User Reviews for Loestrin 24 Fe

Learn more about Loestrin 24 Fe.

Loestrin 24 Fe review summary

4.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 450 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Loestrin 24 Fe to treat Acne

Review by Hannahl (taken for 2 to 5 years):

This birth control was great for the first year. After about 14 months of being on this I started to get horrible cystic acne. I have tried every face wash, herbal remedies, acne pills..EVERYTHING and it has not cleared up. My face is always red and inflamed when I get a breakout and it is all around my chin (hormonal acne). I am asking to switch at my appointment this week.

February 11, 2014 9:15 PM

Review by Taylorlynne21:

Im on ths birth control And it cleared up my face. I still get some pimples around my period tho but nothing too major

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 28, 2013 8:04 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have taken Lo Loestrin 24 for about 2 months now. I have had migraines, nausea and fatigue non stop. I only had one very light period since I started this pill. I have had horrible face and body acne since I started Loestrin, I feel 16 again! I have had a significant appetite increase and mid section bloating. However I will continue with it one more month and see If my symptoms clear up

September 19, 2013 1:06 AM

Review by 1stTimer:

No mood swings which was excellent! But I have been breaking out in places I didn't know I could actually get pimples. I mean, I have a pimple on my thigh. Been on it for three weeks and after the first week started breaking out and it just never stopped.

May 28, 2013 1:32 PM

Review by Yolay:

I've taken Lo Loestrin Fe for about 2 and half years now. I am very prompt about taking it everyday at the same time. I never forget to take it. I rarely had acne before I went on but I do still normally as before the pill get an occasional zit, nothing too bad. My period is off every other month though. Sometimes it 3-4 days and other times just 2 days. My period prior to the pill was heavy and a full 7 days so that's why I first got put on the pill.

January 19, 2013 12:51 PM

I switched to Loestrin, as the pill I was on before caused me to have migraines. I've only used Loestrin for a week, but my migraines have stopped, however it's caused me to break out ridiculously. I've never suffered from spots before, but I've broken out all over my forehead and on my cheeks.

October 29, 2012 12:26 PM

I'm 19 years old, & I've taken Loestrin 24 Fe for 4 years now - I absolutely love it! From age 12 I had 9-10 day irregular, extremely heavy cycles. My cramps were so bad that I couldn't get out of bed & would start vomiting, & my acne was out of control. Once I turned 15 my mother suggested birth control. The first month was rough; I started the pack the day after my period ended & a week later had another full period. The next month was a drastic change - my period was 4 days, NO cramps & my skin has looked amazing ever since! Went from taking muscle relaxers for pain to an occasional Advil every few MONTHS! My insurance is great - 3 months for $22! That's less than $7.50/month! Sadly no increase in breast size, but no weight gain, either!

October 16, 2012 1:35 AM

First few months were fine, after 2 months I experienced mood swings, depression and the worst acne of my life which did not help with my depression at all!

October 15, 2012 9:27 AM

I started taking Lo Loestrin Fe about 2 months ago and I am breaking out horribly around my mouth and chin. I have always had acne but not that severe and it actually cleared up in the past year with the occasional pimple here and there....now I have cysts and white heads all over my chin that are not going away. I am finishing this pack and then calling my doctor to switch.

October 11, 2012 7:26 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'm 22, and this is my first time being on birth control. At first I liked it because it regulated my period, and I went up a cup size, but that's the only positive experience I've had with this pill. I'm bloated around my midsection (I'm 5'6 and 107lbs and I look 2 months pregnant because of the bloating), my cramps are just as bad as they were off the pill, my breast hurt so bad and the biggest thing of all that I hate is that my face went from being flawless to severe acne EVERYWHERE! The pill is also expensive.

September 24, 2012 8:46 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

When I first went on this birth control about 2 years ago (in hopes of curing my migraines my doctor thought may be hormonal and fixing moderate acne), I went absolutely crazy. It made me have HORRIBLE mood swings and I found myself in a terrible mood all the time for no reason (crying about stuff I never cried about, snapping at people, etc.). I had never been that way before this pill. My first period on this pill was ROUGH, I was extremely depressed and emotional and just wanted to cry in bed. The pill did seem to help with my head aches, although it never helped at all with my skin. It made my periods way lighter and less painful, which was a perk. My advice is to stick with this medicine for a long time and wait out the pain.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2012 7:44 PM

My acne got so bad and my skin even started peeling. Its caused so many problems and after trying this for 2 months and reading all these (mostly negative) reviews, today is my last day taking this pill.

April 15, 2012 12:12 PM

I started taking this 7 months ago. I take it to control my periods and to help with my skin. I was taking Estrostep which worked great but due to price switched to this. It has made my skin breakout severely. I used to get a pimple or two around period time; with this I keep getting cystic acne that takes weeks to go away. I would not recommend this if you are prone to breakouts.

March 17, 2012 7:27 PM

I have been on Loestrin for about 2 months now and I am not satisfied with the result so far. I got on this pill to regulate my periods because I am 18 and wouldn't have a period for about 5 or 6 months apart and the pill has somewhat regulated that but my acne is absolutely horrible. I never had big problems with acne before just little break outs here and there before periods but now I have horrible acne on my cheeks, and its left brown spots behind. I am going to either get off the pill completely or change to another if it doesn't get better within the next 2 weeks. I have also gained 5 pounds, and gone up a cup size.

February 19, 2012 5:44 PM

I went to the doctor looking for a contraceptive that would also help with the acne around my jaw line. I don't really get pimples anywhere but around my chin and mouth. I would say that my acne, at its worst was decently severe in that area. Anyway, when I first started using Loestrin Fe 24, my acne in that area was absolutely outrageous. I was getting huge cysts that were very painful. I would get 2 to 3 new ones a week. It was very disheartening, but I decided to stick it out. By the third pack, I watched my acne disappear. I am now on my 4th pack and only get one or two small whiteheads (not big scarring cysts) right before I start taking the iron pills. I like this birth control and with time, I believe it helps acne.

January 3, 2012 9:13 PM

I have been taking this birth control for a little over a year now. I have never had very heavy bleeding on my period but once on Loestrin my period is nonexistent. I noticed my acne getting worse after about a month. I have never had more than a few pimples here and there before but now I have huge cystic pimples all over my cheeks, chin, and forehead. This is the worst my acne has been, ever! I have been going to a dermatologist for about 6 months and my acne is not getting any better. I am switching to a different birth control once talking to my OBGYN. I have heard good things about Ortho Lo, so I am going to ask about that.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2011 2:48 PM

I'm 17 and I've been on this pill for a month now. I starting taking in to help with horrible period and it made them feel worse. I've been on my period for a week and am having horrible cramps, gained weight and am breaking out on my chin and around my mouth.

December 11, 2011 12:06 PM

Review by supsunshine:

I'm 17 years old and I've been using Loestrin 24 Fe for almost a month now and I couldn't be happier! I have suffered with acne and insecure body image my whole pre-teen/teenage life and searched consistently for a solution. That's when I came across birth control. After only 2 weeks of starting the pill, I've seen an increased size in my breast! Nothing else, just my breast which I'm extremely pleased with. Also, my skin is getting a bit better, but I've heard it doesn't work instantly. I have to wait about 3 months to see my acne disappear like everyone says but it does adjust my mood to make me feel confident about my skin and body. I can finally go to school without makeup and feel super great about myself.

November 16, 2011 7:08 PM

Within the first month I started getting incredibly emotional, moody, breast tenderness and spotting. Not to mention my acne is out of control. I usually get only one or two pimples, but now have 7 huge ones on my face. Switching to Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo..hope it makes my acne better.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 27, 2011 3:17 PM

Just started taking this pill on Sunday and its now Friday. First two days severe migraine then everyday after I felt great. The only downfall is that I started taking this to control my acne and I feel its just making it worse. I've always heard it will get worse before it gets better so I'm going to try to stick it out. I just hope that's the case. If not I guess I'm going to have to try another option. I'm trying to be patient but when it comes to something like this it's hard.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2011 9:40 AM

Review by stephyyyyyy:

I started Loestrin 24 a few months ago and was nervous about some side effects I've always heard of from the pill. I was nauseous for only the 1st week, and only got my period for 2 days and had zero cramps even though I used to have to take 3 Advil for the 1st 3 days of my period. No weight gain, only in my breasts (grew a cup size). HOWEVER, this pill made me break out horribly. I've always broken out a little before my period, but while on this I got multiple huge cysts on my chin and under my nose before my period and my cheeks which have never broken out before were breaking out as well. Really no side effects but the acne was enough to make me go off of it.

September 19, 2011 8:57 PM

This is the 7th day that I'm taking this birth control. I still don't know how will it affect on my period but so far it made me break out on my chin and around my mouth. It gives me bad headaches and makes me depressed. There is no way I will continue taking this birth control.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 18, 2011 9:16 PM

I started using Loestrin as directed by my doctor. First sunday after getting my period. 2 weeks later I got my period that lasted about 21 days. I stopped taking the pills and my period stop 3 days after. I had terrible mood swings and now I haven't take any birth control pill for the last 3 weeks but my breast hurts so much that I don't let anyone hug me.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 22, 2011 3:44 AM

I've been on this pill for 3 months and started experiencing the worst acne that I've ever had in a long time. I was taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo prior to Loestrin24 and other than the price, it was great. I decided to switch to a cheaper pill but this birth control does not control my acne. I'm experiencing breakouts on my chin, cheeks and forehead. I've since called my obgyn and have switched back to Ortho Lo which helps control my acne.

February 28, 2011 12:00 PM

Review by Andrea198525:

I have been on Loestrin 24 Fe for only a month. I didn't have painful periods until I got off of birth control. I was on Depo (the shot every 3 months) and I did not have a period, but I did gain almost 15-20 pounds. I was on Depo for 3 years and then I decided to get off and I wanted to have a normal period. That's when everything went down hill. I would be in so much pain that I would call out of work, miss classes, and the pain caused me to be depressed. After ultrasounds, x-rays, no sex (too painful), they found nothing wrong. The doctors gave me Yaz, and that made me feel worse. It did control my mood swings but not the pain. Loestrin 24 Fe has been great, so far.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate