided to get the copper IUD instead of a new hormonal option."

Tina6225 January 28, 2016

"When I first started taking ortho lo, my moderate acne cleared up! My periods were SO much lighter. However, adjusting to this pill was hell. Mood swings, crying, psycho basically. After 6 months, I was fine. 5 years later and I am still on, never got pregnant, no acne, light periods, very moody during PMS but no cramps. I think it is worth it for sure. I have gained weight however I started at 17 and am now 22- college probably made me gain those few pounds."

Dani93 January 21, 2016

"I have been on this birth control going on 5 years this May and about 2-3 years ago I noticed that I have been discharging severely (yellowish liquid) almost everyday. Does anybody else experience this while on this BC? Also the mood swings are terrible as well."

Anonymous Ones January 16, 2016

"This birth control is great, except I missed a pill one day and doubled up the next day and I had my period for over a month! It's great compared to my last pill, which was marvalon, which caused me to have mental confusion, gain over 25 lbs! & caused me to have low iron. Now this pill I've lost 15lbs of the 25 lbs without diet or excercise and other then the one little mess up my mental confusion has mostly gone away!"

xo.boo.xo (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2016

"I've been on the generic version of this medication for two years now and everything is great except I've gained over 40 lbs."

mirrxndaa December 27, 2015

"I was on this pill for 2 years. I originally got on for acne and just for general protection but I had some negative effects. The first few months I had horrible nausea. I had to take it right before bed and I vomited a few times. After a while my body adjusted and it was perfect for me, until I got pregnant. I took it the same time every night and still managed to get pregnant. After birth I got back on and it's made my skin a living nightmare. I switched to ortho cyclen with hopefully more luck."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 26, 2015

"Took this pill for about two days, third day I woke up in the middle of the night and threw up. Instead of throwing up once and feeling better I threw up the whole night and felt sick the whole day. The next day I took the pill again since I thought all I had was the flu, and threw up again.. It just didn't stay in my stomach. Horrible."

Annnaa December 22, 2015

"I've been on ortho tricylen lo for over 8 years now and I never want to switch. Obviously in the beginning the first month or so was a little annoying.. getting my period still pretty heavy and if I skipped a pill more than once in a month I would spot, but I think that is normal. I've always gotten my period for 4-6 days on this pill too which most people would hate, considering loestrin takers don't even get a period anymore, but I think this is NATURAL. Our bodies are engineered to have periods so I think not having one at all is not good. As long as you take your pill everyday I would highly recommend. I have never experienced any bad side effects and if I ever did gain weight it was from college not my birth control."

mShags (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 15, 2015

"The second day of using this pill I got a really bad headache and vomiting occured. I do not recommend this pill much rather prefer micronor"

Badpill December 11, 2015

"I used to have acne simplex and a not so regular period, it would be monthly but it would be way outta whack. I'd start on the first and then I'd start again on the 18th of next month. My doctor recommend me this pill and I was worried about weight gain but I have actually felt like I've lost a little bit of weight within a month of taking it DAILY AT THE SAME TIME EVERYDAY. I feel slimmer and my face is clearing up! The only down side to it is I have brown spotting, but it's nothing that would cause concern as I was told it was a regular side effect of being on BC. I'd like to point out I take my BC at 8pm, I'm not sure if taking it in the morning or at night makes a difference for weight gain/weight loss, but I have heard the argument."

Aaownwosne (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2015

"I hated this method. I've been on it for two months and I've bled every single day since. I would not recommend it at all! I was so disappointed not to mention how it totally ended my sex life."

LalaMarah December 2, 2015

"I've been on the pill a couple months now and love it. No weight gain, it has cleared up my skin, prevented pregnancy, regulated and lightened my periods. My only compliant is that I have no appetite at all and I'm constantly thirsty, which is annoying. Other than that, nothing but a positive experience all around and my skin has never looked more flawless!"

Christine Olivia November 23, 2015

"My gyno reccommended this, and this was my first time taking BC pills. I got my period twice in the first month I tried it. My cramps were still pretty severe and I kept getting like brown liquid after my period would finish. After two months, I'm going to switch to another brand because of the pain with my cramps, this brown liquid, and it was a little expensive. I didn't want to give it below 5 stars because I didn't try it for a long enough time for it to adjust. However, I didn't see an increase in weight gain and my boobs grew a tiny bit ."

Aloe Vera November 23, 2015

"I have been on this birth control for quite sometime I had many side effects such as weight gain, dizziness/Lightheadedness, nausea, vomiting, severe onset of migraines and headaches, moodiness. It was a great way to regulate my period and protect against pregnancy I have been on it for 5 years. I stopped taking it for at least 6 months to a year and all of the side effects were gone, however, I became active again and started taking it I have been on it for more than 6 months now and have gained more weight, more headaches/migraines, more moodiness, increased dizziness and lightheadedness, it was a good way to start my periods regularly and to get them on track, but I can do without all of these side effects and being tired all the time."

kahb November 22, 2015

"I've been on the pill for five years now, only using Ortho Tricyclen Lo and I'd have to say I love it. When I first started taking it I did feel nauseous the first two weeks but after that my body adjusted and I was fine. I have bad eating habits and don't exercise regularly. I'm 5'7 and 210lbs, and work in a busy resturaunt where I'm always on my feet (to give a fair idea on my body /living style.) I recently started getting head aches when I reached 21. There was a time during this year where my periods didn't start regularly (due to a big change and busy schedule) but that was because I would accidently forget to take the last four pills in the pack. My period would start a day or two late but once I set a sure schedule, it was regular"

Dani D (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 12, 2015

"I was on Tri-cylen Lo for almost 9 years and my doctor forced me to stop because my BP was high. I miss this pill so much. My periods were consistent down to a time of day. I never had any issues with this pill and now after 4 months on a "less harmful" pill my BP is higher and I'm miserable. Lifestyle choices got in the way - not this pill."

Swa (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 27, 2015

"I started ortho tri cyclen lo 4 months ago. The first month wasn't that great I got my period twice and had severe cramping. The second month I only got my got my period once during the placebo pills. Since I was 14 I started to break out and all the way to high school and college it still continued. Even after multiple dermatologist visits, laser treatments, Antibiotics nothing ever helped. I decided to give this a try and to be honest my acne has vanished about 100% of it. The first 2 months I still would break out but I noticed month 3 my skin was clearing drastically and by month 4 (in which I am now going into month 5) my skin seems flawless. I will get a breakout every once in a while but overall it has helped !!!"

Mcccccc October 26, 2015

"Got on it mainly to have normal period regulation, had a drastic increased appetite and odviously caused drastic weight gain but now decided to get off of it in hopes to lose weight. Was working ou g trying everything for months and could not lose the weight this pill. It did keep me from getting pregnant but I would not recommend unless you are ok with no weight control."

Anonymous October 26, 2015

"For the first few months everything was ok and I had no symptoms at all. The past few weeks have been bad though because I've been getting spotting, nausea, vomiting, cramps, and mood swings. My friend has been taking this birth control for 6 years and has recently stopped taking it due to similar symptoms. Not quite sure what to think of this bc anymore."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 20, 2015

"I really like this medication.I dont really have any side effects on it. Of course with any birth control you feel slightly dizzy and tired when you first start taking it , But after a few weeks that wears off and my body adjusted. I switched from Aviane to this and Iam extremly satisfied!With Aviane I was depressed , confused easily and even my vision would get blurry and also sex drive was completly shot. With this medication though, I have no side effects and I am really happy :)Especially that I still have a sex drive on it..I have been on it one month."

kaewright September 21, 2015

"I have been on birth control for 6 years. I went on it because my period were painful and made me very sick two days out of the month. I was on a generic brand of ortho tri cyclen and when insurance started to cover the name brand completely I switch to ortho tri cyclen. During the first couple years on birth control my period were much better and predictable but I would feel nauseous when I started taking my pill again after my period. Once my body got used to being on the pill the nausea stopped. Spring 2015, after being on ortho tri cyclen my insurance out of the blue stopped covering it and that is when I switched to ortho tri cyclen lo. This is the best BC I have been on. I haven't gained weight and the only side effect is headaches."

CP16 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 29, 2015

"I was on this medicine for about a year. I had weird side effects. But then I developed blood clots in my lungs (pulmonary emboli) that almost killed me. Dr's think that it was this pill that caused it. I now have lung damage."

Sof August 28, 2015

"I was on Tri-cyclen Lo for five years, it was my first contraceptive and it was amazing. I had no side effects and I never got pregnant once. I did not gain weight and it did not affect me in any negative way possible. I recently switched to Alysena and so far it has been horrible. Recommend Tri-cyclen lo for anyone! It's a great contraceptive and 100% effective for me."

Abbie1022 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 28, 2015