User Reviews for Depakote

Learn more about Depakote.

Depakote review summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Depakote to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by TheGraduate (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have ADHD and Bipolar Type 2. I started seeing Depakote's first signs of mood stabilization after a week on 500mg daily (a very small dose). It was great to have a clear mind. At the low dose I've been on, I would say my Bipolar symptoms are about 75% under control, which is great. I can also sleep easier. In terms of side-effects, all I've gotten are vivid dreams on a nightly basis (not nightmares, but sometimes uncomfortable) and very brief auditory hallucinations (hear a loud bang, like a door closing, stuff like that). The hallucinations happen about two times per night, but I've been through worse hallucinations on SSRIs, so I am not too concerned. I also take between 20 and 30mg Dexedrine ER per day for my ADHD. It's been 3 weeks

February 4, 2014 11:58 PM
Review by Qbug223 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Depakote was given to me for onset postpartum psychosis and underlying bipolar 1 as a mood stabilizer. It did it's job. Wonderful results mentally, obsessive thoughts were all but gone and combined with my antipsychotic, it made my life much better. But, the weight gain was hellish. I have gained 11 pounds in two weeks, and am looking at switching at my appointment on Monday. So, not good if you are looking for a weight neutral mood stabilizer.

January 10, 2014 11:52 PM
Review by gradstudent_10 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 five years ago and have been on many many medicines. I always took atypical antipsychotics, but never a true mood stabilizer. My new doctor put me on Depakote because I was getting neurological shaking symptoms from the atypical antipsychotic so she started me on Depakote and I have to say I love it. I'm up to 1000mg a day now, and as she lowers my atypical, she might have to increase the Depakote to 1500 mgs. No weight gain, in fact, I had weight loss. I was really hungry in the beginning and I might have gained a pound, but that went away and my appetite changed, vivid dreams (sometimes), but I can deal. I love this, I'm in such a better mood now.

November 30, 2013 5:13 PM
Review by Stacyesd: User Rating:

Best medicine ever for me. Started with lithium after diagnosis for bipolar. Lithium gave terrible side effects so after switching to Depakote, life became much easier for a chemically challenged like me. Took almost 1 year before 100%.

October 15, 2013 2:22 PM
Review by crazytoo (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Tried all other bi-polar medicines throughout the past 10 yrs. This one has the least side effects of them all. People tell me my behavior has vastly improved on Depakote. It's hard for me to see myself through other peoples eyes. But, sometimes maybe I should. Personally, for me, Depakote has been a life saver, I didn't want to live with it but find I can not live without it.

September 20, 2013 10:54 PM
Review by Sweaty Mom (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

I have been on Depakote for 10 years. I can tell that it does calm me down. As most people are saying in this forum it does make me very tired. The symptoms that I have had for 10 years are extra sweating, (it seems to be coming from my scalp and down my face). Weight gain that I can't seem to lose, and I'm wondering if anyone else has a ringing or drumming in one or both ears. I've been to many Doctors just about my ear but they can't find anything wrong.

September 3, 2013 3:05 AM
Review by 40 yr old woman (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I took Depakote for bipolar and the very first night I had very vivid dreams which turned into nightmares and audio visual hallucinations. It's been 3 days and my dreams are not back to normal yet. I've read the reviews and it seems to work for most people. I haven't gotten a good night's sleep. My doctor put me back on Trileptal 300 mgs twice a day.

September 1, 2013 1:44 AM
Review by soul queen:

I've been on Depakote for 10 days. I also take 250mgs of quetiapine 50 mgs. My psychiatrist is reluctant to diagnose bipolar but seems to be treating me for it. I feel calmer so far on Depakote, but still feel a bit down. I was a bit high my psychiatrist said I wasn't manic.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 24, 2013 4:31 PM
Review by Totally Sarcastic:

I was just newly diagnosed with bi-polar. I started feeling the effects of my antidepressants as they made me feel too euphoric and unhinged. There are days when I feel as though I can conquer the world and nothing can stand in my way and days when I feel low, as though the world is on top of me. Sometimes, I can laugh and then cry out of nowhere. It's like a roller-coaster ride that seems to get out of control. Anyway, I tried the lamotrigine and I could feel that it was stabilizing me, but it caused brain zaps. Now I am on Depakote @ 250 mg twice daily and I feel really good. It just depends on your system. Everyone is different. You have to find what is right for you.

August 22, 2013 12:26 PM
Review by Patient67 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I started up on 250mg and ended up at 1500mg. I noticed very subtle effects if any. Hard to remember, I went through a lot and was on Seroquel also at the time. Seemed to have a slight calming effect. However after time it raised my liver enzymes and lowered my platelet count (which is a potential side effect) So I went off of it. I don't have many hypomanic episodes and never a manic episode so I don't know why my dose got that high. Didn't notice anything significant. Gained 20 lbs, made me sick and tired. Wasn't for me.

August 12, 2013 5:04 PM
Review by fifi87: User Rating:

Could not afford Abilify out of pocket, started back on Depakote. I had no problem with gain weight. I do however find I tend to be a little more moody but less frequently. I take with bupropion XR. Seems to be a decent cocktail. Not too potent, and not under effective. I like how it does not create a sedative effect like antipsychotics.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 10, 2013 1:59 AM
Review by braziej (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Has helped in manic episodes a little but still experience depressional relapses and moodiness.

July 25, 2013 2:10 PM
Review by mouseman76: User Rating:

Have been Bipolar since 89. I have been on Depakote for 9 years, 500 mg x 3. I went from 210lbs to 304lbs. I have been on just about everything over the years. A little bit lethargic, but this seems to have stabilized me the best.

July 19, 2013 10:38 AM
Review by Brutalfashion (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

For mood stabilization, depakote worked out well for me, but it also helped me gain about 50 lbs! Once I started slowly switching off it, the pounds started coming off.

July 18, 2013 5:17 PM
Review by Rach88 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I've been on this for 3 weeks now. It has definitely helped my mania. But I'm still very depressed. I've been having very vivid nightmares. Which is strange because I take medicine for those. I also take Ambien and citolopram. I feel like that's a lot of chemicals in my body. I am a drinker but that hasn't seemed to affect anything. My side effects are pretty much exactly what I've been told and read up on. With the exception of the bad dreams. Blood work must be fine. Doc hasn't called. So far so good.

June 2, 2013 11:50 PM
Review by Anne78: User Rating:

I've been on Depakote for almost a year now. I also take Paxil and Wellbutrin. I gained around 10lbs right from the start. My weight has seemed to have stayed steady the last few months. It's extremely hard to lose it. I have been through a lot of different medications to try and treat bipolar disorder. Even with the medicines I'm on, I'm still depressed and like I don't matter. I'm very sleepy and can lay down and take a nap at any time. I started taking B Complex because I stay so sleepy. My new concern is memory. I can't think of words and dates or names like movie stars very fast and it concerns me.

May 15, 2013 9:55 PM
Review by jdk123777: User Rating:

I am on the 500 X 2 ER and people tell me I'm alot more calmer and they see the change, I guess I was on the depressed side of the spectrum. It may also be that I am on Celexa as well. At first I was severely drowsy, but after about seven months in it kicks in. As far as weight gain goes same there no changes. Hair loss? Was already losing it. I have been on lithium and that didn't work, tried Tegretrol as well, come to find out I am allergic, so if I can feel normal and blood tests on liver and kidney comes back fine, hey I will give Depakote 2 big thumbs up with a normal life.

March 1, 2013 6:44 PM
Review by MANIC MISTY :) (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I have to say some of side effect's to DEPAKOTE ARE TOUGH! But the SIDE EFFECTS TO MY CONDITION IS & could be way worse- So I've been sticking to it & working through The SIDE EFFECTS. It's DEFINITELY a miracle pill- I am only at 3 weeks but I've never felt calm- NO racing thoughts & I feel HAPPIER- & I only have LITTLE anxiety at this time. Before, most weeks I'd end up in ER 3 x's DUE TO A PANIC ATTACK. SIDE EFFECTS: headache, staring, head feels funny like a electric shock, nauseous. My lips & tongue are twitching. Instant cold & clammy feeling. BUT I LOVE THE CALMNESS & all theses side effects have gone away & I feel like I am living like I've never lived! This medicine is AMAZING.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 15, 2013 11:52 PM
Review by Lindalouthenoo (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Just been diagnosed with Bi Polar Disorder after goodness knows how many years of episodes. Took my shrink the best part of 2 years to finally diagnose me after many different anti depressants, sleepless nights, racing thoughts, and wild partying till the early hours (sometimes on my own!!!). Just started on Depakote 3 weeks ago initally on 500mg per day which didn't help my mania, now on 500mg morning, and 500mg evening which calms me down, helps me sleep, deals with my irritability and mania, and generally slows me down. I have found that I get eye jolts ... fuzziness, but for the first time in 3 years (when it all started back up!), I am beginning to feel "NORMAL". We'll see how it goes. My consultant has mentioned Lithium also.

December 19, 2012 3:25 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

This medication has kept me stable for 4 years. I am now 23 and was on 1000mgs at night. I recently went down as my bloodtests came back to high. So I went back down to 700mg and had another manic episode. I am now in the process of finding a antipsychotic to go with it. I have managed to stay 110 lbs for 4 years with a healthy diet and exercise. The only side effects I had were major hair loss, slight tremors, and nausea. All of which have passed within a year

October 15, 2012 7:03 PM
Review by GlowChick (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I am a female, first diagnosed at age 19 with bipolar disorder. They first tried Zyprexa which I had a horrible reaction to. The Depakote made me feel like a zombie for months, until it brought me back down to "normal". I stayed on approx 500 mg/day for almost 6 years, then backing down to 250mg until I stopped. I had started to feel depressed at 31 and was put on Lexapro, this led to a manic episode within a few months. Alas I am back on Depakote 500mg/ day. It has saved me. Luckily no significant weight gain besides 10 lbs I lost being manic!) but I do work out and try to eat healthy.

October 14, 2012 4:01 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Depakote has been a life saver for me. I take 250mg in the morning and 500mg at bedtime. Weight gain was minimal. 5 lbs that I have lost recently by going on the South Beach Diet. I also take 200mg Zoloft. I sleep okay, but usually need a nap in the afternoon. I look forward to my life now instead of just existing.

October 3, 2012 11:25 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Manic bi-polarism for 7 years. Know I'm a type "A" person, Depokote, Effexer, zanix. I come from the medical field, lab and had seen people come in for blood work on everything from lithium to thorazine. I have (with M.D. agreement) backed down from 500mg ER Depokote, to 250mg ER every evening along with a sleeping pill. The sleeping pill is new, so next time I will give the name. When "they" found me, I was so gone into what we call our "BLACK HOLE". I truly have no idea what all they tried....BUT the Depakote, according to my wife (Nurse for 34 yrs) was my marriage and life saver.

June 20, 2012 11:40 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I am 20 and on 750 mg of Depakote a day. Gained 10-15 pounds within the first month of taking this medication, but now my weight is remaining stable. I am eating healthier and running each day though. When I first started taking it, I was so restless/anxious, I had to pace around like mad. It took about 3 weeks to really end my mania in combination with 2 mg risperidone. I am experiencing easy bruising now. Sleeping 10 hours a night. Have an irregular period. In general I move more slowly. I am cloudy in the morning. I don't get upset with my family anymore.

June 14, 2012 8:59 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I am 29 and just diagnosed with Bipolar after a horrible manic depression cycle. Its worked great to stablize my moods but I'm scared after reading everyone's weight gain stories! I will have to hitch up my diet and exercise plan more. One thing I noticed that I didn't see anyone else write is that I have these horrible and extremely vivid dreams - they seem to be my fears realized. But they are so vivid and real that they hang over me all day. Has anyone else experienced this?

June 1, 2012 12:39 AM