User Reviews for Doxylamine

Also known as: Aldex AN, Aldex AN Chewable, Care One Sleep Aid, Doxytex, Equaline Sleep Aid, Equate Sleep Aid, Fast Sleep, Medi-Sleep, Nytol Maximum Strength, Sleep Aid Tablets, Sunmark Sleep Aid, Unisom SleepTabs

Learn more about Doxylamine.

Doxylamine Review Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Doxylamine to treat Insomnia

"I have taken Unisom (doxylamine) for 30 years. I cannot sleep without it. I am a little drowsy when I get up but after a couple of cups of coffee I am great. I have tried every other kind of sleep aid that is made but nothing works like Unisom tablets. Even the other Unisom (gel,etc) do not work for me."

Corbinator July 21, 2015

"I've suffered with insomnia for many years & have tried various remedies including Yoga based approaches & treatments using natural products like Valerian. Unfortunately, none of these has had any lasting effect. Usually, I will manage to get to sleep but will wake up three or four hours later & then have a real struggle to get back to sleep no matter how relaxed I am. Consequently, I'm absolutely shattered the next day and find it very hard to function properly. With Doxylamine, however, I usually enjoy a good night's sleep (6 to 7 hours) and feel energised the next day. I've been taking them for over three years now and don't appear to have any side effects. I take about half a tablet each night and drift of to sleep about an hour later"

Tai Pai (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 21, 2015

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): "It works perfect for me to go to sleep. I only took half of the the tab. I sleept the whole night, for 10 hours, but I had a hard time trying to wake up!! I felt dizzy and with Migraine. I read everything about side effects, so I realized that I can't take this substance because I'm taking Eutirox because I have been diagnosed with HipoTyroidism. It works but its not good for me."

MadamPelush (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2015

"I took 25mg of Doxlamine for the first time only for one night so far. I took it 8:30 pm put me to sleep quickly. I did wake up a couple of times during the night. Like most of the reviews I woke up feeling very tired unable to push myself out of bed normal time. I had a slight headache and my legs are hurting from it. Feeling very tired as of the moment .I do hope it wears off soon."

Foxeylady71 July 6, 2015

"I go right to sleep upon getting in bed about 11:00 PM but without any sleep aid I usually awake around 3:00 AM - 4:00 AM. For the past five years I usually take a half of a 25mg doxylamine succinate tablet before going to bed and that keeps me asleep until shortly before the 6:00 AM alarm goes off. No side effects. Solid sleep. Worth its weight in gold!"

BigPlanDan (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 25, 2015

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): "I am a healthy 21 year old but have trouble getting and staying asleep. I have tried melatonin and I feel it may help me get to sleep but not stay asleep. The other night I laid awake until 5:30 am trying to keep my eyes closed with no luck. So the next day I researched some over the counter sleep aids and Unisom had great reviews, so that day I picked some up. I took one at ten that night and started getting sleepy an hour later. By 11:30 I was fast asleep. Although I woke up a few times throughout the night, as I usually do, I was still tired and found it very easy to fall back to sleep without tossing and turning for ten minutes at a time. I woke up at 9:00am the next day felling minimally drowsy. I will continue to take Unisom"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2015

"I haven't been able to sleep through the night I always wake up every 2 hours for the pass 2-3 months and I'm so tired at work I would take NyQuil to help me sleep but it didn't help me sleep through the night then I tried unisom I took it around 9:30 I didn't fall asleep till around 10:30 and I didn't sleep through the whole night I kept waking up and I was still a little tired in the morning"

Kzzzz1222 (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2015

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): "I have taken Unisom for over three years now and I'm a severe asthmatic with chronic shortness of breath and I have had no complications from the sleep aid. After taking it and awakening in the morning I've never experienced any side effects. I wake up feeling rested and with full of energy. Best sleep aid on the market."

Dottiegirl April 15, 2015

"I've been using Kirkland brand doxylamine succinate now for many years. I take only 1/2 a 25mg pill and find it works just as well as a full pill, without making me drowsy the next morning. Here and there I find myself without a pill if I'm out of town and forget them or run out, and what happens is I just go back to the same I Sonia I had for ten years prior to taking these. Therefore I don't think they're addictive in my case, rather if I don't take them I'm back where I started. Insomnia was a problem I suffered from for years, not just a temporary deal."

PMD1964 April 10, 2015

"I am not sure if this is Typical or just me. Possibly anxiety/OCD related. After I take a Unisom sleep tab (25mg) and lay down when I begin to get sleepy, it is like the second I close my eyes, my brain comes up with the most off the wall, weird/odd images and things that my brain will just expound on. (I am not experiencing auditory hallucinations) however, the typical voice inside my head goes haywire for about ten minutes until I am out of it."

sleepHelpInsomnia April 1, 2015

Sleep Aid Tablets (doxylamine): "I've been having problems with going to sleep at night for awhile now and saw unisom advertised on a commercial so I decided to try something for the first time ... I would say it kicked in about a hour after taking it - I still went to bed late just not as late as usual ... I slept the whole night through but in the mornings I would be more tired and still in bed until a little after 1 pm ... Not a morning person but I hate getting up that late after 11 is too late for me but I still be in bed tired - So that's my only problem!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2015

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): "I took 1 50 mg tablet of UNISOM; it didn't work so I took another one. I fell asleep 4 hours later and when I woke up, I had the worst headache for life and taste in my mouth for a whole week straight."

Kalle14 March 15, 2015

"Does it work? You bet it does. I have suffered from insomnia for 18 years so I know when I'm asleep or not. This med is wonderful in keeping you asleep for 5 1/2 to 6 hours. This med is also effective in getting you to sleep. The downside. My God is it drowsy. I'm usually a guy who doesn't complain but this med makes you super drowsy. In addition to the drowsiness, it will make you irritable because you don't feel good. In conclusion, I would recommend it because the psychological benefit of knowing you slept slightly outweighs its side effects. I hope this info helps. Best of dreams."

Chronic Insomniatic March 5, 2015

"I suffered from early waking insomnia for about twenty years. It mattered less when I was younger, I could always keep going. In the last few years it became a problem to the extent that I refused invitations/ avoid travel because I know I'll be sleepy and the anxiety of having to do something the next day made the insomnia worse. I could fall asleep quite happily at 9pm, but then wake four hours later and often not fall asleep again. I tried sleep restriction, zopiclone, various natural remedies.Nothing worked. I have now been taking doxylamine succinate for 5 weeks and it has been life changing. I take half a 25mg tablet when I wake at 1am. It takes about an hour to kick in, but then I get a further 3-4 hours sleep. Heaven."

Cathy Hithersay January 28, 2015

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): "Could not sleep 2 nights in a row. So I decided to try 2 Unisom tables. Took about 10pm. Slept amazing. Woke at 7.30 am took kids to school (felt like I was exhausted) went back to bed woke up at 1pm. Still pretty groggy and sluggish. Trying to wake up."

AbsRaiders (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2015

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): "Oh my goodness. I have taken Benadryl every night for thirty years or longer. This is much better. I sleep like a baby and feel rested in the morning for the first time in decades. I love Unisom and won't go back to Benadryl. The prescriptions like Lynsey's or Ambien made me hallucinate and feel pretty bad in the morning so I never continued them. Unisom has been awesome! Highly recommend it."

Sleeplessinnj (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2015

"Restavit does work! I find it absorbs quicker by taking only ONE tablet before I eat the first mouthful of dinner as the later I leave it the longer it takes to work. E.g. if its 8pm I could feel dozy 15-90 mins after tablet been consumed. The hangover feeling is there at times, however it can make you feel worse if its closer to that time of month....for ladies."

Pro Police October 15, 2014

"I've taken 25 mg for five nights and found that it does help me sleep. Unfortunately, it can put me asleep for 12 hours, leaving me feeling groggy and unwilling to do much else for the rest of the day. I might use it on days when sleep is badly needed and I've nothing to do the next day. Possible side effects for elders are serious and apply to me, so that also will limit my use. "

GeorgeW2 August 12, 2014

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine): "I been having problems sleeping for year's and this is the first time I take something to help with my sleep. It actually does work but the only negative thing I would say it makes me sleep for to long I took it at 12am the other night and woke up at 1pm and i woke up feeling awesome but I can't be waking up that late.I think maybe I should just take it at an earlier time."

Evelove August 3, 2014

"I only need a quarter of a tablet to get to sleep and stay there for about five hours. I do not want to "get used to it" so I also try not to used it too often. Lately I was trialed on a new medication, and I had to use half to get to sleep. It is an antihistamine type product, so two birds, one stone."

Ms zombie be gone! July 24, 2014

"This medication WILL put you to sleep. However, I had the adverse "Hangover effect." I took one pill at eight in the morning (I work nights), and could not pull myself out of bed until after 9pm. I may try again with just a half pill."

saxaphonman (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2014

"Taking Doxylamine Succinate for insomnia and to help reduce alprazolam dose (anxiety) from 2mg to 1 mg or less. Following the advice of the pharmacist, I took about 3/4 of a 25mg tablet and that dose has allowed me to sleep well without any of the associated morning after drowsiness. It has also enabled me to eliminate the night dose of alprazolam without difficulty ( tapered down over 2 weeks, long term user for 14 years). I am pleased with this progress and would say that Doxymaline Succinate has been a good choice for my needs. Time will tell."

Paul2 April 28, 2014

Sleep Aid Tablets (doxylamine): "I think they are great. I have anxiety and depression which makes it hard to sleep, these relax me & make me tired, within less than an hour of taking 1 tablet I'm asleep."

Kirst28 (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2014

"I took 2 Restavit tablets last night at 10pm, fell asleep about 11:30pm. I woke up a few times during the night but fell back asleep easily. It definitely works; great for insomnia but terrible (for me) the morning after. I woke up feeling totally unrefreshed and like a zombie. Had a cup of coffee and still felt that way. I have had to take the day off work as I felt like my ability to work was compromised. I went back to sleep and woke up at 1:30pm. I still have muscle weakness and have had to push myself to cook lunch. Sure, this medication is good for sleep, but the negative side effects lasting most of the next day have defeated the purpose of taking it for me. I will only take one IF I don't have anything on the next day!"

zee_zee (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2013

"I've been having terrible insomnia these days and diphenhydramine just puts me in a weird zone where I can't sleep. Took 25 mg of doxylamine at 10pm and was out by 10:45pm. Didn't wake up until 2pm the next day! Feel like I made up for all the sleep I've missed this week!"

6_big_in_the_britches_9 November 18, 2013