User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo review summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 196 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo to treat Birth Control

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I am always crying and moody (my poor boyfriend). Sometimes, it is never that serious and I would realize that the next day. I'm 21 and in college and that is stressful enough. I have my sex drive still intact, but I am always hungry (I've always been this way but know it is out of control)! I eat everything in sight. This is becoming really expensive for me and my boyfriend. Other than that I have regulated less painful periods, no bloating, and they are very on time. I like it because of the low hormone levels but I am emotional.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 9, 2014 10:18 PM
Review by JLP439: User Rating:

Pros: No mood changes, felt great, did not get pregnant, very light periods. Cons: Definitely gained 15 pounds... was on the pill for one year where the weight came on almost immediately after starting it. When I went off, the pounds melted away within two months and I was back to my pre-pill weight. Very annoying, since otherwise the pill was perfect.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 4, 2014 1:03 PM
Review by Alex p. (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I started using this birth control after a previous one since it was too strong (on it for 4 months). I have been using this for 7 months and I have since gained 30 lbs. I eat very healthy and exercise 5 days a week, as well as live in a city so I walk up to 8 miles a day. Plus I am in training for a marathon, so I should be losing weight not gaining it. I used this birth control for acne as well as for preventing pregnancy. I can say I have had no pregnancy scares and my period came the same day every month, so I always knew when I would be getting it. It has cleared up my acne a little, however not a lot. This is my last month taking it as it is most likely the reason I gained so much weight, plus it took away my sex drive.

April 3, 2014 10:01 PM
Review by asdfjshs: User Rating:

I've been on this birth control for a two months now & have experienced almost zero bad side effects. I have lost my appetite most of the time, which has resulted in me losing a little weight, which can be considered a negative or a positive. I have been getting angry very easily since I've been on this medicine but I've always had issues with my anger so it isn't a huge difference. My skin has actually cleared up and I do have sex with my boyfriend without condoms sometimes and we have not gotten pregnant or had any pregnancy scares. I would recommend this even though everyone reacts to birth control differently!

March 26, 2014 6:35 PM
Review by Missypoobear45 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I was on this birth control for over a year. It worked great for me. No pregnancy, regulated my period and clear up my acne. Only down side I gain 15 pounds even after eating healthy and exercising 5 times a week. I got off it 6 months ago to see if the weight gain was because of the pill and sure enough it was. I've lost all the weight I've gained, but it took some times and effort. It's a great product, just don't like the weight gain.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 21, 2014 4:30 PM
Review by Jade.m.C: User Rating:

I've only been on it for a month, but I'm really liking it so far. I haven't experienced any noticeable side effects. I have trouble with irregular & painful periods, acne, depression, mood swings, insomnia, etc. So far I've noticed that I haven't broken out since I started this birth control. I also have felt less depressed. I've had 1 period while on this birth control and it was just as painful as usual, but the bleeding was much slower and much lighter. (I go through 2 tampons every 8 hours as opposed to 2 every 1 hour) I haven't noticed any mood swings and my insomnia has definitely improved. Overall I really like this birth control. The only thing that could make it better is if it made my periods completely pain-free.

March 14, 2014 11:45 PM
Review by Ashleyyyyyyyyyyy: User Rating:

I have been on this birth control for 6 months now and highly considering going off of birth control completely. This pill makes me nauseous, my breasts are always tender and if I'm not crying, I'm in a screaming fit of rage (my poor husband). It does regulate your cycles. My period usually lasted 9 days and now it only lasts 3 or 4. But I'd take 9 days periods over feeling like this any day.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 12, 2014 9:30 PM

I've been taking this birth control for three months now and I've gained 15lbs. I haven't changed my diet and I work out regularly, my acne has gotten worse and I'm depressed all the time, even my friends agree it's really affected my mood. I'm going to stop taking it now that I'm single, The only good thing was that it's very reliable for not getting pregnant or even pregnancy scares.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 10, 2014 10:38 PM
Review by mikaflgold: User Rating:

I am currently on my first pack of Ortho Tri-Cyclen and am not sure whether this is the pill I will stay with or not. I definitely noticed a big change in my irritability while taking this, and my mom even confirmed that my personality has been affected. I have also been worried that it has made me gain a little weight, or just made it harder for me to lose weight this month. I started taking levothyroxine at the same time, and really should be losing weight. Also, I have noticed a change for the worse in my hair and my nails- so...that seems like a lot of side effects. I was staying on the Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo because I have been reading that it takes up to 3 months for the side effects to go away.

February 28, 2014 1:45 PM
Review by S.E.: User Rating:

I've been on Ortho- Tri Cyclen Lo for a little over a year now. I had a positive experience with it when I was a teen so I wanted to try this again. At first I loved it. Now I have acne, which I've NEVER had a big problem with, crazy mood swings, and a low libido (not to mention vaginal dryness...) Hoping maybe a few more months will get me over this bad spell. I would love to continue taking it because this birth control has never let me down.

February 25, 2014 10:20 PM
Review by sccali (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I have tried Yaz, Nuvaring, Paraguard IUD, and other pills. This is the only pill that I have little to no side effects. Normally I become emotional and gain weight on birth control. I have been on this for 9 months and have lost 15 lbs (because of a healthier lifestyle). My skin hasn't broken out, though I am not sure this pill will help if you have acne (I took Accutane before going on this pill). My period is fairly regular. That's my only complaint. I had one month where I got my period 3 times. Overall I would definitely recommend this pill. Also even if you're a big woman, this pill with lower dose of hormones can work for you. I'm 5'11" and 165 lbs! TRY IT!

February 2, 2014 1:42 PM
Review by Seleneee26 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have been on this pill for 3 months and I have suffered every side effect. The only reason I continue to take it is because of the low hormone levels. I have headaches with neurological symptoms, change in appetite, my breast were enlarged for 2 months then went down to normal size. I'm also suffering from depression and I lost my sex drive as well as I can't climax. My skin looks better.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 15, 2014 11:22 PM
Review by Emily P: User Rating:

I started off by taking regular Ortho Tri Cyclen, which helped some with my acne, but I also became severely depressed, so I went off it. After a year and a half of not taking birth control at all, I began taking Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo for acne, and after 4 months my skin is MUCH clearer. If I do get pimples, they are much smaller and more shallow than before, and go away quicker. I am pleased!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 23, 2013 10:14 PM
Review by Armygirl10 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I began taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo when I was 13, I am now 22. I was not sexually active at the time, but my periods were extremely irregular. This specific oral contraceptive helped to regulate my period and it has been perfect for the past 9 years. When reading these reviews, ladies must keep in mind that everyone is different. Genetics plays a huge role in whether you get/ have bad acne, cramping, low sex drive, etc. It may not be because of the pill, necessarily. In my 9 year experience with this particular product, I have never had a scare when I took the pill as directed. You will have a few of those symptoms, its just life.

December 9, 2013 2:39 PM
Review by LibbyPD: User Rating:

I am 17 and I've been on this pill for about 10 days now and LOVE IT. Weighing on the smaller side with very miniscule breasts, this pill has helped me gain extra weight and has already helped my breasts grow. I was only a tad nauseous on the first day but I found my mood was overall happier and I have a great amount of energy. I am very happy with the results of this pill and how well it has worked for me. I was worried at first but once I had some food and got through the night, I realized that oral birth control is really a gift. If you were like me and worried sick over this pill then just look at all of the benefits that tiny pill can offer you and the security you gain. Thumbs up all the way.

December 2, 2013 1:53 AM
Review by chy (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I have taken this pill for 8 years. I am 23, 5'1 110lbs. Have never experienced weight gain, and never had a pregnancy scare. I have always had clear skin and it stayed that way throughout the pill. I missed a couple pills last month and had spotting for a couple weeks. But I swear by this pill! Although, once in a while it did cause slight nausea and usually always low sex drive, as most others have agreed. Other than that I think it's a great form of medication.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 26, 2013 12:51 AM
Review by plaay (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've been taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo since February with a 3 month break in the summer. I actually experienced very low appetite, when I'm at the end of my sugar pills I'm starving put the rest of the month I never feel hungry so I think the pill has helped me lose weight. As for Acne no real difference, I'm still struggling with acne but over the last year being on or off the pill hasn't made a difference. I haven't ever been nauseous or sick at all, but I do take it at 7pm. The biggest side-effect I've noticed is low, low sex drive. Absolutely no interest in it at all. And very low energy. I plan on going off the pill to see if it's causing this side effect.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 24, 2013 9:33 PM
Review by Dem Dem: User Rating:

I took Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo for a year and gained 15 lbs on my 5'1 normally 105 frame. I am 19 and run 50-70 miles a week for track and cross country. I knew there was something wrong, as before I would lose up to 10 lbs during the season. I told my doctor I thought the weight gain was due to the pills, but she insisted it wasn't. As soon as I got off of OTCL, (became single and didn't need it) I lost those 15 lbs in 3 weeks and shocked my doctor. The pill definitely can, and was, the reason for weight gain. At least I never became pregnant. I have switched to Apri since and I hope I don't go through the same again, anyone have any stories about their experiences with Apri?

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 10, 2013 7:40 PM
Review by Surgery girl: User Rating:

I've been on this medication for approximately 5 years, if not longer. My skin rarely broke out, I never got pregnant or even a pregancy scare, & didn't notice any weight gain either. However, I frequently spotted between periods. It wasn't specific to pre-mensturation or post-menstruation (which can indicate what horomone you could be lacking or needing a change in). The spotting put a huge damper on my sex drive/life (not enjoyable at all). I also noticed that occassionally if I didn't take the pill right at my usual time everyday I would get irritated a little easier, cry easier, be grumpy & even be sick to my stomach. I also got cramps before my period & salty/sweet cravings. Overall it was easy & worked.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 2, 2013 7:08 PM
Review by Meggiepoo19: User Rating:

I started this pill almost two years ago when I was sixteen and took faithfully. I had a boyfriend from15 to 18 and I never got pregnant so that just shows how good it works..but on the hormonal side I took it every night at 9:00 and didn't have to deal with nausea or anything like people say they get.It kinda helped my acne and my periods were super light the first day my cramps would hurt but after I was good and it only last like 3 days.Also, it can make your digestive system whack so drink water. But, recently I have broke out a ton and been hormonal so I decided it's time to switch! Wish me luck! (:

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 20, 2013 2:12 AM
Review by janey9391: User Rating:

I have been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo for about 3 years now. I haven't had any side effects but my acne got pretty bad and my sex drive is totally down. I wish there was something I could do to change this. Other than those issues I have been trusting this pill.

September 23, 2013 11:59 PM
Review by Lauren AMG (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have taken this pill for four months now and don't really have anything negative to say. I hit my "two-year limit" with the Depo shot I was on, so my healthcare provider suggested this pill. I haven't been nauseous, no headaches, no appetite changes, no bloating, etc. The only negatives I can definitely complain about is the acne and sex drive. My acne is well contained while on the pill, but during the week "break" it flares up worse than I've ever experienced. Also, I've noticed an extreme loss of sex drive along with a loss of energy. I usually cringe at the thought of having sex and losing sleep; and the only thing that has changed about my routine is this pill.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 11, 2013 12:54 AM
Review by Lauren3452: User Rating:

This pill did not go well with me. I took it for a week & felt bloated, got acne, headaches everyday, nausea! I would take the pill at 7pm so my stomach wouldn't be empty but I would wake up around 3am to wanting to vomit. I started it on a day 1 start & my period was so long and heavy, it didn't stop until I stopped taking the pill that week. But I tried taking it again since I've read that symptoms will usually go away after a few months. The 2nd time around I felt bloated & got a headache again the first day. The first night I woke up at 2am to throw up with a cold sweat I felt I would pass out. I'm going to look into something else. I can't function with this nausea & moodiness.

August 5, 2013 12:43 PM
Review by ASJA:

I just started on my pills, I'm 37 yrs old. I experienced a headache for 1 day, and noticed that my taste buds are weird to certain junk foods. Other than that its great. As long as you drink a lot of water I believe everything will be fine. Everyone is different. My stomach did hurt in the beginning. I also noticed that when I try to swallow the pill it tends to sit in my throat for a while. Very hard to swallow.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 31, 2013 12:11 PM
Review by LadyInR3d: User Rating:

The pill helps regulate my period and I know when to always expect it. I do not get any mood swings or nausea. I started going on the pill because my period was irregular. I would get my period twice in one month with excruciating pain. Once I began the pill the pain stopped and my period is normal.

July 30, 2013 4:40 PM