User Reviews for Depakote

Learn more about Depakote.

Depakote Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 50 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Depakote to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I am not very fond of Depakote. When I took it it didn't improve my moodswings that much. In the beginning it made me nauseous & caused my hair to fall out. No, I didn't go bald, but it thinned out my hair enough that my hairstylist noticed. Eventually, my hair stopped falling out, but I gained a lot of weight & I had very bad tremors & bad coordination. If you do decide to take this medicine make sure your doctor tests your blood regularly. I think you are supposed to have your blood tested every 6 months."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 2, 2016

"I have been on depakote for about six months for bipolar II after being taken off lithium, I am feeling more like myself but still feel a slight emptiness and falseness, I am also taking lamotrigene and pregablin for extreme anxiety. I have put on nearly a stone in six months, I am also being tested for ADHD, I am 48 yrs old and have had this from when I was a child, when you have grown up with this you do not know any different until you become very ill, sorry for the rambling not sure if it makes sense. x"

amsay January 15, 2016

"I am honestly the happiest person ever since my Psychiatrist prescribed Depakote for me, NO MORE RAPID CYCLING!! I take two 500mg tablets about 20 minutes minutes before bed and I sleep throughout only waking up when my back aching in pain; I'll save that for my Baclofen and Prednisone post. I do not experience the manic highs as I was once did; however I still have my low days but everyone does! My low days are no where near the days when I on Trileptal or any SSRIs. I was taking Ability and Lithium for a week (this is my experience) I started seeing the world in two-dimensions, sort of like the early Nintendo characters. I freaking out!! That was it. Make sure to get blood tests every months to ensure your Depakote are in line. A "

dsran87 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 23, 2015

"Best medicine I've been on !!!! Focused,low anxiety,sleeping well no night terrors ."

Happyintexas (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2015

"My doc switched me from Prozac & Abilify to Depakote ER 500mg at bed time. I've been taking Depakote ER 500mg for almost 4 months now. Everyone in my life has noticed a positive change in me. I feel so calm within. My anxiety & insomnia are very much under control now. I'vw suffeerd with bipolar since my teens. I am 38yrs old. Depakote ER 500 has saved my life! I was done with psych meds & ready to just give up! I'm so glad I have such an amazing doc. No more changing my meds. Depakote ER 500mg in combo with Xanax 1mg 3x's per day has me back to feeling like myself again. Also, I don't need to take the xanax everyday or 3x's per day anymore. The Depakote ER 500mg works for numerous disorders I suffer from. I could go on about the pro's of this med."

Surviver (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2015

"I was recently diagnosed with Bipolar II. This medication has been a life saver (literally) for me. It has helped keep my emotions in check. I took another medication lamicital that caused one continuous headache that never went away. My psychiatrist started me on a low dose of that medication so I wouldn't get a deadly rash. My emotions were all over the place and I was miserable. My psychiatrist put me on Depakote. At first this medication made me sluggish and hungry. I gained 5 lbs in the first 2 weeks. Since then I have laid off the snacks and beverages and have since gotten adjusted to the meds (also taking Zoloft). Three pounds have come off without trying. Each person is different, but this has really worked for me."

clemsontigergrl (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2015

"I've taken a lot of meds in 19 years and took Depakote for around 1 yr. Weight gain about same as Lithium. This drug gave me hallucinations at night and freaked me out big time. Beware. I didn't hallucinate before the drug and now that I've stopped it 6 months ago - no Depakote = no hallucinations"

Medbag December 2, 2015

"I honestly don't know how many stars to give this medication as much as I've never had such an experience. I was in a coma light sleep when my therapist came, I heard myself say "we need to go to the airport" when actually I never said anything at all. I felt drunk waking up, started losing my hearing, it got cloudy. I only took it a month but being in that state of mind frightened me.I gave it up and my hearing is mostly back about 98 percent but my balance and coordination still suffers from the medication but has improved since I stopped it. I was so upset that I called the FDA and reported my experience, I would hate for anyone to go through that.On the plus side? When I was awake and aware and not "drunk" it did help my manic episodes."

Gage Goliath October 6, 2015

"I was diagnosed as bipolar 2 20 years ago and use lithium as mood stabilizer. After a period of discontinuation of drug I switch to depakote and after that I have disk herniation problem and ear pain ."

ehsandro September 9, 2015

"I have to say this drug did more harm then good and my body is very dependent on it. In only a year span I started having serious weight and back issues. I have never had any issues with my back but all of a sudden my bones started to get brittle. Then the disc herniations started happening, and like a domino effect entire spine was damaged. I see along of info on children or babies effected with their spine but apparently it can do the same for a grown adult. I was put on this med for anxiety and what my dr thought was bp. Turns out as time goes by dr lowers my depakote and cAme to the conclusion I do not have bp. Great.. Damage done.. Abnormal EEG. , spine damage, and severe chemical dependency .. Lost my hair , my looks, weight ."

Chrissyanddan (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 19, 2015

"This was my first medication for Bi-Polar, I'm a 40 year old woman and a long distance runner. This medication was great because it made the rapid thoughts and anxiety go away. However if you're an athlete like I am, I found this difficult as it caused extreme fatigue to the point where I was a couch potato not wanting to do anything. I gained 10 pounds in the first month and found it exhausting to run even a mile where I'm accustomed to running much more. My doctor is switching me to Topamax, today will be my first day taking it and I'm praying for good results."

BellaSN40 July 22, 2015

"Being un-diagnosed bi-polar for almost 40 years having many manic breaks until one was so big I wound up hospitalized. I was put on Topamax, Prozac and Lunesta. With a Bi-Polar type II diagnosis I had to change my lifestyle. Already in recovery I approached mental health in the same way.Topamax soon wasn't enough so my doc tried Latuda and it didn't work. Depakote is working great I am finally myself! Yes it makes me hungry I just keep my calorie count the same. The med doesn't cause weight gain - my decisions do. With how well it works I'd take some curves and feel this awesome any day!!"

Jayhawk75 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2015

"Since 2006 I have been on some sort of med for my depression or what my family doctor thought was depression. First med was Lexapro and boy did it send me into a manic stage. Never felt so high in my life, a cloud was lifted. That drug worked for a while but soon after it lost its effectiveness. Tried about every SSRI on the market until we ran out and at that point I did not want to live anymore. Family dr sent me to a psychiatric hospital in which I saw my first pyschiatrist who said my OCD was the root of my depression so he put me on Luvox along with my Klonopin. After a while I seemed better but not for long. Been on Depakote ER 1000MG ever since and everything seems fine, except weight gain. Mood better."

Rusty1133 June 17, 2015

"Depakote worked for me as a mood stabilizer, but caused a lot of side effects. Weight gain = 30 pounds in 3 months and pancreatitis. Doctors didn't realize the pancreatitis was from the combination of two of my medications until I had it three times - pancreatitis is excruciatingly painful and lead to me losing my job from losing so much time at work. I'm giving this medication a low rating event though it worked well for my mood because there are so many other medications out there for bipolar that are weight neutral and don't cause organ damage."

BAEEEEEEE (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 30, 2015

"Depakote didn't seem to do much with my mood swings."

Dragonley (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2015

"My husband says Depakote is having a positive impact on me as well as our family! I'm not in bed all day or hanging around the bedroom. I'm up and about the house. Since decluttered, even organized! My personality has blossomed too. The last six years I tried a wide spectrum of medications; Seroquel, Lamictal, Latuda, zonisamide, carbamazepine to name a few! My bipolar worsened five years ago after our last child. The side effects were hair shedding within three weeks but no significant weight gain. I have always had a thick head of hair so it's not really noticeable but I can tell one side limp and not hanging full. I've started biotin along with a multivitamin. My Doc also told me to try a zinc a supplement. Overall I feel it is working."

D. Peoples (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2015

"By chance I started taking Depakote around the time that my SAD normally kicks in and after a month it had stopped it dead in it's tracks; no depression and only very mild manic episodes. I'm also now experiencing a sense of inner calm and mental clarity than I ever thought possible. No side effects other than vivid dreams and some weight gain, which is par the course for me this time of year anyway and a small price to pay for the improvements I'm seeing."

Matthew H December 28, 2014

"I'm on Depokote 250mg in the morning and 500mg at night. I am also on olanzapine 5mg and fluoxetine 20mg which works wonders together. I have bipolar and whilst on Depokote suffered a bad spell of depression so was put on fluoxetine which has changed my life, I'm such a happier calmer person now."

Tigerbeck (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 20, 2014

"I recently found out I was bipolar 2 at the age of 24. I was 16 getting panic attacks didn't think anything of it. Finally I started getting more stress as I got older. I was on an antidepressant for 4 years not knowing I was bipolar. Someone who is bipolar should not just take an antidepressant because it will just put them into mania. That is what was happening to me. I checked myself into the hospital for intrusive thoughts, I'm not depressed I don't want to hurt anyone or myself but didn't know why these thoughts were coming so often. I also suffer from severe anxiety. I now take 40mg of Prozac 500mg of Depakote and 0.5mg of Ativan twice a day on Ativan. My medicines are starting to work wonders for me. I'm me again!"

Crazymed (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2014

"It made me cognitively impaired, numb, have headaches and caused weight gain. Plus no energy."

Depapecspecs (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2014

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started on Depakote by my new neurologist. I've had bad depressions and bipolar attacks, but about 2 yrs ago I started having seizures. This new neurologist took me off of all my medicines and just put me on a low dose of Depakote. I've been seizure free and much happier in general. The only things are the constant snacking and I seem to catch colds and flus easier. Any advice about that?"

akc110683 September 27, 2014

"I was a Zombie and gained so much weight. Now I take Lamictal and so much better. "

Debbbiiieee (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2014

"Depakote does wonders for me but have heard it's not well for others. I don't get many of the side effects except for the weight gain. But let's face it, why am I gaining weight? Because I'm not as stressed out anymore. I try and use it to my advantage being a weight lifter/exercise nut. Which is also a good thing for someone dealing with anxiety and depression by the way. I do have to say when I want to read something I can without having to go back and read it over again because I just had 33 1/2 things run through my head during the last sentence. I'm not saying it is for everyone but for me it is life changing. I hope this helps in your quest for finding the right script. I know it can be hell working it all out, but trust me you will get there!"

Timmaaaaa August 1, 2014

154 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medication helped my symptoms tremendously. The main issue I had (and had to stop taking the medication) was low platelet count. Please if you are on this medication have your platelets checked routinely. My therapist never told me this could be a side effect... I finally went to my family physician because I was bruising so badly."

Bolar1967 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 30, 2014

"I have ADHD and Bipolar Type 2. I started seeing Depakote's first signs of mood stabilization after a week on 500mg daily (a very small dose). It was great to have a clear mind. At the low dose I've been on, I would say my Bipolar symptoms are about 75% under control, which is great. I can also sleep easier. In terms of side-effects, all I've gotten are vivid dreams on a nightly basis (not nightmares, but sometimes uncomfortable) and very brief auditory hallucinations (hear a loud bang, like a door closing, stuff like that). The hallucinations happen about two times per night, but I've been through worse hallucinations on SSRIs, so I am not too concerned. I also take between 20 and 30mg Dexedrine ER per day for my ADHD. It's been 3 weeks"

TheGraduate (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2014

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 Next