User Reviews for Doxylamine

Also known as: Aldex AN, Aldex AN Chewable, Care One Sleep Aid, Doxytex, Equaline Sleep Aid, Equate Sleep Aid, Fast Sleep, Medi-Sleep, Nighttime Sleepaid, Nytol Maximum Strength, Sleep Aid, Unisom SleepTabs

Learn more about Doxylamine.

Insomnia 56 reviews 109 medications

7.7
Summary of Doxylamine reviews 56 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Doxylamine

For Insomnia: "I have been an insomniac for many years. I started taking 1/2 tab of a 25 MG doxylamine sleep aid and it kicks in within 30 min and I sleep a very good 7 hours without side effects. It works very well for me."

Jar2095 January 29, 2016

For Insomnia: "I have had trouble sleeping since I was a child. I've tried the "Z" drugs and the benzodiazepines. Because I have an addiction problem so I am careful not to ask for them, so my Dr. doesn't think I'm taking inappropriately (and because they are addictive). So I tried the doxylamine (Unisom). The first pill, 25 mg didn't do much so I took a second and I slept wonderfully. But the second time I took 50mg I woke up in the kitchen. They make me sleep walk, and sometimes I sort of hallucinate right after I wake up from sleep walking. I think maybe there might be a drug interaction of some sort. So, its a helpful sleep aid, but I would take it with caution or ask your doctor if you take it with other psychoactive medications."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016

For Insomnia: "My OB recommended this for my insomnia/racing thoughts at night in pregnancy. Took 25 mg and was out w/in 30 minutes and tired the next day. Cut down to 1/2 a pill and was much better. Haven't gotten a full nights sleep in 6 months and was losing my mind, it completely fixed that. I will say that if I don't drink lots of water with it I get terrible headaches but as long as I stay hydrated and give myself 8 hours to sleep I am ready and wake up right away with my alarm in the best mood I've had since the pregnancy started."

SammiD (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2015

For Insomnia: "Using the drugstore chain's own brand of doxylamine succinate. I am a 79-year-old woman, with a long history of insomnia. I have tried other remedies, but find this the most effective, with virtually no adverse side effects. I have discovered that half a tablet is sufficient to give me a good, solid eight hours of sleep, with any slight grogginess disappearing very quickly in the morning. I don't take it every night because of concerns about dependency, so it usually amounts to not more than 2 or 3 nights a week. Enthusiastically recommended."

Newslady (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 14, 2015

For Insomnia: "I've been taking doxylamine succinate for about 10 years, and it works great, much better than diphenhydramine and other over-the-counter aids, and at a much lower cost than prescription sleep aids. I used to work the graveyard shift for years, and found that when I got a "regular" job, I just couldn't sleep all night. Tried everything, this one's the best. Take a half pill if it makes you feel groggy, but I can shake off the grogginess more easily than I can shake off exhaustion from lack of sleep."

Paula from Texas December 5, 2015

For Insomnia: "Diphenhydramine didn't work for me so I tried doxylamine. First night took one 25mg pill and was out within the hour, got a full eight hours but woke up super groggy. The groggiest lasted most of the next day, definitely wasn't worth it. I tried it again two days later with only half a pill. Had the same great sleep with only minimal grogginess. I've continued to take 1/2 a 25mg pill 2-3 times a week when I know sleeping with be a struggle with great results. I'd recommend anyone who experiences the sleep hangover to try a lower dose before writing it off."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 10, 2015

For Insomnia: "Doxylamine (unisom brand) worked for a month or so. Then, it seemed like it actually prevented me from sleeping ! It happened 3-4 times. So, I stopped taking the drug. I started taking it intermittently 3 months later and generally, it does not let me sleep. Does not work for me."

IrritableGut October 19, 2015

For Insomnia: "Have been using for five years sometimes it works and sometimes not is the best over the counter Sleep Aid ' I have found Sleep tight"

Little tony October 17, 2015

For Insomnia: "I tried one tablet, no effect. Tried 2, nothing. I guess it just doesn't work for me"

iamween October 10, 2015

For Insomnia: "I took 1(one) 25mg tablet. I haven't been sleeping well so thought I would try this. I did fall asleep within about 30 minutes. I awoke about 6 hours later and my room was literally spinning. I was so dizzy feeling I could barely get to the bathroom and then back to bed. I fell back to sleep quickly which for me is unusual. I slept for another 3-4 hours. When I awoke I was still quite dizzy feeling but not like when I had woke up previously. That was 5 days ago. I have had dizziness since I took that one pill and have not taken any more. I must be extremely sensitive to this medication. I have also had some nausea this whole time."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2015

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine) for Insomnia: "I've had ongoing problems falling asleep/ staying asleep- benadryl never worked for me. I got desperate one night and took some night time cough syrup which worked! I checked the ingredients, saw "doxylamine"-key ingredient in unisom - and have been successfully using unisom to get to sleep when I need it! No side effects, I take the recommended dose (1 pill)"

Lyss61910 October 4, 2015

For Insomnia: "Been taking for 4 years 1/2 tablet 12.5 mg. >20 years fell asleep them wake up stay up. Now sleep almost every night all night. No side effects noticed. Drowsy if take whole tablet but good on half. I freak if I forget them on holidays cause I know I won't sleep. No better or worse than before I started taking them but I just love my sleep and hate not sleeping. So thumbs up. I take no other meds or drugs."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 18, 2015

For Insomnia: "I have had my battles with the inability to stay asleep of 10 or 12 years. Go to sleep just fine but wake up at the 5 hour interval and cannot get back to sleep. I would get very tired during the day - it was terrible. I heard of this at Costco and started taking 1/2 tab per night. Bang! 8 hours of great sleep!!! I don't have drowsiness and feel like I used to. It doesn't know me out - I can wake up to go to the bathroom. ( I am over 55 and a guy) but I go right back to sleep. Love this stuff. I hope it's not bad for ya because I need good sleep."

Mr. Jitters (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 2, 2015

For Insomnia: "Works the best ive tried all types of sleep aids and doxy is the best and over the counter :)"

DJamesdalt (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 24, 2015

For Insomnia: "After taking Doxylamine for over 8 months for severe insomnia, I have gained over 15lbs. I'm only 5'1'' & 15lbs is a significant weight gain. I've never been overweight, I've been consuming less calories & no change in weight. The doxylamine helps with my insomnia but I can not continue using it because of weight gain."

rushingrivers August 14, 2015

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine) for Insomnia: "I'm pregnant and my dr recommended me to take unisom and b6 at night for my morning sickness and neasua. When I took it i easily fell asleep but I could not sleep throught the night I would wake up at least 3-4 times. I work up irritable (more Than normal for being pregnant) and it also triggered my migraines. Almost Everytime I took this I would get RLY bad headaches"

Prego chick August 11, 2015

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine) for Insomnia: "Unisom definitely makes good on its word. Within about 15-30 min after taking a pill, drowsiness comes into play, with sleep following soon after. Expect irritability. Especially when someone or something is causing you to come in and out of your sleep. After waking, expect 4-5 hours of drowsiness, and at least 5-8 hours until all side ffects clear."

AbAaBaA July 31, 2015

For Insomnia: "I have been taking doxylamine for the past 10 years. This is a Kirkland product, 25mg tablets. If I take a whole tablet it knocks me out and I am numb in the morning. Still, it is the only sleep remedy I've had success with and when I try to discontinue, because of the uncertainty of long term use, I don't sleep. At 76, I am doing my best to retain my cognitive function and I have serious questions about the long tern effects of this drug. To sleep or not to sleep, and I will choose sleep whatever the risk. I find that I can take 1/2 tablet and that has the desired effect...even 1/4 will sometimes do it. I would love to hear about the experience that others have had, For me this is the only thing that works, and I have tried everything."

pafsome? July 30, 2015

For Insomnia: "I have taken Unisom (doxylamine) for 30 years. I cannot sleep without it. I am a little drowsy when I get up but after a couple of cups of coffee I am great. I have tried every other kind of sleep aid that is made but nothing works like Unisom tablets. Even the other Unisom (gel,etc) do not work for me."

Corbinator July 21, 2015

For Insomnia: "I've suffered with insomnia for many years & have tried various remedies including Yoga based approaches & treatments using natural products like Valerian. Unfortunately, none of these has had any lasting effect. Usually, I will manage to get to sleep but will wake up three or four hours later & then have a real struggle to get back to sleep no matter how relaxed I am. Consequently, I'm absolutely shattered the next day and find it very hard to function properly. With Doxylamine, however, I usually enjoy a good night's sleep (6 to 7 hours) and feel energised the next day. I've been taking them for over three years now and don't appear to have any side effects. I take about half a tablet each night and drift of to sleep about an hour later"

Tai Pai (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 21, 2015

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine) for Insomnia: "It works perfect for me to go to sleep. I only took half of the the tab. I sleept the whole night, for 10 hours, but I had a hard time trying to wake up!! I felt dizzy and with Migraine. I read everything about side effects, so I realized that I can't take this substance because I'm taking Eutirox because I have been diagnosed with HipoTyroidism. It works but its not good for me."

MadamPelush (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2015

For Insomnia: "I took 25mg of Doxlamine for the first time only for one night so far. I took it 8:30 pm put me to sleep quickly. I did wake up a couple of times during the night. Like most of the reviews I woke up feeling very tired unable to push myself out of bed normal time. I had a slight headache and my legs are hurting from it. Feeling very tired as of the moment .I do hope it wears off soon."

Foxeylady71 July 6, 2015

For Insomnia: "I go right to sleep upon getting in bed about 11:00 PM but without any sleep aid I usually awake around 3:00 AM - 4:00 AM. For the past five years I usually take a half of a 25mg doxylamine succinate tablet before going to bed and that keeps me asleep until shortly before the 6:00 AM alarm goes off. No side effects. Solid sleep. Worth its weight in gold!"

BigPlanDan (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 25, 2015

Unisom SleepTabs (doxylamine) for Insomnia: "I am a healthy 21 year old but have trouble getting and staying asleep. I have tried melatonin and I feel it may help me get to sleep but not stay asleep. The other night I laid awake until 5:30 am trying to keep my eyes closed with no luck. So the next day I researched some over the counter sleep aids and Unisom had great reviews, so that day I picked some up. I took one at ten that night and started getting sleepy an hour later. By 11:30 I was fast asleep. Although I woke up a few times throughout the night, as I usually do, I was still tired and found it very easy to fall back to sleep without tossing and turning for ten minutes at a time. I woke up at 9:00am the next day felling minimally drowsy. I will continue to take Unisom"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2015

For Insomnia: "I haven't been able to sleep through the night I always wake up every 2 hours for the pass 2-3 months and I'm so tired at work I would take NyQuil to help me sleep but it didn't help me sleep through the night then I tried unisom I took it around 9:30 I didn't fall asleep till around 10:30 and I didn't sleep through the whole night I kept waking up and I was still a little tired in the morning"

Kzzzz1222 (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2015