User Reviews for Depakote

Learn more about Depakote.

Depakote review summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Depakote to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by Depapecspecs (taken for 1 to 6 months):

It made me cognitively impaired, numb, have headaches and caused weight gain. Plus no energy.

October 3, 2014 9:15 PM

Review by akc110683:

I started on Depakote by my new neurologist. I've had bad depressions and bipolar attacks, but about 2 yrs ago I started having seizures. This new neurologist took me off of all my medicines and just put me on a low dose of Depakote. I've been seizure free and much happier in general. The only things are the constant snacking and I seem to catch colds and flus easier. Any advice about that?

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 27, 2014 10:41 PM

Review by Debbbiiieee (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was a Zombie and gained so much weight. Now I take Lamictal and so much better.

August 20, 2014 11:16 AM

Review by Timmaaaaa:

Depakote does wonders for me but have heard it's not well for others. I don't get many of the side effects except for the weight gain. But let's face it, why am I gaining weight? Because I'm not as stressed out anymore. I try and use it to my advantage being a weight lifter/exercise nut. Which is also a good thing for someone dealing with anxiety and depression by the way. I do have to say when I want to read something I can without having to go back and read it over again because I just had 33 1/2 things run through my head during the last sentence. I'm not saying it is for everyone but for me it is life changing. I hope this helps in your quest for finding the right script. I know it can be hell working it all out, but trust me you will get there!

August 1, 2014 7:55 AM

Review by Bolar1967 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

This medication helped my symptoms tremendously. The main issue I had (and had to stop taking the medication) was low platelet count. Please if you are on this medication have your platelets checked routinely. My therapist never told me this could be a side effect... I finally went to my family physician because I was bruising so badly.

June 30, 2014 9:38 PM

Review by TheGraduate (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have ADHD and Bipolar Type 2. I started seeing Depakote's first signs of mood stabilization after a week on 500mg daily (a very small dose). It was great to have a clear mind. At the low dose I've been on, I would say my Bipolar symptoms are about 75% under control, which is great. I can also sleep easier. In terms of side-effects, all I've gotten are vivid dreams on a nightly basis (not nightmares, but sometimes uncomfortable) and very brief auditory hallucinations (hear a loud bang, like a door closing, stuff like that). The hallucinations happen about two times per night, but I've been through worse hallucinations on SSRIs, so I am not too concerned. I also take between 20 and 30mg Dexedrine ER per day for my ADHD. It's been 3 weeks

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 4, 2014 11:58 PM

Review by Qbug223 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depakote was given to me for onset postpartum psychosis and underlying bipolar 1 as a mood stabilizer. It did it's job. Wonderful results mentally, obsessive thoughts were all but gone and combined with my antipsychotic, it made my life much better. But, the weight gain was hellish. I have gained 11 pounds in two weeks, and am looking at switching at my appointment on Monday. So, not good if you are looking for a weight neutral mood stabilizer.

January 10, 2014 11:52 PM

Review by gradstudent_10 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 five years ago and have been on many many medicines. I always took atypical antipsychotics, but never a true mood stabilizer. My new doctor put me on Depakote because I was getting neurological shaking symptoms from the atypical antipsychotic so she started me on Depakote and I have to say I love it. I'm up to 1000mg a day now, and as she lowers my atypical, she might have to increase the Depakote to 1500 mgs. No weight gain, in fact, I had weight loss. I was really hungry in the beginning and I might have gained a pound, but that went away and my appetite changed, vivid dreams (sometimes), but I can deal. I love this, I'm in such a better mood now.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2013 5:13 PM

Review by Stacyesd:

Best medicine ever for me. Started with lithium after diagnosis for bipolar. Lithium gave terrible side effects so after switching to Depakote, life became much easier for a chemically challenged like me. Took almost 1 year before 100%.

October 15, 2013 2:22 PM

Review by crazytoo (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Tried all other bi-polar medicines throughout the past 10 yrs. This one has the least side effects of them all. People tell me my behavior has vastly improved on Depakote. It's hard for me to see myself through other peoples eyes. But, sometimes maybe I should. Personally, for me, Depakote has been a life saver, I didn't want to live with it but find I can not live without it.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2013 10:54 PM

Review by Sweaty Mom (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on Depakote for 10 years. I can tell that it does calm me down. As most people are saying in this forum it does make me very tired. The symptoms that I have had for 10 years are extra sweating, (it seems to be coming from my scalp and down my face). Weight gain that I can't seem to lose, and I'm wondering if anyone else has a ringing or drumming in one or both ears. I've been to many Doctors just about my ear but they can't find anything wrong.

September 3, 2013 3:05 AM

Review by 40 yr old woman (taken for less than 1 month):

I took Depakote for bipolar and the very first night I had very vivid dreams which turned into nightmares and audio visual hallucinations. It's been 3 days and my dreams are not back to normal yet. I've read the reviews and it seems to work for most people. I haven't gotten a good night's sleep. My doctor put me back on Trileptal 300 mgs twice a day.

September 1, 2013 1:44 AM

Review by soul queen:

I've been on Depakote for 10 days. I also take 250mgs of quetiapine 50 mgs. My psychiatrist is reluctant to diagnose bipolar but seems to be treating me for it. I feel calmer so far on Depakote, but still feel a bit down. I was a bit high my psychiatrist said I wasn't manic.

August 24, 2013 4:31 PM

Review by Totally Sarcastic:

I was just newly diagnosed with bi-polar. I started feeling the effects of my antidepressants as they made me feel too euphoric and unhinged. There are days when I feel as though I can conquer the world and nothing can stand in my way and days when I feel low, as though the world is on top of me. Sometimes, I can laugh and then cry out of nowhere. It's like a roller-coaster ride that seems to get out of control. Anyway, I tried the lamotrigine and I could feel that it was stabilizing me, but it caused brain zaps. Now I am on Depakote @ 250 mg twice daily and I feel really good. It just depends on your system. Everyone is different. You have to find what is right for you.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 22, 2013 12:26 PM

Review by Patient67 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I started up on 250mg and ended up at 1500mg. I noticed very subtle effects if any. Hard to remember, I went through a lot and was on Seroquel also at the time. Seemed to have a slight calming effect. However after time it raised my liver enzymes and lowered my platelet count (which is a potential side effect) So I went off of it. I don't have many hypomanic episodes and never a manic episode so I don't know why my dose got that high. Didn't notice anything significant. Gained 20 lbs, made me sick and tired. Wasn't for me.

August 12, 2013 5:04 PM

Review by fifi87:

Could not afford Abilify out of pocket, started back on Depakote. I had no problem with gain weight. I do however find I tend to be a little more moody but less frequently. I take with bupropion XR. Seems to be a decent cocktail. Not too potent, and not under effective. I like how it does not create a sedative effect like antipsychotics.

August 10, 2013 1:59 AM

Review by braziej (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Has helped in manic episodes a little but still experience depressional relapses and moodiness.

July 25, 2013 2:10 PM

Review by mouseman76:

Have been Bipolar since 89. I have been on Depakote for 9 years, 500 mg x 3. I went from 210lbs to 304lbs. I have been on just about everything over the years. A little bit lethargic, but this seems to have stabilized me the best.

July 19, 2013 10:38 AM

Review by Brutalfashion (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For mood stabilization, depakote worked out well for me, but it also helped me gain about 50 lbs! Once I started slowly switching off it, the pounds started coming off.

July 18, 2013 5:17 PM

Review by Rach88 (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been on this for 3 weeks now. It has definitely helped my mania. But I'm still very depressed. I've been having very vivid nightmares. Which is strange because I take medicine for those. I also take Ambien and citolopram. I feel like that's a lot of chemicals in my body. I am a drinker but that hasn't seemed to affect anything. My side effects are pretty much exactly what I've been told and read up on. With the exception of the bad dreams. Blood work must be fine. Doc hasn't called. So far so good.

June 2, 2013 11:50 PM

Review by Anne78:

I've been on Depakote for almost a year now. I also take Paxil and Wellbutrin. I gained around 10lbs right from the start. My weight has seemed to have stayed steady the last few months. It's extremely hard to lose it. I have been through a lot of different medications to try and treat bipolar disorder. Even with the medicines I'm on, I'm still depressed and like I don't matter. I'm very sleepy and can lay down and take a nap at any time. I started taking B Complex because I stay so sleepy. My new concern is memory. I can't think of words and dates or names like movie stars very fast and it concerns me.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 15, 2013 9:55 PM

Review by jdk123777:

I am on the 500 X 2 ER and people tell me I'm alot more calmer and they see the change, I guess I was on the depressed side of the spectrum. It may also be that I am on Celexa as well. At first I was severely drowsy, but after about seven months in it kicks in. As far as weight gain goes same there no changes. Hair loss? Was already losing it. I have been on lithium and that didn't work, tried Tegretrol as well, come to find out I am allergic, so if I can feel normal and blood tests on liver and kidney comes back fine, hey I will give Depakote 2 big thumbs up with a normal life.

March 1, 2013 6:44 PM

Review by MANIC MISTY :) (taken for less than 1 month):

I have to say some of side effect's to DEPAKOTE ARE TOUGH! But the SIDE EFFECTS TO MY CONDITION IS & could be way worse- So I've been sticking to it & working through The SIDE EFFECTS. It's DEFINITELY a miracle pill- I am only at 3 weeks but I've never felt calm- NO racing thoughts & I feel HAPPIER- & I only have LITTLE anxiety at this time. Before, most weeks I'd end up in ER 3 x's DUE TO A PANIC ATTACK. SIDE EFFECTS: headache, staring, head feels funny like a electric shock, nauseous. My lips & tongue are twitching. Instant cold & clammy feeling. BUT I LOVE THE CALMNESS & all theses side effects have gone away & I feel like I am living like I've never lived! This medicine is AMAZING.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 15, 2013 11:52 PM

Review by Lindalouthenoo (taken for less than 1 month):

Just been diagnosed with Bi Polar Disorder after goodness knows how many years of episodes. Took my shrink the best part of 2 years to finally diagnose me after many different anti depressants, sleepless nights, racing thoughts, and wild partying till the early hours (sometimes on my own!!!). Just started on Depakote 3 weeks ago initally on 500mg per day which didn't help my mania, now on 500mg morning, and 500mg evening which calms me down, helps me sleep, deals with my irritability and mania, and generally slows me down. I have found that I get eye jolts ... fuzziness, but for the first time in 3 years (when it all started back up!), I am beginning to feel "NORMAL". We'll see how it goes. My consultant has mentioned Lithium also.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2012 3:25 PM

This medication has kept me stable for 4 years. I am now 23 and was on 1000mgs at night. I recently went down as my bloodtests came back to high. So I went back down to 700mg and had another manic episode. I am now in the process of finding a antipsychotic to go with it. I have managed to stay 110 lbs for 4 years with a healthy diet and exercise. The only side effects I had were major hair loss, slight tremors, and nausea. All of which have passed within a year

October 15, 2012 7:03 PM