Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo review summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo to treat Birth Control

Review by Jojo426:

My sex drive completely disappeared and it caused me as well as my husband much distress and depression. Two weeks after stopping the medication, my sex drive came back with a vengeance. So happy I decided to stop taking this pill.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2015 1:08 PM

Review by Kels5789 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started taking this when I was 15 for irregular period & horrible cramps. I was on it for about a year & loved it but stopped taking it. I noticed over time (about a year & a half) that my periods had been getting worse and worse. I'm 18 now and decided to go back on it. I'm 3 months in, and it's working perfectly! However, the first month I had a lot of break through bleeding, and noticed I was more irritable. But I am fine now, and love this pill! Side note: be careful if you get sick and have to take antibiotics. I would recommend using back up birth control methods with the pill until you are done taking the antibiotics. Because the antibiotics reduce the effectiveness of the pill. Not many people know this.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 30, 2015 12:19 PM

Review by Mpec:

Since starting this pill, I've had a three week cycle, major breakouts, mood swings, and lack of appetite. I've only been on it one month, but that was enough.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2015 3:40 PM

Review by beccaf:

Overall as a birth control it did its job, me and my husband never used a back up birth control, and in the year and a half I was on it, I didn't get pregnant. The reason I'm only giving it an 8 is because around the time I was getting my period, I would go insane. Crying a lot...yelling, getting really angry for no reason. I had a low sex drive while I was taking it but other than that it got rid of my terrible cramps, and my acne cleared up a lot also. I just switched to Apri so we will see how that goes.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2015 3:30 PM

Review by eppppppro (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I started on this birth control when I was 18 and 9 years later I sadly need to switch due to a change in my insurance. It is SO expensive on a high deductible plan. But when I was on it, it really helped keep my cycle super regular, skin clear, and no weight gain. But with most pills, you cant miss a day or more, otherwise the nausea/cramps are out of control!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 13, 2015 10:18 PM

Review by cgcal1063:

I absolutely loved this birth control. It was my first experience using hormonal birth control methods and it worked great for me. Had no cramping, bleeding, or weight gain. Some breast swelling and tenderness but nothing too severe. No moodiness or anything which was great. Had super light periods too. Only downside was price. Currently switching to Tri-Previfem because even with insurance it costs $60.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2014 4:00 PM

Review by LAPinCLE:

I started taking Ortho Tri Cyclin Lo when I was 16 because I had horrible, horrible cramps and heavy bleeding. I've been on it for 13 years now and I absolutely love it! I'm 5'5 and weigh 115-120 my weight sometimes it fluctuates 5 pounds or so but I never had any major weight gain taking this medicine. I went off of it a year ago for a few months... my skin got soooo mad at me!! I had awful acne on my jaw line - my doctor told me it was hormonally related. Once I went back on it my skin cleared up, my cramps were gone and my period was light and lasted about 3-4 days. It's been a wonderful solution for issues encountered during my period.

December 14, 2014 12:48 AM

Review by kapowee21 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have used this birth control for a year now and I have not had ANY side effects. Even when I first started taking it nothing changed. I love how regular I am now and I love that it works perfectly as a contraceptive. I would really recommend this birth control to girls in their late teens if they decide to go on birth control like me (19). I really do love it. It's a great birth control.

October 10, 2014 3:49 PM

Review by sunlika:

Recently got back on birth control after many years of not being on it. This pill is okay. It's a contraceptive and does its job, but it wasn't the pill for me. Easy to take by mouth, no big deal. But, the side effects for me were: I would headaches after taking the pill and sometimes randomly during the day. Also, the third week i started the new color, my emotions were off the wall. I wasn't eating properly and was over thinking EVERYTHING. I asked to switch & now will be trying the generic version. Just because this pill wasn't for me, doesn't mean it is for someone else.

August 20, 2014 2:05 PM

Review by Melly16:

I went on this pill a while back to help regulate my period and help with severe cramps. I had an extremely heavy flow and my cramps were so unbearable. Also, I would get my period for 12 days, sometimes twice a month. Since being on the pill, I usually dont get any cramps which is amazing. I also noticed that my skin is always 100% clear. However, I would say that I gained a solid 20 pounds since being on the pill and am currently trying to work it off with healthy eating and regular exercise. Side note, the first week i took this i was throwing up every night and feeling nauseated but if you stick with it those side effects eventually subside. Overall, besides the weight gain I would say that this pill has done wonders.

July 28, 2014 11:39 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'd never been on birth control up until a few months ago, and I was given Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo as a starter, because I did not want it to have much hormones. I went through two whole packs and decided to switch because of extremely low sex drive, extreme mood swings and increased appetite (I would eat a full meal and two hours later my stomach would be growling again). My relationship began to suffer due to these side effects so I stopped taking it and am back to normal. However, this pill DID have pros: I didn't get pregnant, it regulated my period and caused no breakouts or acne. But be wary of weight gain, decreased libido and mood swings.

July 20, 2014 3:44 PM

Review by addyhav:

I have not had really any problems. EXCEPT. I feel nauseous all the dang time. It's terrible. Besides that I have had clear skin and I use to have 7 day period. And it slimmed down to 5 which is no problem. But being nauseous all the time is terrible.

July 17, 2014 10:11 AM

Review by newbtocontrol:

I'm on the first week and I've been crying for no reason, getting angry at basically the drop of a pen and extremely exhausted and hungry. I hope this changes soon.. I'll give it two months at most, I hope to see an improvement in that time.

June 30, 2014 3:59 AM

Review by AGB310:

Long story short, I had been on Necon for 8 years with no problems (clear skin, regular period, no mood swings). Recently there was some big shortage on Necon so my pharmacy replaced it with Nortrel which gave me really bad chin acne. I went to my Dr and she recommended Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo and said it was good for clearing skin. The first 2 pill packs my face went NUTS. I had acne all over the place. I was so upset and wanted to go off it immediately. But, I read reviews online and people said to give it a chance. I'm glad I did. My skin is now better than its ever been after 4 months. I rarely ever get cramps and do not have PMS at all. All I can say is give your body time to get adjusted if you are starting off on this pill and not liking it.

June 5, 2014 8:54 PM

Review by engineergirl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I switched from Levora/Portia. It's my second month on this pill and I am really loving it! Aside from some migraines, which I'm hoping they'll go away soon, no side effects. No acne, my mood has improved, no weight gain (that I've noticed), and it works perfectly to prevent pregnancy. Highly recommended!

May 14, 2014 2:44 PM

Review by Reviewer-ML:

I have been on this pill for exactly 1 year more for PMS. I have no previous birth control pill experience. I have found it to be easy to transition on to, with very few negative side effects. The first month I felt only mildly nauseated. I took this pill to help me with some of my more intense PMS symptoms. It took about 2-3 months before I saw shorter lighter periods, less cramping, and fewer acne break outs. After around 10 months it seemed that my old PMS symptoms were returning with menstrual breakouts, cramps, irritability, etc. This pill works and overall there were no major issues, but I found that the positive side effects started to go away after awhile. So I'm switching to the higher estrogen dose for that reason only.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 14, 2014 11:58 AM

Review by Michellebell:

I'm on my second month and I'd say it's doing what it's intended to do. My periods are slightly less heavy and I don't have the normal monthly cramping like I used to. I have not lost my sex drive, and if anything its been increased. However, I did notice a change in appetite and a feeling of never feeling full. I seem to want to eat everything in my path. My acne seems unchanged, but maybe it's too early to notice.

May 13, 2014 7:39 PM

Review by Anaclick (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been on this birth control for about three weeks now, going into my second cycle. I so far have not experienced any side effects that I know of. The first week I had a few intense headaches, but there was also a major weather fluctuation where I live, so I can't say for sure what was the cause. Otherwise, no migraines, spotting, nausea, or muscle pain. I have actually been losing weight since I started the pill, but I would like to think it's my healthy lifestyle doing the work. Contraceptive wise, still not pregnant, so that's fine. For long term benefits risks i.e.: acne, hair loss I cannot say much. My skin is more or less the same. I have moderate to slight acne, so it may not even be hormonal. So far, so good.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 4, 2014 12:25 PM

Review by JullesG (taken for less than 1 month):

To help with bad case of PMS (acne, depression, anxiety), decided to start something that will help regulate my periods and balance my hormones. Just started this, and now on day 5, and my only complaint is I feel like I have 'morning sickness'. I'm so sick to my stomach not long after taking it. And prescription nausea meds don't help. I'm not expecting the acne to clear up immediately, but on plus side, no depression and anxiety, which is huge win. So far, if the nausea leaves within next couple months, I will continue this medication.

April 15, 2014 12:13 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am always crying and moody (my poor boyfriend). Sometimes, it is never that serious and I would realize that the next day. I'm 21 and in college and that is stressful enough. I have my sex drive still intact, but I am always hungry (I've always been this way but know it is out of control)! I eat everything in sight. This is becoming really expensive for me and my boyfriend. Other than that I have regulated less painful periods, no bloating, and they are very on time. I like it because of the low hormone levels but I am emotional.

April 9, 2014 10:18 PM

Review by JLP439:

Pros: No mood changes, felt great, did not get pregnant, very light periods. Cons: Definitely gained 15 pounds... was on the pill for one year where the weight came on almost immediately after starting it. When I went off, the pounds melted away within two months and I was back to my pre-pill weight. Very annoying, since otherwise the pill was perfect.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 4, 2014 1:03 PM

Review by Alex p. (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I started using this birth control after a previous one since it was too strong (on it for 4 months). I have been using this for 7 months and I have since gained 30 lbs. I eat very healthy and exercise 5 days a week, as well as live in a city so I walk up to 8 miles a day. Plus I am in training for a marathon, so I should be losing weight not gaining it. I used this birth control for acne as well as for preventing pregnancy. I can say I have had no pregnancy scares and my period came the same day every month, so I always knew when I would be getting it. It has cleared up my acne a little, however not a lot. This is my last month taking it as it is most likely the reason I gained so much weight, plus it took away my sex drive.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 3, 2014 10:01 PM

Review by asdfjshs:

I've been on this birth control for a two months now & have experienced almost zero bad side effects. I have lost my appetite most of the time, which has resulted in me losing a little weight, which can be considered a negative or a positive. I have been getting angry very easily since I've been on this medicine but I've always had issues with my anger so it isn't a huge difference. My skin has actually cleared up and I do have sex with my boyfriend without condoms sometimes and we have not gotten pregnant or had any pregnancy scares. I would recommend this even though everyone reacts to birth control differently!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 26, 2014 6:35 PM

Review by Missypoobear45 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I was on this birth control for over a year. It worked great for me. No pregnancy, regulated my period and clear up my acne. Only down side I gain 15 pounds even after eating healthy and exercising 5 times a week. I got off it 6 months ago to see if the weight gain was because of the pill and sure enough it was. I've lost all the weight I've gained, but it took some times and effort. It's a great product, just don't like the weight gain.

March 21, 2014 4:30 PM

Review by Jade.m.C:

I've only been on it for a month, but I'm really liking it so far. I haven't experienced any noticeable side effects. I have trouble with irregular & painful periods, acne, depression, mood swings, insomnia, etc. So far I've noticed that I haven't broken out since I started this birth control. I also have felt less depressed. I've had 1 period while on this birth control and it was just as painful as usual, but the bleeding was much slower and much lighter. (I go through 2 tampons every 8 hours as opposed to 2 every 1 hour) I haven't noticed any mood swings and my insomnia has definitely improved. Overall I really like this birth control. The only thing that could make it better is if it made my periods completely pain-free.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate