Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo review summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 201 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo to treat Birth Control

Review by kapowee21 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have used this birth control for a year now and I have not had ANY side effects. Even when I first started taking it nothing changed. I love how regular I am now and I love that it works perfectly as a contraceptive. I would really recommend this birth control to girls in their late teens if they decide to go on birth control like me (19). I really do love it. It's a great birth control.

October 10, 2014 3:49 PM

Review by sunlika:

Recently got back on birth control after many years of not being on it. This pill is okay. It's a contraceptive and does its job, but it wasn't the pill for me. Easy to take by mouth, no big deal. But, the side effects for me were: I would headaches after taking the pill and sometimes randomly during the day. Also, the third week i started the new color, my emotions were off the wall. I wasn't eating properly and was over thinking EVERYTHING. I asked to switch & now will be trying the generic version. Just because this pill wasn't for me, doesn't mean it is for someone else.

August 20, 2014 2:05 PM

Review by Melly16:

I went on this pill a while back to help regulate my period and help with severe cramps. I had an extremely heavy flow and my cramps were so unbearable. Also, I would get my period for 12 days, sometimes twice a month. Since being on the pill, I usually dont get any cramps which is amazing. I also noticed that my skin is always 100% clear. However, I would say that I gained a solid 20 pounds since being on the pill and am currently trying to work it off with healthy eating and regular exercise. Side note, the first week i took this i was throwing up every night and feeling nauseated but if you stick with it those side effects eventually subside. Overall, besides the weight gain I would say that this pill has done wonders.

July 28, 2014 11:39 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'd never been on birth control up until a few months ago, and I was given Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo as a starter, because I did not want it to have much hormones. I went through two whole packs and decided to switch because of extremely low sex drive, extreme mood swings and increased appetite (I would eat a full meal and two hours later my stomach would be growling again). My relationship began to suffer due to these side effects so I stopped taking it and am back to normal. However, this pill DID have pros: I didn't get pregnant, it regulated my period and caused no breakouts or acne. But be wary of weight gain, decreased libido and mood swings.

July 20, 2014 3:44 PM

Review by addyhav:

I have not had really any problems. EXCEPT. I feel nauseous all the dang time. It's terrible. Besides that I have had clear skin and I use to have 7 day period. And it slimmed down to 5 which is no problem. But being nauseous all the time is terrible.

July 17, 2014 10:11 AM

Review by newbtocontrol:

I'm on the first week and I've been crying for no reason, getting angry at basically the drop of a pen and extremely exhausted and hungry. I hope this changes soon.. I'll give it two months at most, I hope to see an improvement in that time.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 30, 2014 3:59 AM

Review by AGB310:

Long story short, I had been on Necon for 8 years with no problems (clear skin, regular period, no mood swings). Recently there was some big shortage on Necon so my pharmacy replaced it with Nortrel which gave me really bad chin acne. I went to my Dr and she recommended Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo and said it was good for clearing skin. The first 2 pill packs my face went NUTS. I had acne all over the place. I was so upset and wanted to go off it immediately. But, I read reviews online and people said to give it a chance. I'm glad I did. My skin is now better than its ever been after 4 months. I rarely ever get cramps and do not have PMS at all. All I can say is give your body time to get adjusted if you are starting off on this pill and not liking it.

June 5, 2014 8:54 PM

Review by engineergirl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I switched from Levora/Portia. It's my second month on this pill and I am really loving it! Aside from some migraines, which I'm hoping they'll go away soon, no side effects. No acne, my mood has improved, no weight gain (that I've noticed), and it works perfectly to prevent pregnancy. Highly recommended!

May 14, 2014 2:44 PM

Review by Reviewer-ML:

I have been on this pill for exactly 1 year more for PMS. I have no previous birth control pill experience. I have found it to be easy to transition on to, with very few negative side effects. The first month I felt only mildly nauseated. I took this pill to help me with some of my more intense PMS symptoms. It took about 2-3 months before I saw shorter lighter periods, less cramping, and fewer acne break outs. After around 10 months it seemed that my old PMS symptoms were returning with menstrual breakouts, cramps, irritability, etc. This pill works and overall there were no major issues, but I found that the positive side effects started to go away after awhile. So I'm switching to the higher estrogen dose for that reason only.

May 14, 2014 11:58 AM

Review by Michellebell:

I'm on my second month and I'd say it's doing what it's intended to do. My periods are slightly less heavy and I don't have the normal monthly cramping like I used to. I have not lost my sex drive, and if anything its been increased. However, I did notice a change in appetite and a feeling of never feeling full. I seem to want to eat everything in my path. My acne seems unchanged, but maybe it's too early to notice.

May 13, 2014 7:39 PM

Review by Anaclick (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been on this birth control for about three weeks now, going into my second cycle. I so far have not experienced any side effects that I know of. The first week I had a few intense headaches, but there was also a major weather fluctuation where I live, so I can't say for sure what was the cause. Otherwise, no migraines, spotting, nausea, or muscle pain. I have actually been losing weight since I started the pill, but I would like to think it's my healthy lifestyle doing the work. Contraceptive wise, still not pregnant, so that's fine. For long term benefits risks i.e.: acne, hair loss I cannot say much. My skin is more or less the same. I have moderate to slight acne, so it may not even be hormonal. So far, so good.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 4, 2014 12:25 PM

Review by JullesG (taken for less than 1 month):

To help with bad case of PMS (acne, depression, anxiety), decided to start something that will help regulate my periods and balance my hormones. Just started this, and now on day 5, and my only complaint is I feel like I have 'morning sickness'. I'm so sick to my stomach not long after taking it. And prescription nausea meds don't help. I'm not expecting the acne to clear up immediately, but on plus side, no depression and anxiety, which is huge win. So far, if the nausea leaves within next couple months, I will continue this medication.

April 15, 2014 12:13 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am always crying and moody (my poor boyfriend). Sometimes, it is never that serious and I would realize that the next day. I'm 21 and in college and that is stressful enough. I have my sex drive still intact, but I am always hungry (I've always been this way but know it is out of control)! I eat everything in sight. This is becoming really expensive for me and my boyfriend. Other than that I have regulated less painful periods, no bloating, and they are very on time. I like it because of the low hormone levels but I am emotional.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2014 10:18 PM

Review by JLP439:

Pros: No mood changes, felt great, did not get pregnant, very light periods. Cons: Definitely gained 15 pounds... was on the pill for one year where the weight came on almost immediately after starting it. When I went off, the pounds melted away within two months and I was back to my pre-pill weight. Very annoying, since otherwise the pill was perfect.

April 4, 2014 1:03 PM

Review by Alex p. (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I started using this birth control after a previous one since it was too strong (on it for 4 months). I have been using this for 7 months and I have since gained 30 lbs. I eat very healthy and exercise 5 days a week, as well as live in a city so I walk up to 8 miles a day. Plus I am in training for a marathon, so I should be losing weight not gaining it. I used this birth control for acne as well as for preventing pregnancy. I can say I have had no pregnancy scares and my period came the same day every month, so I always knew when I would be getting it. It has cleared up my acne a little, however not a lot. This is my last month taking it as it is most likely the reason I gained so much weight, plus it took away my sex drive.

April 3, 2014 10:01 PM

Review by asdfjshs:

I've been on this birth control for a two months now & have experienced almost zero bad side effects. I have lost my appetite most of the time, which has resulted in me losing a little weight, which can be considered a negative or a positive. I have been getting angry very easily since I've been on this medicine but I've always had issues with my anger so it isn't a huge difference. My skin has actually cleared up and I do have sex with my boyfriend without condoms sometimes and we have not gotten pregnant or had any pregnancy scares. I would recommend this even though everyone reacts to birth control differently!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 26, 2014 6:35 PM

Review by Missypoobear45 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I was on this birth control for over a year. It worked great for me. No pregnancy, regulated my period and clear up my acne. Only down side I gain 15 pounds even after eating healthy and exercising 5 times a week. I got off it 6 months ago to see if the weight gain was because of the pill and sure enough it was. I've lost all the weight I've gained, but it took some times and effort. It's a great product, just don't like the weight gain.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 21, 2014 4:30 PM

Review by Jade.m.C:

I've only been on it for a month, but I'm really liking it so far. I haven't experienced any noticeable side effects. I have trouble with irregular & painful periods, acne, depression, mood swings, insomnia, etc. So far I've noticed that I haven't broken out since I started this birth control. I also have felt less depressed. I've had 1 period while on this birth control and it was just as painful as usual, but the bleeding was much slower and much lighter. (I go through 2 tampons every 8 hours as opposed to 2 every 1 hour) I haven't noticed any mood swings and my insomnia has definitely improved. Overall I really like this birth control. The only thing that could make it better is if it made my periods completely pain-free.

March 14, 2014 11:45 PM

Review by Ashleyyyyyyyyyyy:

I have been on this birth control for 6 months now and highly considering going off of birth control completely. This pill makes me nauseous, my breasts are always tender and if I'm not crying, I'm in a screaming fit of rage (my poor husband). It does regulate your cycles. My period usually lasted 9 days and now it only lasts 3 or 4. But I'd take 9 days periods over feeling like this any day.

March 12, 2014 9:30 PM

I've been taking this birth control for three months now and I've gained 15lbs. I haven't changed my diet and I work out regularly, my acne has gotten worse and I'm depressed all the time, even my friends agree it's really affected my mood. I'm going to stop taking it now that I'm single, The only good thing was that it's very reliable for not getting pregnant or even pregnancy scares.

March 10, 2014 10:38 PM

Review by mikaflgold:

I am currently on my first pack of Ortho Tri-Cyclen and am not sure whether this is the pill I will stay with or not. I definitely noticed a big change in my irritability while taking this, and my mom even confirmed that my personality has been affected. I have also been worried that it has made me gain a little weight, or just made it harder for me to lose weight this month. I started taking levothyroxine at the same time, and really should be losing weight. Also, I have noticed a change for the worse in my hair and my nails- so...that seems like a lot of side effects. I was staying on the Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo because I have been reading that it takes up to 3 months for the side effects to go away.

February 28, 2014 1:45 PM

Review by S.E.:

I've been on Ortho- Tri Cyclen Lo for a little over a year now. I had a positive experience with it when I was a teen so I wanted to try this again. At first I loved it. Now I have acne, which I've NEVER had a big problem with, crazy mood swings, and a low libido (not to mention vaginal dryness...) Hoping maybe a few more months will get me over this bad spell. I would love to continue taking it because this birth control has never let me down.

February 25, 2014 10:20 PM

Review by sccali (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have tried Yaz, Nuvaring, Paraguard IUD, and other pills. This is the only pill that I have little to no side effects. Normally I become emotional and gain weight on birth control. I have been on this for 9 months and have lost 15 lbs (because of a healthier lifestyle). My skin hasn't broken out, though I am not sure this pill will help if you have acne (I took Accutane before going on this pill). My period is fairly regular. That's my only complaint. I had one month where I got my period 3 times. Overall I would definitely recommend this pill. Also even if you're a big woman, this pill with lower dose of hormones can work for you. I'm 5'11" and 165 lbs! TRY IT!

February 2, 2014 1:42 PM

Review by Seleneee26 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on this pill for 3 months and I have suffered every side effect. The only reason I continue to take it is because of the low hormone levels. I have headaches with neurological symptoms, change in appetite, my breast were enlarged for 2 months then went down to normal size. I'm also suffering from depression and I lost my sex drive as well as I can't climax. My skin looks better.

January 15, 2014 11:22 PM

Review by Emily P:

I started off by taking regular Ortho Tri Cyclen, which helped some with my acne, but I also became severely depressed, so I went off it. After a year and a half of not taking birth control at all, I began taking Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo for acne, and after 4 months my skin is MUCH clearer. If I do get pimples, they are much smaller and more shallow than before, and go away quicker. I am pleased!

December 23, 2013 10:14 PM