User Reviews for Depakote

Learn more about Depakote.

Depakote Review Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Depakote to treat Bipolar Disorder

"This was my first medication for Bi-Polar, I'm a 40 year old woman and a long distance runner. This medication was great because it made the rapid thoughts and anxiety go away. However if you're an athlete like I am, I found this difficult as it caused extreme fatigue to the point where I was a couch potato not wanting to do anything. I gained 10 pounds in the first month and found it exhausting to run even a mile where I'm accustomed to running much more. My doctor is switching me to Topamax, today will be my first day taking it and I'm praying for good results."

BellaSN40 July 22, 2015

"Being un-diagnosed bi-polar for almost 40 years having many manic breaks until one was so big I wound up hospitalized. I was put on Topamax, Prozac and Lunesta. With a Bi-Polar type II diagnosis I had to change my lifestyle. Already in recovery I approached mental health in the same way.Topamax soon wasn't enough so my doc tried Latuda and it didn't work. Depakote is working great I am finally myself! Yes it makes me hungry I just keep my calorie count the same. The med doesn't cause weight gain - my decisions do. With how well it works I'd take some curves and feel this awesome any day!!"

Jayhawk75 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2015

"Since 2006 I have been on some sort of med for my depression or what my family doctor thought was depression. First med was Lexapro and boy did it send me into a manic stage. Never felt so high in my life, a cloud was lifted. That drug worked for a while but soon after it lost its effectiveness. Tried about every SSRI on the market until we ran out and at that point I did not want to live anymore. Family dr sent me to a psychiatric hospital in which I saw my first pyschiatrist who said my OCD was the root of my depression so he put me on Luvox along with my Klonopin. After a while I seemed better but not for long. Been on Depakote ER 1000MG ever since and everything seems fine, except weight gain. Mood better."

Rusty1133 June 17, 2015

"Depakote worked for me as a mood stabilizer, but caused a lot of side effects. Weight gain = 30 pounds in 3 months and pancreatitis. Doctors didn't realize the pancreatitis was from the combination of two of my medications until I had it three times - pancreatitis is excruciatingly painful and lead to me losing my job from losing so much time at work. I'm giving this medication a low rating event though it worked well for my mood because there are so many other medications out there for bipolar that are weight neutral and don't cause organ damage."

BAEEEEEEE (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 30, 2015

"Depakote didn't seem to do much with my mood swings."

Dragonley (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2015

"My husband says Depakote is having a positive impact on me as well as our family! I'm not in bed all day or hanging around the bedroom. I'm up and about the house. Since decluttered, even organized! My personality has blossomed too. The last six years I tried a wide spectrum of medications; Seroquel, Lamictal, Latuda, zonisamide, carbamazepine to name a few! My bipolar worsened five years ago after our last child. The side effects were hair shedding within three weeks but no significant weight gain. I have always had a thick head of hair so it's not really noticeable but I can tell one side limp and not hanging full. I've started biotin along with a multivitamin. My Doc also told me to try a zinc a supplement. Overall I feel it is working."

D. Peoples (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2015

"By chance I started taking Depakote around the time that my SAD normally kicks in and after a month it had stopped it dead in it's tracks; no depression and only very mild manic episodes. I'm also now experiencing a sense of inner calm and mental clarity than I ever thought possible. No side effects other than vivid dreams and some weight gain, which is par the course for me this time of year anyway and a small price to pay for the improvements I'm seeing."

Matthew H December 28, 2014

"I'm on Depokote 250mg in the morning and 500mg at night. I am also on olanzapine 5mg and fluoxetine 20mg which works wonders together. I have bipolar and whilst on Depokote suffered a bad spell of depression so was put on fluoxetine which has changed my life, I'm such a happier calmer person now."

Tigerbeck (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 20, 2014

"I recently found out I was bipolar 2 at the age of 24. I was 16 getting panic attacks didn't think anything of it. Finally I started getting more stress as I got older. I was on an antidepressant for 4 years not knowing I was bipolar. Someone who is bipolar should not just take an antidepressant because it will just put them into mania. That is what was happening to me. I checked myself into the hospital for intrusive thoughts, I'm not depressed I don't want to hurt anyone or myself but didn't know why these thoughts were coming so often. I also suffer from severe anxiety. I now take 40mg of Prozac 500mg of Depakote and 0.5mg of Ativan twice a day on Ativan. My medicines are starting to work wonders for me. I'm me again!"

Crazymed (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2014

"It made me cognitively impaired, numb, have headaches and caused weight gain. Plus no energy."

Depapecspecs (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2014

"I started on Depakote by my new neurologist. I've had bad depressions and bipolar attacks, but about 2 yrs ago I started having seizures. This new neurologist took me off of all my medicines and just put me on a low dose of Depakote. I've been seizure free and much happier in general. The only things are the constant snacking and I seem to catch colds and flus easier. Any advice about that?"

akc110683 September 27, 2014

"I was a Zombie and gained so much weight. Now I take Lamictal and so much better. "

Debbbiiieee (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2014

"Depakote does wonders for me but have heard it's not well for others. I don't get many of the side effects except for the weight gain. But let's face it, why am I gaining weight? Because I'm not as stressed out anymore. I try and use it to my advantage being a weight lifter/exercise nut. Which is also a good thing for someone dealing with anxiety and depression by the way. I do have to say when I want to read something I can without having to go back and read it over again because I just had 33 1/2 things run through my head during the last sentence. I'm not saying it is for everyone but for me it is life changing. I hope this helps in your quest for finding the right script. I know it can be hell working it all out, but trust me you will get there!"

Timmaaaaa August 1, 2014

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medication helped my symptoms tremendously. The main issue I had (and had to stop taking the medication) was low platelet count. Please if you are on this medication have your platelets checked routinely. My therapist never told me this could be a side effect... I finally went to my family physician because I was bruising so badly."

Bolar1967 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 30, 2014

"I have ADHD and Bipolar Type 2. I started seeing Depakote's first signs of mood stabilization after a week on 500mg daily (a very small dose). It was great to have a clear mind. At the low dose I've been on, I would say my Bipolar symptoms are about 75% under control, which is great. I can also sleep easier. In terms of side-effects, all I've gotten are vivid dreams on a nightly basis (not nightmares, but sometimes uncomfortable) and very brief auditory hallucinations (hear a loud bang, like a door closing, stuff like that). The hallucinations happen about two times per night, but I've been through worse hallucinations on SSRIs, so I am not too concerned. I also take between 20 and 30mg Dexedrine ER per day for my ADHD. It's been 3 weeks"

TheGraduate (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2014

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Depakote was given to me for onset postpartum psychosis and underlying bipolar 1 as a mood stabilizer. It did it's job. Wonderful results mentally, obsessive thoughts were all but gone and combined with my antipsychotic, it made my life much better. But, the weight gain was hellish. I have gained 11 pounds in two weeks, and am looking at switching at my appointment on Monday. So, not good if you are looking for a weight neutral mood stabilizer."

Qbug223 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2014

"I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 five years ago and have been on many many medicines. I always took atypical antipsychotics, but never a true mood stabilizer. My new doctor put me on Depakote because I was getting neurological shaking symptoms from the atypical antipsychotic so she started me on Depakote and I have to say I love it. I'm up to 1000mg a day now, and as she lowers my atypical, she might have to increase the Depakote to 1500 mgs. No weight gain, in fact, I had weight loss. I was really hungry in the beginning and I might have gained a pound, but that went away and my appetite changed, vivid dreams (sometimes), but I can deal. I love this, I'm in such a better mood now."

gradstudent_10 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2013

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Best medicine ever for me. Started with lithium after diagnosis for bipolar. Lithium gave terrible side effects so after switching to Depakote, life became much easier for a chemically challenged like me. Took almost 1 year before 100%."

Stacyesd October 15, 2013

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Tried all other bi-polar medicines throughout the past 10 yrs. This one has the least side effects of them all. People tell me my behavior has vastly improved on Depakote. It's hard for me to see myself through other peoples eyes. But, sometimes maybe I should. Personally, for me, Depakote has been a life saver, I didn't want to live with it but find I can not live without it."

crazytoo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 20, 2013

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Depakote for 10 years. I can tell that it does calm me down. As most people are saying in this forum it does make me very tired. The symptoms that I have had for 10 years are extra sweating, (it seems to be coming from my scalp and down my face). Weight gain that I can't seem to lose, and I'm wondering if anyone else has a ringing or drumming in one or both ears. I've been to many Doctors just about my ear but they can't find anything wrong. "

Sweaty Mom (taken for 10 years or more) September 3, 2013

"I took Depakote for bipolar and the very first night I had very vivid dreams which turned into nightmares and audio visual hallucinations. It's been 3 days and my dreams are not back to normal yet. I've read the reviews and it seems to work for most people. I haven't gotten a good night's sleep. My doctor put me back on Trileptal 300 mgs twice a day."

40 yr old woman (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2013

"I've been on Depakote for 10 days. I also take 250mgs of quetiapine 50 mgs. My psychiatrist is reluctant to diagnose bipolar but seems to be treating me for it. I feel calmer so far on Depakote, but still feel a bit down. I was a bit high my psychiatrist said I wasn't manic."

soul queen August 24, 2013

"I was just newly diagnosed with bi-polar. I started feeling the effects of my antidepressants as they made me feel too euphoric and unhinged. There are days when I feel as though I can conquer the world and nothing can stand in my way and days when I feel low, as though the world is on top of me. Sometimes, I can laugh and then cry out of nowhere. It's like a roller-coaster ride that seems to get out of control. Anyway, I tried the lamotrigine and I could feel that it was stabilizing me, but it caused brain zaps. Now I am on Depakote @ 250 mg twice daily and I feel really good. It just depends on your system. Everyone is different. You have to find what is right for you."

Totally Sarcastic August 22, 2013

"I started up on 250mg and ended up at 1500mg. I noticed very subtle effects if any. Hard to remember, I went through a lot and was on Seroquel also at the time. Seemed to have a slight calming effect. However after time it raised my liver enzymes and lowered my platelet count (which is a potential side effect) So I went off of it. I don't have many hypomanic episodes and never a manic episode so I don't know why my dose got that high. Didn't notice anything significant. Gained 20 lbs, made me sick and tired. Wasn't for me."

Patient67 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 12, 2013

"Could not afford Abilify out of pocket, started back on Depakote. I had no problem with gain weight. I do however find I tend to be a little more moody but less frequently. I take with bupropion XR. Seems to be a decent cocktail. Not too potent, and not under effective. I like how it does not create a sedative effect like antipsychotics."

fifi87 August 10, 2013